Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Multiplay Alpha Centauri - Binary Dawn - Game 3

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
QPjghsV.png

Gentlemen, ITZ time for another round of SMAC! Just as in the previous game and the one before that we are using a tweaked version of Usury's Binary Dawn mod, itself a modification of Yitzi's Unofficial SMAX Patch 3.5. This time Isles of the Deep have been pushed back to Centauri Meditation and every faction starts with a free former. We play on Usury's brand new MapOfTricknology, modeled after good old Yuge Map of Planet. The haxxy granola jungle has been redistributed in small patches across the continents and a couple of landmarks have been switched around. We are doing random placements, so we might end up with some hilarious results. Without further ado:

8JWeEQz.png

1. Be a bro.
2. Do not be faget.
3. Do not reload the save multiple times, or load game in scenario editor.
4. Do not conduct diplomacy with players before meeting them in-game.
5. Do not use colony pods to increase a base beyond its maximum population limit.
6. Do not use exploits to hurry production at reduced costs, or build something that could not directly be built.
7. Do not upgrade crawlers to more expensive designs before adding them to Secret Project production.
8. Do not make social engineering changes and then change back in the same turn.
9. Do not connect multiple artifacts to the same network node (supposedly possible if you rename the base).
10. Do not start a terraforming task in one square, cancel it, and then finish it as part of combat terraforming.
11. Do not perform aggression against a player and complete pending negotiations with him in the same turn.
12. Reverse-engineering is allowed (making new designs utilizing stuff from a captured unit even though you lack the tech).
13. Exception to the above! Do not reverse-engineer clean reactors from the initial scouts. Haraam!
14. Upgrading units through workshop so that they can move the same turn IS allowed.
15. When you probe someone, you do not have to pick harshest response or tell anyone what you did.
I6. Planetary Council votes must be shared with all players because votes are not displayed in PBEM.
17. Never RETIRE default designs in the workshop, this can delete those units for other players as well.

bMV0gYB.png

FACTIONS AND TURN ORDER:

Lord's Believers - Usury
Gaia's Stepdaughters - agentorange
Peacekeeping Command - Grimgravy

Spartan Federation - Absinthe
Human Hive - Kalin
Morgan Industries - Hellraiser
University of Planet - A.I.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Where is downloadan of the newest tricknologically advanced version of the mod with the pushed back isles?

Also why the isles got pushed back? Did I miss something after I got anally raped by spartan monster cock lazors?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Usury should make it available soon I reckon, went ahead and posted thread anyway because I'm itching to play! The early isles make it very easy to mass-harvest sea pods and score artifacts (transport units that don't get hassled by wildlife), helped Gaia get a yuge advantage last game. Of course anyone can build them and use the strategy, but now you have to specialize a bit more to unlock them, plus they were originally unlocked by Meditation anyway.

I think I really need to get into SMAC

How do I start? Is there a good wiki/guide somewhere?

Also is Usury mod a balance mod or just bugfixing n shit?

Absinthe

Arcane
I think I really need to get into SMAC

How do I start? Is there a good wiki/guide somewhere?
Guide: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=91
Wiki: http://alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Main_Page

Also is Usury mod a balance mod or just bugfixing n shit?
It's a balance mod. The bugfixing patches are scient and yitzi's. Kyrub's AI enhancement patch is most popular for SMAC and yitzi's is most popular for SMAX. People also install PRACX on top of them to fix resolution problems.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Command

C3pH77p.png

Sheng-Ji Yang surveyed the uniformed officers before him, making a point of looking each one directly in the eye. Eagerness. Devotion. Fear. No sign of treachery just yet. His own expression remained a mask of stoic calmness, carefully cultivated throughout a life of discipline. They were hand-picked for their loyalty - not to the mission as such, but to him personally as Chief of Security. Aboard the U.N.S. Unity they had obeyed him without question as he declared Martial Law in the timely absence of Captain Garland. Neither flinching nor complaining, they had dutifully equipped their electric truncheons, roughly herding the awakened crew from their cryogenic cells into the landing pod. They were reliable, for now, and in the wake of their successful Planetfall they were in effect his new cadres, the first custodians of his planned utopia.

"On his own, man is an inherently selfish creature", he began, carefully leveling each word. "You witnessed it first-hand; the chaos of individualism bursting forth as social order disintegrated, the animal impulse of self-preservation laid bare in its full degeneracy. You remained calm, because you are hardened by correct training. You understand the need for control. The crew do not. Like children they mean well, but left to roam free they will simply repeat the mistakes of Earth. Chiron is harsh, and we may be the last remnant of humanity: for our mission to succeed, selfishness must give way to the common good of man. Thus, we must guide our brethren to embrace the simplicity and purity of True Unity: one race, one goal, one people to move forward to fulfill our destiny."

"We will maintain the protective custody", he continued matter-of-factly. "Our supplies are adequate. No one is to speak, no one is to move. If our brethren are to do their duty as ardent citizens they must first acquire the correct outlook on the mutiny and the chain-of-command. Take them one-by-one and educate them. Explain to them the legality of our actions. Correct faulty recollections. They are bound to have many. Instruct them, as I taught you, in the proper norms of thinking and practice."

"Yes sir!" Kim exclaimed. "And if they resist?"

"Then you make an example of the first to disobey. Lethal force is permissible. For the rest, be gentle. Particularly with the women. We need every womb intact to populate this land. Begin with the agricultural, medical and technical staff. Employ persuasion aimed at reasoning with and admonishing them. For the most stubborn, consult Doctor Shimoda for corrective psychotherapy. Any questions? Good. You are my executives. Execute!"

"SIR!"

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Auferstanden Aus Ruinen

MBBWmCO.png

From the Hive to Fecundity Tower the People rejoiced as one on all levels in heartfelt celebration of our beloved Executive Officer Sheng-Ji Yang for his decision to lift the Martial Law imposed aboard the U.N.S. Unity in the tumultuous Year 0. The Executive Officer spoke at length on the subject of the Mutiny and stressed the importance of remembering and honouring his true friend Captain Garland, whose foul murder by terrorists is a crime yet to be avenged. Only Executive Officer Yang, as Garland's Second-in-Command, was fit and indeed lawfully eligible to lead us through our ordeals to safety in our underground utopia! Having now secured for us a sustainable method of living, united the people as one and fixed for us the proper standard for continuous development, our first civil government is at long last ready to shoulder the burden of Planetary leadership as detailed by the Charter -- and of course, whom could be more qualified to lead us than Sheng-Ji Yang himself, without whom Humanity would assuredly have perished in fiery deaths among the stars?

Executive Officer Sheng-Ji Yang was thus inaugurated as perpetual Chairman of the People and Marshal of Security in a beautiful ceremony of true social harmony. Much to the delight of the People, he was there personally congratulated by the finest representatives of our new generation of Planetborn Pioneers, themselves owing their very lives to the proactive Chairman's sound command, for you will recall that in Year 1 many women still suffered from critical inhibitors to true industriousness and selfless devotion imposed by 22nd century Earth academia and foolishly resisted the notion of child-bearing. Rebuked by our Splendid Leader's progressive "Four-Child Policy" they reflected maturely and corrected their thinking, and none could be more proud today than these mothers, made evident indeed by the many tears which were shed by spectating parents as our Hope of the Future collectively bowed and exclaimed: "Thank you Chairman Yang, for giving us the gift of life!"

Touched by this completely spontaneous display of filial devotion our Dear Leader granted four top-performing Pioneers of Progress the exceedingly rare privilege of accompanying him on a tour to the surface, spectating the brand-new NUTRISOY agri-farm complex, not to mention seeing for the first time - through protective glass - the beautiful shining light of the twin suns. Commenting on the great honour, Mingzhu Li (7) remarked she could barely remember the Centauri suns, for she was captivated solely by the brilliant rays of the Sun of Enlightenment by her side, Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang!

Popped a couple of Unity pods, found minerals and got measly 25 credits out of one within base radius, kind of a bummer that since I was hoping for a nutrient resource. Ah well, could've been worms. Guess I will stockpile the credits for now, can come in handy for social engineering since energy does not come cheap with -2 economy. No sight of others as of yet.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Hive anthem

nWJwJiZ.png

WARMLY LOVE THE PEOPLE THROUGH ENLIGHTENED SHENG-JI YANGISM

It is a self-evident fact of life that man holds a special position in the world due to his creativity and consciousness. Once amplified through Unity, these two characteristics allow man to achieve true enlightenment, arming him in turn with the ability to throw off the fetters of nature and put everything at his service. Through harmonious ideological integrity we thus approach the world not fatalistically but evolutionary, not passively but actively, and as we toil together, we reshape Planet not blindly but always purposefully and consciously. This is the essence of Sheng-Ji Yangism, the precious fruit of Chairman Yang's profound ideological and theoretical activities, the most brilliant of his achievements. Man, the social being, is the Dominator of the universe; everything in the world has value only when it serves man. Approaching the world through Sheng-Ji Yangism is the absolutely correct viewpoint, the height of human affection!

In this Sixteenth Year of the New Era of Man, the industrious zeal and inexhaustible creative power of our enlightened Unity have been given full play: agriculture is booming as a result of deep ploughing techniques, advanced rovers have been prototyped and our cognitive elite have at long last developed a working framework for a truly planned economy! In time, the unstoppable will of man will completely reshape Planet in our image. We will venture into space once more, and populate the surface of Chiron to breathe freely under the Centauri Suns.

IOQ8PGS.png

Of course, for this glorious future to materialize we must all strive to undauntedly preserve the faith and principle of our mission! Always remain on your guard against seditious elements, both from within and without. While it is the greatest wish of our beloved Chairman that potential survivors from the Unity will join our effort to forward true human interests in a controlled and secure manner, we must always expect the worst: that the terrorists who committed indelible treacherous crimes in the past are out there, flourishing, and that they may once again seek to impose their cruelty upon us and our posterity! Workers, soldiers, technicians: Always assume that enemies could show up at any moment! Always be ready to defend your vaults with boundless trust in Chairman Yang! ALWAYS REMAIN VIGILANT!

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
S1wawgY.png

It's finally M.Y. 2120 which unlocks the faction power graph! A.I. University is in the lead and Grimgravy's Peacekeepers are top dog in tech. This makes me suspect Gravy must've met the good provost and made some grubby deals. Absinthe is dominating in military, which is not surprising since he plays the Spartans. Hopefully he has not yet released rape-rovers! Usury seems to be hoarding his wealth. Slow expansion from him as well, which would correlate with shoutbox tales of pursuing a former first strategy.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Gold

Requesting file “Fiscal Year 2120 Results Review Meeting.mmf” from:

MorganLinks/MorganIndustries/Secure/CorpArchives/ExecBoard/Recordings/AnnualReview/

Authorization check… Level King identified, access granted.

Morgan Media Player initializing, playback beginning….

d0AHFHX.png

Morgan: I expected better.

[10 second silence mixed with occasional grunting]

Morgan: I see no one is willing to take responsibility for the obvious shortcomings?

Johnson: I believe our organization has performed optimally given the circumstances…

Morgan: Optimally? These are rookie numbers! I expect revenue growth or an increase in profitability. The target was 12 billion credits annually of pure unburdened with taxes profit. We have what, 9,07 billion?

Geldstein: Mr. Morgan, please, consider our consumer base. There is only so much we can earn on domestic consumption alone. We need to expand our reach to new untapped markets. Markets beyond the…

Dixon: ‘ere you go again with your darn risky bean-counter ideas. We don’t know what’s out there beyond them hills, plains, seas, 'ungus or whateveh this Planet has. Careful exploration is necessary to protect our land and property.

Morgan: Exploration is not on the agenda of this meeting gentlemen, so do not waste my time as time is money. Unless you forgot that between all the underachieving that has been going on lately. I want ideas.

Umglik: Project Columbus?

Morgan: I didn't read the proposal yet. I'll check it later.

Geldstein: What about Project Atlas?

Morgan: Overkill, but who knows. I'll let you know in a week.

Zedong: We should expand the consumer base, incorporate into our mid-term and long-term corporate plans reproductive incentives. Do market research, find out why the people aren’t breeding.

Johnson: I believe one does not need to be Mr. Umglik or Mr. Morgan himself to know why the consumer base is so low. Apart from the penal labor working near the monoliths, where women seem to get knocked up all the damn time, people seem to be working too much to breed.

Zedong: They work as much as they managed to negotiate; they should have gotten better negotiating positions before applying.

Morgan: I want solutions. Actual well defined concrete solutions, not musings and ifs.

Umglik: I propose extensive terraforming, particularly around the New Mississippi's river banks. There is also the possibility to repurpose the old sequences from AgroGene that I borrowed when leaving it for the Unity Project.

Zedong: Social policy change is a better and cheaper idea; we should provide social benefits to employees who do their reproductive duty.

Dixon: Son, did you just say the s-word?

Johnson: It sounded like it.

Morgan: That would go against the spirit and values of this fine organization we have just started building. We should incentivize employee performance first, with bonuses and perks that coincidentally happen to increase the reproduction rates of our employees. Mr. Zedong, find us a way to achieve that. I want a proposal by next month.

Zedong: I will work on it Mr. Morgan.

Morgan: Speaking of production, the manufacturing capability figures are not very impressive.

Umglik: I am very close to a breakthrough with the monoliths, I just need…

Morgan: I am done with the reverse engineering project Mr. Umglik, consider the Midas project cancelled. You had years and you still know nothing on how it does the matter disassembly. Find me a more conventional solution to the raw material shortage.

[brief silence, grunting]

Umglik: I will see what we can dig up, but this will be extremely difficult. Short of a breakthrough or enough formers and staff to strip mine some sectors.

Morgan: Mann, you have been awfully quiet. However I see that the number of incidents regarding unauthorized use of our IT assets is increasing.

Mann: More terminals mean more users. Users are sometimes naive and forget that Corporate Cybernetics is always watching from a distance. Especially the kids.

Zedong: Yes, I was looking at the court and inmate statistics earlier today. Almost 7% of our debtor prisoners are teens with debts accrued from sentences related to cybernetics offences.

Morgan: Surely we could use them somehow for some innovative endeavours.

Mann: I have a proposal regarding that to show to Mr. Zedong and Mr. Dixon. We could, as they say, polish it. Turn it into something practical and feasible. Then, if there is consensus, we would present the project concept to you and the estimated resources.

Morgan: Quite cryptic but if you do not have any specifics yet than at least you do not waste my time. In any case gentlemen, this meeting is over. We’ll go over current affairs during the conference call next week.

No sign of anyone yet, quietly jewing in fourth place right behind SPARTAAAAA and ahead of the Hive. Wondering what the Peacekeepers did to be so far ahead, but at this stage tech from pods, lucky nutrients or meeting another faction are possible explanations.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Can the mission be salvaged? Perhaps. Perhaps not. It is heartening that we are not the only survivors of the calamity that befell the Unity, but will the other survivors embrace the mission or their own desires? All our neighbors have accepted peace and have been willing to trade, but will that last? Santiago has recovered several strange objects and just established a base much closer to our territory than I would like. Not that I can fault her, given the extreme abundance of resources in the vicinity. Would that we could have gotten there first! I worry about the close borders and constraints on our own expansion. Thankfully there are still some prime areas to settle. I pray that peace will reign, but have green-lit and expedited plans to bolster our military just in case. Of course, should Santiago join the mission fully, we would be well situated to enforce the charter across Chiron. I am hopeful, but time will tell!

Pravin Lal, personal log

Shit! The Green Fairy just built a base with three! (3) bloody nutrient resources! How fucked am I? More than I'd like, that's for sure!

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
JKLdwv3.png

Men and women of all ages wept with pride as Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang officiated the grand celebration of our Thirtieth Year on Chiron! After several brilliant departmental progress reports, our Stalwart Leader delivered a moving speech on Mankind's Boundless Path, sure to be studied in-depth by Planetborn cadres for centuries to come. After a spontaneous 3-minute long applause from the 3,000 attending deputies, our beloved Chairman concluded the ceremony with a simultaneous founding of 3 new bases, welcoming Undermountain, Song of the Caverns and Caves of Qud into the warm embrace of our utopian Unity.

The unprecedented tripartite deployment was ardently carried out by the Planetary Colonization Agency utilizing new and updated Hive-Tek 3000 colony pods, specifically designed to alleviate the natural discomfort felt by Planetborn Hive-Dwellers in regards to leaving the safety of their vaults. These tracked wonder-vehicles, devoid of windows and other pointless distractions, feature their very own work stations so passengers can put their minds at ease for the duration of relocation. Foreman Liang of Pipework Squad #528 remarked: "Our transition from base to base-site was seamless! We huddled together and toiled in peaceful isolation, never once glimpsing the surface. Just like home, in other words!"

hyNTFG8.png

Naturally, remnants of so-called "conventional wisdom" from the Age of Ignorance might suggest that rampant expansion would put a dent in nutrient supply. Such foolish notions are correctly discarded in the rubbish-chute of history! Ever since Year Eighteen, Sheng-Ji Yangist Thought on Agricultural Dynamics of Growth inspire agri-complexes to farm boldly and scientifically in the face of every challenge, yielding ever-increasing bountiful harvests of gengineered xeno-fruits and fungal mass to the utmost delight of the people! Mothers cluck their tongues as they lay out feasts upon feasts on the tables, inviting all the people to join! Children eat their full, workers regain their strength and old men of ripe age say while emptying their mugs of Unity Gin in toasts to the Chairman's policy: "Aah! Life is good! And in my base, it's bumper harvest!"

LJjYxC1.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
Morganlinks Newsfeed, 30th of September, Q3 Fiscal Year 2130

Prosperity built on sacrifices

Jeb Clayton was a a great man. A father, a husband and most of all a Junior Manager Sergeant in the Morgan Corporate Premises Protection Scout Division. He lead his men to near victory fighting the dreaded xenopests, the mindworms of Chiron. He died just an inch away from victory over the psionic vermin as did the brave men and women under him. They all hoped to retrieve vital gear from the Unity pod, what they found instead was the dreadful creatures plaguing planet. They almost got the boil, but their enormous sacrifice and ferocity was not enough.

dlJhvCM.png

At the Jeb Clayton Memorial Fund we believe in charity, a potent force of good that sends credits to those in need via our trustworthy and honest hands. Those in need are the families of those fallen in the line of duty. Children left with deceased parents lost during law enforcement contracting jobs. Spouses of Premises Protection specialists and line managers such as the widow of Jeb Clayton. Even those serving time and paying off their debt to society, as part of the convict troops companies, have families that can lose their convicted loved ones during a colony convoy ambush or mindworm boil attack on our great cities, when the controops pay their debts in blood.

Only we guarantee that such families will in fact receive the voluntary aid they need, thanks to the power of pure charity. Donate today, think of the poor children and be generous to bring some smile to those that lost loved ones during service to us all and the faction.

Donate as much as possible and make their pain go away with the Jeb Clayton Memorial Fund.

RgOaODO.png

Grandpa's old newspapers littering your habicube waiting to help in that imagined crisis that never comes? Grandma's dead body rotting on the easyrest™ bedslab due to high funeral service fees? Maybe found some salvage or interesting rocks out in the fungal fields? Or you killed someone in self-defence at the Wakanda Projects, looted their body and wanted to cash out? Then come on over to the local Recyclotron™ exchange point where our trusty Morgan Life Support Solutions assistants have been giving credits to people like you, for any kind of strange stuff you might have lying around, for over a decade.

Why fall victim to the dangerous psychological conditions known as hoarding or personal attachment? Anything that cannot be consumed is a waste of your precious living space, not to mention the economic stagnation it causes. Even the spacious apartments of the magnificent Prosperia Suites suffer aesthetically as does their real estate price, due to clutter. Get rid off stuff, get credits instead, credits are all you need! Don't waste time, time is credits! Go to the Recyclotron™ exchange point, get swag for waste!

Forget about pawnshops or street merchants, Morgan Life Support Solutions has the best deals and we're buying anything wholesale, in bulk, en masse and in any quantity from grams to tons*. We're not picky** and neither should you be when credits are on the line! Visit us today! We're available in Morgan Industries, Morgan Austin Estates, Korwin Condominiums and Morgan ITZFOODZ Labs. Coming to other cities near you in the near future! Check us out at recyclotron.morg!

*Compensation varies by type of submitted material.
**Morgan Life Support Solutions reserves the right to deny compensation after material submission if the material is discovered to have been unlawfully obtained from another Morgan Industries Holding entity.

Lost scouts while popping pods, communist native lifeforms will pay. Also GG beat me to the first recycling tanks (or other facility) by 5 turns.

Not much else happening that I can reveal.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
JU98Fo4.png

"Attention citizens! It is now Six-twenty-five! You are warned to stand by for an important announcement at Six-thirty! This is news of the highest importance. Six-thirty!"

The old man groaned and rolled out of his bunk, his body stiff and aching with pain. He was long since convinced the administration purposely timed announcements to be as disruptive as possible. One could not simply sleep through them; it was commonly understood that everyone, drone and talent, should receive every PSA standing at full attention. After coughing up a particularly difficult clump of sticky phlegm, he squinted his eyes to get his bearings, hands fumbling habitually for the glasses he had neither worn nor seen in years. The poorly-lit tunnel was noticeably filthy, stained by rubbish, human waste and old-fashioned decay. Actual sleeping units would have constituted wasteful extravagance for members of his current work-grade, a veritable crime against industry! Instead, the Planning Department had wisely opted to line the corridors of his Sub-Sector with rows upon rows of sleeping bunks, an arrangement subsequently enhanced to perfection with a rotational sleeping shift schedule.

Looking around, he registered several gaunt shapes moving about in the tunnel. Most simply ignored him, a few stared back with open malevolence. The vast majority were Planetborn. As an Earther in his mid-sixties he was little more than a greying anomaly begging correction. Sometimes he feared one of the more hostile types would eventually subject him to some "work-related accident", either out of sheer malice or to claim his "goody spot" in assembly where the machinery would generate just the right amount of heat to allow him some precious respite from his rheumatism. Aside from Unity Gin, it was his last pitiful enjoyment in the wretched existence in Work-Hall 4, Sub-Sector 2, Sector A, Level 17 in the Human Hive.

"ATTENTION CITIZENS!" The harsh voice barked again, drones and low-teks instinctively shuffling into lines. "Our beloved Marshal has called on Security to uphold the safeguarding of the vaults by achieving strengthened Unity-building among the armed forces! Loyalty to the Mission is "the soul and lifeblood" of Humanity, said our Great Leader, stressing that the primary task to enhance Unity-building is to ensure the absoluteness of loyalty in face of any obstacle. People, not technology, win wars and overcome difficulties, people, not equipment, are the true source of military might!"

The announcement carried on for several minutes in a similar vein, conveying precious little of actual substance. Glancing to his side, the old man noticed with a sinking feeling how Oleg, a bald and brutish drone from his Work-Hall, shed genuine tears of pride and devotion. "I never asked for this", he whispered under his breath, barely resisting the impulse to shake his head.

Back on Earth, he had entered cryo-sleep full of hope and excitement. Next thing he knew, Yang and his brutes were in charge and one long nightmare had followed. True, he had not always been down in the pits with these low-teks and unwashed drones. In the wake of Planetfall, he had enjoyed a certain measure of respect. That is, until he had thought it wise to try to "change things". Troubled by the entire concept of living underground, which in conjunction with inferior diet so obviously constituted serious health risks, he had naively voiced his concerns to his superiors. He had been both shocked and appalled by their attitude.

Doctor Shimoda, for example, had not simply considered a reduced life expectancy among workers to be an acceptable cost of industry; had found it to be a desirable goal in itself! "How would an elderly drone benefit humanity?" the doctor had mused, completely oblivious to the moral dimension. Soon after, his colleagues had all turned on him, frothing at the mouth and denouncing him for undermining the "Unity of the Mission". He had suffered a steady series of demotions ever since, going from one punishingly strenuous assignment to the next, each one spiraling him ever deeper into disgrace, ever deeper into the abyss of the Hive's tunnel network.

With the end of the announcement, the old man joined the steady stream of people flowing towards the communal feeding bay. As it opened before him, he could not help but glance at the posters adorning its walls, all of them depicting grotesquely obese golden babies feasting in abundance on food items that were never served. Suddenly, a strange sensation rippled through the crowd. The constant pushing and prodding that would normally have carried him towards the nutri-gruel dispensers dissipated and the workers in front of him frantically parted way, leaving him, for the first time in years, an actually decent amount of personal space. He did not have much time to relish it. As he gazed up at the approaching men in their polished boots and pitch black combat armour his confusion rapidly gave way to cold terror.

SECURITY!

"You!" yelled the man in charge, pointing an electroshock truncheon in his direction. "Yes. You! Stand still, citizen!"

He stumbled feebly, desperately searching for the right words. "M-my work quotas, they're in order si-"

"SHUT UP, CITIZEN!" the officer spat with contempt and slammed his truncheon into the old man's gut, releasing a burst of electricity for good measure. The impact was considerable and he collapsed in a heap on the floor, unwittingly soiling himself. As he wheezed and struggled to regain his senses, two grunts were already fast upon him, pinning his arms behind his back and jamming some sort of needle device into his exposed flesh. Routine motions, he realized. They had probably done it a thousand times.

"DNA scan checks out, sir!" said the grunt on his right, prompting the officer to lean into his Hive-Tech wrist-pad.

"Subject in custody, we're bringing him in. Over!"

As they dragged him through unfamiliar tunnels and elevators, citizens of all work-grades naturally floated out of their way, always sure to avoid their gazes. The sole exception, a little boy around four or five, pointed at him and laughed out loud, gleefully managing to exclaim "CRIMINAL!" before his flustered mother could catch him and drag him aside for correction. He wondered if they were about to purge him. He was certainly old enough to be considered a liability, and he had heard talk of recycling the dead and infirm, extracting critical compounds and nutritious bio-mass for the good of the people. The citizen's final duty, Yang had called it, completely out in the open, the ultimate testament to Unity, de-linked from crippling old-world ethics. He shuddered at the thought.

Finally the tunnel narrowed into a set of stone stairs. The party descended and stopped before a heavy metal security door. The two grunts clicked their heels and took positions on either side while the officer touched his palm upon a bio-scanner. After a slight pause there was a quiet "click" and the door hissed open, the officer simply motioning for him to enter alone. Cold fear washed over him again and nearly paralyzed him, but he somehow managed to limp through, all while expecting the worst. The room that greeted him, however, was so unexpectedly different that he could barely process the contrast. Clean, well-lit and spacious, it was tastefully decorated. A central table dominated the view, chiseled out of solid rock and ornate with dragon engravings. The craftsmanship, he found, was exquisite; it must have taken years, if not decades of hard toil.

"Bruce!" A familiar voice called out towards him. "Robert Bruce Hoadley."

As he turned, he wondered if he had finally gone completely mad. The figure at his side stood as perfectly composed as in the vid-casts and holo-reels. His uniform was immaculate, and he did not look a day older than when he had last seen him. He, by contrast, was soiled and filthy, old and broken, and although his predicament was entirely the making of the man before him, he could not contain the burning shame of appearing before him in such a wretched state.

"I would have seen you sooner, but I have been quite preoccupied." Yang's voice was deceptively soft. His dark, round eyes anything but. The Chairman studied him intensely before continuing. "The truth is, the people have need of you. Need of your expertise. You do want to contribute to the Unity to the fullest of your abilities, do you not?"

He licked his lips nervously. In the past, he had fantasized over and over again of a moment just like this, being alone in a room with the demon! He had exacted vengeance upon the tyrant a hundred times, full of determination, wielding strength with righteous fury. Now, all he could do was to look down and stutter submissively.

"Of, of course, y-yes, yes Chairman!"

"Good man. Due to unexpected circumstances surrounding our landing, heavy industrialization has always taken precedence over conventional terraforming protocols." As Yang spoke, he activated a holographic display above the table detailing faction territory, transportation networks and agri-farms. There were a whole seven bases, he realized, as opposed to the five officially announced in the newscasts. There was also an unfamiliar monolith symbol, code perhaps for something classified.

"As you can see, our territory is still devoid of large-scale hybrid forestation. The other factions likely enjoy a serious advantage, possibly since Planetfall. I cannot tolerate further postponement. We do possess a number of Unity pods of intact Earth flora, but we have only a handful educated botanists. You were a Forestry Officer set to work under Deirdre Skye. You will use your abilities to forest Hexin Sector, both to supplement mining and bolster defense. Bottom line: perform well, and you will be rewarded. Upper-level quarters. Companionship. Hot showers", Yang added pointedly. "Perhaps, if you truly justify your existence, even longevity treatments. Ah. But there is one lingering matter. I believe you had some "ethical" concerns...?"

"N-no, no! Chairman, I... I have boundless trust in your leadership!"

Yang smiled slightly and simply nodded. "Then our business is concluded, for now."

"Vice-Marshal Kim!" he said into a seemingly invisible intercom. "Escort our good friend Doctor Hoadley to his new quarters."

The officer walked into the room and snapped to attention. "Yes Marshal."

"Oh, and Kim? A bit more gently this time."

"Yes Marshal! This way, Doctor."

As the pair left his sight, Yang was already planning his next moves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom