Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Let's Play Cthulhu Saves the World. Part 33: Dev commentary: Dunwich

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by baud, Apr 5, 2018.

1. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    So since I'm spending most of my time on the codex reading lp, I've decided to try my hand at doing one.

I've decided to play Cthulhu saves the world, which is a retro-like jrpg. I've had a good time with the previous game of the devs, Breath of Death VII, which is why I'm going to play this one. It also shouldn't be too long, so that I have a chance of finishing the LP.

[​IMG]

I'll be playing it blind. But since it looks very similar to the previous game, I'll be using what I remember from it.

PART I: Humble beginings

Show Spoiler

The game begin with a small intro:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :Title drop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since I'm a newb, especially in jrpgs and I'm playing blind, I'll play on normal.

Once you start the game proper, you get a first bit of story:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Cthulhu sleeps while the world above goes on, oblivious to his presence. Until tonight...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]As Cthulhu emerged from the bay, the world seemed doomed indeed. But wait! What's that?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Using a strange holy power, the mysterious stranger has sealed away Cthulhu's horrible power!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Gaaah! After waiting all this time, to have victory snatched from my grasp by a mere mysterious man is highly frustrating! I must get my powers back! :x But how?
    [​IMG]Luckily for the world, Cthulhu didn't know the one and only way to break the curse and regain his powers. In order to break the curse and regain his powers, he would have to do the unthinkable.
    [​IMG]He would have to become a true hero. Only by becoming a true hero would his power return to him.
    [​IMG]
    :smug:
    [​IMG] Whoops.
    [​IMG]I, Cthulhu, do hereby vow to devote my life to becoming a true hero. But only so that I can regain my powers, summon R'lyeh to the surface, and destroy the world, of course.
    [​IMG]And thus, a most unlikey hero was born.

Then you get inside the game, which start with a short tutorial, which is only made vaguely palatable by Cthulhu's responses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The great Cthulhu needs no assistance! However, for the benefit of the lowly player who dares control me, I will allow you to continue with your feeble tips
    [​IMG]Hold the Left Shift key while moving to run really fast.
    [​IMG]Mwahahahah! Foolish game developer! By giving me the ability to run, I'll finish this silly game in half the time! I'll be able to sell it back to the game store before the trade-in value drops!
    [​IMG]Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    [​IMG]Press the Tab key to bring up you menu. From here you can chat with members of your party, check out your stats, starts a fight, change your equipement, save your game, or teleport back to cities you've visited.
    [​IMG]I can save at any time? What is this, a first person shooter?
    :decline:
    [​IMG]Use abilities like Insanity Slash in combat to make your enemies insane! Insane enemies take more damage from attacks, but watch out! A few enemies become more dangerous when insane!
    [​IMG]There will be no watching out! I shall bestow the gift of insanity upon all!
    [​IMG]Build your combo count with hits then unleash a powerful combo finisher ability like Deathblow for MASSIVE damage!

The combo system was already present in the previous game. Most attacks will build up the combo meter and which will make some special attacks more powerfull. But using this special attacks deplete the combo meter, so it's another thing to take into account during fights.

[​IMG]Are you done yet? If it's all right with you, I'd like to actually play this game sometime this year!
    [​IMG] Good luck!
    [​IMG]Cosmic monstrosities don't need luck! We forge our own destiny no matter what the cost to humanity!

[​IMG]
    First we find some potions in a chest
    [​IMG]
    Then follow the coast to the left until...
    [​IMG]
    ...until we happen upon a girl (well, I guess) and two monsters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]That would have worked for a normal person, but you have a lot of evil to atone for. It will take many heroic deeds before you're even remotely close to being considered a true hero.
    [​IMG]Fhtagn! Then I will kill the monsters anyway, just for the sake of violence!:argh:

[​IMG]
    An easy fight starts. Compared to the last game, the fights now have backgrounds!
    [​IMG]
    I've hit the enemy on the right with an attack that make him insane, which will make him take more damage. All enemies so far have a different sprite while they are insane.
    [​IMG]
    The fight is won, we regenerate all our HP and some of the MP, which is used for special attacks and spells. Since all the HP is regenerated at the end of the fight (at this level of difficulty), in dungeons we'll only had to deal with the MP. In the previous game there was an late-game spell that enabled party-wide MP regen, so it made the game way easier.

[​IMG]
    We've also gained a level, upgrading our stats.
    [​IMG]
    At each level-up, like in the previous game, you have the choice between two different upgrades at each level-up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] As Cthulhu defeated the final slime onsters, he turned to the maiden that he had rescued.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]What?
    [​IMG]When Umi gazed upon the mighty Cthulhu, she did not see a crazed octopus-dragon-man.
    [​IMG]
    :hmmm:
    [​IMG]My hero!
    [​IMG]Hero indeed! Did you hear that? Do I count as a true hero yet?
    [​IMG]No.
    [​IMG]Fhtagn! At this rate, I shall never become a true hero and regain my cosmic power of destruction!
    [​IMG]Oh brave warrior who has saved me from a gooey death! Let me join you on your noble quest.
    [​IMG]Do you know anything besides get attacked by slime monsters?
    [​IMG]I have an affinity with the creatures of the sea and call them my friends.
    [​IMG]Pass.
    [​IMG]Oh and I have a trident which I use to stab things.
    [​IMG]That's more like it.
    [​IMG]And above all, I, Umi, promise you my wholehearted love and devotion, you great big green hunk of handsomeness!
    [​IMG]Yes! The great Cthulhu requires groupies! You shall do.
    [​IMG]Yay! Does this mean we're dating now?
    [​IMG] No. We're in a strictly rock star, groupie relationship.
    [​IMG]For now. Heeheehee!
    [​IMG]Umi has joined your party!

[​IMG]
    The multi-characters techniques in the last game were a little bit underwhelming, especially at the end of game. They would take the turn of two characters and the effect weren't that impressive. We'll see if this game does better.

[​IMG] Random encounters are now active in this dungeon! After fighting 25 battles in this area, random encounters will be turned off. If you would like to fight beyond that, press the Tab key to bring up the main menu and select the Fight option.

The exhaustible random encounters were also present in the last game and made backtracking and going back to previous area less of a slog, especially since I don't find the trash combat that interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The new character is a healer. And just like the healer in the last game, she got a stun, but now limited to one use per fight, which is new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whereas Cthlhu seems to be a warrior, which is weird, I would have thought that Cthulhu would be a more of a psion/mage.
    Each character has two equipement slot, which raise the attibutes.

And now I can start playing!
    [​IMG]
    Another fight, against a few animals hanging around the beach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Umi level-up and chose to be able to hide. Since she's a healer, it might be better that she survives as long as possible.
    [​IMG]
    We start moving North, toward a cave entrance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]To Miskatonia!
    [​IMG]
    The glowing circle is used to refill your MP.

You can also speak with your slavesparty members:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Yes! Her name is Penta. Isn't she cute?
    [​IMG]A live starfish in your hair... and people think I'm disgusting.

We start to explore the cave, with the normal random fights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We find a chest in a corner.
    [​IMG]
    Which contains a tunic for Cthlhu.
    [​IMG]
    We reach the exit...
    [​IMG]
    ...For more of the same.
    [​IMG]
    Meh. In the last game, I don't think I used a single potion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We got two level-up while in the cave.
    [​IMG]
    Another exit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And we're back outside, above the beach.
    [​IMG]
    Poping' moles
    [​IMG]
    Another level-up
    [​IMG]
    Huh?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Brofist x 3
    • Salute x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Looks like wannabe heroes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    I hate the devs with a burning passion (they are hipster as fuck and their game is I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THAT IS at its core) but a fellow LP'er always manages to gain my support.

Also, the insanity mechanic gives it a bit more depth to the combat model than your usual retro-JRPG derivative. I'd rank it on the level of a good RPGMaker game with a writer that believes to be smarter than he truly is.

^ Top  
  4. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    thats a lot of LEVEL UPS!!!!

^ Top  
  5. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:

Thank you.

I totally agree with your opinion of the devs, still I enjoy playing this game and the previous one. But I haven't played their other games.

Maybe I'll stop adding those if they're too many of them.

Also the next update will be up soon (only one micro-issue to solve).

^ Top  
  6. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    PART II: Beach cliffs.

So last time we were meeting fellow travelers, we'll how it goes!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]You're a dark fiend? You should have told me! That's so sexy!
    [​IMG]I see you've used your vile magic to ensnare that beautiful maiden. Release her!
    [​IMG]Puhleeze! If I was using my magic so ensnare someone, I would have picked someone much hotter.
    [​IMG]Hey!
    [​IMG]Yo, narrator! Do I get hero points for defeating annoying heroes?
    [​IMG]No.
    [​IMG]Well, I'm going to beat them up anyway!
    [​IMG]Virtue always triumphs over evill! We're sure to win!
    [​IMG]Your friend over there doesn't look too virtuous, hiding behind that cloak and all.
    [​IMG]I have a skin condition - leave me alone!
    [​IMG]Mwahahaha! Puny humans! Even with my powers locked away, I have more than enough power to deal with you! Prepare to be defeated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They don't look as good once they're insane.
    [​IMG]
    And it's a win! The flame strike Cthulhu picked at his last level-up was very useful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I hope they're okay.
    [​IMG]They're adventurers. I wouldn't worry about it. They've probably already respawned at the nearest church.
    [​IMG]I wonder if we'll meet them again.
    [​IMG]Probably. Enough contemplation. Onward to heroism!
    [​IMG]
    We continue upward on the mountain, through a pair of caves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New enemies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And loot for Cthulhu.

Not pictured: another bunch of caves

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And we finaly reach the top of the mountain and the bridge to Miskatonia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Look at the ocean!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Looks like a Star Terror. Haven't seen one of those since my days on Rigel XLIV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]What about all those battles we fought to get to this point?
    [​IMG]Mere child's play. Now, show me what you got!

[​IMG]
    Boss figth!

[​IMG]
    Easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New level-ups. And I now can flee battles!
    [​IMG]Huff, huff, huff.
    [​IMG]Not bad. Guess you're not as useless as I suspected!
    [​IMG]Yay! I'm not useless! Hey wait a second! :argh:
    [​IMG]I feel bad for the Star Terror though. It reminded me of my pet starfish. You know instead of being a cute little friend, it was a huge terrifying monstrosity.
    [​IMG]Don't kid yourself, Umi. If the Star Terror ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!
    [​IMG]Well, obviously! I'm not stupid! I still feel sorry for it though.

Bonus image:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

There's a kind of gallery for the characters in the bonus of the main menu, but I've only got Cthulhu for the moment.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    PART III: The town of Miskatonia

Show Spoiler

So last time we finished a the end of the starting dungeon, after killing the first boss.

[​IMG]
    Exit stage right...
    [​IMG]
    ... into the overworld.
    [​IMG]
    New moles to pop!
    [​IMG]
    When you're standing on the sand...
    [​IMG]
    ... the background and the enemies change. I think it's a nice touch.

When talking to Umi, she says:
    [​IMG]We should explore the nearby town of Miskatonia for supplies and information about our next heroic task!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We finally head into the first city, Miskatonia.

We'll meet some of the locals before contuining on our Epic Quest for Heroism™!

Cthulhu getting trolled by a boy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The better to terrify you with my dear!
    [​IMG]Nope. Not scared at all.
    [​IMG]Fhtagn! Curse this curse!

An old cultist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I'm not sleeping anymore!

We also pick up a side quest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]What's wrong?
    [​IMG]I was exploring this cave to the northwest, when we were suddendly attacked by monsters! I ran as fast as I could and escaped, but Shane is still trapped there!
    [​IMG]Cthulhu! Let's go find his dog!
    [​IMG]I guess rescuing someone is the sort of thing a hero would do. Even if it is only a dog.
    [​IMG]

There's no journal in the game, I'll have to remember where to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New weapons are bought for Cthulhu and Umi.

[​IMG]
    :shittydog:

[​IMG]
    We go then to the local bar.
    [​IMG]
    Dash, Elonalina and Switchblade are the three idiots we beat last time.
    [​IMG]
    Updated my journal.
    Now I know which direction to take to avoid the main quest! (not that there is a lot of non-Main Quest content)

There's also a few more idiots in the bar to talk to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Good to hear I still have followers!

[​IMG]Have you heard about the horrible monster that is coming to kill us? It's called Cathila or something Killthy or something like that. It's supposed to as huge as a mountain with hideous green skin. There's a 1,000,000 gold bounty for whoever manages to kill the horrible creature.
    [​IMG]Only a million? Surely, I'm worth a gazillon gold!

[​IMG]
    We then go to the Miskatonic University.
    The guy on the right is peeping throught the windows:
    [​IMG]The students at Miskatonic University are quite cute this year don't you agree?
    [​IMG]
    Inside the University. Most of the dialogues are tutorial (explaining stats, details on the combat system...).
    [​IMG]
    So we'll visit Innsmouth during our quest? I heard it's horrible all-year round.

[​IMG]
    The inn is next.
    [​IMG]
    We can recharge our MP here.
    [​IMG]
    Sign-posting the next step of our adventure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I've still got it!

We've seen everything in Miskatonia, we'll now continue our journey.

[​IMG]
    To the South, there's the broken bridge we've heard about in the inn.
    [​IMG]
    New enemies.
    [​IMG]
    At the East of the town, our current objective (taking a guess, since there's no quest compass).
    [​IMG]
    But for now we head North-West to do the side-quest of rescuing Shane the dog.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some wildlife was killed along the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And we enter a new Dungeon! I wonder what await us in there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    He's even got his portrait in the game, but I don't know if it will be used.
    [​IMG]

Edit: From the name of the file, it's Robert Khoo, which worked at Penny Arcade at the time and is credited by the game in the 'Special Thanks' categorie. And not Robert Boyd, which is in the picture above (guy named his company after himself (Zeboyd Games)).

^ Top  
  10. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Part IV: Rescuing Shane the dog

So, in a side quest dungeon, to rescue a dog!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    We're exploring a small cave.
    [​IMG]
    Compared to Inigo Montoya, those swordmen die easily.
    [​IMG]
    After a few more twisting corridors, we reach the end of the cave, where a dog is quietly waiting to be rescued.
    [​IMG]This must be Shane! Come on, boy, let's get you home!

When suddenly!

[​IMG]Halt! This dog has despoiled this sacred burial groung with its digging for bones! It must atone... by dying!
    [​IMG]No! Don't worry, boy, we'll protect you!
    [​IMG]Ruff ruff!
    [​IMG]
    We're fighting an asshole ninja ghost guardian spirit ! EPIC!

Then we beat this sorry excuse of a boss.

[​IMG]
    Cthulhu gains a level and can spread insanity far and wide!
    [​IMG]
    Umi gets better at healing

Once we've won the dog has disappeared.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Where did Shane go? I hope he's okay.
    [​IMG]I'm sure the dog just ran off back to its master. Let's head back.

[​IMG]
    We exit the dungeon and go back to the town.

[​IMG]
    The dog is back with its master.
    [​IMG]You rescued Shane! Please take this! It belonged to my grandfather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compared to the other sword, this one increase magical damage, which is useless since Cthulhu does not have any spell, but it increase the Agility, which help to strike first in combat.
    I'll use the new one and see how it goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the Shrine of Heroes is reach by Cthulhu and Co.

Since this update was rather short, I'll try to put the next one quickly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Part V: The Shrine of Heroes

We're going to explore a dungeon! And kill monsters! And meet people!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is the Shrine of Heroes. All the great heroes have made a pilgrimage here. First McStrongpunch, Magellan, Dash the Daring, Alma the Younger, Hero, Rescuemanboy...
    [​IMG]and now Cthlhu! I shall scale the heights of the Shrine of Heroes, thus proving to all that I am a true hero!

[​IMG]
    I'd have to say that this dungeon is much better looking that the last two. It's a welcome change from those caves.

[​IMG]
    Minor loot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New enemies. The two hearts on the left are healers and are rather annoying when you forget to kill them first.

[​IMG]
    We've reached the second floor.

[​IMG]There's a massive door on the other side of this wall. Our goal is past there, no doubt.
    [​IMG]You can see through walls? That's so cool!
    [​IMG]Yes, I am the coolest!
    [​IMG]It looks too big to open by hand. There must be a switch somewhere around here that will open it for us.

[​IMG]
    So we continue to explore this level.

[​IMG]
    That's nice. Strength is used to calculate the damage of the standard attack and physical special attacks.

[​IMG]
    The beltman is supposedly so dangerous that we were warned about him in Miskatonia. But I didn't had any difficulty fighting him, so I think the warning was not warranted.

[​IMG]
    Cthulhu can now use his tentacles!
    We've also had another level-up for Cthulhu and two for Umi, but since it was only stats upgrade, I didn't capture them.
    [​IMG]
    We've reached the switch.
    [​IMG]
    Which does its job as expected, opeing our way to the next level.

[​IMG]
    We then go to the next level

[​IMG]
    I find a sword for Cthulhu, which I already had, having bought it in Miskatonia. :|
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But the trident, on the other hand, is an excellent upgrade for Umi.

[​IMG]
    We've reached the last floor of the dungeon.
    [​IMG]
    It's a nice view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Wielding a sword that big would prove to everyone that I am a true hero! I must have it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Being of darkness, you dare to claim me? En garde!
    [​IMG]
    The battle is joined!

[​IMG]
    Cthulhu tentacles proved very usefull, but he got KO'ed. I revived him with a potion from Umi.
    [​IMG]
    The inevitable (when one is playing on normal difficulty) comes and no one can stand before our might!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A pair of level-up, the new spell from Umi will be usefull, since she didn't have yet a single-target spell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Not exactly a good guy... But I am trying to be a hero! Nevermind the reason!
    [​IMG]Is it true?
    [​IMG]Cthulhu and Umi nod.
    [​IMG]Then I owe you an apology. Allow me to offer you my services.
    [​IMG]Cthulhu reaches for the giant sword.
    [​IMG]Not as a weapon. As an ally.
    [​IMG]The master swordsma... I mean swordsword, Sharpe, has joined your party.
    [​IMG]Yay! A new friend!
    [​IMG]Yes! More Power!
    [​IMG]Let's celebrate by partying at the cafe back in town!
    [​IMG]An excellent idea, young lady.
    [​IMG]No need to backtrack through the dungeon. Just open the main menu and select Teleport to go back to any town or city you have already visited.

I'd have to say that Sharpe is a pretty dumb name for a sword.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But since I never do what I should, I instead go through the dungeon again instead of quick-travelling. Since I had done all the random fights, this time was very quick.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    The Beltman needed to be explicitly referred to because it's a Nomura reference, and it's so witty and creative and such a proof of nerd cred

Have you tried Cosmic Star Heroine, the last game the devs threw out? I didn't, but the art seems at least to be competent.

^ Top  
  13. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    I did not get the Nomura reference, because I had not played any jRPG before Cthulhu saves the World and the previous game of the devs. Perhaps that's why I can enjoy these games, since the tropes don't seem overplayed to me and I have no "I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THAT IS" moments. Or perhaps I just like their writing.

No, I haven't, even if I am cautiously interested. Perhaps next time I want to play a sci-fi RPG, I'll check it again.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Part VI: Deep South Travels

In which we'll try to party, meet a real hero and start cleaning a neighbourhood.

Show Spoiler

So we're trekking back from the Shrine of Heroes to Miskatonia.

[​IMG]
    The new character Sharpe, is a warrior, with very strong physical stats, but also weaker magical stats. Which means that his spell damage and resistance is lower, while he does more damage with his basic attacks and skills.
    His concept of sword is played straight, since his equipment is Blade + Hilt :M.

So since we've gained a party member, we've also unlocked new multi-char techniques;
    [​IMG]
    For Sharpe+Umi, it will protect her from attacks, which might be interesting to make sure that our healer stay on her feet during the whole fight.
    [​IMG]
    For Cthulhu, it's a high-damage, single target attack, which then reduce their HP to 1. And since it's a combo finisher, its damage will increase with the combo meter, but I don't think it will be that useful. If you've got an enemy that has to die, it would be better to just use the combo finisher skill of either Cthulhu or Sharpe and another attack from the second, it should be just as efficient and without losing nearly all your HP.

[​IMG]
    We're killing a few enemies of the lowlands on our way back.

[​IMG]
    Sharpe get a level-up and a nice party-wide buff.

[​IMG]
    Once arrived at Miskatonia, we first sell our excess weapons to the merchant.
    I've also checked if any dialogue has changed now that we've been to the Shrine but that's not the case, including the old geezer who sent us there in the first place.

I've just discovered that I can interact with the bookcase in the University, but most snippets are lame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Ugh! A romance novel!

[​IMG]
    We then head to the inn, since it seems the main quest can only move forward when we're visiting such places.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]But, but... party! :negative:
    [​IMG]Sorry!
    [​IMG]
    Imagine the public's reaction if it was a male character who was acting and saying the same thing...
    [​IMG]So tell me all about yourself! What kinds of food do you like? Do you have any hobbies? Am I your type? Do you like rainbows? What do you do under the sea in R'lyeth? Do you have a pet squid?
    [​IMG]Oh did you say something?
    Number of fucks given: 0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Pay attention when I'm speaking to you! :argh:
    So already they went from a rock star/groupie relationship to old couple ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The city of Dunwitch has been overrun by undead monsters! Are there any dudes bad enough here to rescue the city?
    [​IMG]Hahaha! This is just the chance I've been waiting for. Surely saving an entire city will qualify me as a hero.
    [​IMG]But how did you get here? The bridge between Miskatonia and Dunwitch has been broken for ages.
    [​IMG]I fixed it on my way here.
    This man is a real hero. The river is wide enough to prevent passage to the current party, which includes a squid-man and a mage specialized in water magic. And then this guy, while running across the country (since Dunwitch isn't exactly next door), repair the bridge well enough for foot traffic, just like it was nothing.
    It's the hero the American infrastructure needs!
    [​IMG]To reach Dunwitch, just head south! Please, noble squid-face man! Save our city!
    [​IMG]Consider it saved! Let's move out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So we leave the city to Dunwitch, walking south.

[​IMG]
    We meet some enemies on the way there. The orcs were already in the Shrine of Heroes, but I didn't post any pictures of them.
    [​IMG]
    It's more Scorpio Rat than Lobster Rat to me. Perhaps the authors should have paid more attention in natural science class?

Along the way, we took the opportunity to listen what the group is talking about
    [​IMG]Sharpe, doesn't it dull your blade walking around on it like that?
    [​IMG]Oh, I don't actually walk on my blade. It just look like I do. I actually use magic to hover just slightly above the ground.
    [​IMG]I wish I could use magic to hover. My feet are so tired from all the walking we do.
    [​IMG]You know it's pretty tiring to hover. It's not like it's a free ride or something.
    [​IMG]Oh? Then I guess it's walking for me!

[​IMG]
    We cross a swamp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then we reach Dunwitch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]We can do this! Let's give theses unholy monstrosities their just desserts!
    [​IMG]Let's go!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]A zombie is a noble creature. Free of sanity, enjoying every whim that comes to it. Although we may have to kill some zombies to free this town, I will NOT authorize killing any more than is needed. Do you hear me?
    [​IMG]Um, okay?
    [​IMG]Showing mercy even to monsters? Perhaps I have misjudged you.
    [​IMG]I just like insane things. Is that a problem?
    [​IMG]Of course not! Onward! To save the city and the zombies!

[​IMG]
    So here we are in Dunwitch.
    [​IMG]
    The zombies forward block our way, we'll have to go around.
    [​IMG]
    We still have random fights.

[​IMG]
    We enter the house above and meet a NPC which still has his brain (sort-of).
    [​IMG]Adventurers come to save us? Praise the heavens! You'll want to make your way to the eastern part of the city - that's where the creature that started this whole mess is!
    [​IMG]The creature that started this whole mess? Did you get a good look at it?
    [​IMG]It was an ugly monstrosity! Very chaotic and crawling about.
    [​IMG]Nyarlathotep, my old nemesis! This should be a fun fight!

[​IMG]
    We exit the house and continue our way.

[​IMG]
    More random fights.
    [​IMG]
    We get a level-up for the whole group, but only Cthulhu get something interesting with a self-heal, Umi and Sharpe only get stats upgrades.

[​IMG]
    We finally reach the local cemetery, where most of the tombs are empty. We can interact with all the tombstones, some of which have fun snippets (fun enough that I'm posting the pic at least).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Rest in Peace. Please Don't Come Back And Eat Our Brains.
    [​IMG]That makes more sense! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We get some loot for Cthulhu. This tunic nearly double Cthulhu's physical resistance, but lower his magical defence to 0, so it will be useful until we meet mages or the boss.

[​IMG]
    Killing zombie movie tropes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We go through the church which is alongside the cemetery, saluting the local priest.

[​IMG]
    We then find ourselves back in the street among the dancing zombies.

And I'll stop here, since I don't think I'll have time to finish Dunwitch before the week-end, so I prefer to post what's already done.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Considering the devs who has made the game, I don't think we'll see something like that.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Part VII: Night of the Dancing Dead :dance:

In which we're continuing to clean up a city and we meet another perfectly adjusted individual.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    We're leaving the local church, among the crowds of zombies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're going throught the house on the right to reach a chest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We get our slimy hands on a new blade for Sharpe.

[​IMG]
    While trying to move forward, a group of zombie cops try to arrest us. Apparently the basic reflexes are still present.

[​IMG]
    The way forward is blocked by this broken bridge. There was a bridge on the overworld map, it's a cool detail to have it on the local map too.

[​IMG]
    We continue our way to the left a house.
    [​IMG]
    Downstair is blocked by zombies, so we take the stairs to the upper level...
    [​IMG]
    ...where we meet a little girl.

[​IMG]My bother said he'd be back soon. What's taking him so long?
    [​IMG]Actually...
    [​IMG]I'm sure he'll be back soon, little one. Don't worry!

Sharpe is either increibly naive or a big softie. Considering how he joined the gang, it might be the former.

[​IMG]
    The present day equivalent would be bitcoin mining.
    [​IMG]
    We then have a frank exchange of opinions with the local book club.
    [​IMG]
    Sharpe extends his understanding of the world.

[​IMG]
    We leave the house and cross an intact bridge.
    [​IMG]
    Potions are useful, since they can be use to revive fallen PCs in combat. I've already used some of them.

[​IMG]
    The continuous mole-popping get us another level for Umi, which get a multi-target poison spell. Cthulhu got for his part another level-up, but just stats upgrades.

[​IMG]
    We reach another house.
    [​IMG]
    Instead of selling weapons, perhaps he could use them to save himself? Still we're using the opportunity to do some shopping.

[​IMG]
    New armors for everyone
    [​IMG]
    and a new trident for Umi, which will boost her poison spell.

[​IMG]
    The road is blocked by zombies and cars
    [​IMG]
    So we go through this ruined house
    [​IMG]
    So that's what the devs used to do their game?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We exit the house and reach the edge of this map.

[​IMG]
    Next map and we see someone who doesn't look like a zombie!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:whiteknight:[/font]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But fear not! Since this is a competent woman who can defend herself! Unlike Umi when we met her.
    [​IMG]
    Joke... fell flat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Why am I still sane?
    [​IMG]Oh don't worry about that! He's one of the good guys now! That was pretty awesome how you burned those zombies!
    [​IMG]Most impressive, young lady.
    [​IMG]I could use a mage of your considerable talents. What do you say?
    [​IMG]Me?
    [​IMG]I'd be honored to serve you, dark lord.
    [​IMG]Dark lord?
    [​IMG]She is obviously a practicioner of the dark arts and as such, knows all about me.
    [​IMG]Yes, I'm October, a necromancer. When I heard about the zombie uprising, I came here immediately? Unfortunately, my power is too weak to take control of this many zombies.
    [​IMG]I wager it's no ordinary necromancer who has created the chaos here. No, I imagine it's the deity, Nyarlathotep, who is behind this.
    [​IMG]A deity?
    [​IMG]Have no fear! Nyarlathotep is naught but a fly compared to my awesome power! A power that will be even greater with a talented necromancer at my side.
    [​IMG]It is a pleasure to mee you all!
    [​IMG]October has joined the party!
    [​IMG]I sense a powerful force in the eastern part of the city. Let's go!

[​IMG]
    And so we're joined by a necromancer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Ugh, this game is even more pretentious and cringe-worthy than what I remembered. Hell, even the developer has a punchable face. On the plus side, I think Cosmic Star Heroine has an actual plot instead of "in-your-face" jokes.

Also you should play good jrpgs instead of games like this one, you're missing a lot. I mean stuff like Eartbound, Final Fantasy 4-6, Suikoden 1, 2, and 5, etc.

^ Top  
  19. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Have you played Cosmic Star Heroine? How is it? Asking for a friend.

Do you have any recommendation as a first good jrpg for a newb? The only jrpg I've played are this one and the previous from the dev.

^ Top  
  20. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Part VIII: The End of Dunwitch

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    So the new character is a mage, going by her stats.
    [​IMG]
    She doesn't have anything that look like a necromantic spell, so it look like a case of gameplay and story segregation. But her spell will still be useful to finish traversing the town.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To go around the zombies and cars blocking the street, we have to enter a house to go around. It's going to be that for the rest of the level: Way blocked, find house, go through house, with sometime loot or survivors.
    [​IMG]
    Some survivors.

[​IMG]I want my mommy!
    [​IMG]Mommy will be back soon, dear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]How useless!
    [​IMG]Maybe not. What if a cat joins our group?
    [​IMG]Hahaha! How ridiculous would that be!
    :M

[​IMG]
    We leave those poor souls to their fate and we continue toward the architect of the plague.

[​IMG]
    This enemy is a real necromancer, since they got a raise dead spell. But he's not too hard to take down.

Since we got a new character, it means we have new multiple characters techniques
    [​IMG]
    For October+Umi, it's just a buff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But with Cthulhu and Sharpe, it's multi-target attacks, which are quite useful to thin the mobs facing us.

[​IMG]
    Another house...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Nah, just messing with ya.:troll:
    [​IMG]Curse you you, narrator!:argh:

[​IMG]
    We find some loot while dumpster diving.

[​IMG]
    Lol.

[​IMG]
    The zombie-killing business is going strong, October get two level-up...
    [​IMG]
    ...while the rest get one. I'm only showing those two, since all others are just stats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We continue to make our way across the town, meeting another survivor.:keepmyjewgold:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another map, which is more or less the same. At this point, I've already depleted the random fights from the dungeon.
    [​IMG]
    So we only have to find our way between the houses and the zombies.

[​IMG]
    We find an anti-zombie zword in an attic. But since there's only the boss to fight, it's a little late.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Ewww!
    [​IMG]Cautionary indeed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One last transition.

Just before finishing the current map, the girls have small chat
    [​IMG]October, how did you et to become a necromancer?
    [​IMG]It just sort of runs in my family. Plus with my name being October, it just felt right to get involved in the occult.
    [​IMG]Becoming something because of your name? I wonder what that's like.

[​IMG]
    End boss in sight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]I'm here to be a true hero!
    [​IMG]What? I thought you were one of us!
    [​IMG]Not any more!
    [​IMG]It's a long story.
    [​IMG]If you're not one of us, then I shall do my worst!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]You know, I've never liked you, Cthulhu. Die!

[​IMG]
    The boss has those two fat zombie with him, which will keep respawning if you kill them. We concentrate on him and it's done quite easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Pitiful Nyarlathotep, accept your defeat with dignity.
    [​IMG]Nyarlathotep disappears.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]We did it! Victory pose!
    [​IMG]Cthulhu has gained 10 hero points! But still not a true hero.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The next fay, Cthulhu and his group leave the eastern city of Dunwitch. What new adventures will await them in the dreaded Ghost Forst? Press on, brave Cthulhu!
    :roll:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By whacking the boss, we get a handfull pair of level-ups, with new spells for the girls. The Lighting spell doesn't seem that interesting, but I'm wondering what the seal effect is. But even is seal useless, it's still the highest damage spell of Umi, so it's still interesting.

[​IMG]
    So nothing has changed in the city, it's still overrun by dancing zombies. Perhaps the dev should learn about reactivity?

[​IMG]
    And now we're leaving this green-covered town to the wilderness!

I think it should have been shorter. But since I did not played the full dungeon before starting to write (and I'm playing blind), I didn't know how long it would be. Still the adventure continues!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Also I'm currently enjoying Anachronox, which has been called a jrpg. But I like because of the writing, universe, visual design and characters, not because of the game system.

Thank you for Grandia II, I'll check this one or one from the list cited by lightbane

^ Top  
  23. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  24. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    Talking about the second one, the Western-made and with Real-time combat.

I'm not a great JRPG guy, sadly. I'm merely a dude that likes reading LPs

:lol:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    I haven't tried it yet, but I read good reviews about it.

Chrono Trigger should be right for you then, seeing that it is short and easy while lacking anime faggotry. Avoid the "sequel" Chrono Chross, it's unrelated and has experimental mechanics.
    After that Final Fantasy IV-VII should be good for more "proper" JRPGs.

Most of Shin Megami/MegaTen games are also awesome and usually lack anime stupidity (until the arrival of Persona 4 at least), but they're quite hard.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)