Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Finish Noctropolis (Update #15)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is like Adam West batman or something where Bats can't seem to evade traps and kept getting caught in one....only to pull out his bat-something of the week to escape EVERY TIME.

matt_shade

Novice
I need to play this game again. I am told there is a point in a certain maze where you can catch a rat with a net. I have finished this game without doing this which begs the question, what is the rat for?
Gonchi said:
Here's a teaser, then, shamelessly stolen from the (sole) Noctropolis fan site.
Hey, I helped a little on that site (my first run-in with HTML, actually)! You read my fanfic (very first and therefore very poor) from like a 100 years ago? I actually sent in more chapters but the site just never moved again.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
matt_shade said:
I need to play this game again. I am told there is a point in a certain maze where you can catch a rat with a net. I have finished this game without doing this which begs the question, what is the rat for?

I can confirm that is indeed the case, there is a rat on the first screen of the Maze that you can catch using a net you can pick up close to the exit, no clue what its purpose is. I still like to capture it and pretend it's my man-eating, crime-fighting pet rat.

There's a lot of stuff in Noctropolis that is optional or pointless, like the bills and divorce papers you can pick up in your bookshop/home at the start of the game, or everything related to Dynatek and even the Bornick widow. Best guess is that it's stuff that was originally intended to have a purpose but had to be cut out of the game due to time/financial constraints.

matt_shade said:
Gonchi said:
Here's a teaser, then, shamelessly stolen from the (sole) Noctropolis fan site.
Hey, I helped a little on that site (my first run-in with HTML, actually)! You read my fanfic (very first and therefore very poor) from like a 100 years ago? I actually sent in more chapters but the site just never moved again.

I did actually, I also left a message on the guest book about half a decade ago.

matt_shade

Novice
Gonchi said:
I can confirm that is indeed the case, there is a rat on the first screen of the Maze that you can catch using a net you can pick up close to the exit, no clue what its purpose is.
Hm, would have been a nice pun if you could use it to find your way out of the Maze. e.g. drop rat and it runs and hides behind the object you need to get to the next room, pick up rat to repeat in next room.

Gonchi said:
I still like to capture it and pretend it's my man-eating, crime-fighting pet rat.
Tip: Get a Sega emulator and try Comix Zone.

Gonchi said:
Best guess is that it's stuff that was originally intended to have a purpose but had to be cut out of the game due to time/financial constraints.
You're probably right. Was hoping it would unlock another optional place like Dynatek but that's a long shot.

Gonchi said:
I did actually, I also left a message on the guest book about half a decade ago.
Been thinking lately about doing a text-adventure Noctropolis sequel/prequel. Stiletto Year One, anyone?

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
*ahem*

There are no tits in this update. Check back again in a year or two.

Right, there will be more lollygagging later, for now let's get on with it...

When last we saw our fearless hero; Darksheer was desperately seeking Stiletto, his missing sidekick and romantic interest, when he inadvertently stumbled into the lair of Master Macabre and was knocked out by a deadly gas trap!

He now awakes securely strapped to a gurney.

lp15noctrop_01.png

peter_grey.png
You bastard, where's Stiletto? If you've cut anything else off her...

lp15noctrop_02.png

peter_grey.png
Listen, Macabre, you let me up right now and I'll go easy on you.

lp15noctrop_03.png

peter_grey.png
What's the Maze?

lp15noctrop_04.png

peter_grey.png
Damn it, Macabre, I'm not going to just lie here while you butcher me!

lp15noctrop_05.png

peter_grey.png
I just love your bedside manner.

lp15noctrop_06.png

peter_grey.png
What are you going to do now?

lp15noctrop_07.png

lp15noctrop_08.png

I was really tempted to go back and re-do all the conversation options with Master Macabre and post them, because he's just that awesome and he's got some funny lines. Maybe after the LP is done.

Ok, I just want you to have a quick look at the screen below and try to figure out how we get loose.

lp15noctrop_09.png

No, really, just for fun, don't cheat and scroll down to see how it works out, put yourself in the main character's shoes. What would you do?

Alright, here goes.

lp15noctrop_10.gif

lp15noctrop_11.png

lp15noctrop_12.gif

lp15noctrop_13.png

lp15noctrop_14.png

Yeah. That just happened.

lp15noctrop_15.png

So how close were you to the solution?

lp15noctrop_16.png

Anyway. let's get out of here!

lp15noctrop_16b.png

Of course... like with other villains that we've faced, before we can quick travel back to the Shadowlair and heal ourselves we must first pass some kind of obstacle. In this case it's the Maze.

Also, you'll probably want to ignore those red numbers, they're going to jump around a bit.

lp15noctrop_17.png

lp15noctrop_18.png

Just before we make our way out through that upper door, our adventure game sense tingles.

lp15noctrop_19.png

Oh shi-

lp15noctrop_20.png

Fight!

lp15noctrop_21.gif

Stiletto wins.

Fatality.

lp15noctrop_22.png

Her ass-kicking skills are top notch, but her one liners need work.

lp15noctrop_23.png

lp15noctrop_24.png

You know, this is technically only the second villain we've encountered that we've actually beaten. Tophat and Greenthumb both got the better of us.

2 out of 4 ain't bad. Althought does this one really count? This was all Stiletto, we were too busy stealing beakers.

Anyway, let's get out of here.

lp15noctrop_25.png

Festive.

Beyond the door with the wreath is the Maze Master Macabre mentioned, which begs the question, how did he get us into his operating theater and why can't we leave that way?

Oh well. In the next update, we venture into the Maze looking for an exit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom