Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Conquests of the Longbow

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Day 4: Poachers and Lovers

Previously:

index.php
You will learn what you will learn. Take this silver comb. When you give this to her, she'll know we have spoken and that you've joined us to save the King.

index.php
You pursue two treasures, eh, Master? For on the morrow, you may at last exchange more than a fleeting word with this dream maiden of yours.

index.php
Aye, and though I love my King, I shall not say which treasure I pursue with more eagerness!

This is yet another short-playing day.

scidhuv_118.png

scidhuv_119.png

On the way out, Will has a few words.

index.php
Morning, Will. Any news?

index.php
All's quiet. John might be at the Overlook.

index.php
I'll be about if you need me.

Says he just before vanishing completely out of the game for the rest of the day
index.php

(this is so going to be my new :angrycodextroll: replacement emoticon)

He's also wrong, John's not at the Overlook, but it's the game's subtle way of telling you you really should go there before trying to find Marian. It's not essential, but you do miss on another good deed if you don't go.

scidhuv_120.png

As usual, we don't have to wait for long.

scidhuv_121.png

Once again, Robin Hood rides in to rescue the oppressed.

scidhuv_122.png

index.php
Hold. I would know why this man is bound?

0hodge.png
It's none of your affair, but he's a poacher.

This is Hodge. The portrait is similar to Jack's (the guard we killed on day 1) because the game uses the same sprite, but he's obviously another guard.

0poacher.png
H'rah! I know you! You're Robin Hood! Show this bully behind me who's the true master of Sherwood Forest.

0hodge.png
Shut up, you! Or I'll kill you now and save myself a lot of trouble.

0hodge.png
Robin Hood, eh? Your head'll fetch me a fine reward.

index.php
'Tis your head that's in greater peril.

I must say I love the game's writing. It's not over the top but it crystallizes each character's personality in very few lines.

0hodge.png
All you outlaws are cowards. D'you think I'd run from the likes of you?

index.php
Not when it takes such great courage to arrest a man whose only crime is hunger.

0hodge.png
He killed one of the King's deer. The law says he must die.

index.php
It's the Sheriff's greed and the illegal taxes he collects that drive the people to such desperate measures.

0hodge.png
Phagh! What do I care? I order you to surrender yourself at once.

index.php
Release your prisoner.

0hodge.png
Put down your bow and maybe I'll let you live long enough to be hanged.

index.php
By my troth, you're the most arrogant of all the Sheriff's Men I've ever encountered.

index.php
And that is very arrogant indeed.

0hodge.png
And you're nothing but a mewling, milk-sucking outlaw.

index.php
'Tis my guess you seek to provoke me into a mistake.

0hodge.png
Aye, better than standing here all day. But hear this.

0hodge.png
If you nock an arrow at me, I'll just step behind this man and let him take it instead. No archer can be quicker than that.

index.php
You think not? It means only that you've never faced Robin Hood.

0poacher.png
I trust you, Robin Hood. Do what you must.

0hodge.png
Shut up!

Stupidity time!

As with every single other instances of this kind, the game is kind enough to warn you once, warn you twice... and then kill you off if you're stubborn. Should Robin leave and come back:

scidhuv_123.png

0hodge.png
Right enough. I still look forward to the Wolf's Head I'll collect for bringing you in.

And on the third time...

scidhuv_124.png

index.php
Halt where you are or--

scidhuv_125.png

Yep, this is Roger, the same guard who shoots you on day 1 if you keep coming back (and incidentally, also one of the 2 guards who arrest you in the pub if you go there with no disguise)

index.php
I got him! It's a good thing I came up the road to find you.

0hodge.png
Fine work. Won't the Sheriff be amazed when we bring in the body of Robin Hood.

index.php
What, carry the whole thing?

0hodge.png
Nay, I guess the head'll be enough. G'wan, cut it off.

index.php
Me? You cut it off.

0hodge.png
You're a gutless helding, Roger.

0hodge.png
All right, I'll do it and this poacher here can carry it.

0poacher.png
Alas! Alas for poor Robin Hood, for myself, for all good men and--

0hodge.png
Oh, shut up. If he was so smart, he wouldn't be dead.

I love the game's not-terribly-veiled way of insulting you when you do something stupid.

index.php

Before reaching the inevitable conclusion, we can try bribing the guard to let the poacher go.

index.php
How much silver will it take to buy this man's freedom?

Robin puts on his friendly face.

0hodge.png
The only money I want is the Wolf's Head I'll earn by bringing you in.

index.php
And what is the Wolf's Head upon me these days?

0hodge.png
The Sheriff's now offering 300 marks!

index.php
That's a fair bit of gold, but I can match the offer.

0hodge.png
Aye, with money you've stolen from the tax-collectors! I'd be hard put to explain it.

0hodge.png
I mean to have the Sheriff's job one day and I'll never get that by making deals with outlaws.

0hodge.png
Keep your money. I want only your neck in a noose.

Well no one can claim I didn't try to ensure he'd survive this encounter. Now let's see if he can truly be fast enough to hide behind the poacher.

scidhuv_126.png

scidhuv_127.png

Too slow, way too slow.

0poacher.png
By the Virgin, that was masterly shooting!

I wish this game had a :smugrobin: portrait.

scidhuv_128.png

index.php
Hold still, fellow. I'll have you untied in a thrice.

0poacher.png
I will, believe me. What shooting! I'll never forget this day.

0poacher.png
I thank you heartily. Is it safe to return for my deer?

index.php
You'd best not return. We know better how to smuggle such a thing close to town.

scidhuv_129.png

Robin uses the horn calls his men.

scidhuv_130.png

index.php
Lads, this fellow's had a lucky day, saved from a poacher's fate.

index.php
Will some of you now help him bring his deer to his family?

index.php
Will and I will fetch the deer, Robin.

index.php
But what of this other carrion?

index.php
Though he scarcely deserves it, bring a shroud and bury him.

index.php
'Tis the only Christian thing to do.

index.php
Fie, he's on his way to Hades anyway. Well, leave it to us.

scidhuv_131.png

Just as with the peasant woman, giving a farthing to the poacher after rescuing him nets us some points, not to mention it'll make him even more indebted to Robin. As with the woman, this plays into the ending.

scidhuv_132.png

index.php
One more thing.

index.php
Take this money to forestall another trip into the forest.

scidhuv_133.png

index.php
I'll do what I can to change that.

0poacher.png
If ever I can be of service to you, you have but to ask.

scidhuv_134.png

That's it for the day's Overlook event. However, we still have our meeting with Marian.

scidhuv_135.png

Of course, in his dream Robin sees her dancing in the willow grove, so this is the logical place to look for her.

I cannot stress how beautiful the music is, throughout the game. Seibert and Allen really outdid themselves. You can listen to most of it here, recorded on an MT-32.

scidhuv_136.png

index.php
Bring no weapons into this sacred place.

index.php
If you wish it, my Lady, I will gladly lay them down.

scidhuv_137.png

Robin lays down his arms and stands in the center of the grove with Marian.

index.php
I'm most pleased to see you again. I beg you to stay longer this time.

index.php
That will depend upon you, for I've yet to decide if I may fully trust you.

index.php
There are so many things I wish to know about you--

index.php
There will be time for that later....if I decide to trust you.

She's obviously waiting for a sign that we've met with Lobb and have joined with him and the Queen against John. In other words, for the silver comb.

scidhuv_138.png

index.php
So you have spoken to Lobb! He wouldn't have given you this token unless you'd agreed to join us.

index.php
Marian, I love my King as well as any loyal subject.

index.php
I'll do everything in my power to save him and to raise as much ransom as I can.

index.php
Seizing the stolen treasure that Prince John sends to the Abbot will be more than enough.

index.php
Of course, sweet lady, but you'll not begrudge me the thought of raising more, if the means presents itself.

index.php
I like not that you think only of stealing.

index.php
You wound me! I steal only from those corrupted curs who grow fat upon the suffering of others.

index.php
Then, noble Robin, I beg your pardon and urge you to be a wolf among curs that we may save a lion.

index.php
But now I must speak more seriously. The Prince suspects that we move against him.

index.php
He has many spies watching the Queen and those who serve her, so we must act with great caution.

index.php
What do you know of the monks from the fens such as the one who attacked me?

index.php
Little enough, save that for that one deed alone they've earned my hatred.

index.php
They're hand-picked men who serve Prince John. Each was a soldier. John has bidden them to form a monastic order to cover their true dealings in his behalf.

index.php
Already, they've stolen an object that is vital to my plans. I must have it back before we can make another move.

index.php
What is it?

index.php
A simple scroll upon which is drawn the outline of a hand.

index.php
This is of such import that we must have it?

index.php
I wouldn't ask it otherwise.

This is obviously much more than a "simple" scroll.

index.php
Then I'll fetch it back for you.

index.php
I cannot tell you how glad you make me, for I'd despaired of ever finding a way.

index.php
Glad enough to reward me with a kiss?

He never gives up does he.

index.php
Perhaps....when you've earned one.

index.php
When you have the Hand Scroll, return here. I'll be waiting.

Now that she trusts Robin, let's talk to her again.

index.php
Now that you've found me worthy of your trust, won't you tell me more of yourself?

index.php
You know I serve the Queen and work to save the King. What else matters?

index.php
As beautiful as you are, surely you have--there must be....

index.php
I'm as tongue-tied as a young boy.

He'd fit right in the Codex GD girlfriends threads.

index.php
Suitors? I'm not betrothed to another man.

index.php
Nor anyone for whom you care?

index.php
You're most forward.

index.php
A man must be, when the prize is precious beyond measure.

index.php
You've a glib tongue. I fear you may be a rake bent on nothing more than a challenging seduction.

index.php
Milady, if my heart could speak, you'd know otherwise.

index.php
Then find a way, Robin Hood.

This should be obvious. Considering how the emerald half-heat made it into Robin's possession, it's at least worth showing it to her.

scidhuv_139.png

index.php
Blessed Lady! How did you come by this?

index.php
I dreamt of you. You danced in a circle, within this very grove.

index.php
You saw the Spiral Dance?

index.php
When you reached the center, you vanished and left this behind. I awoke and found it clutched in my hand.

index.php
You're trembling. I don't mean to frighten you--

index.php
It WAS you! I also dreamt, but I couldn't see you. I danced and felt you watching, but I wasn't afraid.

index.php
I felt...they were the eyes of my true love.

index.php
Ever since I saw you, I hoped--you see, I also found a token when I awoke.

Curiouser and curiouser.

index.php
And mine is half a heart, like yours...but made of diamond. Look!

scidhuv_140.png

Let our powers combine!

scidhuv_141.png

index.php
Did you create this?

index.php
It can only be a gift from the Blessed Lady, the Virgin-Queen of Heaven whom I serve.

index.php
I'm a priestess of the ancient powers. I dance the Spiral Dance for the health and regeneration of the forest.

index.php
Did you feel the renewing force of the emerald and diamond joined? Together, they could heal any hurt.

This is a VERY important piece of information that will be called on much, much later.

index.php
I felt it, as surely as I feel my love for you.

index.php
Will you pledge yourself to me, Marian?

index.php
By these tokens of love, I plight my troth to you. But the fulfillment of our love must wait.

index.php
Before an outlaw and forest-priestess can be free to marry, King Richard must return.

index.php
I fear you're right. I can offer you neither home nor safety unless I can win the King's pardon.

index.php
Your love is all I ask. Guard the emerald, keep it safe. 'Tis half my own heart you have in your hands.

index.php
I must go now. Be most careful in dealing with the monks. I'll pray for your success.

scidhuv_142.png

And with that she leaves. Robin can pick up his weapons and leave as well.

scidhuv_143.png

This game makes it seem like finding true love really is easy, just get drunk, dance in the forest, and you'll dream of each other.

scidhuv_144.png

scidhuv_145.png

index.php
Well, treasure-seeker, you've been uncommon quiet upon the lady's virtues now that you've truly met her.

index.php
Aye, you've told us of this mission you must undertake and the odd scroll she wants you to find.

index.php
But of Marian herself you say nothing.

index.php
Perhaps he knows you'd wrap it up into some bit of bawdy nonsense, using song and lute to torment us, as indeed you do each night.

index.php
Why, you pizzle-nosed wretch! I could sing the angels down from the heavens--

index.php
And the skirts over a wench's head!

index.php
Yet for all my skill I could not charm a maid to glance twice at you. And you, eaten with envy at my boyish looks and honeyed voice--

index.php
Envy! Of a beardless bardling who crows like a scrawny rooster?

I love the evening banter.

index.php
Cease, lads! If I say naught of Marian, 'tis only because words fail me.

index.php
She is beauty beyond poem or song. Whatever she asks, I will do.

index.php
Od's Blood, this sounds serious, lads. Our Robin is well and truly smitten!

index.php
A toast to your mission, then, with all the rewards that success may bring.

The next couple of days are looooooooong and may be split into multiple updates. This is where the game really picks up in terms of things to do and puzzle-solving.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
index.php
Glad enough to reward me with a kiss?

He never gives up does he.

index.php
Perhaps....when you've earned one.

get cucked

robin hood frowns upon these womanly shenanigans
index.php

Drakron

Arcane
index.php
It can only be a gift from the Blessed Lady, the Virgin-Queen of Heaven whom I serve.

index.php
I'm a priestess of the ancient powers. I dance the Spiral Dance for the health and regeneration of the forest.

Christianity doesnt work that way ...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This might be stretching it, but she doesn't actually say "Mary" and maybe the Blessed Lady is a reference to the sacred feminine of The Da Vinci Code and Wicca fame...

Drakron

Arcane
This might be stretching it, but she doesn't actually say "Mary" and maybe the Blessed Lady is a reference to the sacred feminine of The Da Vinci Code and Wicca fame...

Hardly, this game come out in 1991 and that book come out over a decade later, of course Wicca is older and its roots are far older but again, this is at best Druidism in the 12th century and Witchcraft at the worst, in case you forgot this was set during the 3rd Crusade.

I find Robin with tits more possible that Marion the Witch.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hardly, this game come out in 1991 and that book come out over a decade later, of course Wicca is older and its roots are far older but again, this is at best Druidism in the 12th century and Witchcraft at the worst, in case you forgot this was set during the 3rd Crusade.

I find Robin with tits more possible that Marion the Witch.
Of course I wasn't suggesting it was based on The Da Vinci Code; I was just making a comparison with a well-known example. Dan Brown's ideas all existed decades before. In particular, Robert Graves 1947 book The White Goddess popularized the concept of the sacred feminine. Yes, this New Age neo-paganism would have been anachronistic for the late 12th century, but not for 1991.

Anyway, I admitted I was grasping at straws in the previous comment and don't want to derail the thread any longer.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Hardly, this game come out in 1991 and that book come out over a decade later
Brown openly plagiarized much, much older material, including copying almost-verbatim from Holy Blood, Holy Grail, the same book that Gabriel Knight 3 heavily references with its plot (except that Jensen actually cites her sources because she's not a hack like Brown). Of course Holy Blood, Holy Grail itself was compiling previously-known opinions and theories.

Besides it's pretty obvious the Lady of the Forest is druidic stuff. And with how much stuff in Christianity is directly taken from pagan and druidic ritualism, it fits to have 12th century druid rituals mix both Christian and the older duridic lore.

Anyway update incoming.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Day 5: Monks and Drunks

This is a loooooooooooooong update because there are a ton of things to do in this day. The best part? EVERY SINGLE ACTION I am going to show you is ENTIRELY optional. You don't need to do any of it to complete the game. Of course it introduces several characters who are central to the plot, and you do need to do everything as shown to get the best ending, but it's amazing that so many locations, puzzles and gameplay were coded in even though some plays might not ever see them. Nowadays this kind of thing is a major selling point.

scidhuv_146.png

Alan is the only one around this morning.

scidhuv_147.png

index.php
Where's Tuck? Is there no breakfast?

index.php
He's gone off to visit the Widow, yet again.

index.php
He claims he's only interested in her wool, but I suspect he's doing a bit of wool-gathering, if you know what I mean.

index.php
At any rate, you're on your own. Tah!

Unfortunately, Tuck is with the widow on much more serious matters.

scidhuv_148.png

index.php
What is amiss? Good woman, why do you weep so?

index.php
Oh, my heart! If they hang my beautiful boys....it will burst of grief!

index.php
Her sons were arrested, all three of them! Someone betrayed them to the Sheriff.

index.php
I swear by the Virgin Mary, I'll do all in my power to save your sons from the hangman's rope.

index.php
I cannot speak! Oh, my sons, my beautiful sons!

index.php
You go ahead. The widow needs my comfort for a short while yet.

We can try to call a council and mount a rescue operation!

scidhuv_149.png

index.php
Aye, Tuck?

index.php
This good woman is most grievously upset. Let me tend to her but a while longer.

index.php
But we should not trouble her with councils of war.

index.php
I yield to your wisdom. I'll go elsewhere before I wind my horn again.

Instead we can go back to the camp and use the horn there.

scidhuv_150.png

But only Will shows up.

index.php
The Widow's sons are in terrible danger.

index.php
I've heard. I mean to round up the other men and discuss strategies.

index.php
While I'm gone, you could take my watch on the Overlook and think on how we might fetch her sons out of the Castle dungeons alive.

Everyone's pretty useless and we're on our own. I remember there was a way to mount a rescue operation with the Merry Men but I think this is only possible if you fail at everything I'm doing today, as none of the plans are optimal. Regardless, Will does give a hint where to go next.

scidhuv_151.png

Sure enough there's an event at the Overlook. Actually not one but two! That's because the full events of days 5 and 6 are completely interchangeable, with no penalty at all. For a goody run it makes more sense to rescue the widow's sons ASAP, so we'll stop the Abbey monk today and deal with the fens monk tomorrow.

scidhuv_152.png

index.php
Top of the day to you, Brother.

0monk.png
Th-thank you. Ahrum...did you want something?

index.php
What brings you along Watling Street?

0monk.png
Ahm...uhm.. I'm not really supposed to discuss it with strangers--

index.php
But no one would miss you for quite some time...if you didn't return.

0monk.png
Oh, mercy! Don't hurt me.

index.php
Why, I've done nothing but talk to you. There's no need to panic....yet.

0monk.png
You w-wouldn't harm a man of the cloth, would you, sir?

index.php
And how is it that a man of the cloth requires so much cloth to cover his enormous belly?

index.php
What of those who go hungry while you eat well?

0monk.png
Urhmm...well...uhmm....

index.php
And those who are forced to toil upon the Abbot's grandiose Abbey under threat of excommunication?

0monk.png
Ahm...urhm...you'd really have to...uhm...take that up with His Grace.

index.php
Feh. What a useless bloody conversation this is.

0monk.png
Aye, aye, you're right. M-may I go now?

index.php
I'll think about it.

0monk.png
Don't harm me, I beg you. I'm only a poor, helpless monk.

index.php
I grow weary of this tired refrain.

0monk.png
Have Mercy!

If you get close to him, he actually drops on his knees.

scidhuv_153.png

index.php
Don't be a fool. I'm not even close to you.

0monk.png
Don't hurt me! I beg you, don't hurt me.

index.php
Don't be a fool. I scarcely touched you. You've the spine of an earthworm.

0monk.png
I've nothing to please an outlaw, neither gold nor silver. Have mercy!

On the other hand, he does have something else we could use...

index.php
Come now, there's no need for such fear.

0monk.png
Th-there isn't? I may go my way?

index.php
Nay, you have something I desire greatly--your robe.

0monk.png
B-b-b-b-but--

index.php
Is that a problem?

0monk.png
Oh, nay. Whatever you want. The robe is yours, if you'll just spare me!

index.php
That's better. A visit to my camp will refresh you. You can learn the value of good, honest labor.

0monk.png
Have mercy!

Who needs Good Cop Bad Cop when Robin can play both at once.

scidhuv_154.png

As you can gather, Tuck may like his food but he has no love for the greedy monks of Nottingham, and puts this one to work.

0monk.png
Have mercy! Oh, good Friar, how can you consort with these thieves and rogues?

0monk.png
Take me to town and the Abbot will reward you well.

index.php
Keep chopping, or I'll reward you with the flat of my blade again.

scidhuv_155.png

Robin comes out, his disguise complete.

0robinmonk.png
Bless you, my son. Take good care of our guest. I'm off to Watling Street.

index.php
When he's finished with this, I'll take him out to gather more firewood to chop.

index.php
He'll know the true meaning of honest work when I'm done with him.

0monk.png
Have mercy!

scidhuv_156.png

Now that Robin has his disguise, he can enter Nottingham. First, let's try a direct approach and get into the castle.

scidhuv_157.png

Let's try to get past the guard to see the prisoners.

0robinmonk.png
Good sir, please allow me to administer to those poor souls in your dungeon.

index.php
They're only outlaws.

0robinmonk.png
Are they not lost sheep? Surely you would not send them to their deaths unshriven?

index.php
It's not for me to say. I have orders. No one is to be admitted.

0robinmonk.png
I ask you again to let me shrive those unfortunate souls in your dungeon before they are hung.

index.php
Sorry, I have my orders.

index.php
Of course...I have been persuaded to bend the rules a bit, from time to time.

He's of course not so subtly asking to be bribed. The usual one-farthing will not work here, as the guards are a greedy bunch. 3 farthings will do the trick though.

scidhuv_158.png

0robinmonk.png
My son, I cannot bear the thought that any man, even those villainous outlaws the Sheriff plans to hang, should go to his death unshriven.

0robinmonk.png
Will this move you to compassion, so that I may go to the dungeon and administer unto them?

index.php
I'm deeply moved, Brother. Your plea has touched me.

What an asshole.

index.php
Roger! Giles!

scidhuv_159.png

scidhuv_160.png

It just occurred to me that, at this point, Jack is dead. He's the guard who was trying to rape the peasant woman on day 1.

Oh and spoiler alert: notice something odd about the right side of the screen?

0giles.png
You'll have to do it through the trapdoor.

0robinmonk.png
At least allow me to hear their sins alone. You can wait for me upstairs.

0jack.png
Sorry, can't leave you alone in here. Get on with it.

Unfortunately they won't leave, but we can still talk to the prisoners and hint that help is on the way.

scidhuv_161.png

scidhuv_162.png

index.php
But that's--

He might be young, and he might be impuslive, but Dicken is the one who actually figures it out.

index.php
A Hooded Man! Aye, we see you now, 'Brother' and with glad eyes. What would you say to us?

0robinmonk.png
That salvation may yet be yours if you will follow my path.

index.php
Wherever you lead us, 'Brother', we will follow, if God wills.

0robinmonk.png
Aye, if God wills, for it is my duty to lead you from the darkness into the light, and I shall not fail in my duty even should the devil himself block my path.

0jack.png
That's enough. Shrive their souls and be done with it.

0robinmonk.png
Have faith, my sons. Domine dirige nos.

That's something like "God directs us", in case you were wondering.

scidhuv_163.png

There's no way to get back in, as the guard won't accept more bribes. We'll have to figure out a strategy. For now, since we have monk robes, why not go visit the abbey.

scidhuv_164.png

scidhuv_165.png

I love the unfinished details on this painting.

Robin knocks on the door and gets admitted.

scidhuv_166.png

0robinmonk.png
Of course, Brother.

scidhuv_167.png

Some locations in the game open up this kind of map. There are 4 rooms of interest here: the main knave, the abbot's room to the right (locked), the refectory on the left, and the small laundry room across the entrance.

scidhuv_168.png

Let's start with the refectory.

scidhuv_169.png

Well well look who's here.

People usually think of the sheriff as the antagonist in some of the Robin Hood stories, but in this version, the Abbot is far more vile.

0robinmonk.png
Could I be of service to you, Your Grace?

0abbot.png
Aye, that you can, Brother.

0abbot.png
This bloody puzzle box is driving me mad and I'm down to my last mug of ale.

0abbot.png
Trot over to the pub and get me more of his most potent brew.

0robinmonk.png
Forgive my ignorance, but why don't you simply break open the box?

0abbot.png
Because it's too well made, that's why.

0abbot.png
And besides, it's supposed to contain a magic ring, a perfect ruby set in flames made of gold, and I'll not take any chances on damaging it.

0abbot.png
Not that it's any of your business. Be on your way.

0robinmonk.png
Shall I take the empty cask with me, Your Grace?

0abbot.png
Fie, who cares? For what that innkeeper charges me, he can afford to lose a few casks.

0abbot.png
But make sure you bring back his best ale. None of that poisonous scrumpy cider stuff.

0robinmonk.png
Pardon me, but how shall I pay for it? I notice you have your purse--

0abbot.png
Enough addle-pated questions! He'll bill me as he always does. Now be off with you.

As is often the case in this game, the in-and-out repetition is not wise.
0abbot.png
Where's my ale?

0robinmonk.png
Your pardon, I decided to take the cask after all.

0abbot.png
You nedget! Your head is as empty as the cask. Take it and hurry up!

And upon leaving and coming back a third time...

scidhuv_170.png

0robinmonk.png
Your pardon, I--

0abbot.png
SILENCE! You are beyond excuse!

0abbot.png
Brothers, take him out and defrock him!

scidhuv_171.png

index.php
Aye, without a hood, the Hood was revealed.

index.php
It wasn't hard to knock down a few soft monks, if only that patrol of soldiers hadn't been nearby.

index.php
He might still have won the fight if not for their crossbows.

index.php
Alas, their quarrels ended his quarrel.

index.php

The puns, the puns!
Before leaving, we take the empty cask.

scidhuv_172.png

And of course, this creates a slight variation on the previous game over.

0abbot.png
Well, where's my ale?

0robinmonk.png
Ah, the ale. I knew I'd forgotten something.

0abbot.png
Show your wretched face here again without a full cask and I'll have you defrocked!

Third time's the charm.

scidhuv_173.png

0monk.png
Nay, Your Grace, it's still empty.

0abbot.png
Then take him out and defrock him!

scidhuv_171.png

index.php

index.php
It wasn't hard to knock down a few soft monks, if only that patrol of soldiers hadn't been nearby.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Enough fooling around for now.
With the cask we leave the abbey and go to the pub

scidhuv_174.png

scidhuv_175.png

I didn't catch this well in the screenshot, but there's a bucket that gets lowered through roof right near the bar, and whenever it does the innkeeper puts some drinks in it.

scidhuv_176.png

Robin can ask him about it.

0robinmonk.png
Innkeeper, what's the meaning of the lowered bucket?

0innkeeper.png
The soldiers lower it from the castle walls with money in it and I fill it with ale which they haul back up.

Anyway we're here to return the empty cask and grab a new one, so let's do that.

scidhuv_177.png

0robinmonk.png
I believe this empty cask belongs to you.

0innkeeper.png
Well, well, much appreciated, Brother. You're the only Monk who's bothered to do me this service.

0innkeeper.png
Hold fast while I fetch you a full one.

0innkeeper.png
Here's a new cask. Did the Abbot send payment?

0robinmonk.png
Ummm...nay, he--

0innkeeper.png
Never mind. You were kind enough to bring the cask. But remind him that the bill is overdue.

0robinmonk.png
I shall, gladly.

0innkeeper.png
If you're in a hurry to get back, signal me from the cellar door and I'll let you in so's you can go back the short way.

0robinmonk.png
What sort of signal?

0innkeeper.png
Like you're trying to open it. That'll be enough.

My my, a secret passage. How convenient. And how decadent, when you think of it. It's there for the abbot to get drunk without the rest of the populace noticing his whereabouts. Not even the sheriff knows about this, as you can gather from hints later in the game.

Anyway it's becoming obvious the innkeeper doesn't particularly like the monks or the abbot (or the sheriff, but that'll be more obvious later). Being friendly and helpful to him tremendously improves his disposition towards Robin. If you don't return the cask, or if you're a dick to him, he'll not help you with the secret passage. More importantly, if he doesn't like you he won't help on day 10, which is critical to the choice of ending, as you'll see.

0innkeeper.png
Perhaps you haven't been with this order long enough to learn the Abbot's bad habits. I hope you don't.

0robinmonk.png
I assure you, I have no desire to be like the Abbot.

0innkeeper.png
If you bring back that cask when it's empty, I'll be most pleased.

We'll be doing that later.

But for now, let's go back to the good old days of the bad ending in Heart of China and get drunk!

0innkeeper.png
What's this for? I filled your cask.

0robinmonk.png
I'd like a mug for myself.

0robinmonk.png
That quenches the thirst well.

More drinks!

0innkeeper.png
It's about time the Abbot sent some money.

0robinmonk.png
Nay, that's my own money.

0innkeeper.png
Oh, very well.

scidhuv_178.png

scidhuv_179.png

More! More! More!

scidhuv_178.png

scidhuv_179.png

After about six drinks, guards come in.

scidhuv_180.png

0roger.png
Innkeeper, we want mugs of your best.

0giles.png
Aye, let's toast to Prince John.

0robinmonk.png
How dare you toast that worm, that snake who slithers in the muck?

0giles.png
Shut up, drunkard!

0robinmonk.png
Death to John the Traitor! God Save King Richard!

0roger.png
Just for that, you'll spend a night in the dungeon!

scidhuv_181.png

index.php
Well, I wouldn't have stood still for toasting Prince John either!

index.php
Once they had hold of him, it didn't take long to find out who he was.

index.php
The devil took over Robin's tongue, I wager.

index.php
The devil may have him now, I am sad to say.

index.php

Now let's chat to the old guy sitting in the corner.

scidhuv_182.png

0harry.png
Aye, been to the Holy Land, saw Jerusalem, I did.

0harry.png
Killed heathens and watched many a Christian die and the ground run red with blood.

0harry.png
Served with King Richard until he made peace with Saladin and sent us packin' home.

0harry.png
But them days is done. If ye've a mind for a game of Nine Men's Morris, I'm willin' to lighten yer purse.

0robinmonk.png
I'll consider it.

Let's play! (see what I did there?)

0harry.png
You still 'considering', Monk?

0robinmonk.png
Nay, I've decided. I'll accept your challenge.

scidhuv_183.png

0harry.png
If ye care for a wager, I'll wager somethin' worth yer while.

0harry.png
This here chunk of amethyst. Got magick in it, it does.

0harry.png
So, if ye've a mind to win it, bring out yer money.

We can wager any amount of money here, including as low as a single farthing.

0robinmonk.png
Here's my bet, then.

0harry.png
Glad to meet a monk what knows how to open his purse.

0harry.png
I'll be generous and let ye go first, Monk.

This begins a small minigame, which was expected in Sierra adventures of the time. Unlike most of the others however, this one isn't arcadish. Nine Man Morris, is an old, old game, at least a couple of millenia old, and having it played in a pub in the era the game is set in actually makes sense. The game manual has a very nice page on the game and how it's played.

Manual07.jpg

The game basically proceeds in two phases: first each player places all their pieces on the board, then once all pieces are placed you move them in an attempt to create mills and prevent your opponent from creating his own mills. You can gather from the last paragraph that there's a pretty cheesy way to win, by creating two potential mills in such a way that moving one of the pieces back and forth completes either this or that mill. Unfortunately something ate a bunch of my screenshots around this point, so I cannot show the step by step process.

After placing all our pieces, this is what the board looked like.

scidhuv_184.png

If you look closely you can see the strategy. I can move the bottom leftmost piece of the outer square up, then the lower center piece of the center square up, and finally move the center right piece of the inner square down, and I have two semi-mills that are only missing one piece. Now look at the top left piece of the inner square; if I move that down I complete a mill, move it down again to complete the other mill, move it back up to recomplete the first mill... and because of the way the board is set up there is no way the opponent can make his own mill. It doesn't take long before I win.

(It did take quite a bit to find a winning pattern)

0harry.png
Ye've won, monk. Here's yer amethyst.

0robinmonk.png
What is the magic you claim it has?

0harry.png
No claim, but the solemn truth, I swear by the Cross.

0harry.png
Put this into yer mug or goblet, and ye can't get drunk, no matter how much ale or wine ye drink.

0robinmonk.png
But surely you could've found a use for this yourself?

0harry.png
Me? What do I be wantin' wit' a spell that keeps me sober? Don't be a fool.

0harry.png
But be warned, ye can only use it once.

0robinmonk.png
And what then?

0harry.png
It dissolves, is what. A heathen sorceror put his spell on it and that's all I know.

I kinda feel sorry for the poor guy. However, the amethyst will come in handy shortly.

Now how about we do something about that secret passage the innkeeper mentioned. Like go in and explore it. We head for the back door and use it.

scidhuv_185.png

0innkeeper.png
But tell the Abbot it's the last time if he doesn't pay up on his bill.

scidhuv_186.png

Getting into the cellar is easy, getting out, not so much. If you try to yell for the innkeeper to open the door, Robin gives the usual warning.

0robinmonk.png
Hmmm...I could yell for the Innkeeper, but that might draw the attention of some Sheriff's men that just came in as well. Perhaps I should think about it first.

Time to yet again ignore the game's warning and stubbornly get ourselves killed.

0robinmonk.png
INNKEEPER!

0innkeeper.png
Are you a complete dolt? Do you want every Sheriff's man in the pub to hear you?

0innkeeper.png
Now get out of here before someone spots you.

Have I mentioned something about third times?

0robinmonk.png
INNKEEPER!

0roger.png
Say, Innkeeper! You have a Monk locked in your cellar. Come and let him out.

0roger.png
Wait on...there's something odd about you, Monk. Giles, come here! Take a look at this fellow.

scidhuv_187.png

index.php
The Innkeeper was the clever one. He kept his wits and pretended he'd deliberately trapped Robin in the cellar.

index.php
I still don't like him getting the reward for it, though.

index.php
It was Robin's brashness that betrayed him, not the Innkeeper.

index.php
Let us pray Robin finds his rewards in heaven.

index.php

Now let's find that secret passage. The obvious culprits are those ale casks. Three of them are just normal casks wth taps, but if you examine one of them closer...

scidhuv_188.png

Aha!

scidhuv_189.png

scidhuv_190.png

Let's see where it leads.

scidhuv_191.png

You can examine the tunnels. West one first.

0robinmonk.png
It climbs steeply upwards, probably somewhere up into the castle atop this bluff.

We can rush in up the passage and through the door at the end, which is not the best idea at this time.

scidhuv_192.png

0giles.png
Seize him!

scidhuv_193.png

index.php
He didn't get far once the alarm went up.

index.php
The Sheriff's furious over discovering those tunnels. He nearly hung the Abbot next to Robin.

index.php
Would that he had hung the Abbot INSTEAD of Robin.

index.php
Robin should have been quicker or far more careful.

index.php
For once, Much, you have spoken wisely.

index.php
Alas for poor, dead, careless Robin.

index.php
The east passage is the one we're interested in for now.

0robinmonk.png
It seems to go on straight until it vanishes into darkness. By my reckoning, it must run to the east beneath the streets of Nottingham town itself.

And in the direction of the abbey.

scidhuv_194.png

scidhuv_195.png

And the secret door leads us straight to...

scidhuv_196.png

Why hello there Your Grace. Nice set of secret passages you have here.

0abbot.png
Do you have my ale?

0robinmonk.png
Aye, Your Grace.

0abbot.png
Well, don't stand there like a dolt, bring it over at once.

0robinmonk.png
Of course, Your Grace.

0abbot.png
You're slow, but at least you did the task.

scidhuv_197.png

It really should be obvious that saying no to someone like this is not a good idea.

0robinmonk.png
Nay, I think not, if it please Your Grace.

0abbot.png
It doesn't please me at all! You're an arrogant, insulting knave! Get out of my sight!

See how forgiving this game is? It doesn't even kill you outright, and since all this day's events are optional, you can continue playing as normal. Stubbornly coming back, however...

0abbot.png
You again! I told you to get out of my sight. If I see you again, I'll have you defrocked.

Ane one more time...

scidhuv_198.png

0abbot.png
Brothers, take him out and defrock him.

scidhuv_171.png

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

That series of puns is too good not to reuse every single time.
We of course accept.

0abbot.png
Then be seated and we'll see how your stomach fares against mine.

Another monk enters the room at this point.

scidhuv_199.png

0monk.png
Aye, Master.

0abbot.png
Good. Take this infernal box to my room. And leave my door unlocked. I'll be having a nap soon.

0monk.png
Aye, Your Grace.

0abbot.png
And now, let's fill our mugs.

Although this would've been a terrific opportunity for a drinking minigame, this sequence is quite simple. You and the abbot just keep drinking until one of you passes out.

scidhuv_200.png

scidhuv_201.png

Spoiler alert: it's gonna be you.
0robinmonk.png
'tish potent ale indeed. My head shpins....I...I....

Robin passes out.

scidhuv_202.png

0abbot.png
Take'm to 'is cell, Brother.

Unfortunately the monk who just walked in recognizes us.

scidhuv_203.png

0abbot.png
Madonna! Shend f'r'the Sheriff!

scidhuv_204.png

index.php
Robin needed extra help in a drinking bout against someone with the Abbot's vast girth and daily practice.

index.php
It would've been worth the risk, had he been able to outdrink him.

index.php
Aye, there's the matter of that interesting puzzle box he sent to his room.

index.php
A puzzle which, perhaps, will yet be solved.

index.php

The best way to ensure Robin stays sober is, naturally, to cheat outrageously.

0robinmonk.png
That is an exceptionally fine tapestry, Your Grace, but is that a flaw I see in the center?

scidhuv_205.png

While the abbot is looking back, Robin slips the amethyst into his own drink.

0abbot.png
What flaw? I don't see a flaw. Must be something wrong with your eyes.

0robinmonk.png
I believe you're right.

Now we can let the drinking proceed in silence, but we can also get some interesting information out of the abbot.

0robinmonk.png
We should toast--to long life for King Richard.

0abbot.png
Aye, long may he languish in a foreign prison.

0robinmonk.png
You're certain Prince John will succeed in preventing the King's ransom from being paid?

0abbot.png
Brother, he's as cunning as a boggard rat, our Prince is.

0abbot.png
The Queen still needs over 50,000 marks and the Prince has made sure it eludes her grasp.

0robinmonk.png
50,000 marks is no small sum. He must guard it well.

0abbot.png
Aye, and who d'ye thinks he trusts to guard it for'im?

0abbot.png
Sh'not that Sheriff, but me! He sends it t'me!

You can notice the abbot getting more and more drunk.

0robinmonk.png
When?

0abbot.png
Shoon...I mean soon.

0robinmonk.png
If I were the Prince, I'd never dare to send such a treasure through Sherwood Forest.

0robinmonk.png
What of that arch-outlaw, Robin Hood?

0abbot.png
Fie on Robin Hood. Treasure'll be well guarded, by the Baron LeFevre and hish men.

Remember that convoy Lob mentioned in day 3?

0robinmonk.png
Still, you could send the Baron LeFevre a warning about the outlaws. Has he left for Nottingham yet?

0abbot.png
Nay, na'yet. You zhure are noshey...nosy...f'r'a Monk.

0abbot.png
Don't look mush like a Monk, neither.

0abbot.png
Look more like'n'outlaw yershelf.

He clams up at this point, but we got what we wanted from him, and he's way too drunk to do the sensible thing, like get Robin arrested..

0robinmonk.png
Another mug, Your Grace?

scidhuv_206.png

This is the best portrait in the game.

0robinmonk.png
Thank the Virgin for that amethyst. This truly is strong ale. I daresay the Abbot will not wake for a good many hours.

Before leaving, Robin has to of course live up to his reputation and rob the abbot.

scidhuv_207.png

0robinmonk.png
By the time he notices his purse is empty, I should be far from here.

I ran into so many technical problems making this update that it took me hours and hours. We'll break it here and rescue the widow's sons in the next update.

(and here's another one to add to the list: having to click on images to get them to the full size, which of course means they obscure each other. DarkUnderlord! DorkOvenload! :argh:)

Last edited:

Urbanolo

Augur
This game sure seems excellent, are there even any modern adventure games that are comparable in terms of complexity?

Also, a great and detailed LP, really nice work.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
harrying of the north best day of my life. take a bath of dead saxon..ahahahahahROBYN HOOD WE WILL GET YOU!!

Tigranes

Arcane
My only regret is that I have played this game already, that I might not experience it anew once again.

It's a fantastic game, and one which I could get into pretty immediately without having experience of old school adventure games at the time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
please bump this thread once the forum becomes readable again because otherwise i might forget to read it :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember thinking that the short audio clip of Gregorian chanting when you first visit the Abbey was the coolest thing ever.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
It just occurred to me that, at this point, Jack is dead. He's the guard who was trying to rape the peasant woman on day 1.
Maybe there're multiple Jacks...

Also, somehow taking advantage of gems imbued with demonic magic failed to strike me as the most Christian act.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Would seem that Hood et. al take a rather free approach to Christianity, what with robbing monks and all.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
This game sure seems excellent, are there even any modern adventure games that are comparable in terms of complexity?
To be fait there weren't that many even back when it was made. It's one of the reasons it's such an exceptional game.

I remember thinking that the short audio clip of Gregorian chanting when you first visit the Abbey was the coolest thing ever.
I still think it is :P

Would seem that Hood et. al take a rather free approach to Christianity, what with robbing monks and all.
Seems more of a "back to roots" Christianity, considering how corrupt the abbot and his church are (not that the prior and the sheriff are any better). It's pretty heavily implied in the dialogue Robin has with the monk. Lots of these elements are part of the original mythos though - stealing is not a christian thing after all, but it's alright when Robin Hood does it because he doesn't keep anything he steals and gives it to those who need and deserve it, like a good christian should. Or at least that's how I think it's meant to be taken.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It was a facetious take on the Christianity comment, but I think it's pretty apparent that Robin considers both the local church and reigning authorities as corrupt enough that he is justified in becoming an outlaw. He has no moral qualms because, indeed, he believes his actions are morally correct.

I'm not sure if he's portrayed as a strong believer in the game, though I don't think it's the case. But he is very vocal about his support for Richard, the righteousness of their cause, etc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Day 5: The Great Escape

index.php
Her sons were arrested, all three of them! Someone betrayed them to the Sheriff.

index.php
Take this infernal box to my room. And leave my door unlocked. I'll be having a nap soon.

index.php

Time to find what's this box is about, and rescue the widow's sons.

Before leaving, we forget to pick up the empty cask, which means we have to go back and get it later during this update pick up the empty cask.

(Not only do I forget every time, I even forgot to mention it at the end of the previous update)

If you try to get into the abbot's room earlier, Robin says the door is locked. But now that the abbot has specifically ordered it be kept open, we can go in!

scidhuv_208.png

The game once again drive home just how corrupt the abbot is. Remember the many peasants complaining about how high taxes are? This is where the tax money is going.

scidhuv_209.png

index.php
There's one other door off to the left of his bed-curtain. I see no other way to escape except the way I entered.

index.php
I wonder where that Monk would have put the puzzle box that the Abbot was working on?

That door seems like it could let you on to something, but it's a bit of a red herring.

index.php
Pheugh. That was the Abbot's private privy. Definitely NOT a means of escape.

As for the conspicuous chest in the foreground, it hints at some of the abbot's more... exotic hobbies.

scidhuv_210.png

index.php
Though it leaves me to wonder to what use the Abbot puts them.

I wonder indeed.

Anyway, finding the box should be pretty obvious. The first thing I thought of when I saw this room was "under one of the pillows". Sure enough...

scidhuv_211.png

For extra points, we can hide any signs of the theft by replacing the pillow in its original position.

index.php
I'd better not make my theft too obvious.

The box is a bit like the sandalwood box in Ultima 5. It should be patently obvious when you hear about it that it's important. When you get it, this becomes even more obvious. But you cannot do anything about it until much later in the game.

scidhuv_212.png

At this time, we have no way of opening it, or even of figuring out what the key to opening it is, and Robin suggests not trying to do so while in the abbey anyway.

scidhuv_213.png

As always you are free to ignore these hints at your own risk

scidhuv_214.png

scidhuv_215.png

index.php
Robin always was overburdened with curiosity.

index.php
Curiosity killed the outlaw.

index.php
I thought it killed the cat.

index.php
Fortunately, outlaws, like cats, have 9 lives. Sometimes even more.

We have as many as we want as long as we save the game first!

index.php
Leaving the box alone for now, we continue exploring in search of a way to free the widow's sons.

scidhuv_216.png

And the laundry room has exactly what we need.

scidhuv_217.png

Perfect isn't it!

index.php
Good, they're mostly dry. Nothing worse to carry around than wet wool.

At this point we have everything we need to successfully complete the day. However, there's one more thing we can find that will result in an ideal outcome being available to a problem much later in the game. This is one of the things I love about this game, taking your time and making sure you explore alternatives ensures you can use the knowledge you gained later on, and these situations always make perfect sense.

scidhuv_218.png

You can't see it on the screenshot, but the text is hiding 2 doors going out of the chapel and into a garden of sorts in the back of the cathedral. This was somehow visible in the outside painting of the abbey.

scidhuv_219.png

Let's walk out the right door.

scidhuv_220.png

Welcome to the hedge maze. It's a Sierra game so it has to have a maze in there! This one isn't too bad, because if you have a good photographic memory you can memorize which exits on one screen lead to which passages on the next screen. And if you find the exit, even if you're on the wrong side of a hedge (where Robin cannot see the exit) you can still trace it back to the right passage. For our purposes, we'll just use the handy map that comes with the hintbook.

Maze.jpg

You can see each door leads to a different path, and this is why I chose the right door: the path is easier and faster. Let's just follow it screen to screen.

scidhuv_221.png

You see the walk icon? This is where I'm sending Robin on each screen.

scidhuv_222.png

scidhuv_223.png

scidhuv_224.png

And here's the exit.

scidhuv_225.png

Welcome to the Witch's Court. You should be able to guess from the pyre and the name what this place is.

index.php
Ah, the maze has brought me out into the Witch's Court. It's entirely enclosed by the stone wall with two large wooden gates set in the northern wall. They're closed now, but when open, they would allow a large crowd of spectator to enter.

index.php
The Abbot had this thing built - a stake within a small pyre. Twice he has burned old women he accused of being witches, a vile foreign notion that causes great unease among the townsfolk. I'll wager he keeps this Court locked so the people do not sneak in here and destroy this thing.

As I said earlier, the Abbot is not a nice guy and certainly not someone you mess with (though of course we just did). Knowledge of the way through the maze and of this secret door into the Court will come in very useful in a future day. For now, we backtrack all the way back to the abbey and to the city streets, and make our way to the pub.

scidhuv_226.png

Let's chat once again with our newest friend the innkeeper.

index.php
I don't suppose you've come back to pay the Abbot's bill?

index.php
If God wills it, it will be done.

Robin's really got into his role as a monk hasn't he.

index.php
I guessed as much.

index.php
How much IS the bill?

index.php
Twelve pennies I'll likely never see.

We can at least return the empty cask that I totally did not forget to pick up after the abbot passed out, and that I totally didn't have to go back and get at this point.

index.php
I've brought back another empty cask.

index.php
Much obliged, but I'm through sending ale to the Abbot until he pays his bill.

index.php
And with the return of the cask, the bill is--?

index.php
Same as before, twelve pennies.

index.php
Oh, if you want to take the short way back to the Abbey, I'll be happy to oblige you. Just signal me from the cellar door and I'll open it for you.

Time to get rid of this bill once and for all.

scidhuv_227.png

12 pennies is steep, but it happens to be most of what we looted from the Abbot after he passed out. This being Robin Hood, it's only fair that the innkeeper get this money, which he is owed anyway.

index.php
What's all this?

index.php
It's to pay the Abbot's bill in full, my friend.

index.php
I'm much obliged to you, Brother. You're the only worthwhile Monk I've ever met from that Abbey, no offense.

index.php
None taken.

As is obvious by now the innkeeper is not a bad man, and is in fact quite honest. Returning the casks and paying the bill makes him like us more. This will play into the outcome of a much later day.

For now let's use the secret passage once again.

scidhuv_228.png

This time, we head up towards the castle.

scidhuv_229.png

scidhuv_230.png

Let's have a look!

scidhuv_231.png

It's our good friends Giles and Roger again. I like that the game uses the same guards and that every single one is named and has his own personality, it adds a lot compared to having them as faceless goons. These two are the ones we see the most.

index.php
Will you stop that confounded pacing!

This is Giles.

index.php
I'm bored.

And this is Roger.

index.php
Sneak us up a bucket of ale from the pub. That'll keep you busy. I've got such a thirst, I'd throttle me own mother for a mug right now.

Neither is the brightest bulb, as you can see from this scene.

index.php
Give me some money then.

index.php
Ahem...well...if you could pay for it this time--

index.php
I knew it! You lost it all to Old Harry playing Nine Men's Morris, didn't you?

Old Harry is the guy we won the amethyst from.

index.php
Aw, come on, Roger. Be a good lad--

index.php
I haven't enough.

index.php
We only need four pennies.

index.php
I've got two farthings and that's it.

index.php
He won't fill the bucket for less than four pennies.

Remember the bucket we saw coming down from the ceiling in the pub?

index.php
Sorry. That's all I've got.

index.php
Hie yourself up the stairs and tell Jack I need a loan.

index.php
Why should I--

index.php
Go on. By Ges, if I don't have an ale before the night is out, you'll never hear the end of it.

index.php
Very well, if it'll improve your foul temper.

scidhuv_232.png

Giles follows Roger up the stairs.

scidhuv_233.png

The way is now clear, but only for a very short time, and not long enough to free the widow's sons.

We can try to anyway, but it doesn't end well.

scidhuv_234.png

index.php
Seize him! It's ROBIN HOOD!

scidhuv_235.png

index.php
He didn't get far once the alarm went up.

index.php
The Sheriff's furious over discovering those tunnels. He nearly hung the Abbot next to Robin.

index.php
Would that he had hung the Abbot INSTEAD of Robin.

index.php
Robin should have been quicker or far more careful.

index.php
For once, Much, you have spoken wisely.

index.php
Alas for poor, dead, careless Robin.

index.php
With the little time we have, the only thing to do is to provide them with the excuse for a longer distraction. Giles and Roger need 4 pennies but only have 2 farthings. What we do then is leave the difference on the table.

scidhuv_236.png

scidhuv_237.png

We then run back into the tunnel, and peep through the hole again.

scidhuv_238.png

index.php
He's a miserable little dung-eating ferret. I trow, I'd cut me own father's throat for a mug right now.

index.php
I thank Heaven that I'm not related to you, Giles.

index.php
Roger, you sly old dog!

index.php
What?

index.php
You left this money on the table when I wasn't looking!

index.php
What?! I did no such thing!

index.php
Have your little jest, if you like. Stay here while I fetch the ale.

index.php
I'll never taste a drop if you fetch it. We'll both go.

And with both gone, we have a little more time to enact our escape.

scidhuv_239.png

index.php
Bless me, Robin, my heart nearly stopped when I realized it was you in that robe!

index.php
And I almost cried out your name!

index.php
Lower the ladder!

index.php
There's none here. They must have it stored elsewhere and I dare not leave this room.

index.php
Then we're still trapped in this pit?

index.php
Have faith. I'll find a way.

scidhuv_240.png

With all the mention of the belts when you pick up the robes, I immediately figured it out, but it takes Robin a little longer to do so.

index.php
The monks' robes would be a great help once I get the lads out of this pit, but---the belts!

index.php
Get ready lads! I'm going to make you a rope out of monks' belts!

scidhuv_241.png

Hals comes out first

scidhuv_242.png

index.php
Dicken, you next!

scidhuv_243.png

index.php
You'll get up that rope right now or I'll box your ears 'til they bleed!

Ah, brotherly love.

scidhuv_244.png

scidhuv_245.png

(cue Elmer Bernstein music)

scidhuv_246.png

By now Giles and Roger will be back. Let's make sure nothing is amiss.

scidhuv_247.png

index.php
Aye, we daren't step another foot outside this door tonight!

index.php
But we downed a bucket of ale between us! I'll need to visit the privy.

index.php
You clodpate. We can go one at a time.

index.php
D'ye think we should check on the prisoners?

index.php
They haven't gone anywhere unless they've learned to walk through stone. Now quiet down. You chatter like a bloody magpie.

As I said they're not exactly the brightest, which works for us.

Now, the secret passage goes out two ways, either the abbey or the pub. The pub would be the safer choice, especially considering we stole the puzzle box from the Abbot, who's bound to find out.

But let's escape through the abbey anyway!

scidhuv_248.png

index.php
Wait here while I see how things are faring in the Abbey.

Robin goes through the secret door.

scidhuv_249.png

... and straight into a reunion he'd rather avoid.

index.php
We're searching everywhere, Your Grace--

index.php
Well, search again! Everywhere and everyone! I'll have that puzzle box found or heads will roll!

index.php
Where's that Brother with the blonde beard? I didn't like the look of him.

index.php
We haven't found him yet, Your Grace, but we're searching.

The game actually gives you a split second to duck out. Unfortunately I was taking screenshots and wasn't fast enough. I also overwrote my save game here, too late to actually do anything, and had to restart the whole day to continue the LP.

index.php
Hold fast there, Brother. What were you doing in the tunnels?

index.php
I...uh...um...

index.php
It's you! Abbot, it's the fellow himself! We've caught him!

index.php
Excellent! Send for the Sheriff at once!

scidhuv_250.png

index.php
Did he think his theft would go unnoticed?

index.php
Had he been a bit quicker, he could have escaped.

index.php
Everything is clearer in hindsight, my friends, even death.

index.php
Let's get back through the pub then. It's always quiet there.

scidhuv_251.png

index.php
There's no one in the cellar, though I hear some music.

... except of course the one and only time we need it to be quiet...

index.php
Hal, go on through, but if you sense anyone--

index.php
I'll be careful, don't worry.

The following scene is one of the funniest in the game.

scidhuv_252.png

index.php
It's the Sheriff with his men and some wenches!

index.php
He's celebrating having three outlaws to hang.

index.php
Do they look as though they've had plenty to drink?

index.php
Aye, they're well into their cups.

index.php
Good. That's twice the headache the Sheriff will have when he finds you gone.

index.php
But what should we do? Shall we try to get past them as Monks?

You get a Yes/No (well, Aye/Nay) choice here. Of course there's no other way out, so we'll have to risk this.

index.php
Aye, we must dare it. The pub's outside the town walls and closer to the forest. If he's drunk enough, the Sheriff should pay little heed to some Monks.

index.php
Listen well, you three will go first. Keep your heads down and don't hurry too much. Don't stop to wait for me, no matter what happens.

index.php
Hal, you lead the way.

Quite the party going on.

scidhuv_253.png

The three lads make it through, but just as Robin is about to make it, his way is blocked by none other than the sheriff. One of the guards also moves behind him, blocking escape back into the tunnels.

Oh noes! Robin Hood has been caught! What dastardly taunts will be uttered by the evil Sheriff of Nottingham as he gloats?

scidhuv_254.png

Well that wasn't quite what I expected.

index.php
My son, you are drunk.

0sheriff.png
Aye..bhurp!...sho whyam. Gimme a bleshing.

scidhuv_255.png

The room goes eerily quiet and everybody freezes, staring at Robin, waiting for what he will do.

There's really no reason to deny the sheriff, and doing so is extremely stupid. The way the room freezes is a subtle hint that this isn't something you can just shrug off and ignore.

0sheriff.png
Shay, I'm talk--hic!...talking t'you, Monk!

0guard.png
Are you deaf?

index.php
Let me pass. I'm in a hurry.

0guard.png
Give the Sheriff a blessing, Brother, or--

0guard.png
Wait on, you look familiar.

0guard.png
ON GUARD! IT'S ROBIN HOOD!

0sheriff.png
Arresht him!

scidhuv_256.png

index.php
Aye, it's wasn't like Robin to lose his head when a bit of cunning would have served.

index.php
He's lost his head now, alas, stretched from a rope.

The Merry Men are really merciless when mocking the player for doing something stupid.

index.php

Well it's not as if we have anything to lose, and besides, the blessing you make is hilarious.

index.php
Very well. May God give you all that you deserve and may I live to see it. Amen.

0sheriff.png
Whudda a great bleshing. Best I ev-- hic!...ever heard.

0sheriff.png
Here's a penny.

index.php
Why, thank you, my son.

There's something immensely satisfying about insulting the sheriff and then being paid for doing it.

scidhuv_257.png

The music and dacing resume as Robin makes his exit.

scidhuv_258.png

Later at the widow's hut, the lads are all safe.

scidhuv_259.png

index.php
I made a fine monk. You should have seen us!

index.php
I thought I must laugh or die when the Sheriff begged Robin for a blessing!

index.php
Well, I didn't like being a monk, not for a minute. As soon as we reached the forest, I tore off that robe.

index.php
You're all so brave. I can hardly believe you're here. It seems a miracle.

index.php
May the Blessed Lady guard you and keep you safe forever, Robin Hood. But words aren't enough.

index.php
Take this gift....

index.php
The joy upon your face is payment enough.

index.php
I will not be denied. This comes from the time when I was the Guardian of this forest, even as Marian is now.

Well well, this came as a surprise. She even knows Marian.

index.php
Mother? You?! A Green Priestess?!

index.php
Before you were born, I danced the Spiral Dance and nurtured the spirit of the forest.

index.php
Step forward, Robin.

index.php
This golden net is my gift. Use it well, and it will lead you to wisdom. Use it wisely, and the forest itself will protect you.

index.php
Now please, take my sons with you and let them serve you. I fear they're outlaws from this day on.

index.php
I'll do as you bid. Thank you for all these precious gifts you bestow upon me. Come on, lads.

Time for the usual evening warp-up, which will be even happier than usual.

scidhuv_260.png

Notice how Outlaws has gone up from 31 to 34, now that the three lads have joined.

index.php
'May you get all you deserve and may I live to see it!' Robin, you've a wicked wit!

index.php
This will make one of the finest tales I've ever told!

index.php
If the Sheriff but knew what it is I think he deserves.

index.php
I think he knows! He'll be cursing you roundly tonight when the truth seeps into his drunken skull.

index.php
Let him curse and rage! Hal, Hob and Dicken are beyond his reach and I'm well content with this day's work.

index.php
And I'm as proud as a man can be to call Robin Hood my leader. Let us toast him, men!

scidhuv_261.png

There are many other ways to rescue the widow's sons (including not rescuing them at all). Most of the others involve attacking the castle directly, which will also work, though you might lose some men (ie the Outlaws number will go down) depending on how successful the plan is. Robin sneaking in and doing everything by himself leads to the best outcome, not to mention you get to pull some fun stuff like getting the Abbot drunk and stealing the box, and "blessing" the sheriff. As I said earlier as well, making friends with the innkeeper will prove helpful later in the game.

As a final note, there's a fun little easter egg if you use the half-heart emerald on the tapestry in the refectory, after the Abbot passes out.

scidhuv_263.png

scidhuv_264.png

scidhuv_265.png

scidhuv_266.png

DarkUnderlord fix the stupid image sizes already, you're ruining my LP :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Seems more of a "back to roots" Christianity, considering how corrupt the abbot and his church are (not that the prior and the sheriff are any better).

I think this was added later after the protestants were pissing on Rome became a thing, not they were entirely wrong mind you but unlikely this was in the original and most likely added later after Henry VIII because fuck Rome.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Day 6: The Fool on the hill in the Fens

Previously:

index.php
Already, they've stolen an object that is vital to my plans. I must have it back before we can make another move.

index.php
What is it?

index.php
A simple scroll upon which is drawn the outline of a hand.

Time to get Marian's scroll back from the Fens monks.

Since the spoiler tags are borked I'm doing away with them, which will make the LP actually readable at the expense of making the page layout tedious to scroll through. Blame DU.

scidhuv_266.png

As usual, some of the Merry Men are outside the cave and give hints on where to start the day.

scidhuv_267.png

index.php
Greetings, Master Hood! What a fine day it is.

index.php
The Widow promises to bake us some pies as thanks for saving her sons.

index.php
You'll be off to the Fens, I reckon, to fetch that scroll the Lady Marian wants.

index.php
You'll have a right tricky time of getting inside that Monastery.

index.php
I was watching Watling Street from the Overlook earlier quite a few Monks coming and going today.

Remember when I said, at the beginning of Day 5, that you can choose whether to tackle the Fens or rescuing the widow's sons depending on which monk you stop? We chose the abbey monk on Day 5, so today, only the Fens monk shows up.

scidhuv_268.png

Naturally his robes would make the perfect disguise.

scidhuv_269.png

index.php
You block my way, friend.

index.php
Aye, so I do.

index.php
Move aside.

index.php
And if I do not?

index.php
Since you seem determined to block my way, what is it you want?

index.php
I've no coins upon me, so if it's robbery--

index.php
I'm not a common outlaw. I'm Robin Hood.

index.php
I know of you. It would serve my Master well to have you dead.

index.php
Name your Master.

index.php
Prince John, he who deserves to rule.

index.php
Traitorous dog! Richard is our King.

index.php
Not for long. And when Prince John takes the crown, then you outlaws will know the true meaning of fear.

index.php
He'll not rest until he's hunted down every last one of you and set you to dancing at the end of a rope.

index.php
Not even this forest will be large enough to hide you from his wrath.

index.php
That day will never come. As for what I want--your robe and whatever you carry upon you.

index.php
By the Trinity, I'll give you nothing but the rap of my staff upon your skull!

Time to call in the cavalry.

scidhuv_270.png

index.php
One man...a dozen. Call all your men. It matters not. I'm prepared to die.

scidhuv_271.png

index.php
What say you, Robin? Do you wish him taken?

index.php
What say YOU, Monk. Give me your robe and all you carry upon you, and you'll go in peace.

index.php
I say be damned. If God doesn't punish you for your wickedness, Prince John will.

index.php
You serve that devil's hound and speak openly of it?!

index.php
What does it matter? I'll give you nothing of my free will and if you seek to take me by force, I'll kill as many of you as I can ere I die.

index.php
Stand aside, men. I began this and I shall finish it as honour demands--one to one.

index.php
Very well. But beware of him.

This really doesn't leave us with many options. You can't get close to him (he threatens to hit Robin with his staff, and Robin backs off). The only thing left to do is threaten him with the bow.

index.php
Remove your robe and turn over your possessions now or I will kill you.

index.php
I fear nothing but the judgement of God.

index.php
I loathe a dishonourable death, but you're a dishonourable foe.

index.php
You dare--!?

index.php
You have a longbow and I a staff. You call this an even match?

index.php
I challenge you to combat with the quarterstaff.

scidhuv_273.png

The monk actually has a point. And playing a dishonourable Robin Hood isn't rewarded by the game (in this case it proceeds as usual but you lose points). We will therefore accept a one on one duel.

index.php
I accept.

index.php
Little John, will you lend me your quarterstaff? This Monk has challenged my honour.

index.php
Gladly will I lend it to you.

scidhuv_274.png

Robin lays down his bow and takes John's staff.

scidhuv_275.png

This is another one of the game's minigames, and unlike Morris this one is typical Sierra arcade (Conquests of Camelot had a few too).

If you stand there and do nothing, the monk eventually beats Robin to death.

scidhuv_276.png

scidhuv_277.png

index.php
Robin Hood is dead! Death to all outlaws.

index.php
By all that is holy, I'll avenge my master this day! You'll fight until not a one of us is left standing or your blood covers the ground!

scidhuv_278.png

index.php
How could I fail, for I had Robin's death to avenge.

index.php
Now that it's avenged, we must choose a new leader. I say let it be you.

index.php
I could not take his place.

index.php
Ah, no one can.

index.php
Someone must, or we'll be sitting around here like this forever.

index.php

The fight's really not hard, I won by just mashing buttons.

scidhuv_279.png

index.php
He fought well.

index.php
But not well enough.

index.php
Your final blow was so strong, it broke his staff!

A bit of a contrived way for the game to ensure you don't get to solve future problems while disguised as the monk by beating everyone on the head.

index.php
Aye, that was bad luck. I'll have to make do with his robe and whatever he's carrying.

index.php
Rest yourself, Robin. We'll remove the robe, and when you've changed, I'll take your clothes and weapons to your cave.

scidhuv_280.png

0robinfens.png
Nay, he values it too highly. It'll be my wits that keep me alive, not a staff.

index.php
Haha, then you're poorly armed indeed!

0robinfens.png
'Tis better than not being armed at all, like you! Be off with you, rascal.

At this point we can head directly to the fens, as there's nothing to be gained by visiting Nottingham. However you can get some fun conversations there, so I'll show those. First stop, the Abbot.

scidhuv_281.png

0robinfens.png
Aye, with the Abbot.

index.php
Very well. Come with me.

We meet again!

scidhuv_282.png

0robinfens.png
I bring greetings from the Prior. He asks if you've had any further instructions from Prince John.

index.php
Shhhh, we don't speak of such things in the open.

0robinfens.png
Ah, well, the Prior did warn me of your cowardice.

index.php
He what!?!

0robinfens.png
'Brother', he said, 'don't expect much of the Abbot, after all he is a fat, uglisome, lazy, stupid coward and entirely corrupt.

index.php
Why that--why he--of all--I never--

0robinfens.png
Oh, and known to have intimate relations with sheep. That's what he said. Most of it.

index.php
GET OUT OF MY SIGHT! GET HIM OUT! OUT!!!

scidhuv_283.png

Indeed.

Next stop, the castle.

scidhuv_284.png

index.php
You want my advice, Brother? Leave at once.

index.php
The Sheriff's in a rare lather over losing those outlaws yesterday.

index.php
He's in no mood to see anyone, especially monks.

Unforunately you can't see the Sheriff. I didn't show it on Day 5, but Lobb is away on both days and you can't see him (probably on the Queen's business; he does mention that he's trying to figure out when the treasure will be shipped to Nottingham). Our last stop will be the pub.

scidhuv_285.png

index.php
I don't know you, but I know many of your order. I fought with some of you in the Crusades.

index.php
You've changed swords for staves and donned robes, but you're as black-hearted now as you were when you slaughtered children.

0robinfens.png
You judge me harshly. Perhaps I'm not quite as I seem.

index.php
You wear the robe picked by Prince John. If you're not one of his dogs, change your colours.

0robinfens.png
I will, good man, I will. But not just now.

index.php
You talk strangely, Monk.

0robinfens.png
Aye, and too much sometimes.

Let's go on our business. Off to the Fens.

scidhuv_286.png

The monk has 2 items on him. The first is a whistle

scidhuv_287.png

The second is the pouch, which contains nine gems.

scidhuv_288.png

There's no way to get across the marsh and into the monastery, but we can blow the whistle.

scidhuv_289.png

0robinfens.png
I hear something coming through the fog.

scidhuv_290.png

And here's our passage across.

scidhuv_291.png

index.php
I heard your signal, Brother, but I don't know your face. Have you newly joined our order?

0robinfens.png
Aye, and I've been sent to serve here.

index.php
Step in, then, and be seated. I'll take you across.

Let's get on the boat.

scidhuv_292.png

scidhuv_293.png

To pass the time while we cross, we can annoy the monk.

index.php
Shhhh. I must concentrate.

And annoy him again.

index.php
Silence! I must find my way by sound and feel. Disturb me again and you'll sleep at the bottom of the fens this day.

And again.

scidhuv_294.png

Until he hits Robin with his paddle and sends him overboard.

scidhuv_295.png

index.php
Some people never learn.

index.php

Finally we arrive at the gate of the monastery.

scidhuv_296.png

Where another opportunity to die arises. Robin can get back into the boat straight away.

scidhuv_297.png

And then he can try it again.

scidhuv_298.png

The monk rows a little away from the gate and hits him with the paddle, as before.

index.php
Some people never learn.

scidhuv_299.png

index.php
Knowing full well that these monks were once soldiers and not to be trifled with.

index.php
Let us hope he is wiser in the afterlife.

index.php

Now let's chat with the gate guard.

0robinfens.png
I have business inside. Let me pass.

index.php
You are new, Brother. Therefore you must prove yourself.

index.php
I must have the tokens you bear for the Guardian of the Gate.

So many game overs packed together! Instead of giving him tokens, let's touch him instead.

index.php
Touch me again and you're a dead man.

Let's touch him again!

index.php
Some people never listen.

They're overly fond of this saying.

scidhuv_300.png

scidhuv_299.png

index.php
Knowing full well that these monks were once soldiers and not to be trifled with.

index.php
Let us hope he is wiser in the afterlife.

index.php

Well the tokens must be the items we got from the monk on the road, so let's give him the whistle first.

index.php
This is the first token. I await the rest.

The only other item we have is the bag of gems.

index.php
I accept your tokens, Brother. Now, you must prove your knowledge of the lore of the gemstones.

index.php
This is the way of it. I will pose you three riddles.

index.php
There are three stones which you must choose to answer each riddle.

index.php
If you are right, you will pass in safety.

index.php
If you are wrong.....commend your soul to God, for you will die here.

index.php
Here is the first riddle.

scidhuv_301.png

Welcome to the usual and typically annoying Sierra copy-protection. One of MANY in this game, perhaps the most annoying thing about it. It's not as bad as say Codename Iceman, but it's still irritating as hell, and nowhere near as well integrated and fun as it was in Freddy Pharkas. For this particular one, we need to refer to this section of the manual.

Manual05.jpg

Each gem has several descriptives, and each riddle has 3 parts to it. Each part corresponds to one of the lines about a gem. You have to choose the 3 gems that match the 3 parts of the riddle. Where this gets truly annoying is when TWO gems have the same line - like Lapis Lazuli and Sapphire both curing disease of the eye, and of course when the riddle is about curing the eye...

You don't even get 2nd chances. Choosing a wrong gem immediately gives you the game over.

index.php
Bad choice, stranger, whoever you were.

scidhuv_302.png

index.php
Aye, he failed to study his gemstone lore.

index.php
I'll not go near those fens now and see his drowned soul lighting the swamps with the other will-o-th'wisps.

index.php
You'd be safe enough with a piece of jet or lapis lazuli in hand.

index.php
How d'you know that?

index.php
Studied my gemstore lore in the book, that's how. I suggest you do the same.

index.php

I admit Will's snark is quite entertaining here.

The three stones for each riddle can be picked in any order, but this doesn't really make much of a difference.

In this case, heavy with fruit matches with good crops, so we choose Agate as the first gem.

index.php
Your first choice is correct, Brother. Choose you now two more.

Heart full of desire matches with heart's desires of the Carnelian.

index.php
Aye, the second stone is correct. Choose your last stone for this riddle.

Giving birth to the holy child matches the Immaculate Conception of the Quartz.

index.php
Good. Here is the second riddle.

Now you get to do this again for the second and third riddles. This first one was easy; some of the others are more obscure, and frankly I find it MUCH faster to just plow through each riddle by trial and error. 3 stones out of 9, in any order, doesn't make for a lot of trying. Which is ironic, since this means brute-forcing the copy protection is easier than doing it properly. Not very efficient...

After the third riddle we're finally allowed in.

index.php
Welcome in, Brother.

scidhuv_303.png

This is another place with a map. This one has six locations: each of the towers, the refectory in the center, and a secret one we will find towards the end of the update. For now, let's start with the refectory.

scidhuv_304.png

Meet the Prior. If the Abbot is evil but a little on the stupid side, the Prior is much more dangerous. He's not as self-indulgent and is more cunning.

scidhuv_305.png

0prior.png
I don't recognize you. Who are you?

0robinfens.png
I am...eh...Brother Eustace.

0prior.png
And what do you here, Brother Eustace?

0robinfens.png
I've joined your Order, so that I may serve Prince John as he deserves.

0prior.png
Then you're welcome, Brother Eustace, if you can fight. There's not a one of us that wasn't a soldier before we donned the black robes.

0robinfens.png
There are those with good cause to fear the skill of my arm, Your Worship, or I would not be wearing this robe.

0prior.png
Good! We'll have to put it to the test soon. Have you sworn to obey the vows of our Order?

0robinfens.png
Oh, I've made many a solemn oath, never fear.

0prior.png
Have a care, Brother Eustace. Your tongue is a mite slippery for a man who has sworn humility and obedience.

This is not the kind of man you want to try too hard to outwit.

0robinfens.png
Please pardon me, Your Worship.

0prior.png
Very well. But we are strict here. Any infraction is punished with lashings. Remember that.

0prior.png
Did you come through Nottingham? I seek news of strange happenings there. The Abbot has been robbed of a precious ring.

0robinfens.png
Aye. There's a great commotion. I've heard rumour that it was the work of none other than that infamous outlaw, Robin Hood!

0prior.png
By the Trinity! Would that I could lay my hands upon the cur!

0robinfens.png
They say he's the cleverest man in Nottinghamshire, perhaps in all of England.

Modesty, Robin, modesty.

0prior.png
Phah, he's a common outlaw, nothing more. The Abbot is a fool. This Robin Hood would not escape were he to fall into my hands.

Lol irony.

0robinfens.png
The very thought would surely make him throw himself upon the ground and beg for your mercy, Your Worship.

0prior.png
Hmmph. He would get none, mark it well.

0prior.png
I'll question you more another time. At the moment, I've a prisoner whose tongue has also proven too slippery. But pain will loosen it....if he lives.

We'll see about this prisoner in a bit. For now, know that the Prior's room is in the southwest, but we cannot access it. The northeast tower has a locked cell we cannot enter. Let's check the southeast tower.

scidhuv_306.png

0robinfens.png
I see desks and scrolls inside. This is a room set aside for study.

scidhuv_307.png

The interesting thing here is the scroll case in the back. And sure enough, one of the scrolls is the one we need.

scidhuv_308.png

0robinfens.png
I'll tuck it into my sleeve.

The scrolls are full of fun historical and mythology references, so I'm transcribing them all here. I'm not sure how accurate the stories are, so feel free to discuss.

This scroll contains a piece of history written by Paulus Orosius in the 5th century. It deals with Vesores, King of Egypt in 480 anno Domini.
Vesores declared war upon the Scythians and sent an envoy with the terms of submission. This only angered the Scythians.
Thinking Vesores both rich and stupid, the Scythians warned him to beware the uncertainties of war. Then, to forestall the attack on them, they marched forth and attacked Vesores.
They drove Vesores out of his own realm, but the Egyptian army forced them to retreat until they were too severely hampered by marches to continue their war.
Thereupon, the Scythians instead subdued Asia in war lasting 15 years. They were only forced to return to their homeland by the demands of their wives who threatened that if they did not return, the women would have children by men of other tribes.

This scroll tells of Amazons. These were wives whose husbands were killed in war. Deeply affected, they rose up and killed all the men who remained, so that all the women would be equally affected.
They then turned and destroyed the enemy who had first slain their husbands. They burned off the right breasts of the girl children so that they would not be hampered in shooting the bow.
The Amazons had two queens, Marpesia and Lampeto, and they would draw lots to see who would go to war and who would remain to protect their home.
The Amazons conquered most of Europe, took many cities in Asia and founded other cities and became rich with plunder.
Such fear did they spread, that at last Hercules came with nine warships and assaulted them by surprise and massacred the two sister-Queens who ruled then, Antiope and Orithya.
Penthesilea then became Queen and fought heroically in the Trojan War. Thus reads the history of Paulus Orosius of the 5th century.

This scroll describes the death of Attila, as written by Jordanes in the 6th century. Attila had an endless number of wives, as was the custom of his race.
But the excess of his indulgences in women, combined with too much wine, caused him to fall asleep upon his back, whereupon a bloody flux from his nose flowed into his throat and killed him.
The people of his race mourned him with great clamour. The men cut deep wounds into their faces so they would weep manly blood instead of tears.
The women wept and wailed and cut their hair. Yet so terrible was Attila, that his death can only be counted a blessing.

From the Vita Karoli written by Einhard in the 9th century is a description of the habits of Charlemagne, ruler of the Franks.
It says that he was extremely temperate in partaking of food and drink, especially drink, and abhorred drunkenness, especially in himself or any of his family.
He ate only four courses in his daily meal and most dearly loved hunted meat roasted over a spit. During the meal, he would hear some sort of recital or entertainment of history and stories of ancient deeds.
Often in summer, after a light meal of fruit, he would sleep for two or three hours, for he would wake four or five times during the night.
He would admit friends, litigants and do other business even while dressing if the need was urgent. He knew many foreign tongues and was exceedingly skilled in Latin.
He valued scholars and had many learned teachers, and studied also rhetoric and astronomy. He would fill his bed with tablets and notebooks, attempting to learn the art of writing, though he advanced not far in this, having started late in life.

Isidore of Seville of the 7th century wrote the 'Etymologies'. Herein is a writing upon the origin of glass.
It says glass came from Phoenicia next to Judea. There is a swamp from which comes the river Belus at the base of Mt. Carmel, and it flows for five miles into the sea.
The sands are washed clean from the river and where meals were prepared along the beach, and have no stones to place under utensils, they put down lumps of the mineral natron from their ships.
When the natron burned, it mixed with the sand and the new liquid flowed but was translucent. Soon, by experimentation with other substances, they developed this art and learned to melt copper and natron within and afterward to blow the lumps into shapes.
A legend says that a man brought a glass phial to Tiberius Caesar and threw it upon the ground. It did not shatter, but dented like metal. The man could hammer it back into shape like metal, yet it was glass.
Caesar asked if anyone else knew of this secret. The man said only he knew, whereupon Caesar had him decapitated, saying that if glass could be made that did not break, then gold and all metals would be worth no more than mud.

Here is a description of a palace in Constantinople called Magnaura or Magna Aula meaning The Great Court.
The Emperor's chair within this palace was so constructed that it could be raised to a great height, even unto the ceiling, and lowered again.
Before the seat was a tree made of gilded bronze in whose branches were birds of gilded bronze which would utter notes to match their species.
Gigantic lions of gilded wood or bronze had tails that would lash the ground, jaws that opened to emit roars with quivering tongues.
This was written by Liudprand in his 'Antapodosis' in the 10th century.

Herein is a most amazing account of the siege of Jerusalem. Christians, Greeks and Syrians were joined in the assault. Count Raymund, Duke Godefrey, also Robert Count of Normandy and Robert of Flanders were there.
They built a siege tower of small pieces of wood, all that was to be had, and bound it with leather thongs. They attacked with catapults and other contraptions and daring soldiers launched stones and arrows from the siege tower.
The Saracens within hurled from their slings torches and flaming brands soaked in oil and fat and thus many died upon both sides.
By noon of the day dedicated to Venus, the walls were breached and taken. Franks and others poured in and pursued the Saracens so that the enemy were driven to take refuge inside the holy places.
Within the Temple of Solomon, 10,000 Saracens were decapitated. Not a soul was spared, neither the women nor children.
The squires and poorest soldiers slit the bellies to search for jewels that had been swallowed, then burnt the bodies to thus search in the ashes for coins.
After the massacre, the Crusaders sacked the homes and took whatever they found there, rich or poor.
However, Count Raymund allowed Turks, Arabs and some 500 dark Ethiopians who had taken refuge in the Temple of David to depart alive, after leaving all their money within the citadel.
This is written by Geoffrey of Monmouth in his 'Historia Regum Britanniae'.

William of Newburgh reports this, in the 'Historia Rerum Anglicarum'. It tells of a village at the mouth of the river Tweed in the northern regions.
A poor, but very evil man was buried, but at night would leave his grave and walk again. At his side would run a pack of barking dogs.
This sight and sound threw the people into great terror until he returned to his grave at dawn. Those unlucky to be caught would have their blood sucked by this creature.
The elders consulted, having heard other tales. Thus they hired ten bold young men to dig up the horrible corpse and chop it to pieces, then burn it.
Yet after it was destroyed, still a plague came and killed most of the people, and it was said the plague came from the walking dead.

'Tis from an Anglo-Saxon Manual of Astronomy written but a century ago. It notes how the sea flows according to the rising of the moon, and that a tree cut down during a full moon will be harder against worm-eating than those cut down under a new moon.
It is not stars, but fire that falls from the sky, being fire which flies from heavenly bodies, for stars are fixed as God placed them in the firmament and cannot fall as long as this world endures.
Yet the moon, sun, evening and day star and three other stars are not fixed and move in their courses through the heavens. 'Septem planetae' these seven are called.

This scroll speaks of what philosophers call atoms, which are so minute that they are indivisible and cannot be cut or divided or further broken down.
It is believed that these atoms sweep through the void of the universe, restlessly, going in all directions. Some ancient philosophers considered that all things-- grass, crops, trees, fire, water--spring from and are composed from these atoms.
In Greek 'tomos' means division; 'atomos' means indivisibility. Thus writes Isidore of Seville in the 'Etymologies' in the 7th century.

Herein Sulpicius Severus of the 5th century writes of the power of St. Martin, who had gone to a pagan village and destroyed an ancient temple.
He began then to cut down a sacred pine tree, but the priests of the place objected. St. Martin explained that it was not holy, but the boldest of them challenged him.
He said 'If you have such faith in this God you worship, we will ourselves cut down this tree if you will allow yourself to be bound to the ground where it will fall, trusting only to your God to save you.'
This St. Martin allowed and was made fast onto the ground where the pagans thought no doubt could be that the tree would fall. As they cut, they cried out joyously drawing a crowd.
St. Martin had no fear and waited patiently, with full faith in the Lord. As the tree fell crashing he lifted up his hand and the tree was driven back to fall in the opposite direction, nearly falling upon those who had cut it.
Thus were the pagans dismayed and the village brought under the salvation of God.

The duties of the Cellarer of a monastery are described: he must be intelligent, mature of character, sober, have no greed nor be lazy or insulting, nor boisterous.
He should do nothing without the Abbot's orders and do whatever he is ordered. He should not offend the brothers, and should answer with humility and reason any untoward request.
He should care for children, guests, the sick and poor, for by his treatment of them will he be weighed on the Day of Judgement.
He is to look after the vessels and all sacred articles of the monastery. He is to give out equally and fairly the apportioned provisions to all brothers.
This is written by Benedict of Nursia in the 6th century in his 'Regula'.

This one is... odd to say the least.

By Venatius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus, taken from 'Opera: Patrologia Latina' in the 6th century.
'Tis a poem entitled 'Curse on the Chef!'
'Blackhearted wretch, all caked in smoke, Face like a stewpot, smeared with soot, Like your utensils, filthy black, You three-legged pot, you slimy pan, You don't deserve these verses mine, I'll make a charcoal sketch instead, Whose shameful likeness will recall A pitch-blackhearted man withal.'
And 'tis followed by 'Take It Easy' which reads as follows:
'Drop business and lawsuits on the Palatine. This festive table bids you dine and wine. Let din of law and wrangling cases rest, The day is joyous. To relax is best.'

The last scroll is one that's actually directly relevant to the game and outlines the solution to a puzzle we will get to shortly.

There is no notation of the writer of this scroll, yet it seems to speak of the history of this very fortress, turned monastery.
It speaks of the Ignis Fatuus, the will-o'- the-wisps, whose name means 'foolish fire'. These, it says, are the spirits of the dead, those who have drown'd in this fens.
It speaks also of The Guardians of the Gate and names them thusly: COGITO the Thinker, MALITIA the Malicious, INEPTUS the Foolish, VOCALIS the Speaker, IEIUNUS the Hungry, HILARIS the Jolly, and DEFORMIS the Ugly.
It ends with this: 'When you've touched the face of wisdom and the face of that which hungers, then will the fool's tongue be loosened and the path made clear.'

We have Marian's scroll now, but we don't have a way out yet, and we do want to find out what the deal is with this prisoner. Let's head to the northwest tower, the only one we haven't checked yet.

scidhuv_309.png

scidhuv_310.png

0robinfens.png
Ahem....

0prior.png
Phagh! I tell you, Brother Eustace, I've never seen a more stubborn, stupid creature than this miserable dwarf.

0robinfens.png
Aye, he does look miserable.

0prior.png
I've wasted enough time here. You're to stand guard and increase his pain in any way you can. When he's ready to talk, send for me. I'll be in the Scribes' room.

scidhuv_311.png

Robin Hood is not quite the type to let people be tortured like this. Let's free the jester.

scidhuv_312.png

scidhuv_313.png

0fulk.png
You...you set me free. B-But the Prior bade you--

0robinfens.png
Shrivel his black soul! I'm no servant of his.

0fulk.png
S-Such kindness makes you a giant among men. And men are giants indeed when I am amongst them.

Well he's got a persistent sense of humour, that's for sure.

0robinfens.png
How can you jest when you still shake with pain?

0fulk.png
But I am Fulk the Jester, don't you know? Court Jester to--God Save Him!--Richard, Coeur de Lion.

Well well, good thing we didn't leave before freeing him.

0robinfens.png
What? You're King Richard's own jester? Then our King is free?

0fulk.png
I will never betray my beloved master, so if this is some filthy trick to win my trust--

0robinfens.png
Nay, listen well, I will place my life in your hands to show my good faith. I am no Monk. I am Robin Hood.

0fulk.png
Oh. Ah...sorry, should that mean something?

I don't think this is a reaction Robin Hood gets very often.

0robinfens.png
Only that I'm the most hunted outlaw in all England. You have but to whisper my name to these Monks and I'm a dead man.

0fulk.png
Pray pardon me. I've been on the Crusades with--Blessed Mary Protect Him!--our beloved King for many years. Alas, he's still a prisoner in Europe.

0robinfens.png
But how came you here?

0fulk.png
My Master sent me ahead of him, so I escaped Leopold's ambush, but upon reaching England, I fell into Prince John's hands--may he suffocate in offal!

0fulk.png
He turned me over to these Monks...who seem to know you well enough.

0robinfens.png
I swear by the Virgin Mary, I'm not one of them.

0fulk.png
The Prior swears by the Holy Three, yet he tortures me.

0robinfens.png
How would you have me prove myself, Fulk?

0fulk.png
Why should you want to?

0robinfens.png
As I love my King, I swear I will not leave here unless I take his devoted servant with me.

0fulk.png
And I will not leave here without my verses.

0robinfens.png
I beg your pardon?

0fulk.png
They're written upon a ragged bit of scroll wrapped around a wooden cylinder. The Prior--may the Devil feed him dung for eternity!--has taken them.

0fulk.png
The Prior seeks to decode the secrets of my verses, but he must not or I will have failed the trust my King placed in me. Return my scroll to me and I'll never doubt you again.

Yep, we need another scroll before we can leave. The Prior must know where they are kept, and he did mention he was heading to the study.

scidhuv_314.png

Who wants to bet these are the verses he's trying to decode?

0robinfens.png
Pardon me...

0prior.png
Eh? Ah, Brother Eustace. Has the congeon broken? Have you loosened his half-wit tongue?

0robinfens.png
Nay, Your Grace.

0prior.png
Then what are you doing here?

0robinfens.png
A..eh..one of your more trusted Brothers arrived to take my place and bade me tell you he'd break the dwarf for you soon enough.

0prior.png
Which Brother dared to countermand my order to you?

0robinfens.png
Forgive me, Your Worship, his name has clear fled my poor brain.

0prior.png
T'is a poor brain indeed, a bacon-brain more full of fat than sense. Do what you will for now. I'll deal with your punishment, and his, later.

Well, weve got to distract him somehow. What's this little goblet on the table near him?

scidhuv_315.png

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

0robinfens.png
Allow me to refill your goblet, Your Worship.

scidhuv_316.png

Oops.

0prior.png
You stupid, clumsy, worthless---phagh! Clean up this mess! I'm going to my tower to wash out my robe.

And with this he leaves.

scidhuv_317.png

... and by this I mean he leaves the scroll on the table.

0robinfens.png
It's a ragged scroll covered with what looks to be lines of verse.

Let's take it back to Fulk.

scidhuv_318.png

0robinfens.png
Robin Hood.

0fulk.png
Sorry.

0robinfens.png
No matter. We must turn our wits to escape--

0fulk.png
There is a way, a secret way. Follow me.

scidhuv_319.png

And this is the secret I mentioned earlier.

0fulk.png
The Monks brought me in this way. It looks like a solid wall, but press here and it opens. Follow me.

scidhuv_320.png

Why in such a hurry? Let's go say goodbye to the Prior and thank him for being such a lovely host first.

scidhuv_321.png

0prior.png
There's the imposter who freed the dwarf! Kill him!

scidhuv_322.png

index.php
Aye, but in the end, they dunked him in the fens with stone weights around his neck.

index.php
I'll ne'er venture close to that evil fens again now that Robin has become a will-o-th-wisp.

index.php
A shame he was not more cautious.

index.php
For had he been, he might not now be sleeping with the fish.

index.php

This is one of those things that are impossible to remember when trying to go for a full score. You have to give Fulk a farthing before escaping, and this is the only time you can do that.

scidhuv_323.png

0fulk.png
You are too kind. Thank you, but please, let us leave here!

Robin gets on and starts paddling.

scidhuv_324.png

In order to get past the gate, you've got to remember the scroll that detailed the history of the monastery. Namely this part.

It ends with this: 'When you've touched the face of wisdom and the face of that which hungers, then will the fool's tongue be loosened and the path made clear.'

If you examine the heads, each looks like one of those described in the scroll. All you need to do is touch them in the order above.

scidhuv_325.png

scidhuv_326.png

The only problem is that the game is a little buggy here, and sometimes using the fool one doesn't do anything, which might make you think you've got the order wrong. All you need to do is try the sequence again until it catches.

scidhuv_327.png

0robinfens.png
And this is the hidden counterweight to raise the grate!

Freedom!

scidhuv_328.png

0fulk.png
You've done it! We're free! We--

0robinfens.png
Shhh! Listen!

0robinfens.png
They've discovered our escape! Thank the Blessed Lady the fog is so thick on these waters. It'll hide us until we reach the shore.

scidhuv_329.png

0fulk.png
Let me give you two parting gifts to show my sincerity.

0fulk.png
Take these ragged verses of mine.

0fulk.png
They hold secrets within secrets, treasures within treasures.

0fulk.png
Now open the end of the wooden cylinder and tap gently into your hand what is hidden within.

0robinfens.png
By the Virgin! A magnificent ring of lapis lazuli set in silver.

0fulk.png
No ordinary ring, either. My master -- God save the King! -- saved the life of a magician during the siege of Jerusalem.

0fulk.png
The magician gave him two magic rings -- the Ring that commands Fire and the Ring that commands Water.

0fulk.png
The Abbott of Nottingham -- may his brain be infested with leprous maggots -- has taken the Ring that commands Fire for himself.

Remember the box we stole from the Abbot? Any bets what's inside?

0fulk.png
Whosoever wears that ring cannot be harmed by fire, however hot.

0fulk.png
What you hold in your hand is the Ring that commands Water. In truth, it commands elemental spirits or other such beings that live in watery places, rather than commanding the water itself.

0fulk.png
I bid you to keep it safe, until my master can come calling for it himself.

0fulk.png
And I charge you, if ever you can deprive that fat, scabrous Abbot of the Fire ring, you will be doing your King a noble service.

0robinfens.png
I give you my word to put my wits to it. If it can be done, I will find a way.

0fulk.png
Then I commend to you these bits of Thomefolery that I call verse. Within them you will find the key to unlock the Ring of Fire.

0fulk.png
Farewell then! I'm off to find Queen Eleanor and serve her until my master -- bless him! -- is returned to us.

0robinfens.png
Farewell, Fulk. We shall meet again, if God wills.

And that's it for today.

scidhuv_330.png

scidhuv_331.png

index.php
I hope this Fulk reaches the Queen safely. It's one more proof of the treachery of these monks under Prince John.

index.php
It's a grim place and one I hope never to visit again.

He's going to have to eat these words by the end of the game.

index.php
You'd best be careful not to encounter one of them if you wear that black robe again. They'll surely be after your blood now.

index.php
'Tis a sin that such men dare to wear holy robes.

index.php
But Tuck, you're the deadliest man with a blade that ever donned a friar's frock.

index.php
Well, there's nothing wrong with a holy man who can fight. But to torture the King's jester is unforgivable.

index.php
Guard that ring well, Robin. Though I've no liking for magic myself, it may yet be of service to you.

index.php
Even if it were not magic, I'd guard it well because it belongs to the King.

It's actually going to be pretty useful before we're through.

index.php
Tuck, lead us in a prayer for the deliverance of good Richard Lionheart.

index.php
A noble thought.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I think this was added later after the protestants were pissing on Rome became a thing
The thing with the Robin Hood mythos is that pretty much everything got added later. All of the really memorable bits, John, Richard, the Sheriff, Marian, Tuck, Alan, they are ALL later additions. Initially the only Merry Man was Much (who ironically has the least to say in the game).

Hah, I don't actually remember much of the game, but I do remember that pub scene.
I think it's one of the most memorable scenes in the game, or in any game really.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Regarding the scrolls, most of them seem to be based on the mentioned sources, or at least the authors are actual historical figures. The information is sometimes not historically correct, but would have been considered so at the time.

Paulus Orosius was a historical figure, but he was born in 375 AD, so I doubt he would be describing events in 480 AD. Also, the Scythians lived in Central Asia and the area to the north of the Black Sea, so it's unlikely they invaded Egypt. Also, when I searched for Vesores using Google, it found the story (and that of the Amazons) in Bishop Otto of Freising's Chronicle or history of the two cities.

Regarding the Amazons, Hercules is traditionally associated with Hippolta, Queen of the Amazons.

I remember that Charlemagne was a patron of learning, even though he could not write and had difficulty reading.

I've definitely heard the story about the discovery of glass by sailors who put blocks of soap on the sand beside a fire.

Venatius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus was a Latin poet at the Frankish court in the 7th century. However, the Patrologia Latina is "collection of the writings of the Church Fathers and other ecclesiastical writers published by Jacques-Paul Migne between 1841 and 1855". He is included in the collection, but it was complied more than a millennium after his time.

This is a very entertaining LP. Keep up the good work :salute:

Edit: consider adding back the spoiler tags after the image shrinking issue is fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom