Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

Duraframe300

Arcane
Another big name used for PR, that won't have any input at all on their games. Well done Obsidian. Why use these talented people yourself, when you can prevent other teams from having them.

Boyarsky worked for nearly ten years at Blizzard on Diablo 3. Yeah, man he sure wasn't wasted there.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Another big name used for PR, that won't have any input at all on their games. Well done Obsidian. Why use these talented people yourself, when you can prevent other teams from having them.

Boyarsky worked for nearly ten years at Blizzard on Diablo 3. Yeah, man he sure wasn't wasted there.

You're saying that Chris Avellon wasn't wasted at Obsidian?

Doktor Best

Arcane
What did he do on the Diablo3 team anyways? Dont tell me he wrote that anomination of a plot...

If it was actual gamedesign, then well, Diablo 3 improved alot. The only thing that keeps it from being great is the lackluster server performance in 4-man multiplayer.

made

Arcane
Is he level designer, concept artist or some other branch?
He was "lead world designer" on D3 and that game's world was super lame. Unless he publicly comes out and says that every single one of his decisions was overturned by the derps at Blizzard I'm gonna put it all on him.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not everybody in a team has to be a lead designer and lead a game. What is this bullshit that wasting them on PR? Just because Tim Cain wasn't making his own game doesn't mean that he was wasted on PR. He did his job as system designer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What did he do on the Diablo3 team anyways? Dont tell me he wrote that anomination of a plot...

If it was actual gamedesign, then well, Diablo 3 improved alot. The only thing that keeps it from being great is the lackluster server performance in 4-man multiplayer.

He was "lead world designer" on D3 and that game's world was super lame. Unless he publicly comes out and says that every single one of his decisions was overturned by the derps at Blizzard I'm gonna put it all on him.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9376

Last edited:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Not everybody in a team has to be a lead designer and lead a game. What is this bullshit that wasting them on PR? Just because Tim Cain wasn't making his own game doesn't mean that he was wasted on PR. He did his job as system designer.

Perhaps they SHOULD have put him to lead a game. You tell me that Chris Avellon wasn't wasted when it comes to PoE.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Let's hope he can save Obsidian from mediocrity.
Hopefully he'll be involved with a Vampire game.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You're saying that Chris Avellon wasn't wasted at Obsidian?

Kotor II, Alpha Protocol and FNV: DLC's + the writing he did in their other games vs Diablo 3

I dunno man

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Perhaps they SHOULD have put him to lead a game. You tell me that Chris Avellon wasn't wasted when it comes to PoE.
They should. But just because they didn't doesn't mean that they waste them doing nothing.

Anyway, with Paradox acquiring the WoD license, and the good relationship between them and Obsidian, I will be very disappointed if Obsidian doesn't make a WoD RPG in the near future.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
For having so much amazing talent at Obsidian, they sure as hell don't deliver.

made

Arcane
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9376
Sounds like a cop-out. "We couldn't have a complex and branching story because that got in the way of multiplayer so instead we decided to tell the lamest, most bland story we could imagine". Yeah, he'll fit right in at the new Obsidian.

Amasius

Augur
Fuck yeah!
Bvl_cFJIgAEsfgw.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Okay, so PoE 2 might actually be good now.

:troll:

This is relevant to my interests.

Always been a big fan of Boyarsky. A man of talent.

Although I suppose I would rather have wanted him to join InXile, but dis is a step in the right direction ;-)

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Actually he has a point. Boyarsky being at Obsidian will make no difference for us if he gets relegated to work on shit like World Of Tanks or Skyrim clones.

Also remember where ZIETS is.

Maybe he's going to find his way there too in time.

Prime Junta

Well, I'm pretty sure Avellone also didn't "sign up" to have 80% of his work cut.

Avellone was starting a brand-new studio from scratch. Things didn't pan out like he hoped, clearly. Boyarsky is joining an established one. I'm quite certain they had extensive discussions on what he's going to do, and how it's going to be better than what he's been doing at Blizzard. I'm pretty sure they didn't outbid Blizzard in monies.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I'm pretty sure Avellone also didn't "sign up" to have 80% of his work cut.

I'm sure they cut his material just out of spite and pure hatred, trying to smoke him out of the company he founded with the rest of them.

Hurr durr.

No. But I'm also pretty sure they didn't cut it because it wasn't up to par with that amazing quality that Obsidian is otherwise known for.

Flou

Arbiter

I'm sure they cut his material just out of spite and pure hatred, trying to smoke him out of the company he founded with the rest of them.

Hurr durr.

No. But I'm also pretty sure they didn't cut it because it wasn't up to par with that amazing quality that Obsidian is otherwise known for.

Yea, ever heard of these things called budget and schedule? While his stuff for both Grieving Mother and Durance was probably something special, putting so much effort and resources into fleshing out 2 out of 10 companions would have fucked them over either budget or schedule wise. Or they would have had to cut something from somewhere else to balance it out. Cutting stuff from somewhere else is easier said than done though. With the limited resources they had, it must have felt (for Josh?) that not putting all that effort into just 2 of the companions would work better than cutting some other much needed material/content. To be honest, as much as I would have wanted to see both of those companions fully fleshed out, the rest of the companions would have felt so much less after that and then one might ask why don't rest of the companions have as nifty stuff included?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a stupid argument, it's not like two fully fleshed out companions were what was going to make FeelTheRads like Pillars of Eternity

Chris Avellone has ended up where he is because for some reason over the course of many years he failed to take leadership of projects. The reasons for that remain unclear, but are probably beyond simple association of blame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom