Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 86: Chapter 6-1 - The Phantom Corps (ending)

part1tqka8.jpg

Elbert: Their aim was to place soldiers along routes we were likely to use so they could ambush us easily... Hiding one's strength from the enemy is certainly a good scare tactic...

Allied soldier: You are Sir Elbert, the knight of Sinon, correct? The remaining Imperial troops have surrendered, as commanded. The village only suffered minimal damage in the battle.

Elbert: Thank you for the assistance. Let's hope the Empire will think twice before trying this tactic again.

Allied soldier: I agree. Thankfully, your counter-tactics worked brilliantly, Sir Elbert.

part2l8jhe.jpg

Allied soldier: Understood, sir. You can leave it to us!

Back at HQ, Elbert reports his success.

part3qdkrd.jpg

part464ja3.jpg

Ward: All in all, a very successful mission, if I do say so myself. That said, it is clear that the Empire is no stranger to diverse strategies.

Elbert: Do you believe the Empire has a seasoned commander who is formulating these strategies?

Reese: Of course. The Empire likely has no shortage of clever minds. If we are not careful, they may take the ground right from underneath us. We will simply have to outsmart them and beat them at their own game.

Ward: Indeed, milord...

Reese: That aside, we were awarded a special bonus for our success. Ward, give it to Tianna to add to the rest of our war funds.

Ward: Yes, milord.

Reese: And to you, Elbert, well done on the mission. I look forward to watching your continued success in the future.

Elbert: Thank you, Lord Reese!

part5k9k3h.jpg

Since I captured an Imperial soldier during the mission, the "Monthly Report" menu option now brings up a new dialogue with Tianna.

part6fvkdx.jpg

Tianna: The enemy army wants to exchange prisoners with yours.

part7q6jd7.jpg

The prisoner exchange windows will show personnel captured by both sides, as applicable. If one of the Sinon Knights (for example) had been captured, their ransom value would affect the amount of money changing hands in the transaction. Mercenaries' ransom seems to be relative to their hiring fee; it also increases with the level of the character. A separate window and confirmation will appear for each one of your people that is captured.

If you decline the exchange, you can come back to the menu and change your mind any time in-between missions. There are some rare cases where characters have unique scenes while captured, and thus cannot be immediately ransomed; I'll discuss these as and when they come up. For now, I'll agree to 590 denarii in exchange for returning this soldier to the Imperials.

part8wzj16.jpg

This next scene actually came up when I hired Faye in preparation for Chapter 6-2 (it indicates she is at 6 happiness), but I decided to put it here rather than in the next update for pacing reasons.

part9tsji9.jpg

part10ypjup.jpg

Faramir glances at her silently, but offers no reply.

Faye: Would you... would you mind if I asked you a few questions?

No response is forthcoming, so she continues.

Faye: I have been curious about you ever since we first met. The way you handle your sword... It is very similar to the technique that my father practices.

Faramir: .....

part11hfk09.jpg

Faramir: However, I have never met him.

Faye: But your technique...

Faramir: There's not much variation among Izmil swordfighting styles. Of course they'd be similar.

Faye: Oh... I see... There was another person whose style you reminded me of, as well... From whom did you learn the sword? Where in Izmil are you from?

Faramir: ...I don't know. I was thrown away like trash soon after I was born.

Faye: Thrown away...?

Faramir: The man who raised me told me as much. Until I was 14, he taught me how to fight and how to live in this world. After that, I went from country to country to practice my skills. That is how I came to this land.

Hmm... that explains a few things. Although I can't help but wonder what Faramir is leaving out of his story here.

Faye: I came here in search of a man who stole two sacred blades and left my father for dead... And in Demias Forest, I finally found the one I had sought: Chaos, a Dark Warrior of the Raze Empire.

part12hfk1j.jpg

Faye: Yes...

Faramir: You're lucky you even survived. Why not give up and go home?

Faye: I cannot! I must reclaim my father's stolen swords at any cost!

Faramir: You've got spirit, but with those skinny arms of yours, there's nothing you can do to a man like him.

Faye: At the time, Chaos was protected by a magical power. Had that not been the case, I would not have lost to him.

part132rj7v.jpg

I'm with Faramir here. Faye is wildly overestimating what she can do. Chaos is the Pope's right hand man, no ordinary human. She was swatted away like a fly.

Faramir: I watched the two of you fight. You're barely fit to wield a sword, let alone face a man like him... If you want, I can teach you, but...

Faye: Teach me...?

Faramir: But let me say this: I don't approve of women becoming warriors. There's only so much that can be done to teach you, given your...limitations, shall we say.

Faye: If you will not approve of me, then why would you even offer?! I have no need for a teacher with an attitude like yours!

part14x4ktw.jpg

The opinion Faramir just expressed isn't entirely honest, given that he isn't stopping Faye from leaving, but will continue to step in to prevent her from being fatally wounded. That said, he isn't really wrong either, both in a real world sense and in the game. Statistically, Faye is only exceptional in speed, her strength starts at 3 and has modest increases over time. Even an RNG-blessed Faye cannot exceed a giant like Sherpa.

part151mj1v.jpg

As the determined and stubborn Faye leaves, Faramir offers no further reaction.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 87: Chapter 6-2 - Food Supply (part 1)

part1ifk4b.jpg

part2hdkth.jpg

Marybelle: ...There's so many folks out of jobs and orphaned kids, because of the war, so I wanted to do something. That's why, once a week, I host a soup kitchen here for them all.

Ward: That's wonderfully charitable of you, Ms. Marybelle!

Marybelle: I'm hardly rich myself, so I wanted to help out however I could... If I spend my money right, I can get good ingredients for cheap and feed a lot of people.

Ward: This all sounds very noble... Why, then, do you seem so sad?

Marybelle: The best place I could find to buy cheap ingredients was the town of Maenne just west of here. But since last month, thieves and the like moved in and made the town their territory. The people tried resisting, but they couldn't run them out of town. Now the invaders rule the place. Naturally, I can't go there to buy my ingredients anymore. But the citizens sent me a letter begging me to ask the knights of Narvia to help them...

part38rkpu.jpg

Marybelle: Most of the soldiers and knights of this duchy don't care about us! Doesn't that just make your stomach churn, Sir Ward?

Ward: I know the feeling all too well... It seems myself and my associates will have to suffice for this task.

Marybelle: Oh, would you, Sir Ward?! I've got no one else to turn to... I've had to use ingredients meant for the restaurant, and now even those are starting to run low... If there's any way you can bring back food to restock us, I'd be eternally grateful. If something doesn't change soon, I might have to close the restaurant...

Ward: Heaven forbid, Ms. Marybelle! I will send my subordinates to the town's aid straightaway. They will secure the town and return safely, I assure you. They will be ordered to do all that they can to retrieve the food you need.

part4sdj9k.jpg

Ward: Besides, this city needs a fine chef like you in these difficult times.

Marybelle: Aww, Sir Ward! That means a lot.

Arina: I want to thank you as well, Sir Ward.

part58hjmh.jpg

For this mission there's an extra deployment slot available.

part6i7kvo.jpg

Battle Party

Ruby's lagging behind on skill training, so I'll hire her for 520. As I mentioned last update, Faye (600) is also coming along, since she needs a few levels.

Equipment-wise, the following was purchased:

-A prototype shield for Ruby, since her buckler is in poor condition

-Elbert gets an aspis, for the same reason as above.

-Heal and awaken orbs for Izerna. A hard counter to the sleep status effect will be helpful in upcoming missions.

-Another thunder orb, since Perceval's skill is relatively slow to increase.

-Some additional pilums for Larentia to attack melee enemies with impunity.

-A fresh longsword each for Arthur and Faye, since their existing weapons may break soon.

-Another broadaxe for Dean.

That was about 10,000 denarii spent in total, but I should still have enough of a reserve for any contingencies next chapter.

part7cdkq8.jpg

Elbert retains his inventory from the previous mission, and he's only one level away from learning Shieldfaire (the +18 shield skill passive).

part8e7j0r.jpg

Arthur's equipment is looking worse for wear. Hopefully those shields last long enough.

part939jnp.jpg

Larentia will be taking care of scouting and harassing any enemies that try to flee.

part10dfkje.jpg

Izerna's pretty much certain to promote this chapter.

part11oskq5.jpg

Percy didn't make much progress last time, so I'll be making sure he gets some high value kills here.

part12d9jqu.jpg

I equipped Ruby with a heavier spear so that she doesn't dodge as much, to facilitate increasing her shield skill.

part1303kjj.jpg

Faye takes the giant's brace to boost her damage output.

part14gyjhp.jpg

Christine's now highly accurate with crossbows, might be time to switch over to bows for the promotion requirement.

part15jkkix.jpg

Dean takes the final slot, just in case I need the extra offensive power.

Arriving near the town of Maenne, an Imperial patrol is visible to the north:

part16ovj85.jpg

There are two enemy escape points by the town itself, which suggests that at least some of the thieves will make a run for it.

part17rwk3d.jpg

This archer to the southwest could be a problem.

part182hjvy.jpg

That's a lot of dangerous arrows, and a bow with crit. He also has double-shot:

part19hvk44.jpg

The brigand next to Palrovin will also be a serious threat if left alone too long.

part20llkss.jpg

The leader of this band is Murtagh, one of the bounty targets. Since he has a miracle charm, two fatal hits are necessary to kill him.

part214xjry.jpg

Arrowbane and Deathmatch, not someone to be taken lightly. Although it should be noted that deathmatch can be only used against targets that can counter the currently equipped weapon.

part22pdjxl.jpg

The Imperial commander is no pushover either.

part23bajg3.jpg

part24r0km1.jpg

I'll be taking him on since I want that obsidian for crafting repairstone. His soldiers are pretty tough as well:

part2521k9n.jpg

part26jpjb9.jpg

part27fgk9x.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 88: Chapter 6-2 - Food Supply (part 2)

part17rk4a.jpg

Brigand: I'd love to, boss, but these people keep putting up such a fuss! I think we got to make another example out of a couple of 'em.

Murtagh: They're still complaining? They just don't know when to quit! Listen up: any of these guys gives you trouble, you cut them down!

Brigand: Heh, you got it, boss!

part276jho.jpg

Imperial scout: Yes sir, it seems some thieves are trying to take it over.

Muerthen: Is that so? Leave them be, then. Our job here is reconnaissance, nothing more. Of course, if they attack us, then that's an entirely different story. Relay that to the others.

Imperial scout: Will do, sir!

part3ckjfe.jpg

part41sjyt.jpg

Thief #1: Say, how's it going for you guys in the back room?

part5syj1q.jpg

Thief #2: We're not bringing it all there, you idiot! We can't carry all this by hand!

Thief #1: All right, all right... but I'll fill my bag as much as I can, at least!

part6h5jk3.jpg

The amount of food recovered will directly influence the post-mission reward. That means moving quickly to intercept the thieves before they leave town. After some quick repositioning, it's time to start the mission itself.

part7crktl.jpg

Thief #2: Trust me, this'll be plenty. Besides, there's too much to carry!

Larentia and Elbert use spear charges to kill the first thief:

part860k08.jpg

A few brigands move forward. Arthur cuts down another thief via desperation.

part9gdkei.jpg

Christine misses her attack and gets poisoned. Another hit from an axe means I have to heal immediately, so Izerna uses physic:

part107fj64.jpg

The thief with the poison knife takes his turn and hits Arthur. He also activates adept, leaving the latter critically low on health.

part114zk4q.jpg

Ruby inflicts some chip damage with her shortsword, while Dean, Perceval and Faye advance as far as possible.

On turn 2, a pair of thieves emerge from the storehouse carrying food:

part12tlktv.jpg

Thief #1 (continued): If you hadn't been gorging yourself, we could've left sooner!

Thief #2: I didn't do nothin'! All I did was have a little snack! Now let's get going!

Imperial scout: Sir, a small military force from the Berwick League has arrived!

Muerthen: Oh? This could be tricky... Are they here for the thieves...?

Imperial scout: We are all prepared to sortie at your command, sir.

part13y6j9p.jpg

Muerthen: Take note of their formations and tactics for future battles.

Imperial scout: But sir...

Muerthen: However, if they come too close, we will have to fight them. Stay on high alert.

Imperial scout: Shall I give orders to prepare a retreat route, if it comes to that?

Muerthen: That will hardly be necessary. We will exterminate all of them.

Imperial scout: Understood, sir.

Meanwhile, I have other concerns:

part149fjh6.jpg

I opt to retreat Arthur out of range rather than use a vulnerary. A brigand attacks Larentia, throwing a hatchet that results in her being injured:

part15yyj73.jpg

Christine is hit again, so I have her retaliate and then fall back. Fortunately, the poison wears off quickly.

part162fjtc.jpg

Ruby gets poisoned though, and Larentia is hit by a previously hidden archer.

part17nxj6s.jpg

Elbert takes a chunk out of a food-carrying thief and holds off the brigands around him.

part1810jcj.jpg

Dean's broadaxe in conjunction with desperation makes short work of another thief:

part199bjca.jpg

Ruby dismounts to duel a brigand, with axebane allowing her to dodge on the enemy's action. Elbert is not so lucky, however.

part20fljlt.jpg

Mend will allow Arthur to get back into the thick of the action next turn.

part21gujg2.jpg

Surprisingly, Perceval hits with thunder against a relatively fast enemy.

part22o6k86.jpg

On turn 3, Elbert is ordered to retreat immediately and use a vulnerary:

part23rujty.jpg

One of the brigands nearby does the same. Larentia's Euthyphro ensures that she recovers some of the stolen food.

part24ycj5j.jpg

Ruby finishes off the poison knife thief with her shortsword, and receives enough xp for level 9.

part25hbkpr.jpg

part26odjhy.jpg

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ward: Heaven forbid, Ms. Marybelle! I will send my subordinates to the town's aid straightaway. They will secure the town and return safely, I assure you. They will be ordered to do all that they can to retrieve the food you need.
Never get between a man and his food

Endemic

Arcane
Heh. Ward's a fun character, but I'm surprised you picked that line in particular.

Chapter 7 is going to get more interesting in both story and gameplay terms ;) I'm looking forward to LP'ing it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh. Ward's a fun character, but I'm surprised you picked that line in particular.

It's just that before Marybelle says that she 'might have to close the restaurant', Ward's all sorry, war is really horrible, sorry madam, we'll do what we can and then after he's all more serious, like sending men RIGHT NOW, they WILL SUCCEED of course, all in the name of preserving access to good food.

Also if you don't do the quest, do the restaurant closes?

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
It's just that before Marybelle says that she 'might have to close the restaurant', Ward's all sorry, war is really sorry madam, we'll do what we can and then after he's all more serious, like sending men RIGHT NOW, they WILL SUCCEED of course, all in the name of preserving access to good food

Well, Ward's been adamant about helping the citizens since chapter 1, so I saw it as more of the same. Then there's the other sides of him, like how he deals with Esteban, or Christine's estrangement. That he doesn't always agree with Reese's opinion or vice versa is also appreciated.

Also if you don't do the quest, do the restaurant closes?

For 6-2 you just forfeit the in-mission and post-mission rewards. There are steeper penalties for skipping other side missions (for example, refusing to help investigate the mountain in 1-2 means Ruby and Arthur are never heard from again).

Endemic

Arcane
Update 89: Chapter 6-2 - Food Supply (part 3)

Dean and Faye take out the final food-carrying thief:

part1rxj3o.jpg

Another kill for Arthur.

part2rbjfu.jpg

At the end of the turn, Christine attacks the nearest brigand in range and hits. On turn 4, she follows up with another shot:

part38zjih.jpg

A decent level-up.

part46xj8u.jpg

I forgot that the archer hidden in the trees with overwatch was still there, and Larentia is crippled as a result.

part5tik4t.jpg

To make matters worse, she is captured. Elbert and Dean immediately respond, although the latter is wide of the mark and gets countered.

part6jkk2i.jpg

Izerna heals Arthur, and the poison wears off after he takes his turn.

part7mujro.jpg

Next turn, Dean trades with Ruby for a vulnerary so he can heal.

part84jk5p.jpg

Perceval strikes down another brigand and finally gets a point in thunder skill:

part9udjlm.jpg

After successive attacks from Elbert and Arthur, the overwatch archer is dead.

part105sjcq.jpg

Dean is sent forward of the group as bait for Palrovin. As a consequence, he is both injured and put to sleep at the same time, thanks to the extra damage from double-shot.

part11e5knz.jpg

Christine unfortunately doesn't hit with her crossbow, and the return shot knocks her unconscious as well.

part1237jpz.jpg

The melee is indecisive, so on Elbert's next move I have him distract Palrovin.

part132ckyt.jpg

His axe-wielding friend takes the concoction to heal. This gives me the opportunity to patch up Dean:

part14i3jyz.jpg

Arthur gets the lethal strike on Palrovin, and enough experience for level 8.

part152sj64.jpg

part16zckye.jpg

Now I need to block Murtagh's potential escape routes and deal with him.

part17ndjcq.jpg

Christine and Faye mop up the last enemy in the south.

part18igkjw.jpg

Izerna wakes up Dean.

part19xlk8a.jpg

Now she's met her promotion requirements :)

part201rjvf.jpg

Murtagh is defiant as we confront him:

part21avkli.jpg

Murtagh: Better prepare yourself for the biggest beat-down of your life!

part22ecjol.jpg

Hmm, that fort gives him a decent evasion bonus. Meanwhile, Arthur gets critted, so I have him retreat for healing.

part239yje4.jpg

After some more skirmishing, the bandits are cleared and Murtagh begins to flee.

part24inkvg.jpg

Not bad, given Faye's strength improves at 25%. Note that the level-up screen doesn't show bonuses from food\equipment\etc.

part25u7k2w.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 90: Chapter 6-2 - Food Supply (part 4)

Murtagh is soon cornered and killed.

part15vj3z.jpg

Percy gets speed from the level-up, very nice.

part2lyjax.jpg

I could end the mission now, but I want to deal with the Imperial patrol to get that crafting material.

In the meantime, Ruby checks out the weapon shop:

part3mzk7v.jpg

The basic scimitar is cheap, but nothing particularly special besides that. For those that are curious, the scimitar and shamshir are both curved swords, first used by steppe cavalry in the 9th century.

part4wdk8m.jpg

The "improved" version gives +1 strikes but at the cost of lower accuracy, durability and damage. Not worth it.

part5t7j2u.jpg

A rare sword, the Zanbato puts out a lot of damage but is very unwieldy. The special effect relates to its real life counterpart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanbatō

part6cjjs4.jpg

While it seems inaccurate, the thief's knife is one of the few ways to boost the mug skill's activation rate. I'll pick this up.

part7iykos.jpg

I'll also buy the Saber, since the crit and low weight make up for the slight damage reduction over the longsword at this price. That's 2418 denarii in total.

part80aj0b.jpg

We've seen the Wind Edge already, so I'll skip it.

Provoke only works on this guy with the Chu-ko-nu:

part11klkme.jpg

While he struggles to cross the cliffs, Christine makes a couple of hit-and-run attacks. Perceval finishes the job.

part122yk8h.jpg

Dean attacks the closest axe soldier, but the latter then takes a vulnerary from Muerthen to heal.

part131qji5.jpg

Speaking of Muerthen, he's unimpressed by our actions:

part148ijf9.jpg

Muerthen: I wonder, have you prepared yourself for the consequences of your actions?!

That speed increase pays dividends, as adept activates while Percy is attacking with his dire thunder spell.

part15r3kiz.jpg

Even better, all three strikes hit.

part16goku6.jpg

:salute:

Dean takes a hit from the second axe soldier, so Izerna steps in with physic.

part172fkqs.jpg

On the next turn, Dean is struck again, this time by pulverize (double damage). However, it isn't enough to kill him, and the vengeful skill activates (93% chance in this case).

part186tjkr.jpg

Dean's 23 attack combined with the 31 damage from vengeful is overwhelming:

part198lj5t.jpg

Level 10 yields another strength point.

part20ndjii.jpg

He falls back for healing, while Perceval takes on the remaining axeman with another cast of dire thunder.

part21y9khq.jpg

Almost halfway to promotion.

part2276j5r.jpg

The Imperial archer uses his longbowman skill, but his weapon is too inaccurate at this range.

part23jtkm9.jpg

He is swiftly overrun:

part24eqjpp.jpg

Maenne is now under our control. We find Larentia held at the bandits' fort.

part25ajj1e.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 91: Chapter 6-2 - Food Supply (ending)

part104koi.jpg

Marybelle: You brought some back for me?!

Ward: I pray you'll be able to manage with this much for the time being...

Marybelle: This will be more than plenty! I never imagined you would bring home so much! Sir Ward... Thank you for going so far just for our sakes. I'll be able to feed a lot of people with this!

Ward: Please do. I hope you will continue your generosity for years to come.

Marybelle: As long as I can still stir a spoon, I'll keep at it! Here, let me pay you back for the cost of the ingredients you brought for me...

Ward: You need not do that for us... It was merely a friendly favour.

Marybelle: You kidding? I can't just accept this much food for free! Here, take it.

Ward: All right, I will. Good day to you, Ms. Marybelle!

part2n5kq9.jpg

Since I recovered all of the food, this is the maximum reward. Speaking of which, time to collect the bounty on Murtagh:

part3izkm1.jpg

Over to the temple for Izerna's promotion.

part47ukfm.jpg

High-ranking personnel from the Sinon Knights and the Verian clergy are in attendance, of course.

part56ijxf.jpg

part6aijn0.jpg

part7aoks2.jpg

part7_2nfk4w.jpg

part7_3hnkrz.jpg

part8xzk74.jpg

part8_1gdj80.jpg

part8_22jj0x.jpg

part8_3ibj3t.jpg

part9oqkcl.jpg

part106tkhb.jpg

That's +1 to hp, +2 to speed and magic. Versatile comes in handy when combined with Holy.

part16hwj49.jpg

After the ceremony, Quescria catches up with Izerna:

part117fjhc.jpg

part12eyjhx.jpg

Izerna: It's all thanks to you, Mother... I mean, Madam Quescria.

Quescria: I may hide my feelings when we are in public, Izerna, but please know that I think of you always.

Izerna: Thank you, Mother... I promise, I'll never forget this day for as long as I live.

Quescria: Nor will I, my child... Oh, that's right! I have a gift for you, for your ordination!

part13qkjob.jpg

part14e7jg1.jpg

Quescria: Can I entrust this precious orb to you, my child?

Izerna: Y-Yes, of course! I know Lord Reese will be overjoyed to hear about this gift as well! Thank you so much, Mother!

Rehabilitate allows you to heal the crippled status up to 12 times. Let's check in on Larentia:

part14_2g5k67.jpg

part157yj9x.jpg

Jung: If she doesn't rest properly, she'll just be dead weight out there...

Larentia: .....

I'll tidy up inventories and hire a few mercenaries that need happiness points (or just money, in Thaddy's case). That leaves 37,121 denarii to spend next chapter.

Chapter 7's intro is quite long, so I'll be breaking it up into multiple parts.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 92: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Introduction, pt. 1)

Duke Bernard arrives at Duke Roswick's home:

part16xjjm.jpg

Roswick: Shouldn't you be leading our forces at the front lines in Serenia?!

Bernard: I was, but I received an urgent summons by His Majesty the King.

Roswick: N-No, that cannot be! You must return to the Western Front at once to lead the troops! I will explain to his Majesty...

part2r4kx6.jpg

Roswick: What? What do you mean?

Bernard: If I disobey the king's direct order, the entire Western Front's leadership will come into question. I already have a target on my back. I don't want to drag them into this.

Roswick: But still... Your life is at stake, Your Highness...

Bernard: That's not necessarily true. At least, I'd like to believe that even the king himself wouldn't be that stupid...

Roswick: .....

part3ltjfj.jpg

There's a lot of history here we're going to learn about...and the reason Roswick referred to him as "Your Highness".

part4dijv1.jpg

Bernard: If you hadn't sent me food and money as you did, I'd have starved to death within months. I owe you both my life for what you've done for me.

Roswick: I'm sorry... It was the least I could do to atone for what I'd done...

Bernard: No, the fault lies with me... I was only twelve, but still, I let my grandfather and others use me... Grandfather told me he would blot out my father's shame, and I trusted him... because of that foolishness, we fought that gruesome civil war for eight long years.

part5ayji1.jpg

That's the rebellion that was mentioned back in chapter 3.

Roswick: I humbly request your forgiveness...

Bernard: You were simply fulfilling your duty to my late uncle as his subjects. I have nothing to forgive you for, nor do I bear you any ill will.

Roswick: Thank you, Your Highness...

Bernard: ...If you want to help me now, please keep assisting Volcens. The Empire is closing in. This is a time of life and death. We don't have the luxury to be dwelling on evils of the past now.

part6wckfo.jpg

Seems that Volcens is still holding a grudge about Bernard being on the opposing side in the civil war. His father, Mordias IV, had a different attitude after the events, as we'll learn soon.

Bernard: Even if I do not return, he will be able to fill my place just fine.

Roswick is about as convinced by this line as I am, which is to say, not at all.

part7mljcv.jpg

Bernard leaves, ignoring Roswick's concerns. At the same time, a briefing is taking place:

part883kvr.jpg

Reese and the other commanders join Vanmilion at the map.

part95gjxm.jpg

part103bkxw.jpg

Incidentally, Remagen is a real place, in Germany. It happened to be the site of an important battle in World War II: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remagen#Capture_of_the_bridge

Vanmilion: They are currently holding, but the the situation remains critical.

part1167kcf.jpg

Vanmilion: Imperial Commandant Goddrom was also slain in battle. With Serenia's capital Zaltzhaim now liberated, our forces stand ready to advance into Yutoria.

part12w9k9e.jpg

Welcome news, given the situation on the eastern side of Lazberia. That said, without Bernard there now, will those successes continue?

part13gvkiy.jpg

Vanmilion: Bornia's troops are well-trained, unlike our new recruits. We can't break through their lines like this. Does anyone have any ideas? If you have a plan that could turn things around, speak up now.

Reese: Lord Vanmilion, may I?

Vanmilion: Go ahead, Lord Reese. What's your suggestion?

Reese: There is a fortress and port town called Turon on the Morra Strait, just south of the Bornian border. [pointing to the map] I believe it is around here...

part14vqkac.jpg

part15tgkt3.jpg

Vanmilion: But that was months ago. The last I heard, his situation seemed dire...

Reese: Are you personally acquainted with Vester, Lord Vanmilion?

Vanmilion: Before the war, he was one of my most trusted friends. He is both brave and astute. I know the people of Bornia are glad to have him as the Duke's successor.

Reese: In that case, I propose we launch a rescue mission to retrieve Lord Vester and welcome him back into the League.

part15_2u8kc8.jpg

Vanmilion: Turon is deep inside enemy territory, and if Vester is there as you say, then the enemy will be on high alert. You may die before you can even reach where he is being held.

Reese: Still, this may be our only chance... We'll have to take the risk. I say we sneak into town at night, and try to leave before dawn.

Vanmilion: If the rescue party fails to escape the town by dawn...

Reese: Should that happen, we'll have to deal with it when the time comes. I understand fully how dangerous this mission I've proposed is. Therefore, I volunteer to lead the mission myself, with your permission.

Vanmilion: I understand. Thank you, Lord Reese.

part16fxj0k.jpg

Meanwhile, King Volcens awaits the arrival of Duke Bernard.

part17c7jna.jpg

To be continued...

Endemic

Arcane
Update 93: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Introduction, pt. 2)

Bernard enters the audience chamber and steps forward to pay his respects.

part1qgj77.jpg

I can see why Volcens was the most loathed character among the Japanese playerbase:

part24yj6y.jpg

Bernard: This is simply the first time we have come face to face in fifteen years. Truly, seeing that you are in such good health brings a tear to my eye.

Volcens: Hmph, how amusing... The last I saw you, you were being sent to the penal colony in Mineva. As I recall, you were weeping then, too, on account of your rusty chains.

Bernard: .....

Volcens: Margrave Calvin of Mineva kept a close watch on you during your stay... "Prince Bernard has lost his mind. He no longer poses any threat." For twelve long years, he reported that news to my father. Imagine my surprise in seeing you so fully recovered, dear cousin! Calvin was Father's loyal servant... Yet how easily you deceived him!

Bernard: His Late Majesty sentenced me to live in exile in the colony of Mineva. I accepted my sentence, and I made no attempts to escape. After twelve years, I was pardoned, and the king allowed me to live freely as a commoner...

Volcens responds with outrage, his voice loud enough to echo from the walls.

part3odkqo.jpg

Volcens: Why on earth would Father choose to simply exile you, let alone pardon you after a mere twelve years...?

Sienna: I think Father began to regret what he'd done, and he wanted to atone for his elder brother's death...

Volcens: What?! Arles killed himself! And what reason would Father have to atone for that traitor's death?

Sienna: You know as well as I, that Uncle...

part4wbj34.jpg

Volcens: Hold your tongue, Sienna! I will not allow you to disgrade Father's good name like this!

Sienna: Then let us ask High Priestess Quescria to recall for us. What do the Church archives say of the death of Veria's 32nd king, His Majesty Harmell VII?

Quescria: The cause was revealed by the first infallible divine oracle of Apostle...

part580jvn.jpg

That's interesting... less than a year before Bronte herself was assassinated.

Quescria: However, only the head clergy and royal family were informed of this.

Sienna: There you have it. Uncle Arles was not a traitor. Though they never saw eye to eye, both he and Father wished for this kingdom's prosperity. When Arles was accused for the assassination of King Harmell, the war had already all but begun. The evidence against Arles was surely damning, but his supporters swore...

part6qkj9z.jpg

As an aside, this seems to be a reference to the Frankish king of the same name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carloman_I

Sienna: But as the trial turned more and more contentious, he believed it would result in all-out war if it continued. So he thought the best course of action to take, was to admit to the false charges. He sacrificed his own life for the sake of peace, entrusting everything to his beloved brother...

She pauses for a short while.

Sienna: ...Sadly, his actions only served as the spark for the flames of war. Not even Father knew the whole truth until learning it from Apostle Silpha's divine oracle. I think that truth slowly began to eat away at him, and he felt remorse toward Arles's orphaned children.

part7fzj6x.jpg

Sienna: "Surely he was only a victim of Carloman and his followers..." That was his belief. If you truly have the makings of a king, Brother, you should respect the will of your forebears.

Volcens: Enough with your jabbering! What are you getting at, Sienna?

Sienna: As the adopted son of the late Duke of Diana, Bernard once again holds a position of respect. Together with Margrave Bernstol, he organised the lords of the west into a formidable army. Furthermore, he has shown remarkable dedication and results in his efforts to repel the Raze Empire. In recognition of his deeds, I propose you fully reinstate Bernard's status as a member of the royal family.

part8_28uklz.jpg

Padolf: If we pardon this former renegade, then we cannot keep order! Doing so would even endorse the old rebellion as being legitimate! It would leave a dark stain on the pages of the Kingdom of Veria...

Sienna: I believe that judgement will be for future generations to make, Minister Padolf, not you. Or are you more interested in how you will look to the historians than in the future of this country?

Padolf: E-Er... Lord Herman, what do you think of this?

Herman: I am merely a military advisor. It is not my place to speak for the royal or noble families.

Padolf: ...What about you, Duke Roswick?

part9t9j2q.jpg

Roswick: My only concern is for him to return to his post at the Western Front. I believe this is the best course of action, both for His Majesty's safety and for the sake of this kingdom.

Volcens: Hmm...

Quescria: Your Majesty, Duke Bernard has come a long distance from Serenia to be before you today. Perhaps it would be best to let him rest for the evening and resume this conversation later...

Volcens: ...I will allow it. I myself have grown fatigued as well from Sienna's ceaseless rambling.

part10ayk8s.jpg

Later that day, Bernard visits Reese.

part116gk62.jpg

Reese: Thank you for coming to see me so we could talk like this.

Bernard: Of course, I did promise Lynette that I would pay you a visit. It would weigh heavily on my conscience if I broke a promise to that girl before I died...

Reese: Died...?

They are soon interrupted:

part12gxjiw.jpg

Guardsmen swiftly enter the room and surround Bernard.

part13nykku.jpg

Reese: W-Wait! What's going on here? Release him at once, I command you!

Guard: I can't do that. I've got direct orders from His Majesty.

They escort Bernard from the room.

Reese: No... Duke Bernard!

Shortly afterwards, in the castle dungeon, Bernard has a visitor:

part14t8k4k.jpg

Defender: I was given strict orders not to let him speak to anyone...

Unknown voice: Did you not hear me? Step aside. Now.

part15dyker.jpg

Sienna: My brother is going to have you executed tomorrow morning. I've prepared for your escape.

Bernard: I'm sorry... but I won't run away.

Sienna: But why?! If you stay here, you'll die!

Bernard: I don't want to watch this kingdom fall any further... That's all.

Sienna: Duke Bernard!

part16kpj2n.jpg

Sienna gives him a forlorn look.

part1719jfi.jpg

What will she do now?

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure if I understood that part: Bernard is a cousin of Volcen, right? And when Bernard says "Grandfather told me he would blot out my father's shame", the grandfather in question is Carloman, who instigated the rebellion?

And so the League was in a civil war (the eight years of blood), at the same time they were at war with the empire? No surprise they're in trouble.

Also it's interesting how both Bernard and his father have the same reaction: even if they are being wronged, they prefer to die, because that's the best option for the league.

Endemic

Arcane
I'm not sure if I understood that part: Bernard is a cousin of Volcens, right?

Yes, Bernard is from the branch that married into Leia's ruling family. Arles married Carloman's daughter, if I'm not mistaken.

And when Bernard says "Grandfather told me he would blot out my father's shame", the grandfather in question is Carloman, who instigated the rebellion?

I believe so, Bernard was too young to be anything but a pawn at the time. It gets discussed in more detail later on.

And so the League was in a civil war (the eight years of blood), at the same time they were at war with the empire? No surprise they're in trouble.

Duke Bernard states that he hasn't seen Volcens for 15 years (in other words, he was exiled in 603). That would suggest the rebellion had ended by then, since Bernard was considered its defacto leader. From that conversation, we can also assume Bernard was pardoned by Mordias roughly 3 years ago (12 years spent in exile + 3 years = 15 years). After that, he was adopted into the house of Diana and took over the dukedom when his adoptive parents died. Then he rose to fame as a military commander who turned the tide in the West.

Here's a map:

tumblr_inline_ornkfncnljq7.png

Apostle Silpha Bronte's assassination triggered the current conflict with the Raze Empire. If you remember Archbishop Lebough's comments in chapter 3, Bronte was killed about 14 years ago. From the game's intro, we know that Reese's journey begins in 618, so that gives us 604-605 as the approximate start of the war. Initially the League had some success in attacking Imperial territory, but they were eventually pushed back to the border at Sakiria. King Mordias himself arrived to the front around 18 months ago (so roughly 616) with fresh troops, but was killed in battle. Once he was dead, the old divisions from the civil war contributed to the situation falling apart. The kingdom of Pesil defected, for example.

Based on the divination that Quescria recalled, the whole situation was instigated as a divide and conquer move to weaken the Berwick League from within.

Volcens' real reason for imprisoning Bernard will be revealed in the next scene, the rebellion is more of a convenient excuse if anything.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure if I understood that part: Bernard is a cousin of Volcens, right?

Yes, Bernard is from the branch that married into Leia's ruling family. Arles married Carloman's daughter, if I'm not mistaken.

And when Bernard says "Grandfather told me he would blot out my father's shame", the grandfather in question is Carloman, who instigated the rebellion?

I believe so, Bernard was too young to be anything but a pawn at the time. It gets discussed in more detail later on.

Duke Bernard states that he hasn't seen Volcens for 15 years (in other words, he was exiled in 603). That would suggest the rebellion had ended by then, since Bernard was considered its defacto leader. From that conversation, we can also assume Bernard was pardoned by Mordias roughly 3 years ago (12 years spent in exile + 3 years = 15 years). After that, he was adopted into the house of Diana and took over the dukedom when his adoptive parents died. Then he rose to fame as a military commander who turned the tide in the West.

Here's a map:

tumblr_inline_ornkfncnljq7.png

Apostle Silpha Bronte's assassination triggered the current conflict with the Raze Empire. If you remember Archbishop Lebough's comments in chapter 3, Bronte was killed about 14 years ago. From the game's intro, we know that Reese's journey begins in 618, so that gives us 604-605 as the approximate start of the war. Initially the League had some success in attacking Imperial territory, but they were eventually pushed back to the border at Sakiria. King Mordias himself arrived to the front around 18 months ago (so roughly 616) with fresh troops, but was killed in battle. Once he was dead, the old divisions from the civil war contributed to the situation falling apart. The kingdom of Pesil defected, for example.

Based on the divination that Quescria recalled, the whole situation was instigated as a divide and conquer move to weaken the Berwick League from within.

Volcens' real reason for imprisoning Bernard will be revealed in the next scene, the rebellion is more of a convenient excuse if anything.

Thank you. I though that the civil war was concurrent to the league-empire conflict because of the date given for Bonte's revelation. And I had mixed the other durations.

Also seeing the map, and how Berwick is a small island make me think the Berwick League is inspired by the Delian League, an alliance of Greek city-states, created to fight against the Persian Empire (after it went to fight with Sparta-led Peloponnesian League instead, but that's another story) and also called after a small island situated between the league and the opposing empire.

Endemic

Arcane
Also seeing the map, and how Berwick is a small island make me think the Berwick League is inspired by the Delian League, an alliance of Greek city-states, created to fight against the Persian Empire (after it went to fight with Sparta-led Peloponnesian League instead, but that's another story) and also called after a small island situated between the league and the opposing empire.

The agreement was signed on Berwick Isle, which is where the name comes from in-universe. In real life there are quite a few places called Berwick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick

There's going to be a separate cutscene before the mission which delves a bit more into the history of Lazberia and the two warring factions, so I'll comment more on possible inspirations then.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 94: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Introduction, pt. 3)

part1acjbm.jpg

:lol:

Sienna: I beg of you, Brother... Don't do this to Lord Bernard...

Volcens: Of course you're here about him... It's too late, Sienna. His fate is already decided.

part21fk8g.jpg

Sienna: What?!

Volcens: Don't you understand? Bernard is a grand hero to the people of the western regions. If we do not take action, one day they will raise the banner of rebellion to put him on the throne in my place.

part32ok5g.jpg

Volcens: At one time, I listened to Roswick... but once I considered it carefully, I realised how idiotic I was being. It would be easier to keep a demon in the courtyard than to control a man like Bernard. I have Lord Herman to thank for helping me see that.

Sienna: Herman is plotting against you! He's poisoning your mind, Brother! Can't you understand that?!

Volcens: Hmph, that foolishness again? I have no time to listen to the ravings of a hysterical woman. Leave me.

part449jxi.jpg

She steps closer to Volcens.

Sienna: I won't! Please, Brother!

Volcens [turning sideways]: You stubborn woman... Fine! I will reduce his sentence and spare him... But under one condition.

Sienna: A condition...? ...All right. If it's something I can do...

part52gji5.jpg

Volcens: Now that I recall, Grandfather always did plan for you to marry Bernard... Are you really doing all this just to protect an arranged marriage?

Sienna: .....

Volcens: Ha ha ha... I'm quite relieved. You are just another girl after all...

I see we're going full Crusader Kings now :P Volcens might be a prick, but he's an entertaining prick. We've seen his insecurities about remaining on the throne, and his detachment from actual events on the ground. Now that he's silenced Sienna, imprisoned Bernard and marginalised Roswick, there's no real opposition to Volcens' borderline insanity and paranoia.

Reese returns to his office the next day, wearing a grave expression:

part6ubkvk.jpg

There is a short timeskip as he explains what happened with Bernard.

part7d6k68.jpg

Ward: If Duke Bernard cannot return, it will cause much trouble for your father...

Reese: What can we do?

Ward: This is beyond us, I fear. It is a power struggle among the branches of the royal family... Only the Princess and Duke Roswick would be able to do anything... It is not our place to interfere. For now, we can only look on as these events unfold before us.

Obviously not what Reese wanted to hear. He continues to stare through the window in silence.

part8j7jr5.jpg

A while later:

part94ukiq.jpg

Let's see what Lynette has to say.

part10ank5a.jpg

part11i8jpg.jpg

part12wjjd5.jpg

part13bqjom.jpg

No money this time, just the two horses, which have already been sent to the stables.

part14k7knp.jpg

That comment about their father isn't a good sign, given that he's now been thrust into leadership of an entire army front in less than ideal circumstances. Once the word spreads about Bernard's arrest for treason, it could have knock-on effects for Bernstol to deal with.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 95: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Enid - Magical Knight)

This scene actually appears after the citizen requests, but since it's quite long and contains a lot of worldbuilding, I'll put it here.

part1bxkx7.jpg

Enid is looking through books at the temple library:

part2nzkqh.jpg

Almuth notices her and turns around.

part3yfknh.jpg

Almuth: Oh, forgive me... My name is Almuth. You looked a bit lost... I'm basically a regular here, so I thought I might be able to help.

Enid: Oh, I see... Is there something in particular you're researching here, Almuth?

Almuth: Indeed, there is! I'm looking into the history of this country, and the Berwick League. I'm a student, you see. I'm aiming to become a historian.

Enid: Really? That sounds difficult. Oh, can I ask you something? It's related to history, so maybe you'll be able to tell me...

Almuth: Of course, ask away! That is why I said hello, after all.

part45okej.jpg

Almuth: I know about the origins of magic and its historical uses, but quite little about the art itself.

Enid: Oh, I see... Sorry for putting you on the spot.

Almuth: It's no worry. I wish that I had more to tell you. However, I believe that there are books on magic on the east shelves, if you wish to read about it. If I may ask, what is your interest in the art of magic?

Enid: Well, I... I want to learn how to use it.

Almuth: Ah, I see. Oh, may I ask your name?

part5rcjba.jpg

Enid: No, I'm just an apprentice. These days, all I do is cause Lord Reese and the others trouble...

Almuth: Well, all of us start as beginners. I certainly could not have come as far as I have without learning the basics. If learning magic is your aim, let me share with you a bit of my research. It's about the history of magic. Would you be interested?

Enid: Of course! Please, tell me!

Almuth explains the basics of magic.

part6p7jyg.jpg

We rejoin the scene mid-conversation:

part7raj9x.jpg

Almuth: These orbs are technological artifacts left behind by an ancient civilization... the Sons of God. Or at least, that's what they called themselves back then. The legends say they came to this continent nearly 2000 years ago from the celestial kingdom of Altesia.

part8lwk4c.jpg

Almuth: Indeed. The ability to warp nature is a powerful tool for destruction, and for creation. Only the Sons of God could utilize the power stored in the orbs they created. The intricate "spells" chanted by mages are actually passwords of sorts to release that stored power. But simply knowing the words isn't enough to use one. There are other requirements, as well. It takes intense training to learn to release that power and not have it dissipate, or worse, backfire.

part9e3jyg.jpg

Almuth: Well, it has been millennia... No doubt myriads of people share at least some blood from that era, despite the Old Empire's destruction. Speaking of which, modern magic can be divided into three broad families: dark, light, and anima magic. However, these are but a tiny fraction of the spells the ancients possessed. Unfortunately, knowledge of the techniques or even materials used to craft orbs became lost to time... Though I've heard tell of rumours that this country's alchemy has had major breakthroughs in rediscovering the art.

part1094ku9.jpg

Almuth: Dark magic was used to terrorize and enslave the peoples subjugated by the Lazberian Empire. It can drain life force, cause diseases, induce nightmarish hallucinations, and sorts of things of that ilk. It's only natural that it should be given the name of "dark" magic. Light magic, on the other hand, so named for its shining radiance, has mainly medical applications.

part11omjnn.jpg

Almuth: It is the same magic that is used by the modern Church of Veria. It seems the original Verian clergy were seperatists who rejected Raze's place as the supreme god. However, these early Verians had no means of defending themselves. As I said before, light magic was, and is, only really suited for healing.

part12wdkx1.jpg

Almuth: Indeed it does, but they did not defend themselves. Rather, others defended them. It's said that the Goddess Veria gave her three Chosen Ones power over nature to defend the early Church.

part12_2hojuo.jpg

Almuth: I speak, of course, of anima magic - which continues to be passed down in the lands they founded. The most treasured orbs of anima magic are inherited by the ruling dynasties of these realms.

In-game these spells have the prefix "Pallas", which is another Greek mythology reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallas_(Greek_myth) . The intended usage here is likely πάλλω, meaning "to brandish [as a weapon]".

Almuth: For four and a half centuries, they have stood by the Church of Veria in the Berwick League. ...And that is what history has to say about the origins of magic. The legends, anyway.

Enid: .....Huh? O-Oh, right, I see...

Almuth: Sorry, did I perhaps lose you at some point? I tend to go a bit overboard with my explanations... If you ever want me to go over it again, feel free to ask. I'm nearly always here, after all.

Enid: Thank you. It's a lot to take in, so thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Almuth: It's no trouble at all! Your goal is unique and admirable, and I'd love to help if I am able.

part12_36ykv8.jpg

Almuth: ...I'm just an observer. You and your fellow knights are the ones who truly get to write history.

As Enid leaves the library, she bumps into Perceval:

part12_4aljrr.jpg

Perceval: I thought I might offer my services to the mercenary guild here in town. I'm surprised to see you here at the Temple. You didn't strike me as particularly religious.

Enid: Ah, no, you're right... I was just visiting their library.

Perceval: Oh, what for?

Enid: Well, the truth is...

part13bpj5o.jpg

Enid discusses her interest in magic. A short while later:

part14arjnl.jpg

Perceval: Sure, I've got some free time apart from my mercenary jobs, so we can practice then. The thing is... not everyone can use magic. It's something you're born with. I'll do what I can to show you, but I don't want to get your hopes up... Also, the training's really rough. I've been training for six years, but I'm mediocre at best with thunder and wind magic, and I can't even use fire...

part15x1j5q.jpg

Perceval: All right, then. Starting tomorrow, we'll practice every day. As for where, we need a place out of the way, free of distractions... Know of any good places?

Enid: I think Wale Hill might be good. Follow me, I'll show you.

part165ekqz.jpg

Perceval: All right, I'll start with the basics as they were taught to me. Ready to begin?

Enid: Ready!

Perceval: Okay, come stand here by the cliff, and look out over the sea.

part174fj6s.jpg

Hmm, why does this remind me of using the Force in Star Wars?

Perceval: You're going to do this for at least three hours a day, every day, until you start to notice a change.

Enid: Um... How long will this part of the training last?

Perceval: If you're lucky, about a year or so. If nothing happens after three years, then I doubt anything ever will.

Enid: W-What...? A whole year...at the earliest...?

part1882kjq.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 96: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Citizen requests)

As usual, there are 3 citizen requests for this chapter.

part1ggkx1.jpg

Let's see what Bluck wants first.

part2l7k8o.jpg

Bluck: That I do! Well, not really... Sort of...

Sherlock: You lost me. Do you have any new bows or arrows for sale, or don't you?

Bluck: Let me explain. Y'see, there's this alchemist in Turon by the name of Columban...

Sherlock: An alchemist?

part3dsk5t.jpg

This one's a Japanese mythology reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin . It isn't explicitly stated as such, but it's logical to assume Raijin is one of the gods in the Lazberian pantheon, alongside Veria, Raze, etc.

Sherlock: They're really rare, though.

Bluck: Well, my friend Columban knows how to make Raijin Arrowheads! Though according to him, these might be his last.

Sherlock: What do you mean?

Bluck: Columban's been getting sick. Keeps going on about how he's not long for this world and all that. Anyway, he's been my friend for years, and he's a great alchemist.

Sherlock: .....

Bluck: So out of the blue, he sends me a letter saying he's made his last Raijin Arrowheads, and to come get them!

part4zrjhm.jpg

Bluck: What?! You can't do that! Turon's occupied by Bornia now!

Sherlock: I'm well aware, but my next mission is actually in Turon.

Bluck: Oh, if that's the case... Would you please stop by and get the arrowheads for me, if you can?

Sherlock: Sure. Just tell me where I can find him, and I'll make sure to get them.

Bluck: Columban lives in an old cottage just a bit northwest of the fort at Turon. Give him my best, would you? I'd come if I could, but now that it's become enemy territory...

Sherlock: I understand. I'll be sure to pass on your goodwill.

Bluck: Thanks a lot, Sherlock. You're doing me a big favour here. Take care out there!

The next request takes place at Alex's tavern:

part5quj7j.jpg

Karmell: Even if I ordered another one, there's just not enough time...

Tianna arrives, and Alex immediately takes notice of her.

part6dkkdf.jpg

Alex: How is it that every time we cross paths, you look even more beautiful than before?

Tianna: Mr. Alex, how is that every time you have a favour to ask, you become so very versed in flattery?

Alex: Flattery? No, I meant every word! Now, what can I get for you? This one's on the house.

Tianna: Oh, Mr. Alex...

She turns to her right and spots Karmell standing at the bar.

part7zukbi.jpg

Karmell: Very pleased to make your acquaintance, madam! My name is Karmell.

Tianna: Karmell... Hmm, I believe I may have seen a production of yours before.

Karmell: 'Tis a privilege to have done so, my fair lady.

Tianna: I see you too are no stranger to Mr. Alex's brand of honeyed words... What troubles are you having?

Alex: Well, it's like this...

Karmell: Alex, we mustn't trouble this young lady with such a trifling matter.

Alex: But what are you planning to do if you don't get her help?

Karmell: Well, you do have a point there...

Tianna: I truly don't mind. Would you share the details of your troubles with me?

Karmell: It's like this... We're based here in Navaron, but we also do tours to towns and villages in the nearby country. However, it seems I accidentally left a costume at one of the towns we visited on our tour. It's an extremely important outfit, as it's worn by the lead actor in our latest production. Without that costume, we can't even put on the play anymore. It's absolutely vital to the show.

He pauses for a moment.

Karmell: For now, I've been looking into hiring some street performers and magicians to replace the act...

part8xwj9v.jpg

Karmell: In these dreary days, people need to remember to smile more than anything, don't you agree? I'd hate to tell my troupe that we have to disband after all this time we've spent together...

Tianna: Do you remember where it was that you forgot your costume?

Karmell: Yes, I'm sure of it. It has to have been when we stayed at an inn in Turon. But now, with things going as they are in Bornia...

Alex: Yes, but Lady Tianna here serves as a secretary for the Knights of Sinon.

part8_2wgkzi.jpg

Tianna: As citizens of the Berwick League, we all have a responsibility to do what we can to help. ...I will ask Lord Reese to see what he can do.

Karmell: Lady Tianna... You have my most sincere gratitude, fair lady!

This trivial-sounding citizen request ties into a subplot later on, the details of which will become evident after the mission.

Last but not least, we see a young boy being harassed by bullies on the street:

part9enj0j.jpg

Red-haired kid: Or are you trying to get another black eye today?

Maris: .....

Auburn-haired kid: You've got it on you, don't you?

Maris: N-No, I can't give you this money...

Red-haired kid: Then I'll take it myself!

He snatches it from Maris's pocket.

Red-haired kid: There, wasn't that easy?

Auburn-haired kid: See you later! Hahaha...

Maris stares into the distance despondently.

part10hzji6.jpg

Some time later, Czene encounters him:

part11x8kv6.jpg

Czene: How terrible... Are you all right? What's your name?

Maris: It's Maris...and I'm fine, but I couldn't stop them from taking all my money...

Czene: What do they look like? I'll go and get your money back for you right now.

Maris: It's just money... Don't worry about it. It's fine...

Czene: It is NOT fine! You can't just stand there and take it when people do things like that!

Maris: But I need to leave soon... I need to get home to Turon...

Czene: Turon... You mean in Bornia?

Maris: Yeah...

Czene: ...You don't want to go there. It's about to become a warzone.

Maris responds with a concerned look.

Czene: ...It seems like you're having some kind of trouble. Tell me about it. Maybe I can help.

Maris: ...When Bornia switched sides, my big sister and I both ran away to come to Navaron.

part11_2ojkap.jpg

Poor kid. An all too common occurrence during warfare, both in this story and in real life conflicts. Czene would certainly know about the running away part, at least.

Maris: I want go to back to our house. There's something there that I want to get... to remember her by.

Czene: And that means going back to Turon...

Maris: Yeah... It's a cap she knitted for me as a present for my birthday.

Czene: But still, it's too dangerous! You could just as easily be killed yourself coming back here!

Maris: .....

Czene: Leave it to me. I'll do it for you.

Maris: Huh?!

Czene: Where can I find your house?

Maris: I-It's just southeast of the town... but you can't mean that you'll--

Czene interrupts him.

Czene: Of course I will! Now, be a good boy and wait here.

part12l8jac.jpg

If you've hired Thaddy at the start of the chapter, he will appear for this citizen request instead of Czene, and the dialogue changes to reflect his character. If both Thaddy and Czene were killed in action prior to chapter 7, the scene doesn't happen, thus the citizen request cannot be completed.

In case I didn't mention it before, any citizen requests involving specific characters (such as the Raijin Arrow one here) require them to be alive for the scenes to even appear in the first place. In addition, requests such as Karmell's may have other preconditions or lead to other events.

Let's have a look at the bounty list:

part136akhb.jpg

part14pfkve.jpg

part153ak60.jpg

So far, so good, 10 of 18 have been dealt with. Up to a certain point, there is at least one bounty per chapter.

The other major ongoing side objective is to bring Erzheimer the items he wants for his collection.

part16lnkcw.jpg

part176akov.jpg

part18b9kha.jpg

Only 5 of 18 have been retrieved so far. Fortunately, all but the General Shield, Imperial Knight SShd, Wormwood (aka Meteor) and Albatross are dropped by enemies at some point. The Albatross appears only once (in Kramer's mission), so it's the toughest one to get. The General Shield is semi-rare, and I've already missed a couple of chances to obtain it. You really do need something like the Bolt Knife to capture enemies reliably, so I'll be working on that this chapter.

Next update, I'll cover new equipment and preparations for the rescue mission in Turon.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 97: Chapter 7 - Rescue Mission (Equipment and preparations)

part1z9jbi.jpg

Back to 10 deployment slots again, but before I decide who to take for the mission, I'll review the new equipment available this chapter.

part2w5k3m.jpg

Like the scimitar, the Shamshir is another curved sword originating from the Middle East\Central Asia region (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamshir). Here it's classified as a blade, and is as strong as the mithril sword, but at a lower cost and with lower accuracy. If you're looking for high single-hit damage, it may be a worthwhile purchase.

part365ji6.jpg

As mentioned in a previous update, the Lady Sword is very helpful for training the female characters. It's only available once every three chapters, so use them wisely.

part4clkh1.jpg

Very accurate, good crit chance, decent durability. One of the best knife options for Thaddy and Czene, well worth the cost.

part531k2m.jpg

The Limit Shield is a great all-rounder in the medium class, the only drawback being the high level requirement. Like with other high-end gear, it's limited in availability.

part6c4ksp.jpg

Same deal as with the sword equivalent. Although with only two female knights currently present, and Ruby getting medium shields upon promotion, I prefer to save them for Larentia.

part7askct.jpg

As with its real life equivalent, the Javelin is a large throwing spear, more powerful than the pilum. It's also heavier and you can only stack 6 of them, but they're still relatively good value.

part8h9k22.jpg

The Doru is another historical weapon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dory_(spear)), with the stat bonuses being a nod to the phalanx formation. Strangely it's less accurate here than most other spears, which is an odd decision. If I was better acquainted with the Berwick modding tools (they're Japanese-only), I'd buff the accuracy and increase the purchase cost.

part9k8keh.jpg

A discount Mjolnir; it's not a bad substitute given that enemy resistance to magic is close to zero most of the time.

part10erk0z.jpg

The bow variant of the "killer" type weapons has a lower crit chance, but is lighter and more accurate than the longbow\composite bow. This does come at a high price though, and right now only Sylvis can use it proficiently due to being rank 15.

part1133kgw.jpg

Accurate, hard-hitting, light by crossbow standards, good crit chance... however, the major drawback with the Killer Crossbow is its low longevity, so you must make every shot count. It's a bit cheaper than the killer bow, at least.

part13qgk5j.jpg

Elixirs restore the user's health to full for a relatively high price. They aren't cost-efficient compared to healing magic, and it's unlikely for characters to have more than 40hp in the first place.

part14ymkdf.jpg

Lastly, there are two new materials available for purchase. I'll be picking up the yew wood after the mission for crafting Rossweisse.

Battle Party

Perceval turned out be quite effective last chapter, and I do want to get him to level 7 for using lightning, so I'll hire him:

part15uyji3.jpg

I could take Clifford, but I want to get Arthur up to level 10 and he's also cheaper (1300). Sherpa (2200) can break down gates quickly with his brymranger, and counter + guard will come in handy for escorting allies. Volo's deathmatch is always an asset when you're outnumbered, so I'll take him along for 2450. Finally, Owen (850) can take care of healing duties, as his drawback isn't as much of an issue on escape missions. Czene and Sherlock need to come along for citizen requests, Elbert can be the tank as usual, and I'll take Christine over Sylvis for the added mobility (being free doesn't hurt either).

The Kingfisher's menu for this chapter doesn't really have any outstanding options:

part165wkom.jpg

Chevon is French for goat meat, incidentally. The wide range of dishes and their descriptions give me the impression someone at Tirnanog really liked their foreign cuisine (Stuffat Tal-Fenek, aka Maltese rabbit stew, is pretty obscure). Anyway, the roast chevon boosts hp by 4 for the chapter, so I'll give it to Reese and Volo.

I left a free seat, as I want to give someone else a boost for a side mission later in this chapter. Elbert, Sherlock, Christine, Perceval and Arthur have the Scallop Meuniere (scallops are a type of shellfish: https://www.food.com/recipe/sea-scallops-with-sauce-meuniere-338594). That gives +3 hp and +5 accuracy (+8 accuracy for Sherlock).

After that, there is still ~27k left to work with. I buy a killer knife for Czene, a longbow and some bronze+ arrows for Sherlock, and 4 extra vulneraries to distribute. Arthur and Sherlock get replacement thin horses; since I'm out of captured ones, I put down 1000 for an extra.

part17usjbz.jpg

Overview

part18nyk4u.jpg

Reese is doing pretty well so far; I threw him a spare shield and sword just in case, as the rapier and Gram are close to breaking.

part195ujqq.jpg

Elbert keeps most of his gear from last chapter. The longspear and shortsword probably won't be necessary but can be traded to others if the need arises. He'll get shieldfaire from reaching level 11, which is a nice boost to survivability.

part20upj2s.jpg

Some of Christine's inventory was split off for Sherlock, and she can switch to the Gastraphetes if her iron crossbow breaks.

part21t2k9z.jpg

I've fallen behind on training Sherlock up to promotion, he's still 9 levels short. Fortunately, there will be plenty of targets in the next few missions.

part22dlkda.jpg

Same setup for Perceval, focused on buffing his accuracy as much as possible. With the +10 from Reese's command radius, he'll be at 93 to hit which is a dramatic improvement from when he first joined.

part23ezk85.jpg

Arthur is holding all of my medium shields; he'll be getting a lot of practice with them. Once he reaches level 10, I can use the Estoc+flourish combination which is quite effective for injuring enemies.

part24bnjjn.jpg

Deathmatch burns through swords quickly, so Volo has 4 of them. The rapier will be reserved for heavily armoured soldiers.

part25brkhd.jpg

Czene is looking much more capable with that new knife. Ideally she gets a level before the end of the mission.

part26fgk0t.jpg

Sherpa has something similar to his chapter 5 equipment, although I threw in a spare verian sword in case the shortsword and estoc break.

part27vuk8u.jpg

Owen has the usual healing setup, with a fire orb in his bag just in case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom