Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That pixelation is so hipster, Chris.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
To people who objected the "no one makes those game anymore". Well, it's not that I want to argue and I agree that's it's not the best thing to mention in an official presentation.
But as a gamer I would like to uphold my statement that no one makes such games anymore. I mean which game is FPP (not isometic veiw or top down view), with a huge overworld (not a dungeon crawler) and an old-school feel? I coud not trace even a single one. I really feel, as a gamer, that no one makes such games anymore.

Ya got me there with them not-being dungeon crawlers. There's been a shitload of games that tick all the boxes (most coming from Japan, which for many is a no-go, though), except for that particular point. In any case there's Grimoire as already mentioned, and — following the spirit of BaK—, Call of Saregnar. Closer to Bard's Tale you'll find Devil Whiskey; and there's even an android game! Quest Lord, though this one has the peculiarity of being single player. At least as far as I went.
Reconsidering it, you are right after all: it is a lonely road you're traversing.

In any case, you needn't take heed of what I say. After all it's just an opinion, and as you can see there are already several posters that don't share my view. But for whatever its worth, I'll explain myself:

With the aftermath of the kickstarter boom, nowadays name-dropping and calling for the glory of ages past feels more like a device to gain street-cred from possible buyers/supporters than anything else.
I mean, just look at what we got. So many promises, and we ended up with numanuma, poe, wasteland, that JA abortion, the whole project phoenix clusterfuck... is that system shock remake ever gonna come thru?
You'll understand my finding difficult to place my trust on any developer simply because he can prove he knows the classics.

Now, as to comparing oneself against what others do or do not... it just feels so cheap. If I should be interested in what you're bringing to the table, it should be based on how you present its own merits; regardless of whether it is a game, a book, or a music album.
Any form human expression will always be tied to the environment that saw its birth, but that doesn't mean it should carry it around everywhere. 2001 isn't a great movie for the sixties. It's a great movie. Full stop. That's what I believe one should always strive for, timeless quality.

I would take Dorateen 's argument and tell you to do the exact opposite for the very same reason: you're creating a game for a very specific niche. The ones who know the games you're taking inspiration from don't need you telling them what they are, as it's plainly visible, and the one's that had no experience with them will learn nothing in knowing where you're coming from.

I believe you could take cue as a nice and professional way of presenting your vision for the game from AoD's site, for example.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. I'm not omniscient, my ideas might very well be flawed. Read it and take what best suits you, but as the other poster said, don't let that compromise your vision.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
One thing I would caution, is to be wary of casual players who might feign a passing interest in your project. Remember your audience, the old school players who grew up with these kinds of computer role-playing games. And never compromise your vision.
Don't worry, I'm a small indie and I always try to target a niche, not mass market.
Besides, if/when I feel the urge to make a mass market casual one, I could simply make another title using this engine :D

Legends of Amberland will be a hardcore, niche, old-school product, just like the games I played in the 90s. Targetted at old-geezers like me who grew up on such games and wanted to go back there for a while and feel again the old wibes of exploring those rich squarish worlds.

And I agree with your statement as well. The only computer role-playing game that fits the style you are going for is Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. And that is made in the image of Wizardry 7, while you are showing something with the look and feel of Xeen/Terra Might & Magic. There is certainly a need to be filled in this realm of party-based, turn based dungeon crawlers, and Legends of Amberland will be a a welcome addition.
Right, I forgot about Grimoire, it counts. Since it was in development for more than 10 years I simply forgot it's a modern game released recently :D

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Is it me or the "animation" on impact slows down the game ?
If that's the case, you're better off without it, M&M strength is its speed, you can take your time for tough fights but you can also get rid of weaker mobs faster than light because each action takes half a second.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Is it me or the "animation" on impact slows down the game ?
If that's the case, you're better off without it, M&M strength is its speed, you can take your time for tough fights but you can also get rid of weaker mobs faster than light because each action takes half a second.
There are delays for animation (otherwise you won't notice anything and it will really messy). I suppose I will add some setting to adjust the combat speed (Slow, Normal, Fast, Very Fast). Same for text notification speed (like where you find treasures), althrough maybe an infinite notice (displayed until you move) would be better for treasures?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How long do you think it will take to finish it?

The items look pretty interesting with the effects written right underneath them. I like it. There should be a good amount of interesting and weird unique items too.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
How long do you think it will take to finish it?

The items look pretty interesting with the effects written right underneath them. I like it. There should be a good amount of interesting and weird unique items too.
It's planned to be released around Q1-Q2 2019.

Yes, I planned the items to be interestingly unique but note there is a catch :) There are not that many items total (no randomised ones, every single one is hand crafted possibly with lore text added) plus monsters do not drop items (with some exceptions). You find those in chests and obtain via quests. So it was a controversial choice, quantity vs quality.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Drm free download and this looks like I would absolutely buy it. Reminds me of MM6, which I really liked.
I think everyone, except the most stubborn super big companies, make DRM free only nowadays.
Anyway, sure, it will be DRM free.

ushas

Savant
Well, a lot of indies go steam only. Depends how you see it, the requirement to install steam client can be considered as drm.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Well, a lot of indies go steam only. Depends how you see it, the requirement to install steam client can be considered as drm.
If you can run the executable of the game to play it while steam is totally nuked from your system and not installed - then it doesn't have steam DRM.

However I do consider having to install steam and create an account just in order to download a game in that sort of case an additional pain in the ass that is 100% entirely unnecessary and only enforced by Valve (realistically there is no reason here they couldn't let you direct download from the internet at this point like every other sane digital distributor on the planet) to corral users into their kike drm botnet platform. But I digress, if the only time you ever need to willfully install malware is to initially download installers that you can then archive offline to use without steam anywhere near any device you want to play the game on in the future, I would think it is DRM free.

edit: Honestly from a buyer perspective, the cleanest, easiest, and least intrusive method is to just have one of these widgets on your website. Enter card details, paypal, or amazon to pay and then you just get a download, no middleman - it just fucking works. Which seeing from OP's website, he does already provide for his other game, Stellar Monarch. :salute:
Screen_Shot_2017-04-28_at_1.26.17_PM.png

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
If you can run the executable of the game to play it while steam is totally nuked from your system and not installed - then it doesn't have steam DRM.

However I do consider having to install steam and create an account just in order to download a game in that sort of case an additional pain in the ass that is 100% entirely unnecessary and only enforced by Valve (realistically there is no reason here they couldn't let you direct download from the internet at this point like every other sane digital distributor on the planet) to corral users into their kike drm botnet platform. But I digress, if the only time you ever need to willfully install malware is to initially download installers that you can then archive offline to use without steam anywhere near any device you want to play the game on in the future, I would think it is DRM free.
Yeah, meant for download, not knowing any more specifics. Thanks for further info. It's a kind of silly they don't allow normal download, or at least give devs a choice in that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Animations are unnecessary. I suppose if they must be there better to make them as fast as possible.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
The Forgotten Crown... is that subtitle a new addition? This continues to look outstanding, and can't wait to play!
Not exactly. Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is the full title. But I frequently use just Legends of Amberland, since it's shorter :) Also FB, Twitter, etc uses the Legends of Amberland alone without subtitle (it would be too long).

Hmm, maybe I should change the YT playlist name to the full title?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom