Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Build Civilisation 3

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you for taking the time to write this!

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Thank-you for reading it & supplying encouragement along the way. If I hadn't seen people being interested by it then the quality of each post would have declined accordingly & I'd probably have skipped a lot of date-posts.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Nicely done. I wish images would load in some semblance of order, though. They seem to have a will of their own because Imgur.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
All those cities on tundra are pissing me off.
Tundra has a lot of resources. Oil and Aluminium strategics, and with forests on them, you also possibly can get rubber and uranium. Luxuries include fur, dye (with forest), and maybe silk (with forest). You can also get game on them with or without forests. If the tundra is interspaced with snow mountains or hills you get the related resources as well (coal, iron, gem, gold, etc.). It is one of the most versatile squares in terms of resources. It is just absolute shit in terms of base production (food/production/commerce).

Beastro

Arcane
Tundra has a lot of resources. Oil and Aluminium strategics, and with forests on them, you also possibly can get rubber and uranium. Luxuries include fur, dye (with forest), and maybe silk (with forest). You can also get game on them with or without forests. If the tundra is interspaced with snow mountains or hills you get the related resources as well (coal, iron, gem, gold, etc.). It is one of the most versatile squares in terms of resources. It is just absolute shit in terms of base production (food/production/commerce).

Most late game resources. I avoided it like a plague and just let my influence expand so I couldgrab them outside of my city boundries.

I really got into the habit of making as few cities as I could due to Civ2 realizing there was a universal city cap that fucked the AI over while a few really well placed player cities were as good as an entire empire of em.

Cael

Arcane

Most late game resources. I avoided it like a plague and just let my influence expand so I couldgrab them outside of my city boundries.

I really got into the habit of making as few cities as I could due to Civ2 realizing there was a universal city cap that fucked the AI over while a few really well placed player cities were as good as an entire empire of em.
The city cap in Civ3 is much, much higher. It is very difficult to hit it, unless you are playing Pangaea Huge and using the ICS strategy (i.e., each city only taking up 9 squares). It is far easier to hit the unit cap, which is about 4,000 units, IIRC, which would really put a dent in the AI's ability to wage war or defend itself.

I have hit both before, hilariously enough. I seem to hit limits on units in most games I play, having done so with Civ3, Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri (city size limit, not unit limit) and probably others I have forgotten.

Beastro

Arcane

The city cap in Civ3 is much, much higher. It is very difficult to hit it, unless you are playing Pangaea Huge and using the ICS strategy (i.e., each city only taking up 9 squares). It is far easier to hit the unit cap, which is about 4,000 units, IIRC, which would really put a dent in the AI's ability to wage war or defend itself.

I have hit both before, hilariously enough. I seem to hit limits on units in most games I play, having done so with Civ3, Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri (city size limit, not unit limit) and probably others I have forgotten.

I know, even then those cities don't give much of a boost besides tagging resources due to the nerfs they did to city spam.

I played Civ3 a ton between 2001-2008 (Internet got cut off from 2007-2008, madea giant WWII scenario where I was only able to get in 2 turns a day so much shit was going on).

Cael

Arcane
Seeing the old Civ3 graphics again makes me want to play it again. Maybe I will do a Let's Play using a scenario mod I created back in the day... Gave a lot of advantages to the human player, but starts with no tech and designed for max difficulty play.

EDIT: *sigh* Or not... It seems my computer doesn't like to run it any more... :(

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Seeing the old Civ3 graphics again makes me want to play it again. Maybe I will do a Let's Play using a scenario mod I created back in the day... Gave a lot of advantages to the human player, but starts with no tech and designed for max difficulty play.

I got sick of em an eventually replaced the tile sets and every navel unit while adding in a few new ones of my own, like nuke subs that could mount cruise missiles and a third late game transport using an amphib ship sprite (and turn the late game bomber from a B-2 to B-52 or Bear depending on how I was feeling).

I eventually disabled all subs though due to the invis unit bug that would make your units attack an invis unit without an option given to you to declare war or not first.

Cael

Arcane

I got sick of em an eventually replaced the tile sets and every navel unit while adding in a few new ones of my own, like nuke subs that could mount cruise missiles and a third late game transport using an amphib ship sprite (and turn the late game bomber from a B-2 to B-52 or Bear depending on how I was feeling).

I eventually disabled all subs though due to the invis unit bug that would make your units attack an invis unit without an option given to you to declare war or not first.
I added a nuke sub with cruise missiles and a Q-Ship type based on the transport/LST sprite. Think of the Q-Ship as one of the German raiders of WW2. Also added an Aegis Dreadnaught as the Battleship replacement, Paladins for Knights, Woad Raiders for Swordsmen and Mobile Bases for Modern Armour for the new civ. All require a new strategic resource (Mithril), so if that civ can't get it, it is screwed. All metal (Swordsmen and up all the way to Modern Armour, IIRC) units also get a +2 defense upgrade if the civ has access to Mithril, and workers get a +50% upgrade if they have access to Mithril.

Tigranes

Arcane

Thank-you for reading it & supplying encouragement along the way. If I hadn't seen people being interested by it then the quality of each post would have declined accordingly & I'd probably have skipped a lot of date-posts.

As someone who loves playing Civ every now and then, but totally sucks at it, I really liked reading about all the mechanics tricks. Much appreciated!

ortucis

Prophet
Not a single image has loaded for me, so it's just a LP of a text only game at my end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom