Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry - Larry's trip to the 21st century

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.crazybunch.biz/games/leisure-suit-larry-wet-dreams-dont-dry/

https://af.gog.com/game/leisure_suit_larry_wet_dreams_dont_dry?as=1649904300

Now officially announced. Developed by German studio Crazy Bunch and published by also German publisher Assemble Entertainment (which re-released the entire Larry games on Steam some time ago).

ss_3b1063a3e79653607cd11ea22c06d7a14bf5f947.jpg

ss_8b88710949870600b8db0314dfca2141a29b0e97.jpg

Hey ladies, I’m back in business! My new adventure, Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry, takes me – whatever the route or twist of fate – from the end of the ’80s directly into the 21st century and wow, how the world has changed! While my view of the world and women from way back in the 1980s collides with modern reality harder than the breasts of a lusciously stacked blonde jogging along a beach, I’m all set to date my way across the modern world!

In a “point & click” adventure I’d call typical for the genre we mutually experience how I fall head-over-heels in love with Faith, the hot-to-trot assistant to the boss at Prune, a technology enterprise successful worldwide. Since even dating is done digitally nowadays, the first thing I have to do is to work on my score at Timber, the totally hip, can’t-get-anywhere-without-it dating app where I date women, satisfy their needs, and accordingly pick up points for my Timber profile. And whenever I get a chance in between, always briefly check out a few new bikini pix at Instacrap – the 21st century is gnarly smill!

Features:
Leisure Suit Larry is coming in the 21st century – and no, there’s no word missing here
• Explore a lovingly designed, non-linear game world set in the modern world with over 30 handdrawn venues
• Use “Timber”, the ingame app, along with an innovative dating mechanism to date women, consequently improve your score at Timber, and ultimately clear the way to get to Faith, the women of your dreams
• Solve true-blue puzzles and interact with over 30 handdrawn characters

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

Ahh, a game that was primarily held together, even if barely, by its humor, now with 100% more German humor! What could go wrong!

It also looks like Larry spent some time on the rack.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shouldn't Larry be an obvious manlet for obvious size jokes? Do Germans not have double entendre yet?

Deathsquid

Learned
They should team up with SWERY, if they were bold enough to riff on D4

Actually, LSL co-written by SWERY could be something else.

Dexter

Arcane
Screenshots from Steam:
ss_0e601b384f24a490084087f5b752f954c18a3994.jpg
ss_21e77e4e55c4829d2ca7ed7ba2717d27296e2b39.jpg
ss_3b1063a3e79653607cd11ea22c06d7a14bf5f947.jpg
ss_bd2a5a78604a3bd4cfec60fcf35322abf330f09d.jpg
ss_631f5825c57d8ea38b25b8b8677a0bac8f8f6c3c.jpg
ss_25b4c3b02ccaaed142f8f83e0276d48f48ec209d.jpg
ss_8b88710949870600b8db0314dfca2141a29b0e97.jpg

As others said, for a game that lives or dies by its humor and idiosyncrasies of its main and secondary characters, as well as knowing what Germans did to some other franchises like Simon the Sorcerer that they took over the rights for I don't have much confidence:

On the other hand I can't really complain about Germans continuing to keep Adventure games alive and there might be an Off-chance that they could at least pull off a "Deponia".

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can confidently say this will be god awful as every german "funny" game I ever played was horribly cringeworthy with the humor. And yes that includes the Deadalic games :P

Also I hate the artstyle.

Deathsquid

Learned
LSL 6 is probably the best one in the series. A pretty huge world, a lot of interactions, pretty decent (I recall) puzzles, overall a very good game with some rather mild erotic undertones.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
LSL 6 is probably the best one in the series. A pretty huge world, a lot of interactions, pretty decent (I recall) puzzles, overall a very good game with some rather mild erotic undertones.

Does it have unfair dead ends? I like the style of the old sierra games but I hate the dead ends they built in everywhere. I don't wanna go game over in an adventure game and have to start all over because I missed to pick up an item in the first hour of the game which I need 10 hours later :?

Deathsquid

Learned

Does it have unfair dead ends? I like the style of the old sierra games but I hate the dead ends they built in everywhere. I don't wanna go game over in an adventure game and have to start all over because I missed to pick up an item in the first hour of the game which I need 10 hours later :?
I don't recall running into any, at least. Unfair dead ends were mostly a thing in early Sierra games, LSL 6 was similar to 7 in terms of puzzle design. LSL 6 has a lot more random funny deaths, BUT they basically let you immediately click the "Oops!" button and undo the decision that lead to your hilarious demise.

Big Wrangle

Larry now looks like he has been stretched by a some gym-going chad.
umX.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
German article with some more juicy... details: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/lei...ams-dont-dry-larry-kehrt-zurueck,3329952.html

No Al Lowe involvement apparently.

Google Translate said:
It's just like Larry's last failures are not from the original creator Al Lowe, but the German team Crazy Bunch still wants to remember his spirit: way with stupid mini-games, back to classic point and click adventure .

Back to point and click:

Google Translate said:
We do this in a classic point-and-click style: solving puzzles, combining items, conducting dialogues and thus reaching their goal! In the middle part of the game we should be allowed to move quite freely through the 30 locations of the city before the story threads converge towards the end.

The developers promise that the puzzles for adventure veterans should be really nice crisp. Sounds good! And visually, the chic drawn scenes and characters can already be seen in our unfinished demo version more than.

Modern times:

Google Translate said:
Funny is already Larry's first attempt - he gets to a would-be influencer, of all people, who hardly perceives him, because she is too busy to stage every second of her life for the Internet. But a real screamer was not included in the introduction.

And the question remains, how well does Larry actually fit into this modern society that he wants to satirise. Should not we be a little further than chasing women for the high score?

This conflict should be part of the game, the developers promise: Larry is to experience some surprises when his image of women from the eighties bounces on strong and modern ladies - at the same time it wants to avoid the game but to be socially critical or on the suggestive humor of the series to renounce. No easy balancing act, the developers have charged there. Wet Dreams will release Do not Dry in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unsurprisingly this looks like total garbage. Shitty visuals and shitty current year "humour". Absolutely Haram.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Of course Eurogamer misses the point of the Larry games entirely and they seem to dislike the series in general and not just the post Love for Sail trash.

Leisure Suit Larry is back from the dead for some reason

Why?

There's a new Leisure Suit Larry game for some reason.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry comes out autumn 2018 on PC and Mac. Like the Leisure Suit Larry games of old, this one's a point and click adventure "with questionable pickup lines".

The note to press includes the following eye-rolling line: "Larry moves straight from the 80s into the 21st century. In times of #metoo and online dating via smartphone, Larry has to find his way around."

It's the work of a German studio called CrazyBunch. Bet they're a crazy bunch!

There's more. The note to press also includes a line from Larry himself, a man out of time in so many ways.

"Hey ladies, I'm back in business! My new adventure, Leisure Suit Larry - Wet dreams don't dry, takes me - whatever the route or twist of fate - from the end of the '80s directly to the 21st Century and wow, how the world has changed! While my view of the world and women from way back in the 1980s collides with modern reality harder than the breasts of a lusciously stacked blonde jogging along a beach, I'm all set to date my way across the modern world!

"In a point & click adventure I'd call typical for the genre we mutually experience how I fall head-over-heels in love with Faith, the hot-to-trot assistant to the boss at Prune, a technology enterprise successful worldwide. Since even dating is done digitally nowadays, the first thing I have to do is to work on my score at Timber, the totally hip, can't-get-anywhere-without-it dating app where I date women, satisfy their needs, and accordingly pick up points for my Timber profile. And whenever I get a chance in between, always briefly check out a few new bikini pix at Instacrap - the 21st century is gnarly smill!"

I thought the Leisure Suit Larry series died after ex-Eurogamer extraordinaire Ellie Gibson savaged 2013's terrible Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded. In her 2/10 review, Ellie concluded: "The world did not need this Leisure Suit Larry game, and it does not need any more."

Did the crazy bunch not get the memo?

:what:

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eurogamer is getting slammed for this piece. There is hope in the world after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom