Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's become daemon cops in Unavowed (Finished)

lightbane

Arcane
Ouch, so death scenes are a thing here. For good or bad the game didn't insult you with a pun for your failure. As for the creature, let him eat. The bodies can't get worse, right?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also that demon reminds me of a c-3po action figure from phantom menace

c3po%28episode1%29.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20180816113716_1.jpg

The chosen one has chosen.

:codexisfor: Let him feed.

mandy1.png
Yes. It is the most... practical solution.

eli5.png
Ugh. I'm going to be sick.

mandy2.png
Rise, creature. Eat your fill and begone.

20180819105722_1.jpg

awful manners

mandy1.png
Are you finished?

eli1.png
Please please please be finished.

demon1.png
Yes. I believe I can make the return journey and survive. Thanks be to you, Jinn-child. Mage. ... Demonspawn. I shan't trouble you again.

20180819105739_1.jpg

20180819105739_2.jpg

20180819105740_1.jpg

Byeeeeeeee

20180819105742_1.jpg

eli1.png
Thank God. Let's get out of here.

20180819105749_1.jpg

eli1.png
Yeah. Eventful.

mandy1.png
We did fine work this night.

eli1.png
We ALL did.

mandy1.png
Agreed. You showed immense fortitude. Especially for one in your... situation.

20180819105800_1.jpg

:codexisfor: That's me, full of fortitude and sexual virility.

mandy3.png
Humor. Good, you will need that. One year has passed since your possession. You are wanted by the police for many violent crimes.

eli1.png
Yeah, I'm sorry, but your days as a cop are over.

mandy3.png
Indeed. Although you can serve in another way.

giphy.gif

mandy1.png
The demon that infested you? That creature we just defeated? Mere taste of what is out there.

eli1.png
And they just keep coming. We need manpower. Look, you saw us in action tonight. It's obvious we need all the help we can get.

mandy1.png
Just as it is obvious your old life is gone. But we can help. We can give you a new identity. A new life. A new purpose.

A new hope!

eli1.png
Normally there's a vetting process, but you more than proved yourself tonight.

By putting a copper wire into a puddle? I mean, seriously.

mandy3.png
So... what say you? Will you join us?

20180819105834_1.jpg

Yes/Yes please/Of course

:codexisfor: You guys are obviously hopeless without me.

eli4.png
Huh. Say that again after my powers recharge.

mandy1.png
None of us are at full strength. Come. We can find suitable sleeping arrangements back at our headquarters.

eli4.png
Sleeping sounds GREAT. By the way, my name's Eli. This is Mandana.

mandy3.png
Welcome to the Unavowed, my friend. Trust me, your life will never be the same.

Woooo. Do I get free coke and hookers as part of the Unavowed?

20180819105852_1.jpg

Guess not.

20180819105857_1.jpg

Place looks like a dump.

20180819105859_1.jpg

Codexia wakes up in a trashed up room full of generic trinkets. Not a whole lot to see here except for a photo on the wall.

20180819105950_1.jpg

Spooky.

Leaving the room...

20180819110035_1.jpg

Ah, an armoury. Time to loot it.

20180819110037_1.jpg

uh wut

20180819110038_1.jpg

20180819110040_1.jpg

:hmmm:

djinn exist

Still, that won't stop me from looting the place. Like them sweet waffen.

mandy1.png
Please do not disturb those. It took centuries to arrange them just the way I like them.

:argh:

The helmet maybe

mandy1.png
That helmet is cursed. Any warrior who dons it would find their head squeezed until it breaks. I would be wary of touching it.

Codexia is no shieldmaiden so she can pick it up safely tho right.

20180819110115_1.jpg

Ooh, bet this will fetch a pretty penny on the black market.

mandy1.png
Do not even consider it.

Why do you taunt me so with all these hotspots, game? :negative:

Anyway, let's talk to Mandana. Prepare for much infodump for the remainder of this update.

Mandana moves with practised precision. There's not a drop of sweat on her.

mandy3.png
You are awake. Did you sleep well?

20180819110142_1.jpg

:codexisfor: [Perception] You... just came out of a bottle.

mandy1.png
This astonishes you, after all you experienced? I suppose I should have seen this coming. Introduction to the supernatural can often have... unpredictable effects on the mundane mind. It may take some time for you to process it all.

20180819110155_1.jpg

:x Who are you calling mundane?

mandy3.png
Forgive the term. No insult is intended, I assure you. After your actions last night, the word "mundane" hardly applies to you. I think you are going to make this transition just fine.

but i've already transitioned

mandy1.png
And this is good, because there is so little time to waste. My father Kalash is waiting to speak to you in the room beyond the red drapes. When you are ready, seek him out.

Kalash-47.

And more importantly, does the carpet match the red drapes?

mandy1.png
In the meantime, relax and explore the facility. I will be here if you have any questions.

"Facility", lmao.

20180819110218_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can we talk about the Unavowed?

mandy3.png
Certainly. What is your question?

20180819110225_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What does the Unavowed do, exactly?

mandy1.png
We are... peacekeepers. We protect the mundane world from the threats of the supernatural. We help who we can. Destroy ones we must. And recruit those who are willing. With you, I suppose, we did all three.

"willing"

:codexisfor: How long has the Unavowed been around?

mandy1.png
As a whole? For thousands of years. But the New York branch is only 400 years old. As long as there is need of us, we will be here.

:codexisfor: How come I've never heard of you before?

mandy1.png
We do not exactly advertise our presence. We prefer it that way. But the truth is, the last century has seen... a diminishing need for our services. Things have certainly changed.

:codexisfor: Changed?

mandy1.png
Yes. Supernatural threats have been escalating. It happened so suddenly, we were caught unprepared. We had become complacent. We have not been recruiting. You are the first new recruit in decades. The first of many, we hope.

:codexisfor: I'd like to ask about something else.

mandy1.png
I will do my best to answer.

:codexisfor: I have some questions about yourself.

mandy1.png
Me? What do you want to know?

20180819110315_1.jpg

:desu: So you are a... genie?

mandy1.png
The term is Jinn. And yes, on my father's side. And no, I do not grant wishes.

:codexisfor: How long have you been with the Unavowed?

mandy1.png
When was this city founded? 1624? Yes, I was just a child, but it was around that time.

:codexisfor: You are 400 years old?

mandy1.png
418. No, 19. My birthday was last month. It is difficult to keep track, but Father always remembers.

Good looking for a cougar.

:codexisfor: Can you tell me about Eli?

mandy1.png
Eli is my partner and a dear dear friend. We have saved each other's lives more often than we can count. You and he have much in common. He was once mundane, like yourself. I would recommend asking him about his transition, it might help with your own.

:codexisfor: About last night...

mandy1.png
Last night, yes. You gave us quite the chase. We know nothing about the demon that was inside you, but it was a wily thing.

20180819110357_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I wish I could remember.

mandy2.png
Be grateful that you cannot. It was... taunting us. Dancing just out of our reach. Slaughtering whomever it could. But we got it in the end. Regardless of what happens next, we stopped it. We can all take comfort in that.

:codexisfor: There's a photo of me in my room. Who put it there?

mandy1.png
I do not know. I am not being facetious, I honestly do not know. This building has housed many agents over the centuries, and they too have been given... gifts. Photographs and portraits of loved ones. Precious possessions long since lost. We do not question it. We merely... accept it. And be thankful for it.

:codexisfor: I'll leave you to it.

mandy1.png
Thank you.

20180819110423_1.jpg

Bandana gets back to slicing the dummy. Let's check this "soot-covered staircase" (tm).

20180819110428_1.jpg

hullo

20180819110445_1.jpg

boom

Some photos on the walls are the only things that can be checked.

20180819110459_1.jpg

friendly

20180819110512_1.jpg

someone's a stalker of Samuel Beckett, I reckon.

20180819110519_1.jpg

The womyn's face reminds me of someone from the Blackwell series super-heavily. Actually, not sure if her face isn't based on one of the voice actors.

20180819110528_1.jpg

Sum brats.

20180819110532_1.jpg

Eli the wage slave.

20180819110548_1.jpg

eli4.png
Don't surprise a Fire Mage like that! Bad idea. Anyway, hi. You settling in okay?

20180819110556_1.jpg

:codexisfor: [Perception] You are throwing FIRE!

eli4.png
You noticed! Yeah, I like to do it in my spare time. Keeps me sharp. But seriously, it took me a while to get used to this stuff. It's not going to happen for you overnight. But you'll get there. Faster than you think. Anyway, I'm sure you want to walk around. I'll be here if you have any questions.

20180819110609_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Could I ask you a few questions first?

eli4.png
I don't see why not.

20180819110612_1.jpg

:codexisfor: can we talk about the Unavowed?

eli4.png
I know a little bit about that. What do you wanna know?

20180819110616_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What does the Unavowed do?

eli1.png
Well, we're sort of... supernatural police? I guess you can relate to that, being a cop and all. Sometimes there's a threat that only we can handle, and we go handle it. Well, I say "sometimes" but lately it's been a lot more than that.

eli1.png
Gosh. A really long time? Sorry, if you're looking for a history lesson, Mandana or Kalash are the ones to ask. As far as I'm concerned, we do good work, and that's all that matters.

:codexisfor: How come I've never heard of you goys before?

eli1.png
You know, I wondered the same thing when I first joined. I mean, we're careful. We use veils. I don't throw fire around Times Square or anything. But the real secret? Nobody NOTICES us. It's kind of uncanny. Mundanes go through crazy mental tricks to pretend we're not there.

:generic urban fantasy conventions:

:codexisfor: More threats? How much is "a lot more"?

eli1.png
Let me put it this way. There are 732% more threats than there used to be. Give or take point five. A year ago, we'd usually be called out once a month, if at all. Now it's almost every day. And me and Mandana? We are the only ones dealing with it. Until now, anyway.

:codexisfor: I'm curious about yourself.

eli4.png
I guess if we're gonna work together, we should know each other. Ask away.

20180819110700_1.jpg

:codexisfor: How long have you been with the Unavowed?

eli5.png
Since the Nixon administration. I'm, uhm, older than I look.

:codexisfor: Just how old are you?

eli4.png
If you must know, I'm 92. It's the magic, it keeps me young. No surgery required.

:codexisfor: You're 92? Really?

eli5.png
Yeah, it is... it's what it is, okay? I'm a Mage. We live long lives, end of story.

:codexisfor: Why do you live down here?

eli4.png
Why do you think? Fire Mage here. I can easily burn this place to the ground if I'm not careful. I needed a place to practice, and a room insulated with stone was the obvious choice. Besides, I don't feel the cold, so it's quite cozy down here.

:desu: So you're a... wizard?

eli1.png
Ooh, never use the term "wizard". It's a social faux pas or something.

:thumbsup:

eli1.png
I'm a Mage. With a capital "M". The capital is also important. At least... that's what the books tell me. I've never actually met another Mage to find out.

:codexisfor: Doesn't that fire... hurt?

eli1.png
Nope. Kind of tingles, but that's it. It's kinda like playing with light. At least when it touches my flesh. Clothes, though? I can burn 'em clear off and won't even notice. Took about a decade and a dozen indecent exposure arrests before I managed to make my clothes fireproof.

:codexisfor: Mandana told me you used to be mundane? Like me?

Mundana.

eli2.png
Someone's been telling tales out of school huh? I used to have a pretty... normal life. Then one day I set my office on fire. With my mind. Then stuff happened and Mandana found me. She brought me here. The rest is, well, history.

:codexisfor: "Stuff happened"?

eli4.png
Yep.

:codexisfor: What kind of "stuff" happened?

eli1.png
I've bared my soul enough for one day. I barely even know you. Let's... talk about something else.

eli1.png
You had time to process it? I know I have. To be honest, I'm just glad the exorcism worked. It took four days of concentration to prepare that spell. I gave it everything I had.

:codexisfor: Four days?!

eli1.png
Well, yeah. When you deal with demons, you don't leave anything to chance. Not to mention LIGHTNING. If I hadn't prepared, I could have fried you. Not to mention ME.

eli3.png
I just wish I hadn't summoned that... thing. I know the creature was technically blameless, but I'm still not sure we made the right call. Still, I suppose it's too late now.

TYRANNY OF CHOICES!

:codexisfor: Could I ask you about some of the pictures on your walls?

eli1.png
Look, I really wanted to get some practice in. Maybe next time?

:codexisfor: A photo appeared on my wall. Do you know how it got there?

eli1.png
Heh, you too, huh? Wasn't long after I joined up that my first photo appeared. Scared the hell outta me. It's something to do with this building. It... wants you to remember who you are. Who you were.

Sure is... a lotta ellipses... in this game.

eli1.png
Don't think about it too hard. I've been here fifty years and I still don't know how it work.

See you around, Eli.

20180819110901_1.jpg

Going back up, and then right into... THE STUDY!

20180819110917_1.jpg

Impossiburu! The carpet DOES match the drapes!

We can check two things here, including a ship in a bottle above the door.

20180819110926_1.jpg

PIRACY IS WRONG!

20180819110933_1.jpg

And what looks like a family picture above the sofa.

RACE MIXING IS WRONG!

20180819111012_1.jpg

harro

kalash1.png
Oh, you're the new one, aren't you?

20180819111017_1.jpg

:codexisfor: [Perception] You're blue.

DA BA DEE DA BA DAI

kalash1.png
[Intelligence] No. I am Kalash. I am a Jinn of the Ancient Kingdom, and I run this branch of the Unavowed.

Original Ancient Kingdom, do not steal.

kalash1.png
And you? You were possessed. How'd you let that happen?

20180819111030_1.jpg

:codexisfor: You think I wanted to be possessed?

kalash1.png
You picked up that book, didn't you? Exercised that precious free will of yours? Yes. As I thought. Hmph. In my day, even a newborn babe had wits enough to leave books of demonic evil ALONE! Mundanes today. Don't know they're born. The world has gotten soft, needs toughening up. How tough are you, new girl?

wow this guy is very offensive

20180819111047_1.jpg

:whiteknight: I'm a cop. I'm trained to put my life on the line if I have to.

kalash1.png
I've read your service record. Adequate, but not exemplary. No, no, you have yet to explore your true crucible, but it will come. Oh yes. It will come.

ITZ COMING

kalash1.png
At any rate, we have much to discuss and much to do. Settle in, talk to the others. Get the lay of the land. I will call our meeting when you're ready.

20180819111125_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can we talk about the Unavowed?

kalash1.png
I might know a thing or two about that.

20180819111127_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What does the Unavowed do?

kalash1.png
We're the wall against the darkness. The protectors of the mundane world. We might not be what we once were, but we are here. And that is all that matters.

kalash1.png
Nobody knows for sure. Not even I. But this branch is exactly 393 years old. I know because I founded it.

:codexisfor: How come I've never heard of the Unavowed before?

kalash1.png
Hmph, that's gratitude for you. Used to be, you mundanes would beg us for help if a cat looked at you funny. But yes, I won't deny it. Supernatural threats became fewer and further between over the last century. There was little reason for mundanes to think of us at all. But things have changed.

blablabla

:codexisfor: You founded this place?

kalash1.png
Yes. This city was becoming a force to be reckoned with, with the supernatural forces to match. There was important work to be done. I volunteered, and here I am still.

:codexisfor: I'd like to ask you about some people we know.

kalash1.png
I do not indulge in idle gossip. If you want to know of someone, ask them.

kalash1.png
Not now. My opinion will be given during the meeting, rest assured.

20180819111217_1.jpg

Well, might as well do it since I've already mined everyone for info.

:bunkertime: Call the meeting.

kalash1.png
Indeed. The time for waiting is past.

20180819111231_1.jpg

kalash1.png
Yes. I admit she doesn't look like much, but we'll see what this life makes of her.

eli4.png
We were all neophytes once, Kalash.

kalash1.png
Most of us, Mage Beckett. Most of us.

20180819111240_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I'm right here, you know.

kalash1.png
I am aware of that. I have read the reports on your last mission. Mage Beckett. Is it true you summoned a void creature?

eli1.png
Yes. By accident, I swear.

kalash1.png
Irrelevant. Magic is unpredictable. I understand this. What I don't understand is why you let it feed on human corpses! What will the mundane authorities think when they find toothmarks on the victims, hm?

mandy4.png
The creature was both a danger and an innocent. We reached a compromise. That is all.

kalash1.png
WE'LL be the ones compromised if the two of you aren't more careful.

20180819111300_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Don't you mean the "three of you"?

kalash1.png
Ahem. Yes, force of habit.

mandy1.png
Father, regardless of our choices, the void creature is gone. We have a more pressing concern.

kalash1.png
Yes. You let the demon escape. Your mission was a failure.

*fail horn*

20180819111315_1.jpg

:codexisfor: They saved me. I wouldn't call that a failure.

You'll fit right in, Codexia!

kalash1.png
Saving you was... a side objective. Nothing more.

eli2.png
Saving people isn't a side objective, sir.

kalash1.png
And how many might now die because you let the demon escape?

eli5.png
... I was so close. I had it contained... but it was stronger than I expected.

kalash1.png
... I see. This is becoming... distressingly commonplace.

mandy1.png
Nevertheless, Eli speaks the truth. We underestimated the threat.

kalash1.png
Then that will have to be sufficient. And now to the next item at hand. Your next mission.

20180819111334_1.jpg

:happytrollboy: All right, my first mission.

kalash1.png
You are correct. In more ways than you can imagine. I have detected void activity in the East Village. Somewhere close to Astor Place. You are to travel there, determine the cause of the disturbance and neutralize it.

20180819111344_1.jpg

:terminate: What do you mean by "neutralize"?

kalash1.png
It means do whatever it takes.

eli3.png
Are you sure she's ready to go out into the field so soon?

kalash1.png
These are dangerous times. Dark forces are coming, we don't have the time for additional training.

Dark_Forces_box_cover.jpg

kalash1.png
If she isn't able to handle it immediately, we might as well kill her now. Trial by fire, sink or swim, do or die. You want to prove yourself to the Unavowed, new girl? Now is your chance. Meeting adjourned!

How ominous.

20180819111358_2.jpg

He turns into a mist.

20180819111400_1.jpg

And vanishes in his lamp. Coward.

eli1.png
Well, I guess that settles that.

20180819111406_1.jpg

:codexisfor: So who's in charge?

mandy1.png
None of us.

eli4.png
Yeah, we're a team. Try not to forget that. Anyway, we're ready when you are.

mandy3.png
I have not been to the Village in a long time. I am eager to see it again.

20180819111419_1.jpg

Nothing left to do but gtfo.

but actually

with all these tardos here, I can now loot the armoury in peace
tumblr_mu3scjR7k01shaex9o1_250.gif

20180819111433_1.jpg

or not :negative:

eli1.png
Yeah, the subways are super slow this time of night.

That's it for today. Next time, we shall embark on our FIRST QUEST!

also fucking hell this was a lot of typing i'll need to contain it somehow in the future

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Normally there's a vetting process, but you more than proved yourself tonight.

By putting a copper wire into a puddle? I mean, seriously.
I think the real proof was doing our willpower save on seeing a daemon without even flinching. That's real potential to become an acolyte.
These are dangerous times. Dark forces are coming, we don't have the time for additional training.
Or, Indeed, any training at all. I am beginning to understand why these guys have trouble expanding beyond 3 people.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Considering they send untrained recruit to battle and risk the only available operatives i wonder how they still have any people.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, you'd think not having recruits in "decades" wouldn't be that much of a big deal if Eli the magus is ~forever young~ while Bandana is 400.

lightbane

Arcane
The chosen one has chosen.

Because the supernatural experts cannot choose for us.

awful manners

Worse: The thing didn't even fully ate the bodies. Useless! At least unlike the previous encounter this didn't turn out to be a... *sunglasses* dead end *yeah!!*

And they just keep coming. We need manpower. Look, you saw us in action tonight. It's obvious we need all the help we can get.

One would think they would consider asking for help and send reinforcements from the other branches, but clearly their work code forbids that.

Place looks like a dump.

Yep, it should have looked more impressive than a mere 2/3 story-tall building, or at least use magic to make the insides bigger.

After your actions last night, the word "mundane" hardly applies to you. I think you are going to make this transition just fine.

It's a good thing that SJWs don't play adventure games, because that line would have triggered a shitstorm for sure, considering what happened with that inane nu-Doom 2 trailer.

You picked up that book, didn't you? Exercised that precious free will of yours? Yes. As I thought. Hmph. In my day, even a newborn babe had wits enough to leave books of demonic evil ALONE! Mundanes today. Don't know they're born. The world has gotten soft, needs toughening up. How tough are you, new girl?

The boss is unhelpful, cheapskate and grumpy. Some things never change.

Yeah, we're a team. Try not to forget that.

A group of two people is barely a team. And you went with that for decades, wtf? What happens when one of the two gets sick?

Also, you'd think not having recruits in "decades" wouldn't be that much of a big deal if Eli the magus is ~forever young~ while Bandana is 400.

It is when their manpower is THAT small. Granted, I know it's an excuse to have the player do stuff immediately, but the writing could be better.

giphy.webp

I don't remember Teal'c looking that awesome. Which episode is that from?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
After your actions last night, the word "mundane" hardly applies to you. I think you are going to make this transition just fine.

It's a good thing that SJWs don't play adventure games, because that line would have triggered a shitstorm for sure, considering what happened with that inane nu-Doom 2 trailer.

Whait, wha? What did nu-Doom do?

lightbane

Arcane
Whait, wha? What did nu-Doom do?

I guess you weren't paying attention to the Doom Eternal thread, which I can understand, as it's filled with Bethesduh apologists.
Anyway, here's the thing:

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...-calling-it-gross-and-anti-immigration/66299/

The comments about the demons, however, are made by a blue hologram that looks very similar to Cortana from Halo. Throughout the demonstration she mentions a number of comments that SJWs construed as “anti-SJW”, such as…

“My brothers and sisters, let’s help top make our friends transition into our world a comfortable one.

“[…] Remember: ‘Demon’ can be an offensive term, refer to them as ‘mortally challenged’.

“[…] Earth is the melting pot of the universe.”

These comments from the UAC hologram are used as a reverse propaganda tool to keep humans from being terrified of the demon invasion.

Social Justice Warriors took offense to this, claiming that it was racist, anti-immigration, and a “gross”, “anti-SJW” “dog whistle”.

Yep, sheeple got to that point. There was that webcomic whose name escapes me now that predicted this kind of reaction for the game, BUT, as a joke... Guess reality is worse than fiction, as the saying goes.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20180819111419_1.jpg

There is no time to be lost, so let's head out to the subway.

20180820175206_1.jpg

We're in the pipe, five by five.

Eli is engrossed in a book, while Mandana is counting the cracks in the subway floor.

eli1.png
Looks like the K train is down. Again.

mandy1.png
Eli, the K train was discontinued in 1988.

eli1.png
Was it? I could swear I took it to the Museum of Natural History not too long ago.

mandy1.png
You did. In 1986.

:D

Anyway, there's nothing to do in the subway except for listening to the banter.

20180820175257_1.jpg

So off we go to Astor Place.

20180820175303_1.jpg

Pff, not even a fancy map of NY, just pick from dialogue and arrive :rpgcodex:

20180820175312_1.jpg

What a dump.

mandy1.png
Hm, still raining.

eli1.png
At least there's nothing here waiting to kill us.

mandy3.png
Well, the night is young.

There's nothing to actually do in this place. No idea what's the point of it apart from leading you out of the metro.

20180820175344_1.jpg

Going down the street we find some ruined building.

20180820175347_1.jpg

Codexia turns away from the people, being an introvert.

20180820175352_1.jpg

:codexisfor: There's a cop there. I'm a wanted criminal.

mandy1.png
So there is. But you have nothing to fear from him. Not with the veil in place.

niqab.jpg

20180820175358_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Veil? What veil?

eli1.png
Yeah, it became active when you signed up with us. It just disguises your identity. Anyone looking at you sees slightly different features.

Neat. Wonder if you can use it to disguise shitposting.

mandy1.png
You are not the first new recruit to arrive with... complications in the mundane world. The veil prevents awkwardness all around.

20180820175412_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Great. Wouldn't want things to be more awkward than they are.

eli4.png
Oh, you have no idea how awkward things can really get.

mandy1.png
Indeed. The veil is not a shield. The veil only works on mundanes. Supernatural beings and the void-touched can see through it easily. But that law enforcement officer? He will pose no threat.

Void-touched sounds baed.

20180820175423_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Let's go. Unless there's something else you forgot to tell me?

eli1.png
No, there's nothing else.

mandy1.png
Let us continue, shall we?

Indeed.

Looking around, Codexia remembers that she's only been on a few arson cases. They've never been pretty.

As for the cop, it's been a long time since you were in uniform. This officer wears it well, despite the rain.

Doesn't sound like Franco Morino.

20180820175438_1.jpg

20180820175443_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Rough night to be out.

cop.png
Yeah, you could say that. Wouldn't be here if I had the choice, believe me.

:codexisfor: What happened here?

cop.png
Who wants to know?

20180820175451_1.jpg

:brodex: I'm a fellow cop, like you. You're midtown-south precinct, right? I recognize the badge number prefix.

cop.png
Hm. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. It's been in the news, but I don't blame you if you don't read that stuff. I'll tell you one thing. You see a lot of bad people in this line of work. But it takes a special kind of nasty to torch a homeless shelter.

20180820175500_1.jpg

:codexisfor: This was a homeless shelter?

cop.png
Yeah. A neighbourhood full of corporate chains, and they attack THIS place.

eli1.png
Was anyone hurt?

cop.png
A few people killed. A lot of people with second and third degree burns.

mandy4.png
That is... horrible.

cop.png
I won't argue with that. I was here when the rescue team arrived. They were carted off to Beth Israel Hospital, but the people here? They don't exactly have medical insurance.

20180820175515_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Are you sure it was arson?

cop.png
That's how we're treating it. Until we know otherwise, we're treating it like a crime scene. Which means stay back.

:codexisfor: I'd better get going.

cop.png
I don't blame you. See you.

Nothing more to do here. We advance further east.

20180820175601_1.jpg

Into this place.

eli1.png
Hey, are you alright? You look a little...

20180820175604_1.jpg

:evilcodex: I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME

20180820175606_1.jpg

:evilcodex: IT IS A GOOD PAIN

20180820175607_1.jpg

ruh-roh

20180820175609_1.jpg

20180820175617_1.jpg

:martini: I'm taking you out of the cold. That's all you need to know.

I'll do whatever you want. Just... help me. Please.

20180820175622_1.jpg

:martini: Just do as you're told and all will be well.

20180820175625_1.jpg

back to relative normal

mandy5.png
I... did.

eli3.png
Neuromorphic projection! I've read the theories, but never thought... I think she's coming out of it.

mandy1.png
Are you all right?

20180820175636_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What just happened?

eli1.png
You blacked out. Just for a minute, but...

mandy1.png
You had a vision. We saw it as well.

eli1.png
A vision from your past. Well, your demon's past, technically. This area must have kickstarted your brain into remembering. There was some psychic spillover. We could see it too.

20180820175648_1.jpg

:codexisfor: You goys can read my mind?

eli1.png
Oh lord, no. Pure audio/visual output only.

The "/" in that dialogue kind of triggers me.

mandy1.png
This building the demon entered. It used to house the Village Eye.

eli1.png
The newspaper? Didn't it go out of business a few years ago?

Some might recognise the Village Eye from the Blackwell series. It was the newspaper that Rosa worked at before hooking up with Joey. Guess it didn't fare very well after her departure.

mandy1.png
Indeed it did. What was your demon-self doing here?

20180820175702_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Starting up a newsletter for demons?

mandy1.png
I strongly doubt that.

eli4.png
Yeah, everything's digital these days. Right, enough jabbering, let's go.

Let's.

20180820175718_1.jpg

Going inside might be tricky since the door is Safely Secured (tm).

20180820175730_1.jpg

Fortunately, comrade protip (whom I forgot to immortalise in pix) tells us to employ the skillz of our party members.

20180820175741_1.jpg

Mandana has high lockpicking.

mandy1.png
It is done. Be aware that if law enforcement questions me, I am compelled to tell the truth.

Go go go.

20180820175759_1.jpg

@_@

eli1.png
Looks like people were squatting here. Half a dozen at least. Wasn't there a homeless shelter around the corner? Why live here?

20180820175839_1.jpg

I'm sure Zordon will have all the answers to our questions.

I'd definitely prefer to have power rangers in my party over these fools.

20180820175846_1.jpg

[perception]

eli1.png
So this room either belonged to a cult leader or a prisoner.

That's not important. What's important is that there are finally some drawers to rifle through.

20180820175911_1.jpg

20180820175913_1.jpg

Informative... I guess?

The other drawer in that desk has a working fuse (they always do).

20180820175929_1.jpg

There's also this thing here, which at first I thought was just a table with pitch-black darkness below it. But it's actually a cabinet, with a scrap of paper...!

20180820175934_1.jpg

Does ANYONE actually keep these kind of password memos that you always find in vidya? Especially if whatever it is that stands for the heart is just a name, so who'd have trouble remembering it?

Still, knowing the password is useless when we can't access the computor in this room. And we can't access it cuz there's no power!

Leaving the room...

20180820175955_1.jpg

@_@

20180820180000_1.jpg

The polkageist vanishes down the stairs.

20180820180004_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Was that a...

mandy1.png
Do not be alarmed. That was just a lost spirit, what would you call a ghost. They are harmless.

20180820180011_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Harmless?

eli1.png
Yeah, they can't exactly DO anything, can they?

mandy1.png
They have no physical form. We cannot interact with them, nor they with us. It is best to leave them be.

20180820180017_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can't you exorcise it or something, Eli?

eli1.png
Er, maybe? If I had four days to prepare? And even then, a human spirit is no demon. A human ghost requires a more... delicate touch.

mandy1.png
Death is part of the mundane world. We do not get involved. Let us move forward.

It is natural to die.

Seems there might be something of interest in the basement.

20180820180037_1.jpg

Or well...

mandy1.png
Are you hurt?

eli1.png
No, I'm fine. I tripped over... I have NO idea. I can't see a damn thing.

20180820180050_1.jpg

Fiat lux.

20180820180052_1.jpg

or not :negative:

eli1.png
Come ON.

mandy1.png
Is there a problem?

eli1.png
The darkness. It's... fighting the light.

mandy1.png
It always does.

ba-dum-dish

eli1.png
I'm being literal! Whatever's down here, it's interfering with my magic.

Fortunately, Eli's flammor at least uncovered a convenient fusebox on the wall. And since we have a convenient fuse...

20180820180113_1.jpg

Yehi or.

mandy1.png
Color me gobsmacked.

I wouldn't know the appropriate color.

eli1.png
It's a forest.

mandy1.png
A forest in a basement.

Don't be ridiculous, it's just some shrubs.

eli1.png
Well, that explains why my fire is so weak down here. Probably a natural defence mechanism for... whatever this is.

Looking around, Codexia spots that the tree stump grows out of solid concrete. Its surface is covered in... is that blood?

There's also a blanket covered with moss and lichen under it.

20180820180142_1.jpg

Dramatic closeup.

20180820180146_1.jpg

eli1.png
Well. THIS just got a lot more complicated.

mandy1.png
Male. Early-to-mid sixties, I believe. The cause of death is... difficult to determine.

eli1.png
He's got VINES growing out of him.

20180820180211_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Look. There are wounds along his neck.

mandy1.png
You are correct. Blade wounds. They are difficult to see with all this... growth in the way. You have a good eye.

eli1.png
[perception] So this guy was murdered. By a person.

Or a phantom scimitar.

mandy1.png
It appears so.

:codexisfor: He's covered in moss.

mandy1.png
Yes. This room has quite an... abundance of forest life. Your vision, you were familiar with this building. Whatever happened here, you were involved. Or at least your demon-self was.

eli1.png
You don't remember anything? No other visions spring to mind?

20180820180235_1.jpg

:codexisfor: No, I don't remember anything.

eli1.png
Well, it was worth a shot.

mandy1.png
No doubt your demon covered its tracks well before leaving your mind.

eli1.png
So who is he?

mandy1.png
He has no distinguishing marks. He carries no identification. Whoever this is, it remains a mystery
mystery.png

20180820180255_1.jpg

Suddenly, the ghost appears again.

:codexisfor: Is this body yours?

mandy1.png
It is a lost spirit. It cannot communicate.

eli1.png
Are you SURE about that?

mandy1.png
It does appear... agitated. Let us leave it be.

Yeah, talking to that bloke is pointless, since we get no response.

However, with the power back on...

20180820180416_1.jpg

We can finally access this shit.

20180820180423_1.jpg

Creative.

20180820180425_1.jpg

Ffffuuuu...

Well, I mean there's only one possible option.

20180820180446_1.jpg

doesn't werk :negative:

20180820180512_1.jpg

We leave the Village Eye, as there's nothing left for us to get there.

Next update, we shall enter... Tompkins Square Park!

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does ANYONE actually keep these kind of password memos that you always find in vidya? Especially if whatever it is that stands for the heart is just a name, so who'd have trouble remembering it?

I keep password memos both at home and at work for passwords that are rarely used (less than once a week). But not the login password.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I get a strong Mage/Vampire vibe from this.

I'm also waiting for Eli to tell us the leads are weak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom