Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play - Afterfall: InAnity

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Albert Tokaj waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air.
There were saboteurs in the shelter. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years.
His warnings to the Cernel were not listenend to and now it was too late.
Far too late for now, anyway.
Albert was a psychiatrist for fourteen years.
When he was young he watched the shelters and he said to dad "I want to be in the shelter daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY SABOTEURS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped.
But now in the shelter called Glory he knew there were saboteurs.
"This is Karolina" the radio crackered. "You must fight the saboteur!"
So John gotted his Raging Bull and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the chimeras
"I will shoot at him" said the saboteur and he fired the super powerful gun.
Albert shotted at him and tried to blew him up.
But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the saboteur" he shouted
The radio said "No, Albert. You are the saboteur"
And then Albert was the saboteur.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hmmm. Not as bad as I feared ("It was all a dream" was my fear) but pretty inane nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, this whole multiple personality thing, PC driven to madness *idea* for a post-apocalyptic game is great. Imagine what you could do with it, the many mindfucks available, as long as you do it well.

This game, it just...rambles. Too many ideas instead of too few, and lot of them poorly realized. Dead shame, imagine this setting, the idea for this plot, and then executed in a deep RPG instead.

Great LP, Darth, thanks. btw, I asked the dude who did the NMA review (should be up tomorrow) about the guns, and his weapons didn't reset every level, only one two occasions. Might be a bug?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Don't get me wrong, this whole multiple personality thing, PC driven to madness *idea* for a post-apocalyptic game is great. Imagine what you could do with it, the many mindfucks available, as long as you do it well.

Yup. I had the same thoughts after playing this when I watched the movie 'Pandorum'. Really cool premise, multiple possible mindfucks, but there's no focus, and it all just ends up with generic orc shooting action.

Great LP, Darth, thanks. btw, I asked the dude who did the NMA review (should be up tomorrow) about the guns, and his weapons didn't reset every level, only one two occasions. Might be a bug?

I'm suspecting bug. Maybe it's an issue with the piratey version I've played, too, but I still haven't even installed the original potato version. Maybe I should, perhaps it makes more sense, R00fles! But I don't think I can be bothered finishing this game for the third time.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Potato version eh? According to our reviewer, they translated the Polish script back from the original English, which is fine, only the translation is shoddy and keeps in a lot of English idioms. So...it's even worse?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
:salute:

So... the game rambles all the way through, and ends in a Jimbob comic? o_O

DQkxlh.jpg

f9qvzp.png
Did you come to reclaim what is yours? We have a lot to DISCUSS!

DjHs4.jpg
I never asked you for anything!I never asked for this!

f9qvzp.png
You might have been saying you want to avoid combat, but it was all a facade.

nNrvoh.jpg

f9qvzp.png
All you really wanted was another dungeon crawler with numbers. For you, there is no other purpose in raising them than to raise them. Not overcoming harder encounters and getting further into the game, not, god forbid, engage in some stupid dick-measuring contests, no - just watching them go up, go up, go up, go up forever.

You even asked me to shit on your chest FFS

s7c3ah.jpg

Why do you lie?

Since you're so damn stubborn and don't want to shit on me...

icDyBh.jpg

...I guess I will just shit on you.

prosperhead.gif

anus_pounder

Arcane
CappenVarra makes a strong early contender for post of 2012. :lol: :lol:

Also, :bro: to Rabbit Roxor for LPing this game. I suspected this might be what the ending was like. I dunno, I'm a sucker for endings like this, so I like it.

EDIT : But I have a serious question, though. Surprise attack or not, How the fuck did Tokaj manage to kill all those people, go outside the shelter, blow the shit out of monsters and cannibals and make it to the fist ? Isn't he just some potato psychiatrist ?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Maybe the whole 'Glory' shelter really is just some sort of training for EXTREME people like Tokaj. Seeing how the information you get with 'Fist' being on "the other side of the city", I guess no one would have expected the other side to be above a fake city. Since the guards are talking about some other people arriving at their front door as well, these might just be the ultimate warriors, trained to dominate the whole world in the name of potato.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"the other side of the city", I guess no one would have expected the other side to be above a fake city.

That would actually be fairly clever if it was intended.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Awesome stuff. I wonder if all that stuff actually happened. Maybe he just walked out of the shelter and went straight to the other one without any adventures. It actually makes the retarded stuff make sense unlike in FINO3.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.... Sums this LP well since as a shrink Andrzej had to open his to all insanity warp around him... They should build shrine to the God Emperor inside to avert this. Thanks for playing this for us Roxor. :salute:

kazgar

Arcane
So this got greenlit on steam and is now available, with a extended edition.
(currently 25% off as well)

From wikipedia:

The edition symbolically called "2.0" according to the developers contains a lot of improvements to the basic version of the game. The PC version is being distributed in a form of a free patch for those who already bought Afterfall: InSanity. The Xbox 360 version will include all of the improvements. One of the most important changes will be more dynamic and intuitive fight system. The protagonist of the game – Albert Tokaj – is much more deft now, both as far as his movements and attacks are concerned. Animations also underwent some changes – both in gameplay and in cutscenes. The original tutorial system has been replaced with a new one. Many new weapons have been added

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the LP, DR. I have recently played this game and while the plot twist was very predictable (I actually figured it out when Albert gets the mysterious call from the 'saboteur' right at the beginning of the game, but I have watched Fight Club too many times), I overall really enjoyed it, in a B-movie sort of way.

The highlight IMO was the second boss fight and its surroundings, which nailed Albert going insane perfectly, with his fear of light manifesting as spectres, etc. As a potato, I enjoyed the setting and mood greatly, and I even ejoyed the head-choppin' part (even if it was bad mechanically), never letting go of that fire axe. Also, the VA was hilariously bad, which helped not to treat the game too seriously (which would have killed it). Last time I had so much fun listening to bad VA was in the original Zeno Clash.

And yeah, I've played the enhanced edition. After my progress was reset the first time I started the game up, I thought saving doesn't work at all, so I just left the computer running whith the game on. :lol: Fortunately, later I figured out that it at least saves at the beginning of a chapter.

Overall: :thumbsup: I'm hoping for more games in the Afterfall universe. They may even be good, I won't mind.

And once gain thanks for the LP, Roxor. :salute:

Afterfall: Decline set in apocalyptic potatoland. :salute:

You really can't avoid Inanity in a post apocalyptic world.

EDIT: Looks like post apoc cyberpunk with Rothschild families controlling resources. Could make for some funny shit.

empath

Barely Literate
Okay, I jumped through all the hoops to sign up here just so I could praise and thank you for this fun walkthrough!

Initially I was looking for help on some of the more obtuse puzzles (adding a time limit with lots of running around and pointless clipping on railings doesn't help one's ability to think clearly :P), and as the game dragged on, and the production...um, "shortcomings" became more and more prevalent, I eventually gave up and just finished it vicariously (and with added entertainment) through your efforts. :D

So yes, thank you for playing this...promising idea that was executed less-than-perfectly, and showing us all its strengths (dat musik!!1!, this artwork!)

(and yep, I'll prolly come back in Feb 2015, just so I can give you a brofist. ;) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom