Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Let's all rage together at "PC Gamer"s latest "top 100" "pc games" list

Should "PC Gamer" be exterminated

• yes

• absolutely

• definitely

• START THE OVENS! (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TripJack

Hedonist
https://archive.fo/3px4N
i'll just list the top 15 to whet your appetites
1. Witcher 3
2. Dark Souls
3. Dishonored 2
4. XCOM 2 (the new one)
5. Portal 2
6. Metal Derp Solid V
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Alien Isolation
9. Doom 4
10. Spelunky
11. Half Life 2
12. GTA 5
13. Overwatch
14. Hitman 6
15. Rainbow Six Siege

BONUS RAGE: the 'personal picks' section quoted in full
Personal Picks
These games didn't get enough votes to make the main list, but our writers love them nonetheless.

Samuel Roberts: Jazzpunk
A funny and weird first-person game that I’ve recommended to people a lot over the years. It’s got loads in common with Naked Gun and Airplane, in replicating that rapid-fire, sketch-style humour, which is a hard thing to do successfully in a game. It’s a true original. I love it.

Evan Lahti: Papers, Please
Wielding a rubber stamp, the lowly government drone is cruel or martyrish. Taking bureaucratic paperwork and making it tough, fun, and intensely meaningful is a big achievement. It’s as relevant and valuable as ever, in this time of border walls, visa restrictions, and immigration bans.

Tom Senior: Empire: Total War
It has its issues, but of all the historical Total War games this is the one that captures the series’ aim: to deliver the ultimate grand strategy game. Whether you’re protecting trade routes or rushing cannons to your frontlines, the campaign has an unmatched sense of scale.

Chris Livingston: Garry's Mod
Part-sandbox and part-toybox, this is a goofy physics playground for building, destroying, inventing, and collaborating. There are a million things to do and, thanks to hundreds of thousands of custom creations from the community, you’ll never run out of entertainment.

Tim Clark: Don't Starve
I don’t play Klei’s Goth whimsy survive-’em-up nearly as much as I used to, but I’m not sure I’ll ever feel as attached to anything as I did to my 300-day-old dream camp. Before the Meat Effigy catastrophe ended it all. The expansions add plenty of value, too.

Jody Macgregor: The Walking Dead
I gave up on the comic, don’t watch the show, and I’m fussy about adventure games. But I love The Walking Dead because it replaces puzzles with choices and lets me make altruistic, hopeful ones in contrast to most zombie fiction’s cynicism. Also, I cried at the end.

Fraser Brown: Black Desert Online
This is an MMO, so I should be in a cave murdering things, but instead I’m spending my days bossing my workers about, taking jaunts across the world with my loaded cart and selling booze. Murdering monsters and helping NPCs are only side jobs. It’s wonderful.

Katharine Byrne: SteamWorld Heist
SteamWorld Heist is a true masterstroke. While its wily cast of robotic space pirates do much of the heavy lifting, the ability to aim and fire in real-time, pulling off trickshots, elevates this above the competition. Did we mention there were also collectible hats?

Hannah Dwan: TIS-100
Zachtronics designs the most impressive puzzle games around – TIS-100 is its greatest success. Design algorithms using logic and computing to fit a solution: it’s smart in a way that can only work with plain logic puzzles. It also pushed me towards learning about actual computing!

Andy Kelly: Hacknet

One of the best sims of ‘movie hacking’ on PC. An elegant command line interface and imaginative mission design makes cracking into these systems a joy. One minute you’re stealing a recipe from a restaurant chain, the next you’re battling a rival hacker for control of your system.

Chris Thursten: Prey
This love letter to the likes of System Shock deserves praise for the way it lets you chart your own course through a believably simulated space station. Not all of its ideas come off—the Nightmare creature is a bit of a dud—but Prey is a victory for player-respecting design nonetheless.

Tyler Wilde: Defcon
A simple game of mutually-assured destruction. Build your airfields, silos, and naval fleets and then pointlessly defend your state by exchanging nukes with the world—kill more than the enemy, lose fewer than the enemy. It’s more challenging than it sounds, even though no one actually wins.

Phil Savage: Life Is Strange
A beautiful time travel adventure that builds upon and surpasses Telltale’s template. Whatever you might think about the hella dated dialogue, Dontnod should be commended for crafting a memorable tale that makes you care about what happens to its two main characters.

Tom Marks: Warframe
You can play Warframe for 100 hours and only scratch its surface. It’s a game that’s perfected grind, making the simple act of moving through its procedural levels and smashing into enemies a high-flying joy. Few games feel as empowering, and next to none are updated as often.

Steven Messner: Night in the Woods
Adventure games tend to bore me, but when they capture the emotions of being a cocksure teen trying to find their place in an adult world, it’s hard not to be engrossed. Night in the Woods is part-ghost story and part-coming of age story and it’s touching, evocative and hilarious.

Andy Chalk: Legend of Grimrock II
It expands on its predecessor in every way, with multiple multilevel dungeons, outdoor environments, new monsters and secrets galore. The genre is too niche to ever allow for major mainstream success, but for fans of that old-school style (like me!), this is as good as it gets.

James Davenport: Little Nightmares
I’ve never been so deeply unnerved while running from left to right. A simple sidescroller with a disgusting aesthetic, filled with gruesome creatures that look like they’re moulded from pig grease. It’s short, but its images hit close to home and linger long after the credits roll.

Leif Johnson: The Long Dark
The survival genre in its purest form. No zombies or rideable dinosaurs cross your path here; instead, it’s just you, your calories and some scattered junk against the cruel menace of the deep Canadian winter. Quiet, beautiful and contemplative, it reminds us there’s poetry in despair.

Matthew Elliott: Friday the 13th
Right now, Friday the 13th is the only thing I want to play. I’ll admit that it’s hilariously shabby, but with the right group of people it’s impossible to stop playing. Every failed escape attempt keeps me coming back, and every game is different. It’s an enthralling and violent game of hide-and-seek.

Joe Donnelly: Football Manager 2017
I’ve played Football Manager on and off for close to 20 years now and I enjoy it more with each iteration. FM is the quintessential football simulator that’s as much about multilayered micromanagement as it is about winning trophies and signing your boy or girlhood heroes.

where's my blood pressure medication :prosper:

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
it's not all bad though guys, rpg codex's favorite crpg of all time a.k.a. Plants Vs Zombies made the list at #65!! that's higher than System Shock 2, Doom 2, and Fallout 2 :lol:

Deleted member 7219

They gotta put a game from the last two years in the TOP 10 GAMES OF ALL TIME YO! even though Dishonored 2 is mediocre by most accounts.

People who think Life is Strange is anything other than a hipster circle jerk are fooling themselves. The story is sophomore and the gameplay is shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripJack

Hedonist
fDbwLRm.jpg

Nathir

Liturgist
Heroes of the storm on 38 place... Most simple and derivative MOBA before Dota2. Diablo 3 on 30 but no Diablo 1 or Diablo 2, both far superior games. Trash list.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Mass Effect 2 remains one ever present regular on these lists, even when the all the rest of top-10/20 games change.

Mark Richard

Arcane
each participant picks their personal top 15 games, and then the team gathers to narrow that list.

As expected, 16 of their top 20 games were made in the last five years. Games which have been played by most members of the team (and are also fresh in their memories) receive more voting power. The further back you go in history, the more scattershot the selection.

Err I mean curse those tasteless plebs! An obvious attempt to curry favour with publishers. :argh:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Eh, hard to rage about this, their lists have been garbage for years.

I wonder if a codex general best pc games ever would be an interesting alternative to an updated top 100 RPG list.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Who needs to curry favor with publishers? This kind of article is all over the internet and prints money whether publishers see it or not.

You see, we started with reasonable lists compiled through both a broad and deep understanding of the subject in question - lists that of course were shaped by opinion but were clearly informed. That's perhaps the ideal, and was the goal of early list articles such as this.

Then somebody realized that the lists that were created by people who didn't have a deep understanding of what they were talking about (and possibly didn't even have a broad understanding) made people angry, and angry people comment on your article and share it with others, and suddenly your non-ideal list is getting 10x the views of an ideal one.

So now the formula:
1) Start with a poorly informed list written by a thin-skinned idiot
2) Remove several obvious entries and replace them with nonsensical unjustifiable ones
3) Toss in obviously mediocre recent stuff so casual fans with zero attention span or memory recognize the shit they play and will reflexively defend the list against "gatekeepers" and "master racers" in the comments
4) Just for fun randomize the order
5) Top it off with snarky comments that hint that you don't give a shit while simultaneously suggesting that you know enough to speak with authority

...and you have a perfect clickbait listicle, tailor-made for consumption by other assholes who think they know everything worth knowing about a subject but can't be serious about expressing it because they get properly shit on for doing it, and the people who will flock to shit on them all the same.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess the journalists at PC Gamer only picked games released in the same century they themselves were born.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The personal picks in particular are horrifying. :abyssgazer:

Actually there are some interesting picks in there, unlike the top list itself. Note that "interesting" doesn't equal "good" (though that guy mentioning Papers Please gets a pass from me).

Of the Top 15 I've only played 5, and I don't think any of them deserves to be anywhere near the Top 20.

Falksi

Arcane
Interesting that PC Gamer gave Dark Souls 3 94%, but gave Dark Souls PTD Edition only 89% yet ranked it higher. It's almost as if they're a bunch of fuckwits staining the earth with retarded viewpoints.

And FFS, Mass Effect 2???????? Christ alive when will these fucktards start to realize how inferior this was to the original?

Deflowerer

Arcane
Imagine your average literary or film critic outlets publishing such a trashy list in their respective medium. Kek.

What's with gaming "journalists" and their god awful shitty standards. It's always the same: reviewing and analyzing video games as if they are appliance products.

And FFS, Mass Effect 2???????? Christ alive when will these fucktards start to realize how inferior this was to the original?

Inferior in which aspect? Mass Effect's gameplay was pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff, while the sequel got the gunplay right at least.

Falksi

Arcane

Inferior in which aspect? Mass Effect's gameplay was pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff, while the sequel got the gunplay right at least.

In every other aspect.

And it's a myth ME2's gunplay is better anyway. Due to the fact you're so reliant on cover, I much prefer ME1's combat.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since this has the anime tag on it, I remember watching an old anime, I forgot the name, but it has purple robot. It began as something pretty standard, though a bit on the edgy side. Halfway through the series it got weirder and edgier, and it ended with a big edgy "fuck you" to the audience, which is kinda hilarious but not the way the author intended.

This list is just like that show.

Also, the "we're sorry" part seems like they admitting that they can't actually enjoy a proper computer game then calling out people who enjoy them as "hipsters"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom