Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the Dark Eye

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Drakensang: the Dark Eye takes place 23 years after River of Time

River of Time heroine Angela Merkel would be in her forties at this point so we can’t play with her anymore.

A new hero arises, the healing mage Martin Schulz. Martin needs to travel to Ferdok to meet the one and only Ardo of Boarstock, hero of River of Time.

H5WxE03.jpg

F69nIUP.jpg

YWCj0Jo.jpg

There’s an expert mode like in River of Time but unfortunately bonuses/penalties cannot be edited.

Martin will ignore staves in favour of sabers.

xsBhFCp.jpg

The healing mage starts with some points in nature talents that are p. useful in the beginning.

The starting spells are quite useful as well.

QKRD5Vr.jpg

dVkOEh6.jpg

N3Tmrf7.jpg

The main task is to haul arse to Ferdok, the city in the distance.

v93jYVw.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 1: Arrival

Martin is immediately halted at a checkpoint of sorts.

QfJwiAn.jpg

bDfUDV4.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Is there a problem? I have traveled a long way and hope to reach the city of Ferdok before sunset.

zGzUOtP.jpg
We have so many problems here that I don't know where to start. First the reinforcements didn't turn up and now Ferdok has been sealed off! And all the while there's a pack of bloodthirsty murderers roaming the countryside! I'd like to know what's really going on. At the moment only dignitaries and travelers of good repute are given a pass to enter the city.

SUj2akk.jpg
Be that as it may, I have urgent business in Ferdok. Is this invitation from Viscount Boarstock sufficient?

zGzUOtP.jpg
The Viscount is a respectable man. But you won't get past Inspector Nandor without two attestors willing to vouch for your good character. Nandor is the customs inspector. He alone decides who can enter the city of Ferdok at this time.

SUj2akk.jpg
Then I will just have to find two attestors and present myself to the customs inspector. Thank you for the information, Sergeant.

Since Martin started the game with some nature skills, it is a good idea to start harvesting immediately, especially oneberries.

zjwkuWd.jpg

A cutscene starts when Martin reaches the camp past the checkpoint.

6PxYd2g.jpg

ahNmDYv.jpg

LxsWI49.jpg

aWJs0GF.jpg

j5P1eHv.jpg

48wk7gB.jpg

The boobalicious Gypsy Queen is the first of two attestors that Martin needs.

nyAo7jw.jpg

nUQ3kG9.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I am Martin Schulz and I am traveling to Ferdok. I overheard your conversation with the guard by chance.

OL20JsE.jpg
Oh, then you know that I was robbed. The thief stole a very valuable diadem - it was a family heirloom.

SUj2akk.jpg
That is most regrettable. Is there anyone in particular who you suspect?

OL20JsE.jpg
Hmmm, well… it was…

hBCX0qr.jpg
Go ahead and say it, sister. It was Dranor. Your beloved Dranor.

OL20JsE.jpg
Hamlok, you old crow! Keep your nose out of my affairs!

hBCX0qr.jpg
... if you had listened to me back then, you would have less problems now!

SUj2akk.jpg
Oh, stop your quarreling! It's unbearable! If you have to keep interrupting then at least tell me how I can get to Ferdok.

OL20JsE.jpg
Just ignore that little weasel. Even if Dranor is involved in all this, I don't think that it was his idea. Please, find my beloved Dranor. In return I will help you to reach Ferdok.

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright Salina. I will help you. Do you have any idea where Dranor might be hiding?

OL20JsE.jpg
Try looking for Runkel Bagthumper. He is an old friend of Dranor. I can't say that I like him, but perhaps he knows something. It wouldn't surprise me if he was behind all this!

SUj2akk.jpg
Can I ask you one more question, Salina?

OL20JsE.jpg
Of course.

SUj2akk.jpg
Who is that old grump wearing the Mountebank hat?

hBCX0qr.jpg
If you want something from me, ask me yourself!

SUj2akk.jpg
But… you didn’t want to talk to me.

hBCX0qr.jpg
Yes, but now I do! Didn't your parents teach you any manners?

OL20JsE.jpg
May I introduce to you my brother Hamlok, clown and jester extraordinaire!

hBCX0qr.jpg
Hello?! Did anyone hear what I just said? Right then, all eyes on me!

SUj2akk.jpg
Never mind. It does not matter.

OL20JsE.jpg
Just let him complain. He doesn't have much else in life.

SUj2akk.jpg
Perhaps you can tell me why the road to Ferdok is blocked?

OL20JsE.jpg
I haven't got the foggiest idea. Even Nandor won't tell me anything. Normally I can always get some information out of him.

hBCX0qr.jpg
Hehehe, that old fool Nandor. You should marry him instead of that thief!

SUj2akk.jpg
I would like to know more about Dranor.

OL20JsE.jpg
What exactly would you like to know about him?

SUj2akk.jpg
What kind of a man is Dranor?

OL20JsE.jpg
Why do you ask? Do you want to increase my pain and suffering? Dranor is a wonderful man. His skin is like velvet and his hair is like silk. His voice is full of vigor and yet it is so gentle... He is a magnificent swordsman and yet his touch is so soft...

hBCX0qr.jpg
... and he never misses the chance to steal what does not belong to him! Spare us your love songs, sister... Dranor of Grambush is an arrogant fool. A good-for-nothing liar and a thief.

SUj2akk.jpg
I've had enough of this! Stay out of this you old grump! I want to talk to your sister, not you!!!

OL20JsE.jpg
Just ignore him, Martin Schulz.

SUj2akk.jpg
What are you doing here?

OL20JsE.jpg
We wanted to go to Ferdok. Work is almost finished on the new Temple of Our Lady, and the count has announced that there is to be a big festival in Ferdok to celebrate this momentous event. A good Mountebank never misses a party.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you. I have to leave now.

In the camp is also Auralia the Alchemist from River of Time, now 23 years older.

vHprsHS.jpg

S4whwNL.jpg

Bagthumper whom Salina spoke of, is along the road past a mercenary camp.

3INOyoj.jpg

f1WZKjf.jpg

XCKyEsb.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
My name is Martin Schulz. Salina has asked me to find her lover. Are you Runkel Bagthumper?

7CFGwYM.jpg
What? No ... er ... I mean ... yes. But I had nothing to do with the theft of her diadem!

SUj2akk.jpg
That may be true. Otherwise you would have left town long ago. I thought you might have an idea where I can find Dranor.

7CFGwYM.jpg
Perhaps. There was a strange man at Salina's show earlier. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. But whereas everyone else had their eyes glued to her beautiful body, he only had eyes for her diadem. And believe me, I know that look.

SUj2akk.jpg
That certainly does sound suspicious. But how will that help us find Dranor? Do you think the mysterious stranger might be behind the theft?

7CFGwYM.jpg
Not necessarily. But he spoke with Dranor after the show and it looked as though he was threatening him. Dranor is an honorable rogue. He would never steal from the woman he loves. If Dranor is mixed up in this then I'm sure that stranger has something to do with it.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean? Where could Dranor be?

7CFGwYM.jpg
That stranger is in league with the gang of murderers. If you can find those scoundrels then you will find Dranor. I don't know where their hideout is, but perhaps the innkeeper at 'The Jagged Blade' can help you. He knows the countryside hereabouts like the back of his hand. Perhaps he will have an idea.

7CFGwYM.jpg
I hope you find them. Thanks to Salina I can't take 10 paces without arousing the suspicions of the town guards and the villagers. We can never complete our mission without the help of someone who can move about freely.

SUj2akk.jpg
Mission? What mission?

7CFGwYM.jpg
Hmmm... Me and my big mouth... Oh well, it's too late now: Dranor and I wanted to join the Guild of Thieves in Ferdok. We are actually here for our entrance examination.

SUj2akk.jpg
I understand. Perhaps I can help you. What exactly is your mission?

7CFGwYM.jpg
Would you really help us? OK, listen up. We have to complete three tasks, each of which requires exceptional skill. Which is why I came here with Dranor - he's a born thief.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do I have to do?

7CFGwYM.jpg
Great. Now to the tasks... There are three tasks but I only know the first one. Completing this task will lead us to the second task. Our orders are "Find the chest at the Aves' Shrine and steal its contents."

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you. May Phex be with you.

On the way to the inn is a peddler who offers 2 ducats in exchange for 10 oneberries. Easy money.

Mqxk64v.jpg

QGhfQT9.jpg

At the inn is a feisty young womyn who is to become Martin’s first party member.

ap0hSAH.jpg

hGIUQCk.jpg

OXUE86Z.jpg

FVP3knK.jpg

Martin had to talk to the innkeeper for more information on the robbers.

iJXg2bD.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
A certain Runkel Bagthumper suggested that you might know more about the gang of thieves. Rumor has it that they might have stolen Salina's diadem. Do you have any idea where their hideout might be?

Ru6MGsI.jpg
I have no idea where those outlaws might be hiding. And if I did I would have told the guards a long time ago. But if I was leading a gang of outlaws I would hide in the Dark Forest - on Bald Mountain in the southwest. Bald Mountain is a high plateau with excellent views of the surrounding area and it's a long, long way from Sergeant Erland and his men.

SUj2akk.jpg
Please tell me more about this bear you were talking about.

Ru6MGsI.jpg
If you want to know more about the bear go and see Owlstone the Hunter. He has put a bounty on the bear's head. I'm not much of a Hunter myself so I can't tell you anything more.

Martin will need help if he is to enter the forest so he decides to recruit the amazon.

TlWVZQt.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with the innkeeper. Perhaps I can help you.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Help?! Me? Hahaha! A Daughter of Kurkum never needs helping, and don't you forget that!

SUj2akk.jpg
I thought you might want someone to help you find a bear.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Pah! I am just getting bored of waiting for permission to continue on to Ferdok. When I heard that a wild bear had been attacking the villagers, I thought that might be something of a challenge and a nice way to pass the time.

SUj2akk.jpg
Well if you are that bored perhaps you would like to accompany me to the Dark Forest. I am sure we will find plenty of challenges within its depths.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Hmm... By Rondra's sword, why not?! It certainly sounds better than listening to this blathering innkeeper all day. Alright then, I shall join you.

SUj2akk.jpg
Good, let’s go.

Rhulana is p. badass.

20IBgdk.jpg

The saber is Rhulana’s weapon of choice but it is useful to develop some other weapon talents too. In particular two-handed swords will be of interest later.

g0AdaCc.jpg

S2PQ8SG.jpg

wmstxOn.jpg

WRzZ8ik.jpg

At the inn is also a Horasian merchant with a small task.

Bu1CzJs.jpg

9ZP7vRx.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
[Human Nature]: [This man is being too friendly. Perhaps he is trying to cheat you.]What can I do for you?

NPlb16G.jpg
I'm a traveling merchant and I have lost a small parcel somewhere along the way to Ferdok. It doesn't weigh more than a couple of eggs. I will give you 4 silver thalers if you can find it for me.

SUj2akk.jpg
What is in the parcel?

NPlb16G.jpg
Um… some pipe tobacco.

SUj2akk.jpg
You’d pay 4 silver thalers for some tobacco?

NPlb16G.jpg
It's my favorite blend. There's nothing else like it in all of Aventuria. Sinoda Goldleaf. Griffinsford Cut on the other hand tastes as though you are smoking pinewood chips.

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't believe you, Gallo. What is really in the parcel?

NPlb16G.jpg
It's impossible to pull the wool over your eyes. I trade in delicacies. The parcel contains a packet of Kosh Bunting Tongues. These tasty morsels are among the most popular and expensive of my wares.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell that to the mighty Praios. I have the distinct impression that you tried to trick me. I'll have to weigh up every word you say in future.

NPlb16G.jpg
Please consider my offer. I need the parcel.

Time to get down to business.

Modron

Arcane
Ah Drakensang: TDE, it starts off promising enough but the final handful of areas are a slog. Big areas filled with tons of mobs and just a handful of quests in them. Still given what a marked improvement River of Time was I would have liked to have seen a third game. Hmmm, I probably say this every time somebody brings up Drakensang.

Still I think I played through this twice in the dark ages. Plus the tittays were yuge.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I remember how i dropped this one right after reaching the final area as a terribly built dwarven prospector(he is called that in the english version, right?).
Can't remember why i didn't drop it sooner at the trog ruins/catacombs.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I always read "Drunkensang"

(Probably best played drunken...)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 2: Dranor

On the bridge to the forest are more chumps.

1MPyil4.jpg

NolBxzH.jpg

There was a Nottel in River of Time too…

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm sure that a magician of his caliber can look after himself, can't he?

7AiHrOd.jpg
Our master has seen many divine cycles and reptilian conspirators have troubled his life often enough, especially during his last journey. At times he can be quite... confused. That's why we try to keep an eye on him at all times.

SUj2akk.jpg
So where were you when he disappeared?

ySqMRNg.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Ferdok Pale Ale?

fX52ugr.jpg
Ferdok Gold, actually. A fantastic beer! The pinnacle of Garethian brewing, wouldn't you agree Nottel? An hour spent with that beer is an hour well spent. But we couldn't quite decide what the aftertaste reminded us of...

SUj2akk.jpg
All right. All right. Do you know in which direction Rakorium went?

fX52ugr.jpg
The innkeeper said that Master Rakorium mumbled something about gathering herbs and then left in the direction of the Dark Forest. He didn't say anything to us before he left. We just looked away for a moment... and then he was gone!

SUj2akk.jpg
I presume you were distracted by your beverages. Well, I'll see what I can do.

4lUWLUi.jpg

In the forest at the hunter’s is the first combat encounter in the game – against a lone wolf.

BEjIF6G.jpg

WLC4JGW.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Is there anything else I can do for you?

pdTaVPR.jpg
Yes, there is. A pack of wolves led by a snow white female has been marauding about the countryside. The leader is a cunning beast and the pack has avoided all of my traps. There are too many of them for me to hunt them down alone. You could help me by killing their leader and bringing me her pelt.

SUj2akk.jpg
Is the problem with the wolves really that serious?

pdTaVPR.jpg
Oh, it's not just that. There's also a wild bear causing trouble. It has already attacked a number of travelers. I haven't been able to trap him yet, but you can follow his tracks to the cave at the Berry Lake. Avestrue would be a much safer place without him. Bring me his head as a proof of your success.

SUj2akk.jpg
I will take care of your problems.

Aside from wolves there are boars lurking in the forest as well. With Rhulana around we can handle it.

jqM1Kew.jpg

jsj9sxI.jpg

The entrance to the mountain on the north eastern part of the map is guarded by two thugs. Their loot contains a new saber for Rhulana.

blkN2Ds.jpg

iJqdRwH.jpg

GZn6SgX.jpg

Entering the mountain a cutscene starts. Dranor is here, along with a lizardman thing.

ayDPUnl.jpg

tpnulrm.jpg

DV4a1KR.jpg

73f8Irj.jpg

The lizardman teleports away but leaves some thugs behind.

XAUbf9L.jpg

56Skf9F.jpg

pnaDXD2.jpg

Martin and Rhulana arrived in time to save Dranor’s ass.

JWC0U1v.jpg

twbz4uy.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Indeed. You must be Dranor. Salina is looking for you everywhere!

iiubZkI.jpg
Salina ... oh! By Rahja and Phex - I have to return! Or she will curse my name... I must return to her.

Dranor can temporarily be added to the party.

SUj2akk.jpg
Wait! We can travel together. I have a proposition to make.

iiubZkI.jpg
A proposition? What kind of proposition?

SUj2akk.jpg
I could use an adventurous young man like you as a traveling companion. Would you like to accompany me to Ferdok?

iiubZkI.jpg
Hmmm, that doesn't sound too bad. But what's in it for me?

SUj2akk.jpg
I just saved your life. Isn't that enough for now?

iiubZkI.jpg
True enough, good friend. Good, I shall accompany you. It certainly sounds a lot more lucrative than traipsing about with that simpleton Runkel Bagthumper.

Dranor is a rogue and we should make use of his talents while we can – especially Pickpocket. It's frankly the sole thing he's good far.

bfzM3N4.jpg

Before moving on, Martin decides to chat with Dranor a bit.

lh5Gw3B.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What did the dark stranger want?

iiubZkI.jpg
I don't want to sound like a coward, but just the thought of that guy gives me the shivers. He said "Bring me your Mountebank friend's diadem or I'll take it myself - and her soul with it!". Believe me, playing along was the only way to save Salina.

SUj2akk.jpg
I understand. But you still should have told Salina.

iiubZkI.jpg
After that he just told me that if I said anything to anyone, that person would meet a terrible fate. You've seen his power: he can appear and disappear at will! Who knows what else he's capable of? I had to keep Salina out of it!

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about this Runkel Bagthumper.

iiubZkI.jpg
There's not much to tell. We're old friends and we came here to take a simple entrance test. Who could have guessed that everything would go so wrong?

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about you and Salina.

iiubZkI.jpg
As a gallant lover, I shall maintain my silence on that matter. I will tell you this, though: she's the most wonderful, most enchanting and most affectionate creature in all Aventuria!

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about yourself.

iiubZkI.jpg
I'm Dranor of Belhanka, a noble of the bluest blood...

SUj2akk.jpg
Dranor, I'd much rather hear the real story.

iiubZkI.jpg
Forgive me ... I'm just so used to playing that role now. I'm not actually a Horasian, although I try very hard to come across as one. I'm Dranor of Grambush, a small town not far from Gareth. Well, life there didn't have a lot to offer me - and I had other talents besides raising livestock and farming - so before I got into trouble with the bailiff, I travelled to Gareth to pursue a career as a thief. Phex has been good to me: until today, the worst that ever happened was the occasional black eye.

Martin tries to chat up Rhulana too, but she’s not very forthcoming.

BNuJTMj.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Could I ask you something?

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
That depends on the question!

SUj2akk.jpg
You called yourself a 'Daughter of Kurkum'. What does that mean?

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
That’s none of your business!

SUj2akk.jpg
How did you get that scar in your face?

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Let's just say that the man who did this to me, never really recovered from his injury.

SUj2akk.jpg
What exactly brings you to Ferdok?

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
I wander on Rondra's path, that is all you need to know about me.

SUj2akk.jpg
I’m sorry. I did not mean to intrude.

Now with a party of three Martin can take care of the main tasks: finding Rakorium, taking care of the wolf and bear.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 3: Rakorium

On the way to a mine marked on the map is a hidden area of sorts with flying pests.

w6jNxIR.jpg

A dead man’s letter leads to a hidden chest with some minor treasure.

MYTSop3.jpg

Pt9LAgZ.jpg

FMDuS0p.jpg

NjJFVww.jpg

O8ou584.jpg

Rakorium disappeared somewhere in the mineshaft.

6fSFkrs.jpg

cPi7iOE.jpg

Deep in the mine is a robber’s cave, but there are no enemies, only rocks.

4VVsqb7.jpg

kOUlJQx.jpg

AOTFH2N.jpg

7Fh58C8.jpg

Rakorium is deep into the cave; he’s even more of a dotard now than he was 23 years ago, during River of Time.

ta1ukSr.jpg

qR7aHlm.jpg

diej3PM.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, I am Martin Schulz. Are you Master Rakorium?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Yes, yes. That's me. These paintings... I would... Well then boy, what do you want from me?

SUj2akk.jpg
You seem a little confused, Master Rakorium. I was sent here to find you. Won't you come outside with me? Your apprentices Rufus and Nottel are worried about you. They said that you could help me get to Ferdok. I need two respectable citizens who will vouch for my good character.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Hmmm... where are those two useless... I mean, where are my apprentices exactly? We were at the inn and then they suddenly disappeared... at least you are still here, Nottel.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm not your student Nottel, Master Rakorium. My name is Martin Schulz.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Well that's a very nice name... of course you aren't my apprentice. You know when I was young... oh, what was her name again?

SUj2akk.jpg
Let's go now. I shall lead you out of the caves.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Ah yes, time flies, doesn't it? I have to reach Ferdok before sundown... Shall we go then? Once we get back to the village I shall write you a... a letter of recommendation for the toll station. The two of us will stick together no matter how many bridges those scaly beasts occupy, won't we?

SUj2akk.jpg
What are all these strange boulders hereabouts? Are you somehow responsible for them?

IcRVYwP.jpg
I'm afraid that was my, um... doing! They were disciples of the lizards and the Dragons... But I fear my spell... They may wake up again soon... But what was that other spell I was thinking of...

SUj2akk.jpg
What exactly were you doing in the cave?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Investigating! What else do you think I was doing? There are... or did I come here to gather herbs? By Hesinde and Nandus, you've got me all muddled up... really! Now I can't even remember... what on Ethra was the name of that spell? Oh, hello! Didn't we want to leave?

SUj2akk.jpg
I think we should leave at once.

Rakorium will temporarily join and is p. fun to have around.

The spells he cast have absurdly high SP*.

Yht2pCX.jpg

yhT2GZG.jpg

IBdTDeE.jpg

Rhulana’s bear is in a cave area not far from the entrance, Rakorium is useful here too.

5guUKTe.jpg

J3iJGbV.jpg

z28xOFb.jpg

dqA9xZ0.jpg

Outside the cave Rakorium will unfortunately immediately zap off.

Wc9lpea.jpg

YmOaY3m.jpg

Returning to the hunter, he still has another task to care off.

NgwVQo6.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
But what am I going to do with a bear head? I thought you wanted it?

pdTaVPR.jpg
No, I just wanted to see some proof that you had really killed that beast.

SUj2akk.jpg
I understand, but what should I do with the head now?

pdTaVPR.jpg
Thalion the innkeeper recently mentioned to me that he would like to have a new trophy for his inn. Perhaps he would give you some money for it.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you perhaps have another task for me?

pdTaVPR.jpg
Yes, there is. A pack of wolves led by a snow white female has been marauding about the countryside. The leader is a cunning beast and the pack has avoided all of my traps. There are too many of them for me to hunt them down alone. You could help me by killing their leader and bringing me her pelt.

This wolf matter is quickly dealt with.

skHKiM1.jpg

0cpMiYW.jpg

FXXmSpz.jpg

Back at the hunter’s, we also have Rhulana learn Bowyery.

KK2PT6G.jpg

ennDg10.jpg

Martin meets Rakorium back at the bridge to the village and receives the first recommendation.

NCRV03k.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Martin Schulz! Master Rakorium! I've found you at last! You were... suddenly gone!

IcRVYwP.jpg
Of course I was. I always am when I cast... um...Transversalis Teleport. You seem very familiar... Hmmm... what did you say you wanted? I'm sure there was something...

SUj2akk.jpg
A letter of recommendation for the customs inspector. We talked about it in the cave.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Nodices Carmates Causali! Of course! Here it is...your letter. I hope Rufus has got your name right... oho! I should be in Ferdok by now! It's time for us to leave you two good-for-nothings. Rufus, Martin Schulz ... hold on tight! Transversalis Teleport!

That is the last of Rakorium… for now.

6MGwKK2.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 4: Salina

Martin can now wrap up some quests. First the bear matter.

gctcK3Z.jpg

There’s also the “thieves guild” quest that can be dealt with now that Dranor is around.

NfFDHXn.jpg

The chest contains nothing but an arcane message… Bagthumper will know what to do.

ZYNVAHU.jpg

VAijHOy.jpg

2JH48xd.jpg

Gotta admit, Dranor has a great trollface.

bjXywUN.jpg

7CFGwYM.jpg
Run off? Me?! I can't take ten paces without being stopped by a town guard thanks to you and your thieving!

iiubZkI.jpg
Oh, don't be like that pal. Things will get better.

7CFGwYM.jpg
I certainly hope so for you. Otherwise you might just have one more enemy! We still have some unfinished business!

SUj2akk.jpg
The chest at the Aves’ Shrine?

7CFGwYM.jpg
Why are you repeating what I said? Is something wrong?

SUj2akk.jpg
No, no. It's just that I found this note inside a chest at the Aves' Shrine. The note is written in code - I wonder if it has something to do with your examination.

7CFGwYM.jpg
Can I see it?

SUj2akk.jpg
Sure.

7CFGwYM.jpg
I was expecting something like this. The Guild gave me a key to decode encrypted messages. Show it to me. It says "Find the key and the second clue in the chicken coop at the farm."

The aforementioned chicken coop is guarded by a dog… the solution is pickpocketing a dog bone off the peasant woman and throw it to the dog.

Uho4WYP.jpg

YlIJD2S.jpg

siHcn5Q.jpg

The chicken coop just contains another arcane message.

JlRIpxG.jpg

ZaduOKc.jpg

Bagthumper decoding the message leads to the final part of this quest.

xJBCPLQ.jpg

Returning to Salina, Dranor goes full omega.

5QIcwFw.jpg

UaQsxMN.jpg

OL20JsE.jpg
What is there to explain? Give me back my heirloom - you know how much it means to me!

hBCX0qr.jpg
He doesn't have it anymore, right? The fop sold it for some quick coin.

iiubZkI.jpg
Yes, I don't have it any more ... But I didn't sell it! The stranger! He took it ...

OL20JsE.jpg
Oh yeah - and did the stranger just happen to let a bag of ducats drop for it?

hBCX0qr.jpg
Hehehe…

iiubZkI.jpg
Salina. Please believe me ... I only did it for us.

OL20JsE.jpg
Whatever, Dranor. You've disappointed me. It's going to take time for me to trust you again. So, go ... please.

Tough luck for Dranor.

8tzYjvK.jpg

OL20JsE.jpg
If your word isn't good enough for him, tell him I'll spill the beans about what he did on the first Praios Day last year.

SUj2akk.jpg
Don't you think you were a little hard on Dranor? After all, he was forced to carry out this crime in order to save your life.

OL20JsE.jpg
Yes, I know. But if he had taken me into his confidence, we could have found a way out of it together. I just need some time alone to sort out my feelings.

iiubZkI.jpg
Oh, Salina my sweetness. You can have all the time you need, I will always be yours.

OL20JsE.jpg
I know, my dearest. We just need some time. That's all.

SUj2akk.jpg
Salina, how did you know that I needed an attestor in order to continue my journey to Ferdok?

OL20JsE.jpg
It's difficult to keep anything a secret in a sleepy little village like this. It didn't take long for news of your arrival here in Avestrue to reach my ears.

SUj2akk.jpg
I suppose you are right. Thank you for your help.

OL20JsE.jpg
Oh no, I would like to thank you. I wish you a pleasant journey. Perhaps we will meet again at the celebrations in Ferdok.

Interestingly if we have Dranor pickpocket Hamlok, he carries Salina’s brooch… why?

a2HV7Fp.jpg

At any rate with the two recommendations in hand it is now possible to move on to Ferdok.

Across the bridge to the tollhouse two peasants are quarrelling over an apple tree.

t0iltnG.jpg

HuvtZ9K.jpg

ABW7TAI.jpg

tiDTNNh.jpg

SJEJWPn.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Good. I shall try to help you. But first you must explain to me what this is all about.

9hsv3cJ.jpg
Did you hear that, Georgie? Someone else will decide which of us is right. So drop that axe right now!

JwCbEMV.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Wait a moment! Why are you so keen to chop down the tree?

ofblA70.jpg
It blocks mighty Praios' view of my meadow! It blocks out the light and takes all the water out of the ground. And when there is a storm that tree creaks so loud that I cannot sleep at night...

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright, alright! But you do realize that your neighbor is very fond of this tree?

ofblA70.jpg
Hahaha! Of course he is fond of that tree. The good Goddess Peraine has blessed this tree with some of the best apples in the shire. He has a bumper harvest every year! And what do I get? Nothing!

SUj2akk.jpg
But there must be a better solution…

ofblA70.jpg
I don't think so! I'll just chop it down right now! It is half on my property anyway... And that will be the end of it! Now get out of my way!

SUj2akk.jpg
As the tree is standing directly on the border between your two properties, it is in fact the property of the Count of Ferdok. And what would he have to say, if he knew that you were harvesting his apples or even cutting down one of his trees?

ofblA70.jpg
Would we be thrown in a dungeon? I'm not going to spend the rest of my life in a dungeon for some tree... it's always the same, us farmers have nothing to say in this kingdom without the Count's approval.

SUj2akk.jpg
Well that's the law, Georgie. And you'd best stick to it! Well then Barnabas... The tree stays where it is, are you happy with that?

9hsv3cJ.jpg
Well, the tree might be staying where it is but if those apples belong to the Count, then all I will have in future are the over-ripe ones that fall on my field. And I won't get anything for them at the market.

SUj2akk.jpg
You pathetic wretches! I guess what they say is true. It's business as usual, as long as the farmers can still complain...

This absurd encounter at least grants some adventure points.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 5: Departure

Last thing to take care off before moving on is the thieves guild quest in the old mill.

TdskQN5.jpg

VqyCeZu.jpg

aqI4daj.jpg

5RHvDSu.jpg

There’s not much of interest inside the cellar; just barrels, a dead mule and giant rats.

JLf9Ian.jpg

SwyzOgW.jpg

The thief chest is in the middle of a rats’ nest.

xfTkepp.jpg

wPqZzEF.jpg

Zmu84gI.jpg

It’s clear what the message means, just read it backwards.

8ZsXLxI.jpg

Martin can now finally leave for Ferdok.

KTpfPoo.jpg

nhBnd4H.jpg

Prancelot of Scufflewick is here; you might remember a more youthful version from River of Time.

C9E051k.jpg

Listening to his blather grants 15 experience points.

m9lZB8y.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I wouldn't say no to a nice beer and some good company now.

Bp3THrX.jpg
Indeed! Praised be Travia! Cheers.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me, what do you think of Ferdok's beer? Does it live up to its legendary reputation?

Bp3THrX.jpg
By all the ancient dragons, indeed it does! It's the best brew in the entire Empire... if not all of Aventuria. And I know a lot about beer. Come, my friend - enjoy!

SUj2akk.jpg
Cheers Prancelot! By the way your helmet is quite remarkable.

Bp3THrX.jpg
Well you never know, you might own a trophy like this yourself one day soon.

SUj2akk.jpg
Those mighty wings... Is it a winged helmet such as those worn by Thorwalian pirates?

Bp3THrX.jpg
Indeed it is, by Rondra! This is the helmet of a true hero. Just the thing to wear when you face a dangerous opponent. Why even the mighty dragon Umbracor would shake with fear at the sight of this helmet. Do you want to know how I won it?

SUj2akk.jpg
Please, do tell.

Bp3THrX.jpg
It must be 15 years ago by now... Like all good stories this one begins at an inn... The Black Boar at Griffin Pass. I was resting at the inn with my companions. We hoped to cross Griffin Pass and enter the Principality of Kosh the following day. Suddenly the door was wrenched open, sending in a flurry of snow and ice. And who was standing here?

SUj2akk.jpg
An Orc perhaps?

Bp3THrX.jpg
Wrong! No less than seven mighty Thorwalians stormed inside, led on by the gigantic Hetmann Hyggelik - the greatest hero in all of Thorwal, slayer of sea snakes and the scourge of Drôl! And upon his head he wore this helmet.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hetmann Hyggelik? Hasn't he been dead for centuries?

Bp3THrX.jpg
It takes more than death to stop a great hero in his tracks! Hyggelik was as strong as 10 bears, he was built like a tree trunk and he had more scars on his face than a company of Orc war veterans. And do you know what he used his famous Cyclopean sword for?

SUj2akk.jpg
No. What? Tell me.

Bp3THrX.jpg
He used it as a toothpick! That's how big and horrible his teeth were. It wasn't long before Hyggelik and his Thorwalian companions began to complain about the beer and to smash their tankards on the walls. If there is one thing I won't stand for, it's folks insulting the good name of Ferdok's Pale Ale. Our dispute soon turned violent. Hyggelik and I stepped outside to settle things in an honorable duel. Hyggelik was furious and rushed at me with two axes in each hand.

SUj2akk.jpg
In each hand? But how on Ethra could he fight with two axes in each hand?

Bp3THrX.jpg
Before I could ask myself that I was struck by a hail of blows from his ... four axes. Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Then I launched my counter attack. I rushed at him and with one mighty blow I struck the helmet from his head. Haaa!

SUj2akk.jpg
You defeated him and claimed the helmet for your own?

Bp3THrX.jpg
And that is how it was! Since that day I have worn this noble helmet in many a battle and wooed many a lady... And, as we had agreed before the fight, Hyggelik and his Thorwalian companions spent the rest of the night singing that most beautiful of hymns, "O Ferdok's Beer, Thou Art So Fair"! Between the two of us Hetmann and I drank eight barrels that night!

SUj2akk.jpg
Surely you exaggerate, Prancelot!

Bp3THrX.jpg
No doubt you are still wondering how I dealt with those four spears that Hyggelik was carrying... My friend, you are yet to experience the many wonders of Aventuria. But I am sure that you will see for yourself soon enough.

SUj2akk.jpg
Spears? But you said that he was holding two axes in each hand! Prancelot, you are nothing but a braggart and your story is a pack of lies!

Bp3THrX.jpg
Lies?! As if a hero of my reputation would need to tell lies. If you truly think that my stories are nothing but lies, why did you bother listening to me?

SUj2akk.jpg
Whatever, Prancelot. Here's to you! And we thank the kind Goddess Peraine for blessing us with Ferdok's Pale Ale - the perfect drop for a good story!

Bp3THrX.jpg
Of course. Farewell.

Martin just needs to deal with the tollkeeper and the area is finished.

ivxinji.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Soldier! I am Martin Schulz, and I demand that you step aside.

AUnRXFk.jpg
Hahaha! Martin Schulz? I've never heard of you. You cannot enter Ferdok without a pass.

SUj2akk.jpg
Unfortunately I lost my pass. If my good name is not enough for you, then please tell me how I can apply for a new pass.

AUnRXFk.jpg
Ferdok is closed to all travelers. Only citizens of Ferdok and those traveling with a pass may enter the city. I can issue you with a pass, but you will have to name two respectable citizens willing to testify to your good character.

SUj2akk.jpg
I can name you two citizens.

AUnRXFk.jpg
Oh, really? Well then, let's hear who is willing to testify to your good character.

SUj2akk.jpg
Firstly, the beautiful Salina - Queen of the Mountebanks. She is more than willing to put in a good word for me. Secondly, I have here a letter of recommendation from Archmage Rakorium Montagonis.

AUnRXFk.jpg
Well indeed! A sealed and signed letter from the most venerable Rakorium. But I'm sure you made that up about Salina, didn't you?!!!

SUj2akk.jpg
I believe you have already made the acquaintance of the beautiful Queen of the Mountebank's, haven't you? I'm sure you remember the first day of Praios last year?

AUnRXFk.jpg
Alright, alright! That's enough! Salina would not have told you about that old story if she didn't trust you. I will issue you a pass at once.

SUj2akk.jpg
Wonderful! I can practically taste the delights of the big city already!

AUnRXFk.jpg
Here is your pass. Take good care of it. You will need it once you reach Ferdok. Farewell, Martin Schulz!

At long last, departure.

ZHvYyTV.jpg

Travelling on the world map, it’s common to run into random encounters.

OiQqSjU.jpg

SKVsznK.jpg

This very first encounter is just with some wolves.

nM2mmWU.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 6 : Ferdok

Arriving in Ferdok, apparently Martin forgot to do that lost parcel sidequest. But the merchant was ripping him off anyways.

cRGXXE0.jpg

k7JoHAB.jpg

At the gates of the city, Dranor will suddenly initiate dialogue.

Z9sLu8D.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What is it, Dranor?

iiubZkI.jpg
It looks like the gates are being watched by the town guards.

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't understand. We explained the whole matter with the diadem.

iiubZkI.jpg
Well, it's like this: a while ago, there was an incredibly stupid mixup between me and a con artist named 'Danor', and I've been wanted in Ferdok ever since. I still don't understand how it happened.

SUj2akk.jpg
You’re telling me this now?!

iiubZkI.jpg
Well, I didn't want to burden you with unnecessary details. I'll manage to slip into the city unseen somehow. There's more than one way to skin a cat ... if you've had enough practice ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Somehow, I always get a bad feeling when you're this confident.

iiubZkI.jpg
Don't worry. We'll meet in the Ducal Citadel, on the main square. Don't keep me waiting too long.

Dranor may be a p. useless character but he’s a good troll at times.

QxS18N3.jpg

KzzrVm4.jpg

hJvPZMT.jpg

H9JQzoY.jpg

q4TX7Ck.jpg

Martin and Rhulana can move on to Ardo in peace.

jX0jxwq.jpg

Re0mfW2.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Tollkeeper Nandor in Avestrue gave me this pass. Here, see for yourself.

OUHmckd.jpg
Very well. That all seems to be in order. I shall add you to the list of trustworthy persons. Then you will no longer need a pass. You have to understand, there has been a series of gruesome murders in Ferdok. We check anybody passing through the city gates very carefully.

SUj2akk.jpg
That explains why it has been so difficult for me to get here. I'm here at the invitation of a good friend who lives here. I'm not quite sure how to get to his place. Could you help me? His name is Ardo of Boarstock.

OUHmckd.jpg
Hmm. Let's see... Did your friend mention an address in his invitation?

SUj2akk.jpg
Sure. Here, in this letter. See for yourself...

OUHmckd.jpg
Ah, Praios Square. That's not far from here. Just cross over the bridge and go on up the path. That will take you directly to Praios Square.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you and farewell.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Let's set off to find your friend at once. Honor demands that we do so. After all ... I wouldn't be here, were it not for his invitation.

On the bridge Martin takes note of two arrogant nobles.

5yNwcm6.jpg

jBa4z3F.jpg

VOqTgsu.jpg

ttYMHae.jpg

Of course, along the way Martin runs into a citizen with another petty task, but now’s not the time for sewer diving.

CMLcnXX.jpg

go269Oj.jpg

GCXUXfJ.jpg

Martin arrives at Praios Square, but something seems to be wrong. What’s with the yuge cobwebs?

UAx2ROQ.jpg

lYePU9j.jpg

iX7YePZ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Forbidden? What are you talking about?! My friend Ardo of Boarstock lives here.

OUHmckd.jpg
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. Your friend was murdered at the harbor. We are searching the entire house for clues to the murderer's identity. We are almost certain that his was one of a series of ritual murders that have plagued Ferdok recently. I cannot allow you to enter until our investigations are complete.

:despair:

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't believe it! He wrote me a letter very recently asking me to visit him in Ferdok. And now he's dead?! I just don't understand it. Poor Ardo! I want to know all about these murders!

OUHmckd.jpg
I'm really sorry about your friend, but I can't help you any more even if I wanted to. Investigations conducted by the town guard are confidential.

SUj2akk.jpg
Somebody must be able to tell me something. You can't just leave me standing here, damn it!

OUHmckd.jpg
Forgive me. I do not mean to offend you. The only one who can help you right now is the Madam Captain of the town guard, Barla Borkensmith. She is leading the investigation into the murders. She should be at the guard house, not far from here. I'll mark it on your map.

SUj2akk.jpg
Well, I'll just have to go and look for her. Farewell.

As expected of an amazon, Rhulana is possessed of loyalty.

v1JZVF8.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you, Rhulana! Come on, let’s go.

At the guardhouse, there seems to be some excitement. Dranor got himself caught.

XauY0UF.jpg

Qwa7R2e.jpg

29prLiZ.jpg

ZZoGja5.jpg

YynKhMO.jpg

Srsly, fuck that loser.

In any case, Martin has better things to do.

UzfzRPv.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Sorry to bother you. My name is Martin Schulz. I just came from the Boarstock residence. I wanted to ask you about the death of my friend, Ardo of Boarstock. Guardsman Hassler told me you might be able to help me.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Greetings to you, on this sad occasion. Ardo of Boarstock was a respected citizen of Ferdok and his death has affected many people here. These truly are dark days for this town and its people. You can be sure that we will do all in our power to find his murderers.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Unfortunately I cannot tell you anything about this latest murder. Count Growin has commanded that we exercise the utmost discretion in handling these crimes. I'm afraid I must return to my duties now. Farewell, Martin Schulz.

SUj2akk.jpg
Just a moment! One of my best friends was murdered! Is there nothing I can do to help? If you are in agreement, I would like to ask around a little and try to find something out about the murders.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Hmm... Count Growin did recently announce a reward for the capture of the murderers. Not a good idea, in my opinion. It's true that we hardly have enough people because of the events in Avestrue and the loss of the Ferdok Lancers, but the town guard is still responsible for such investigations.

SUj2akk.jpg
I beg you, let me act as your deputy. I owe Ardo my life. By my honor, I shall not rest until I have found his murderers and brought them to justice!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Very well. As it means so much to you, I will give you official permission to investigate this matter in my name. I'll tell you a few things about the case, but I expect absolute confidentiality from you in return.

SUj2akk.jpg
By the good name of Ardo of Boarstock, you have my word of honor!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Good, so be it! Effective immediately, you are now acting officially in the name of the Ferdok town guard. So far, there have been three murder victims, all of whom died in the same way. The first victim was an old beggar by the name of Eelko. He was found in Wagoner's Home. The second victim was Sandor Kunger, a famous imman player also known as 'Dragon'. He was found dead behind the 'Fleet-Footed Ferret' tavern.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Your friend was found on a wharf in the harbor area. The guard on duty will give you the details. You will need to mention that you are working on my orders before he will tell you anything. We have already questioned a certain Gladys Shladromir and Ardo's bodyguard, a Dwarf named Forgrimm. Both appear to be beyond any suspicion.

SUj2akk.jpg
I know neither this Gladys nor Ardo's bodyguard. Do you know where I might find them? I would very much like to speak to them.

xLsNY0x.jpg
You're most likely to find Forgrimm under one of the tables in the 'Silver Pitcher', a tavern on Praios Square. He spends most of his time drunk since the death of his friend. As for Gladys Shladromir, all I can tell you is that she is often seen around Wagoner's Home. Where exactly, I cannot tell you. She seems a little suspect, even though she didn't have anything to do with the murders. You will need to be careful. Crime has soared in Wagoner's Home now the town guard is so overstretched.

SUj2akk.jpg
Then I'll get straight to work. Farewell, Madam Captain Borkensmith. I will not disappoint you!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Farewell, Martin Schulz. And good luck!

At the guardhouse is also a basic melee trainer we’ll make use of later.

685Sr6y.jpg

Martin decides to look for Gladys first, in Wagoner’s Home.

yLBu29x.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 7 : Gladys

Entering Wagoner’s Home, Rhulana drops an interesting line. Almada is the southernmost kingdom of the Empire of Middenrealm.

uljV4Ln.jpg

As Barla said, Wagoner’s Home is indeed infested by criminals. Martin is almost immediately waylaid.

jkMR07s.jpg

Lgh0FLQ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Why? What do you want?

QtfK7OM.jpg
Boris say: You pay silver for use road!

SUj2akk.jpg
I see. And who would this Boris be?

QtfK7OM.jpg
Boris me! Give silver. Or trouble!

SUj2akk.jpg
You want money from me?! You won't get a single farthing from me!

QtfK7OM.jpg
Lads! Trouble! Not pay silver!

Martin and Rhulana just flatten these mofos.

ubnwmBc.jpg

s5xWxRt.jpg

Martin decides to ask around for Gladys at the local tavern.

ToGJbJ5.jpg

kVIsafi.jpg

v8kqCfz.jpg

bXyVQP1.jpg
So, what can I get you?

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm looking for somebody. Her name is Gladys Shladromir. Could you help me? It's very important that I find her.

bXyVQP1.jpg
Heh! I'm looking for a woman too, hehe! But joking aside, Gladys is a woman who prefers not to be found. But she'll find you if it's important enough to her, you can rely on that. Err, just a moment...

bXyVQP1.jpg
Hey! Dan! Do you think the cellar will clear itself?! It should be done by now. Get to work!

r8tnHsE.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't have time to wait until someone just turns up. I need to speak with her urgently! It's about the murder of a mutual friend! Where is she?!

bXyVQP1.jpg
Listen boy, are you deaf? I don't know where Gladys is! But wait... maybe Fourfinger Salm knows where she is. What are you gawping at? Go and ask him!

SUj2akk.jpg
Fine, then I’ll go and do that.

58UyNbL.jpg

TCiuOX5.jpg
Ibrom, why talk to poor 'Dumb Dan' like that?! Just because he's a little slow, there's no need to bully him!

bXyVQP1.jpg
Listen here, Yallik! You want to do my job, do you? I can have him put you outside too, if you don't like the way I run things here!

SUj2akk.jpg
There's nothing the slightest bit 'serene' about this place. Listen to yourself! I'm off to speak with 'Fourfinger Salm'.

You might notice that some of the faggets here have the same name as the Thalaria sailors in River of Time…

4suyVWm.jpg

M2HZphX.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, Mr. Salm, but the innkeeper said you could tell me where to find Gladys Shladromir.

uTCFSPq.jpg
Really? And why should I help you, lad? I know a lot of people who are friends with Gladys. And I know something else for sure. You're not one of 'em!

SUj2akk.jpg
Listen to me! It's very important that I speak with her. If you can tell me where she is, then please tell me!

uTCFSPq.jpg
"Listen to me!", heheh! You're funny, you are. But I won't make your life difficult. I haven't seen her for a long time, but I think Cripple Reto spoke to her recently. Go ask him. I'm sure he can help you, you'll see!

osm4ag2.jpg

mik4p9p.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You're Reto, aren't you? Salm said you might be able to tell me where I could find Gladys Shladromir.

Azodwf3.jpg
Gladromir? Shladys... hmm... don't know...

SUj2akk.jpg
No! Gladys Shladromir!

Azodwf3.jpg
Oh, I see. Why didn’t you say so?

SUj2akk.jpg
Haha! It's an easy mistake to make. So do you know her?

Azodwf3.jpg
Nope.

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me?! But Salm just told me you spoke to her recently... and you're saying you don't know her?!

Azodwf3.jpg
Hahaha! You shouldn't take anything that old fool says seriously! He pickled his brain in moonshine a long time ago. Know what I mean? I can't help you, I really can't! Wait a minute... I think Goldtooth Yallik said something about Gladys earlier. Ask him!

z9mhcyA.jpg

p79vToP.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. I really need to speak with her. But one minute everybody here knows her, then nobody does. If you know where I can find Gladys, please tell me! It's really important!

TCiuOX5.jpg
Errr ... not sure... I don't know you. You could be a spy from the town guard. Know what? Best just forget it. Shouting too loud for Gladys can end badly. We don't want that, do we?

SUj2akk.jpg
That’s it! Tell me where she is right now!

bXyVQP1.jpg
Hold your horses! I don't want any trouble in my tavern! It's so difficult to get blood out of the wood floor. But nobody cares about that. "Soapstone will take care of it!" Pah!

TCiuOX5.jpg
Hehe ... don't worry, Ibrom! But back to you, stranger. I can't tell you where Gladys is for one simple reason. Cuz I don't know.

TCiuOX5.jpg
Just relax. Have a nice mug of Ferdok ale! You probably got enough farthings on you. I hope so, anyhow... Questions always make me really thirsty!

SUj2akk.jpg
Just forget it. No need to make a fool of me.

8QmjIof.jpg

There’s no choice but to leave but outside Yallik seems to follow Martin.

rWFtoiU.jpg

tQKcVWf.jpg

st8B1sN.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you following me?

TCiuOX5.jpg
Me? What are you talking about? I'm just stretching my legs a bit.

A few steps further Gladys shows up at long last anyway.

Xpx1kyj.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What? How? Who are you?!

7AwTc79.jpg

Of course, from River of Time we already know Gladys is Cano’s daughter.

SUj2akk.jpg
You're Gladys?! Please, forgive me. After all my problems finding you, I was starting to wonder whether you even existed! But here you are! Madam Captain Borkensmith was right. You really are difficult to find.

bEZxUUi.jpg
Heehee! I'll take that as a compliment from the Madam Captain. What else did she have to say about me?

SUj2akk.jpg
Well yes. She told me you're also a friend of Ardo of Boarstock. It was Ardo who asked me to come to Ferdok.

bEZxUUi.jpg
Ah! You must be Martin Schulz. He often spoke of you.

bEZxUUi.jpg
Goldtooth, everything's alright. You can go back now. Thanks again!

TCiuOX5.jpg
Yeah. No problem Gladys! Anything for you! Say hello to Cano for me. See you!

bEZxUUi.jpg
Welcome to Ferdok, even though it's a sad occasion for us both. But why did you want to meet with me?

SUj2akk.jpg
Why? Well. I want to clear up Ardo's murder and I thought you might be able to help me.

bEZxUUi.jpg
For Ardo? Yes, of course I'll help you! I've done a little research of my own. Unfortunately with limited success.

SUj2akk.jpg
How well did you know Ardo?

bEZxUUi.jpg
Ardo looked after me for a long time when I was younger. He taught me a lot about Middenrealm, and particularly about all the 'self-important snobs', as he always called the noble classes, hehe. You know, of course, that he was cut from very coarse cloth for a nobleman.

bEZxUUi.jpg
He told me then that he found learning to write very difficult and that he really only did it because it was essential for someone of his standing. Hehe - but he always said that bathing more than once a moon was nonsense and heresy. But I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I've him to thank for my stubbornness and my store of salacious details about various members of nobility. I miss him a lot.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you know about the murders?

bEZxUUi.jpg
They say there's been a series of murders, including Ardo's. But there are several things about it that seem a bit fishy to me..

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean?

bEZxUUi.jpg
I don't know for sure, but there's something wrong with the whole thing. It's just a hunch.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you happen to know a Forgrimm and where I might find him?

bEZxUUi.jpg
Forgrimm? Surely you don't mean that swell-headed, good-for-nothing Dwarf of a would-be bodyguard! He's probably in 'The Silver Pitcher' on Praios Square, drowning his sorrows in Ferdok Pale Ale.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for the information, Gladys.

bEZxUUi.jpg
Why don’t we search for Ardo’s murderers together?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, you’re right. Let’s go.

BmkTq3l.jpg

Gladys is a p. good character, taking care of all thieving and social skills. But social skills are sadly very rarely used in the game unlike River of Time.

eMZgW6A.jpg

Gladys may not be a Phex Deont like her father, but she can cast magic. She starts out with the odd spell Fandango of Fireflies.

pqLoamO.jpg

eUN9DPW.jpg

Gladys will need to learn some more spells, in particular the Armour spell. But as Martin is a full mage, she won’t need that many.

On the way back to Praios Plaza, Martin notices Bagthumper standing around.

rAyeYPx.jpg

PABELpf.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Oh, I'd completely forgotten. I hope you can forgive me. Were you able to finish the tasks yourself?

7CFGwYM.jpg
What? Well... I err... no. Not exactly. I... managed to get a drunken 'colleague' to tell me the secret word... err ... in return for a couple of drinks.

SUj2akk.jpg
Well stop complaining then. You got what you wanted!

Martin also takes note of another event - the timeless wailing of the cuckold. Though Finn we already ran into.

0UrwtPP.jpg

vcEc13W.jpg

XHA73Pa.jpg

vJVF5Gx.jpg

t6A9eFi.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 8: Forgrimm

The Silver Pitcher is on Praios Square near Ardo’s house. Along the way Martin buys some stuff for Rhulana.

SjQZww9.jpg

DURUx1t.jpg

oeGmupW.jpg

78Y4sGs.jpg

Inside, Forgrimm is boozing as expected.

mmb3Mkq.jpg

0xVsPJB.jpg

w9rAK6p.jpg

uXbhCo0.jpg

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Bah! ... get lost Gladys... You... wa... wanton hussy... wha ... Go away!

Forgrimm needs to be sobered up.

uy6gey6.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I must speak urgently with Forgrimm. Our mutual friend, Ardo of Boarstock, was murdered and I need his help immediately. But as you can see, he's completely plastered.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
... *hic* ... ohh, Ardo ... my friend ... ish dead! Tradan ... one more beer... come on ...

R5pN97k.jpg
Yes, it's a sad tale. Poor Forgrimm, just look at him. Since his master was murdered, all he does is drink. He blames himself... He even shaved off his long beard as a sign of his shame!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
... not... worthy... of my beard. I... *sob*

SUj2akk.jpg
I have to speak with him. Do you know how I can cheer him up a bit?

R5pN97k.jpg
Well you could try buying him a mug of Ferdok Pale Ale. Then again, that might just wipe him out completely! Hmm... I do have something for you. My secret recipe... I call it my Special Dark Ale... It's a home-made herbal brew. It would wake a bear from its winter sleep! Why not try that?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, make me one of those!

R5pN97k.jpg
I keep a small stock under the counter for just such an occasion. Here, have a mug on the house.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your help.

pteeO0O.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Here. A mug of refreshing...

1UaAGiO.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
But ... it... ah *sigh* Yes, Mr. Forgrimm, drink up.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Yeughh! ... Wassat?! Bleurgh!! Herbs! Who dares give me Forgrimm, shon of *hic* Ferolaksh, a speshal dark?! ... You! ... jush *hic* you wait... where'sh my axsh?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgrimm, please calm yourself... My name is Martin Schulz, Ardo must have spoken to you of me. He asked me to come to Ferdok.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Martin Schulz ... *hic*... s'right... Ardo did shpeak of you! A friend of Ardo'sh ish a *hic* friend of mine... but Ardo ish dead, don't you know? It'sh all my fault *hic*.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
I *hic* should have been there. I'm a failure ash a bodyguard. Leave me *hic* alone, I'm *hic* ... a useless no-beard with *hic* the hiccups.

SUj2akk.jpg
I know Ardo was murdered. That's why I'm looking for his friends! Why weren't you with him?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
He didn't want me there. But it'sh shtill my faul'! I shud've known! Shud've *hic* inshisted. I knew something wash wrong. *Burrp* Urgh, by the beard of Arombolosh... that disgusting... herb mix is coming *hic* back up... Who would drink that stuff?!

SUj2akk.jpg
A meeting you say? What was it about?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Ardo wanted to meet *hic* Head Guardsman Tashman at the harbor. It was about something Ardo was working on. It was a very serioush *hic* inveshtigation!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Tha's all I know. That old grumblebeard kept it to himself. He didn't make it to the meeting alive. I should've been there! Curse *hic* it! I let him down!

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgrimm! Listen to me. I need your help to catch Ardo's murderer! Are you sober enough to answer more questions?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Yes... *hic* ... I think these hiccups will be gone soon. That... *hic* ... disgusting stuff always does that to me.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you know about the murders?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Ardo isn't the only one murdered in such a grisly fashion. Another man, I knew him well, was mutilated like that too. He was called the 'Dragon' because he had the strength of seven men. If you ask me, his murderer must have been a giant. Someone even stronger than him!

SUj2akk.jpg
Sandor Kunger, yes! Barla told me the 'Dragon' was found near 'The Fleet-Footed Ferret'.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Yes, that must have been awful for Aline. She's the barmaid in 'The Fleet-Footed Ferret' and the 'Dragon's' girlfriend. She's the one who made the gruesome discovery and called the city guards. We should definitely talk to her.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me more about the meeting Ardo was going to attend before his death?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Like I said before, Ardo wanted to meet Head Guardsman Tashman at the guard house at the harbor - but he never showed up. Tashman found his body near the docks. That's all I know, I'm afraid. It's a terrible thing. I need another ale.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about you and Ardo.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Oh, Ardo and I went through a lot together. A lot. When I first met him, he was living in his family's ancestral home at Oxblood Castle - or rather, in the gatehouse. The Castle itself was haunted, you understand. Ardo sent for brave warriors to help him drive out the ghosts, and I was the only one who dared to venture further than the Castle's entrance hall. We bonded during the ghost hunt.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Well... our friendship blossomed when we managed to rescue some fine wine from the clutches of the ghostly cellarmaster. From then on, we had many adventures together and fought a number of battles side by side. We lost sight of each other during the Battle of Gareth. I thought he had fallen. But he reappeared later, and took me on as his bodyguard.

SUj2akk.jpg
Come, Forgrimm! Let's go and find Ardo's murderer!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Yes! Revenge for Ardo ... but look at me: a hung-over Dwarf barely worth his shameful beard. I can barely walk three paces in a straight line. What kind of help will I be?

SUj2akk.jpg
You are the son of Ferolax! A few little beers cannot break you! Let's find the murderer together!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
You are right! We'll find the murderer and make him pay for his foul deeds!

SUj2akk.jpg
Well said! That's what I like to hear!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Maybe we should take a few ales with us? In case we get thirsty on the road?

SUj2akk.jpg
How about a couple of 'special dark' ales!

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Bahh! Let’s just go.

Forgrimm is now a party member; he’s stronker than in River of Time, but also much dumber.

w8IZTwX.jpg

HlVv12e.jpg

Back outside Martin enters the Temple of Praios.

Sj550SL.jpg

wr7FVhb.jpg

There’s a small task here involving Praios lore about griffins and dragons.

klCTPMa.jpg

uRafvuH.jpg

unh03kI.jpg

Answering all questions correctly grants 8 experience points. Better than nothing.

h44uwom.jpg

Now that we have a full party we can also do that sewer quest.

xZ1SdpG.jpg

It comes down to just more rat whacking.

bs3llCp.jpg

k5wzQH9.jpg

Past a bridge to the Temple of Hesinde Martin notices the arrogant nobles again. They are not approachable.

lHAnVMY.jpg

tHgZABz.jpg

Gladys pickpockets the annoying faggets.

RCMUEn7.jpg

FvJ5uMr.jpg

The one called Kastan Gamblack carries a curious pamphlet of sorts.

zlcNa7K.jpg

There’s a magician near the temple that sells spells. We buy Healing spell, Armour spell for Gladys and some offensive spells like Thunderbolt and Ignifaxus.

For Martin we buy all Attributio spells and Ignifaxus.

MqGdewj.jpg

RUppVVD.jpg

On the way back Martin takes note of an animal trainer with his bear Fluffy.

ScC3lC8.jpg

Before heading to Wagoner’s Home to start the murder investigation in earnest, we have Rhulana learn a physical skill.

5Q0gGEX.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 9: Kitty

At the Wagoner’s home murder site is a kitty, a pool of blood and a nosey hag.

hxE2VEf.jpg

3CenWO5.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me?

11xdtdf.jpg
That's where poor Old Eelko lost his life!

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, my name is Martin Schulz, I'm investigating the murders here in Ferdok. What is your name, Madam?

11xdtdf.jpg
Lovinger is my name. I live here in this house. I saw you from the window up there.

SUj2akk.jpg
Could I ask you a few questions about the death of Old Eelko?

11xdtdf.jpg
Of course.

SUj2akk.jpg
Did you see what happened to the old man?

11xdtdf.jpg
No. I didn't see it... but I heard it! It was a few days ago. It had already been dark for a while when I heard muttering and then some kind of tussle outside my window. First I didn't think much of it. That kind of thing is quite normal round here. When the sun goes down over Wagoner's Home, the worst riff-raff in Ferdok all crawl out of their holes.

SUj2akk.jpg
Is that all?

11xdtdf.jpg
You're in a hurry, aren't you? Let me finish! So, I heard a tussle, but I didn't pay much heed to it. I just thought it was the usual drunks and knaves who make our streets so dangerous. But then... I'll never forget the moment... I heard a scream. It was so loud and full of agony that I still shudder to think of it. At first I didn't dare go to the window. I waited for what seemed an eternity, though it was probably just a few moments. But in the end my curiosity got the better of me. I had to see what happened...

SUj2akk.jpg
And then you saw Eelko?

11xdtdf.jpg
Yes, I did. Not a day goes past, where I don't wish I hadn't gone to the window. That awful sight still haunts my dreams. Old Eelko lay there in front of my window. He was covered in blood, with a gaping hole in his chest. Praios protect me! What kind of animals would do that to a poor old man?! I'm sorry, I'm so upset... poor Eelko. I hope you find his tormentors...

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me anything else about Old Eelko? What kind of person was he?

11xdtdf.jpg
Everybody in Wagoner's Home knew him. You know people round here aren't exactly rolling in money. Eelko was a nice old man. He lived from the generosity of others, like many in Wagoner's Home. But he wasn't the type to waste his time on selfish self-pity. You should have seen how well he cared for Mimi!

SUj2akk.jpg
Who is this Mimi?

11xdtdf.jpg
Oh, you've already met her. She's the little cat you scared away. She belonged to Old Eelko. He always took such loving care of her. It was so touching. Eelko would scrape and save every farthing he could to buy her a bit of fresh fish from the fishwife further up the way. I'll never understand how anybody could take the life of such a lovely person in such a terrible way.

aYSs6Rf.jpg

V8vIt6j.jpg

pcZk4Ry.jpg

Martin gets a fish from the local fishwife to lure back kitty.

bRxO3tv.jpg

D1mt1Jm.jpg

AVSq3Vt.jpg

Happy kitty leads Martin to a clue of sorts.

3pEUZpz.jpg

6SyRXZZ.jpg

BrsCU8i.jpg

Gwh8zdA.jpg

anzKDLc.jpg

e8Iw0Oc.jpg

The significance of this brooch is as of yet unknown.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 10: Thieves Guild

The entrance to Thieves guild is a seemingly random cellar door in Wagoner’s home.

bmuLHpU.jpg

fhhpNXq.jpg

RGcmzyv.jpg

2N52ToE.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
To give you the answer. It is "ONAC"!

RNodNDl.jpg

sXyiCxY.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What? You know these people and knew of this place?

bEZxUUi.jpg
Heehee, of course! Cano, head of the Guild of Thieves, is my father!

SUj2akk.jpg
Your father?! But why didn't you tell me before?!

bEZxUUi.jpg
Do I have to tell you everything? Heehee, can't a girl have her secrets?

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Pah! I told you she was nothing more than a common thief! But nobody listens to me!

At this point Gladys will tell Martin more about herself when asked.

w7xpA68.jpg

bEZxUUi.jpg
About me? Now you're asking a lot! But because it's you, I won't be like that just this once. In my youth, I saw a lot of the world and I feel at home in a lot of places in Middenrealm. I've visited almost every city between Havena and Perricum at least once. My knowledge later enabled me to earn a living as a messenger and scout.

bEZxUUi.jpg
So eventually I arrived back here in Ferdok. This is the loveliest city of all. Even with the strange events of the past few years, there's nowhere in Middenrealm I'd rather be. Who would have thought that old Ardo would turn up here, of all places? Perhaps Phex arranged for me to come here in order that I might see him again.

At the bottom of the cellar is Cano whom we already should know well.

SQZN106.jpg

wKRC3ks.jpg

bEZxUUi.jpg
I’m not little!

3ptPk47.jpg
Calm down my sweet! Who's this with you? A new face here in our modest halls! Welcome to the Guild of Thieves!

SUj2akk.jpg
Phex be with you, honorable Cano. I am Martin Schulz. I must admit, the path to your 'halls' was harder than I expected.

3ptPk47.jpg
Well, I'm sure you can appreciate that we don't just throw open our doors to anybody and everybody. A town guard might walk in, or maybe even worse! Hehe ...

3ptPk47.jpg
But where are my manners?! How can I help you fresh-faced members of our society? Are you interested in fun and games, do you want a little training or do you need certain 'special' tools?

Cano is a trainer but also has some special tasks.

Cano also sells the very useful finger ring, a must for Gladys.

TfosAAJ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Didn't you say something about 'fun and games'? That sounds like something for me!

3ptPk47.jpg
Hehe, you speak with the voice of Phex! We have set up a small, but challenging course to test our skills and keep our fingers nimble. As you know, practice makes perfect.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hm. That's certainly true. Do I need to pay attention to anything in particular?

3ptPk47.jpg
Oh, it's really quite simple. Use all your Phex-given skills to acquire the nine emblems of the Guild of Thieves hidden around the course. Some of them are securely locked away in chests or behind heavy iron doors. Others are hidden deep in the pockets of some of our people. Bring me all emblems and you will receive a fancy little reward!

3ptPk47.jpg
What do you say? Do you want to try it?

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't want to try it, Cano! I want to win it, by Phex!

3ptPk47.jpg
Your keen demeanor alone tells me that Phex smiles upon you! Here, I am placing the key to the course in this chest. Cracking it will be your first task. Do not forget to hand the emblems over to me! Enjoy yourself. Phex be with you!

Needless to say, Gladys will take care of everything.

NZYB8js.jpg

lilqWr0.jpg

There’s just a lot of trapped/locked chests to take care of, but some locks are very hard to pick.

SJ8Hyax.jpg

hyohg5D.jpg

VBcBYDB.jpg

xVYfB5s.jpg

One emblem, though, needs to be pickpocketed.

3ol3l1L.jpg

CkEQz8A.jpg

YWHc5nc.jpg

After acquiring the final emblems it’s time to return to Cano.

P8QpcH2.jpg

ZkQ26ZN.jpg

Pia3h62.jpg

SGH0zzq.jpg

3ptPk47.jpg
That's all the emblems! Congratulations, you're a true master of your craft!

3ptPk47.jpg
I'll consider you in our plans, anyway. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a job for you soon!

SUj2akk.jpg
That sounds interesting.

3ptPk47.jpg
So, feel free to drop by from time to time!

Martin will be back here later.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 11: Harbor

Martin’s off to investigate the murder in the harbor.

7TVIHGk.jpg

The murder site is behind the local tavern.

JWYhnFW.jpg

However inside nobody is very forthcoming.

DeXARRj.jpg

snxWJSP.jpg

ZPR0ets.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Nothing right now, thank you. My name is Martin Schulz. I'm investigating the murder of the 'Dragon'. He was found near this tavern. Can you tell me what happened?

ndEIPkh.jpg
Pah, you just stroll into my bar and happen to be investigating our Sandor's murder! Sorry, but I don't have anything important to tell you.

SUj2akk.jpg
Please! Anything could be important. I just want to ask a couple of questions. I won't bother you for long. Was Sandor Kunger often a customer here?

ndEIPkh.jpg
Yes, he was here quite a lot. A lot of old imman players drink here. Satisfied?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Was there ever any trouble between the 'Dragon' and the other customers?

ndEIPkh.jpg
Maybe, maybe not. I have enough to do just serving my customers. I don't have time to spy on them too.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
By my grandfather's drunken beard! Pebblebush! You must have noticed something! You know the 'Dragon' didn't have any enemies. What's more, he had the strength of three men! His killer must have been a giant! And they must have made an almighty racket outside! Think, man!

ndEIPkh.jpg
I'm sorry, but I can't help you. Maybe one of the customers can tell you something. Do you want a drink?

Forgrimm claimed to know the barmaid but she isn’t willing to help either.

gyk2ao2.jpg

Cil6Mgp.jpg
Aline, I am Forgrimm, son of...

30OSpJ8.jpg
I couldn't care less who you are! Can't you see I'm busy?

Curiously, Martin notices one of the customers has a “Bosnickel” around.

MRgRqMn.jpg

WBXputK.jpg

When Martin is just about to leave the tavern, Aline comes running anyway.

zrx4OEE.jpg

hsFTqag.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes?

30OSpJ8.jpg
I heard you asking about Sandor. Are you investigating his murder?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. I'm investigating all these gruesome murders. Were you a friend of Sandor Kunger's?

30OSpJ8.jpg
Yes. My name is Aline. I'm his... I was... his girlfriend.

SUj2akk.jpg
Why did you run after me instead of just talking to me right away?

30OSpJ8.jpg
Head Guardsman Tashman told me not to talk about the murder. He questioned me and told me he would be taking care of everything in person. But he hasn't turned up again since then.

30OSpJ8.jpg
When I heard that you were asking about my 'Dragon', I had to speak with you. If Tashman can't deal with things, then I might as well help you!

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgrimm told me that you found Sandor?

30OSpJ8.jpg
Yes. It was a terrible sight. I was tipping out the tavern's dirty water and there he was, my beloved 'Dragon'. I'll never forget the awful image. My good, strong 'Dragon', butchered so horribly.

30OSpJ8.jpg
I... there must have been more than one of them and they must have surprised him. All the barrels had been smashed! My 'Dragon' fought for his life. Oh Sandor! Why did he have to die?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Did Sandor have enemies? Did he tell you about any problems?

30OSpJ8.jpg
No! He was really popular! Even though he hung out with the shady characters that frequent the 'Fleet Footed Ferret', everybody respected him.

SUj2akk.jpg
Your boyfriend had a really unusual nickname. Is it true that he got it because of his unusual strength?

30OSpJ8.jpg
Sandor never really talked about that. Some people said that he bore the name 'Dragon' because he swept across the imman field like a dangerous beast. But I think it had something to do with the talisman he wore around his neck.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your help.

SRUKE6b.jpg

5Ahzg1h.jpg

uVxcoJ5.jpg

On the way to the murder site Martin takes note of a Tulamide owning a couple of bigots.

JXVewf4.jpg

YopfxkP.jpg

3AReEsN.jpg

6M1sQOS.jpg

In any case, at the murder site behind the tavern Martin comes across another talisman.

vh7hLwD.jpg

CrfkVtI.jpg

uwu36RY.jpg

lrOVSX8.jpg

A8hsy5g.jpg

2G5dDsm.jpg

H21QtsV.jpg

Aline can’t tell Martin more about this mysterious talisman.

9TmDYUw.jpg

30OSpJ8.jpg
Yes, that's it! Did you find it at the scene? That talisman meant a lot to Sandor. He didn't usually wear it openly, but he always had it on beneath his clothes. He often joked that it gave him the strength to play well on the imman field.

30OSpJ8.jpg
When I found his body, he wasn't wearing it any more. I told Head Guardsman Tashman about it, but he didn't seem very interested. You can keep it. Maybe it will lead you to his murderer.

The last thing to do in the area is visit Ardo’s murder site…

TgPWROD.jpg

The group takes note of a seemingly random blockade along the way.

3w7EnPA.jpg

mSD5lrW.jpg

FsoEwVm.jpg

For some reason, Ardo’s murder site is guarded.

7qPer62.jpg

NtSyIvs.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Temper your tone, guardsman! My name is Martin Schulz. I am here with the permission of Madam Captain Borkensmith and am helping the town guard investigate the murders.

OUHmckd.jpg
I'm sorry, I didn't know that. In that case you may pass.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me more about the details of the case?

OUHmckd.jpg
I'm afraid not. I have merely been ordered by Head Guardsman Tashman to guard the site and keep curious onlookers away. It was the Head Guardsman alone who found the victim here. If anyone can give you details, it's him.

SUj2akk.jpg
Could you tell me where I can find the head guardsman?

OUHmckd.jpg
There's been a collision between two supply carts at the brewery. The head guardsman headed that way. He looked pretty angry. You know, he got the bad news during his lunch break. That always puts him in a really bad mood.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'll see if he has time to answer a couple of questions. Many thanks.

In any case, this is the place where a noble man met an ignoble end.

QvPVjzr.jpg

ARoHOwG.jpg

9Zex2vi.jpg

Needless to say, there shall be hell to pay.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 12: Tashman

Last thing to do for Martin before reporting back is talking to Tashman.

vhHQIns.jpg

OZ8d0Se.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Sorry to bother you. My name is Martin Schulz. I just came from the Boarstock residence. I wanted to ask you about the death of my friend, Ardo of Boarstock. Guardsman Hassler told me you might be able to help me.

gPX3cgh.jpg
I see... In that case, please excuse my tone, 'deputy'. I didn't know that our good Madam Captain was already that desperate. I suppose you're after the bounty, right? Why are you bothering me?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Not at all, Head Guardsman. Ardo of Boarstock was a good friend of mine. I just want to make sure his murderers do not escape their just punishment.

gPX3cgh.jpg
Don't we all, I'm sure... Yes, Ardo of Boarstock. They certainly got him. My condolences... I'm sure you'll want to be getting along now. So... farewell.

SUj2akk.jpg
Just a minute, if you don't mind. Guardsman Brintel told me you might know more about the case. After all, it was you who found Ardo of Boarstock's body.

gPX3cgh.jpg
Yes, I do mind! And yes, I did find his body. Apart from the body, there was nothing else to be seen. Just like all the other murders: no heart, no tracks, no witnesses.

gPX3cgh.jpg
Or at least, we haven't found anyone prepared to say they saw anything. The docks are usually deserted at that time of night. Was that everything?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Weren't you going to meet with Ardo at the docks that night? Surely you must have seen or heard something? What was the meeting supposed to be about?

A lightbulb starts to shine above Forgrimm’s thick skull.

eyH5Qos.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgrimm, calm yourself! Be assured that we shall not rest until Ardo's death is avenged.

Cil6Mgp.jpg
That madman will feel my axe! And then I'll... I'll bite off his cowardly nose! Ahhhrr ... I need a beer ... the sorrow ... the shame ... oh, Ardo!

SUj2akk.jpg
We shall see, Forgrimm. Let's find the murderer first. Then we can decide what to do with him. But Head Guardsman, to get back to my question: Why were you going to meet Ardo of Boarstock that night?

gPX3cgh.jpg
It was supposed to be a simple exchange of information regarding his inquiries. He wanted me to help him. It was his idea to meet at the docks at night. A public order matter delayed me and when I got to our agreed meeting point, he was already dead.

SUj2akk.jpg
I see. What kind of inquiries are we talking about?

gPX3cgh.jpg
How should I know?! He had only made a few vague references to 'organized' crime in Ferdok. He also said something about corruption. He wanted to let me in on the details in person.

gPX3cgh.jpg
But I never got the chance to speak with him. As I said, he was dead when I got there. There's not much more to say on the matter. And now, dismissed... 'Deputy'.

There’s a dead end; Martin reports back to Barla.

par2R0N.jpg

rpZnoWE.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Hmm... You're right. It's all just clues so far. I'll have to keep looking. Thank you, anyway!

Luckily progress presents itself on a silver platter.

ebrcKD5.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, but I’m still in the dark.

7eJswcW.jpg
I know someone who wants to meet with you. They have information regarding the murders. But they would be taking a great risk by speaking to you. That is why they specified a secret code you must recite in order for them to be sure of your identity.

SUj2akk.jpg
Where can I meet this person and what is the password?

7eJswcW.jpg
Go to the Temple of Hesinde and look for someone in a cape. Say the words: "At night the peaks are decked with mist." They will answer with "The Ogre Cross". Now go!

FUDnV9X.jpg

B5y8wDM.jpg

sarwpZ9.jpg

In the meantime, Martin also pays for some training.

fObAQE9.jpg

4qW2k5s.jpg

There’s indeed someone waiting behind the Temple; it turns out to be the archivist.

72sgrfB.jpg

aTEnbE0.jpg

p8Wsu3s.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
At night the peaks are decked with mist.

h4dRchE.jpg
The Ogre Cross.

SUj2akk.jpg
So you're our secret informant! We have no time for pleasantries. Who are you and why do you want to help me?

h4dRchE.jpg
I am Archivist Loisane. Firstly, it is very important that no one knows of our meeting. I fear that the murderers have an accomplice in the Town Guard. He is obviously making sure that the murder investigations go nowhere. I have a dismal premonition that I too must fear for my life.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean? Count Growin has announced an official reward for the capture of the murderers. How can it be dangerous for you to investigate them?

h4dRchE.jpg
Haven't you noticed that you are the only person in all of Ferdok who is really trying to solve these crimes? The murderers are still walking around Ferdok with impunity. Whoever tries to find them could be their next victim! That's why I must be careful. I'm not a member of the Town Guard and I am not of noble blood, yet I enjoy a certain status that may even give a determined murderer pause for thought.

SUj2akk.jpg
Ardo of Boarstock's status didn't protect him. But as you wish. I promise not to tell anyone about our meeting.

h4dRchE.jpg
Thank you. I trust you. About these murders, what have you discovered so far?

SUj2akk.jpg
I managed to gather some clues to two of the murders. Look at this talisman. It belonged to the 'Dragon'. And here... This brooch belonged to Old Eelko. What do you think?

h4dRchE.jpg
By Hesinde! My suspicions were correct!

SUj2akk.jpg
What is it? Tell me!

h4dRchE.jpg
What you hold in your hand is no ordinary piece of jewelry. This talisman and this brooch were made from the scale of a real dragon!

SUj2akk.jpg
A dragon scale?! Are your certain?

h4dRchE.jpg
Yes. I have no doubt. My investigations were right. Ferdok is home to three descendants of the dragonslayers. According to the city records, they each own a treasure intended to remind their ancestors of their deeds.

h4dRchE.jpg
Both Sandor Kunger and Old Eelko were descendents of the dragonslayers and both were murdered. My investigations show that a young woman, Jessica Ignifer, is also a descendant of the dragonslayers. She lives in Wagoner's Home, near the 'Serene Sow' tavern.

SUj2akk.jpg
Only three descendants? But what about Ardo of Boarstock? He was murdered too!

h4dRchE.jpg
I don't know, but he is definitely not one of the descendents. I'm sure of it. But I believe this Jessica is in grave danger and the murderer could strike at any time! Please protect her! I will return to the Town House and take another look through the Boarstock family annals. Maybe I overlooked something before.

Jessica… sounds familiar…

ZRKLGs9.jpg

bEb7Aqp.jpg

ExPRsgm.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 13: Jessica

Jessica is not at her home but there’s some drama near the tavern.

UE0YyhD.jpg

LG3uiI1.jpg

3ng8EOo.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Alarm the town guard! I'll follow the scoundrels! They won't get away from me!

Mh5g7cX.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, close the entrance behind me. No one should be allowed to escape!

rh0T2At.jpg

It’s time for some sewer diving. Again.

M8oWN3j.jpg

Alas, all help comes too late for Jessica.

JNVDNv6.jpg

4laiPum.jpg

2TqfBqM.jpg

NiJRoS3.jpg

EgvYjvz.jpg

On Jessica’s body is a list of victims… Ardo’s name is not on it though…

KxpFs9h.jpg

fX8ka1Z.jpg

The murderers are still close, it is time to pursue them and exact righteous vengeance.

RmDz66Y.jpg

7KoZfxh.jpg

The murderers block the way behind them but there’s a side route running parallel to the way they’re taking.

fg7ge1N.jpg

EbRP1ad.jpg

3DEVggx.jpg

Dtah0zP.jpg

It turns out Kastan Gamblack and his buttboy Finn are the main culprits.

ftUALyG.jpg

One assassin attacks the group; he uses throwing weapons and with Rain of Arrows can do some damage.

UCrVwhT.jpg

vI6dyqx.jpg

Pursuing the rest of the assassins, they will again block the road ahead.

N4AZCNz.jpg

Y9x1jFp.jpg

OZ6KyQf.jpg

This time Martin is forced to trudge through a sideroute infested with rats.

VoMtAkY.jpg

1miB9LL.jpg

mmWYwqm.jpg

There are a couple of ‘hidden’ areas in the sewers that trigger Forgrimm’s Dwarfnose, but nothing important is to be found.

Tg6ZXXd.jpg

Eventually the group reaches the end of the road… which leads into a library.

6EZTdU0.jpg

MKFJftW.jpg

K3CLJxw.jpg

aOcjxNj.jpg

Sneaking inside, the villains are caught (nearly literally) red-handed.

F8iKkWt.jpg

kVeEt6Q.jpg

n2Q5FcV.jpg

46LES8Z.jpg

PaNXab0.jpg

mPqME3G.jpg

8dmmGGM.jpg

uKQB0GQ.jpg

av7JCJK.jpg

aDfWc18.jpg

jG3nyAp.jpg

SiXusW5.jpg

Finn heads upstairs with Loisane, his cronies don’t last long.

8gwc6bw.jpg

l9OpJmO.jpg

APIaTiE.jpg

On his own Finn can’t do much. Loisane at least is saved.

NFPuaZi.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Bloodthirsty dog! Touch a hair on Loisane's head and you will pay with your life!

6ljJF0W.jpg
One step closer and the archivist dies. I won't warn you a third time! It's over! Face it!

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm not done with you. You will pay for your bloodlust and the murder of Ardo of Boarstock shall be avenged!

6ljJF0W.jpg
Ardo who?! Hahaha! Don't be ridiculous! If I had killed someone by that name, I would know it. You can count on that.

SUj2akk.jpg
Neither your insanity nor your lies can save you! I will put an end to your murderous ways, here and now!

6ljJF0W.jpg
You still don't get it, do you? You can't stop what has been started! It is your end that is nigh!

3oyTNVE.jpg

Unexpected after Finn is killed the Spanish Inquisition shows up.

ybVvt7H.jpg

ow6XeD4.jpg

uUnTqxa.jpg

tICLwmq.jpg

Q3Cwbvp.jpg

gYCI678.jpg
Certainly. You omitted to respond to my demand for an explanation. I'm waiting!

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, Grand Inquisitor, my name is Martin Schulz. I am working with the agreement of the Madam Captain on investigating the murders perpetrated by these men. The archivist discovered a link between the victims that led us to them.

gYCI678.jpg
So these men are guilty of the misdeeds? Who exactly are they?

h4dRchE.jpg
Yes, Great Inquisitor. They are Finn of Ferdok and Kastan Gamblack together with their henchmen. They were hunting down descendants of dragonslayers. When researching my family archives, I only just discovered that I too am of dragonslayer heritage.

h4dRchE.jpg
These red-clad murderers must have discovered that too. But Martin Schulz was able to rescue me from their murderous clutches at the last moment. Otherwise I would certainly have died in the same way as the other victims.

gYCI678.jpg
Very well. But do you know the reason for their foul acts?

SUj2akk.jpg
No. Unfortunately none of our opponents survived as we fought for our lives. Only Kastan Gamblack managed to escape. He fled before the fight began. I intend to hunt the scoundrel down right now.

gYCI678.jpg
You will do nothing! Look around you! How can light and truth be brought to bear on these crimes if you slay everyone connected to them?!

h4dRchE.jpg
But Your Holiness! Should Martin Schulz have simply let these villains have their way?!

gYCI678.jpg
Silentium! Do not test my patience unnecessarily! Even if I deeply deplore your methods, you have nevertheless freed all of Ferdok from a great evil. Now be gone! Everything else lies in the hands of Praios and his enlightened inquisition.

SUj2akk.jpg
As you wish, Grand Inquisitor. But I would ask that I be allowed to join you in your apprehension of Kastan Gamblack.

gYCI678.jpg
Who do you think you are?! You cannot simply hunt down a nobleman whose guilt has not yet been proven!

SUj2akk.jpg
But…

gYCI678.jpg
Do not contradict me! I hereby forbid any further interference in this matter. Especially from you! And now, be gone!

gYCI678.jpg
Archivist. You remain here! You shall now provide me with all the documents that support your accusations. All of them, without exception!

h4dRchE.jpg
As you wish, Grand Inquisitor.

Martin is kicked out and there is no way to re-enter. There’s no choice to leave the building – Barla is already downstairs.

02qPP4p.jpg

otOSFT6.jpg

A9M3s1M.jpg

eLQKnpS.jpg

RQOvyPz.jpg

kIKCyx9.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Madam Captain Borkensmith! You, here? What's going on?! And what gives that da Vanya the right to stick his nose in?! Especially now everything's cleared up!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Well, when the Church of Praios heard that another murder had been committed, the Grand Inquisitor offered his help. In his desperation, the Count accepted without further ado. That pompous skirt-wearer talks as if the town guard had nothing to do with clearing up the murders.

xLsNY0x.jpg
At least you prove there's still some virtue in this world. But I can do without the 'help' of this self-proclaimed chief investigator. But let's forget that for now. Tell me what happened.

SUj2akk.jpg
It looks like the noblemen Finn of Ferdok and Kastan Gamblack are responsible for the murders in Ferdok. I managed to slay Finn before he could murder Archivist Loisane, but Kastan Gamblack managed to escape.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Kastan Gamblack and Finn of Ferdok?! Unbelievable! But what was their motive for those gruesome murders?!

SUj2akk.jpg
Loisane discovered that almost all the victims has something in common. They were all descendants of dragonslayers. Why those animals tore out the hearts of their victims... only Gamblack can tell us that.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Perhaps you're right. But if he's wise, he will already have left Ferdok. I don't like anything about this whole thing. Maybe it's not the worst thing that the Praiots have taken over the case.

SUj2akk.jpg
But I don't understand why Finn of Ferdok denied murdering Ardo. Loisane said that Ardo of Boarstock wasn't a dragonslayer descendant. But he was still murdered... I just don't understand it.

xLsNY0x.jpg
Don't worry. I'm sure Gamblack will be found. Then, everything will be cleared up. At least you were able to stop the murders and save the archivist from a horrible death. I'll take you to Duke Growin now. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear the news.

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well, let us go to the Duke's residence!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 14: Duke

Martin is brought before the Duke. A just reward is in order.

gh0CiMg.jpg

ZIRvJ0n.jpg

7ZndsS0.jpg

fwCGeKi.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I wasn't alone. My brave companions, Forgrimm son of Ferolax, Gladys Shladromir and Rhulana of Kurkum deserve just as much credit, as does Archivist Loisane who bravely helped us.

o0GYYLA.jpg
It is a true honor to have a group of such heroes before me. As I am sure you know, a large sum of money was promised as the reward for solving the murders.

o0GYYLA.jpg
You have earned this. Take this medal of the city of Ferdok as a small token, not forgetting the promised reward. But that is not all. I would like to introduce you to someone: Regent Dariana.

kMHYl6X.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The pleasure is all mine, Regent.

o0GYYLA.jpg
Etiquette? Etiquette! Haha, very good! Your friend Ardo of Boarstock was working for the Regent, Gods rest his soul. It was her idea to give you Ardo's residence. You know, his home on Praios Square. I'm sure it's what he would have wanted.

SUj2akk.jpg
My thanks, Duke Growin, and also to you, Regent Dariana. But I'm afraid there is also some bad news. Not all the murderers were apprehended. Kastan Gamblack managed to escape.

o0GYYLA.jpg
Kastan Gamblack, you say? He was involved in the murders?! Good heavens! How could I have misjudged him so badly. And now things get tricky for him he takes flight like a coward. Well, at least we are rid of the treacherous scoundrel for now.

o0GYYLA.jpg
I think 50 ducats for his capture should make things difficult enough for him. Sooner or later his rabbit foot and bribery money will run out, hehe. And as for Finn's statement. He obviously just wanted to get out of a difficult situation.

o0GYYLA.jpg
But enough doom and gloom for now. The heart of Ferdok thrives again, my friends. These gruesome murders have been stopped once and for all. And not a moment too soon. I have just been informed that the Temple of Hesinde has been completed. Soon after the proclamation of the Dragon Quest, laughing and dancing townsfolk will fill the streets!

o0GYYLA.jpg
I hereby command the lifting of all road blocks! Now go, Martin Schulz! Ferdok welcomes you with open arms. Enjoy your reward and visit your new residence at your leisure.

The Regent will further the main quest of the game.

whFR7IP.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Ardo was my old friend and mentor. I can give you as much time as you want.

bDMny2X.jpg
Did I understand you correctly? Has Finn of Ferdok denied killing Ardo?

SUj2akk.jpg
That is true. As Duke Growin said, he probably just wanted to save his skin. But tell me, do you know why Ardo would be at the harbor at that hour?

bDMny2X.jpg
Well. I asked Ardo to sound out certain elements in Ferdok. Ferdok's dismal predicament has obviously attracted certain greedy characters of dubious honor. Increased smuggling through the harbor is particularly worrying.

bDMny2X.jpg
Ardo was supposed to find out where the trail of corruption might lead. This was all overshadowed by the disputes between the two most powerful trading companies in Ferdok. His was not an easy task.

SUj2akk.jpg
This whole thing is very puzzling... Do you think his murder could have something to do with his investigations in the harbor area? Were those cultists involved in criminal dealings at the harbor?

bDMny2X.jpg
I can't answer that. There could have been a connection. But who can say for sure? What do you think of continuing Ardo's investigations?

SUj2akk.jpg
It would be a great honor. But I don't really know where to start.

bDMny2X.jpg
I think you should take a look at the two trading companies to start with. You'll raise the least suspicions if you just ask for work down at the harbor. Try to gain their respect, then maybe you'll find out something important.

bDMny2X.jpg
The Stoerrebrandt trading post is near the brewery, while their competitors Neisbeck have theirs near the docks to the east.

SUj2akk.jpg
The Neisbeck trading company near the eastern docks and the Stoerrebrandt trading company near the brewery. I'll see what I can do.

bDMny2X.jpg
Report back when you've managed to get work with one of the trading companies.

SUj2akk.jpg
You can rely on me. Ardo's work will not be in vain. Farewell, Regent.

This might be the only time Martin meets the Duke, so Gladys pickpockets everyone in sight.

v1DUbNr.jpg

NRkoizA.jpg

Growin carries some good stuff.

SU0xpJ4.jpg

Outside the hall Martin meets Ardo’s caretaker.

pmbpP39.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, that's right. My name is Martin Schulz, what can I do for you?

kRvGTFL.jpg
I wanted to ask whether you required my services. I know the house very well. I have managed it for many years and I would be very pleased to take care of all domestic matters for you.

SUj2akk.jpg
That sounds like a wonderful idea, Mr. Muddlemosh! I'm sure it's what Ardo would have wanted.

kRvGTFL.jpg
Ohh ... wonderful! I'll go and make some preparations. I'll see you at the house. Thank you again. See you later!

I6Lvuxx.jpg

yYwDrqw.jpg

Martin now has access to a new area – the Ducal citadel. There are better merchants and trainers here, furthermore pickpocketing is far more rewarding.

2BqQ3To.jpg

htpda0S.jpg

CtnlrrN.jpg

There appears to be trouble with the well; Martin will get to that later.

qdkUSR0.jpg

The Rondra Temple Rhulana spoke of is close, but there’s nothing to do there. There’s only a notice.

eeO2ZPs.jpg

NhwQObx.jpg

oqnuXII.jpg

By the way, the medal rewarded by Growin is only useful for Gladys.

cTOBk1B.jpg

Auralia is here; not only does she have new recipes, she also has a task to perform.

Grvel1e.jpg

uig0fbd.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, I’d say so. Why do you ask?

3zsoi8u.jpg
Ah, I envy you. I used to spend much time on the road. But since I opened my stand here... ah, I digress. I actually wanted to ask you about an ingredient.

SUj2akk.jpg
An ingredient? What’s the recipe?

3zsoi8u.jpg
Well, I have an old recipe for a powerful magic potion. An alchemical masterwork! But the recipe doesn't quite make sense. One of the ingredients isn't right. I think it's the manticore sting. But I can't get away from here to research it.

3zsoi8u.jpg
If you could find somebody who knows of this ingredient or what I could use instead, I would be extremely grateful to you! I would let you share in my accomplishment and I might even join you if you appreciate the skills of an accomplished alchemist. I would so like to travel again.

SUj2akk.jpg
Now, that is an offer indeed! I'll keep my eyes open.

3zsoi8u.jpg
It's a deal. Here is the recipe. But what am I thinking. I haven't even introduced myself. I am Auralia. And who are you?

SUj2akk.jpg
Martin Schulz.

3zsoi8u.jpg
Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am truly grateful for your help!

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm sure we'll find someone who can help with the recipe.

In any case, Martin also purchases Auralia’s new recipes.

s3vbCI9.jpg

Martin also purchases some new gear for Rhulana.

SxHaXCj.jpg

XF7nPiY.jpg

Behind the Duke’s residence are a Dwarf triplet with whom it is possible to play the game of cups. However, they will cheat after winning once.

LJ75JdT.jpg

1bZKZR1.jpg

Unmasking the Dwarves with a Human (?) Nature check gives some experience.

i2aoAXk.jpg

zrmhhoE.jpg

At the barracks next to the Duke’s residence is a better melee trainer.

75xFJL1.jpg

zpKxoLg.jpg

Rhulana and Forgrimm learn some new moves.

3PS4dSd.jpg

fyGn3aE.jpg

WMcHfHd.jpg

Behind the Rondra Temple is a talking barrel.

uLELuxH.jpg

AdFp5DD.jpg

gsZ8pFT.jpg

U307XIO.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What?! But…

1ctEI0V.jpg
No but! Look at me!

SUj2akk.jpg
Well yes. It's a bit difficult with that barrel over you.

1ctEI0V.jpg
Errmm ... yes, well err ... that's true. If you've come to mock me, then I have to say...

SUj2akk.jpg
That really isn't my intention. Are you going to tell me why you're hiding here?

1ctEI0V.jpg
Oh, the shame! I just wanted to protect my chickens from that cur. He had already snatched a few. I met him at dawn. We fought in the street - I wanted to tear out his guts!

SUj2akk.jpg
And? What happened?

1ctEI0V.jpg
You have to understand, that creature is as big as me. What am I saying?! Twice as big! I fought the beast with my bare hands. And then... then it happened!

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes? What happened?

1ctEI0V.jpg
I... He tore... tore off my beard *whimper* ... my beautiful beard... *moan* how will I ever go out in public again?! The shame...

SUj2akk.jpg
That's a catastrophe! But don't despair. There's always an answer.

1ctEI0V.jpg
Ah, it sounds so simple when you say it. Could you help a poor dwarf? I have to find a new beard somehow! *whimper*

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you have any ideas?

1ctEI0V.jpg
Oh yes! I certainly do. That foul cur has very thick fur of its own. It would make a very good fake beard! Track him down and bring me back his pelt! I beg you!

SUj2akk.jpg
If it means so much to you, I'll hunt down the monster for you.

1ctEI0V.jpg
Really?! That's great! Look for him near the city gate. My house is nearby. The cursed beast is probably having a go at my chickens while I can't protect them.

Not far from the talking barrel is the smith. Time for Forgrimm to purchase some recipes and craft some chit.

KUxO1aX.jpg

DEuLGs9.jpg

In the area is also the same Crooked Otto from River of Time… still selling weird chit.

F37ErYO.jpg

k2dTy4R.jpg

VJfgkoU.jpg

Near the South gate of the city Martin takes care of the dog for the barrel Dwarf.

mgKjl2E.jpg

XYOAvbz.jpg

7zbszI9.jpg

That’s another small issue solved.

UCTU1E1.jpg

Last thing to do in this area is taking care of the well.

oMf5yiw.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What is it?

OUHmckd.jpg
The fountain, look! There's no more water. I've been charged with reporting on the situation to Ugosh, our town engineer, but I can't find him anywhere. Who knows where that Dwarf is! I really need to get this fountain working again.

SUj2akk.jpg
How can I help? You want me to find this Ugosh?

OUHmckd.jpg
No, no. There's no time! It was Count Growin's express wish that the square be pristine for the festivities...

OUHmckd.jpg
There are some maintenance tunnels running beneath Ferdok that lead to a room that regulates the water supply to the fountain! But I have no idea how to work the machinery. You should come down with me! Will you help?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, let’s take a look.

Everything comes down to pulling the right levers.

QqeJWTu.jpg

PZTIRpx.jpg

NRbnYmv.jpg

However, there’s also a little surprise.

awzmUmb.jpg

vQ0MGpO.jpg

OUHmckd.jpg
Ugosh! What are you complaining about! The fountain broke down while you were boozing down here!

sSJHJvu.jpg
What do you mean 'boozing'? I went down to clean the pump! Then some idiot messed with the levers and I got a faceful of mud!

OUHmckd.jpg
Uhh... ermm... we didn't know... errr... it was an accident...

sSJHJvu.jpg
Just get out of here before I forget myself! Go on, out!

In any case, the fountain again works.

fvgijxI.jpg

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 15: Ardo’s house

Returning to Praios square, Fluffy the dancing bear is now on the prowl.

There’s a small task returning him to his master.

3axBECZ.jpg

Y1PluFw.jpg

Martin has some skill in Animal lore but it seems magic is needed. Magic that’s not yet available at this point.

90MLFiU.jpg

Martin goes to check on his new residence.

CGF8SJr.jpg

oKKa3a1.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Don't worry. If Ardo was happy with your services, I'm sure I will be too.

kRvGTFL.jpg
As you say. Heh ... you are friendly, very friendly. Even though Ardo of Boarstock often tended to be a bit errm... 'gruff' with his caretaker, he never hid his satisfaction, either.

kRvGTFL.jpg
I was terribly upset at the news of his death. Thanks to your unflinching bravery, the murderers got what they deserved.

SUj2akk.jpg
Muddlemosh, this place looks much smaller from the outside than it is on the inside.

kRvGTFL.jpg
Yes, you're right! The ingenious work of the Dwarven architect brothers Silwush and Ullroshir never ceases to amaze me! But I won't keep you here with small talk. Here's a letter for you. Hmm ... no indication of who wrote it. The messenger who delivered it said it was urgent.

SUj2akk.jpg
Let's see, hmm. The magician Rakorium wants me to go to the Temple of Hesinde as soon as possible. He wants me to speak to the temple guardian Dorion of Kuslik. Sounds like there's a problem with the preparations for the Dragon Quest.

Martin checks out the house before moving on.

To the right of the entrance is a store room.

l31bBZW.jpg

s6a8xxe.jpg

To the left of the entrance is a passage to the cellar.

6A62fo2.jpg

4NB8icO.jpg

WuBbRcy.jpg

The dining hall and kitchen are the central part of the first floor.

uM7ZvyP.jpg

smVsFP1.jpg

d5cSPrd.jpg

There’s a small sideroom that will be used for alchemy.

a3vQNqA.jpg

There’s a rather yuge garden; what’s useful is that any plants Martin previously picked will be growing here.

yoLHcnz.jpg

QHcEKrv.jpg

Upstairs is the room where Forgrimm is going to tell Gladys the story of River of Time.

X8Z4qE6.jpg

GioxBhe.jpg

Also some familiar paintings.

1eYtLBo.jpg

There’s also a room that can’t be entered.

G4g71Y1.jpg

Ymi8eek.jpg

kRvGTFL.jpg
Oh. That was Master Boarstock's study. He often stayed in there deep into the night, studying his writings. He also did a lot of work for the Regent in there, which is why the room was always locked. I remember he always carried the key with him.

SUj2akk.jpg
What happened to the key?

kRvGTFL.jpg
It wasn’t found on Ardo. The key has gone.

It seems this key is related to solving Ardo’s murder.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 16: Stoerrebrandt

Martin had to make contact with one of the merchant houses in the harbor; Stoerrebrandt warehouse is closest so he heads over there.

8ToqBT1.jpg

RqFjPn0.jpg

uDCiT7G.jpg

8sOXfxA.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Why is the road blocked? I want to get to the warehouse behind you!

xujHmOJ.jpg
Please, first things first. My name is Laran Dykemiller. I'm the foreman for the Stoerrebrandt Trading Company. The quarrel with the House of Neisbeck has forced us to be especially careful. The master of our company has ordered us to only allow those in our employ to approach the warehouse.

SUj2akk.jpg
That sounds good. I'm always looking for a little extra work.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Haha! You must be joking! What sort of work should I entrust to you? Although... I might have a little job for you.

SUj2akk.jpg
Little job? What kind of little job?

xujHmOJ.jpg
An errand. If you do this for me, maybe we'll find a few other jobs where you can earn a farthing or two. What do you say?

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well. I'll run the errand for you.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Excellent! So, listen carefully: Our messenger boy is ill and he was supposed to fetch an order from 'The Silver Pitcher' tavern today. Go there in his place and bring me the order sheet. It would be good if you could do it as soon as possible. Innkeeper Brewmore will definitely be getting impatient.

This is p. petty but it’s necessary to get to the bottom of Ardo’s murder.

k2Wwcsl.jpg

PVGMpbl.jpg

GzhNOHI.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
All well and good. But... when do I get my payment for the errand?

xujHmOJ.jpg
Ah yes, haha! I had completely forgotten that! Here's your payment.

For more ‘jobs’ Martin needs to return later. For now it’s time to report to the Regent.

QG8dyVh.jpg

tVEYNnw.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I managed to join the Stoerrebrandt trading company. Maybe I can learn something useful if I work with them for a while.

bDMny2X.jpg
Very good. Continue your investigations, Martin Schulz! You will soon bring the truth to light!

There’s more interesting stuff going on in the Thieves Guild; Cano has a ‘real’ job to do.

UfFYLrw.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
So? What’s the job then?

3ptPk47.jpg
Well, those cursed Dark Eyes have actually managed to steal one of the most sought-after prizes in Ferdok! And they did it right under our noses! Our own diversionary tactic actually played right into their hands! I can hardly believe it. We were actually attempting the same theft at the same time.

3ptPk47.jpg
This is now a matter of honor! We want to steal it back from the Dark Eyes. Sounds like a job for you, don't you think?

SUj2akk.jpg
You bet! You can count on me! When do we start?

3ptPk47.jpg
Excellent! Thieves of our pedigree can never resist a job of this caliber. Your target is their headquarters here in Wagoner's Home. You must infiltrate their base and remain undetected for as long as possible. We don't want things to come to open conflict between the Dark Eyes gang and the Guild.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you want me to steal from their hideout?

3ptPk47.jpg
You probably won't believe it until you hold it in your hands. It is the smithy hammer of a highly venerated noble duke! His favorite tool!

SUj2akk.jpg
And this is the prize that the thieves of Ferdok compete for?!

3ptPk47.jpg
Look at it like this: Stealing a duke's hammer is almost like cutting off his beard! Whoever manages it enjoys great esteem among thieves. And the Dark Eyes definitely don't deserve that! They only succeeded thanks to our own ingenious diversion, which lured away Growin's guards!

SUj2akk.jpg
When you look at it like that, you're right of course. Very well, I must make sure I am undetected. Anything else I need to pay attention to?

3ptPk47.jpg
One more thing. The hammer definitely won't be too easy to find. You may well have to search many crates and treasure chests before you get your hands on it. You will have to take special care to ensure you are not discovered. For this reason, you may only take one companion with you. More than two people would be sure to be discovered.

3ptPk47.jpg
You will meet Yallik, one of my men in front of the Dark Eyes warehouse. I will mark it for you on your map. Stay inconspicuous, until Yallik gives you a sign. Phex be with you!

The hideout is not far from Jessica’s house.

58tFjsZ.jpg

6rzuHfi.jpg

Obv. Gladys is the one who should head inside with Martin.

p70M2Jx.jpg

2CSVY6D.jpg

The stealthy part is not hard since most of the idiots inside are sleeping.

NOMblsi.jpg

NgGP7zO.jpg

The chests contain some useful stuff but the hammer is obv. not in any of the normal chests.

ho8yKUh.jpg

One of the thieves lowers a ladder on his own way out, very convenient.

FEMHhtK.jpg

Rk8qmG7.jpg

17dGpFS.jpg

Up the ladder just a small distraction is needed to lure the thug away from the counter.

RkHwlJ0.jpg

GNY0FyB.jpg

Destroying the bridge will do.

zYqb6dJ.jpg

ZfRRZab.jpg

ylQiIBp.jpg

With the thug gone it’s easy to retrieve the hammer and get out.

jjlysdQ.jpg

jYHBPgJ.jpg

jKyj78N.jpg

JNHr208.jpg

Xg3Kbhy.jpg

6xNVNAj.jpg

The reward for all this: the Shadow Gloves, a very good item. +3 to DEX is great for all thievery.

eNehs4H.jpg

CULwmzp.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
Never played any of these, are they worth buying now?

Baring in mind I love Dragon Age:Origins too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom