Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Oblivion

NiM82

Prophet
elander_ said:
Anyway both Morrowind and Oblivion suffer from ridiculous small dungeons and complete lack of interesting or interactive dialog, not to mention npc reactions, that break immersion completely, unless a person finds immersive to bump at a fucking mini-dungeon at every corner of the road.

If someone would made a mod to pack those hundreds of useless mini-dungeons into citadels and big underground areas - similar to Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis - populated with underground societies and with the possibility to talk to people there and do quests, then it could be worth.

There is a mod that adds an entire underworld to Morrowind iirc. There's some others I can't remember too incl an ultima underworld clone.

Klaz

Scholar
elander_ said:
complete lack of interesting or interactive dialog, not to mention npc reactions,

I think that the problem with NPC interaction has been almost completely resolved in the Morrowind mods, there's the ''Less Generic...'' saga, the schedules mod... heck, I can even give quests to other NPC's, thanks to the ''Vampire Embrace'', ''Give your Orders'', ''Request'' and the ''Services of...'' mods.

Many quest and companion mods introduce likeable characters, too.

NiM82

Prophet
There's even a fishing mod, complete with aquarium and a mini dwarven submarine.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Oh come on you fucking bastards, "oh a couple of mods and this game sounds like bloody fun".. I played it the first time with OOO and some other mods and it fucking sucked like hell.. So fucking boring.. No matter how much you must strafe to avoid getting hit by that fucking kajit highwayman it doesn´t get fun.. Dialogs=boring, fights=boring, expoooring=boooring, everything is fucking boring.. it feels like you´re sitting infront of your computer and doing exactly nothing, and to anyone who thinks different: fuck u, ur buring!!!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
don_tomaso said:
Oh come on you fucking bastards, "oh a couple of mods and this game sounds like bloody fun".. I played it the first time with OOO and some other mods and it fucking sucked like hell.. So fucking boring.. No matter how much you must strafe to avoid getting hit by that fucking kajit highwayman it doesn´t get fun.. Dialogs=boring, fights=boring, expoooring=boooring, everything is fucking boring.. it feels like you´re sitting infront of your computer and doing exactly nothing, and to anyone who thinks different: fuck u, ur buring!!!

No, fuck you. OOO is a good action game, period.

Astromarine

Erudite
Last couple days have been both awesome and frustrating as fuck. First of all, I decided that the heir to the throne could stand a couple more days of praying, once I saw where Kvatch is on the map. Bloody hell, that's a long walk. I want a horse, and some better gear, so I'm paying a visit to that fort where I kicked some ass yesterday.

Everything goes well at first. I kill 4 or 5 goblins at once, then meet a nastier, red, kind of gobbo: Fallen Ones (modder liked Diablo, what can I say? :D), including a boss:

ScreenShot21.jpg

He was really hard, especially becauseI can too encumbered (fatigue mod caps your max fatigue depending on how much weight you have, instead of walking around fine then suddenly picking some crap up and stopping movement totally) and without enough potions.

Still, the chest he was guarding had a nice surprise:

ScreenShot22.jpg

Really nice silver sword. Unfortunately, that was the end of the good news. I kept exploring the cave, but a bit ahead I found a corridor with around 2 Fallen Ones, 2 FO Shamen, and 2 normal gobbos. Problem is that the Shamen are *hardcore* and summon even worse headless zombies.

ScreenShot23.jpg

I try to do something about them, but it's just impossible. I decide to get the fuck out of there, but they follow me. I burn my last potion of Restore Fatigue to just hightail to the main entrance. I manage, but I know they're still after me, so I just keep running until exhaustion, slowing down only to recoup a bit, right until the little inn before the Imperial City. I spend a couple hours there calming down, eating, and resting, then decide to get a little more gold by fishing a bit for some poor sod that got injured. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

ScreenShot24.jpg

Answer is "too hard". The fucking fish try their hardest to eat my balls, and I can't survive for shit under water. I say "fuck this nature shit" and hightail back to the comfort of the city. I sell whatever loot I could get, then decide to make a bit more money by fixing some local merchants' problem. They're concerned one guy's undercutting most of them way too much for him to be legit. I follow some little bugger around for a couple hours, listen in on his meeting with his supplier, and then follow HIM to his house.

ScreenShot17.jpg

I'll have to break into the house. not what I signed up for, but what the hell, maybe it'll be fun. I hear crime is an aquired taste. Unfortunately, I'm *really* low on lockpicks.

ScreenShot19.jpg

I manage to get in, and search around the place. Nothing upstairs, but the basement is a doozy. Skulls and bones everywhere, a crapload of assorted clothes all over the room. What the hell kind of thieving op does this guy run?

ScreenShot20.jpg

Oh. Apparently, it's not so much thieving as "robbing". Graves, by the looks of it. Gah. This will be messy. I just hope the fucker's not a necromancer, I've had my fill of zombies for a while.

Astromarine

Erudite
and that's it for today. One thing people can't really judge from the thread is that one consequence of the mods I have is that making money is *hard*. I have to buy food, prices are low, most merchants kick my ass at it, and I'm just now starting to get good at speechcraft. So at the moment at least the game is being really fun, mostly because it's a resource game ATM. I suck at fighting, so I had to stop the main quest while I get a bit better. I'm focussing on Alchemy (paid through the nose for a full set of alch tools) because I need good potions to survive, and there aren't enough around. And now I need to go to the nearest city (probably Skingrad, as I also have an Alchemy quest there) and get into the mages' guild. I need better spells, mine now are pathetic except for the Nightsky. So I dunno how long the fun's gonna last, but I'm already muuuuch further ahead than where I stopped the first time I tried.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Damn, you really need the 'clear water' mod. Oblivion's water lighting is pathetic.

MetalCraze

Arcane
that's not lighting. beth just covered everything with thick fog and put you into a low gravitation field - and blam - you have the water. because apparently that's how water looks according to 2006 standards. fuckers even can't do the graphics normally.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Well i am glad you are enjoying the modded Oblivion, and i enjoy reading it.
But you won't get me doing the whole download the mods to fix it bit, i did that for morrowind and once is enough :) all i needed for morrowind was the eliminate cliff racer mod, balance spell caster mod, better head/bodies and some of the better quest addon mods.
Oblivion requires a whole overhaul which is something i don't feel like going through.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Sounds good. I vaguely enjoyed the combat and exploration in Oblivion. If you can accept that the dialogue is shite (and it sounds like you have :P) and if you've modded the fuck out of the levelling, then it should be a reasonably entertaining game.

I haven't even tried Oblivion without mods, but there was still nothing of interest in there. I had something that removed level scaling, psychic guards, quest compass, fast travel and so on + a lot of .ini file tweaking. Many mods I uninstalled swiftly as they made things just worse.

Make a mod for it that turns it into a Super Mario game for all I care, I won't touch Bethesda's rubbish again.

Lemunde

Scholar
Imbecile said:
Sounds good. I vaguely enjoyed the combat and exploration in Oblivion. If you can accept that the dialogue is shite (and it sounds like you have :P) and if you've modded the fuck out of the levelling, then it should be a reasonably entertaining game.

I admit I've been playing the game off and on since it was released. I also admit it requires heavy modding just to get rid of the annoyances. I even got so fed up with the leveling system that I made a mod that got rid of it altogether. Started at level 26 and had to rely on expensive trainers and expensive potions to build my character up. It's a fun dungeon crawl if you take out level scaling.

At this point I don't even consider it Beth's game. The modding community has put in ten times the effort of balancing and enhancing the experience that the developers have.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I consider any game that relies on any kind of mods to be playable a failure in my book. It should be good to go vanilla, at most patched by the makers themselves with fixes or some added content that doesn't change the basic gameplay mechanics.

Oblivion takes this dependency on mods to a whole new level. It basically requires you to download a whole new game (size wise) on mods to get it going somewhat enjoyable. And to make things worse, after all this modding it's still shit. Oblivion is broken beyond repair and no mod will make it good.

Just look at the lame physics system they brag so much about. Corpses when thrown into the air fall so slowly it feels like they are weightless. Projectiles travel too slowly. But none of these can match what they did with water. Since when a iron sword floats? Beh...

The only thing I enjoyed a very little bit with one of the mods was Deadly Reflexes, but it also has a lot of flaws, like simple townsfolk dodging arrows at point blank like in a Chinese kung fu movie. Soon after I found out about Dark Messiah, and although it's no RPG (well, Oblivion also isn't) it shits all over Oblivion combat wise. I've replayed this game more than I could remember simply because the combat kicks ass.

No matter how much you try to play Oblivion it will fail on you sooner or later, because no matter how much you try nothing that you accomplish on that game matters to anything else on the game world. So much for "immersion"...

Lingwe

Liturgist
The C&C and EQR sound awesome, but C&C requires Cobl, which I think is a bit too late to install now. I have no idea if it would interfere with the rest of the overhauls and such

Cobl is just an esm that contains a number of items and other stuff that you don't see (like globals and scripts). By itself it adds absolutely nothing to the game - it just defines the objects in the object window. It is kind of like if you installed a mod that created a whole bunch of new weapons and armour, but neglected to put them into the game.

It is completely safe to use with all of the other major mods and mod tools since it is just putting an extra esm into your data folder. And if you don't want to have any of the extra items ingame (mostly ingredients from Daggerfall/Morrowind, the lore books from Daggerfall/Morrowind, some useful alchemical sorters and grinders that turn useless bones into useful bonemeal) then you just don't install the glue esps.

I'd recommend my mod if you plan on doing any of the quests since it adds directions to most of them, they can be extremely difficult to complete without directions if you have disabled the quest arrow. Plus it removes the 'map marker added' part as well - a feature I call 'dumbing up'.

The link:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14560

I'd also advise you to not join the Fighters Guild as I'm currently working on a Blackwood Company faction mod. Since i'm putting a heavy focus on choices and consequences in it (although there is still some railroading), the quest design shits all over Bethesda's quests if I do say so myself. I hope to get it done by the end of May. Here's the work in progress thread for it http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry11715720

DoppelG

Scholar
I agree with the people finding Oblivion a bore, nomatter how modded (atleast for now). Still, you pretty much appreciate anything (from the modcommunity that is, not from Beth) after having played vanilla.
Enjoying this thread.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I hate this thread. It really makes me want to give it a try. And it would be nice to get some value out of the Collector's Edition I got for Christmas last year . . . :( But I know I'll find it even more disappointing than Morrowind was after spending literally a week researching and downloading mods.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hell, if there's a ONE mod to solve them all I'd give it another replay. But the list astro gave.. holy shit. I rather replay TOEE with Co8 installed or VtM:B wesp5's patch than endure a hundred mod downloads and installs (not counting the conflicts)

Astromarine

Erudite
Lingwe said:

Yeah, I ended up downloading your mods in the end, I'm playing with them. Good luck with the next one, won't affect me much since I don't think I'll be joining the FG with this character anyway.

Nael

Arcane
Do you have the Shivering Isles, Astromarine? That expansion is actually alot of fun if you're enjoying Oblivion with 100's of mods. There's actually *gasp* C&C, and the dialogue, while obviously a bit insane is much more interesting than vanilla Oblivion. Bethsoft actually got it somewhat right with SI, IMO.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, the SI expansion is vastly superior to vanilla Oblivion - to the point of being actually enjoyable without mods other than those fixing leveling system and bland combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom