Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let me suffer through Sailor Moon: Another Story

larpingdude16

Scholar
Radisshu said:
I actually know the swedish lyrics for the opening and ending Sailor Moon anime songs by heart.

Why the fuck did I write this on the codex?

rofl

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Radisshu said:
I actually know the swedish lyrics for the opening and ending Sailor Moon anime songs by heart.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Or else coming to grips with the fact that it is not, in fact, a problem!

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
it used to be on Club Dorothée when i was little , together with dragonball Z, and les chevaliers de zodiac.

Good times, good times. :lol:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Lesifoere said:
I'm not sure it'll make you too popular with, say, Kaiserin.

Does she even check this part of the forum anyway? Still it would be nice if a guy with anarchist ideals could get closer to a fascist tranny thanks to the power of Sailor Moon. Only on the intarwebs!

Radisshu said:

I hope this thread will give courage to anyone else who wants to get out of the closet.

zerotol said:
it used to be on Club Dorothée when i was little , together with dragonball Z, and les chevaliers de zodiac.

Good times, good times. :lol:

Don't forget Bioman!

Crom, the French dubs were so atrocious. There was a lot of censorship over any innocent sexual innuendo though the graphic violence was left untouched. In most series taking place in the contemporary time period, names were changed to something typically French. In the case of Sailor Moon, to confuse things further, characters had different names in the anime and manga. There were also a few changes, such as Rei (Sailor Mars), a shinto shrine maiden turned catholic. Heck, even some of more effeminate male antagonists became female and the opposite happened in another case...

Anyway, I better eat then update this thing a bit.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
UPDATE! The badness is delightfully hilarious.

And yes, I had friends in high school who were super into Sailor Moon - that was my first introduction to anime, really (aside from watching Dragonball Z and going "there is a LOT of screaming in this"). Then the Cartoon Network started ToonAmi, and I caught a snippet of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing where Relena Peacecraft goes to a ball dressed all nice, and then pulls a gun out of this huge bow on the back of her dress, goes "THIS IS FOR MY DAD!" and attempts to bus' a cap in a general's chest (and misses by THEEEEEEIS MUCH). And then I went "HOLY SHIT!" and it was ON.

And then I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion in college and my fucking brain melted out my goddamn ears. Bad idea.

Where was I? Oh yeah. KEEP POSTING! 'Tis enjoyable.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I'm working on it, doing a small pause now. I think you're gonna love this, but I need to figure where to stop.

Ah, I love Evangelion but I hate the End movie. On a side-note, I finally managed to watch the first movie of four in the Rebuild of Evangelion project and I have to admit it impressed me. Hope the next will deliver, especially the ending.

I guess I'm getting tired, I read "Mobile Shit Gundam Wing" in your post...

hiver

"Lucky" westerner capitalist. When i was a kid the only anime we could see were on italian tv which was barely visible here and rarely at all at that.
The only cartoon i could watch when the picture was atleast somewhat clear was about a post apocalyptic world in which group of super kung fu guys roamed the wastelands fighting mutants and each other. The main guy looked like Bruce Lee but more muscled and he had this thing where he would touch or hit an enemy which would then explode in detail. Heads, brains, eyes flying, rib cages bursting, guts, arms or legs, everything.
But that only happened when somebody made him really, really angry.

One time some band of raiders led by one of those kung fu guys too made him fight some gigantic mutant gorrila looking like King Kong.
Bruce Lee lookalike just jumped at him and punched through its chest to the other side.
And then he killed them all in gruesome ways. Especially that blond leader of theirs which belonged to the same kung fu group.

So i grew up believing all anime cartoon are as cool as that one. You can imagine my surprise and shock when i saw real anime cartoons of the usual kind.
wtf? where are mutant monkeys and kung fu brain exploding fighters in wasteland? what is this shit?

Radisshu

Prophet
My impression is that the wide majority of anime is crap, though. Sometimes it's entertaining crap (e.g Sailor Moon), but sometimes it's just awful.

The only anime series I've watched that I actually liked in a non-ironic way was Paranoia Agent and Samurai Champloo.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I recommend Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and possibly Trigun. FLCL will make your brain melt. And if you like a bit of the shojo and fantasy, Escaflowne. And if you like seeing people get torn the fuck up by swords and shit, Berserk.

Hmm... what else. Those Who Hunt Elves is preposterous but kinda fun, Chobits is... odd but maybe worth a possible look, I still want to watch Outlaw Star but it isn't nearly as good as the aforementioned Cowboy Bebop, if you can find Lupin 3 (show not movies) WATCH IT, I actually did watch nearly 100 episodes of Naruto before I was like "ok tl;dw, I'm done," I keep hearing people talk about Bleach like it's awesome, despite retarded and confusing parts of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing I still liked it (because Duo Maxwell is awesome). Samurai Champloo was pretty good, but once you watch the creator's previous work you're like "eh." I actually watched most of the first season of Ranma 1/2 until the romantic-comedy-ness of it got to me. And I enjoyed Ruroni Kenshin except it's like 97 episodes long and I got maybe 15 episodes in before I stopped bothering to watch them.

Er, yeah. There's good stuff out there, but like any TV show, there's gonna be a mix of quality and shit, with the latter being in the far larger supply. I tend to also like the animes that follow nice, discrete 24-26 episode arcs and then END, instead of huge long enduring series like Naruto that go on FOR-FUCKING-EVER, even if they're decent.

...which reminds me: how many seasons ARE there in Sailor Moon? Must be a goddamn ridiculous number, for how much shit exists in the backstory.

hiver - I think what you're describing sounds like Fist of the North Star, possibly. I think if you can find Berserk, you'd fucking LOVE it.

Also MOAR GAEM.

hiver

hiver - I think what you're describing sounds like Fist of the North Star, possibly.
It is, it is! (imagines jumping around the room happily while actually still sitting in a comfy chair) Yes!
Muahahahaha i discovered it again!!!

It was always funny to me how the signal was clear only when this cartoon was on. As soon as it ended the program would disappear.
I thought that is telling me something :wiggleseyebrows:
Like "get ready, practice kung fu, youll need it"

Thanks Annie, i thought its lost and ill never see it again.

I think if you can find Berserk, you'd fucking LOVE it.
I seriously love both Ghost in the shell movies and Princess Minonoke, Spirited away and anything from studio Gibli.

The "no cuts" policy was highlighted when Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein suggested editing Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable. In response, a Studio Ghibli producer sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts"
Good guys. Gotta love them.

Berserk sounds good as represented on the wiki.
Though some things from the beginning of manga are changed for anime version. Shame.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
This update is dedicated to the loving memory of Andyman Messiah, the first horse to show symptoms of autistic behaviour. We'll remember him for his unfinished FF7 LP, his quirky behaviour and his painful death, which happened too soon. Tobacco killed him for he was ran over by a car while he crossed the road to go buy some cigarettes.

Chapter 3 - Romance! Battle! The mysterious spirit of the fire!

Hello again! When we last left this game, Usagi saved Naru and her mother in the jewel store. It seems the Daimons are returning but she can't be arsed right now and went back to bed. Meanwhile, in another part of Tokyo...

bssmas_00000.png

This is Mamoru, alias Tuxedo Mask, alias Endymion. He was the Prince of Earth in a previous life, now he fights crime wearing a tuxedo, cape, top hat and of course a mask; quite a fall in social standing if you ask me. He is of course bound to the reincarnation of his old love, Sailor Moon, and they will rule the Earth together and even have a girl who will fall in love with her father and get in fights with her mother. The Japanese ideal of the nuclear family.

bssmas_00001.png
bssmas_00002.png

Oh noes! My screen is melting!

bssmas_00003.png

Or maybe not.

bssmas_00004.png
bssmas_00005.png
bssmas_00006.png

bssmas_00007.png
bssmas_00008.png
bssmas_00009.png

Kunzite is another element that shows this game blends both the manga and the anime. In the anime, he is simply one of the four generals of Queen Beryl; in the manga, Kunzite and the other three generals were first in the service of Enydmion before they pledged allegiance to Beryl. The reason for their codexian flip-flopping is that they distrusted the people of the Moon and watching their prince court Princess Serena made them question their loyalty. After their deaths, they turned into gems that Mamoru collected and kept with him in a special box; there they were once again reunited with their prince and atoned for their betrayal. Since Kunzite addresses Mamoru as "Master", we can safely assume this is a continuity from the manga.

kunzite.png
Master... Destiny draws near. An evil comet is approaching from an evil star, to return Destiny to its origins. A horrible comet with the power to return everything... Now... In the future... And in the past... It is giving birth to an existence in which all shall be returned to what has been.

Dude, I'm not sure what cough syrup you take but when it's so good, it's a crime to not share.

mamoru.png
What!? Returning Destiny... When will this happen?

kunzite.png
This is from the distant future.

mamoru.png
Do I have something to do with it now?

kunzite.png
You shall choose which future.

C&C!!1!!1

bssmas_00010.png

mamoru.png
W...wait! Kunzite...

bssmas_00011.png

Nooo, it's happening again!

bssmas_00012.png

Of course it was, it's one of the oldest and most popular clichés in the book.

bssmas_00013.png
bssmas_00014.png
bssmas_00015.png

I can respect translators trying to stay as faithful as possible to the source material but really, why not go with a translation rather than leaving the Japanese name? That stuff is the box I talked about earlier where the four generals, now turned into gems, are kept. It could mean "Can of Rotten Poodle" or maybe make no sense at all for all we know. It's the same for the Ginzuishou from the intro, why not use the official term of "Silver Crystal"? Damn Jap lovers who think they are clever than anyone else...

bssmas_00016.png
bssmas_00017.png
bssmas_00018.png

We leave Mamoru's room and switch to the Hirakawa Shrine where Rei and Makoto are standing. Rei, a shinto shrinemaiden, is in fact Sailor Mars, strong of both spirit and body. She is often accompanied by her two crows, Phobos and Deimos. By comparison, Makoto, aka Sailor Jupiter, is a bit plain but strong like an ox, and often displays common sense maturity that the other girls do not have.

sailor_moon.png
Daimons have appeared again! I wonder what in the world has happened.
sailor_jupiter.png
Have the Death Busters been revived?
sailor_mars.png
Usagi-- Are you sure you didn't dream that?

I can understand the other Sailor Senshi doubt Usagi, for all they know all their enemies have been defeated and while Usagi will become the wise and respected Neo Queen Serenity, right now she is a lazy daydreaming brat.

sailor_moon.png
Oohh, you're so mean, Rei-chan! Ami-chan believes me, right?

bssmas_00019.png

sailor_moon.png
Uh? Where's Ami-chan??

bssmas_00020.png

sailor_mercury.png
Sorry, I came as fast as I could, I just talked with Urawa-kun.

Sailor Mercury's real name is Ami, a very intelligent girl (her IQ supposedly reaches 300) but physically weaker than the other Sailor Senshi, still very strong by human standards. Urawa is a minor character that appeared briefly only in the anime before he moved out with his family. Being very smart, he made quite an impression on Ami, but in a typical shoujo manner the two never confessed their reciprocal love and simply kept in touch. It's important to note that he has precognitive powers.

sailor_mars.png
Anyway, let's go inside.

bssmas_00021.png

sailor_jupiter.png
It's been a long time since you've met with Urawa-kun, huh?
sailor_mercury.png
He came to Tokyo for his holidays.
sailor_mars.png
So where have you decided to go with Urawa-kun?

Didn't you guys have some urgent topic to discuss? Namely the reappearence of an ancient enemy?

sailor_mercury.png
Umm, well... There are some national exams coming up... So you see...
sailor_moon.png
See what?
sailor_mercury.png
I thought we'd go to the library.

bssmas_00022.png

I propose we use this picture on the Codex for the :facepalm: tag.

sailor_moon.png
Eeeh? you wanna go to the library with him?
sailor_jupiter.png
Oh reeally? Ami-chan, you could tell just me, if you want.
sailor_moon.png
Ahhh, you're so sneaky, Mako-chan.
sailor_mars.png
So what are the dates plans you guys have after that?
sailor_mercury.png
Huh!? It...it's not like that...!! We can't date!!

bssmas_00023.png

Yeah, like that stopped many clueless girls to get pregnant at 13.

sailor_mercury.png
But one day I'll be right for Urawa-kun. Yes...
sailor_moon.png
Yeah! So where are you going?

bssmas_00024.png

Here is Minako, alias Sailor Venus, alias Sailor V. She was the first to discover her nature as a Sailor Senshi, thanks to a white talking cat named Artemis, kind of the same way it happened with Sailor Moon and Luna. During that time she looked for the reincarnation of Princess Serena and fought crime under the name of Sailor V, like all magical girls do. She is the leader of the Inner Senshi (Mars, Mercury and Jupiter) when Sailor Moon is unavailable, and while more experienced than the others, she can be quite silly.

sailor_venus.png
Sorry for making you all wait.

bssmas_00025.png

sailor_jupiter.png
Hey, Ami-chan's got a boyfriend! And he's coming here soon!
sailor_mercury.png
Wa...wait a sec, Mako-chan! It's not like that with Urawa-kun...

bssmas_00026.png

This guy is Yuuichirou, appears only briefly in the anime, is a shinto priest in training and makes Rei feel so-hot-in-here,-do-you-mind-if-I-open-the-window?-It's-that-or-I-remove-my-clothes. That kind of hot.

yuuichirou.png
How are you?

bssmas_00027.png

sailor_mars.png
Th...thank you, Yuuichirou.
yuuichirou.png
Take it easy everyone!

Peace, dude! Take care of your shrooms!

bssmas_00028.png

sailor_mars.png
Wh-what was that, Usagi? Why are you talking with that tone of voice?
sailor_moon.png
Because of what just happened. You and Yuuichirou are great friends, right?

bssmas_00029.png

I have to say that's quality drama there. Tolkien would never have written something like this and that's why he's so boring.

sailor_mars.png
I...it's nothing.
sailor_moon.png
Really?
sailor_mars.png
Really... really, Really! It's nothing! Well then Usagi, who's YOUR boyfriend?
sailor_moon.png
Uh? Me?

As if it wasn't obvious. I mean it's common knowledge among the Senshi that Usagi and Mamoru are reincarnation of ancient lovers and they displayed their juvenile affection quite often. Asking her who her lover is at this point of the storyline is pretty retarded.

bssmas_00030.png
bssmas_00031.png

KAWAAAAI! ^___^

sailor_moon.png
We'll be like this forever... He's kissed me already.

If you check the last pages of the last book, Mamoru and Usagi wake up together, naked, in the same bed. Try to convince me all they did was kissing. Just try.

bssmas_00032.png

sailor_moon.png
Kyaa! I shouldn't of said that!
sailor_mars.png
Thanks for that.

I just wonder if she is blushing because she let out that she kissed her boyfriend already or if she was about to say they did much more than that...

sailor_venus.png
-Sigh- Even when you act like that, I'm still jealous.
sailor_jupiter.png
True... Usagi-chan's with Mamoru-san. Ami-chan and Urawa-kun might be a bit separated, but they're a couple.
sailor_venus.png
And it doesn't matter what Rei-chan says, she's with Yuuichirou-san.
sailor_jupiter.png
-Sigh- I want a boyfriend too.
sailor_venus.png
Me too. -Sigh-

They probably could find all the men they want. You see, when a woman offers herself to a man, the man will always accept to sleep with her without any question. That's because deep down men are innocent beings, maybe a bit naïve sometimes I admit, but it's just a sign of their good and honest nature. When a man offers himself to a woman though, the woman will always first consider the situation of the man, his bank account, his profession, and very likely refuse if it doesn't match her strict criteria's. That's because women naturally are evil bean counters. That Minako and Makoto complain they can't find a boyfriend is politically correct bullshit that attempts to make us believe women are honest and sensitive beings.

luna.png
Don't you have to go already, Ami-chan?

bssmas_00033.png

sailor_mercury.png
Oh, yeah! Sorry about today, everyone.

bssmas_00034.png

Instead of, you know, discussing the attack of a Daimon in the jewelry store.

sailor_jupiter.png
Huh? That's...really mean.
sailor_mars.png
But... I really want to know.
sailor_jupiter.png
Wa..wait a sec, everyone!
sailor_moon.png
Ok, let's go! Yaay!
sailor_venus.png
Uh? Mako-chan, aren't you coming?

bssmas_00035.png

sailor_jupiter.png
Ahh... No, I stand firm on this.
sailor_mars.png
I'm really worried about her.

bssmas_00036.png
bssmas_00037.png

This is one reason Sailor Moon has always been so popular: mixing the archetypical fight of good versus evil with regular day to day love aches of teenagers. Having real people the public can identify itself with is the first step in crafting a good story.

bssmas_00038.png
bssmas_00039.png
bssmas_00040.png

bssmas_00041.png
bssmas_00042.png

sailor_jupiter.png
That bus goes to Tokyo Station, doesn't it?
sailor_venus.png
Let's go on the bus too.

bssmas_00043.png

Me too, you have no idea.

bssmas_00044.png
bssmas_00045.png
bssmas_00046.png

The fast travel in this game is pretty cool, using a public transit system. Morrowind later ripped this game off with the Silt Striders but we'll all remember that Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story did it first. And it was superior because you could see your character enter the bus that would then drive away on the road while Morrowind just had the screen cut to black and teleport you right away at your destination.

bssmas_00047.png

At the train station.

bssmas_00048.png

Another fantasy policeman.

bssmas_00049.png
bssmas_00050.png

The road is blocked, guess I can't even get lost if I want to and have to enter the station.

bssmas_00051.png
bssmas_00052.png
bssmas_00053.png

sailor_moon.png
Ah...! Ami-chan's right there!
sailor_venus.png
Usagi-chan, hide!

So clever!

bssmas_00054.png
bssmas_00055.png

I told you she was a bit plain sometimes.

bssmas_00056.png

As you can see, Ami thinks she is alone... She leaves for the platform and we partake in verbal exchanges with the other girls.

bssmas_00057.png
bssmas_00058.png
bssmas_00059.png

The action switches to Ami:

bssmas_00060.png
bssmas_00061.png
bssmas_00062.png

Need moar hearts...

bssmas_00063.png

The girls are waiting, people come and go...

sailor_mars.png
Looks like the bullet train has arrived.

bssmas_00064.png
bssmas_00065.png

sailor_jupiter.png
Yeah...hm? Doesn't something seem funny?

bssmas_00066.png
bssmas_00067.png
bssmas_00068.png

bssmas_00069.png
bssmas_00070.png
bssmas_00071.png

bssmas_00072.png
bssmas_00073.png
bssmas_00074.png

bssmas_00075.png

Oh noes! This is what you get for not investigating potential danger and instead meddle in someone else's love story.

bssmas_00076.png
bssmas_00077.png

Thankfully, we found Ami before anything happened to her:

bssmas_00078.png
bssmas_00079.png

Notice that the screen is significantly darker, meaning that there is danger.

bssmas_00080.png
bssmas_00081.png

sailor_moon.png
Huh!? I can feel so many different auras.
luna.png
Everyone, transform!

bssmas_00082.png
bssmas_00083.png
bssmas_00084.png

bssmas_00085.png
bssmas_00086.png

Looks like someone has to be Different At All Cost.

bssmas_00087.png
bssmas_00088.png

This Luna-P Ball probably means that danger is ahead and I should save, but I got cojones and I'll boldly go forward without doing so.

bssmas_00089.png

Since we got a full group now, maybe it's time to look a bit at the different menus.

bssmas_00090.png

Let's check the different options.

bssmas_00091.png

Typical item menu, shows what we carry and allows us to use items that can be used outside of combat. Note that we start the game with two Mooncups, these are used to turn Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi-Moon into Super Sailor Moon and Super Sailor Chibi-Moon respectively. The transformation can happen only once per fight, heals them completely, upgrades their stats and give them a different set of abilities. It will also break most link techniques they have with other sailors, as they are for this purpose different characters than their normal versions. The chalices are not very useful at the start of the game because Sailor Moon doesn't have many magic points and thus can't use her Super Sailor Moon powers.

It's also interesting to note that there are no items to regenerate magic points outside of battles for the simple reason that these are automatically set to the maximum for each fight.

bssmas_00092.png

This menu allows us to equip accessories, too bad we do not have any yet. Each Sailor can have at most three of these and they can dramatically alter the stats of a character, turning a mediocre one into a powerhouse as we'll see later. Some accessories have a gemstone in them and equipping it on the Sailor with the corresponding gemstome (for exemple, Moon is Diamond, Mars is Ruby, etc.) will give greater benefits.

bssmas_00093.png

This is an important menu, it deals with formations.

bssmas_00094.png
bssmas_00095.png
bssmas_00096.png

Basically, a Senshi placed to the right of the screen will receive lower damager but deal less damage in return while a Senshi placed to the left will deall and receive more damage. This means that you can place a defensive character to the left to take advantage of her high defense and have her deal more damage or place her to the right to have her become nearly invincible but deal pathetic damage. This last scenario can be useful in the case of characters like Sailor Mercury who have good defense, poor attack but can heal: place them in the back and they will be protected while they heal the rest of the group.

The Shoot formation is the most basic and all Sailor Senshi are on the same line, none gets advantages or disadvantages to their stats. It's useful for a well rounded group like the Inner Senshi. The second formation is the Arrow, an alternative to Shoot offering three attack positions and two defensive positions. The Victory is the opposite of Arrow: the Senshi to the right will be near invincible and the other positions offer decent protection as well but the drawback is only two mediocre offensive positions. The Cluster is risky but potentially devastating: it's a very aggressive formation, the center position offers a huge boost in damage but a similar decrease in defense, it's best to reserve it only to a high defense character like Sailor Moon or better: Sailor Saturn (but I'm getting too far ahead). The two front spots offer quite a signifant boost in damage and the two rear positions moderate defense while allowing to deal damage.

Additionaly, each formation allows the use of a collective attack if all Senshi have enough magic points. Shoot is the weakest while Cluster is the strongest; there is yet another one though, stronger than Cluster: the Sailor Planet Attack, available only when the five Inner Senshi are together, regardless of the current formation.

bssmas_00097.png
bssmas_00098.png
bssmas_00099.png

bssmas_00100.png
bssmas_00101.png

Here we can check stats and other vital informations about our warriors.

bssmas_00102.png
bssmas_00103.png
bssmas_00104.png

bssmas_00105.png
bssmas_00106.png

The techniques too, the names are quite lovely.

The last option is the puzzle one. Since we collected no puzzle piece yet, it's rather useless. Basically, we can collect pieces of puzzles from random battles, except 8 that must be found in the game. If we complete the puzzles, we can later exchange it for something nice.

And now, back to the adventure!

bssmas_00107.png
bssmas_00108.png

Three steps and here is a monster. But he is alone and we are five.

bssmas_00109.png

Shabon Spray Freezing!

bssmas_00110.png

Fire Soul!

bssmas_00111.png

Crescent Beam!

bssmas_00112.png

Supreme Thunder!

bssmas_00113.png

All these special attacks are accompanied by voice overs. I never get tired of the "Shine Aqua Illusion" or "Venus Love-Me Chain".

The enemy tries to retaliate but doesn't have enough magic points to do so. How stupid is that? This next round, most of the Sailors do not have any EP left and must fall back on physical attacks.

bssmas_00114.png

Victory!

bssmas_00115.png
bssmas_00116.png
bssmas_00117.png

bssmas_00118.png
bssmas_00119.png

They all gained a level! I'm so proud of them!

bssmas_00120.png

The second part of the train looks strangely familiar. Lazy artists.

bssmas_00121.png
bssmas_00122.png

Hey, didn't I kick your ass in the last room? This time we got more EP available so let's use them!

bssmas_00123.png

Shine Aqua Illusion!

bssmas_00124.png

Moon Spiral Heart Attack!

bssmas_00125.png

Can't show the rest of the attacks, the enemy is already dead. Let's check the last room then.

bssmas_00126.png
bssmas_00127.png
bssmas_00128.png

NOOOOOOOOO!

bssmas_00129.png

urawa.png
Mi...Mizuno-san...
sailor_mercury.png
Urawa-kun! Hang in there! Just hang on!!

bssmas_00130.png

sailor_moon.png
A youma... Surely, Queen Beryl has been revived...
luna.png
Anyway, let's get back to the Hirakawa Shrine.

Back to the Shrine.

bssmas_00131.png

urawa.png
Yes, I'm alright now. Well, Mizuno-san... I had a vision in my dream. The past and the future changed places...
sailor_mercury.png
What?
urawa.png
I don't understand it very well but... History... No, Destiny will change.
sailor_mercury.png
Destiny...

Oh, for the love of Crom, here they go again... Is it me or everyone in this game sounds like Cleve?

bssmas_00132.png

sailor_mercury.png
So, the future has been replaced?
urawa.png
No. The past has also been replaced.
sailor_mercury.png
The past!?

Convenient.

bssmas_00133.png
bssmas_00134.png
bssmas_00135.png

That formula is actually quite formidable to if your barbecue is giving you trouble.

sailor_moon.png
That's...!? Who is it? An enemy?

Doesn't look like Santa Claus to me.

bssmas_00136.png
bssmas_00137.png

Death Phantom, Apsu and now Sin. We're making a lot of enemies we do not even know yet.

bssmas_00138.png
bssmas_00139.png
bssmas_00140.png

Hm, bacon bacon bacon!

sailor_mars.png
I'm all covered in soot.
sailor_moon.png
What was that?
sailor_mars.png
I don't know. -Cough Cough-

bssmas_00141.png

sailor_moon.png
Hey, Rei-chan. Your face is pitch-black.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

bssmas_00142.png

sailor_mars.png
-Cough Cough-
sailor_jupiter.png
Rei-chan, are you okay?
sailor_mars.png
Yeah, I'm fine. My clothes are all dirty!

bssmas_00143.png

sailor_mars.png
I'm gonna go take a bath. -Cough Cough-

bssmas_00144.png

sailor_venus.png
Sin...hmm, that's what it said.
sailor_jupiter.png
Who is it? A new enemy?

bssmas_00145.png

sailor_moon.png
Ah, I'll take the call for her!

Before we go answer that call, let's check if our friends have anything of value to say:

bssmas_00146.png
bssmas_00147.png

I thought so, we'll let's go pick that phone up then. I wonder though if I can let the game run for an hour, come back later and then see if the person on the phone is still waiting or not. Might be a branching point in the story... then again maybe not.

bssmas_00148.png
bssmas_00149.png

That's Rei's grandfather, he's a shinto priest and a typical creepy old man. Every town in Japan has at least one of them. If there is more than one, they gather up once a month and trade their granddaughters' underwears between them; the one who brought the best panties of the evening wins the lemmon cake.

grandfather.png
So you're going to take the call, Usagi? Oh well, I asked for someone, so I guess...

bssmas_00150.png
bssmas_00151.png

sailor_uranus.png
Ahh, Odango. Something terrible has happened. Hotaru's fallen ill.

That's Haruka, Sailor Uranus. She's one of the oldest Sailor Senshi, a race driver and a bit of a tomboy; Usagi initially mistook her for a man and thought that Michiru, Sailor Neptune, was her girlfriend. Actually, the latter might be true after all but there is no way to be sure of that. When Sailor Saturn reverted to a baby, the couple of "friends" (see more or worse) adopted her and took care of her as their own child. Fun useless trivia: in the anime she is voiced by the same actress who voices Shinji from Evangelion.

As for Odango, it's the weird hairstyle Sailor Moon uses.

sailor_moon.png
Huh? What happened? Is she sick?
sailor_uranus.png
No...this is... The doctor's don't know either, but this could be... If you don't come here, I can't tell you. So come to the Juuban Hospital right away.
luna.png
What's wrong?
sailor_moon.png
Something's happened to Hotaru-chan.
luna.png
Huh? Hotaru-chan?
sailor_moon.png
I just have to go to Juuban Hospital for a while.

Before that, let's talk to our two side-kicks in the other room to see if they have anything else to add:

bssmas_00152.png
bssmas_00153.png

How vaguely generic. I'd wet my pants if I was wearing any right now.

Anyway, this wraps the third chapter of this Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story Let's Play! Come back later for the next update where you'll read Volourn say: "R00fles".

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
edit: Btw, I had the maddest crush ever on Sailor Jupiter. (The Green Power Ranger.) Probably still do. MOAR SAILOR JUPITER!

Gragt said:
This update is dedicated to the loving memory of Andyman Messiah, the first horse to show symptoms of autistic behaviour. We'll remember him for his unfinished FF7 LP, his quirky behaviour and his painful death, which happened too soon. Tobacco killed him for he was ran over by a car while he crossed the road to go buy some cigarettes.
Gun_Horse_Sketch.jpg

Oh, I'm going to finish FF7 eventually. Don't worry about that, my big blue bad belgian butt buddy! But until I get around to uploading the newest update (the one with Aeris dying), please continue this marvelous LP. It's the best one I've seen so far on the Codex.

And you better continue stroking my ego by namedropping me, because everyday I do a search for posts where my name is mentioned. That's how I discovered this thread, no joke.

Radisshu

Prophet
Annie Carlson said:
I recommend Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and possibly Trigun. FLCL will make your brain melt. And if you like a bit of the shojo and fantasy, Escaflowne. And if you like seeing people get torn the fuck up by swords and shit, Berserk.

I saw ghost in the shell a long time ago (if you're not talking about some sequel?), I just didn't think of listing it. And I've read most of the Berserk manga (the anime ends somewhere in the beginning of the manga, just where the looooooooooong flashback ends). I'd count that as one of the series I enjoy in an ironic way, though, because it's silly, but still kind of cool.

Great update, this LP is pretty awesome. I'm also glad the necromancers of the forum seem to have revived Andyman Messiah, so he can finish that FF7 thread.

That tomboyish girl is actually a lesbian, according to my sources. That was censored in the american version (and some european ones, I think) of the anime, though, and they said she and her girlfriend were just "cousins" like that explained everything.

hiver

GiS: Stand alone complex is a series of short animas, not the movies themselves. Pretty good too.
I think i watched only the first season.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I recommend Ergo Proxy for some post-apocalyptic fun with a dash of mindfuck and pretentious silliness.

hiver

I watched that. Begins great then starts to really drag out during the middle but still has good moments and then ends in complete jumble.

Erebus

Arcane
I actually finished the game some years ago. From a technical point of view, it's sub-sub-FF. The fights are a bore, especially in the parts of the game where you control but one character. Almost all of the fighting techniques you can use do nothing but inflict damages (one of the few exceptions being Sailor Pluto's über-useful Time Stop) and, before long, the only effect of gaining levels is to improve your stats. The grinding is rather horrible.

As for the story itself... well, it's pure Sailor Moon (yes, I've watched more than half of the series, leave me alone !), especially since you get to meet almost all of the characters of the series (even the dead ones). And the new characters don't feel out of place either. Every time Chibi-Usa met that green-haired kid, I felt like gouging out my own eyes.

Anyway, this LP looks very promising ! Don't forget to collect all the pieces of that %&#@ing puzzle !

As for anime recommendations... anything by Miyazaki (except for Kiki the little witch), Perfect Blue, Paprika, Grave of the Fireflies (but not when you're feeling depressed), Utena (my favorite anime series), Boogiepop Phantom, Code Geass, Kurau Phantom Memory, Death Note... I've only seen a few episodes of Speed Grapher, but it looks very promising.

Anime has the same problem as heroic-fantasy : a huge amount of clichés. After a while, finding movies or series that do NOT feel like you've seen them a hundred times already becomes difficult.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh yeah, something else: Blue Submarine No. 6. I actually don't remember much of the plot (yeah, I know) due to having watched it too long ago--and even then in Cantonese, no subtitles--but it's possibly quite good. The first title to blend 3D CG with hand-drawn art, I believe.

Le Chevalier D'Eon is something to try if you want something different: 18th-century France before the Revolution. Excellent stuff, if you don't mind the gender-bending; even the art is of the "realistic" school of anime--no immense eyes, and everyone looks like normal people, not extraordinarily pretty or ugly. Political intrigue, sword fights, a lot of biblical references and historical references (amazingly the most outrageous stuff isn't even made up). For extra irony, watch it in original Japanese but with French subs, although not so much if you don't speak French. IIRC, it's the only anime other than the Rose of Versailles that deals with France.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
I'm not sure it'll make you too popular with, say, Kaiserin.
I was a big fan when I was 12, and would find myself promptly changing the channel when a family member entered the room. :lol:

Drakron

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
...Also, if you enjoy Sailor Moon, do you have a secret fear that a repo man is going to come along with a form that says he has to repossess your penis?

Last episode of Sailor Moon final season (the one with the Sailor Stars that are men that turn into women ... or something, I try to not think about that too much, or at all).

Sailor Moon final and ultimate costume ... NUDITY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom