Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
BTW, Amberland relates to the area of Baltic sea which I was born in, a part of the old, famous amber trading route. Quite an important commodity back then. There are some very subtle references to the legends of that region in the game.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm almost ready. It will be out next week.

I have decided to go for Early Access, it will give me more time (and more importantly testers) to polish it. Early Access will last for a couple of months I suppose.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Forgot I wish listed this a while back, got excited all over again rediscovering it. A perfect looking RPG for middle-agers and old geezers alike!
Yeah, I designed it for old geezers like myself. Kind of niche, probably won't be too successful among more casual players. But as an indie you can make such business decisions since you need fewer sales to survive :)
Anyway, I hope it sells well enough to warrant a sequel (I quite enjoyed making the storyline for that one so I definitely would not mind making more like those).

Luzur

Good Sir
Preparations... Today I'm clicking the "Release as Early Access" button :)
Now writing announcements and the like.

And, if you know whats good for you, you already have Amberland 2-9 planned out, with overarching main plot (if you need hints just replay MM4-5) and subplots, and even a fully fleshed out "2 combined games makes a 3rd new one" system ALA MM4-5.

V_K

Arcane
Preparations... Today I'm clicking the "Release as Early Access" button :)
Now writing announcements and the like.

And, if you know whats good for you, you already have Amberland 2-9 planned out, with overarching main plot (if you need hints just replay MM4-5) and subplots, and even a fully fleshed out "2 combined games makes a 3rd new one" system ALA MM4-5.
But try to avoid making the sequel an action-adventure with a weird transformation mechanic.

Martyr

Arcane
character creation:

2g9WJw7.jpg

71N8oYk.jpg

pUpzzmj.jpg

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
It's so weird seeing others posting screens from a game you made :D It was always me posting these, now it's on the wild :D

Anyway, thank you all who helped me with testing so far and to all who bought the game! Oh yes, and please keep in mind it's not a finished game yet, some things are missing, some might be changed later, etc.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks pretty much like Might & Magic with somewhat shittier graphics. As long as it plays as well I shall give it a try.

That price range strikes me as pretty .. optimistic for this kind of game though.

Martyr

Arcane
Looks pretty much like Might & Magic with somewhat shittier graphics. As long as it plays as well I shall give it a try.

That price range strikes me as pretty .. optimistic for this kind of game though.

it plays pretty much like Might & Magic 3-5.
and the price shouldn't be a problem to an oldschool blobber fan. I bought it in a heartbeat.

LordArchibald do you know if the steam version is DRM free?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ambitious price tag! Bought it anyways, those trailers hit right into the nostalgia guts. This is the first new game in months if not years that I look at and really want to play, hopefully I can find some time for that during the next days.
I just installed it and had a brief test session to see whether it works (it does) and I found one thing irritating: There doesn't seem to be any sound effects beyond combat hits. I miss stuff like footsteps, enemy barks or sound fx when you highlight/press menu buttons etc... is this something that is to be implemented eventually?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
25 dollars in the age of 40+ being the standard for new games is quite a good deal. Especially considering this looks to be an actually good game.
I'll wait for the official release because I'll never get around to properly enjoying it if I play a mostly finished version first.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From a business perspective, it probably makes sense to milk the starved fans of the genre first and then reduce the price eventually for a bigger market.

The danger in this is what happened to Grimoire: it also had a steep price at first and people were giving it bad reviews for not living up to being a full price game at the time (no manual, etc.). So if people buy Amberland and feel that the game is too small or does not justify the price in some other way, bad reviews could tank the sales.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
LordArchibald do you know if the steam version is DRM free?
Yes. Steam just installs it on your machine and that's it. I have not added any DRM and I don't use any Steam features, so you are able to launch it directly from the folder without to need to even launch Steam client.

I just installed it and had a brief test session to see whether it works (it does) and I found one thing irritating: There doesn't seem to be any sound effects beyond combat hits. I miss stuff like footsteps, enemy barks or sound fx when you highlight/press menu buttons etc... is this something that is to be implemented eventually?
Hmmm, honestly I haven't thought about it :D
Button related ones, well you get sounds for equipping/unequipping but are you sure sound *each* time you click on any button makes sense? I mean wouldn't it be distracting and the like? Sure, I could add it (I think in early versions of Stellar Monarch I got sounds for each button, so it's not a technical problem), but are you sure?
As for barks and footsteps, well... maybe? But again, is it desirable? Like wouldn't the party members footsteps that you hear *each* time you move be irritating?

This would require some thought :)

Anyway, there are much more sound effects than combat related (mostly tied to features like orbs, chests, wells, ets).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I also think that too many repetitive sound effects are not a good idea. Something like a small sound when clicking on buttons is probably okay, but footsteps and enemy growls would get old pretty fast.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Having some ambient sounds of the environment is definitely welcome to have. And footsteps (maybe different sounds based on where you are walking) also would be nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom