Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah the pixel art is pretty decent-looking.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks very good, nice opening sequence too.

I really liked the seamless transition from the overworld to entering the castle in the previous video - I would definitely include that in a release trailer. Maybe also show the detailed page of some awesome weapons for a few seconds. The inventory screen part of the video looks a bit jumpy, but that is about the only criticism I can find.

Also, if characters can be created on startup I would definitely mention that. Right now it looks like those are 7 pre-made characters.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So far so good even if i would have preferred a higher resolution, monsters look better from afar.

If your story and quests are interesting, it's probably a go for me.
Did you play "The Quest" game ? It has interesting quests if you need some inspiration.

Also, riddles like in Might & Magic V and below games would be a bonus.

Martyr

Arcane
I think I will launch Steram "Coming Soon" page in a few days.

your game looks really good, certainly an insta-buy.
would be great if you could also sell the game DRM-free on itch/humble/gamersgate for those who despise steam.

Luzur

Good Sir
Do monsters move on the map? anyway, came here to post the video, but you already had so....

EDIT: there, changed it for ya

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
your game looks really good, certainly an insta-buy.
would be great if you could also sell the game DRM-free on itch/humble/gamersgate for those who despise steam.
How about GoG?
gog would be the obvious choice but I've seen them turn down so many good or promising games in the recent past.
I'd encourage you to submit your game to gog but don't get your hopes up; they don't seem to like old school RPGs anymore.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
How about GoG?
How about how you sell your other game with just a widget on your website? GoG is fine to me, but the former method is even less intrusive because you don't even need an account, if that's something that is a barrier to others.

I am a bit concerned about the game on one point though. You say early this year is the planned release, but the progress videos up to this point have all indicated alpha status. The last thing I would want is for you to be rushing a release and the game to suffer. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like it has been blazingly fast compared to other games in alpha, I would have predicted Q1 2020 myself.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Looks very good, nice opening sequence too.

I really liked the seamless transition from the overworld to entering the castle in the previous video - I would definitely include that in a release trailer. Maybe also show the detailed page of some awesome weapons for a few seconds. The inventory screen part of the video looks a bit jumpy, but that is about the only criticism I can find.

Also, if characters can be created on startup I would definitely mention that. Right now it looks like those are 7 pre-made characters.
Yes, characters can be created on startup. I agree it might be somewhat misleading in the trailer.

If your story and quests are interesting, it's probably a go for me.
Did you play "The Quest" game ? It has interesting quests if you need some inspiration.

Also, riddles like in Might & Magic V and below games would be a bonus.
Nope, have not player it. Thanks for the tip!

As for riddles... I don't know...

How about how you sell your other game with just a widget on your website? GoG is fine to me, but the former method is even less intrusive because you don't even need an account, if that's something that is a barrier to others.

I am a bit concerned about the game on one point though. You say early this year is the planned release, but the progress videos up to this point have all indicated alpha status. The last thing I would want is for you to be rushing a release and the game to suffer. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like it has been blazingly fast compared to other games in alpha, I would have predicted Q1 2020 myself.
You say widget on website is better for users? I mean would you personally prefer it over INSERT_HERE_YOUR_FAVOURITE_ONLINE_STORE?

As for development pace and deadlines, it's a topic I could go on for ages. The short story is, I always keep myself under time pressure, otherwise I would never release any game since I would be adjusting it and redesigning over and over infinitely :) At least that's how it works for me. In the end I'm never satisfied with a game I'm releasing, which is quite funny when a game like Stellar Monarch gets "Very Positive" overall Steam rating, so it definitely was good in the players eyes. It's really hard to judge ones own work... Plus, I noticed (again, it might be personal not a general truth) than spending too much time on a project tends to result in an inferior product (overcomplicated, the first concept being better, feature creep which confuses players, etc). If I spend too much time on it I tend to end up cutting down some featuresand rolling back to earlier versions.
But yeah, it will be tough and challenging, as always :D

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
You say widget on website is better for users? I mean would you personally prefer it over INSERT_HERE_YOUR_FAVOURITE_ONLINE_STORE?

As for development pace and deadlines, it's a topic I could go on for ages. The short story is, I always keep myself under time pressure, otherwise I would never release any game since I would be adjusting it and redesigning over and over infinitely :) At least that's how it works for me. In the end I'm never satisfied with a game I'm releasing, which is quite funny when a game like Stellar Monarch gets "Very Positive" overall Steam rating, so it definitely was good in the players eyes. It's really hard to judge ones own work... Plus, I noticed (again, it might be personal not a general truth) than spending too much time on a project tends to result in an inferior product (overcomplicated, the first concept being better, feature creep which confuses players, etc). If I spend too much time on it I tend to end up cutting down some featuresand rolling back to earlier versions.
But yeah, it will be tough and challenging, as always :D

Not having to make accounts or especially download and install software in order to even download the game, let alone play it, is always objectively better for users. I would use a direct download from website as the first priority, if it wasn't there my only other option is GOG.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So many old or retro RPGs with the word "amber" in the title! Ambermoon, Amberstar, Nine Princes In Amber, etc. Makes me bleed through the mouth and want to shout, "Call the amberlamps!"

Martyr

Arcane
So many old or retro RPGs with the word "amber" in the title! Ambermoon, Amberstar, Nine Princes In Amber, etc. Makes me bleed through the mouth and want to shout, "Call the amberlamps!"
also books:
22745349445.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Looks really cool. The only thing that jumps out as "off" to me is the music. I recall the early M&M music being much more upbeat and low-fi.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
also books:
22745349445.jpg

Ick. Those cheap Science Fiction Book Club editions of the venerable Roger Zelazny series. You should be ashamed of yourself. I had those exact editions. Then I sold them to my local Science Fiction & Role Playing book store for $ 0.50 each. Then a month later I went back to that book store and tried to sell him all my other Science Fiction Book Club editions and the owner said to me, rather sternly, in his thick southern drawl (though the store was located in Worcester Massachusetts): "No more! I can't get rid of them!" I told him he just needed to lower his prices, like the $ 0.10 - $ 0.25 stacks of Hustler & Oui magazine he sold in the basement section of his bookstore with the front and back covers torn off.

Martyr

Arcane
also books:
22745349445.jpg

Ick. Those cheap Science Fiction Book Club editions of the venerable Roger Zelazny series. You should be ashamed of yourself.
that's just a google picture, I've got an all-in-one-book edition. :lol:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I went all digital about five years ago. Too much to move otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom