Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Dorateen

Arcane
I like the information screen you posted as part of the update. Reminds me of Corak's notes on the different locales in Might & Magic III

d31cf8e24edf6f34295c9aee487f7eb4f24a98b7.png

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Digital distribution was what I had in mind. While an artistic map might be a bit excessive for this project, I think seeing the zones of Amberland all fit together including points of interest, would be pretty cool.
In the meantime you can use this cheap substitute I have drawn myself during development (warning, it can be considered a light spoiler) :D
https://twitter.com/SilverLemur/status/1049342496139091968

newtmonkey

Arcane
Pretty hyped about v1.0 tomorrow! I bought the game a couple weeks ago and loved what I played (2 hours), but decided to wait until v1 to continue. Congrats on an awesome game, and a pox on GOG for turning it down! Hopefully they will reconsider at some point.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Might very well end up with a d1p. What's the codexian consensus for the latest versions?

Dorateen

Arcane
What's the codexian consensus for the latest versions?

I've only played the alpha version at the end of last year. I was instantly hooked, specifically because the game accomplishes what a Might & Magic 3-5 game is supposed to do. Since then, over the past eight months, the developer has added new classes and sub races, and worked on raising the level of challenge. There has clearly been the necessary attention to detail given here.

newtmonkey

Arcane
AdolfSatan

I played it a couple weeks ago, but just for 2 hours (decided to wait for v1 since it was only a couple weeks away).
Like M&M3-5? You'll love it. In an alternate world, this was M&M 3.
Like blobbers in general? You'll like or love it.

My only complaint is with the low res enemies, but to be honest, after 30 mins or so it didn't bother me at all.

Great music btw.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
BTW, for Codexians recommended difficulty is Hard, not Normal :)

At least that's my determination based on feedback gathered during EA. I suppose, some of you might even want to go for Insane, but I personally do not endorse anyone going for Insane difficulty (but I know there will be some people complaining that even Insane is too easy, well, life :D)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm releasing it today, it will be mayhem (after clicking the "Release" button the emails always start to flow :D) so I probably won't be able drop by today to post here, someone, please post about it here once it's out, thanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like it's out:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/873890/announcements/detail/1589127074038035671

Version 1.00 released
1 AUG @ 7:19PM - CHRIS KOŹMIK

Finally, the game leaves Early Access. After several years of working on this (when I add up all the abandoned prototypes, rewrites, reuse of older code and so on, this would be the longest in development game I made), the game is going to be released. I'm quite happy with the state of the game, of course one could always improve something and could do it for another 10, 20 or even 30 years and one still have the filling something more could be added or improved. But one need to call the end one day and push it out of the door for players to enjoy.

What's next. First there are some minor things (linguistic check was not fully completed yet, a few images are still missing and some other cosmetic things need to be done, it will be done in versions above 1.00+ during the next 3 months). So please overlook the minor things during next few months, I'm aware of those and those will be dealt with. But other than that the game is complete. There might be some balance tweaks if needed (especially for Hard and Insane difficulties), interface improvements and other minor things, but I will not touch gameplay (quests, story, world, etc), the game is complete in this regard.

Version 1.00 is mostly polish and last minute changes. There is one important change, monsters can't move through doors now, I believe it adds another layer of thrill and tactics plus it solves some minor problems and inconsistencies.

- [feature] Monsters can no longer move through doors. It is more interesting gameplay wise (danger of monsters preparing an ambush just after the player passes through the door, adds some thrill and more meaning to doors), it's also more consistent with how the player moves.

- [balance] The last boss made stronger.
- [balance] The Red Knight made stronger.

- [misc] Files cleanup (removed test files that were used during Early Access, this makes the package smaller).

- [design] Watchdog castle enlarged.

- [gfx] New icon for the application.
- [interface] Adjusted checkbox button (made it pixelated like the rest of the UI).

- [fix] Occasionally monsters being able to move through walls.

9bfa22593653617dcc5c588a3b055be42bd8d0f2.png

Last edited:

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
If someone uses one of those social networks below and could retweet/repost/like/etc it would be a great help!

(reddit): https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comments/ckr7pp/legends_of_amberland_retro_western_rpg_for_pc/
(twitter): https://twitter.com/Indie_RetroNEWS/status/1156973704640942082
(facebook): https://www.facebook.com/SilverLemurGames/posts/398963460747173?__tn__=-R

Also, if the game is to your liking, please make a review on Steam (can be a short one). Due to how the Steam algorithms work it's quite important (for example I need to accumulate a certain thereshold of ratings to get things like Steam Achievements unlocked).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
About an hour in and I'm loving it. I'm pretty sure I found a bug. When you enter Lord Ambirgton's castle, there's a plaque on the left side that says "ERROR! Plaque not defined."

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
About an hour in and I'm loving it. I'm pretty sure I found a bug. When you enter Lord Ambirgton's castle, there's a plaque on the left side that says "ERROR! Plaque not defined."
It's an easy one (I broke it with the last release because I added some plaques in that location), will be fixed in the next version (probably next week or so). Thanks!

IronMaiden

Novice
2 hours in and I'm digging it. Scratches that old school Might and Magic itch. Seems pretty slick. Super pixelated graphics but a minor complaint. Really feels like Might and Magic 3 to me.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Has it been made harder since the complaints in this thread?
Yes, after that post back then I significantly uppeed difficulty (several times :D). Still, for Codexians I would recommend to start with Hard difficulty, Normal might be a bit too easy for you.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I may have a problem with the ogre fortress quests. I have killed both ogre bosses, but the questgiver does not recognise the action. Is this a bug or have I been missing somehing? And, if it is a bug, is it critical to plot progression?

Dorateen

Arcane
Printed out the manual, and finally had a chance to sit down and start playing. Character creation was as fun as expected, and nothing in the world beats that feeling of initial non-linear exploration. Fighting and saving up enough gold to buy better equipment. I decided to go with the following configuration:

Healer, Bard, Troll Slayer, Knight, Warrior, Ranger, Wizard

13XKqGF.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom