Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Cyber-Play... SNATCHER. (Finale)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm in a cyberpunk mood lately. I was playing Policenauts and thinking of making an LP , but then I thought that since Snatcher is it's spiritual prequel and a damn good adventure game, I should start with Snatcher. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Snatcher and Policenauts are the best games Metal Gear creator, Hideo Kojima, ever released. Snatcher was released in some obscure Japanese console at 1988 and was re-released in English in 1994, in the Sega-CD. Shortly afterwards, Policenauts was also released, but only in Japan. Recently a very good fan translation of Policenauts has been completed and that's what draw my attention back to these games.

Both games have obvious Blade Runner influences and are basically detective stories. Fortunately this is not the Kojima of the latest Metal Gear Solid games. Here he manages to deliver an interesting story without having much of his retarded delusions of grandeur.

gens2009-09-0503-00-14-59.jpg

Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see some of the images you must do this : LINK

CONTENTS:

gens2009-09-0503-01-05-17.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Prologue

Moscow, June 6, 1996 :

" A mysterious explosion destroys the Chernoton research facility near Moscow. The explosion released a biological weapon called "Lucifer-Alpha" which had been under development by the old Soviet regime, into the atmosphere, creating the greatest bio-hazard in history."

gens2009-09-0503-01-16-93.jpg

" Half of the earth's population dies within a week. This event later becomes known simply as "The Catastrophe". Six months later Lucifer-Alpha suddenly mutated into a non-lethal form. The reason for this development remains unknown.

gens2009-09-0503-01-47-62.jpg

50 years later :

" Mankind faces its greatest crisis. The appearance of a mysterious android life form. It's purpose and origin are unknown. Is it a new form of weapon, or perhaps an invasion from some other world ?"

gens2009-09-0503-01-59-57.jpg

" They appear during the winter, killing humans and infiltrating society by taking the place of their victims. Employing an artificial skin, they can sweat and even bleed."

gens2009-09-0503-02-08-15.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-02-18-15.jpg

" Part organic, part machine , they are almost impossible to distinguish from those they kill. As they steal it's victims bodies in order to take their place, these mysterious invaders have become known as ... SNATCHERS."

gens2009-09-0503-02-39-73.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-02-52-07.jpg

Japan, December 2047, Neo Kobe city :

gens2009-09-0503-03-25-81.jpg

Welcome to Neo Kobe. It's a vast city built upon an artificial island in the south coast of Japan. It quickly became a major science and culture hub and experienced heavy immigration. The Snatcher menace seems to have originated here and since then the city has been placed under quarantine.

gens2009-09-0503-03-52-31.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-04-46-45.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-05-52-42.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_1.jpg
Gillian what's wrong, what happened ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Jamie... I've decided to become a junker.

A garbage man , way to go ! Hey, it's an honest to god work... Ahhh, you mean a Junker ! A member of that special force created to hunt down Snatchers...ok then.

gens2009-09-0503-05-54-64.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_1.jpg
A Junker ? But why ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Jamie, you know why... It's the only way we could regain our lost memories. "Snatcher" is the only word that keeps coming back every time we try to remember our pasts... I have to face them to find out why.

Snatcher_Jamie_1.jpg
Yes, but I can sense that something terrible is hidden in our pasts, something that if we remembered it, it could destroy us.

gens2009-09-0503-06-20-25.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-06-22-68.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
It's time for me to go... Take care, Jamie.

gens2009-09-0503-06-45-32.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-06-49-21.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-06-55-00.jpg

GILLIAN SEED :

-Estimated age : 31

-Three years ago , he and his wife Jamie Seed were taken into protective custody in the Siberian neutral zone by the 17th Siberian investigative force. Both of them suffer from severe amnesia, their memories of events prior to being picked up in Siberia lost in a mental fog.

-Two years ago, after a vain attempt to rebuild their marriage, Jamie and Gillian separate. Following extensive special military training, Gillian is ordered to report to Neo Kobe city as a JUNKER... effective today.

gens2009-09-0503-08-01-12.jpg

Shiiiiit... I always knew that Konami would eventually evolve into an evil multinational corporation with huge skyscrapers, it's just like that thing Cleve said.

Another game to add to your already impressive LP portfolio. Keep this up and Andyman will be unemployed by the end of the year.

Edit: There's a subforum for LP's now. :P

Good choice. Shame about the typical bullshit Kojima nonsensical ending though. How were you finding Policenauts now that it's been translated?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
been years since i played this on a buggy Mega CD emulator.

do go on, dear sir.
The Gens emulator seems to have near-flawless sega-cd emulation.

Satori said:
How were you finding Policenauts now that it's been translated?
Pretty good, so far. It's very similar to Snatcher in the way it feels and plays. As for the translation it's better than most "professional" game translations.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Stereotypical Villain said:
Edit: There's a subforum for LP's now. :P

What the fuck? How did I manage to miss that? :oops:

It's probably because I mostly use the front page of codex to look for active topics. I'll see if some mod will move this thread there.

Luzur said:
been years since i played this on a buggy Mega CD emulator.

do go on, dear sir.
There are some versions of the game where it game-breakingly freezes in the first car scene, you just need to get a different copy of Snatcher.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The Vanished One said:
ghostdog, the Ghost God of LP!!!

(Yes, I do hate myself now)

Damn... if was a vain bastard like Andyman, I'd put this in my sig.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
gens2009-09-0503-08-07-50.jpg

CHAPTER 1 : NEW JUNKER IN TOWN.

gens2009-09-0503-08-15-73.jpg

The game uses a menu of commands in each screen. If we try to enter the building...

gens2009-09-0503-10-11-03.jpg

Ok, Let's talk to the cute receptionist.

gens2009-09-0503-12-13-82.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
My name is Gillian Seed.I've been assigned to Junker operations effective today

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Welcome Mr. Seed, we've been expecting you. My name is Mika Slayton, I'm the administrative assistant and operator here in Junker HQ.

Administrative assistant and operator. Yeah right, why don't you just say you're a secretary?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Very pleased to meet you. So, could you tell me a little about Junker operations?

gens2009-09-0503-12-49-12.jpg

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
A Junker's principle duty is to identify Snatchers who have infiltrated society and eliminate them.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You know, this is my first time in town...

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Oh, I'm sure you'll get used to it right away. There are many different ethnic groups and types of people here.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Looking down from the air, it was hard to believe that it's a man-made island...

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Well, it's pretty big. They practically filled in the whole Inland Sea.

So, ever wondered what JUNKER stands for ?

gens2009-09-0503-12-49-12a.jpg

Yeah, I bet they busted their heads to come up with that. Bah, enough of the small talk, time for Gillian to show just how smooth he is with the ladies...

gens2009-09-0503-14-06-45.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Tell me a bit about yourself.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
About me? Isn't that a bit forward, Mr. Seed?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Let me tell you about myself first. Maybe then you'll tell me...

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
How about next time? If we have the chance. Right now I should show you around the building, Mr. Seed.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Gillian is fine, Mika.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Ok, Gillian. I'll open the main door and show you around headquarters.

Bummer... let's take a tour of the Snatcher headquarters. Chief's Office should be our first stop.

gens2009-09-0503-15-36-50.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-18-00-85.jpg

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Chief Cunningham, Gillian Seed is here. I've brought him in as you requested.

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
Thanks for coming, Seed. I'm Benson Cunningham, the Chief of Junker operations.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Gillian Seed. I've been transfered here by the 17th special forces division.

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
I've heard all about your special training in the military, Seed. I hope you'll put it to good use in your new assignment here... By the way, I hear you're suffering from amnesia. Any sign yet that your memory is coming back ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
I'm afraid not. I can't remember a thing from before the army picked me up 3 years ago.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
You're married, aren't you ?

Oooh, Mika is interested.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Yes, but we're separated now. She has amnesia as well and without any memories between the two of us, I'm afraid there was very little to base a good relationship on.

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
I can see your point there.

Let's ask Mr. Chief about our authorities...

gens2009-09-0503-18-48-82.jpg

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
A Junker operates with certain rules and previledges different from regular police officers. Those are :

1. The purpose of the Junker force is to eliminate bioroid SNATCHERS.
  2. A Junker, even in the course of carrying out (1), must not harm innocent civilians.
  3. A subject may not be physically investigated or restrained unless irrefutable evidence exists that indicates the subject is indeed a SNATCHER.
  4. A Junker is required to assist and support civilian bounty hunters.
  5. In order to carry out (1), a Junker is allowed the use of a blaster, a navigator and a turbocycle.

Goddamn, I feel like Robocop. Let's ask Chief for more info about Snatchers :

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
Three years ago, the Snatchers suddenly appeared here in Neo Kobe. We have no idea where they come from, or what they want.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
What DO we know ?

Snatcher_Chief_1.jpg
We know that they kill, copy the appearances of their victims and take their place in society. And that their numbers are increasing. Junker force has just recently been created for the purpose of finding out more about this threat and eliminate it.

gens2009-09-0503-20-58-62.jpg

Before we leave chief gives us our ID card and some cash. It seems that Credit cards aren't used in some regions of the city. Time to go to the engineering section.

gens2009-09-0503-23-45-09.jpg

Ok, since the chief engineer is missing, let's fool around with Mika.

gens2009-09-0503-23-52-35.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-23-55-48.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-23-58-42.jpg

Yep, Gillian is a ladies man. Ok let's move on to see the Detective's room.

gens2009-09-0503-25-22-59.jpg

Maybe we should ask her about our colleagues:

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Tell me about Harry.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Harry Benson is our Chief engineer. He's a bit of as lush but he's a friendly guy. He's quite brilliant. He's won 3 Nobel Prizes.

Not one, not two, but THREE Nobel prizes. OK.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
How about Gibson?

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
He is our top Junker. His wife was killed by a Snatcher 2 years ago. After that he quit his detective job and became a Junker. He's been living with his daughter Katrina since then. He is out on an investigation at the moment. I'll introduce you as soon as he comes back.

Time to put our charms to the test, one more time...

gens2009-09-0503-25-48-31.jpg

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Yes?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
I can sense that you and I are destined to fall in love. It might sound crazy, but...

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Gillian, you're married aren't you ? ( This Gillian's a little weird... I wonder if he really can make it as a Junker.)

Smooth talker my ass. Oh well, next stop the computer room.

gens2009-09-0503-27-50-18.jpg

Let's ask about the big computer.

gens2009-09-0503-28-28-23.jpg

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
...processors. JORDAN is fully programmed with all human learning routines and uses an intelligent interface to perform automatic translation, problem solving , you name it. It's the best there is.

So, it's probably what Google evolved to. How about using this baby ?

gens2009-09-0503-30-01-50.jpg

Cool. Now why don't we search about Mika :

gens2009-09-0503-30-50-56.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-31-01-68.jpg
gens2009-09-0503-31-05-84.jpg

"Graduated from Kobe City University with dual major in Criminal Psychology and municipal Data Management. Worked in Kobe Crime Research lab before moving to Junker agency. Handled unusual cases and solved them by using the dangerous technique of attaining complete simpatico with the criminals. Psychological stress led her to resign."

Holy shit. She has two majors and she works as a receptionist and a secretary. Hard times... hard times indeed.

How about Gibson's daughter, Katrina?

gens2009-09-0503-33-31-79.jpg

A model, cool... Eh?

gens2009-09-0503-33-36-56.jpg

Good. We'll be sure to check her inner thigh for identification if we ever meet her. Ok, let's see what Chief Benson is all about.

gens2009-09-0503-34-02-26.jpg
gens2009-09-0503-34-13-87.jpg

Fox Hound ?... Welcome to Kojima's obsession to connect all his games in some way. This leads to a huge load of inconsistencies that I don't really care to search about. MGS fans are welcome to share their thoughts.

[People like to hear information about themselves, it makes them feel important Mr.Denton...] So, why don't we look up our own name ?

gens2009-09-0503-37-01-42.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-37-07-40.jpg
gens2009-09-0503-37-11-76.jpg

What the hell ? What's going on here... How about our wife, Jamie ?

gens2009-09-0503-37-52-60.jpg

Hmm, for some reason we can't get access to our own or to Jamie's data...

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Mika, why can't I access my file ? What's this level 7 information class ?

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Level 7, hmm..., that's way above even the Chief's ! This is really odd...

Odd indeed...

And with this , we've reached the end of the chapter. Why are Gillian's files unaccessible ? If you want to find out what's the deal with this amnesiac Junkie ,er, Junker , stay tuned !

I've heard about this game maybe once, but I'm pretty sure there's only two options for the the Shyamalan-like twist at the end.

They've pretty much spelled out that he and his wife have some connection to the Snatchers.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I've heard about this game maybe once, but I'm pretty sure there's only two options for the the Shyamalan-like twist at the end.

They've pretty much spelled out that he and his wife have some connection to the Snatchers.
This is Kojima we're talking about here, it's WAY more convoluted than that.

Anyhow good job so far, it's giving me an urge to actually get Policenauts up and running.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
ghostdog said:
The Vanished One said:
ghostdog, the Ghost God of LP!!!

(Yes, I do hate myself now)

Damn... if was a vain bastard like Andyman, I'd put this in my sig.
Don't worry, man. I got yo cred, dawg! Us lp brothas gotta stick twogetha, yo!

You know, the problem with a game by Kojima is that I can't just discard the fact that they've obviously mixed the male and female character names up as a translation error (hint for non-english speakers: Jamie can be either gender, but is most commonly a nickname for James, being a male name. Ok, it could just be an androgenous name for a woman. But Gillian is absolutely 100% a woman's name. I've never heard of a guy called Gillian who isn't a tranny).

Let me guess, there's some plotline about his wife and he swapping bodies/names (hang on - if they lost their memory, and they don't have any relatives to fill it in, how come they know their names? And if they made the names up post amnesia, why did everyone around them decide to play the asshole 'hehehe don't tell him he picked a girls' name, it will be really funny' on them - surely SOMEONE would have told him?).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

CHAPTER 2 : FIRST DAY ON THE JOB.

Welcome back to Neo Kobe city 2049. A lot of stuff have happened in the world, folks. We even had a World War III. Let's see what Jordan has to say about this:

gens2009-09-0503-39-35-92.jpg
gens2009-09-0503-39-42-07.jpg

"Nevertheless, Western economic sanctions forced the Chinese to withdraw this support, leading to victory for Western forces. Ending just in six months after it began, this conflict has become known as the "Half-Year War."

We've also heard that Gillian and his wife were found in the Siberian Neutral Zone. But what is this zone exactly ?

gens2009-09-0503-39-59-14.jpg

"...any outside interference. After effects of "Lucifer-Alpha" contamination are expected to prevent any plant or animal life from flourishing there for the next 50 years. In order to prevent recurrence of another war, The UN has set up extensive monitoring stations on the borders of the region"

Hmm, so if Gillian and Jamie Seed were found in such a region, it could mean they were involved in something big...

Jordan's database is huge and has many interesting topics. I like the fact that the game gives you a lot of lore to back-up the current setting. But enough for now. The only place in Junker HQ we haven't visited yet, is the shooting range. Let's check it out.

gens2009-09-0504-08-15-81.jpg

Why don't we give it a try ? We don't have our Blaster yet , but Mika can lend us her gun.

gens2009-09-0504-10-07-53.jpg

What you see here is the grid-like arcade shooting sequences that the game has. Yeah i know , nobody likes this crap in his adventure games, but they are pretty easy. Mika will comment on your performance afterwards.

gens2009-09-0504-10-50-56.jpg

Hey, I'm not used to these small feminine pistols ! Anyway, we better find Harry Benson , the chief engineer/Nobel prize winner/Madonna-obsessed fan , and get our equipment. Looks like he's back in his office :

gens2009-09-0504-15-13-29.jpg

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
Nice to meet ya, you're Gillian Seed , right ? Haven't we met somewhere before ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
No... I don't believe so. (Although he does seem somehow familiar)

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
Really ? I guess I must be imagining things.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Gillian is here to pick up his equipment , Harry.

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
I know, I know. Allow me to introduce the navigator which I designed especially for you. Hey Metal Gear, get out here !

METAL GEAR, ! ? omg, look at this huge shadow !

gens2009-09-0504-16-05-54.jpg

duh...

gens2009-09-0504-16-11-01.jpg

Say hello to metal gear, our trusty, wise-cracking sidekick throughout the game.

gens2009-09-0504-16-27-26.jpg

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
Metal, introduce yourself.

Snatcher_Metal_1.jpg
Yes sir. Pleased to meet you Gillian, I'm Metal Gear MarkII ! I am programmed to be your personal assistant.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Metal gear ? That's a pretty weird name.

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Aww, he's cute !

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
I took his basic design and his name form the Metal Gear Menace of the late 20th century. But quite unlike that metal gear , this one is designed for peaceful purposes.

( Super useful trivia : Metal gear started as a platform game in the NES)

gens2009-09-0504-16-50-53.jpg

From now on MG will store our evidence, provide on-site detection, analysis, recording and communications via a videophone. He'll also give you the option to "save" the current state of the investigation.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
What about fire-power, does it have any ?

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
'Fraid not. For that you'll have to rely on your blaster. Here, see how she feels

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
It's unbelievably light !

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
Heheh, you bet it is ! She's put together with the latest carbon polymers and ceramics. Well, what do you think Gillian?

gens2009-09-0504-17-56-70.jpg

:takes badass pose:

gens2009-09-0504-18-07-14.jpg

Of course you'll take it, you cheesy motherfucker. Now let's see if Harry can give us any more info about Snatchers.

gens2009-09-0504-18-57-62.jpg

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
It's odd, but we've never been able to get a specimen. They're always stolen, or have self-destructed.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Any weaknesses ?

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
It's tough to destroy them outright. Try to immobilize 'em. They've got these slits on their head for some reason. A well-placed shot there will often destroy their control functions.

Snatcher_Metal_1.jpg
Sorry for the interruption gentlemen, but I've got a video-call from Jean-Jaques Gibson coming in. Connecting...

Jean-Jacques Gibson. Best Junker in the business.

gens2009-09-0504-19-26-76.jpg

"Junker HQ, this is Gibson. I've cornered a probable male Snatcher. I'm at the abandoned factory in the Ina District. Request immediate backup."

Snatcher_Harry_1.jpg
Gillian, that means you. You better head out right away. Jean needs your help

Snatcher_Mika_1.jpg
Take your turbocycle to travel to the scene. Be careful Gillian.

Ahhh, our turbocycle. Us Junkers have all the cool gadgets. We'll just have to thank the BR movie for this shazzy-looking baby.

gens2009-09-0504-20-13-01.jpg

Time to head to the abandoned factory... Let's Rumble !

gens2009-09-0613-32-46-35.jpg

<First day on the job and now this... I guess I'll find out now if all that training really paid off...>

gens2009-09-0613-32-54-96.jpg

Things are heating-up. Why was Gibson so afraid ? Does Gillian have the guts to actually face a Snatcher ? Will he score with Mika ? We'll just have to see.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks to DU we're beamed back to the Codex playground.

And talking about artwork :

PSXCOV.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Looks like a jap Bladerunner ripoff in quite a few things.
BTW as soon as I've read "Hideo Kojima" - I wanted to ask - will it have a ridiculously retarded plot that doesn't make any sense too?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You even manage to bitch about a game that's more than ten years old and about which you know absolutely nothing? Wow, you really became a parody of yourself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't be a moron - where do I bitch about this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom