Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Finish Noctropolis (Update #15)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hurray!

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Let's Play Noctropolis, Part 3: Do not go gentle...
lp03noctrop_01.png

lp03noctrop_02.png

lp03noctrop_03.png

lp03noctrop_04.png

lp03noctrop_05.png

lp03noctrop_06.png

lp03noctrop_07.png

Charming.

petergrey.png
: I'm not from here. Where am I?

lp03noctrop_08.png

petergrey.png
: I must be dreaming.

lp03noctrop_09.png

petergrey.png
: I don't want to buy anything, I'm looking for Father Desmond.

lp03noctrop_10.png

Jew. Let's try some aggression...

petergrey.png
: Tell me where the Father is or I'm gonna rearrange your face!

lp03noctrop_11.png

Crap, weasel out!

petergrey.png
: I'm sorry. I got a little carried away.

lp03noctrop_12.png

petergrey.png
: Can you tell me where I'd find Father Desmond?

lp03noctrop_13.png

In case you missed the obvious hints in his previous replies, the guy wants you to give him something before he'll tell you anything useful.

petergrey.png
: Maybe I could offer you something for your time.

lp03noctrop_14.png

petergrey.png
: How about this...

lp03noctrop_15.png

We offer him our special limited edition comic book, because that's the only thing he'll take. Other dialogue with the proprietor hints towards it being something that would interest him.

lp03noctrop_16.png

Having successfully bartered for information, we are introduced to the "Ask about..." menu pictured below.

lp03noctrop_17.png

You start out with 16 subjects (you scroll up and down to view all of them) you know about, each represented by an icon. People by portraits, locations and items by symbols (such as the N for Noctropolis)

petergrey.png
: What can you tell me about voodoo Noctropolis?

lp03noctrop_19.png

... Darksheer?

lp03noctrop_20.png

... Stiletto?

lp03noctrop_21.png

... Father Desmond?

lp03noctrop_22.png

... Cathedral?

lp03noctrop_23.png

... Sunspire Tower?

lp03noctrop_24.png

... Cygnus?

lp03noctrop_25.png

We could continue asking about all the other subjects, but being a minor character, he doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know from reading the two comics or the user manual (you did download and read the comics, right?). Though we must ask him about Father Desmond and The Cathedral before we can leave Main Street.

Before we do that though, let's poke about...

lp03noctrop_26.png

lp03noctrop_27.png

lp03noctrop_28.png

lp03noctrop_29.png

lp03noctrop_30.png

petergrey.png
: I know guys who'd give anything to watch sports on a TV screen that size.

lp03noctrop_31.png

petergrey.png
: Does that include using the bathroom, too?

lp03noctrop_32.png

Despite all those tall buildings, the Hall of Records is the only one we can enter. Having no other purpose here, let's take a hike.

lp03noctrop_33.png

The travel screen! Locations are marked by the purple triangles. Our current location is Main Street, the bottom triangle, the other two are the Cygnus and Sunspire buildings. Our destination is just off screen, so we scroll up.

lp03noctrop_34.png

lp03noctrop_35.png

lp03noctrop_36.png

While we look at the pretty lights, a stone gargoyle suddenly flies down off the roof and glares at us from the fountain.

lp03noctrop_37.png

Let's try talking to it.

lp03noctrop_38.png

There is no Gargoyle diplomacy in Noctropolis.

Let's try sneaking past it!

lp03noctrop_39.png

lp03noctrop_40.png

Run you fool!

lp03noctrop_41.png

lp03noctrop_42.png

:rage:

Let's try a different approach...

lp03noctrop_43.png

petergrey.png
: What are you doing out here alone?

lp03noctrop_44.png

These kids, the way they are nowadays. When I was a kid I used to call my father, "Sir". That's right... "Sir". You ever hear a kid call his father that anymore? Pfft.

petergrey.png
: My name's Peter. What's yours?

lp03noctrop_45.png

petergrey.png
: Is this where Father Desmond lives?

lp03noctrop_46.png

petergrey.png
: I was sent to help him.

lp03noctrop_47.png

petergrey.png
: What do you mean?

lp03noctrop_48.png

petergrey.png
: Who's "we", and what do you mean by gargoyle?

lp03noctrop_49.png

petergrey.png
: You said "we" again. Who are you talking about?

lp03noctrop_50.png

petergrey.png
: Who's got the Father trapped?

lp03noctrop_51.png

Succubus, eh? We need to get in there and talk to Father Desmond, so we're going to have to find a way to get past that gargoyle. We've tried diplomacy and stealth, and Peter's too much of a shrimp to attack it directly, so let's get creative...

lp03noctrop_52.png

Taking a closer look at the sentinels, there's an access panel near the ground...

lp03noctrop_53.png

lp03noctrop_54.png

... and thinking about it, those fence spars have an interesting shape...

lp03noctrop_55.png

Peter smash!

Actually, it's worth mentioning the fence is fairly worn. I was going to write down the description, but I forgot. :oops:

Also, someone seems to have been littering... I bet it was that damn kid!

lp03noctrop_56.png

lp03noctrop_57.png

How convenient...

lp03noctrop_58.png

lp03noctrop_59.png

Yep, you guessed it.

lp03noctrop_60.png

I just love the "WTF?!" expression on the gargoyle here.

lp03noctrop_61.png

:miss:

Goddamit Peter, you throw like a girl.

lp03noctrop_62.png

:shock:

lp03noctrop_64.png

:smug:

macgyverx.jpg
: You're good, kid, but as long as I'm around, you're second best.

Shove it, Killian. Who asked you anyway?

With the gargoyle dead, we head inside.

lp03noctrop_65.png

lp03noctrop_68.png

lp03noctrop_69.png

lp03noctrop_70.png

lp03noctrop_71.png

lp03noctrop_74.png

lp03noctrop_72.png

lp03noctrop_73.png

lp03noctrop_75.png

lp03noctrop_76.png

lp03noctrop_77.png

lp03noctrop_78.png

Regardless of what we pick, Desmond's reaction is the same, so... What's up my nigga?

lp03noctrop_79.png

Holy crap, even the priest is packing!

And that's it for today! In our next update, Father Desmond auditions for the next Phoenix Wright:

lp03noctrop_80.png

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Good luck. He can't get out and you can't get in.

So... Father is kept inside a building that no one enters and no one leaves?

THIS IS LIKE FALLOUT 3 ALL OVER AGAIN

Also, the last three screenshots are hilariously ridiculous :lol: probably because of the guy's facial expression

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Darth Roxor said:
Good luck. He can't get out and you can't get in.

So... Father is kept inside a building that no one enters and no one leaves?

THIS IS LIKE FALLOUT 3 ALL OVER AGAIN

Now that you mention it, Flashpoint was acquired by Bethesda shortly after the release of this game... :plot-thickens:

lightbane said:
The digitalized models screw up, but otherwise this looks cool.

That was one of the complaints against the game, that they should have used cartoon sprites instead. I don't know, I think they add to the game's campy charm.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Let's Play Noctropolis, Part 4: asking Father why...

When we last left our hero, he was staring down the barrel of a gun.

lpnoctrop105.png

Turns out the good Father's become a bit paranoid since being locked in his own church by the gargoyle. He's more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs, and he'll blow us away without flinching if we say anything stupid.

lpnoctrop106b.png

Now, Father Desmond may not be Samuel L. Jackson, but he's still one bad motherfucker. To illustrate, here are some of his many dialogues:

fatherdesmond.png
: These days, insanity can be a blessing. Now watch your hands as we talk, and make no sudden moves.

petergrey.png
: A blessing... was that supposed to cheer me up?

fatherdesmond.png
: I'm in no mood to give comfort right now. If you want cheer, go to a bar.

-----

petergrey.png
: How about if you start by putting that gun down?

fatherdesmond.png
: A possibility I'll consider... later. I want to know how you entered my church. That fiend out there has kept me inside for days.

petergrey.png
: I found a way to destroy the gargoyle.

fatherdesmond.png
: Using what? Harsh language?

-----

petergrey.png
: I'm beginning to wonder if you really are a man of the cloth.

fatherdesmond.png
: It'll become crystal clear when I pull this trigger. With your dying breath, you will hear me give you last rites... in Latin.

-----

fatherdesmond.png
: You're as crazy as the Succubus! Tell your mistress I exorcised her once and I will do it again! Now get out!

petergrey.png
: My mistress? Father, I don't work for the Succubus! I came here to help you.

fatherdesmond.png
: It's time to give you those last rites I mentioned. I'm pulling this trigger after I count to ten. By the way, I'm counting in tens!

-----

Having established Father Desmond's badassery, we continue with the LP.

lpnoctrop107.png

We select the second response.

hunchsanctuary.jpg
: Sanctuary, Sanctuary!

lpnoctrop108.png

petergrey.png
: The people out there, Father. I can sense their mistrust. I'm not from here, and it's no secret I'm different. To tell you the truth, I fear for my life.

fatherdesmond.png
: You've come to the wrong place for shelter. Soon, one of the most despicable villains in all of Noctropolis will be here to destroy me. If she finds you here, you will surely die. It's best you leave while there's still time!

petergrey.png
: Then you should leave too. I can help you, Father! Who is this villain?

fatherdesmond.png
: It's hopeless. The only help I had is gone. I've tried to leave, but the gargoyle has held me prisoner. I don't understand how you made it past that monster.

petergrey.png
: I destroyed the gargoyle with a high voltage shock. Father, if we leave now I'm sure I can find a safe place for you.

fatherdesmond.png
: It's difficult to believe you conquered the winged demon by yourself. That'd be tough for our absent hero, Darksheer. It makes me wonder... what is your name, my son?

petergrey.png
: It's Peter Grey, Father.

fatherdesmond.png
: Peter, I want you to consider something. Noctropolis needs a new champion, a man to fill the shoes of our absent hero. My son, will you be Darksheer?

petergrey.png
: Yes, Father. I believe that's why I was sent to Noctropolis. But first I've got to get you out of here. Tell me everything you know about the Succubus.

lpnoctrop109.png

He hands us the bone. It now rests in our inventory.

lpnoctrop110.png

A portion of a jaw bone, which looks to be very human in shape and size.

Ew.

Anyway, like most other characters, after winning Father Desmond's trust we can interrogate him about all the topics we've learned of so far.

... Father Desmond?

fatherdesmond.png
: I've been here, it seems, forever. Although the church doesn't officially sanction the way I conduct business, they do recognize the benefits.

... The Succubus?

fatherdesmond.png
: She was once a dear and loyal sister of the church. During an exorcism I was performing, the fleeing demon sought refuge in her body. Because of that, the demon blames me for its trouble and pursues me with a vengeance.

... Darksheer?

fatherdesmond.png
: He retired without warning several weeks ago leaving Noctropolis in terrible danger. I haven't heard from him since.

... Stiletto?

fatherdesmond.png
: The poor girl loved Darksheer passionately. His retirement devastated her. She responds to no one and never leaves her apartment.

That opens up the location to her apartment, so we hit travel and head on over to enlist her aid, 'cause every hero needs a sidekick.

lpnoctrop112.png

lpnoctrop113.png

You knock tentatively upon the door's unforgiving metal surface. Following a hissing release of pressure, the door slides open.

lpnoctrop114.png

The young woman's resemblance to Stiletto, Darksheer's comic book companion, is uncanny. Slovenly wrapped in a pungent bathrobe, her hair hangs in a matted mess. Obviously drunk, she sneers contemptuously and adjusts her protective hold on the bottle under her arm. She may quite possibly be the most beautiful creature you've ever seen.

petergrey.png
: I'm supposed to be the next Darksheer. Father Desmond gave me your address.

lpnoctrop116.png

petergrey.png
: I want to become your partner, Stiletto, if we work together we just might save Noctropolis.

lpnoctrop118.png

petergrey.png
: Just because Darksheer's gone now doesn't mean you have to stop caring.

lpnoctrop120.png

petergrey.png
: It can live again, Stiletto. With your help.

lpnoctrop122.png

petergrey.png
: Bu-...

lpnoctrop123.png

Before we can say anything else she slams (slides?) the door in our face.

What a bitch. We don't need her. Batman was way cooler on his own anyway.

Let's try and find out something about that bone Father Desmond gave us. We travel back to Main Street and head to the Hall of Records.

lpnoctrop124.png

hallclerk.png
: May I help you?

petergrey.png
: Could you tell me about a jawbone if I gave it to you?

hallclerk.png
: Of course! This is the Hall of Records.

petergrey.png
: Ok. Would you like to see the bone?

hallclerk.png
: Oh, very well, but it's almost time for my break. Send it up.

lpnoctrop125.png

lpnoctrop126.png

lpnoctrop127.png

hallclerk.png
: What else can I do for you?

And again, we can ask about known topics. The info he gave us opened up two new subjects, "Ben Hutchins" and "Disasters".

... Ben Hutchins?

hallclerk.png
: Mr. Hutchins died one hundred years ago in the great disasters. He was a powerful man in the city. His remains were entombed in the Mausoleum.

... Disasters?

hallclerk.png
: A little over a century ago, there occurred a tectonic cataclysm. Ash from the semi-dormant volcanoes clouds the sky, keeping Noctropolis in perpetual darkness.

... Noctropolis?

hallclerk.png
: The City of Night was built after the disasters destroyed the old city and filled the sky with black ash. Thus the name, Noctropolis.

... The Succubus?

hallclerk.png
: She has been arrested several times over the years but, by employing… sexual misconduct, always manages to escape.

Kinky.

lpnoctrop128.png

We head to the new location, the Mausoleum.

lpnoctrop129.png

The stonework walls and mullions of the Mausoleum stand as monument, memorializing the wealthy of Noctropolis entombed within its sanctuary.

Formed of stone and concrete, headstone monuments gothically mark the final resting places of Noctropolis City's deceased.

We try the door.

lpnoctrop130.png

Hmm, locked.

Now, how would a superhero get in? A high roller would probably propel down to the roof from a nearby building or scale the outer wall and find an entrance from above. A lesser hero might perhaps open the manhole and find a passage in through the sewers.

None of those options are available to us though as we're not a costumed vigilante, yet. There's a back door for us regular folk to try.

lpnoctrop131.png

lpnoctrop132.png

lpnoctrop133.png

Whatever works.

lpnoctrop134.png

This is the crematory and preparation room. The only thing of interest is the coffin.

Adorned by brass accents a gun-metal coffin solemnly awaits interment.

lpnoctrop136.png

He's going to be placed inside the Mausoleum. Hmm...

Yep, you guessed it; we're hitching a ride inside in the coffin.

Unfortunately the coffin is locked.

lpnoctrop137.png

lpnoctrop138.png

lpnoctrop139.png

Convenient.

lpnoctrop140.png

lpnoctrop141.png

Oh, thank god it's empty. Wait, where the hell is Peter Bornick then?

Well, might as well get comfortable.

lpnoctrop142.png

lpnoctrop143.png

lpnoctrop144.png

lpnoctrop145.png

And now we play the waiting game. Until next update!

Radisshu

Prophet
Damn, some of this game's backgrounds are gorgeous.

lpnoctrop113.png

I think they should've used hand-drawn sprites instead of what they're going with now, though. Cool game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Man this is a beautiful game.

I'm not sure I get the spire-throw sequence. How did our hero not get electrocuted by the electrified spire?

Slovenly wrapped in a pungent bathrobe, her hair hangs in a matted mess. Obviously drunk, she sneers contemptuously and adjusts her protective hold on the bottle under her arm. She may quite possibly be the most beautiful creature you've ever seen.

Really? Drunk, in a pungent bathrobe that seems to stick to her body (pity) possibly due to it being so filthy (ewww), with matter hair, and still the most beautiful? Imagine how she looks on a good day.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Brother None said:
I'm not sure I get the spire-throw sequence. How did our hero not get electrocuted by the electrified spire?

Yeah, sorry about that. The answer is actually in the screenshot of the description of the fence I mentioned I'd forgot to take, so I went back and took it now.

darkrun000.png

The logic behind it is rust is an insulator, so Peter can handle the spire without ending up like the kid in Jurassic Park.

KickAss

Augur
I really like this LP, but im having a problem following it, because some pictures only load half way. refreshing doesnt help :(
am i the only one with this problem?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If refresh doesn't work, right-click on images and choose "view image". That way it gets downloaded to your temporary internet files. Afterwards, you can return to the LP, press refresh and now the pics should work.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
So is anyone else having issues with screenshots not loading fully?

In the mean time, here is some Noctropolis artwork. Get it now before GoG starts charging you for it.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes please mister!
We need our dark and gritty gothic fix!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom