Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: Horde! (Finished)

Redeye

Arcane
hott.jpg
[/img]

Ashery

Prophet
Claw said:
I've been thinking, wouldn't a wall with a moat be an excellent defense?

It might be a good idea to build your pen next to water if you try again. Could kill a bunch of hordlings.

Expensive to do and not easily moved.

I've found knights placed along the outer edge of a pen to be the most effective method. Even for a sustainable pen holding thirty cows, you can get away with only having four to six knights and still have near perfect security.

Hell, I did without walls entirely in the swamps. The ring of teleport, however, is a must if you want to try going without walls as there will be the occasional hordling that comes from a different direction.

Being without knights greatly limits what can be done...Archers are just too fucking expensive to use frequently, so we need to come up with a suggestion that's actually feasible.

Also, spreading the cows out costs a bit more up front (Almost twice the initial cost, no two cows can be adjacent), but it's well worth the investment as you can use more permanent defenses for the pen.

I suppose you could use a 9x5 pen design (holds 15 sustainably), with the longer side facing the direction where most of the horde comes from. Add in two archers, one at each of the front corners so that the front is covered by two archers and each of the sides is guarded as well. After that, add in a couple traps in the rear for emergency defense and you should be good.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey Darth, sir Chauncey can't die that easily. Get to work and give us moar!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, yes, I know, I'll update tomorrow >:| I wanted to update today but got too sucked in by Knight Shift.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Now, at the start allow me to quote a great man and philosopher

duke3d_001-noscale.jpg

'NOW I'M REALLY PISSED OFF.'

Right, so we can proceed to fighting off the hordlings in the last year in the Tree Realm.

TREE REALM OF ALBURGA, YEAR 4: TAKE THREE!

(funny thing is, I remember that everytime I played Horde, this particular level DIDN'T make me rage so much, I think)

UO0562.jpg

UO0563.jpg

I've had enough of moving the goddamn cows. Let's try spreading them out after all, and see what happens.

UO0564.jpg

UO0565.jpg

Hmmm... I feel like I've seen this before.

UO0566.jpg

UO0567.jpg

I feel like I've thwacked these hordlings before.

UO0568.jpg

UO0569.jpg

UO0570.jpg

RAARGGGH!!!1 *battle rage*

UO0571.jpg

UO0572.jpg

Cocks are trying to plant evil saplings on my soil! What is this transgression?!

UO0573.jpg

After removing the sapling, we punish the ones responsible with extreme prejudice.

UO0574.jpg

Another sapling in the north (the red cross-like thingy near the edge of the cowpen). It would appear that our archer got, uh, eaten. Oh well.

UO0575.jpg

UO0576.jpg

UO0577.jpg

So-so. At least I won't have to pay anything to the hirelings ohurrhurrhurr.

UO0578.jpg

Ok, this next-gen cowpen was definitely a good idea. I don't have to move any of the cows.

So let's put the extra money to good use.

UO0579.jpg

And buy moar cows and walls.

I lack cash for an archer though...

However, when things get tough, the tough go chopping!

UO0580.jpg

Quit whining trees, nobody cares.

UO0581.jpg

'sup

UO0582.jpg

Chauncey - the master of deja-vu.

UO0583.jpg

UO0584.jpg

UO0585.jpg

I love the smell of explodin' hordlin' in the mornin'... it smells like... victory.

UO0586.jpg

Dum de dum. The stupid archers should have some kind of scripted priority to RESCUE VILLAGERS THAT ARE BEING EATEN RIGHT NEXT TO THEM :x

UO0587.jpg

UO0588.jpg

GOLD!!11

UO0589.jpg

At this point I heard the archer yell for help. Jolly...

UO0590.jpg

TO THE RESCUE!!!!

UO0591.jpg

Oops, too late. Well shucks \o_O/

UO0592.jpg

UO0593.jpg

Whoa, we lost like, half of our village in this attack. Changing the strategy and posting only one archer might have been good for my coffers, but not too good for the safety of the peasants...

UO0594.jpg

The cows still don't need moving. Amazing.

UO0595.jpg

Another archer hired. Let's hope the archer's guild doesn't ask any questions why do we need replacements each season...

UO0597.jpg

More cows to the herd.

UO0598.jpg

Heck, even more.

UO0599.jpg

By Triglav and Svarog, the enemy is a-coming!

UO0600.jpg

Relatively peaceful.

UO0601.jpg

First sightings. A second after that, a shaman popped up near the archer.

So, I went to investigate.

UO0602.jpg

HOLY SHIT. Nothing like buying two pieces of BBQ for goddamn 60 gold.

UO0603.jpg

But the shaman has been punished quickly, before he could beam out. He also dropped jewish gold.

UO0604.jpg

UO0605.jpg

Hmmm, at least the BBQ might stop some hungry hungry hordlings for a while if they run through the place.

UO0606.jpg

UO0607.jpg

UO0608.jpg

:x

UO0609.jpg

Even more jewish gold D:

UO0610.jpg

UO0611.jpg

UO0612.jpg

The situation was getting a little bit out of hand here, lotsa buildings got destroyed.

UO0613.jpg

As you can see in this picture. I would be surprised to see a single standing building in my humble village.

UO0614.jpg

UO0615.jpg

UO0616.jpg

Hey, hey! One does stand tall after all!

UO0618.jpg

Ouch...

UO0619.jpg

Ok... winter... how marvelous.

UO0620.jpg

Time to change the cow pen into great $$$$

UO0621.jpg

zzzziiiiiiing.

UO0622.jpg

UO0623.jpg

UO0624.jpg

Hired three archers. Don't wanna take any chances - there's no such thing as TOO cautious :
bronson.jpg
:

UO0625.jpg

Here goes nothing...

UO0626.jpg

Ok, so the plan is as follows. If I manage to fend off the hordlings coming from the north, the northernmost building SHOULD be safe enough, since the main strike force and panzer battalion come from the south, so it'll take them quite some time to reach the house (which will probably be left for the 'last' ) while they are blasting the whole town.

UO0627.jpg

NO TIME TO GET DAZED SHITHEAD.

UO0628.jpg

:half-life marine voice: This whole operation is out of control!

UO0629.jpg

godfuckingdammit...

UO0630.jpg

LEAVE THAT ARCHER ALONE, SCUMBAG.

UO0631.jpg

UO0632.jpg

We're taking heavy losses...

UO0633.jpg

UO0634.jpg

UO0635.jpg

Time to get fucked \o/

UO0636.jpg

ok... let's try this bomb thingy one more time...

UO0637.jpg

FIRE!!!! ALL GUNS!!!!

Yup, a direct hit ensued after this. Nothing died. Fucking jolly...

UO0638.jpg

So I went to do some thwacking. Dropped another bomb in the meantime. Again, nothing died.

UO0639.jpg

FUCK. There was a thief sneaking in the backlines. I hoped I took them all out.

UO0640.jpg

This is not good...

UO0641.jpg

... apparently the sneaking thief destroyed the northern house and ate the villager inside...

:rage:

UO0642.jpg

UO0643.jpg

UO0644.jpg

UO0645.jpg

UO0646.jpg

UO0647.jpg

UO0648.jpg

Next update tomorrow. This time I WILL succeed. :evil: :x

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Aren't those tanks always coming from the same direction? If so maybe you should put a knight or two there and some meat to try and lure them.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Comrade Darth Roxor, the Central Committee is not pleased with your results.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
Aren't those tanks always coming from the same direction? If so maybe you should put a knight or two there and some meat to try and lure them.

Oh yes, knights would DEFINITELY make stuff a lot easier...

...but you cocks never voted for hiring them, so CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES bitches, there's no going back now :evil:

You know what? Next time wall in that house.

That is a good suggestion, I'll take it into consideration.

luckyb0y

Scholar
I think I used to put knight next to archers so they wouldn't get eaten so easily.

abstract

Scholar
Since you get so much gold after selling off the cows in the last season, can't you hire like 10 archers to help with the fight?

Monocause

Arcane
He sold the cows so that he has the money in the next region. Spending it all on archers would be kinda pointless. On the other hand, spending some of it might be a good idea.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The problem is, archers aren't really that good against tanks. One archer will fire like, 2 or 3 arrows before the bastard gets to him, which is rather weak, and after he fires the said 2 or 3 arrows you hear him call for help and you start raging because of wasted gold, and with 5 tanks approaching, I'd need pretty much 10 archers so I can outnumber them 2:1, which will make the other 5 archers keep shooting a bit more while the first 5 are currently being eaten alive. And that is also a horrible waste of cash, since it would cost 600 gold just to hire them, and then another 60 for every archer left alive at the end of the season (which is rather implausible, but still), so instead of the ~1800, I'd be left with 1200 at best, and possibly even less + you need to subtract 200 gold for the taxes after this season, so I'd be left with 1000 AT BEST, which is not good since we want to start the new region with as many cows as possible and maybe get an archer or two for defence.

Balor

Arcane
Well, two knights next to each other are impenetrateable defence against tanks. You just need to lure them.
Alternatively, you can dig lots of pits. Not that it will work very well, though...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Balor said:
Well, two knights next to each other are impenetrateable defence against tanks. You just need to lure them.
Alternatively, you can dig lots of pits. Not that it will work very well, though...

Indeed. And that's probably why I never used to have problems with this level until now. I always abused knights as hell.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Balor said:
Darth Roxor said:
...but you cocks never voted for hiring them, so CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES bitches, there's no going back now :evil:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I hope you're ready to face certain doom yet again, for now begins, THE INQUISTION!!

Uh, I mean, the new update.

Well, I suppose you've seen the first three seasons enough times, and since apart from the shaman in fall there's nothing really interesting in them, I took the liberty of not taking any screenshots except for the tables with results.

UO0650.jpg

UO0651.jpg

UO0652.jpg

Except for Fall when I lost all but one patch of crops, the outcomes weren't bad, especially in the villager compartment.

Now, for the interesting part. The Cryptic Necrofrozen Morbid and Inverted Winter Madness.

UO0653.jpg

Cow pen clean-up.

UO0654.jpg

Damn, I've somehow managed to get helluva cash this time.

UO0655.jpg

So I put it into good use and hire four damn archers to protect the damn village.

UO0656.jpg

And planted a spike trap for the fuck of it at the northernmost house. Wanted to wall it in, but then I realised you can't build walls on the road, so I decided to screw.dat.

UO0657.jpg

MAKE HASTE! VALHALLA AWAITS!

UO0658.jpg

INTRUDER ALERT
RED SPY IS IN THE BASE

UO0659.jpg

Time to head off and defend the north house.

UO0660.jpg

UO0661.jpg

UO0662.jpg

Right, the situation is moderately safe, let's head southward.

UO0663.jpg

Just in time to save a peasant. Let's head back north to check things out.

UO0664.jpg

Yeah, just in time again. Faggots cleverly evaded my trap :x

UO0665.jpg

Archer_04 gets a promotion for saving Archer_01 from stomach acids.

UO0666.jpg

One shithead thought he'll hide among the trees and stay safe. Well, THINK AGAIN

UO0667.jpg

ODIN!! HERE I COME!!!!

UO0668.jpg

It's very good that they came in two groups this time. It makes our chances of survival rise A LOT. Given the fact that they are more or less mobbing, I proceeded to thwack the hell out of them with my spinning attacks of death.

UO0669.jpg

Btw spinning.

UO0670.jpg

TAKE THAT, YOU FILTHY RAT.

UO0671.jpg

Another down. Moar daze. The third one is occupied with eating peasants.

UO0672.jpg

BANG! Now for the other three.

UO0673.jpg

Hmmm, I do believe there used to be an archer in this particular place.

UO0674.jpg

Yup, there also used to be another archer in that intersection with two tanks.

UO0675.jpg

uh... PREPARE FOR IMPACT!!!!

UO0676.jpg

Right... we're halfdone with the panzer battalion, let's not screw it up by dying, shall we?

UO0677.jpg

Time to gut the bastards.

UO0678.jpg

haHA!

UO0679.jpg

UO0680.jpg

DIE, DIE, DIE AHAHAHHA. Now for the last one.

UO0681.jpg

I don't wanna take any chances.

UO0682.jpg

ACHTUNG, ACHTUNG HERMAN. PREPARE ZE TORPEDO BAYS FOR A MASSIVE BARRAGE.

UO0683.jpg

FEUER!!! TORPEDO LOS!!!

Hmmm, I don't zink zhis worked zhat much, herr oberleutnant.

UO0684.jpg

RELOAD ZE TORPEDO BAYS, PREPARE ANOTHER SALVO.

UO0685.jpg

SEND ZHEM TO ZE DEPTHS OF ZE SEA!!!

UO0686.jpg

NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!! ZE TORPEDO MISSED ZE TARGET

UO0687.jpg

Fortunately, we still have ze deck guns.

UO0688.jpg

Victory! Not without losses either, but at this point, I don't care. What's important is that we leave this hellhole.

UO0689.jpg

UO0690.jpg

Hurr.

UO0691.jpg

UO0692.jpg

UO0693.jpg

UO0694.jpg

UO0695.jpg

UO0696.jpg

UO0697.jpg

UO0698.jpg

UO0699.jpg

UO0700.jpg

UO0701.jpg

UO0702.jpg

UO0703.jpg

UO0704.jpg

UO0705.jpg

UO0706.jpg

UO0707.jpg

UO0708.jpg

UO0709.jpg

UO0710.jpg

UO0711.jpg

UO0712.jpg

UO0713.jpg

UO0714.jpg

UO0715.jpg

Right. Shoppe. Now, we can buy stuff, the same as last time (rock of healing, flame thrower, ----->knight contract<-----, ring of teleportation).

Should something be bought? Decisions, decisions...

Until the next time, ladies and gentlemen!

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
flame thrower sounds useful. Do pick up the knight too.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
RK47 said:
flame thrower sounds useful.

I remember I bought it on one playthrough before, and while it's very effective against tanks, it also sucks a lot of cash, I think.

fractal

Novice
UO0704.jpg

UO0705.jpg

UO0688.jpg

:lol:

Knights are essential for the next area, but I managed to get through without the ring and took only light losses. I did rely mostly on crops as income, cows were only stationed near knights to pay for their upkeep and lure hordlings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom