Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland no longer rejected by GOG

Dorateen

Arcane
ss_c5f83bc300e4e3dc29c88712d456dc4a44606b12.600x338.jpg

111-xeen_04451.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
which is what exactly afterwards?

It depends on the game, but on a bare minimum they put a nice installer with the essentials (manual, launcher for some games, etc) for all the platforms they support and for most games they also provide additional bonus material, including original versions for some remastered games (depends on the developer, of course, but this is something i haven't seen in other stores). In some cases they bundle fixes for older games, either by them (although that is rare) or by the community but even if the games still need fixes, i've found the GOG versions to be easier to fix.

In comparison I've bought DRM-free games from other stores (itch.io, gamersgate, humble and some now-closed stores like desura and indievania) and what you'd get is a crapshoot - often all you get is a zip file, sometimes you get an exe file, sometimes you get a single file for all platforms, sometimes you get a separate file for each platform, getting a manual is the exception rather than the rule (GOG on the other hand may find scanned versions and bundle them) and in some cases the entire process is weird like with gamersgate not providing real downloads but instead giving you a crappy game-specific downloader that you have to log in, download the game, wait until it starts an installer and then copy the files while the installer is running because the downloader will rename the installer's executable to something else - for whatever reason.

One thing i've noticed to be a common difference between GOG and other sites is that GOG provides you packages that they have made themselves whereas other sites rely on whatever the developers have packaged up (in gamersgate specifically you even get CD/DVD "dumps" to the point where the installer files have autorun.inf files :-P). In theory this would allow developers to package some neat stuff, but in practice the only time i was positively surprised by the way a game was packaged outside of GOG with with Grimoire from itch.io which came with a themed installer (something i haven't seen in games i bought online for more than a decade) and a manual in a self-contained executable format that was easier to read on a desktop screen than the PDFs you usually get (even on GOG).

(re-reading the text i seem to wax on about installers a bit too much, but IMO they are the first impression you get - as well as a very nice convenience when done right)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Is Steam rejecting games? I thought they'll let anything in as long as game doesn't have illegal stuff in them or are scams etc.
Valve has been going wild on just not allowing various ecchi visual novels completely arbitrarily for a while, even after they announced that they won't be curating things based on likes and dislikes any more. Strangely enough it's only ecchi visual novels that get targeted, my theory is that there is one employee at Valve who really dislikes them so they use their clout to not allow the stuff on the store.

Covenant

Savant
Given that their whole no-DRM thing makes GOG titles extremely easy to pirate, plus how their audience tends to be slightly more computer-savvy than the general mass-market of Steam, the way they're pissing off their customers by rejecting decent games of the sort that the site built itself on is an interesting way to go.

That Witcher money's gonna run out someday.

mondblut

Arcane
There's basically no point to GOG anymore.

Well, I find their installers more attractive to pirate than dubious ISOs of steam rips.

Also, since GOG became SJW central, they likely expect any proudly oldschool CRPG to have deep connections to that nazi site, you know which one :smug:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What the fuck is going on at GOG? What are they even thinking?

I used to be a GOG fanboy, even bought some games a second time when released there. But now I'm not even sure I want to spend more money there.

:negative:

Gaben got me now.

:mixedemotions:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the fuck is going on at GOG? What are they even thinking?

I used to be a GOG fanboy, even bought some games a second time when released there. But now I'm not even sure I want to spend more money there.

:negative:

Gaben got me now.

:mixedemotions:

They'll wait until the KeanuPunk money starts rolling in and wrap up the GoG store....sell it off to someone else....CDPR are in a better place now....EA/Bethesda/Blizzard is where they always wanted to be....GoG gave exposure, but is not profitable enough.

The only 'hope' is if they still want to have an internal storefront like the top developer/publishers all have or if they just want to make their own games and with two huge IP's to alternate with, they could start to go this way.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If Grimmoire is rejected for being too niche there is no doubt this will as well.

Regardless whether it is a working strategy or not, GOG curates its shop and these niche only 35 years or older or some Japanese gonna play kind of games won't be accepted.

For all intent and purpose they are moving from "shop that sell old games" to "DRM Free shop for video games"

hexer

Not surprised.. I expected that ever since they went from Good Old Games to just GOG.

Speaking of retardedness epidemic at GOG, my account got locked because I forgot to change my old e-mail in their system and they keep sending verification codes to a non-existing e-mail.
Now, to unlock my account "all I need to do" is this...

We can change the e-mail address associated with your account. Before I can do this, please send me the following information, for verification purposes (depending on whether you used a credit card or PayPal):

a) The last 4 digits of a credit card that you used to make a purchase on our site,
b) The PayPal Transaction ID assigned to a purchase made on our site,
c) A key which you redeemed on our service,
d) Account's creation date (the year will be enough),
e) A list of few games you have in your library.

a), c) & d) are impossible, a) because I changed my credit card last year, c) is WTF?! and d) is a guessing game.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
didn't know you've also made other games, LordArchibald . Stellar Monarch looks like :incline:.
Yep, like 7 or so browser MMOs and 3 PC games total, not counting the unfinished projects and hobby games :) As for Stellar Monarch it's still my best selling game (I hope Legends of Amberland will overtake it), even though it was released in 2016. I'm also planning an expansion for it (actually I get "stop doing this Amberland RPG thing and make us an expansion or Stellar Monarch 2" from some fans, which is kind of funny because they wait eagerly till I release LoA only so I can finally start working on the SM expansion I promised :D).

Was the turndown message per chance this:
Hello,

I'm sorry for late reply.

Thanks a lot for your submission and your interest in GOG.

We’ve taken a look at Legends of Amberland, it looks like a rich RPG game, with complex combat, deep lore, fun mechanics and simple, yet eye-catching retro graphics.

Unfortunately, however, we feel that the game would not be a good fit for GOG, as we think that it appears to be too niche and a bit too small in scale in terms of production value for our users, which means that we aren’t confident in its release potential on our site.

For these reasons I’m afraid we will have to pass on Legends of Amberland.

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together.
Well, not exactly. There definitely are some points I find familiar the response cited above :D But no, it was not a copy pasted respone, they actually took the time to consider it.

I would say it was half of what you cited and half made of "original content" :)

First Grimoire, now this, what the fuck.
LordArchibald will you release the game for purchase on a non steam location like on your website that you did for your other game?
Dunno. GoG was the only non Steam shop that I seriously considered, due to the compatible library of games... I don't know yet, maybe I will end up putting it on my website.

LootSeeker

Educated
GOG has rejected a lot of titles that obviously appeal to the people who (at least, used to) use GOG. I haven't made a purchase on GOG since Grimoire was rejected.
Same here. The O in GOG can blow me. I'll likely buy from them in the future since 99% of my games are there, but the whole 'here it is on Steam but going to wait until it hits GOG' has burned me out, especially for games that ostensibly should have been slam dunks through their queeration process, such as Grimoire, this game, others; games that seem to fit with GOG, but no longer for some reason, and what makes it more aggravating is the amount of votes some of these rejected games have on their site's community wishlist (Grimoire has more than 1000 now).

Mortmal

Arcane
Dunno. GoG was the only non Steam shop that I seriously considered, due to the compatible library of games... I don't know yet, maybe I will end up putting it on my website.

It's ultra niche, you better put on sale on your site and bypass steam cut indeed, your competition is more the like of realmquest and C64 new games done by enthusiasts.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's ultra niche, you better put on sale on your site and bypass steam cut indeed, your competition is more the like of realmquest and C64 new games done by enthusiasts.

The problem is not putting the game on Steam put the strain of marketing on him. People do browse based on tags on Steam and it might interest some people.

If he bypass Steam he needs to do "door to door" marketing on blobber communities.

Itch.io might be an alternative.

Mortmal

Arcane
yes of course, nothing prevent to do both. The visibility on steam will be like zero as well. Itch io is a good platform too.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I'm subscribed to their release feed and maybe a couple years ago you could already tell where this is going. All new releases were just high-tier indie games. Apparently, old stuff either doesn't sell or doesn't sell enough, you need some shiny.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Well, they are indeed throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Any old game I have bought from GOG, I could have easily pirated or just used the disks that I still have and have become too lazy to use.

I got Twitchy3 for free. That is the only recent game on my GOG. Guess it will remain that way, as with this unraveling of their corporate culture they can eat a bag of dicks.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Time to backup my GOG library before they start curating it as well.
This is starting to smell familiarly fishy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom