Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: Horde! (Finished)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Only four hordlings? Pfffff, what is this dumbed down console shit for the masses?
:lol: So simple, yet so funny.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Balor said:
Didn't manage to finish it though - this game is fucking HARD. I hope you'll finish it so I can see how it ends :).
Good ol' days and games that were about kicking you in the nuts instead of gently holding your hand and caressing your ego. Back in the day if the game didn't make you feel like a clueless retard unable to complete a simple task like protecting your land from a few hordelings, the developers didn't try hard enough.

Darth Roxor said:
What you've seen before was mearly the Chancellor's evil propaganda showing our failure, here's the real version of what has happened:
:lol:

Great let's play thread, Darth! Keep up the good work.

Raapys

Arcane
You using Dosbox to play it? Tried it myself, but it was rather annoying to play with crazy sluggish framerates no matter how many CPU cycles I used.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dosbox, yes, and the CPU cycles are fixed in the version I'm playing. Only the intro was sluggish, everything else is perfectly fine.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I believe you may get archer contract soon. IIRC, both knights & archers aren't mobile in this game, so the archer is definitely better.

Balor

Arcane
As I remember, knights are pretty good at guarding gaps in stone walls, where hordling usually stream into.
They hit pretty fast and hard, and can even kill a tank... sometimes they do, sometimes not, as far as my memory serves.

Using lures placed near knights also seem to work out quite nice.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh man, I recall playing the shit outta the demo. Never saw this in stores, though.

Traps have hardly been mentioned, I wonder if you could place a Lure on top of a trap.

Secret Recipe and Knight Contract, says I.

Also, how 'bout some more strategically placed walls?

Anyway, great LP.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I'd say this is the best LP yet. Obscure games people haven't heard about is what it should be about. I wonder how many people will try and get their hands on the game based on this LP. I know if I ever saw this in a shop, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It looks like it's got that loving quality you just don't get in games anymore.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome back citizens! Last time we met, the king gave us the title of Master of Shimto Plains. Today's episode will bring some hopechange (with more change and less hope) to our glorious task.

Following your votes, I bought Le Bombe and the secret recipe just for the hell of it, because it's cheap anyway.

So, without further delay!

Noooooo, the first part of the briefing where the Chancellor stabs a Chauncey voodoo doll didn't get saved... but it went like this:

"How are you feeling today Chauncey...?
ANY SHARP HEADACHES?
OR ANY SHARP CHEST PAINS?!"
*chauncey enters*
"Chancellor!"
"Huh... how are you feeling today Chauncey...?"
"Greater than ever!"

and the rest is as follows

UO0222.jpg

UO0223.jpg

UO0224.jpg

UO0225.jpg

UO0226.jpg

UO0227.jpg

UO0228.jpg

UO0229.jpg

UO0230.jpg

UO0231.jpg

UO0232.jpg

UO0233.jpg

UO0234.jpg

UO0235.jpg

UO0236.jpg

UO0237.jpg

So, here we are - the tree realm of Alburga. New environment, new people, new hordlings. Marvelous

UO0239.jpg

And overland shot of the starting settlement. Now, it is IMPERATIVE to cut down all the trees this spring, and I'll explain why later.

UO0241.jpg

New protection for new cows

UO0242.jpg

The villagers look funky here. The music in strategy mode is also hilarious.

UO0243.jpg

UO0244.jpg

Oh yeah, getting the wall in the south was a splendid idea.

UO0245.jpg

SPLENDID INDEED :cool:

UO0246.jpg

P. good results. Only one hordling managed to encircle the wall to snatch some crops.

UO0247.jpg

Oh yeah? Sorry, I don't listen to animal-hugging hippies. What'cha gonna do? Tie yourselves to the trees and yell 'WHY CAN'T WE JUST GET ALONG?' ?
And besides, I need $$$$ and there's some good $$$$ to be had on your trees.

UO0248.jpg

UO0249.jpg

IIIIIII'M A LUMBERJACK, AND I'M OK!

UO0250.jpg

Fuck. Well, guess cutting down the trees really IS a bad idea after all. And that is why it was vital to chop down everything in spring - back then we didn't lose hp.

UO0251.jpg

An overview of the village.

UO0252.jpg

UO0253.jpg

UO0254.jpg

Idiots, lol.

UO0255.jpg

See that cock with silly black pants and a headband? Yup, that's the pygmy thief the first tip was warning us about. They are a lot more intelligent than their other brethren we faced before, although they still die in only one hit. They move pretty much as fast as Chauncey, have ranged projectile attacks (but don't hit hard), can hide among the trees, and while other hordlings have a 'RUN IN AND EAT EVERYTHING' mentality, they are much more mean - they run away from you when you chase them, and attack the village only when you are away.

UO0256.jpg

UO0257.jpg

They also plant 'horde crops'. See the saplings on the patch to the north? When the invasion ends, they'll grow into a patch of red shit that blocks regular crops from growing and doesn't give you gold.

UO0258.jpg

FUCK, we've lost a cow. See? I was away chasing the other thieves, and two of them took their time and assaulted the cows.

UO0259.jpg

Meh.

UO0260.jpg

UO0261.jpg

UO0262.jpg

UO0263.jpg

UO0264.jpg

UO0265.jpg

UO0266.jpg

Neat. Let's hope it stays that way.

UO0267.jpg

UO0268.jpg

Restocked on cows

UO0269.jpg

The evil crops need to be dug out ASAP, as they are also spreading to other forums... I mean, uh, crops.

UO0270.jpg

UO0271.jpg

TRY YOUR LUCK NOW, HORDLING FAGGOTS. Next next-gen cow pen 3.0. Now with 500% more spiky traps.

UO0272.jpg

And another cow.

UO0273.jpg

INCOMING!!!

UO0274.jpg

Go me, I forgot to remove one patch of weeds, because it was cleverly hidden behind a house.

UO0275.jpg

UO0276.jpg

Durrhurr

UO0278.jpg

Right, let's check if the meat is good for anything.

UO0279.jpg

The last faggot alive hid behind a tree.

UO0280.jpg

And wasn't going for the meat, so I thwacked him instead. Goddammit, the thieves are also immune to the secret recipe. Fortunately it's cheap as hell (5 gold per piece), so no matter.

UO0281.jpg

Ok, that's better than last time.

UO0282.jpg

We've seen our share of those in the last update.

UO0283.jpg

Nothing to do here really. Last shot of the town before we hit another year.

UO0284.jpg

Hmmm, lotsa.

UO0285.jpg

Lotsa indeed.

UO0286.jpg

There goes another villager...

UO0287.jpg

UO0288.jpg

UO0289.jpg

COME BACK HERE, COWARD.

UO0290.jpg

UO0291.jpg

Another villager down (northwest corner) and more evil crops.

UO0292.jpg

While chasing around thieves, one of the saved villagers got eaten...
BUT! Notice how there's a missing spike trap. TRY HARDER, SHITHEADS!
A shame they disappear after one hordling walks into them.

UO0293.jpg

UO0294.jpg

Yippie-kay-eh muthafucka (blood & gore 18+).

UO0295.jpg

Meh. At least the cows are alright.

UO0296.jpg

In yo' face, punk!

Right, we're kinda low on cash, so I won't be buying anything this time around.

Some new wares in the shoppe:

UO0297.jpg

Flamethrower. Good for eliminating tanks as far as I recall, but you need to watch out to not turn your cows into BBQ.

UO0298.jpg

Basically like the knight contract, only three times as expensive and more useful, since they are regular, ranged turrets.

UO0299.jpg

Well, the description says it all.

Next update, we'll be facing Year 2 in the (queue ominous music) T-T-T-TREE REALM OF ALBURGA-Ga-ga-ga-ga (creepy fading echo)

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Und hallo. I'm running out of ideas what to write in these introductions, so just witness as we go through another year full of nasty Hordlings.

UO0300.jpg

We start by eradicating the evil seed.

UO0301.jpg

Then we move the cows into non-rocky squares, and plant more traps. This cow pen is now a living hell for approaching hordlings.

UO0302.jpg

We also expand the wall a bit.

UO0303.jpg

And prepare for more Thwacking!

UO0304.jpg

UO0305.jpg

UO0306.jpg

I really hate getting dazed. Sometimes it happens even after two swings.

UO0307.jpg

UO0308.jpg

Last one.

UO0309.jpg

Damn them and their friggin blowing darts.

UO0310.jpg

That's surprisingly good for this area and year.

UO0311.jpg

Yup, chopping down trees is still a bad idea... I like the money though.

UO0312.jpg

Hurrhurrhurr

UO0313.jpg

Lotsa. But it'll be common from now on.
Time for an Epic, Valiant, Mighty, Brave defense of the Holy village of the True Metal.
(Soundtrack for this episode)

UO0314.jpg

Let's wait and see how their forces spread

UO0315.jpg

Right, most of them advance from the east, and those coming from the south/southwest will smash against the wall first, which will buy us some time.

UO0316.jpg

SO WE'LL FIGHT AGAINST THE WIND...

UO0317.jpg

... FOR THE GLORY OF THE KINGS...

UO0318.jpg

... TO DEFEAT THE EVIL ENEMIES...

UO0319.jpg

... AND WE'LL RIDE WITH OUR LORD...

UO0320.jpg

... FOR THE POWER AND THE THRONE...

UO0321.jpg

IN THE NAME OF HOLY

UO0322.jpg

THUNDER

UO0323.jpg

FORCE!

UO0324.jpg

IN THE NAME OF HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY

UO0325.jpg

THUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDEEEEEEEEEEERFOOOOOOOOOOOORCE!

UO0326.jpg

Oh yeah, that was fucking epic.

UO0328.jpg

But enough of these shenanigans, time to get rid of the evil crops again.

UO0329.jpg

And move the cows/rebuild the walls.

UO0330.jpg

UO0331.jpg

Goddamn, I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm too greedy, and not ALL trees hurt you.

UO0332.jpg

An overview.

UO0333.jpg

UO0334.jpg

Kay, seems the eastern flank is clear for now.

UO0335.jpg

UO0336.jpg

More jumpers... yay...

UO0337.jpg

UO0338.jpg

Somewhere around this part, I got pretty confused, I kept hearing crops getting eaten (you can hear a distinctive 'NOM' when they get snatched) and villagers yelling 'HELP!', but I had no idea where to proceed since the hordlings seemed to be friggin EVERYWHERE.

UO0339.jpg

Savin' peasants since year 0001, yo

UO0340.jpg

moar dazing.

UO0341.jpg

UO0342.jpg

UO0343.jpg

UO0344.jpg

And like I said. Lost almost all of our fucking crops. 18 destroyed crops means we just lost 54 gold. Dang.

UO0345.jpg

Last screenshot in Vynter. Nothing to do, so I called the horde almost instantly

UO0346.jpg

UO0347.jpg

So, I took my time to examine enemy movements, then proceeded to kill two suckers in the east, and suddenly I heard 'HELP!!!'

What the hell, how could they get there so fast?

UO0348.jpg

FUCK! I thought these don't appear until like, the third or even fourth area.
This, my gentle readers, is a hordling shaman. They can teleport right into the middle of your village, throw fireballs that turn buildings to rubble, cows and villagers into BBQ, and are generally a pain in the arse, but at least they are rather slow when moving...

UO0349.jpg

...and die after three hits.

UO0350.jpg

SHIT, a cow is missing. At this point I got confused again, because yet again a mayhem ensued. While I was running to the shaman and getting dazed, pretty much all the hordlings managed to get into the village.

UO0351.jpg

UO0352.jpg

UO0353.jpg

WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO WASTE GETTING DAZED, YOU RETARD.

I also heard a surprised 'MOO?!' kind of sound that indicates a cow is under attack. GREAT.

*sprint to the opposite part of town*

UO0354.jpg

But I managed to arrive in time. I believe it was the very last moment too. Really got lucky out there.

UO0355.jpg

Whoa, they actually managed to bust the wall. But it only shows how sturdy it is that it fell down only just now.

UO0356.jpg

Ouch... this is bad. But it COULD be worse.

UO0357.jpg

Meh.

UO0358.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm sure it hurts you more than me, Chancellor Apfelbaum.

Right, so we now have 820 crowns and are sent to the shoppe again. Should I buy something (and what should it be) or hoard the gold to buy more cows and do repairs around town?

Decisions, decisions... the fate of the gold is in your hands Codexers!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, but keep in mind that there's one problem about archers:

CASH.

First, buying the contract itself takes 750 from your coffer.

Then, you have to hire an actual archer which takes another 50+ (forgot the exact number, but I think it's about 60) and then you need to pay them like ~30 at the end of each season to keep them working.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
You have way too little cows. I suggest that you buy shitloads of cows at these early levels, because it's damn hard keeping them alive when the big hordlings start to appear.

Ashery

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
Yeah, but keep in mind that there's one problem about archers:

CASH.

First, buying the contract itself takes 750 from your coffer.

Then, you have to hire an actual archer which takes another 50+ (forgot the exact number, but I think it's about 60) and then you need to pay them like ~30 at the end of each season to keep them working.

Yea, but keep in mind that there's one problem about cows.

TIME.

As the previous year has shown, you're pushing Chauncey's abilities to readily handle the hordelings to their limits. You're already using as many traps as possible to protect the cows, so you can't just use more of'em to get out of the situation you're in.

Chauncey just doesn't have the time to handle everything himself. The ring of teleport might help, but I'm not sure if it's just a single shot item or what.

In your current state, protecting the cows involves either having Chauncey in their immediate vicinity at all times (Impossible and not guaranteed to work) or spending a sizable amount of crowns on single shot traps as you did in the previous year. You only lost a single cow this year, so you're only out 100c there, but how much did you spend on traps? How many crops would've been saved if you had the archer on either the E or W side of the wall?

I'm putting down my vote for the archers as well. They may be expensive, but i think they'll turn out to be a sound investment in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom