Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Legends of Eisenwald, Turn-Based Strategy RPG, Kick-Started

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a good way to attract attention and at least they had some game play footage... well... in-game renderings.

Yeah their video is funny in a good way, although maybe not intentionally. And I'm sad they are getting very little money, because there are much more stupid projects which are raking in cash... They probably need some recognition on bigger gaming sites, as I can't imagine people don't want a solid Disciples 2/Darklands hybrid.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I almost clicked off the Kickstarter page when the video stated... LARPing? Really?! But after a few minutes I actually started to like it! That was one of the better "lesser known" Kikstarter presentations and now I'm torn on whether to pledge for this one as well?!!! I think I'll wait just a little while on this one and wait for more info from them.
Yeah, I almost clicked away, too. Should maybe have broken right into gameplay to show HEY THIS IS A REAL GAME then gone on to the pitch and costumes and whatnot.

Anyone making a kickstarter might consider to post their video to a few sites first to get some feedback. Obviously something is not working because it's getting a lot less funding than a lot of way more impractical/plain dumb kickstarters even though it has a lot more going for it.

Well, it seems like it is having these problems that someone mentioned already:
1) NO big name
2) NO real proven record, except of very niche game
3) Poor (or non-existent) advertisment PRIOR Kickstarter and thus:
4) NO community to back this up. It looks like they were living under a rock since 2010 (when they started working on this title as they said in the video)

The project is somewhat similar to Banner Saga EXCEPT, they cannot throw Bioware name around and Banner Saga was present in the mainstream media for a couple of months before kickstarting (then again, maybe they were able to gain attention of gaming media only by throwing "Biowhore" name).

Anyway, I wish them reaching their goal.

EDIT::
5) Their proficiency in English (especially written, where you have time to correct things/someone correct it for you) may also be repulsive for many native English backers

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get the combat. What's with the no moves without attacking/defending stuff?

I don't get the combat. What's with the no moves without attacking/defending stuff?

Have you played Disciples 2? You can't move troops in combat, you only put them where you want 'em before combat (for example knights in front, archers and wizards in back)... About the attacking / defending stuff I do not know...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Have you played Disciples 2? You can't move troops in combat, you only put them where you want 'em before combat (for example knights in front, archers and wizards in back)... About the attacking / defending stuff I do not know...

I haven't. I looked up a youtube video, and I see what you mean now.

I don't know if it's like that. In the Eisenwald video you can see characters moving around the combat field. Maybe that's just for show?

I haven't. I looked up a youtube video, and I see what you mean now.

I don't know if it's like that. In the Eisenwald video you can see characters moving around the combat field. Maybe that's just for show?

They've added some stuff to their kickstarter FAQ, so here:

• What well-known titles is your game similar to?
    Gameplay on a global map can be compared to King’s Bounty but game story is given as self-contained scenarios like HoMM. Combat is in many ways similar to Disciples 1-2 (but not Disciples 3!). Level upgrade of characters is also similar to Disciples – units get new class and appearance when they gain a level. But in addition to that they can use inventory and even battle horses.
  • Tell us more about combat
    1. There are no stacks of units. In some cases stacks make tactics useless: no matter what stack of your enemy you attack, the overall power of enemy army is decreasing by the same relative value. Because of that often there is no difference whom to attack: battle outcome will be the same. In our game a unit with 1 hit will fight as a full health one, so it would be necessary to think how to eliminate that unit before he has his turn or how to protect your own unit so he is not dead.

2. There is no unit feature as “move points”. Battle arena is small and any unit can reach other unit if there is no enemy on his way. You can select what spot to take and from which side to attack. Initiative is very important.

3. Battle is not going to last 15-20 turns as in some other turn based RPGs. Our battle is an exchange of series of deadly strikes where every strike is very important and you have to think about each one.

4. We don’t plan a random factor. When your unit with 70% chance of striking is missing three times in a row it is really annoying. In our game the one who is planning better wins and not the one who is luckier.
And by the way, Disciples 2 is a pretty nice game, if you like HoMM like games, you should try it, maybe you'll like it.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Nice project, exploration as HMM and combat as Disciples 2, plus updated graphic. What not to like? My only concern is the length of the game, at least 15 hours? A demo plays longer than that... Hopefully it will pick up momentum, right now does not look good.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

What's the point in that?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I almost clicked off the Kickstarter page when the video started... LARPing? Really?! But after a few minutes I actually started to like it! That was one of the better "lesser known" Kikstarter presentations and now I'm torn on whether to pledge for this one as well?!!! I think I'll wait just a little while on this one and see some more info from them.

They looks more like one of the reenactment groups that are popular in Potato Europe than your typical Jewtoobe Larpers.... Anyway 15 Kwan Potatoes is not as big sum even here so I contributed to couse.... even when I do have doubts they will deliver.... Belarus is like black hole.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
As my uncle always says, to have 15 dollerz or not to have 15 dollerz, makes 30 dollars!!!

He is from the mothers side, they were never good at maths :smug:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Eh, i never played Disciples, but if they are doing something similiar they should have clealry stated it, because right now it seems that they are advertising streamlining and dumbing down.

Turn based tactical battles where we managed to get rid of the main enemy of turn based battles – boredom.
Yeah, Wasteland 2 surely showed just how bored the Kickstarter audience is with turn-based combat.

We don’t plan a random factor. When your unit with 70% chance of striking is missing three times in a row it is really annoying.

Serioulsy, they should be pitching it to 1C, not to the crowd of angry nerds.

MCA

I thought it was a reference to historical martial arts. In European swordsmanship, one of the common fundamentals of combat is to make your every move tie into an attack in the sense that there is no such thing as "parrying" the way Hollywood depicts. You decide whether you will attack first or you will wait for your enemy's attack to use it for delivering a counter-attack. Either way, your first and foremost objective is always to deal a killing blow even when you defend. Occasionally, "parrying" occurs by happenstance, remotely similar to how two people playing rock-paper-scissors can choose the same item but it's not a tactic. Particularly in German swordsmanship, every move is to be defensive and offensive at the same time and the flow of sword play is supposed to reflect this, being more adaptive and spontaneous.

The emphasis on initiative is also peculiar because initiative is another vital concept in European martial arts. When either combatant ends up being the one attacking first repeatedly, he can force his opponent into making certain defensive or counter moves in response to his own moves, since every attack have a limited number and type of counter attacks, thus gaining an initiative advantage by predicting opponent's next move.

However, they didn't exclusively mention or show anything of the sort so maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I just read the Codex interview and yes, I was definitely reading too much into it.

Kraszu

Prophet

What's the point in that?

The combat is much faster that way, and what you are mostly avoiding is the tedium as HoMM combat the decision on where to move anything more then an obvious choice anyway, and it did make most encounters couple times longer.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A Russian crpg?

:incline:
Not russian. Belarus is a different country. Even different language. It's like to think, that Canada (or Mexica) is a part of USA. ;)

To be honest the language is almost dead White Ruthenians in Belarus speak Russian and those in Potatoland like me Polish.... It is like Canada and USA with Urkanistan being UK - the original Rus state, Moscow being enacted by Kievan Prince.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom