Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Europa Barbarorum (Arche Seleukeia)

I got this game with the steam sale and managed to add on the mod. I tried a game with Hayasdan which seemed at first to go well, I kept up the alliance and trade with the Seleukids as I attempted to expand into the Caucasus. Then, as the Seleukids were fragmenting on most of their fronts, they determined that landing a doomstack in the capital of their only remaining ally was more of a priority than not losing persia. The other times I've tried have gone about as poorly.

While I'm sure that the Seleukid Empire gets loads more cash than a podunk mountain kingdom satrapy, now I find it much more impressive that as everyone in the world attacked you you've managed to conquer so much and balance your accounts with a minimum of sudden elephant rape. :bro:

I thought that Arche Seleukeia campaign will be much harder because they disappear so quickly when you play as someone else. Fact that we can recruit our faction units pretty much everywhere saved me because phalanx army in hand of a player will never be beaten by AI unless outnumbered more than 3 to 1 or outclassed (which is not very likely since AI likes to create trash armies).

Update 30 - Conquest of Arabia (Even though we were doing everything but conquering arabia in last three updates)

UO0001.jpg

Pella is under siege again and we have to sally forth.

UO0002.jpg

Ok, AI just left the field as soon as we went throught the gates. I don't know why AI does that but only thing they achieve by doing it is wasting player time. I know that CA can't code AI to save their lifes but there is option to fall back before the battle starts, it would be nice if AI would use it.

UO0003.jpg

I decided to "build" grant of land in Byzantion which is crazy expensive (5000) and gives meager +5 happiness but we need all the happiness we can get here.

UO0004.jpg

We hired some merc to defend Pella until we build some MIC here. Trying to expand into europe was very stupid idea but what's done is done and we can't turn back now.

UO0005.jpg

It's not this elephants stack so we should be able to defend this city.

UO0006.jpg

UO0008.jpg

Well, we did it but barely. Baktrian "late general bodyguards" are absolutely brutal but I don't mind it since Baktria have really shitty position so they need all the help they can get.

UO0007.jpg

Those guys. Fucking Daedras with 39 defence.

UO0009.jpg

Oh crap, that's bad. Sarpedon was really awesome general and his death left our Baktrian Removal Army without any leadership.

UO0010.jpg

Good news! Byzantion calmed down and we may be able to hold it.

UO0012.jpg

Fucking Koinon Hellenon is back. And they have some spartans, fortunately EB team are not fanboys of SPARTUNS and spartan hoplitai are like other hoplitais, they die when you stab them (there was much butthurt on forums when it turned out that spartans are not superhumans in this mod).

UO0013.jpg

They are your standard elite unit, nothing to write home about.

UO0014.jpg

I was fucking doing some crazy shit with brining fleet (it got sunk) from Antiocheia here to reach Lesbos. But you can just go there on foot...

UO0015.jpg

Goddamit, if I only knew sooner...

UO0017.jpg

Unfortunately one of their general managed to escape and we will have to siege Mytilene to counqer Lesbos and destroy Makedonians.

UO0001.jpg

UO0002.jpg

Elephants are gone so I moved our Kataphraktoi to center so they can react to TERRORISTS AGGRESION quicker.

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg

Chaaarge WOLOLOLOLO!

UO0005.jpg

On second tought let's not charge that...

UO0006.jpg

They all walked very slowly into our wall of pikes.

UO0007.jpg

UO0008.jpg

Our cavalry got intercepted by one unit of arabian medium cavalry, I don't know what those guys were thinking attacking general with 2 units of cataphracts.

UO0009.jpg

And this was actually turban commander, and he died, oh he died verily.

UO0010.jpg

And now every sand niggers is running away and we just have to chase them down.

UO0011.jpg

Arabs lined in very orderly fashion, all nice and killed.

UO0012.jpg

UO0013.jpg

UO0014.jpg

We have build some siege towers and finally we can take Lesbos and be done with Makedonians.

UO0015.jpg

I autoresolved it before even on very hard autoresolve can't fuck up battle with 20 to 1 advantage.

UO0016.jpg

ENSLAVE.

UO0017.jpg

Nothing personal, we just need your shit to win campaign.

UO0018.jpg

Eiepros still holds southern Italy and most of sicily and romans just don't fucking care... very strange.

UO0001.jpg

Time to stab some SPARTUNS!

UO0002.jpg

Greeks didn't have general in this army so we were able to break them easily and this was quite fast (even SAPRTUNS! broke).

UO0003.jpg

Attacking almost full-stack army on a bridge is a fucking suicide, even if said army don't have general.

UO0004.jpg

That's our captain... jesus christ he looks strange.

UO0005.jpg

Baktrians have to go through this narrow bridge, this is impossible.

UO0006.jpg

It's double impossible because we have phalanx.

UO0007.jpg

UO0009.jpg

Baktrians are coming in two waves so I decided to send my Hypaspistai to kill some archers before second wave arrives.

UO0010.jpg

They are quite far away so we have some time.

UO0011.jpg

Storming fortresses, walls and generally doing stupid shit that no one else would do is what Hypaspistai are designed for.

UO0012.jpg

UO0013.jpg

Ok, rape train is coming and we have to GTFO.

UO0015.jpg

Well, rape train is just standing near the bridge and does nothing.

UO0018.jpg

Time ran out (I turned time limit back on) and we won this battle.

UO0021.jpg

ALMOST THERE!

UO0022.jpg

Army that tried to attack us on bridge retreated to Baktra and we are going to siege them there. If they didn't want to die like real men, they are going to fucking starve to death.

Update 31 - Conquest of Arabia (Island hopping and sea of sand)

UO0001.jpg

I think you saw enough battles with Sabyn for some time.

UO0002.jpg

Only difference was that I decided to hire Arabian Slingers and those guys proved to be pretty devastating. They killed 231 enemies and they have only 120 men in unit.

UO0003.jpg

Our loyal Satrap Timarchos have to defend his realm again.

UO0004.jpg

Fact that his bodyguards are horse archers is pretty nice, I actually think about hiring some horse archers here to deal with small enemy stacks.

UO0005.jpg

I don't even remember how many times we defended this city and our faction leader is running out of troops (and we don't even have a chance to recruit any mercenaries because we are at siege every turn).

UO0006.jpg

Timer run out and Greeks lost.

UO0007.jpg

Baktrians tries to lift the siege of Baktra, this stack don't have any general but it's Sarpedon's army and they are very experienced.

UO0010.jpg

Baktra garrison is main threat here and they are behind us, we have to run to this hill and turn around.

UO0011.jpg

They send some cav to annoy us but we are almost in our positions so we should be able to deal with them.

UO0013.jpg

UO0014.jpg

UO0018.jpg

They have more archers/skirmishers and try to us it to their advantage. We have to do this "charging phalanx" thingy.

UO0019.jpg

UO0020.jpg

Now we have to collapse our flank on them while our center keeps them in one place.

UO0021.jpg

UO0022.jpg

Rat trap, like in the old days of Ptolemaic wars.

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

Hypaspistai have spears as secondary weapon so I used ALT+RCLICK to make them to use them against Baktrian cav, even though I don't know if those spears help them fight cavalry (not every spearmen have bonuses against cav, those spears might be just for shits and giggles).

UO0025.jpg

And then we send our Prodromoi to harass Baktrian skirmishers.

UO0029.jpg

We killed both family members they had here and most of their army, I think Baktra should be ours.

UO0030.jpg

UO0031.jpg

Yes, it is. We are going to enslave the shit out of them for spawning this elephants stack.

UO0032.jpg

And Trapezous surrendered to our cheapo army so now we officialy hold whole asia minor and most of caucasus.

UO0001.jpg

Large Sauromatae presence in this region is scary but I don't think we can afford to just leave our army here to scare off nomads. We will leave garrison of 3 native phalangitai units and our cheapo army will go to hellas proper nad maybe save our faction leader ass.

UO0002.jpg

Saka Rauka is at war with Baktria but they stopped fighting since we destroyed Pahlava and are concentrating their efforts on me (HUMAN PLAYER DETECTED! EXTERMINATE!).

UO0003.jpg

We have one free army in anatolia, we could send it to greece and try to save our faction leader (and probably get another army stuck in endless siege in greece). But I decided to do something sensible this time and landed in Rhodos so Koinon Hellenon have two fronts now.

UO0004.jpg

Kalinikos and what is left of his army are all kinds of fucked, no point in trying to save him.

UO0005.jpg

After we are done with Rhodos we will conquer Krete because islands are awesome in this game, basically super-safe money makers.

UO0006.jpg

We are getting dangerously close to Sabyn cities and they are getting desperate.

UO0008.jpg

They are coming from two sides but we have enough phalangitai to cover our flank.

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

I hired another unit of Arabian Slingers because they are fucking awesome. Slingers are a bit OP in EB but AI don't spam them so EB team never "nerfed" them. EB is quite old mod (and EB team formed before RTW was even released, at first they wanted to "help" CA with proper representation of barbarian factions but CA told them to go fuck themselves) and went through a lot of changes but they are still some "quirks" here and there, slingers are one of them. But even slingers are just slightly OP it's nothing like Savaran from Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei that made Sassanids unbeatable and never were fixed.

UO0012.jpg

UO0013.jpg

Like pretty much always, I told my skirmishers to fall back too late, you can set them in "skirmish mode" but AI does even worse job at it than I do.

UO0014.jpg

First Sabyn army have no cavalry to speak of so our Cats are free to bring death and destruction behind enemy lines.

UO0016.jpg

First army is almost dead because enemy archers/skirmishers target our archers/skirmishers instead of phalanx and Sabyn infantry have absolutely no chance against phalangitai because they have layer of butter for armor.

UO0023.jpg

Now we have to turn around and deal with secound army (which have mostly cavalry and "heavy" infantry).

UO0024.jpg

UO0025.jpg

UO0026.jpg

Well, I'm laughing at Sabyn armor but our infantry is using Linothorax and thats fucking LINEN armor, how it could protect anyone from anything other than fart is beyond me. But people are sayind that Linothorax actually worked, so the fuck I know.

UO0027.jpg

Thorakitai Argyraspides have chainmails tough. Chainmails are "Eric Clapton" armour, they offer best results with minimal BLING!.

UO0029.jpg

Muscled Armours of Hypaspistai are "Slash" armour, chicks love it but real men know it's all about BLING, not results.

UO0030.jpg

Ok... After this highly insightful armory review we can finish crushing sand niggers.

UO0031.jpg

No point in trying to chase them, our Cats are exhausted.

UO0032.jpg

Slingers killed 200 dudes each again, and they have only 120 guys in unit.

UO0002.jpg

Kalinikos, you better pull off some crazy shit or you are dead.

UO0003.jpg

Ha, fak u papirus u suck. Well, they didn't have general so combination of phalangitai in narrows street and constant storm of fire arrows proved enough to break them.

UO0004.jpg

UO0005.jpg

And Pella is no longer under siege and we can recruit some mercenaries.

UO0006.jpg

Also, we finally reached Sabyn cities after eternity of crossing desert. Now they will know how stupid they were starting this war.

Storming fortresses, walls and generally doing stupid shit that no one else would do is what Hypaspistai are designed for.
Which is pretty historically accurate. And what's even more funny, is that there are successors to those units in the byzantine and even 19th-20th century greek army. (aka storming mountain fortifications with bayonet and knife and not with artillery and developing superior firepower like any sane person would do)

Fucking love those dudes.

Update 32 - Conquest of Arabia (Ancient vikings)

UO0001.jpg

Rhodos is not as cool as Lesbos but we also need it. Let's not waste time starving it, attack ze walls!

UO0002.jpg

UO0003.jpg

They are relatively happy but we are not taking any chances. ENSLAVE!

UO0004.jpg

Remember this "Babylonian Police Force" I was talking about five milion updates ago? (when Charax got conquered by rebels) well, I decided it's finally time to form it. We have some Babylonian Heavy Spearmen but they look way to cool to be line infantry so we will also need some shittier poor persian spearmen (Oh and I'm ignorant fuck so Babylonians=Persians for me).

UO0001.jpg

UO0002.jpg

We have only skirmishers here as a garrison and Saka brought some really heavy cavalry so I'm not looking forward to this battle.

UO0003.jpg

Ha, their only ram got burned.

UO0004.jpg

Close Victory my ass, it was glorious!

UO0006.jpg

In theory we are still at peace (and trading) with Sauromatae but I don't think that this stack just dropped by to say hello.

UO0001.jpg

We have a chance to recruit some Gaesatae mercenaries. They are Gaulish "berserkers" who are high on drugs and fight naked. They are also expensive as balls but they are great and will gives us a chance to se some pixelated DICKS so, full bag of them please.

UO0002.jpg

Sabyn are finally trying to lift the siege and give us chance to kill their another army and maybe take the city.

UO0003.jpg

UO0005.jpg

There is lots of them but I think we should be fine as long as we keep our flanks secure.

UO0006.jpg

They are going at our center so I will send Hypaspistai to get some easy kill while our phalanx keep Sabyn infantry in one place.

UO0007.jpg

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

Then most of Arabian cavalry, skirmishers and general bodyguards charged our weakend (due to lack of Hypaspistai) left flank.

UO0014.jpg

We told our Hypaspistai to go help left flank and then our cavalry started butt-charging procedure.

UO0016.jpg

Well... they are holding the line but I don't know for how long they can do it.

UO0017.jpg

Center is secure so we can start sending troops to clusterfuck in the left.

UO0019.jpg

UO0024.jpg

Sabyn general died during Kataphraktoi charge, generals have shitton of hitpoints so it's very rare thing to insta-kill them with a charge, but I don't mind man.

exter.JPG

Cleanse, Purge, KILL!

UO0025.jpg

Dead general = mass rout.

UO0026.jpg

UO0027.jpg

Left flank was a fucking slaughterhouse.

UO0028.jpg

UO0001.jpg

UO0002.jpg

Greeks just put their army outside our walls and did absolutely nothing. Timer run out and we "won".

UO0003.jpg

Our cheapo marines landed in Crete and we siege Kydonia (No, not this one from Ufo: Enemy Unknown).

UO0004.jpg

UO0005.jpg

Go away.

UO0006.jpg

And don't come back.

UO0007.jpg

Ok, this time we actually can get this city.

UO0009.jpg

sandtrooper_corporal.jpg

Those are Arabs we were looking for.

UO0011.jpg

UO0013.jpg

ENSLAVE.

UO0015.jpg

Ok, it tought it might be like that. We have full stack in this city and population is still only at 15% loyalty, we won't be able to keep it. So we start plan B: we loot the shit out of this city destroying every building and then we move on.

UO0016.jpg

We gained shitton of shekels for looting it (We even destroyed "special bulding" here - Mecca ohohoho) and we can go loot another city putting Sabyn back in stone age. That's what you get for messing with Seleukeia!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm not sure abandoning the city was a good idea. Of course there is a chance that the turbanheads will reclaim it. However there is also a chance that the city will rebel, producing a glorious doomstack right behind you. Jove knows the Mauretanian cities did that to me more often than not.

I'm not sure abandoning the city was a good idea. Of course there is a chance that the turbanheads will reclaim it. However there is also a chance that the city will rebel, producing a glorious doomstack right behind you. Jove knows the Mauretanian cities did that to me more often than not.

I know, but there was no chance we could keep it. Keeping our army there would got our soldiers killed during "revolts" and then we would get kicked out by rebellion anyway. I decided to conquer and loot remaining Sabyn cities to fuel our war in europe (east can wait for now because I think we have quite secure border there).

Actually, what the hell were you doing in Mauretania as Romans? did you steamroll Carthage? :hero:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Which is pretty historically accurate. And what's even more funny, is that there are successors to those units in the byzantine and even 19th-20th century greek army. (aka storming mountain fortifications with bayonet and knife and not with artillery and developing superior firepower like any sane person would do)

Truly? That's interesting. I do not remember any specialized Heavy Infantry Assault Unit of common use in the ERE - but my knowledge stops around the middle Byzantine period-, and maybe some Tagmata unit could fit the role.
The Modern Greeks used something like that? I always thought the concept of 'shock troops' came into being in WWI, with the German Stormtroopers of the subhuman 'Arditi' of the Italians. Any extra info on the Greek equivalents? I'm no expert in modern/contemporary military history and the Net is unhelpful.

Exterminating cities is a good way to keep them in line. As Romani, I had huge problems keeping the Iberians 'happy'.
After a neverending series of revolts, barely 10'000 Iberians were left alive.

Using a lot of governors it's a great way to keep them stable- a big empire quickly produces lots of potential governors. Select a family or two for military matters and keep the rest as governors. Be careful: having too much money it's bad, because for some reason "LOTS OF MONEY= BAD TRAITS".Usually EB is quite good with traits - almost Crudaderking-like. In my Romani playthrough, the ruling Ptolemies were all Hellenized Jews. Hilarious.

Update 33 - Storm Over Europe (Rock out with your cock out).

UO0001.jpg

Sabyn are not interested in reclaiming Carna so we will just siege their capital and then loot it.

UO0002.jpg

You have empty city there you fools, go retake it before it spawns doomstack.

UO0004.jpg

"Heroic" victory but our Kataphraktoi got almost annihilated by Arabian medium cavalry.

UO0005.jpg

UO0006.jpg

UO0007.jpg

And now we have Crete which should make us good money thanks to creating trade rout between anatolia and egypt.

UO0008.jpg

Ok, Carna rebelled and spawned proper "rebellion stack", it spawned crapton of "freed slaves" who are shit units and that's how rebellions should look like. They attacked us and we are going to retreat because I don't feel like fighting with two armies at once (THERE WAS NO "SKULL" SIGN NEAR OUR GENERAL PORTRAIT - why I said that will be obvious in a while).

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

Greeks decided to just stand near our walls doing nothing so I hauled my ass out of the city and killed their two family members (and lost some men in the process).

UO0011.jpg

Oook, our army is "gone" and general died because... because. I don't know why, there was no skull sign near our general portrait or any indication that we are going to lose this army if we retreat. Whatever game, I ain't even mad.

Ok, did some internet research - Sometimes you can't retreat because you are surrounded. Thing is that game don't inform you when it happens and still gives you option to retreat (but then it destroys your army). It's an iron man LP so no TAKE BACKSIES! this army is gone, desert took them.

UO0012.jpg

You know what could make sense? making naval invasion in southern greece to create second front for Koinon Hellenon, for example. But Seleukeia don't give a fuck about sense, Seleukeia just march it's armies in random places and wait for something AWESOME to happen. So we ninja'd one army around Pella and besieged Demetrias.

UO0013.jpg

And dem Athenians a liek, "oh no, you didn't!".

UO0014.jpg

This is, what I would call - "Proper army with a surprise". Proper because it have decent Klereouchoi Phalangitai as a main infantry line...

UO0015.jpg

Proper because we have some non-phalanx units hidden here and there...

UO0016.jpg

And "with a surprise" because some of our hidden units have their cocks out. Nobody would expect that.

UO0017.jpg

Athenians (I will call them Athenians because Koinon Hellenon is quite a mouthfull) have one small army behind us but we are prepared.

UO0018.jpg

We moved two phalangitai units to our rear and poking commenced.

UO0019.jpg

And some butt-charging.

UO0020.jpg

Meanwhile their main army is getting near our phalanx.

UO0022.jpg

It's time to unleash our surprise.

UO0023.jpg

rape.JPG

YOU GONNA GET RAPED

UO0024.jpg

They all routed and I can't fucking blame them.

UO0029.jpg

Only Athenian general behind us is not fleeing but we shall change it by another cavalry butt-charge.

UO0030.jpg

UO0031.jpg

Grorious.

UO0001.jpg

That's unexpected, they stopped siege of Pella to save Demetrias.

UO0002.jpg

Simillar place, same tactic. Our phalanx line is shorter but they will have shit poping out from forest at them all the time.

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg

Greek Medium cav stumbled upon our naked dudes in the forest.

UO0005.jpg

Naked dudes will be all kinds of fine so we can concentrate on ruining their flanking maneuver on our right.

UO0006.jpg

UO0007.jpg

And then they attacked our center. Our phalanx formation is very deep so they have absolutely no chance to break it.

UO0008.jpg

And every unit they send to flank us is getting raped by naked gauls.

UO0010.jpg

We squiezed our cavalry through their left flank and now we are free to destroy Athenian skirmishers and butt-charge their infantry fighting in the center.

UO0014.jpg

I decided to send our cavalry to kill enemy scorpion crew because they are sniping our gauls.

UO0015.jpg

SPARTUNS! send naked gauls at them!

UO0016.jpg

"Intimidated by nearby enemy" well, no fucking wonder.

UO0018.jpg

UO0019.jpg

We crushed their morale with combination of butt-charging and dongcoptering. I ordered general charge and dem Athenians be fleeing.

UO0020.jpg

Gangrape of last remaning spartan.

UO0021.jpg

Grorious victoly.

UO0022.jpg

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

ENSLAVE.

UO0025.jpg

... Wat?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Actually, what the hell were you doing in Mauretania as Romans? did you steamroll Carthage? :hero:

Of course I did. And Epeiros. And Lousitana. And Koinon Helleinon. And Makedonia. And Pontos. The Seleukoi got steamrolled by Palhava and Baktria, sadly. Now I am nearing the time of Pompey's sacking of Hierosolyma, and may Jove help the Ptolemaioi who hold it!
Fun times, of course, will come in 20 years. Gaul will have to be conquered. And at *that* point I will start diverging from the real world timeline. I shall LARP Caesar's survival and continued rule :salute:

Truly? That's interesting. I do not remember any specialized Heavy Infantry Assault Unit of common use in the ERE - but my knowledge stops around the middle Byzantine period-, and maybe some Tagmata unit could fit the role.
The Modern Greeks used something like that? I always thought the concept of 'shock troops' came into being in WWI, with the German Stormtroopers of the subhuman 'Arditi' of the Italians. Any extra info on the Greek equivalents? I'm no expert in modern/contemporary military history and the Net is unhelpful.

Exterminating cities is a good way to keep them in line. As Romani, I had huge problems keeping the Iberians 'happy'.
After a neverending series of revolts, barely 10'000 Iberians were left alive.

Using a lot of governors it's a great way to keep them stable- a big empire quickly produces lots of potential governors. Select a family or two for military matters and keep the rest as governors. Be careful: having too much money it's bad, because for some reason "LOTS OF MONEY= BAD TRAITS".Usually EB is quite good with traits - almost Crudaderking-like. In my Romani playthrough, the ruling Ptolemies were all Hellenized Jews. Hilarious.

The Excubitors, or their inheritors in the tagmata (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excubitors) were a mix of cavalry and infantry. They were crack troops compromised of byzantine natives that were used to storm enemy fortifications. And before that, during the Macedonian Dynasty, Basil II and his progenitors made several reforms, one of which was the creation of an assault unit that is referred to as the immortals in some chronicles. (could be related to the elite regiment that stormed Dorostolon and expelled the Rus from the Balkans) It followed Bardas during his rebellion then switched over to Basil II.

And in the modern greek army the Evzones were an elite unit mostly used in mountain warfare, but they along with a few other crack regiments were used as assault troops in several battles, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sarantaporo where they stormed extensive mountain fortifications with little artillery support (as the greek army barely had any) as well as in several battles during the greco-turkish war, where the supply situation was so bad from the get-go that a lot of the artillery pieces had to be abandoned. (not to mention that a lot of troops starved to death in the following months)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sakarya According to John Milton (don't remember his source) Mount Chal was taken by veterans who engaged the enemy with bayonet and knives. Another fun fact is that the Evzones were always referred to as the Agema ton Evzonon (Agema of the Evzones). Agema originally meant 'group of soldiers' but in late antiquity it assumed the meaning of regiment/tagma of elite troops.

Update 34 - Storm Over Europe

UO0001.jpg

Situation in europe is stable. Our faction leader is saved, we have one army in Demetrias and three more are coming. But unfortunately east is still being east. I said we have "secure border" here but this city is not part of this "secure border".

UO0002.jpg

Actually, you know what? they had only one ram and it got burned. Now they have only ladders and siege tower and their infantry sucks completely. We may be able to defend this city.

UO0003.jpg

Yeah, archers climbing ladders won't be able to overcome Baktrian Light Infantry.

UO0004.jpg

Saka have a lot of shiny cavalry here, but cavalry can't do jack shit until gates are open.

UO0005.jpg

And gates won't be open because their infantry got slaughtered and Saka have to bugger off.

UO0006.jpg

UO0008.jpg

Our Persian Army is almost ready and we told them to conquer Phraaspa, then turn around and retake Charax.

UO0009.jpg

Meanwhile we are getting ready to land another army in Greece, preferably near Sparte.

UO0010.jpg

Armenians were calm for very long time but they started their sheneanigans again.

UO0011.jpg

Ok, their general bodyguards got reformed and are even more murderous than before.

UO0012.jpg

They completely fucked up our Argyraspides formation by charging it from the front, we had to send Hypaspistai to fill the gaps.

UO0014.jpg

But that was only hiccup during this, otherwise flawless, defence.

UO0001.jpg

I recruited small stack of horse archers to take back Nisa and deal with Saka raiding parties.

UO0002.jpg

Landing in southern greece was a crazy talk, greek fleet would destroy our ships before we would get anywhere close. We were forced to land near Chalkis.

UO0003.jpg

We installed "puppet king" in Demetrias and moved our army out. Hopefully greeks will attack us and our "marines" will be free to take Chalkis.

UO0004.jpg

Nope, I don't think so. It looks like saving Chalkis is priority for greeks.

UO0005.jpg

Finally we have chance to see if we wasted our money creating this persian army.

UO0007.jpg

Archers, slingers, Babylonian heavies and Parthian peasants with spears.

UO0009.jpg

And, of course, smurf cavalry.

UO0010.jpg

They did quite well, I don't think I would want to fight Epeiros or Koinon Hellenon with this army, but here, this army is good for what it is :troll:

UO0011.jpg

ENSLAVE. Also I noticed that only archers are persian in this "Persian Army" rest is Babylonian, Hellenic or Parthian. No matter, Quisqe Est Persianus Alio.

UO0001.jpg

Ok, Athenians finally catched our bait.

UO0002.jpg

Deja vu.

UO0003.jpg

Strategy of having short but deep phalanx line and covering our flanks with units hidden in forests works wonders.

UO0004.jpg

Units that stumbles upon our "traps" don't have time to prepare and their morale is also lowered by "enemies emerging from nowhere".

UO0005.jpg

One annoying thing is that since Koinon Hellenon gained acess to macedonian phalanx they keep spamming them, and their phalangitai are better than ours, for some reason.

UO0007.jpg

But we have terrain advantage so quality of phalangitai don't matter that much.

UO0009.jpg

UO0011.jpg

Athenians abandoned plans of flanking us and send everything they got at our center. I ordered our naked dudes and thorakitai to charge downhill, they routed couple units even before they reached them.

UO0013.jpg

And now we shall butt-chrage their main infantry line, they don't have general here so they should easily break.

UO0015.jpg

UO0016.jpg

UO0017.jpg

Yup, it's over, now we just have to chase them down.

UO0018.jpg

They got completely fucked up.

UO0019.jpg

I didn't expect it to go that well. But that's what happens when AI attack you with a stack without general.

UO0020.jpg

UO0021.jpg

They are fucked and I think they know it.

UO0001.jpg

Well, having general didn't help them much.

UO0002.jpg

Now let's take Chalkis. I will do this battle myself because this army is too imporant and I don't trust auto-resolve.

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg

ENSLAVE. And then we will install some puppet king here to keep Chalkis loyal. Everything was fine and well, and then...

UO0001.jpg

By Seleucus! Elephants stack!

UO0002.jpg

How the fuck are we supposed to stop them?

UO0003.jpg

Bastards don't need siege equipment, elephants can destroy wooden walls.

UO0004.jpg

WALLS ARE DOWN!

UO0005.jpg

Where is Legolas when you need him?!

UO0006.jpg

COURAGE MEN!

UO0008.jpg

UO0009.jpg

Don't let them go through!

UO0010.jpg

UO0012.jpg

We are all going to die!

UO0013.jpg

LOOK! THERE! RIDERS OF ROHAN! OUR GENERAL'S CAVALRY!

UO0015.jpg

WHERE NOW THE HORSE AND THE RIDE... SHIEEEEET!

UO0017.jpg

Target their belly, that's their only weakness!

UO0018.jpg

Look ma! I'm flying!

UO0023.jpg

Keep stabbing, don't let them regain balance!

UO0024.jpg

We got them! did we won?

UO0026.jpg

... Nope.

UO0028.jpg

For Seleukeia!

UO0030.jpg

Awww crap.

UO0032.jpg

Our loyal satrap, smashed by elephants.

UO0033.jpg

Have at you!

UO0034.jpg

UO0035.jpg

Bastards!

Update 35 - Storm Over Europe

UO0001.jpg

Well, Baktrians conquered Khiva but our horse archers company is about to take back Nisa from rebels.

UO0002.jpg

UO0003.jpg

Our eastern border look all pretty now, thing is we are going to lose one province to Saka Rauka because they decided to starve it after last failed attack. Doesn't matter, we should be finished in greece soon so we will be able to bring rape train here.

UO0001.jpg

We managed to ninja'd our army from crete fo southern greece. Next turn we shall besiege Sparte.

UO0002.jpg

Armenians try their luck again...

UO0003.jpg

Sarmatian foot archers are only thing they can recruit in their "new homeland" so I don't give them much chances in taking this city.

UO0004.jpg

Yup.

UO0005.jpg

And now it's time to take Athens.

UO0006.jpg

I will do this myself again.

UO0007.jpg

We lost quite a lot of gaulic naked dudes but we conquered Athens and Koinon Hellenon is down to two cities (and one is under siege).

UO0008.jpg

ENSLAVE.

UO0009.jpg

UO0001.jpg

Remember when was the last time we attacked someone? I mean, last time our army actually attacked enemy? because I don't, we usually forced others to attack us. Let's change this trend a little and attack dem baktrians.

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

Well, Baktrians had two armies here but they couldn't leave the field because one army already retreated this turn, so they got killed.

UO0025.jpg

We didn't get the city but we will take it next turn. Oh, and you might noticed that this army is led by captain and don't have general. Well, this is former Sarpedon's army, no one is fucking man enough to lead them. They will have general only if we get "man of the hour" event which will let us adopt on of them to our family, until then - they move for no man.

UO0026.jpg

Silly spartans decided to give us their city polis.

UO0028.jpg

UO0029.jpg

UO0030.jpg

ENSLAVE! and then install pupper king because we can't recruit our troops in hellas anyway. Dem greeks won't even know that someone conquered them, we bring you freedom you fools!

UO0031.jpg

Oh, half of Gaul is not enough for Roman upstars and they declared war on Free People Living in a Free State Aedui.

UO0033.jpg

I don't think that looting one city teached turbanheads anything, they will surely send another army at us so Basileus decided to form special army to deal with it - Seleukid Manipular Army. No phalangitai, only Thuerophoroi with some Thorakitai support (and standard archers/skirmishers thingy). It should be slightly cheaper than normal phalangitai army and way more fun.

UO0001.jpg

asdf.JPG

No, thanks. It takes too much time and it's completely not worth the effort.

UO0005.jpg

Ok, this might my the last battle of Koinon Hellenon.

UO0006.jpg

Aww yisss, "shore" battle... no trees, flat terrain, perfect!

UO0007.jpg

Oh and we have some Syrian Archers which we could recruit long ago but they were too expensive then (for an archers).

UO0008.jpg

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

Let's do some good old flanking.

UO0011.jpg

Or not, our Thueropheroi got charged by 5 horsemen screaming "FREEEDOM!".

UO0012.jpg

And more are coming so no flanking for us.

UO0014.jpg

I did some rearrangements in our phalanx line because of greek manauvers and we better use our cavalry before we form swastika.

UO0015.jpg

UO0017.jpg

Greek left flank routed and we can prepare to destroy last army of Hellenic League.

UO0019.jpg

UO0020.jpg

UO0022.jpg

Goodnight sweet prince.

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

Basileis of Arche Seleukeia as a loading screen. Nice thing is that our current faction leader (son of Theodoros/Antiochus II Theos) is actually called Kalinikos so we have historical leaders even though it's completely random after first generation.

UO0025.jpg

Zed's dead baby, but we didn't get Korinthos.

UO0026.jpg

Now we will take these two cities and we will be done with europe for now.

UO0001.jpg

Why not? They are at war with Romans so maybe this will provoke them to attack us or something.

UO0002.jpg

Attacking full army with only 800 guys is stupid fucking idea Epeirotes.

UO0003.jpg

Yeah, didn't worked out so great for them.

UO0001.jpg

Marakanda surrendered and I think that's as far east as we are going to expand until greece is pacified.

UO0002.jpg

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg

You may wonder why it was "heroic" victory when we outnumbered them so much. Well, they mostly had Elite Phalangitai, I don't know why but epeiros tend to spam it's elite units.

UO0005.jpg

Ambrakia is ours. Now we only need Korinthos and we will have whole european part of Alexandros empire.

Update 36 - By the Rivers of Babylon (Brotherhood of men Hellenic style).

We almost recreated Alexandros empire and fulfilled his dream - Brotherhood of Men.

Oh, this brotherhood of men means that people will accept our culture as theirs or they will be cleansed, purged and then killed.

UO0001.jpg

We tolerated independence of Charax for too long, it's time to crush rebellious army and then retake the city.

UO0002.jpg

UO0003.jpg

Ok biatches, time to pay for your insolence.

UO0004.jpg

UO0005.jpg

All them brown people look the same! similar uniforms make it hard to tell which troops are ours!

UO0006.jpg

But it doesn't matter, smurf cavalry will butt-charge everything with extreme prejudice.

UO0007.jpg

We are lucky that AI decided to put our babylonians on left flank, because that's where enemy phalangitai attacked.

UO0008.jpg

I don't know if klerouchoi phalangitai counts as "armoured unit" but I told babylonians to use their secondary, anti-armor, weapon anywyay.

UO0009.jpg

UO0010.jpg

Blam!

UO0011.jpg

Mass rout. No point in chasing them, Eleuthroi armies disband after lost battle.

UO0012.jpg

UO0013.jpg

We gon get you next turn, you bloody city snatching rebels!

UO0001.jpg

Goddamit Carthaginians are back.

UO0003.jpg

Fortunately we keep pretty big garrison in Kyrene. Also I'm tired of their attacks and I hired shaman to place a curse on Carthage. In 2000 years media of far away land will make nigger* out of their finest military mind, take that carthage!

UO0004.jpg

Sabyn seems to be in state of shock after our "invasion" and it doesn't look like they are planning to strike back now. I decided to use our "manipular army"* to destroy Armenia.

*Because of how RTW engine works, every army is manipular. I just call them that because they are non-phalanx.

UO0005.jpg

I will auto-resolve battle of Charax because it's not very important and we have 25:1 advantage.

UO0006.jpg

Fair enough.

UO0007.jpg

ENSLAVE

...The wicked
Carried us away in captivity
Required from us a song...

Sing fuckers, it's for greater good of Brotherhood of Men (tm).

UO0008.jpg

Emperor's Finest besgied Alexandreia Eschate because, even though it's a shithole, we need it and it holds baktrian full army. Siege will reduce their numbers and they will be forced to sally forth in 3 turns.

UO0001.jpg

Ok, we got ourselves surrounded here so no retreating, we have to fight.

UO0002.jpg

We are on a slope and between two epeirotes armies. We have to charge uphill and destroy smaller stack to take this hill.

UO0003.jpg

UO0004.jpg

UO0005.jpg

Butt-charging is our only hope because fuckers have mostly elite phalangitai here.

UO0006.jpg

UO0007.jpg

We routed most of first stack so now we have to turn around and prepere to deal with main army.

UO0010.jpg

UO0012.jpg

Our cavalry is running around like headless chickens because Epeirotes are actually fucking flanking us (First time in this damn campaign when AI is doing PROPER flanking).

UO0014.jpg

Tunnel vision kicked in, I told my cavalry to charge straight into some dudes and didn't noticed that Epeirotes have Thessalian cav in near.

UO0016.jpg

Thesallians were exhausted though so we manaeged to rout them and we had to immidiately run our cavalry to right flank because it's in deep shit.

UO0017.jpg

Our general is nowhere near as good as AI generals (and never will be, that's how EB works) so our units rout easily when flanked.

UO0018.jpg

Our cavalry is greatly reduced in numbers but is still able to do some serious damage (to morale, but that's all the damage we need).

UO0019.jpg

Finally, enemy general died. I ordered everyone to drop sarissa and just charge.

UO0021.jpg

UO0022.jpg

Shieeet, if Epeiros general didn't decide to commit suicide we might had fucking problem here.

UO0023.jpg

UO0024.jpg

ENSLAVE.

UO0025.jpg

Ok, thats "Armenia" now. Destroying Hayasdan is our victory condition but since they made new home in fucking Sarmatian steppes it might be tricky. I think our best bet not to get "rebellion doomstacks" here is take those cities and then give them to Sauromatae as a gifts (But there is no guarantee that Suromatae will accept them).

UO0026.jpg

Also Sraka Rauka is on the move again, and this time with quite big stack. Fortunately there is only one bridge leading to Baktra and we have small army standing on it.

UO0001.jpg

Shit, they went around us *maginotlinelevel facepalm*.

UO0002.jpg

Ok, only some small detatchment went around us. Main Saka army is trying to go through the bridge.

UO0005.jpg

Or not, they were just standing on their side. We shoot eachother a little and then timer run out.

UO0006.jpg

Time to deal with Baktrian army and conquer tiniest village on earth.

UO0007.jpg

UO0008.jpg

And Baktrians are fucking nomads now.

UO0009.jpg

Man, that's enough battles for this turn.

UO0010.jpg

Celtic levies may be shit, but we have towers on our side.

UO0011.jpg

Dagnabbit, that's seriously enough battles!

UO0002.jpg

Then the game crashed and I'm too pissed off to redo all those battles now so that's it for this update.

You really, really should save before every battle. Told ya how to do it in the enemy turn. Learned it the same hard way you're learning it now :P

Yeah, I really didn't want to save and reload during enemy turn because I was afraid it might screw EB campaign script, but after redoing 4 battles and then one battle 2 times I decided to risk it next time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom