Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Less Diversity

Neanderthal

Arcane
You know i've heard folk say they want diverse races, species, nations, worlds and what have you but if we're focusing on melting pots and crossroads of the world when do we get time to study, examine and play a race that is for instance as detailed as the Orlanthi in KoDP?

I say fuck diversity, let's have one species, one race of that species, one nation, and maybe even a small settlement of that nation.

Start small and build, establish solid foundations before scaling the spires of dreams.

And no Elves.

Of course.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imo there's only a point to having different races if you are doing anything interesting with them. If you could do the same with different cultures of humans then you don't need fantasy races.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Coming up with a unique yet consistent and logical culture is hard. That is why most successful depictions of them in media are based on reality. Which is also why Tolkien is so celebrated.

Imo there's only a point to having different races if you are doing anything interesting with them. If you could do the same with different cultures of humans then you don't need fantasy races.

100% agree with this. The vast majority of fantasy races are entirely unnecessary as being non-human, and in fact most would probably improve and be more interesting if their exact same culture was presented applied to humans instead.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Morrowind did this best:

Dark Elves=Various Tribes and sects of Juice like Hlaalu=Ashkenazim, Redoran=Misrachi, Telvani=Soviet Juice, Ashlanders=Nigger Juice, Comona Tong=Kahane Juice.
Imperials=Romans (Nibanese) Slavs (Colovians)
High Elves=Greeks
Bretons=obliviously Celts of Brittany and French since they are mixed bred of Nords, High Elves and Slavs Nedic people and their coulture is based upon magic, chivalry,petty kingship and backstabbing court intrigue, most similar in fashion and style to generic Medieval western Europe pre Oblivion.
Bosmer=Jungle Niggers
Nords=Snow Niggers
Redguards=Sand Niggers
Cajeet=Niggers
Argonians=Street shitting Niggers

Edited to add Bretons.

Last edited:

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
I agree on a smaller scale and zooming in on one area in detail. As for races though one problem is, it's hard to remember and distinguish exclusively human countries/ethnicities in a fictional world unless they are done really well (A Song of Ice and Fire(Game of Thrones)). Especially if the settings aims for a bit of realism and does not make each and every country vastly different from their neighbours. For example Witcher, DA, Pillars human countries are mostly a jumbled mess in my memory. But then again with smaller scale and step by step introduction of new contries and regions that should be less of a problem.

Codex Year of the Donut
The point is elf titties.

Morrowind did this best:

Dark Elves=Various Tribes and sects of Juice like Hlaalu=Ashkenazim, Redoran=Misrachi, Telvani=Soviet Juice, Ashlanders=Nigger Juice, Comona Tong=Kahane Juice.
Imperials=Romans (Nibanese) Slavs (Colovians)
High Elves=Greeks
Bosmer=Jungle Niggers
Nords=Snow Niggers
Redguards=Sand Niggers
Cajeet=Niggers
Argonians=Street shitting Niggers
You forgot Bretons.
And unironically, I agree. The lore in TES games is actually a lot better than it deserves to be, but you have to really dig to find it.

Norfleet

You know i've heard folk say they want diverse races, species, nations, worlds and what have you but if we're focusing on melting pots and crossroads of the world when do we get time to study, examine and play a race that is for instance as detailed as the Orlanthi in KoDP?
You know the Orlanthi are basically just pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons, right?

mondblut

Arcane
I'd rather have 14 different races to choose* my party members from than one. Just thinking.

* - meaning finding the most OP one and going with it.

I don't at all understand the logic of "it's similar to a human so why not make them humans instead" when throughout the entirety of RPGs and fantasy in general we've had absolutely minimal attempts to create new and interesting races.

You should be asking for more races that are better written, more detailed, more unique and unlike what we get fed every other day.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Morrowind did this best:
4RNzgu8.jpg

Feels bad, warmblood.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
As Commissar Draco explained (maybe not exactly like that, but...) there's too much diversity which is not diverse at all.
Also don't forget the high elves, low elves, mid elves, day elves, night elves... I mean come on... begone with this shit.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I like more diversity in races. Elder Scrolls is cool in that 10 different races are all living together, trying to make shit work. Of course you have your slaves and racism, but it comes with the territory. It's just cooler to have more fantasy races than it is to have just dumb humans or some single sect of humans or whatever. Diversity is fun. And yes I am a commie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom