Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I answered correctly? Maybe I am a communist after all? :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I answered correctly? Maybe I am a communist after all? :M
A sleeper agent. Soon, brother. Soon. :cool:

If you are wondering where did the updates go, I broke a leg last week. On a plus side, if you can call it that, I now have all the time in the world. On a minus side, it is not really easy to work on anything but a tablet with a leg held in mid-air.

I think that I can at least finish the mission update, since the screens have been taken long ago.

Mission 12. The highest measure.
In the last episode:
2015_11_16_000518.jpg

And so it continues.

Gorky is relocated to one of the combat tanks - sending in the bulldozer would be suicidal - and is given the privilege to signal the start of our final confrontation with the general.
2015_11_16_000608.jpg

Platonov.jpg
- Gorky, you treacherous scum! I will wipe every trace of you from the face of the Earth!
Gorky.jpg
- I am not a traitor, I only do this to ensure success of our mission! You are an obstacle, Platonov. You must leave of your own accord, or be removed.

The battle begins chaotically, with shells and rockets flying everywhere. Both sides are determined to fight to the last.
2015_11_16_000921.jpg

We have the technological advantage on our side, though, spamming the time-slowing and space-shifting grenades to create a local advantage. Even though we take a beating ourselves, the space-time techs are moving our damaged vehicles away from the frontlines, avoiding permanent casualties. It is a bit assymmetrical, with our tanks engaging their infantry and vice versa, but we make this match-up favor us.
2015_11_16_001214.jpg

The space-shifting missiles prove especially useful, as we can isolate their fighters, throwing them in the midst of our forces to be killed instantly.
2015_11_16_001307.jpg

The battle proceeds smoothly, and I am thinking of returning Gorky back to Masha and steamrolling everything like I used to, but then...
2015_11_16_001654.jpg

...they have to bring out the Behemoths!

Gladkov.jpg
- Saint Trofimov! It’s a moving fortress!
Platonov.jpg
- Burlak! The time has come to meet your maker! You will be crushed like a beetle under my treads!
Gorky.jpg
- Comrades! It’s just a tank. A big mother of a tank, I admit! But nothing we can’t handle. Come on!

Back to the heavy gun driver seat it is! At least it's just one unit. The problem is that it hides behind the turrets (or is unable to get out), and we'll have to come to it instead. Not even the space-altering rockets can dislodge this monstrosity.
2015_11_16_002223.jpg

There is a gatling turret, and the bastards tend to snipe my scientists whenever they get the chance, so I have to keep my infantry at a distance to avoid loss of life. The tanks will have to deal with this one, but they are getting pretty beaten up.
2015_11_16_002439.jpg

Or they can get rid of the gatling turret and let the bazookas creep inside the base like the unstoppable wave of destruction they are.
2015_11_16_002732.jpg

GO, MASHA! Show them what happens to those who oppose us!
2015_11_16_003058.jpg

Even so, they are defiant to the end, refusing to acknowledge the inevitable.
2015_11_16_003247.jpg

Very well, then. It seems there is only one way to end this - to go after the base heart!
2015_11_16_003524.jpg

A resounding success!
2015_11_16_003550.jpg

Wait, is it..?
2015_11_16_003614.jpg

It is! Good evening, general! Everyone retreat, this fight is mine and mine alone!

The funny thing about Platonov, is that he is not marked as 'hostile', and has to be targeted manually. May have something to do with his base surrendering to our side.

The second funny thing is that he ignores Gorky or any of my tanks, and goes after his former comrades who have joined our cause. His rage must be potent, indeed.

The third thing, which is somewhat less funny, is that it is impossible for a bulldozer to attack someone who is on the move. Stand still, will you! :argh:
2015_11_16_003803.jpg

Alright, so I have my engineer repair the depot and hide him together with a fellow mechanic (that's everyone who survived through our very thorough assault on the base) from their vengeful boss. Now the general is bound to notice his senpai nemesis, right?

Nope!
2015_11_16_004138.jpg

He goes after bazookas and scientists instead. It is not hard to stall him with a few well-placed time-decelerator charges, but you have to admire his tenacity in the face of overwhelming odds! He still thinks he has the chance.

It is much more hard to cage a single soldier than it was to catch Gossudarov's truck - but we have a lot of spare metal to build him a mobile prison. He is caught, sentenced, and executed by a bulldozer.
2015_11_16_005320.jpg

And shot in the head about 20 times, just to make sure. :M
2015_11_16_005506.jpg

Our cheers may be short-lived, as we stumble upon a piece of intel that is fairly disconcerting.
2015_11_16_005537.jpg

It seems we are on our own here. No reinforcements are forthcoming.

But do not let this news diminish our triumph!
2015_11_16_005546.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Now that we have the support of our own troops, we can concentrate on fighting the enemy!
Gladkov.jpg
- Congratulations, Burlak! This was a great achievement.
Gorky.jpg
- Not for me, for all of us. I have learnt from this campaign that words can be as powerful as tanks!
But bulldozers are still more powerful than words. :salute:
Gorky.jpg
- We need a capable administrator who will take care of day-to-day running of the army. I'm prepared to conduct the military operations. But for now we have to go to winter quarters anyway.

Winter is coming, and with it, an uneasy truce. The last chapter of the epic saga will have to be postponed until the next year.

Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_16_005609.jpg

+ All bases captured.
+ Scientists stopped.
- Some bases could have been taken without fighting.

I have no idea why I didn't get the medal. If I had to guess, it has something to do with Yakir's base. It is not easy to stop a rampaging bulldozer in its tracks, and it may have counted as an attack on a base that has already surrendered.

The intermission screen. That's a lot of experience to get for a bunch of rookies we took under our wing.
2015_11_16_005709.jpg
Next time (whenever that is) we will try to locate the Motherlode in an attempt to put an end to this 'dispute' of who is the true owner of the priceless resourse that is going to determinte the fate of humanity. As if there ever were any doubts, comrades! :salute:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Ouch, that sounds painful. Worry not, bro, the Codex will gladly wait until you feel better to read the final updates. Also, :incline: for breaking the game yet again.

Nevill

Arcane
This mission is more complex and interesting than it lets on.

You might have noticed that Platonov's base has a Teleporter building inside. And its not just for show. If you didn't secure any of the bases before the final attack, the general will flee to it once he thinks he is losing, assuming command over their soldiers and prolonging the fight. And he prefers bases with Teleporters, too - in case you didn't learn your lesson the first time around.

Here is a video where a player tries to rely on overwhelming tank numbers and runs into that trick. It is quite a bit more bloody, and requires several approaches to succeed.

His second assault is at 22:50, and the third one at 24:50, after which Platonov escapes. Not for long, though.

And here is another way to do the mission from a Czech player.

Takes a bare minimum with him, builds a strategically located barracks to intercept Platonov's army en route, lures the Behemoth out, and then sneaks three tanks to take the base from the inside - destroying the Teleporter first, of course. Three men is all it really takes to do the job.

Going straight after Platonov with 4 men, as the game trollishly suggests, would probably be possible if one of them were an engineer. That's what I love about it. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for a new 'Break the Game' edition!

But first, I wanted to preface the update with a video of two guys doing the mission independently (we get to watch one of them; the other we only hear from) and failing horribly at it.

Watch 5:40 to see what they are dealing with. 6:55 from the other guy is also telling. At 7:20 they both agree that the game is fucking with them and that the developers trolled them by giving them the wrong advice. At 10 minutes they both write this off as impossible.

Just an excerpt:
- (to Gorky) Get back in your car! (to the other guy) Let's see what I've taken down.
*checks the base, not a single structure is even burning*
- No, I was missing.
*the whole base comes out to meet him, finds his 3 soldiers and engages them*
- Ok, they have five soldiers! They have... five... level 10 soldiers, basically. My three supporting guys died, I'm going to have to restart.
(the other guy) - I've managed to draw one vehicle out of their base... and they sent two more!

(11:27 is when the guy discovers the quiz, 14:43 is the other guy discovering it. Quite hilarious.)

Anyway. Mission impossible? That's how I like them. We are going to be heroes. We are going to go straight for Platonov. Three soldiers and a tank. Wish me luck. :salute:

The only concession I am willing to make is that Masha is going to be a heavy rocket launcher vehicle. This is how things are in a save from my old campaign, where I have played without reloads and got Gleb killed in the process. An accident. Really. I miss the guy.

That's the only save available on my laptop, anyway - I don't currently have access to the files that I left on the PC.

Mission 12. THE MAXIMUM FUCK WAY IS THE ONLY WAY.
Okay, first let's check out what happens if we do it without thinkinjg.
2015_11_21_215206.jpg

Predictable, really.

So let's start off small. There are a few trees on a nearby hill. We can't reach the turret from behind them, but we can target an area slightly before it. The rockets aren't very precise (meaning some 'misses' are in fact hits), and they are doing a little bit of collateral damage with each explosion, so after a while it goes down.
2015_11_21_215120.jpg

We can try to whittle away the hulls of automatic vehicles, the important thing is not to let the Behemoth close. Rockets are something we can deal with, but the rest of the enemy arsenal is too much, even for Masha.
2015_11_21_215630.jpg

The real reason we engage them, though, is to provide a suitable juicy target for base defenders. Some of them are eager to leave its safety for what they see as an easy job... right to where my soldiers are. 1:0 in Gorky's favor! The computer crap doesn't stand a chance.
2015_11_21_215645.jpg

But this tactics does not always allow to pick off straglers - sooner or later they will catch on to your tricks and send in the vehicles en masse.
2015_11_21_215937.jpg

We have to retreat - we can not engage that many. It looks like our little offensive has failed... OR HAS IT?
2015_11_21_220507.jpg

Or maybe, just maybe, it was all a part of an elaborate plan to lure the Behemoth away from all the heavy gun turrets. Here it comes, slowly crawling to where my Masha used to be centuries ago.
2015_11_21_220637.jpg

Some of their older vehicles are manually crewed, and their drivers are terrible. Probably because they are soldiers stuffed into vehicles. Platonov clearly adheres to Powell's school of command. But it is dangerous to linger here any longer. We need to go back...
2015_11_21_220812.jpg

...to their base. GUESS WHO HAS THE HIGH GROUND NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS!
2015_11_21_220946.jpg

It is an important position, not only because it enhances our range, but the limited teleportation Platonov has researched now teleports his damaged vehicles away from his own base, perceiving us as a danger. Meaning that the soldiers inside don't get a free pass. By targeting ground right in front of them, we can quickly reduce their health and kill them before they flee back to the armory.
2015_11_21_221136.jpg

We should not get carried away too much, though. Below us, there is still a massive force to be reckoned with.
2015_11_21_221347.jpg

Thankfully, the trees hide us from their sight when we do the repairs. :troll:
2015_11_21_221539.jpg

Our main targets are the crewed vehicles and the Behemoth. Good thing it is slow enough for us to maintain a good distance at all times - and it gives its location away when firing, ensuring that we never lose contact unless we want to. Burn, baby, BURN!
2015_11_21_221616.jpg

The vehicles below are all taken care of, but the base is producing new ones! I am starting to lose heart a bit. Still, they aren't mobile fortresses. If we took down that, we can take down anything.
2015_11_21_222400.jpg

Gorky's promotion to marshal will be a well-deserved one. He has taken out about 7 vehicles and a whole fortress single-handedly, with no additional support. I made sure to keet my soldiers well away from this madness until things calm down a bit.

At about the usual time, the scientists leave the Bluekher base...
2015_11_21_222525.jpg

...with about the usual result.
2015_11_21_222725.jpg

When I engage the rest of my pursuers from below, I have to also be wary of the fresh reinforcements. As they are all heavy gun tanks, that's a job better suited for my soldiers.
2015_11_21_223249.jpg

We barely make it by the skin of our teeth... and then the general decides to send in the new ones, fresh from the factory!
2015_11_21_223649.jpg

And when we repel those, yet new ones! Now with gatling guns, to deter my soldiers and make my life hell. And we are only half-repaired from the last attempt!
2015_11_21_224050.jpg

Wait, gatling guns? Are they finally starting to run out of resourses?!

Looks that way! When I come closer to their base and start picking the turrets off from afar, only their infantry responds.
2015_11_21_224327.jpg

Those we can handle, if we are careful - engaging with them when we are at a numerical advantage...
2015_11_21_224509.jpg

...and disengaging when things get hot. The important thing is to get them into yellow or red - to prevent natural healing, or just straight up kill them. Don't let the low numbers on the screen fool you - there are 8 of these guys out there, and they are pretty skilled. Chances are, if you see all eight of them at once, you won't be able to get back alive.
2015_11_21_224528.jpg

As it is, though, we pick and choose our battles until we feel confident enough to force a confrontation of our own.
2015_11_21_224752.jpg

Which ends in their total wipeout.
2015_11_21_225217.jpg

What is left is to walk into a practically undefended base. The armory and half of the turrets are silent, but the other half is automated, so they aren't completely out of it yet...
2015_11_21_230210.jpg

...unless we go for the depot, of course!
2015_11_21_225757.jpg

Our guys are all damaged, so Platonov instantly downs one the moment he appears out of the depot.
2015_11_21_230539.jpg

But he quickly grasps the situation and runs for the Teleporter instead of finishing my guys off. Meanwhile, the soldier is nursed back to health.
2015_11_21_225937.jpg

Uh, general? I have set the Teleport on fire beforehand just for this occasion. It's not functional. Game over, man.

Here's where the game script that broke in my last game fixes itself, and Platonov finally turns hostile. Not the best timing sense, pal! :M

What an irony, to be hoisted by his own automatic turrets. :lol:
2015_11_21_225956.jpg

What the..? I still don't get the medal!? :x:x:x
2015_11_21_230917.jpg
So, who here is going to beat my record and do the same with a bulldozer? :troll:

44 minutes : 45 seconds said:
- What are you doing, Gorky, you fucking dick?
- What is he doing?
- I tell him to go to Yegorov - the bottom left - from the bottom right. He goes via Green (*Yakir base, taken over by Platonov by then*). I tell him to turn around, he tells me to go fuck myself and then gets killed.
- That's very Gorky!
:salute:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So, you are the one to do it, comrade? With a bulldozer, and without fighting Platonov's base (as it is the only one I fought)? Alright, then! :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Okay. I found some time to do another mission. Here goes.

Mission 13. Interlude.
2015_11_23_191845.jpg

V. K. Bluekher base; April 4, 3 NR
After the uneasy truce of winter, Burlak must return with his troops to the battlefield to destroy the enemies of the Red Army.

Instead of Trotsky, we now use the former Platonov's base as our headquarters. It's fair. You kill it, you bought it. :M

We discuss the current state of affairs with Dr. Bystrov. It's a Russian version of Hugh Stevens - except this one is less stuck up.
2015_11_23_191855.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- What are these lines on the map?
Bystrov.jpg
- They note the Alaskite deposits. You see, the concentration increases when we go in this direction.
Gorky.jpg
- There is a greater reserve in this area?
Bystrov.jpg
- We have been assessing this all winter comrade commander. We think you are right, but this is deposit is not just larger, it is massive. We call it "The Motherlode".
Gorky.jpg
- This is what we came here for Bystrov. I should have been informed sooner! Where is the location?

There is a long pause before the doctor answers. Long enough that I suspect it is a bug, and not a feature. :M
2015_11_23_191929.jpg

Bystrov.jpg
- We did not make report yet because we are not sure of the reference. We could find it using data from other nation's mines....
Gorky.jpg
- Then we must attack them!
Typical Burlak. :cool:
Bystrov.jpg
- It does seem there is another way, comrade major. Our research into the Artefact has shown that it can indicate the direction toward the Motherlode. So if we have several such observations…
Gorky.jpg
- …where the lines intersect is the location!
Bystrov.jpg
- Precisely, comrade major. And the farther apart these observations are, the more accurate the result will be.
Gorky.jpg
- Show me the best locations for obtaining data and we’ll get it for you.

We now have to choose a team. Up to 6 characters, one of them an engineer. Clearly, the others need to be bazookas! It is simply a superior choice! :salute:
2015_11_23_191956.jpg

Ah, what the hell, game! Just two? Why such an arbitrary limit? Afraid I'll break you if I take more?
2015_11_23_145731.jpg

FINE! Two it is. Even Petrovova alone would be enough. Wait, where is this arrow pointing?
2015_11_23_145807.jpg

North from V. K. Bluekher base; April 5, 3 NR
Burlak is about to penetrate deep into enemy territory in order to gather information necessary to locate the motherlode - the primary deposit of alaskite.

OHSHI~!

Mission 13. Triangulation.
Deep penetration is what the Russian campaign specializes at. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time.
2015_11_23_145815.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- This is deep in US territory, Bystrov, how much farther do you want us to go?
Bystrov.jpg
- First we take the Artefact as far North as possible, and then the same to the East. There we take the measurements. The farther we go, the better the measurements will be. But we shall need labs equipped for space-time research at these locations.
Gorky.jpg
- Let’s get going then.

Let's. We have two cargo vehicles. One has oil, the other has the artefact. Hmph, I'd prefer some crates.

Primary objectives received:
- Take the Artefact North, build a space-time lab and use the Artefact to locate the Motherlode.
- Take the Artefact East, build a space-time lab and use the Artefact to locate the Motherlode.

Here is the hint for the mission, as well as some information about our current location relative to the map.
2015_11_23_150006.jpg

Math check: fail

Why do we need two measurements? Clearly, we can substitute them with a single one if we go straight to the north-eastern corner and build the lab there! Onwards!
2015_11_23_150231.jpg

Ooh, an American installation! I have made Gorky an engineer, and the rest of us soldiers and scientists, so there is no one to repair Masha if we need to. Thus the infantry takes the lead, and Burlak assists them on foot from the sidelines.

Together, we are unstoppable! Especially against poorly upgraded automated turrets.
2015_11_23_150315.jpg

There is an engineer inside the depot, so we have to set it on fire before we can capture it.
2015_11_23_150432.jpg

Fun fact - you know by now that engineers can dismantle buildings, but did you know that it does not matter who the buildings belong to? A bunch of engineers can destroy a base quicker than an army of tanks. Considering how, say, laser turrets don't do much against infantry, and rocket launchers can't fire up close, they might be a viable choice to assault some specific base configurations. But right now, Gorky just lends a helping hand.

We leave Gorky to repair a fee turrets and march on. There are several lone American soldiers patrolling the area. They are supposed to make searching for crates harder for us. Too bad we need no crates!
2015_11_23_150747.jpg

These patrols are a bit ridiculous. They pay absolutely no mind to Gorky running around their former base fixing stuff and trying to bring the turrets back online. Is it an American installation? Da? Move along, then, nothing to see here!
2015_11_23_150838.jpg

Some more patrols later (thankfully, even less proficient than the previous ones), we find a nice hill to park Masha on. Hopefully we can leave her there and no one will dare to take her away. The Artefact is parked nearby.
2015_11_23_151003.jpg

What the!? The north-eastern spot is already taken! This will not stand!
2015_11_23_151254.jpg

This is our first serious battle. The enemy levels are randomized, and this time they got a level 9 sniper behind a lot of turrets, while I only have infantry. The sniper rifle hurts. My bazookas are level 8 to 9, and it takes 3 shots to down them. The doctors are obviously a no go. The sniper has a great range advantage, not to mention the higher ground. And if we go after the turrets, they have engineers on hand to repair them. If we retreat to heal, they repair and heal all damage, too.

Still, after some excessive microing, I manage to lure the sniper closer, distract her with my own soldiers, have them shoot the two engineers, and bring my bazookas up close to fire at the sniper's location (because I don't see her when she isn't shooting at my guys). All of that in sight of a number of enemy turrets. This is tough.
2015_11_23_152324.jpg

It gets progressively easier afterwards, when I move my two bazookas and take out one turret at a time. Easier still when I realize that 'attack ground' does not reveal my location to the enemy as opposed to directly attacking them. However, the Yanks aren't going to sit and watch their base getting demolished.
2015_11_23_152541.jpg

Thankfully, this sniper is laughable compared to the last one, but the soldiers on the high ground are a nuisance, not only because they are hard to get to, but also because they grant vision to the turrets which often can shoot farther than they can see.

Bazookas are a godsent when dealing with higher ground threats. Just bring them closer and see them rip everything apart. They can take a beating better than the regular soldiers could, too.
2015_11_23_153117.jpg

After a number of enemy corpses and even a greater number of smoking turret remains, I am starting to see some vehicles coursing around. They can't get to me yet, but the Americans keep their production going, and the newly built rocket launchers definitely have the range. I could destroy the factory, but I have other plans.
2015_11_23_153301.jpg

More soldiers and a gatling gun tank. Would be dangerous, if it weren't a lowly grade computer. Two shots from a bazooka, and it's just a load of junk.
2015_11_23_153327.jpg

It might sound easy, but it is everything but. A single unit on a high ground requires work to lure it closer to bazooka range, and all that while I am shot at from all directions.
2015_11_23_153433.jpg

When they finally fall, I am hurting all over. The scientists are the worst - they need to be nearby to save my men from certain death, but they are not very durable themselves. They often have to spend their time healing each other while trying to run out of the enemy sight.
2015_11_23_155251.jpg

But one by one, I clear the fortifications and come out on an open space with a road. That's where their vehicles come into play.
2015_11_23_155713.jpg

And they love their vehicles, so there is a lot of those. That's a double-laser one, BTW.
2015_11_23_155809.jpg

Fuck, they got me! I blew one of their double lasers, but another one snuck up on me from behind and caught me between a double-laser turret and itself. The resulting beam almost fries my soldier up. DANGER!
2015_11_23_155906.jpg

Whew. Danger passes. Bazookas save the day once again.
2015_11_23_160021.jpg

There is still a lot of defenses to go through, but I am quite sick of doing the same thing for the last 10 minutes. IT'S GORKY TIME! CHAAAAARGE!!!!!!
2015_11_23_160220.jpg

Naturally, we are getting beaten pretty badly here. Double-laser turrets are the worst offenders. However, I only need Gorky to get past them. So I soak up the superbeam with the armored bazookas before running Burlak through... right into a gatling vehicle.
2015_11_23_160605.jpg

Did I mention how bazookas are awesome?
2015_11_23_160635.jpg

What was yours, is now mine! So much for the Maginot line! :P
2015_11_23_162056.jpg

Wait, what is this vehicle up north? Why does it not attack us? And who is the driver?
2015_11_23_231154.jpg

:hmmm:

I get a vague feeling I am not supposed to be here. Again. :M
The bazookas break the game on so many levels. They are adorable. :hug:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Considering you must still be recovering from that broken leg, your obsession dedication to do this lp is terryfing awe-inspiring. And even then you keep breaking the game over and over :lol: You know, you should try that Arab campaign mod you mentioned, perhaps the modders are better programmers than the original devs. :M

Nevill

Arcane
In the last episode.
Those are some crappy stats. :M

And so it continues.

Mission 13. A man of his word.
We will leave him be for a while. It's not like he is going anywhere. We should concentrate more on other survivors, like those engineers who strut around our base trying to fix the vehicles we broke.
2015_11_23_162414.jpg

Note the computer-controlled cargo vehicle she is repairing, it will become relevant soon.

And when we shoot at them enough, the AI will send a medic to heal them. Perfect.
2015_11_23_162649.jpg

However, after some time they refuse to leave and prefer to sit in their de-powered buildings instead. We have to force them out.
2015_11_23_162817.jpg

Engineers are perfect for that. They dismantle a building, bringing it into red hitpoints within seconds; let the inhabitants run out of a burning building; shoot them; and then repair the building back at full health after capturing it. Simple and efficient.
2015_11_23_172637.jpg

For some reason, the American high-tech turrets can't be captured, but they can be dismantled. It's probably because they are pre-placed on this map in a way that makes their entry point inaccessible.
2015_11_23_162901.jpg

Anyway, back to our original goal. We are supposed to put one lab to the east, and one to the north. What happens when we place one in north-east? How does the game handle that?
2015_11_23_173719.jpg

It doesn't. :lol: You are not supposed to be in this base, period.

After building a lab, we receive a broadcast from Dmitry Gladkov.
2015_11_23_174221.jpg

Gladkov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky, we’ve intercepted an American transmission. It seems one of their best commanders, John Macmillan, has defected to the Alliance. On his way he will pass through your territory.
I have updated the definition of my territory, so he already did.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Thank you, comrade. I have a score to settle with him.
Gnievko.jpg
- Macmillan is a smart bastard. We’ll be lucky to kill him.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- Macmillan? He is no fool. I don't think we can catch him.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- Macmillan? I’ll kill the bastard with my bare hands, if I have to.
No, Natasha. He is mine, and mine alone. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Secondary objectives received:
- Intercept and kill colonel John Macmillan.

No luck, comrade Gnyevko. Pure skill.
2015_11_23_174338.jpg

Normally, he is supposed to move out of the base and go via the south-western road past the American base we captured earlier. Too bad he is dead before he can even start a car. I squash him under my threads like a beetle, while the others pose for a picture. For Vsevolod, for Vengeance, for Victory!!!
2015_11_23_174911.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- I promised I would kill you, Macmillan. Now you know Burlak is a man of his word.
:salute::salute::salute:
Gnievko.jpg
- You killed Macmillan! I can’t believe it! You are a hero, comrade Burlak.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- We got John Macmillan! We can take him we can take them all!

I would not envy the Alliance right now. With just Roth to lead them, and without an Artefact, they are surely doomed to failure!

And look, his tank even has the red flag indicating the flagship vehicle. Henceforth, I name you Sasha! May you serve us better than you did your last owner.

Oh, and our guys make a neat discovery. I thought I might as well use the lab for research if I can't take measurements with it (I tried, hence the Artefact lying in front of it).
2015_11_23_181203.jpg

Gnievko.jpg
- Our work has been successful, comrade commander. We now have a device that can emit a large scale tau-field – it will slow down everything within it.
Gorky.jpg
- Including us!?
Gnievko.jpg
- No, we have built-in protection for us. It will only decelerate our enemies so we can destroy them at our leisure!

Sounds cool!

Secondary objectives received:
- Build at least one vehicle or turret equipped with a Time Lapser.

I move my guys out to build a lab in a location the game deems more suitable. Suddenly, the computer-controlled vehicle that lied dormant all this time activated and started moving. What can it possibly want?
2015_11_23_181347.jpg

WHAT!?
2015_11_23_181314.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Those Yankee bastards have stolen the Artefact! Get it back before they drive away!

And then it triumphantly snatches a piece of Alien tech and brings it to the depot. To my depot!
2015_11_23_181413.jpg

What Americans? How? THIS IS MY OWN BASE!!! :argh:

GAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!! :x:x:x

Ah, well. It does that sometimes. The challenge of this mission is building the labs close to the enemy base and protecting the Artefact from run-bys of computer cargo vehicles like this one. The bolder you get, the more precise is the data - but no one seriously expects you to capture their base. Frankly, I only managed it because I attacked while their computer research was in its infancy and I had my elites deal with poorly automated turrets and vehicles.

By the way, if you destroy the cargo vehicle, the factory nearby tries to produce another one on its own. It can't be cancelled (the work restarts shortly after), but it can be delayed it you don't assign mechanics to the building. The second factory tries to build automated combat vehicles - double lasers and the like. Funny thing is, I can't build them on my own. Only Americans can produce their advanced vehicles, because the vehicle can't be built without a correspionding technology, and some techs are nation-specific. Scripted AI, scripted AI never changes.

Alright, fine. Now that's out of the way, we can finally do what we came here to do, in peace. We just need to upgrade the lab, first.
2015_11_23_181851.jpg

Yes, PLEASE.
2015_11_23_182333.jpg

It's not that easy, though. Researching the Artefact requires a lot of energy, so we will need a few power plants running.

Meanwhile, I have Gorky construct another research base in the north. Right under the apathetic eyes of their patrol soldiers.
2015_11_23_182518.jpg

By the way, note that I use American building crane. Normally it can only build American buildings, however, I can use a Russian engineer to provide blueprints - after that, anyone can finish the construction.

Eventully, they are done in the eastern lab, though I had to make a few trips back and forth to provide enough oil for power stations.
2015_11_23_183840.jpg

Time to do the same in the northern one. And let's not forget about that time lapser vehicle.
2015_11_23_184509.jpg

It is pretty cheap, all things considered, but the thing is - you don't want just one of them.
2015_11_23_184537.jpg

Time lapser

The time lapser is a device that slows down time for all sides that do not have this technology. Their units in the time lapser field - marked by sparkling stars - will move slower, have a lower rate of fire, repair vehicles slower, etc.

Several time lapsers side by side will not make the field stronger, but bigger - the total area is always proportional to the number of time-lapsers.
So 4 time lapsers generate a field twice the radius of a single one.

And we are done! Hurray!
2015_11_23_185023.jpg

Primary objective received:
- Return to Bottom Left corner with the Artefact and all your men.

On the way back we run into an installation that the developers intended for us to serve as our base of operations for the mission.
2015_11_23_185223.jpg

I just park the lapser next to their depot - to affect all of its defenders - and let Sasha and Masha do the work. And the lapser survives, too!
2015_11_23_185351.jpg

A nifty little vehicle, if a bit hard to keep alive. I am not sure if the field size depends on driving skill - but if it doesn't, these cars definitely should always be automated.
2015_11_23_185435.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_23_190128.jpg

+ Macmillan was killed.
+ Accurate measurements.
+ Time Lapser developed.

The intermission screen.
2015_11_23_185950.jpg
Next episode, we will see to it that we are the first to occupy the Motherlode, now that its location is known to us. Then it is just a matter of time before the others submit to our superior firepower! :russia::russia::russia:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 14. Interlude.
2015_11_24_212210.jpg

V. K. Bluekher base; April 14, 3 NR
The primary deposit has been located. Burlak is awaiting intelligence from scouts despatched to the area. When the reports are received the race to the motherlode will begin.

These must be the scouts. We probably should give them something more useful than just cargo trucks. :|
2015_11_25_091413.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- What have you discovered, comrades?
2015_11_24_212231.jpg
- A large Arabian base to the west of the Motherlode. They call it New Samarkand. Seems pretty strong, we saw half a dozen sheikhs.
2015_11_24_212238.jpg
- We observed increased American activity in the North.
Gorky.jpg
- So, before we can take the site we need to secure the area. I'll take a group and do reconnaissance myself.

We can only take 5 men and Gorky. Again, we are limited to 2 bazookas. One engineer is mandatory.
2015_11_24_213108.jpg

I think by now you all know how I want to do this just by looking at the troop selection screen.

And with that, we are off.
2015_11_24_220126.jpg

Area of Primary deposit; April 15, 3 NR
The one who controls the Alaskite will rule the world - in the present and in future as well. Burlak has to get to the motherlode first. There is just one last obstacle.
'He who controls the spice controls the universe.'

Mission 14. Primary colours.
We start our mission in the north-western corner, with Masha and a few cargo trucks loaded with crates and oil. There is a gatling tank, but no Sasha. :(
2015_11_24_213123.jpg

Gnievko.jpg
- We are close now, comrade. The motherlode is situated behind the Arabian base to the East.
Gorky.jpg
- OK. Let's build our support base here.

Primary objectives received.
- Prepare an attack on the Arab base New Samarkand.

LOL, it said 'prepare'. :decline:

Burlak is a man of action, not a man of preparation. It served him well so far. Thus...

IT'S GORKY TIME! Grab&go! For victory!

I take everyone and start looking for this 'New Samarkand'. Soon after, Masha finds a mine in the forest. Ouch. That's 2/3 of my hull gone, and I have no mechanics. I must withdraw for now.
2015_11_24_220753.jpg

Seconds later, Petrovova finds another mine to the south. There goes my gatling tank. At least now we have a fairly good guess of where the base is.
2015_11_24_220916.jpg

Without further ado... ENGAGE!!
2015_11_24_221423.jpg

In hindsight, I probably should have waited for the second bazooka to arrive. Several soldiers (one of them a sheikh - never thought I'd see that), supported by rocket launchers are not good for my health. It gets pretty dicey. Thankfully, it is early enough that the Arabs don't know their combat stims, making them go down once they hit red hitpoints, just like us.
2015_11_24_221223.jpg

After the initial push, getting rid of outer cannons is a simple matter. Their occupants, though, prove a challenge, as they outlevel us. Gnyevko has to tank the worst of the damage all by himself while the bazookas work their splash damage magic.
2015_11_24_221623.jpg

We are inside! They are coming at us from all direction, but their efforts are poorly coordinated, unlike ours.
2015_11_24_221748.jpg

Still, they have a lot of manpower. By this points, the combat drug research is done, boosting the effectiveness of their infantry.
2015_11_24_222232.jpg

And their machete sheikhs can dish out some serious damage if they get close and personal. Poor Gnyevko. He is a fellow mechanic by trade, not a juggernaught like the rest of them, but he has to take it for the team. Can't let melee fighters close in on my bazookas - they simply won't be able to retaliate.
2015_11_24_222322.jpg

Gradually, step by step, we are going through the base, laying waste to everything we come across. The depot is in sight! In desperation, the Arabs throw the monkeys at us!
2015_11_24_222750.jpg

For some reason, those run to the lab, first, and only then emerge to attack us. Gnyevko, I believe in you! Distract them while we pound you with rocket fire, hoping to catch them in the blast! :salute:
2015_11_24_222851.jpg

They have vehicle support, huh? Cute. Also, more sheikhs. I think this one is the fourth we encounter.
2015_11_24_223038.jpg

And of course, in the best of the game tradirions, they are crewing the vehicles with soldiers who aren't worth shit as mechanics, making them less dangerous while in a car. Also, their medics are annoying, trying to heal them in the middle of the combat. But that allows me to have a shot at their scientists who would otherwise be hiding in the labs recearching stuff to kill us with, so I don't mind. I also have Gorky working on converting the base to our cause, to silence the turrets and prevent the Arabs from building more vehicles.
2015_11_24_223108.jpg

Right when we are done, we are getting a transmission back from our home.
2015_11_24_223159.jpg

Gladkov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Burlak, Americans are attacking us!
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Do you need us to return?
Gladkov_radio.jpg
- No, we can handle, but don’t look to us for reinforcements - we need all the men we’ve got.
Gorky.jpg
- Understood.

It's not like we needed them, anyway. :M

Primary objectives received.
- Destroy the New Samarkand base.

Aww, but I've just captured it. Can't I keep it? Please?

We continue our rampage through the unpowered base. Whoa! Looks like they have a big supply of self-propelled bombs and suicidal apes. We can't leave those alive.
2015_11_24_223614.jpg

We need to survive one final push by their vehicles. They have nothing else left to throw at us!
2015_11_24_223742.jpg

I believe this is how a victory looks like. :salute:
2015_11_24_223850.jpg

Faithful to my objectives, I dismantle New Samarkand. But I like the site, so I leave everything else standing while I go hunt the rest of the sheikhs.
2015_11_25_111329.jpg

Not that there is a lot of them left. That's the last one. Note Gorky in the bottom rebuilding the Russian depot in place of the Arabian one.
2015_11_25_111416.jpg

After the dust settles, we have a fair bit of spare resourses left. Might as well settle down and do some research.
2015_11_25_112451.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- You remember the vehicle Platonov tried to use? What do you think? Can we develop it here to use against the Arabs?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- It’s not a problem for Soviet scientists. We just need a weapon lab.

My engineer team is on the prowl! They are more dangerous to buildings then soldiers! And the best thing - they get double exp for dismantling them while they belong to the enemy, and repairing them once they belong to us!
2015_11_25_115440.jpg

A medic passes by our squad as if nothing happened. At first I thought she went out to help a soldier from the turret we've dismantled. A bit too late for that!
2015_11_25_115621.jpg

But then I realize she is heading for the woods to do some witchcraft. She is converting monkeys to Islam! :eek: Quick, save the poor innocent sods!
2015_11_25_115657.jpg

She also vacated a lab for us, which we gratefully take - even though it is useless to us yet, as we can't develop Arabian techs anyway. We need an advanced lab of our own. After doing some research in a relative quiet for about 3 minutes, I am contacted... by who do you think?
2015_11_25_122442.jpg

Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- (over radio) This is Heike Steyer, commander of Legion. Looks like we have a common enemy Burlak.
Heike, sweetie! Who let you out of the harem? If Platonov weren't dead already, I'd have his head for this! :argh:
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Everyone is our enemy here, including you.
Come back to us, darling! :hug: Don't mind Burlak, he is tsundere like that.
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- Listen to me, comrade. I have and offer to make. We have our own scores to settle with sheikhs at New Samarkand. We will help you destroy it. We have engineers and scientists, they can develop technologies, like mines. This would be useful I think. All we ask in return are resources.

What are we going to do, comrades? We don't really need their help, but we have resourses to spare (since we don't have to share the arriving crates with the Arabs anymore), and they might make use of the New Samarkand facilities that were left behind. Maybe even research Arab techs.
2015_11_25_122543.jpg

Depending on what we choose here, the mission can have two possible endings. So think this through, I guess.

Paths not taken:
In case you are wondering, if we freed Heike earlier, our conversation would have gone a bit smoother.
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- (over radio) This is Heike Steyer, commander of the Legion.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) What do you want, Steyer?
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- To help you. I will never forgive you for killing Omar, but I respect you as a commander. So, I am prepared to make you an offer.

And if we killed her - well, Robet "the Pig" Farmer would be the Legion's leader then. He is the one who kidnapped Gossudarov, if you remember.
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- (over radio) Hello, comrade, this is Robert Farmer from the Legion of Freelance Fighters. Seems you have a problem. No back up and a hell of a big base to attack.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Go screw yourself, Farmer.
I think this is a thing between Gorky and Arabs/mercs. Case in point:
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Go screw yourself, Genscher.
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- No need to be so rude, commander. We'd like to help you destroy New Samarkand. Our price is low and we do good work. Just speak to Yanks and Arabs for references!

The Legion's commander, Robert Farmer, is offering help. How much help depends on what you’re prepared to pay:
- 3 men – 60 crates, 15 crystals of Alaskite.
- 5 men – 90 crates, 25 crystals of Alaskite.
- 7 men – 120 crates, 30 crystals of Alaskite.
- Reject the offer.

As you can see, Steyer likes us more and has a special discount for us. Isn't that nice of her? :hug:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Give them 5 men-75 crates, yadda yadda yadda. The middle option basically. Then, kill them and steal recover the spent resources. That's the proper Russian way. :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
I am glad you have grasped the proper way to play the Russian campaign, comrade, but the Legion has leveled up since we first met them.

They will send cargo vehicles first. Empty cargo vehicles, to be precise. They will wait until we have the payment they require, then they will take it and be off. Only after that they will send in the mercs.

Hmmm, I'll see if it is possible to block them with my own trucks, and what happens if I do.

Edit: I've managed to trick the scripting once - I have requested 7 soldiers, and they have sent 2 trucks for the resourses (because those didn't fit into 1). I have let one pass, and blocked the other. They have sent me the mercs nonetheless.

I can't reproduce it, though. Whatever I do, they want to get both trucks back before they commit. Unless I decompile the map to look at the script, I won't be able to do any tricks here.

If I block the trucks, they turn hostile. The Legion will still uphold their obligations if we do not kill them and pay up in the end.

So we will have to play 'fairly' here. Either accept, or don't. I guess you can accept and kill 2 sand dindus in the cargo vehicles, but there is not a lot of profit in that.

Edit2: The Legion has a base in the region, though. I guess we could hire their mercs and then assault it, thus 'recovering' the resourses. That still requires us to hire 'help' first.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
December is alert Legion month. Just quote, brofist, write on his profile or simply type Legion in any post you make to contribute!
:hmmm::philosoraptor:

Naah. Probably a dick move.

2 votes for 5 men, one vote for reject. I'll wait until tomorrow and then we'll see where it will lead us.

Nevill

Arcane
I can do better than this. I can take them and then walk them back to the Legion, which - surprise, surprise! - looks down on any incursions near its territory.

Or I can back them up and take out their former base, sharing the plunder with them. I haven't checked if Heike is there or not...

You only need 1 Arab mercenary to operate Arab facilities. It works just like it does with buildings - one person provides the blueprints to get started, and then anyone can finish the job.

And for the record, Raul is considered a Russian soldier for all intents and purposes. Yeah, I know, a bit of inconsistency on game's part.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
And for the record, Raul is considered a Russian soldier for all intents and purposes. Yeah, I know, a bit of inconsistency on game's part.

You want Mortars AND Bazookas every mission?! You are a mad man.

Nevill

Arcane
Updatan time!

Mission 14. Proportionate response.
How can we refuse such a pretty girl? :hug:
2015_11_28_151802.jpg

Burlak_radio.jpg
- (into radio) All right, Fraulein Steyer. Send in your men.

Fraulein, eh? It is interesting that the most prominent mercenaries - Genscher, Kurt and Heike - all come from Germany. Then again, Robert Farmer sounds like an American name.

Soon after, the vehicles arrive to claim their payment.
2015_11_28_152321.jpg

Here is where things get interesting:

- There are always 2 cargo trucks. They are green, meaning that they have a neutral attitude towards your forces.
- If you block them from reaching your depot, they will remain green, and the script will halt until they can get to it. If you block one, but not the other, the second one will wait for the partner before doing anything.
- You can attack them and force the drivers out. If you do that before they load the resourses, the drivers will remain green and neutral, wandering around your depot until you attack them directly.
- If you attack the trucks, force the drivers out, and then attack the drivers, they change their color to white (same as the Legion). They won't know how to get back inside the vehicles, so the exchange does not occur. If that happens before they load up the crates, this leads to the same result as when you reject Heike's proposal.

- If you let the trucks load the resourses, but block them afterwards, they will turn white (hostile):
2015_11_28_155952.jpg

- However, they will still try to get back to their base. The transfer is not considered complete until they do, with a single exception.
- If you at any point steal any of the vehicle, the negotiations are void. You can get your resourses back that way, but the mercenaries will never arrive.
- BUT! If any of the vehicles gets destroyed after you pay up, this still counts as upholding your part of the bargain.

So we can't detain them, steal the vehicles, or get our money back without breaking the agreement. But we can blow them up after they report receiving payment from us, and then blame it on roaming mastodons. :P
2015_11_28_163955.jpg

Even though the resourses never reach the Legion, Heike still fulfills her part of the bargain. 5 men walk inside our base.
2015_11_28_164310.jpg

Let's see what we've got.
2015_11_28_164355.jpg

They are good soldiers, but pretty meh in all other respects.
Legion

Now you have several Legionnaires at your disposal and therefore you can use the Arabian options. If you want to research Arabian technologies, you have to turn one of them into an engineer and let him build a lab - the building will be an Arabian one and you can upgrade it to specialised labs. As long as you have at least one mercenary, you can research Arabian technologies. More information can be found in the on-line help, the most interesting are Biodetection, Explosives, Hidden cameras and Siberite implosion.

If you want Arabian vehicles, you need a factory built by an Arabian engineer. He or she can then add Arabian extensions to it. However it is not possible to combine your and Arabian components (not even on turrets).
So a single mercenary nets us access to the entire Arabian tech tree. Let's throw out the current inhabitants of the Arabian labs and get down to business.
2015_11_28_165125.jpg

Here are the basic techs:
Solar power technology. ~Allows the building of solar power plants. - Same as the American one.
Solar engine technology. ~Allows construction of solar powered vehicles. - Same as the American one.
Apeman agressivity technology. ~Tamed Apemen can be trained to be soldiers in an armoury or barracks. - Same as the Russian one. Arabs can't train apes as engineers.

Here is what the remote-control tech tree has to offer:
Materialisation detection technology. ~With Opto lab gives an automatic ability to detect materialisation on the whole map. - Same as the American one. I like it way more than the Russian prediction tech.
Remotely controlled charge technology. ~Gives all soldiers a finesse ability to place remotely controlled charges.
Hidden camera technology. ~Gives all engineers a finnesse ability to place hidden cameras.

Arabs can produce remote vehicles, just like their American colleagues, but they can't build radio stations, relying on mobile control towers instead, essentially controlling vehicles from another vehicle.

Their Alaskite/Siberite tree has two unique techs:
Siberite decay technology. ~Gives all scientists a finesse ability to contaminate siberite deposits.
Siberite implosion technology. ~Allows the construction of Self-propelled bomb equipped vehicles.

Their weapons are not something to write home about. There are no superpowered techs here, like Behemoths or double-lasers:
Explosives technology. ~Gives all soldier units a finesse ability to place timed charges.
Mortar technology. ~Any human unit can be trained to become a mortarman in the barracks.
Self-destruction technology. ~Gives all vehicles a terminal finesse ability to self-destruct.
Incendiary technology. ~Allows the construction of a flame-thrower.

Finally, they have a unique Biotechnology branch made specifically for them:
Apeman neural system technology. ~Allows the construction of Apemen driven vehicles.
Apeman brainwashing technology. ~Tamed Apemen can be trained to become kamikaze in barracks.
Stimulation drugs technology. ~Gives all units an automatic ability to use stimulation drugs.
Biodetection technology. ~With a Bio lab you have an automatic ability to detect living beings over the whole map.
Biotechnology upgrade 1. ~Speeds up healing and taming. Enhances stimulation drugs.
Biotechnology upgrade 2. ~Enhances Apemen drivers, stimulation drugs and biodetection.
Biotechnology upgrade 3. ~Enhaces Apemen drivers and biodetection.

In multiplayer missions their sheiks can also tame tigers and mastodons, making this somewhat more useful.

Anything that concerns Apemen requires one to be present in the lab. Speaking of which, the monkeys in this mission are pretty advanced ones. Every ape has 4 ranks of scientist or more, making them twice as smart as some of the mercenaries studying them. :lol:
2015_11_28_170028.jpg

Now, for a brief 'what if' session. What if we destroy the rest of the Samarkand base, as the mission briefing tells us?
Well, first thing first, the Legionaries leave.
2015_11_28_183342.jpg

And then after a while we find out we've been duped.
2015_11_28_183411.jpg

Gnievko.jpg
- Comrade Burlak! My notes concerning the Motherlode are gone!
Gorky.jpg
- Those bastards! The Legion must have them! Now everyone will know! Quickly! We have to stop them!
Burlak_radio.jpg
- (into radio) Steyer! This is Burlak. I know what you have done, you thieving bitch! Now I shall destroy you!
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- You are the ones who will die, Burlak. The Americans just tested a Siberite bomb. We shall buy our safety with these notes! But you are finished!
Burlak_radio.jpg
- (furious) You gutless bitch!
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- Oh dear, Burlak. Are we losing control? (tight-lipped) Nothing can bring Omar back now, but at least I can avenge his death! Enjoy hell, commander!

Heike, sweetheart! That's not how this works. Not with us, anyway.

I see the time spent away from our harem made you into a bitter person. We will have to rectify that once we have the dominion over the prehistoric world. :smug:
So let's not do that, especially because I haven't researched any of the techs yet. That Biotech tree sounds particularly intriguing.

Whoa, there is a LOT of apes in this mission. Good thing we shot the Arabian medic before she could recruit them all.
2015_11_28_165922.jpg

I grab all of my scientists, and go check the life signs all over the map. I need a lot of scientists, because the terrain is heavily mined.
2015_11_28_170140.jpg

Oops. That one isn't an ape. Too bad for her. :cool:
2015_11_28_170218.jpg

There are about 10 apes to the north. And I suspect the map spawns another one every so often. Probably a concession to the Arabian AI that has to use apes to operate vehicles.
2015_11_28_170502.jpg

The ape army quickly disarms the explosives around New Samarkand the old-fashioned way. The combination of Arabian combat stims and Russian stasis field is a really effective one. Not a single ape died, even though a few come close.
2015_11_28_171427.jpg

And here's the Legion base. Not a heavily defended one, but they have very experienced personnel. Infantry, even as awesome as our bazookas, won't pass here.
2015_11_28_172048.jpg

So we make a workshop. With all the apes, its construction takes only a few seconds.
2015_11_28_172912.jpg

And we make Gorky his toy he requested in the last update.
2015_11_28_173409.jpg

Gnievko.jpg
- Comrade Burlak, design of the moving fortress is complete. We call it Behemoth. Mechanics must construct it outside factories. Because of the size it is very slow. We have 12 computers to control it, but still they drive it poorly, so you have to navigate carefully. It can only deal with small slopes. But believe me, comrade Burlak, no weapon will stop it. If we can get it to the enemy base we will see it flattened in moments!
Behemoth

You now have your first Behemoth. This is a very powerful weapon - maybe the most powerful one in the game - but it has its limitations.

Because of its size and weight it is very limited in its abilities to get across terrain in spite of its tracks.
Why limit ourselves to just one when we have the whole map to ourselves?
2015_11_28_175143.jpg

Allahu akbar that, Heike! :cool:

4 bazookas, 5 mortarmen, 2 scientists, 10 kamikaze apes, 4 self-propelled bombs, and 5 Behemoths. Frankly, just Behemoths would be more than enough, but I wanted to give these guys a taste of their own medicine for all the times I had to dodge their suicide bombers in a panic.

ONWARDS!
2015_11_28_175434.jpg

I send the expendable mortarmen in first. The former Legionaries are too afraid to defy me, not with that much TNT behind their backs. :lol: My first self-propelled bomb car does not reach its intended target, stopping mere centimeters away, but I activate the self-destruction button, ensuring that the resulting explosion will kill it nonetheless.
2015_11_28_175624.jpg

Those damage numbers... :roll:

With the first row of defense removed, the second bombing attempt goes smoother.
2015_11_28_175738.jpg

Next, their factory is history...
2015_11_28_175835.jpg

...and then, the back row of defenses. A shame there is no one to see the devastation - after you explode the vehicle, you lose the line of sight.
2015_11_28_175927.jpg

It's the turn of the depot.
2015_11_28_180018.jpg

BOOM! The apes may be more fragile than cars, but no less effective. You need to spread them, though - or you will quickly run out of kamikazes because of chain reactions.
2015_11_28_180052.jpg

Another one blows up the turret. Hmmm, isn't Petr Grigorovic a Russian name? You race traitor!! :argh:
2015_11_28_180115.jpg

And here's the bloody aftermath. It took maybe 30 seconds. The mercenaries dare not speak of defecting. :cool:
2015_11_28_180228.jpg

With the Legion crushed, we return back to New Samarkand, and level the few remaining facilities. Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_28_180447.jpg

+ Alaskite mine protected.
+ Behemoth built.
+ Few casualties.

Intermission screen.
2015_11_28_180555.jpg

Will we see the mercs in the next mission, I wonder?

What we've missed.
For those of you interested, here are the special Arabian abilities:
The explosive charge is a strange one. The soldier places the charge...
2015_11_28_192625.jpg

...then walks away from the spot, while the timer is ticking...
2015_11_28_192629.jpg

...until the explosion happens, which is fairly soon.
2015_11_28_192631.jpg

I have been unable to make use of this ability. What is it good for? To throw off pursuit? To blow up buildings? I am genuinely baffled.

At least the remote-controlled charge tech is easy to grasp. You place one, you choose when to detonate it. Does good damage, too.
2015_11_28_192721.jpg

Hidden cameras are fancy. You need an object to hide them behind - most often, a tree. Once placed, they provide you with scouting information. They follow the line of sight rules, so you won't see anything that a person in the exact same spot wouldn't be able to. Here is a screenshot of a camera put behind a bush in the middle of the screen:
2015_11_28_193052.jpg

If an object the camera is placed behind is destroyed, so is the camera.
The Arabs do not have heavy chassis. In fact, all they have is hovertank (the lightest), light trike, medium trike, and half-tracked. They have to akbar their way through any serious fortifications, as they can't build heavy guns. Most of their tech tree is centered around explosions. At least the mortarmen are good.

Anyway, had we dealt with Farmer, he would have betrayed us too:
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) This is Yuri Gorky, calling Robert Farmer. You are a thieving bastard and you will die!
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- You didn’t pay us a bonus, so we took it ourselves, Burlak! Not that we are selfish about it. We’ll share what we have with our American friends.
Gorky.jpg
- You scum!
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- Say what you want. We’ll be alive and you won’t. The Americans have developed a Siberite bomb and when we hand them these notes, maybe they’ll let us watch when they drop it on you. Nice knowing you, commander.
Gorky.jpg
- (desperate, losing it) You will pay, you bastard! I swear it! I swear!

And if we had refused Heike...
Burlak_radio.jpg
- (into radio) We’re not interested, Fraulein. Just keep out of the way.

We would have been contacted by the Legion deserters!
2015_11_28_220102.jpg

Berg.jpg
- Commander, don’t shoot.
Gorky.jpg
- You got a good reason why I shouldn’t!?
Berg.jpg
- Commander, we believe the Legion is doomed. They are parasites without a host. You are a great commander, comrade Gorky. We want to work for you.

They offer to work for us for free! Isn't that generous of them?
2015_11_28_220117.jpg

Legion soldiers are deserting and want to join your ranks. Do you want to:
- Accept them.

Gorky.jpg
- All right, I will allow you into our ranks. But one wrong move and I will no show mercy. Is that clear?
Berg.jpg
- You need have no doubts, comrade.
- Reject them.
Gorky.jpg
- You think we want Legion’s rejects in our Army? Get out of my sight before I kill you.
They are a bit worse than Heike's elites, but not by much. And their leader is pretty decent, stat-wise.
2015_11_28_220153.jpg

Of course, when the time comes to wipe out New Samarkand, the guy turns coats and deserts again - unless you believe it was a ploy from the very start.
2015_11_28_220545.jpg

Berg.jpg
- Life in the Red Army is worse than in the Legion!
Gorky.jpg
- You don’t like it then get out.
Berg.jpg
- Don’t worry Gorky, I’m on my way. (turns colour)

And he grabs the Motherlode notes while he is at it, leading to the confrontation with the Legion.

If we reject all Legion offers, the mission simply ends once New Samarkand is no more.

By the way, remember I said that destroying Heike's trucks before they reach our depot counts as a rejection of her offer? There is a nuance to it. It triggers the second event immediately, without the deserters running all the way to Gorky.
2015_11_28_221331.jpg

Note the location on the map.

Which means that if we accept them, they start right in the middle of the Legion's base. :lol:
2015_11_28_221401.jpg

Good riddance, mercenary scum. :smug:

If we let New Samarkand stand for a while longer, we could have encountered the even where they blow up one of our Alaskite mines:
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade major, this mine is giving off dangerous radiation. Anyone who goes near is burnt.
Gorky.jpg
- So what’s causing it?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- We’re trying to find out. But I think it must have been caused deliberately...
Gorky.jpg
- The Arabian bastards! Still trying to destroy the Alaskite!
You will also lose a medal if you allow it to happen.

Finally, there is a surrendering event, though I have no clue how to trigger it. Our attack was so fierce that we have wiped all sheikhs before they could contact us.
Abdul.jpg
- This is Abdul al'Haffiz, commander-in-chief of United Preservation Forces. I admit our defeat and offer unconditional surrender. I have failed my duty, I have failed the trust placed in me.

Overall, I really like the 'fast and furious' approach to the campaign as opposed to the way it was designed to be completed. We'll see if we can keep it up in the final mission.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
What?

I never met Farmer, I had to extract his portrait from the game, so I assume that's what he looks like. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom