Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Al-Qadim - The Genie is real

Urbanolo

Augur
I'd brofist you, but I can't. Excellent LP.

Eyeball

Arcane
For the next part, I've some serious advice to the LPer:

Before entering the dungeon of the caliph, SAVE YOUR GAME! There are instant game over monsters down there and if you accidentally save just before running into one, your game will be lost. Seriously, do this.

mugg91

Barely Literate
Registered in this forum just to ask something

One piece of advice though: Keep multiple save games. Seriously. Do this. Not because of bugs, but because there is at least one point in the game where you can game over yourself instantly and if you saved just before that point, you have wasted your weekend.

What kind of bugs are in this game? I want to play through this game again soon and I wouldn't want to run into bugs.

I think there is at least one unwinnable bug. The person doing the let's play might not want to read on to avoid spoilers!

I think at one point in the game you have to visit your family in prison to advance the plot. While visiting, the machines would allow you to move on. But if you neglect to visit your family as soon as you can (but instead advance the plot elsewhere first, then come back for the visit part) the machines would not allow you to move but they would trigger the gameover instantly, even though you aren't sneaking or anything, you were allowed to enter to visit your family..

Another bug I ran into last time was at the end, I think there was some kind of end boss but after I defeated him there was nowhere to go and nothing was triggered...

I read there is a version 1.0 and 1.1, the latter fixing some bugs. I don't know what version I got right now..

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have the 1.1 version. I've finished the prison part with some saves as backup.

Part 7: Prison Break

Previously on Al-Qadim we've discovered that our father is one of the Nameless Masters. We must act quickly and try to find a way to talk with him.

88KOfIt.png

Time for some EXTREME MY BUSINESS responds.

7VjghyN.png

k320vl4.png

Resolve itself :lol:.

TZUMOIn.png

6T1CCZv.png

jD0cOz7.png

Let's speak to the Caliph directly.

6EqQLPV.png

ZW0gLfN.png

UYZBm7D.png

I don't want to tell about the Nameless bussiness thing with anyone right now. Especially with people who could have easily kill him after hearing this. The Vezir helper is a magician and uses some kind of lie detector. Better pretend to be stupid and just go away.

Cna8qUG.png

5YTKlcx.png

Meh, so much for a rat diplomacy. We'll need to resolve this situation in a whole diffrent manner. But right now my hands are tied. Need to think.

3nKzDSS.png

As I want to exit the palace, a stranger starts a conversation.

yhXKeIJ.png

06zEZLW.png

Sine we don't have anything else to do we agree. Let's go to the kitchen to see the preparations.

gplFqCd.png

AzCIJPV.png

nzEA9Fl.png

AX324VU.png

Enough with this honor thing! We accept the offer.

yYmcwJz.png

FBlWZDO.png

zchLi8D.png

XAnUqIn.png

Brotherhood of Freedom, hehe. Let's go to the friendly merchant who will give us the key.

nnE5lPA.png

LwyQDCu.png

Rythxqj.png

s5txawn.png

What is this cloak and dagger thing going on here ?

cE3KlEe.png

Ok, we've got finnaly the key. We return to the kitchen for the last instructions.

qrFBZJl.png

QGLVk1R.png

As soon as we move down we see a chamber full of heavy stones blocking the path. We need to do some pushing and pulling to clear our path. As we may clearly see we have found a clue about the secret door here. Good to know.

5up1Bxv.png

Glad I'm not here. Either the smell comes from some poor bastards bodies, or, knowing my luck, a monster.

zuYlGhh.png

2039-10496.jpg

A cyclops. And he didn't attack us on sight. This should be good, let's try talk with him.

dC4onmA.png

Let's try the peacful way. Although sneaking this guy probably won't be easy.

mnNy1eT.png

vPYOJ5u.png

arkSNdh.png

:lol:

After this commentary Andhaira and his new cyclop companion move up.

h93j6ZS.png

Sumia is offering more help. Much appreciated. We need to be catious and not get too close to anyone from the guards. Otherwise they will get suspicious and we'll see a game over screen.

jel6GtF.png

cXTdgGg.png

sFkskYX.png

Good news, it was worth the time. Let's go there now!

6KDi7bD.png

pd0KYtW.png

After acquiring the treasure we continue to venture through the hidden dungeon.

cf8aZlm.png

xDUiFKX.png

uIUPMTy.png

cUinN6g.png

Z0vqZNv.png

jYJP5sN.png

We need to find the green moss on the walls of this dungeon and use the attack 8 times to reveal the lever. There are some places where you need to put the big stones on it.

3YXOpKK.png

Almost there.

YeD4Djo.png

Wow, that will consume some time. Each lever opens one door of the prison. It would be unwise to open them all since we don't know what creatures lurk there.

5VGikH9.png

0.jpg

What the hell are you ?

4rOItBS.png

There is an evil wizard too! But since he didn't even lift once in his lifetime he is easy to beat. Just keep him close to yourself.

Finally !

V1DwyhB.png

Those weird robots are patrolling constantly the whole prison facility. Some of these cells are empty and we can use it to think about the next step on our journey.
It's Metal Age time !

ykDihnw.png

Yeah, just dropping by :lol:.
Time for some answers, dammit!

vgZZ1Qo.png

mIC1uOz.png

Was, what you mean by was ?

6fN96LO.png

"No praise for our work". That's a great argument for keeping the conspiracy.

xRIkKro.png

s2SnnqB.png

MUWVG1Z.png

1pgJxRm.png

Or perhaps they didn't wanted to be ignored anymore by SCO father figure and finally started acting with all their power they've accumulated ?

cNdEVxN.png

QTYVyo9.png

Good, we don't want anothe Clatu Verata Ni... incident.

yv8pbf3.png

835CdRG.png

RF1ObSl.png

:yeah:

g0igS18.png

I'm giving back the key as promised.

bAPguph.png

As we are entering the exit of the palace, there is another curious thing happening. A scroll is on the ground, just waiting to be taken.

uSak5hz.png

Why not ? Let's go there now.

OvOaziB.png

wq4JJ5y.png

ujDCzCf.png

images

bGPI9zV.png

2ko6jqa.png

That would be my first question too.

uppp2G0.png

UEXVqsR.png

cygUIWQ.png

50ZrpVF.png

4pwymtR.png

Dear diary,

I have enslaved the Caliph with the powerful magic spell.
I will make him pay for all the things he said to me when he was ruling with his free mind
I will take his women, enslave the new islands, I will
RULE THE WORLD

Sign, V.

:lol:

Seriously, who would have kept his old school blog and write about evil deeds ?

KSQKSl9.png

"You look for secret buttons...in secret places...doing secret stuff"

BzF0xJM.png

wOuCHOS.png

First the meditation chamber, next the harem. Wait, what ?

Harem-6.jpg

:bounce:

Js7SnpR.png

JerLS5a.png

43hA0mw.png

HNAlzXz.png

1K2Jv8h.png

This will provide a decent challenge. Let's unravel the evil Jaffar and after that find the Nameless Masters!

Until next time.

[To be continued...]

Part 8: Brother, Where Are Thou ?

We are now in the Vezir part of palace. After quick teleportation we sneak behind the one guard and move carefully through some columns. The guard patrolling this room won't even know we're here. We go south, there are two guards here, no way we can pass them. But wait, there is a cart here. Let's improvise !

V6mVNKB.png

2bWKdrF.png

You do that.

m6EToNb.png

magi_harem__kiss_for_me____crop_by_sntp-d5bv5qu.jpg

Unfortunatelly due to technical limitations we can't have sex romance with the girls in the harem. This is one of the main reasons why SSI went bankrupt. Anyway, let's try to focus here.

rPt3owV.png

dlq6Ooi.png

Easy enough. Besides, why would I take it with me in the first place ?

K3o5h6e.png

KyEJtvi.png

CfHADy2.png

The guards have been summoned. We need to be very careful. Not to move any object near us.

uFT7H8K.png

First, let's rob the Vezir :smug:

jJG7Wxk.png

Second, let's take My Little Diary of Evil Secrets . That's what we came here for !

u6qQs5i.png

Intelligence is his dump stat apparently :lol: . Now let's hide the key.

IdVGVJi.png

Ok, we teleport back to the main level of palace. Time to see Obdel and show him the diary.

VbkbQD6.png

xQNLKhs.png

Our curiosity is too strong. Why the old man wouldn't wait for us if it's so important for him. Time for some chamber searching. Aha!

MoNyfzh.png

Masters ? MASTERS! Fuuuu...

XWWAyWv.png

We hide and watch Obdel. Let's hear what that bastard is planning.

AqRtlXG.png

vgjehNU.png

YItNM3X.png

:x

pFDw2UG.png

L15eIdH.png

qiLlx8c.png

Where the hell is Katraz Island?

gxyW8uI.png

G3WWW25.png

ectliop.png

ZuFwpOC.png

The plot thickens. Possessed djins, double play, Catraz Island. Hell, we need to see where the barbarian is going.

X1VQxa3.png

Well, that's just great. Fortunatelly for us the genie captain knows about The Island of Al'Katraz (put the obvious reference here). Let us not wait.

Png5utz.png

Looks like we are late to the party.

eFd7BGu.png

Another new beast to slay. But now we have every sword move to our disposal. Take that you ugly green ogre!

vMFivWz.png

Wait a minute, I'm not an assassin. Hey...
He didn't gave my any choice.

KyL1qAf.png

Looks like there is some tribe war going on here. We can't do anything here - help or kill them (who would do that anyway ? )

DHlCSxh.png

Finally! Someone with a common sense.

Nbp0zOe.png

The leader had a big group of enemies but couldn't stand a chance. We see some altar nearby.

9r9vnKe.png

A part of the puzzle. Let's go to the east part of the isle.

dmKrPbN.png

ZSF6vex.png

Yeah, now that you mention, I saw another room full of your wounded men. War, war never changes.

YCHvYyb.png

7V5mvCZ.png

GoetrGA.png

HhRAiTV.png

Middle east gonna Middle East. Nothing changed.

DB3Tx0Z.png

URjyYYq.png

Good, I want to pass to another shrine.

36KnurS.png

JQLCOWW.png

I already killed her, you dumbfuck! Let us just kill the leaders and hope for the best that the wounded troops will finally stop fighting each other.

53kcWpZ.png

c8EFsTG.png

a214Im8.png

As you may predict, the last one didn't work. We need to venture another dark dungeon. Suddenly we see a bigger chamber with one eyed men.

V3e3D4e.png

Sand maggot, need to remember that one.

ew9YpSk.png

This guy is really tough and is a swordfighter. Adding two cyclops to that won't make it easier. But we won't fail, not after so many adventures!

eEzImTL.png

The green gem on the table looks familiar, isn't it ? We move further up to the chamber with some bed.

mPy2GZR.png

Ha. We find something interesting here. Plus the loot in the chest. I wonder what is cooking in the tureen...

610V7O6.png

Gaah!

qIPaLMQ.png

aLzJtfu.png

[Bluff/Lie]

oNWQeJG.png

Let's not tell our enemies of our presence too fast. Although the third option was very tempting.

bf3pKof.png

We didn't check the desk on the left.

2sNS9q0.png

So they use prisoners and drain them from their life energy. Damn mages :shakes fist:

waoJPDW.png

So our brother is really here! We need to check all the prison cells.

qwxpkn3.png

Many cells later...

Pc3ewQV.png

Our brother looks like Middle East Conan mixed with heavy metal singer. We need to speak with him.

tDOd64P.png

Another case of stolen voice. Now the question is, where is our brother's one ?

ldJ3aub.png

Yeah, we can't summon him. Bummer. Let's give the healing potion.

pnXlyQi.png

IOh8Spe.png

EXTREME ANDHAIRA MODE ON!

hOEO3ZL.png

At least we know where to start. Just as we are moving from the dungeon, the mage from the earlier conversation visits the place.

K7btIOd.png

Another tough enemy with powerful spells and surprisingly big number of hp. After that we are free to go. Let's find the voice of our brother.

y01eK4U.png

Cujo ?

There are vases on the whole island. Most of them have some gold or gems. But we need to find the proper one.

qt2yzTc.png

Success!

MlzNn7J.png

We last saw Muliban in our village right before our journey. Let's not hesitate and get back on the ship.

cFCtJHY.png

n7dUcc3.png

sJHJoLf.png

ck01tVr.png

kpWnifD.png

d0BmkX3.png

9yB6cAi.png

ReGPez6.png

Let's hope it will work.

Suddenly...

fbt0R4U.png

D8rihtl.png

UApxa9C.png

ChcCYvV.png

90bLzNI.png

:yeah:

oBCmuwW.png

JVoy5qj.png

We've got Muliban back so it's time for final confrontation!

gHMikev.png

ZXibJEj.png

raYwRP6.png

dMiQYTP.png

It was the oil moonstone. As always.

1KvhkLW.png

bY6RfjB.png

YOgHN2t.png

As one great prophet said, hope dies last. We need to sail quickly.

EsewUXU.png

:what:

The men doesn't fool around.

ToiKi8D.png

btV7eXY.png

vFsKQBq.png

BhEgjW8.gif

Andhaira was looking through the ship. There was enough provision and plenty of magicial options to aid him.
He knew that fate of his family and beloved Kara lies in his hands. As the sword in his hands was sharpened, preparing for the inevitable battle.
The dawn was setting in. The first glimpse on Al-Naqqil, Home of the Nameless Ones. There it was, waiting for him, like a silent threat.

[To be continued...]

Part 9 : The Final Confrontation

In our last episode we were heading into the island of the Nameless Masters, responsible for all that mess. Andhaira arrives at the shore, and sees the palace nearby.

b66Xn2D.png

Nothing is better than a warm welcoming.

wsGtn7L.png

The palace is filled with guards, which would be not that bad. But the Nameless mages are really tough and need more attention from us. They drain health really fast.

seUjIlu.png

We find random manuscripts with notes telling us more about the current situation and what the Nameless want to achieve.

WWiP8Es.png

7Yhvmxv.png

The arcane books are in reality a traps that will go boom and take some of our precious hit points. There is no point in trying to read them.

fjFMSU5.png

There are invisible walls here too. They are not optional and have to be found. All the mages must be destroyed, and a couple of them have magic necklaces that we need.

vNqRXii.png

CfxmAUa.png

The moonstone makes our enemies stronger. Bad news.

bRf8tOo.png

The last invisible wall. Just a little bit to the north there is a teleporter that will take us from here. We are now in the Outer-Planes.

LSVzX8X.png

This section is preety straightforward. The oval chambers in space are connected with magical blue bridges. In order to move onward we need to destroy every monster that comes from the gate. Yes, it's the most combat heavy part of the game. You will need to use every magic and have some potions to be able to survive.

rVKqhKz.png

waUqQjL.png

CQzHAR3.png

The mummy turns after some time into a normal human.

27IHbBG.png

lk7iiqd.png

MZEyivR.png

HYRw2Ld.png

So we fought with magically changed crew of the sunken ship.

k84G4b8.png

The most annoying thing about those hags is that they go invisible from time to time and like to attack us from behind.

After some encounters...

0Y5BbxI.png

We are finally here! The moonstone is pulsing with the energy. We can't do anything about it. Time to fight with more enemies.

0fwEdw7.png

cDa2AZZ.png

This guys sure doesn't fear to punch you into oblivion.

v65keF1.png

Turns out to be another crew member.

xZVmQGI.png

The blue magic carpet paths are starting to be confusing and you need to learn the one, proper one. For now we teleport to the ship, something has changed to the djin captain.

Rey4AiW.png

oHTHfYf.png

fdDynqR.png

WZeKqCI.png

cEtvfXs.png

Well, that was nice. I hope there is something new in the magic plane.

Gah!

PHtxEeh.png

We are attacked with something that could come from Australia - a crossbreed of kangaroo and crocodile. Devilish beast is very quick and vicious.

hqoYKOo.png

This is like that moment in the end parts of Prince of Persia 2.

Jp6sYLo.png

cDiUc1B.png

xRPhFnU.png

SfG5qgE.png

Diplomacy failed. Time for some fighting. As you can deduct, it's our mirror image so be prepared to fight to the death.

[After defeating the magic Andhaira.]

0gSQr6d.png

Txfp1pE.png

idUESTS.png

The main villain reveals to ourselves. But we don't fear him and will defeat him !

mogx0FE.png

Hmm, another one of those beasts. Our hero feels something strange towards this one.
Time to fight!

rvwvpTh.png

5bff9808799fb9fdfd26a1baaac02f52.jpg

It's Kara!

:desu:

HfyLKdv.png

HI1im3B.png

That's why we have IP detection on codex :lol:

PfxMT16.png

QgXczmZ.png

9f0RMeM.png

At least we know that Muliban is free now, so that's one problem out of our mind.

HnAVMiQ.png

UzwpO2a.png

UHV8tzq.png

ZgNpMAL.png

n0jHgFK.png

RF0D4Gn.png

AjjVzoo.png

ZzlMjW7.png

Love is in the air. But we must move for now :negative:

fHAUSC7.png

60XNIAA.png

You remember me, fatso ?

91YTaPO.png

This is the last stand of the Nameless Masters. Just use everything you have and heal when you need to. The mage likes to fly from the oval place and we need to use magic missiles or be patient and look for coming fireballs and other things. Yes, it's tough but after after some time you will finally beat him.

3bj0lBA.png

:cool:

After that Muliban shows up.

ciWD12K.png

What's going on ?

yhPzsqr.png

3qUQ0CZ.png

a9ma8x0.png

NDl3vTE.png

Yes, we don't want our father-in-law to be deceased.

QteBWkv.png

Hey, I just asked! Forgive me for being a little trustworthy with all those things that happened

iHCu9PO.png

That must have been a funny sight.

HK0Buj9.png

aY4P4vl.png

Apparently she is fine. But we need to go back and find her !

azf6Bvj.png

JfakYlJ.png

Muliban is not such a bad djin after all.

2TO6JMz.png

RGMtjVv.png

Awwww , so romantic.

:love:

1FKehz9.png

GAXWrlC.png

Ht10NCb.png

hsMxcao.png

"I would" said Jools , ekhem. I mean Andhaira of course.

bDqjMvL.png

There is only one last thing that we need to ask about.

sE0K5ZC.png

Vom8pja.png

9ES1ivu.png

n2ZBhzN.png

Muliban is really showing initiative. Bro Djin achievement unlocked.

C258s9h.png

XNb9Apg.png

Fun9KWr.png

Finally we teleport to our city.

m5ORfdK.png

vg4lOue.png

bdRXtWT.png

krIvRgm.png

xoT59JW.png

Mnw7xuU.png

JrW4GsM.png

OWwEXUs.png

2b5L55h.png

KdZipsE.png

k7bKF6d.png

YOMXkUd.png

Every story needs and ending. Andhaira restored his family honor, married his beloved Kara, with the Nameless Masters defeated and Muliban freed from evil spell. Knowing that peace will not last forever, but whatever the ancients sands will reveal, he was ready for another journey into unknown. Another time, another place...

BhEgjW8.gif

Thanks for everyone who read this LP, it was fun to make it. After making it I see that you need a lot more work and persistance to finally see the end of the whole process.

Sadly there is no alterantive endings and it's more like an adventure game mixed with light rpg elements. I've never looked on those statistics of the character. It never was necessary. The sword techniques could be more fleshed out and add more variety to the game, but I think it would work better for full 3d game. Setting was interesting, certainly something fresh from quasi medieval Europe like in many other D&D games.

Until next time.

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome LP! What I don't understand though is this mentality of the genies: "Thank you Sir! You have saved me from this spell of slavery! As a reward I'll willingly serve you instead!" (????). Then again, genies are probably immortal, so serving a mortal for a generation or two not much of a hassle for them. Moreover, why would they consider resurrecting someone a favor? Anyway, the lp was interesting, you should try Entomorph next, although I didn't find it as cool as this game.

Entomorph has a really disturbing setting with all those bugs and spiders. I will look at it of course, don't know if it's worth to make another LP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom