Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Let's Multiplay Alpha Centauri - Binary Dawn - Game 3

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Kalin, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    [​IMG]

Gentlemen, ITZ time for another round of SMAC! Just as in the previous game and the one before that we are using a tweaked version of Usury's Binary Dawn mod, itself a modification of Yitzi's Unofficial SMAX Patch 3.5. This time Isles of the Deep have been pushed back to Centauri Meditation and every faction starts with a free former. We play on Usury's brand new MapOfTricknology, modeled after good old Yuge Map of Planet. The haxxy granola jungle has been redistributed in small patches across the continents and a couple of landmarks have been switched around. We are doing random placements, so we might end up with some hilarious results. Without further ado:

Tech Tree (open)

[​IMG]

PBEM rules (open)

1. Be a bro.
    2. Do not be faget.
    3. Do not reload the save multiple times, or load game in scenario editor.
    4. Do not conduct diplomacy with players before meeting them in-game.
    5. Do not use colony pods to increase a base beyond its maximum population limit.
    6. Do not use exploits to hurry production at reduced costs, or build something that could not directly be built.
    7. Do not upgrade crawlers to more expensive designs before adding them to Secret Project production.
    8. Do not make social engineering changes and then change back in the same turn.
    9. Do not connect multiple artifacts to the same network node (supposedly possible if you rename the base).
    10. Do not start a terraforming task in one square, cancel it, and then finish it as part of combat terraforming.
    11. Do not perform aggression against a player and complete pending negotiations with him in the same turn.
    12. Reverse-engineering is allowed (making new designs utilizing stuff from a captured unit even though you lack the tech).
    13. Exception to the above! Do not reverse-engineer clean reactors from the initial scouts. Haraam!
    14. Upgrading units through workshop so that they can move the same turn IS allowed.
    15. When you probe someone, you do not have to pick harshest response or tell anyone what you did.
    I6. Planetary Council votes must be shared with all players because votes are not displayed in PBEM.
    17. Never RETIRE default designs in the workshop, this can delete those units for other players as well.

Game settings (open)

[​IMG]

FACTIONS AND TURN ORDER:

Lord's Believers - Usury
    Gaia's Stepdaughters - agentorange
    Peacekeeping Command - Grimgravy

Spartan Federation - Absinthe
    Human Hive - Kalin
    Morgan Industries - Hellraiser
    University of Planet - A.I.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Where is downloadan of the newest tricknologically advanced version of the mod with the pushed back isles?

Also why the isles got pushed back? Did I miss something after I got anally raped by spartan monster cock lazors?

^ Top  
  4. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Usury should make it available soon I reckon, went ahead and posted thread anyway because I'm itching to play! The early isles make it very easy to mass-harvest sea pods and score artifacts (transport units that don't get hassled by wildlife), helped Gaia get a yuge advantage last game. Of course anyone can build them and use the strategy, but now you have to specialize a bit more to unlock them, plus they were originally unlocked by Meditation anyway.

^ Top  
  5. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    I think I really need to get into SMAC

How do I start? Is there a good wiki/guide somewhere?

Also is Usury mod a balance mod or just bugfixing n shit?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. baud Arbiter

baud
    :avatard:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Guide: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=91
    Wiki: http://alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Main_Page

It's a balance mod. The bugfixing patches are scient and yitzi's. Kyrub's AI enhancement patch is most popular for SMAC and yitzi's is most popular for SMAX. People also install PRACX on top of them to fix resolution problems.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    [​IMG]

Game started. Good luck gentlemen, may we inflict epic levels of mutual butthurt on each other.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Command

[​IMG]

Sheng-Ji Yang surveyed the uniformed officers before him, making a point of looking each one directly in the eye. Eagerness. Devotion. Fear. No sign of treachery just yet. His own expression remained a mask of stoic calmness, carefully cultivated throughout a life of discipline. They were hand-picked for their loyalty - not to the mission as such, but to him personally as Chief of Security. Aboard the U.N.S. Unity they had obeyed him without question as he declared Martial Law in the timely absence of Captain Garland. Neither flinching nor complaining, they had dutifully equipped their electric truncheons, roughly herding the awakened crew from their cryogenic cells into the landing pod. They were reliable, for now, and in the wake of their successful Planetfall they were in effect his new cadres, the first custodians of his planned utopia.

"On his own, man is an inherently selfish creature", he began, carefully leveling each word. "You witnessed it first-hand; the chaos of individualism bursting forth as social order disintegrated, the animal impulse of self-preservation laid bare in its full degeneracy. You remained calm, because you are hardened by correct training. You understand the need for control. The crew do not. Like children they mean well, but left to roam free they will simply repeat the mistakes of Earth. Chiron is harsh, and we may be the last remnant of humanity: for our mission to succeed, selfishness must give way to the common good of man. Thus, we must guide our brethren to embrace the simplicity and purity of True Unity: one race, one goal, one people to move forward to fulfill our destiny."

"We will maintain the protective custody", he continued matter-of-factly. "Our supplies are adequate. No one is to speak, no one is to move. If our brethren are to do their duty as ardent citizens they must first acquire the correct outlook on the mutiny and the chain-of-command. Take them one-by-one and educate them. Explain to them the legality of our actions. Correct faulty recollections. They are bound to have many. Instruct them, as I taught you, in the proper norms of thinking and practice."

"Yes sir!" Kim exclaimed. "And if they resist?"

"Then you make an example of the first to disobey. Lethal force is permissible. For the rest, be gentle. Particularly with the women. We need every womb intact to populate this land. Begin with the agricultural, medical and technical staff. Employ persuasion aimed at reasoning with and admonishing them. For the most stubborn, consult Doctor Shimoda for corrective psychotherapy. Any questions? Good. You are my executives. Execute!"

"SIR!"

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Arcane Patron

Storyfag
    As Tradition dictates, I shall be stalking this thread.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Usury Arcane

Usury
    sancte (open)

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  13. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Auferstanden Aus Ruinen

[​IMG]

From the Hive to Fecundity Tower the People rejoiced as one on all levels in heartfelt celebration of our beloved Executive Officer Sheng-Ji Yang for his decision to lift the Martial Law imposed aboard the U.N.S. Unity in the tumultuous Year 0. The Executive Officer spoke at length on the subject of the Mutiny and stressed the importance of remembering and honouring his true friend Captain Garland, whose foul murder by terrorists is a crime yet to be avenged. Only Executive Officer Yang, as Garland's Second-in-Command, was fit and indeed lawfully eligible to lead us through our ordeals to safety in our underground utopia! Having now secured for us a sustainable method of living, united the people as one and fixed for us the proper standard for continuous development, our first civil government is at long last ready to shoulder the burden of Planetary leadership as detailed by the Charter -- and of course, whom could be more qualified to lead us than Sheng-Ji Yang himself, without whom Humanity would assuredly have perished in fiery deaths among the stars?

Executive Officer Sheng-Ji Yang was thus inaugurated as perpetual Chairman of the People and Marshal of Security in a beautiful ceremony of true social harmony. Much to the delight of the People, he was there personally congratulated by the finest representatives of our new generation of Planetborn Pioneers, themselves owing their very lives to the proactive Chairman's sound command, for you will recall that in Year 1 many women still suffered from critical inhibitors to true industriousness and selfless devotion imposed by 22nd century Earth academia and foolishly resisted the notion of child-bearing. Rebuked by our Splendid Leader's progressive "Four-Child Policy" they reflected maturely and corrected their thinking, and none could be more proud today than these mothers, made evident indeed by the many tears which were shed by spectating parents as our Hope of the Future collectively bowed and exclaimed: "Thank you Chairman Yang, for giving us the gift of life!"

Touched by this completely spontaneous display of filial devotion our Dear Leader granted four top-performing Pioneers of Progress the exceedingly rare privilege of accompanying him on a tour to the surface, spectating the brand-new NUTRISOY agri-farm complex, not to mention seeing for the first time - through protective glass - the beautiful shining light of the twin suns. Commenting on the great honour, Mingzhu Li (7) remarked she could barely remember the Centauri suns, for she was captivated solely by the brilliant rays of the Sun of Enlightenment by her side, Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang!

In other news (open)

Popped a couple of Unity pods, found minerals and got measly 25 credits out of one within base radius, kind of a bummer that since I was hoping for a nutrient resource. Ah well, could've been worms. Guess I will stockpile the credits for now, can come in handy for social engineering since energy does not come cheap with -2 economy. No sight of others as of yet.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Usury Arcane

Usury
    music (open)

[​IMG]

commentary (open)

Monoliths! Sadly they're all tangled up in a wretched region. Will have to dig out some of that horrible xenofungus. Two formers can take out a tile in five turns but to have to get there first. On our way!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    A flamegun, a mindworm and you

[​IMG]

comment (open)
    After the first unity pod turning out to be a can of worms I got not one but two monoliths in a row from pods, in base range. Also built some roads, a farm and solar farm.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Usury Arcane

Usury
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Hive anthem

[​IMG]

WARMLY LOVE THE PEOPLE THROUGH ENLIGHTENED SHENG-JI YANGISM

It is a self-evident fact of life that man holds a special position in the world due to his creativity and consciousness. Once amplified through Unity, these two characteristics allow man to achieve true enlightenment, arming him in turn with the ability to throw off the fetters of nature and put everything at his service. Through harmonious ideological integrity we thus approach the world not fatalistically but evolutionary, not passively but actively, and as we toil together, we reshape Planet not blindly but always purposefully and consciously. This is the essence of Sheng-Ji Yangism, the precious fruit of Chairman Yang's profound ideological and theoretical activities, the most brilliant of his achievements. Man, the social being, is the Dominator of the universe; everything in the world has value only when it serves man. Approaching the world through Sheng-Ji Yangism is the absolutely correct viewpoint, the height of human affection!

In this Sixteenth Year of the New Era of Man, the industrious zeal and inexhaustible creative power of our enlightened Unity have been given full play: agriculture is booming as a result of deep ploughing techniques, advanced rovers have been prototyped and our cognitive elite have at long last developed a working framework for a truly planned economy! In time, the unstoppable will of man will completely reshape Planet in our image. We will venture into space once more, and populate the surface of Chiron to breathe freely under the Centauri Suns.

[​IMG]

Of course, for this glorious future to materialize we must all strive to undauntedly preserve the faith and principle of our mission! Always remain on your guard against seditious elements, both from within and without. While it is the greatest wish of our beloved Chairman that potential survivors from the Unity will join our effort to forward true human interests in a controlled and secure manner, we must always expect the worst: that the terrorists who committed indelible treacherous crimes in the past are out there, flourishing, and that they may once again seek to impose their cruelty upon us and our posterity! Workers, soldiers, technicians: Always assume that enemies could show up at any moment! Always be ready to defend your vaults with boundless trust in Chairman Yang! ALWAYS REMAIN VIGILANT!

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  18. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    [​IMG]

It's finally M.Y. 2120 which unlocks the faction power graph! A.I. University is in the lead and Grimgravy's Peacekeepers are top dog in tech. This makes me suspect Gravy must've met the good provost and made some grubby deals. Absinthe is dominating in military, which is not surprising since he plays the Spartans. Hopefully he has not yet released rape-rovers! Usury seems to be hoarding his wealth. Slow expansion from him as well, which would correlate with shoutbox tales of pursuing a former first strategy.

^ Top  
  19. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Gold

Requesting file “Fiscal Year 2120 Results Review Meeting.mmf” from:

MorganLinks/MorganIndustries/Secure/CorpArchives/ExecBoard/Recordings/AnnualReview/

Authorization check… Level King identified, access granted.

Morgan Media Player initializing, playback beginning….

[​IMG]

Morgan: I expected better.

[10 second silence mixed with occasional grunting]

Morgan: I see no one is willing to take responsibility for the obvious shortcomings?

Johnson: I believe our organization has performed optimally given the circumstances…

Morgan: Optimally? These are rookie numbers! I expect revenue growth or an increase in profitability. The target was 12 billion credits annually of pure unburdened with taxes profit. We have what, 9,07 billion?

Geldstein: Mr. Morgan, please, consider our consumer base. There is only so much we can earn on domestic consumption alone. We need to expand our reach to new untapped markets. Markets beyond the…

Dixon: ‘ere you go again with your darn risky bean-counter ideas. We don’t know what’s out there beyond them hills, plains, seas, 'ungus or whateveh this Planet has. Careful exploration is necessary to protect our land and property.

Morgan: Exploration is not on the agenda of this meeting gentlemen, so do not waste my time as time is money. Unless you forgot that between all the underachieving that has been going on lately. I want ideas.

Umglik: Project Columbus?

Morgan: I didn't read the proposal yet. I'll check it later.

Geldstein: What about Project Atlas?

Morgan: Overkill, but who knows. I'll let you know in a week.

Zedong: We should expand the consumer base, incorporate into our mid-term and long-term corporate plans reproductive incentives. Do market research, find out why the people aren’t breeding.

Johnson: I believe one does not need to be Mr. Umglik or Mr. Morgan himself to know why the consumer base is so low. Apart from the penal labor working near the monoliths, where women seem to get knocked up all the damn time, people seem to be working too much to breed.

Zedong: They work as much as they managed to negotiate; they should have gotten better negotiating positions before applying.

Morgan: I want solutions. Actual well defined concrete solutions, not musings and ifs.

Umglik: I propose extensive terraforming, particularly around the New Mississippi's river banks. There is also the possibility to repurpose the old sequences from AgroGene that I borrowed when leaving it for the Unity Project.

Zedong: Social policy change is a better and cheaper idea; we should provide social benefits to employees who do their reproductive duty.

Dixon: Son, did you just say the s-word?

Johnson: It sounded like it.

Morgan: That would go against the spirit and values of this fine organization we have just started building. We should incentivize employee performance first, with bonuses and perks that coincidentally happen to increase the reproduction rates of our employees. Mr. Zedong, find us a way to achieve that. I want a proposal by next month.

Zedong: I will work on it Mr. Morgan.

Morgan: Speaking of production, the manufacturing capability figures are not very impressive.

Umglik: I am very close to a breakthrough with the monoliths, I just need…

Morgan: I am done with the reverse engineering project Mr. Umglik, consider the Midas project cancelled. You had years and you still know nothing on how it does the matter disassembly. Find me a more conventional solution to the raw material shortage.

[brief silence, grunting]

Umglik: I will see what we can dig up, but this will be extremely difficult. Short of a breakthrough or enough formers and staff to strip mine some sectors.

Morgan: Mann, you have been awfully quiet. However I see that the number of incidents regarding unauthorized use of our IT assets is increasing.

Mann: More terminals mean more users. Users are sometimes naive and forget that Corporate Cybernetics is always watching from a distance. Especially the kids.

Zedong: Yes, I was looking at the court and inmate statistics earlier today. Almost 7% of our debtor prisoners are teens with debts accrued from sentences related to cybernetics offences.

Morgan: Surely we could use them somehow for some innovative endeavours.

Mann: I have a proposal regarding that to show to Mr. Zedong and Mr. Dixon. We could, as they say, polish it. Turn it into something practical and feasible. Then, if there is consensus, we would present the project concept to you and the estimated resources.

Morgan: Quite cryptic but if you do not have any specifics yet than at least you do not waste my time. In any case gentlemen, this meeting is over. We’ll go over current affairs during the conference call next week.

Show Spoiler

No sign of anyone yet, quietly jewing in fourth place right behind SPARTAAAAA and ahead of the Hive. Wondering what the Peacekeepers did to be so far ahead, but at this stage tech from pods, lucky nutrients or meeting another faction are possible explanations.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Show Spoiler
    Shit! The Green Fairy just built a base with three! (3) bloody nutrient resources! How fucked am I? More than I'd like, that's for sure!

^ Top  
  21. Usury Arcane

Usury
    music (open)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

public service announcement (open)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)