Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Prelude to Darkness (Finished)

Fezzik

Cipher
We've received new orders from Deba in the Citadel, but as long as we're here, why don't we look around. Let's start by meeting the Watcher's agent in this area, Fordain.

77613388.jpg

We reach his shop and start talking.

47661587.jpg

Hello.

Welcome to my shop. How may I help you?

Who are you?

I am Fordain, a thaumaturgist of no small skill, and purveyor of arcane components.

The Watcher sent us.

Ahhh . . . I have been expecting you, and I'm glad to see you've made your way to the Citadel, the city needs your help. The Council Leader position is empty, and the election is a stalemate. As I am sure you are aware, recent events in the Valley make this a time for strong leadership, not political bickering. I think you are just the people to help move the situation along to conclusion.

Can you please add Citadel locations to my map?

Certainly. There you are.

Tell me about the Citadel.

The Citadel is a large city, and there's a lot going on. What are you curious about?

Explain the layout of the Citadel

The Citadel is laid out in four main quarters divided north-south by the wall, and east-west by the River. The quarters below the wall are called the Lower Quarters, and are home to most of the Riverfolk in the city. The Flamebloods live in the Upper Quarters north of the wall. The Temple Quarter is in the far north of the city, at the end of the canyon. In general you'll find that the city is nicer, the closer to the river you are. Towards the canyon walls the streets become much narrower, and, shall we say, the rents go down. I've heard that the Citadel is built on an ancient ruin, but I haven't seen any evidence to support the claim.

Tell me about the Temple.

The Temple of the Flame is the center of Flame religion. The Priestess of the Flame, the Keeper of the Flame, and most of the priests can be found at the Temple in the far north of the Citadel.

Tell me about the Houses.

Three of the Flameblood Houses are head-quartered in the Citadel. House Leit maintains the Library and Seminarium, House Flam the Bank, and House Char's citadel is the Amphitheater. Is there a particular House you're curious about?

Isn't there a fourth house?

Well, yes, technically House Baern is the fourth House. They control the mining in Jerrock, and consequently are not involved in the governing of the Citadel.

House Leit

House Leit is the scholarly House, and they usually have their noses buried too deep in their books to take much interest in what's going on around them, which is probably for the best.

House Flam

House Flam are our fine merchants and traders. They control all trade and crafts in the valley, though I know of a few whom have found creative ways around Flam. The less said about that, the better.

House Char

House Char? They run the Guardians of course. They are our grand protectors, and watch over us in our sleep. Or so they say, but there is an old saying, "Who watches the watchers?"

Tell me more about the Council.

Riverfolk never have been very interested in politics. The Council is the Citadel's ruling body, and is as such the source and center of all Flame law. Because of this it is often thought of as the Valley's highest authority, at least as far as Flamebloods are concerned. The Riverfolk don't seem very interested in an official ruling body, but the Flamebloods like to have everything in place just so. It is made up of a representative from each House, and one from the Temple. Every two years the Council elects a representative from one of the Houses to be a leader.

Who are the current Council members?

The Council representative is anyone who possesses the House's voting rod, but usually it's the House leader. Currently Char is led by Lucien, Flame is led by Fadicus, and Leit is led by Otarian. The Priestess usually attends to represent the Temple.

How is a new leader elected?

The Temple and each House sends a representative, bearing a voting rod, to the Keeper of the Flame. Each voting rod allows a single vote, and the election is caught in a nasty stalemate as each House will only vote for itself, and the Temple isn't voting at all. The Keeper would be able to explain the situation in more detail.

What's a voting rod?

A metal rod, maybe two feet long or so, that bears the sigil of the House or the Temple. Anyone who possesses it may vote at Council for that House. Needless to say the Houses are very protective of them. If you were able to convince two Houses, or a House and the Temple, to give you their rods, you would be able to swing the election.

Tell me about the Keeper.

The current Keeper is Fastoflex of Leit, and he's held the position for many years. The main responsibility of the position is to act as advisor to the Priestess, and to provide stability in the church. The Priestess changes every five years, but the Keeper is life long position. His offices are in the Temple, with the Priestess. I don't know much about Fastoflex's character, though I have heard that he is shrewd, and an effective counselor.

Why has the Temple abstained?

I don't know, the Priestess isn't saying.

How can we help with the election?

I think that you could persuade the Council members to break their deadlock. To do this you will need to earn their trust first to gain access to the leaders of the Houses. I have been watching the houses, and I have some ideas of how you can go about earning their trust. Younger members of the Houses bear the burden of expectation, and helping one of the rising stars of each House would be a very effective means of gaining access to the House Leaders. Are you interested?

Tell us more.

Excellent. I have identified three young members of each House who could use your help. Lykia of Char wishes to be General wehn Horatius, the current General, is dead. So far the leader of House Char, Lucien, has not named her as the successor. You can help her by speaking to her about the Maleficium, a secret organization of criminals and cutthroats. So far the Maleficium has eluded the Guardians, so if you were to help Lykia bring them to justice, it would be a large and brightly colored feather in her cap, and go a long way towards earning her the respect she needs to be general one day. You can find Lykia upstairs in House Char.

Word on the street is that House Flam is having a problem with shoes showing up on the black market, which threatens their profits and control over the craftspeople of the city. My sources tell me that Vittoria, the Seneschal of House Flam, ahs been assigned the task of smoking out the entrepreneurial cobbler. You'll find her in Nacippe's House Bank of Flam.

House Leit's rising star is Rosa, a delightful young lady who is a student at the Seminarium. She is nearing completion of her studies, and there are great expectations for her final thesis. I won't say more than to say that you should seek her out, she should be at House Leit.

Keep in mind that your true goal is to speak with the House Leaders to secure their voting rods.

Goodbye.

So there are some political knots to unravel. Before we get on that, why don't we talk to some of the locals.

69525939.jpg

Here's one encounter that we're not going to go through with, but it illustrates how, depending on who the leader of the party is, dialogues may go differently

24564833.jpg

Are you talking to me?

That's right, shorty. You almost bumped into me, and I don't like clumsy idiots like you. You got a problem with that?

As a matter of fact, I do.

Oh really? Then what are you going to do about it, pip-squeak?

Kill you.

Aigi looks you up and down and smirks. Clearly she is not intimidated by your physique. That's it. Now you've made me mad.

And combat begins. If, on the other hand, my big bad fighter talks to her . . .

Oh really? Then what are you going to do about it, pip-squeak?

Kill you.

She looks you up and down, and suddenly seems to think better of her words. I . . . I . . . I . . . didn't mean anything by it, mate. Uh . . . just kidding, I'm not looking for trouble.

Moving on, we talk to a local musician.

81583201.jpg

Hello.

He smiles at you as he plays. Hello.

You play beautifully.

Thank you.

Can you teach me how to play?

I'd be happy to give you a lesson. Do you have an instrument?

No.

How do you expect to become a musician with no instrument? I happen to have a used Lutam that I can sell you for 7 drachs. Interested?

Give him the money

He takes your drachs and hands you a worn but still serviceable lutam. Now you have an instrument, but there is still the matter of my fee of 25 drachs.

Let's get started.

He takes your drachs, and begins to show you what he knows.

See, not so hard as you thought. Shall we lay together a bit? You might be able to earn back some of the drachs you paid me.

Yeah . . . that didn't really sound right. But all he's suggesting is to play music together looking for people to give money.

Let's play.

You settle down and begin to play

You aren't able to keep any kind of rhythm or harmony, and no one gives you even a single drach. Don't be discouraged. You need some practice, that's all. Good luck with it!

Goodbye.

So my druid isn't much of a musician. However, if we had talked to him with someone with more musical talent, we could in fact earn back the money we paid for lessons.

Another street-roamer.

76362643.jpg

Hello.

No need to shout! I can hear you perfectly clear! What seems to be the matter that you need to shout so loud?

Who are you?

You, sir, have the privilege of addressing the Honorable Hercus of House Hercularium. Make way, make way!

There's no House Hercularium.

That's what you think, you just don't know your history. My mother told me all about House Hercular . . . Herculim . . . Hercunalium! We were a once mighty House, brought low by the politicking of the other Houses. they were jealous of us, they were, and they killed my Father, and took my birthright. That's what my mother told me happened to my father, and I believe here over you. Good day!

Yeah bud. Lay off the booze for a while.

Here's another fellow. He's wandering the streets wearing robes.

62340419.jpg

Hello.

As you approach, the old man takes your hand in his, moving his fingers slowly over your palm, his ruined face turned skyward nodding all the while. As his robes shift you can see that his legs are scarred ruins.

Are you a fortune teller?

A teller of futures this day, a disabled Guardian the next, a madman the third. We do what we must in this world.

Perhaps you can read my future?

You seek miracles, pilgrim. Do I look to you like I can perform miracles?

You're the fortune teller, not me.

The past comes back to haunt me, then. That's the trouble with trying to live up to expectations, especially when those expectations are based on hazy memories. Well . . .
He continues to run his fingers over your palm.
Forecasting fate is not without risks. What are the rewards? If my telling disappoints you, I won't see you again, pilgrim.
His fingers stop moving on your hand.

Five drachs will be your reward.

Your coin purse is heavy enough.

Here's the 5

In one fluid movement he removes the coins and once again begins to run his fingers along your outstretched palm. All of your skills and experience will be tested in this endeavor.

As will yours, speak my fortune.

Questers of answers to unknown secrets, searching for what will put an end to their uncertainty. There is a storm surrounding you. If you continue down your current path there is darkness and pain and death in your future. Perhaps you should stop tempting fate. He removes his fingers from your palm. Farewell, pilgrim. Good fortune to you.

Let's head to the Temple to see if we can get any information about the elections there.

15081080.jpg

Here's the inside of the Temple.

18735372.jpg

We talk to the person nearest the door.

29275480.jpg

Hello.

acloakrhesos.jpg
Welcome to the Temple of the Flame.

Who are you?

acloakrhesos.jpg
I am Actaia, Chief Acolyte of the Flame.

We'd like to see the Priestess.

Unfortunately the Priestess is occupied. And, how shall I put this delicately . . . given what I've heard about you and your friends, I seriously doubt she will soon be available for an audience.

Goodbye.

Well fuck you too. Goddamned cloaked figure.

We walk over to the Keeper of the Flame, Fastoflex.

10603636.jpg

Hello.

What matter has brought you before the Keeper of the Flame?

I'd like to discuss the Council election.

What about the election has aroused your curiosity?

Why is the Temple abstaining from the Council election?

Although I do not usually discuss Temple matters with outsiders, I sense that you are worthy, and this is a matter which impacts the entire Valley. On my council, the Priestess has decided to abstain from voting until the Houses are able to decide amongst themselves who should be Council Leader. She is tired of their squabbling and wishes to force the matter.

Goodbye.

I suppose we can help there. Let's head off to House Leit, to see what their rising star Rosa needs help with.

94320392.jpg

Hello.

Hello there, I was wondering if I might speak with you for a moment?

Straight to business, aye?

Of course.

I'm in need of some assistance. You see, I'm writing my thesis on a newly discovered and elusive species of cavern dweller. Thus far no one has been able to capture one long enough to learn anything about them. I've been told that several of these creatures have been spotted near the Citadel. This represents a remarkable opportunity to advance our knowledge of these strange beasts. Now, I lack the skills to capture such an animal myself and I was hoping to find someone who could accomplish that for me.
I'm afraid there is not much that I can offer you for this task, I barely have the funds to support my own research. But you would be making a tremendous contribution to the sciences, and you would earn the gratitude of House Leit. What do you say?

We'll do it.

Rosa appears elated. Thank you so much. Talk to Ingunar the hunter, he should know where to find one of the creatures. And take this device I designed, it should help you to subdue the beast.

How does the device work?

It's very clever, if I say so myself. There is a trigger here in the handle that causes the loop to contract around the creature. It's been designed to cause tonic immobility in the cavern dweller, which is a trance like state. It will still be able to walk, but it will be all but unaware of its surroundings and quite docile.

Tell me about cavern dwellers.

They're fearsome creatures that live in the cave systems that dot the Valley walls. Throughout our history they have been a nuisance, occasionally coming out in large numbers. They're a big reason we need the Guardians. Recently there have been reports of appearances of more advanced and intelligent species. I have had the opportunity to investigate the partial remains of one of these creatures, and it was quite remarkable.

Where can we find Ingunar?

He's a hunter, so he could be anywhere, really. Most recently he's been working the areas south of the Cemetery.

Goodbye.

We take a trip to the hunter.

94935915.jpg

And we get his attention.

37329630.jpg

I was told you spotted some of the rare cavern dwellers.

Yeah, I've seen 'em. What about it? He looks at you suspiciously.

Do you know where we can find the cavern dwellers?

Sure, in caverns. If you were looking for somethin' more specific, it'll cost you.

What's your price?

Broke my skinning knife the other day. Could use a new ironwood dagger. Fetch me that and I'll tell you what you need.

My thief's never going to use her dagger much anyway.

We happen to have one with us.

Isn't that lucky. He takes the dagger, admiring the sharpness of its edge. Thank you kindly. Now, you'll find the beasts you're lookin' for in the caves to the east of here, and just south of the forest. If you hit the river, you've gone too far. Course, if you ask me . . . it's not the wisest choice to go after 'em. But it's your skin you're riskin'. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

Goodbye.

We hike over to the Cave.

86419120.jpg

Once inside we see the cavern dweller, a big one.

70062327.jpg

23278889.jpg

65319220.jpg

15680438.jpg

We deliver the hulk to Rosa.

63995582.jpg

We'd like to talk to the House Leit leadership.

Then you want to speak to my Grandfather, Otarian. He lives in the big house on the cliff behind the labs and the library. After helping me I would expect he would see you gladly. Hopefully he won't pinch your cheek as hard as he pinches mine.

Goodbye.

Before talking with the bigwig of House Leit, why don't we approach House Flam.

40547282.jpg

He-hey! The game crashes.

74341115.jpg

Luckily the autosave is set to save every minute. We load up and proceed to House Flam.

13056895.jpg

We open up a conversation with Vittoria.

53945549.jpg

May I speak with Nacippe?

And what business do you have to conduct with the Matriarch?

I wanted to discuss the election.

So important an issue for such a stranger to our house. Help us with a smaller task and we can see about allowing you to speak with the Matriarch in regards to the Council election.

What's the problem?

House Flam sets the prices of all goods and commodities in the Valley. We believe that one of our cobblers is selling to certain unscrupulous individuals below our established rates. This is forcing other cobblers to rist selling for less or starve. We'd like you to find out who is responsible, and stop them. The craftspeople you should speak to are Boreas, Sencian and Vauna, all of whom have shops in the Lower Quarters. Come back to me when you find out which is the guilty party.

Unscrupulous individuals?

Do I need to spell out Maleficium?

Goodbye.

So let's have a word with these cobblers.

18595224.jpg

First up is Boreas.

71206072.jpg

Hello.

Come in and be welcome. I am Boreas, the maker of the finest and most comfortable boots in the entire Valley. How may I serve you today?

We're here about the . . . special rates.

Special rates? There is a discount bin in the back corner, if you're looking for 'special rates'.

No, your SPECIAL rates.

I SAID I have a BOX in the CORNER with the DISCOUNT boots. He doesn't seem to have any idea what you are talking about.

Goodbye.

I guess it's not Boreas.

13284444.jpg

Maybe Sencian is the one behind the cobbler caper.

83239244.jpg

Hello.

Hello, hello. Your shoes have sure seen a lot of wear. If you're looking to replace them, you've come to the right shop.

We're here about the . . . special rates.

Special rates? He appears to be hiding something.

We work for Maleficium.

The . . . Maleficium? Um . . . how can I . . . help you? Sencian looks scared.

We want the SPECIAL rates.

Special rates? I thought only Vauna was offering special rates?

Vauna, eh?

If you didn't know that, then you don't actually work for the Maleficium, which means you work for . . . House Flam. Damn. Get out. Just get out.

It's time to confront the culprit.

17437060.jpg

Hello.

Welcome in. Do you need a nice pair of shoes?

You're underselling.

No I'm not!

Sencian told us that you are underselling.

Sencian ratted me out? You must have tricked him. Listen for a second. I just need to take care of a debt, then it will never happen again. It's just that . . . Staponia . . . the Maleficium . . . I . . . I can't . . .

Tell me more about this debt.

It's sort of embarrassing. I owe the Maleficium a lot of money. Sweet Goddess I owe them a lot. But they agreed to let me work off the debt by undercutting the shoe market. Staponia is the local collector. She can be found in the Cup and Candle. It's a tavern in the Lower East quarter. I . . . I just don't know what to do. Sencian and Boreas, these people are my friends, and now I'm making them starve or risk underselling as well.

Goodbye.

Please give me time to pay it off, or convince them not to collect.

At this point, I suppose we could just turn her in to House Flam. But why not go the extra mile? To the Cup and Candle.

31268033.jpg

Staponia is sitting across the room. We walk up and start talking.

72979003.jpg

Hello.

Hello. Care to play a game of Harrowing?

I wanted to discuss Vauna's debt.

What's to discuss? She's a big girl. She played the game and lost. And since you're here chatting with me about it, you know that she's working off her debt, 500 drachs. A glance at your purse tells you that you don't have that much money.

How about we play again, for double or nothing?

If you want to make Vauna's life that much more difficult, who am I to stop you? I'm sure you've played Harrowing before. You may also know it as Miblent or Topside. Staponia pulls out a deck of cards and takes out some dice. She deals you three cards, delas herself five cards, hands you the dice and narrows her eyes as a smile settles upon her face.

Play the game.

The first few cards are turned, and Staponia smiles slightly as she touches the deck. You notice that she is very subtly rearranging the cards and she freezes as she realizes she has been caught.

I do believe that is an intelligence check.

You're cheating.

You've got good eyes. Before you do anything rash, know that if I die, you die. Although I could call for my friends, I have no illusions that the 5 of you could quite easily dispatch me before you're killed. It looks like we have a stalemate, so let's all find a way out of this where everybody lives.

You cheated Vauna into her debt.

It would appear that way, yes. She takes out a small piece of paper and tosses it to you. Here is her marker. I absolve her of her debt. I'm going to reach for my belt now. She slowly reaches for her belt.

Ok

She reaches into her belt and pulls out a pouch which she tosses to you. Here are the drachs she lost. You don't have to come back. I don't have to seek you out. This ends our transaction. you know your way to the door.

We could keep the money and just tell Vauna that she's no longer in debt, but I don't really care, so let's give it back.

28325984.jpg

Hello.

Please tell me you haven't told Flam.

In regards to your debt.

I can't even begin to express my sorrow.

We found out she cheated you on the initial bet, and we got your money back.

You hand her the bag full of drachs which she lost to Staponia. That's some of the greatest news I have heard in a while. I'm going to go to the House and confess my wrongdoing and pay the fine. Thank you so much.

Goodbye.

We head back to House Flam.

23377028.jpg

Vauna is the underseller.

You must have just missed her. She came by to confess and pay her fine. She was very fortunate to have found your assistance with her debts. Her willing confession eliminates the need for imprisonment.
At any rate, you have proven that you are deserving of Flam trust. If you wish to speak to the Matriarch, you have more than earned an audience. She will speak to you now.

Goodbye.

Nacippe is in the back, standing by a bed.

78477683.jpg

We open up a conversation.

Hello.

Greetings. I am Nacippe, Matriarch of House Flam. Vittoria has told me about how you uncovered our errant cobbler. What can an old lady do for you?

I would like to vote using the voice of Flam.

Ah yes, the council leadership. You have assisted House Flam with the cobbler issue, that much Vittoria has reported to me. But before I entrust you with the House voting rod let us see if you are truly trustworthy. Find Ianassa down in Land's End. She should be staying at the Resthouse on the East side. Ianassa will have a box that you must deliver to me. When I get the box and its contents safely in my possession, I will give you the voting rod to vote as you see fit.

What if I lose the box?

You will have proven yourself weak. Either weak of will in that you succumbed to temptation, took the box and lied, or weak of strength, in that you allowed the box to be taken from you. Either way, I will not be able to entrust the voting rod of House Flam to you.

What's in the box?

A treasure that armies would fight for. You do not need to know more.

Goodbye.

We'll get on that once we're out of the Citadel. For now, let's go to House Char.

65761298.jpg

On the lower level, we see someone.

77464228.jpg

What engagement?

I am not at liberty to discuss classified situations with civilians.

That's right. House Char is a military house.

In the back there is a man dressed up in a uniform.

82612493.jpg

Hello.

What can I do for you?

What is this place?

This is the armory, where all Char weapons and armor are stored when not in use. We have the greatest collection in the entire Valley, including the largest amount of worked steel.

Who are you?

I am Vallas, and I am responsible for maintaining all weapons and armor in the armory. I am responsible for insuring that Char equipment is in perfect shape at all times.

Can we buy anything?

The Armory of Char is not a store. Our weapons and armor are reserved for the heroes of the House.

Goodbye.

Okey doke.

We head upstairs and see this guy in the first room.

52414810.jpg

Your wedding?

Yes, I was recently wed to Petania of Flam. It was a glorious ceremony. A shame you weren't there. Well, I suppose there is something bette I could be doing with myself. Maybe I'll go see my new bride . . .

Goodbye.

And finally, the woman we've been looking for, Lykia.

45158145.jpg

Hello.

I do not appreciate interruptions, what do you want?

I hear you want to be General.

I do not like the character implications of that statement. All Guardians should aspire to be General one day.

We can help you become General.

Oh Really? And why exactly would you do that?

We want to speak with Lucien.

I see. By helping me you gain access to the leaders of House Char. Clever. I consider this a win for both of us. However, The Maleficium have eluded the Guardian's every effort to find them, how do you plan to defeat them?

With House Char information.

I will not give you access to official House or Guardian information without your pledge to use this information honorably, and only to defeat the Maleficium. Do you so pledge?

We so pledge.

Excellent. I did recently receive an intelligence report about possible Maleficium activity in the tavern in the Lower East Quarter called the Cup and Candle. I had been holding onto the report, trying to decide how to best use the information. I want you to follow up on the lead. I am looking specifically for information leading me to the location of the Maleficium headquarters or leadership. I'd suggest you visit the establishment during the evening hours. The crowd tends to be rather sparse during the day. I look forward to your report.

What level of force can we legally use?

If you can strike a blow directly against the Maleficium, you have my permission to use all necessary force. Lethal force is allowed in cases of self-defense. Please try to keep the civilian casualties to a minimum.

What do you know about the tavern?

There is not much to tell. It is a typical lower quarter tavern. Most of its patrons are craftspeople and laborers. Occasionally the Guardians have need to break up brawls, and a murder last year. Typical.

What are our specific orders?

Your orders are to go to the Cup and Candle, and use your own discretion to follow up any leads you com across. Report back to me when you have important information, or if you are faced with opposition beyond your means.

That's all you have?

The tavern is the only new lead that is not currently being worked by the Guardians, yes.

Goodbye.

It seems that the Cup and Candle is a regular den of thieves. Before we get to that, let's go back and Check in with Octarian, the head of House Leit. Here's his home behind House Leit.

82676829.jpg

We walk in and he immediately has something to say.

63006520.jpg

Yes, we are.

Fezzik

Cipher
Continued . . .

But of course you are. I wonder if I might ask such a noble group for help, as I am in a bit of a bind myself.

We'll help in exchange for your voting rod.

Otarian looks surprised. The voting rod of House Leit? That's quite a price to pay, but I suppose I've little choice. Without your help I won't be fit to head House Leit, let alone the council. If you agree to help me, I'll agree to your terms and more.

We'll help.

Thank the Flame. I'm not sure what I would do without your help. But you must promise that what I'm telling you will be kept secret. Can you do that?

We can keep your secret.

Wonderful. I have a secret which could jeopardize my leadership of House Leit. You see, I'm quite blind. In the past I've only been able to lead this House with the aid of a pair of special spectacles. Now they are gone, stolen. I need you to recover them. Quietly, doing whatever it takes. I will not be made a fool of in my own House!

Why don't you call the Guardians?

This is a sensitive matter, and the involvement of the Guardians will only compromise my situation. If anyone knew that I was blind, my rivals would have an opportunity to bring me down. Consequently should you be caught harming the thief, I will claim absolute ignorance of the situation.

How are the spectacles special?

They are enchanted. They were designed and created by a thaumaturgist especially for my eyes. They're useless to anyone else. Except for blackmail, it seems.

Who stole them?

I'll be charred if I know. But they've been black mailing me ever since. I have had little choice but to give the thief whatever he or she wants. And what they want is drachs, hundreds of them. By now it has become clear that no amount of money will convince the thief to return my spectacles. So it looks like you may have to employ other means of persuasion. Whoever they are, they come to my room at midnight to pick up their payments. The agreement is that no one is to be there when they pick up the bribe, so if they see you when they enter they'll flee. Perhaps if you hide outside you could follow the scoundrel back to their home to see who's behind this and then confront them.

Goodbye.

The party gets outside . . .

39509845.jpg

And hide outside they did.

99622611.jpg

We follow the suspect back to their home. That's two successful stealth checks, I think.

60885540.jpg

We wander in and confront her.

69692800.jpg

We know you're blackmailing Otarian.

How dare you come in here and accuse me of such things. I've done nothing of the sort!

We caught you coming out of his room.

Ahem . . . er . . . well then. I suppose I'm caught. But I had my reasons.

What reasons?

As you can no doubt tell, I'm an academic. The latest thesis I submitted to the Seminarium "Cultural Similarities between Ironwood Bingos and House Leit" was, shall we say, not well received. In fact, Valentina, the Headmaster of the Seminarium would not even recognize it. That talentless old hack wouldn't recognize a fresh new idea if it smacked her on the backside. I know the title sounds bad, but it's a serious work, comparing the social Hierarchies among the bingos to the structure of the noble houses.
Anyway, I was furious that they wouldn't acknowledge my work, and Otarian's spectacles gave me an opportunity to strike back at House Leit.

Try to convince her that Otarian shouldn't suffer for someone else's mistake.

Your words are less than convincing. After several minutes of trying to reason with Saures, it is apparent that you have had little effect on her. Even if he's not responsible, why not let the old man squirm in his boots for a bit?

What does Otarian have to do with any of this?

Saures scratches her chin thoughtfully. It's not personal. I was at the Library doing research, and the old coot had fallen asleep. Those spectacles he always wears were sitting there, next to him. I knew they were important to him, so I took them. It wasn't until later that I found out he's blind without them. That's when I hatched my plan to blackmail him. If I couldn't get academic satisfaction from House Leit I was determined to at least bleed them of a few drachs. At first I was going to give the spectacles back after the first payment, but then I found out just how important the spectacles were to him. I knew I had a gold mine, and I acted accordingly.

Would you give me the spectacles if I could get Valentina to review your paper?

Of course, if you want to give it a shot she's over in House Leit. But I won't get my hopes up.

Goodbye.

Let's take a trip on the Reading Railroad.

35103319.jpg

Inside we find Valentina.

16033714.jpg

I was hoping to discuss Saure's thesis with you.

The mere mention of Saures seems to gravely upset Valentina. What is there to discuss about a work of pure obscenity! comparing a people of our house with bingos! Why I've never heard of anything so absurd! I never even bothered to look at it.

Try to convince Valentina to review the thesis.

A sardonic smile spreads across Valentina's face. Oh, well, pardon me. It would seem we're in the midst of a real academic. Why don't you explain your take on her thesis.

Discuss the thesis.

Your argument seems to have affected Valentina. I suppose you are right. Perhaps I should not judge the work merely by its title. I agree to look the paper over as I would any other. Now if that's all, I've work to do.

That's a successful Lore and Literacy check right there. We go back to Saures for the spectacles.

69847270.jpg

I convinced Valentina to read your thesis.

Thank you so much, here are the spectacles.

Goodbye.

We traipse across town back to Otarian.

Yes, we have your spectacles.

Otarian puts on his spectacles and looks you up and down. I have my vision again and you to thank for it. Bless you, friend. Here, take these drachs.

About your Voting Rod.

Ah, yes. I though perhaps you had forgot. No such luck. Ah well, I suppose I can give you no less. After all, without your aid I couldn't have remained the head of House Leit, much less become leader of the Council. Here it is.

I don't know what your plans are concerning th election, but know that House Leit is uniquely suited to lead the Valley in this time of crisis. Only House Leit has the knowledge to return our lands to the prosperity we have previously enjoyed. Magic and knowledge are they keys to victory over any unknown enemy! I am also prepared to reward you should House Leit win the election. Come back and speak with me, should that happen, and I shall reveal to you some very interesting, and very valuable, information.

Goodbye.

I wonder which House we should help with the Voting Rods? But that's for later. For now, let's head to the Cup and Candle to look into that House Char business. On entering . . .

83771348.jpg

Let's talk to one of the women at the bar, hoping to glean some information.

55051840.jpg

Hello.

Scram, shorty. Can't you see I'm busy here?

Let me buy you a drink.

Thanks, but I'll pass. Get lost before my boyfriend over there gets angry. He's rich and powerful, and you really don't want him to think you're after me. You might not wake up tomorrow.

Who's your boyfriend?

See the big guy at the table there? His name is Grillof, and he really doesn't like to be bothered.

I've never heard of him.

Oh that doesn't surprise me. You know how it is with really powerful people. Acting from behind the scenes, in the shadows . . .

Does he work for the Maleficium?

You know about the Maleficium?!? Yes, he's one of their most important members. Isn't it exciting! He always has a lot of moeny to spend on me.

Goodbye.

Let's talk to Grillof.

64421843.jpg

Hello.

Hey you! What were you talking to my girlfriend about?!?

I have information for the Maleficium.

I'm listening. What information?

That information is for the leader of the Maleficium.

Well you're speaking to the head man himself. What's the information. You don't think he's telling the truth.

I don't believe you.

So you don't think I look like the leader of the most nefarious gang of criminals in the Citadel? Mayber you're right, maybe you're wrong. Maybe you should tell me what you ant with the Maleficium anyway.

I have a job I need done.

A paying job? Tell me more.

I need someone . . . Walked Down the Stairs . . .

We can't walk anyone down the Stairs, no one's ever come back from there.

I mean kill them.

Woah, keep your voice down! Murder is out of my league. If that's what you want you'll need to go in the sewers and talk with my bosses.

Who are your bosses?

I talk, I die, so you'll have to find out for yourself.

The sewers?

Yeah, the sewers. It's the perfect hideout, except for the smel, and all the shit.

Goodbye.

So now we know where to find the Maleficium leadership. Next time we'll finish up Citadel stuff and then continue with the main quest for a bit. Maybe we'll check out the Barrier.

ElectricOtter

Again, thanks for doing this LP. The game looks really fun :(

Fezzik

Cipher
We won't quite get through with Citadel stuff in this update, but we'll get there. We'll shift back to the main quest after a bit, so that we don't lose focus.

But first, let's take care of this House Char business. The sewers are outside the Cup and Candle. We descend.

Here's what the sewers look like. There are a lot of narrow walkways in the sewer. If you end up fighting along one of them, your party will be single file, so if one of your weaker party members is in front, their may be much rejoicing amongst your enemies.

Throughout the sewers, traps are waiting for us. Dealing with the traps is dependent on the highest tinker skill in the party, tinker being the all-purpose "open locks, disarm traps, find traps, fix stuff, etc" skill.

Apparently my Thief's tinker skill is not high enough. Note that many skill checks in the game are static "either you pass it or you fail every time" checks, but the trap-disarming checks give you a certain chance to disarm.

After wandering through the sewers, we see the Maleficium's hideout.

My druid heals the party from the trap-damage it's endured . . .

. . . and we attack. The Maleficium officers are fairly tough, but the fight is perfectly doable.

At the end of the fight we find one of the scoundrels apparently got tangled in his bed sheets. We kill him with arrows and things are wrapped up.

We take the phat l00t, the most significant of which is a nice axe that I'm sure Nylis will appreciate. Note that in this game, permanently magical items and such are very rare. However, you may use thaumaturgy to temporarily enchant items (and make golems, apparently).

We find a bunch of sewer-dwelling tentacle creatures laying in wait. There are several such encounters to be had in these sewers.

Behind the Japanese monsters are the gear and remains of a Guardian. What he was doing in the sewers, I don't know.

With the Maleficium leadership destroyed, we head back to the surface.

Lykia will surely be happy with our report.

Hello.

I do not appreciate these continued interruptions. What is it now?

I'm here about the Maleficium.

And what do you have to say about the Maleficium?

We've already destroyed the Maleficium.

I am amazed. Without prior knowledge you have destroyed an organization which has alluded the Guardians for months. That is excellent news, and a testament to your honor and skill. If you are interested in serving House Char further, there is a very important matter which Thaleia of Char would like to speak to you about. Her house is southwest of here. Follow the path behind this building.

Who is Thaleia of Char?

She is my sister-in-law, and the wife of Lucien, the head of House Char.

We'll speak to her.

Excellent. Thank you again for your work.

We head outside and sure enough there is a dirt path running behind House Char.

We follow it and come to the doorway to Thaleia's home.

Thaleia is inside the luxurious home. We speak.

Tell me more about Lucien's illness.

About a month ago Lucien began feeling ill. Since that time his health has deteriorated drastically, and he has begun to lose his mental faculties.

What was Lucien doing before he got sick?

He had actually just returned from a tour of the Barrier, and had started work on a proposal to upgrade defenses. When he first got sick we joked that maybe he was allergic to Vangesh. I just though that between the travel and working on the proposal he had been working himself too hard.

What has been done so far?

We have brought in nearly every priest in the Citadel. The Priestess of the Flame herself has seen my husband. House Char's doctor has been tending Lucien since the symptoms first appeared.

Can we see the House doctor?

Unfortunately she's travelling at the moment. I have spoken with her at great length, however. I almost feel that I have learned enough to become a doctor myself. She has assured me that the symptoms are unlike anything she has ever seen. I think that it must be some new disease, or caused by something from outside the Valley.

What are his specific symptoms?

At first he was simply light-headed and tired, which we attributed to his recent travel and long hours. But his condition deteriorated until he became bedridden. He started to forget things, and he's less coherent every day. Now he slips in and out of consciousness. Neither the House doctor nor the Temple has been able to identify the cause.

Can we examine Lucien?

He doesn't appear to be contagious, so you're welcome to, but I doubt it will do much good.

We'll help find a cure.

Again you offer yourselves in service of House Char. Thank you, both for the House, and for myself. Good hunting.

Goodbye.

We go into the back room and check on Lucien.

Hmmm . . . not much to do there. I guess the Barrier is the next place to look for answers to the cause of Lucien's illness.

In the Southeast of the Citadel, there's a Vangesh embassy. If you recall, the Vangesh are the people who live to the east and who were driven out centuries ago by the Children of the Flame when the Vangesh and Riverfolk warred against each other. The Barrier divides the Vangesh land from the Valley. Let's go check it out.

In the first room we see this scarred man.

Hello.

Watch where you're treading, I just cleaned the floors!

I wish to speak with the Ambassador.

Wouldn't we all! You'll have to talk to the old witch Zobeida first. Good fortune to you. You'll need it if you're going to talk to her!

She's a witch?

She walked out on the deep desert, during the middle of the day! No one survives the Sun's Anvil, yet here she comes, like she was in the Valley, with all the water of the River. Walked right up to Yezeed and demanded that he take her on as his aide! This sounds like a tall tale to you.

Save your lies.

Lies? The tall tales told about the Goddess and the Children of the Flame are no more truthful, I'd say!

Lots of hatred and disdain between the races.

Moving on, we talk to Zobeida farther inside.

I wish to speak to with the ambassador.

acloakrhesos.jpg
You wish to speak to the ambassador, do you? And what business brings you?

Nothing in particular.

acloakrhesos.jpg
The ambassador is a busy one. He has no time for strangers.

Goodbye.

Obviously there are some cultural differences between the people of the Valley and the Vangesh. We go to the library to read up on it.

We speak to the librarian.

Hello.

Hello, an welcome to the Library of Leit.

I'd like to read a book.

Note that you cannot read a book unless a party member has some Literacy and Lore skill.

What subject are you interested in?

Culture, Geography & History.

Here we are. This is a list of Culture, Geography & History titles that are available. Which would you like to read? She hands you a slate listing the availale titles in chalk.

'Spirits of the Desert: The Manuscript of Fiusus, Relating His Experiences with the Vangesh in 922 PA' by Fiusus.

In 922 PA, Fiusus, a scholar from the seminarium, left the Citadel on a mission to study the Vangesh. Life in the desert is a far sketch from the peaceful tranquility of the Valley, and at first the conservative and slightly critical man is astonished by their lustful aggression and their interactions with the spirits of the desert. As he comes to know them better, eh is welcomed into the group and taken under the wing of their leader. By the end of the tale, though he still sees them as barbaric and alien, Fiusus has come to understand and respect Vangesh customs, which he details upon his return to the Seminarium. He seems especially intrigued by the Vangesh interest in light and reflection, and discusses the Vangesh poetry of reflection and optical mythology.

Maybe now that we're versed in Vangesh customs, those at the embassy will be more receptive.

I wish to speak with the ambassador.

acloakrhesos.jpg
You wish to speak to the ambassador, do you? And what business brings you?

I bear a gift, and by the law of sand he cannot turn me away.

That's one of the things I like about this game. If you think for a second and do some detective work, gathering information bit by bit, you can make progress. It's one of those elements that I'm glad VD says will be prominent in AoD.

acloakrhesos.jpg
You have studied our ways. The law of which you speak says the gift must come from fire vine or cave or be a flock of thirty banaidwe. Since I hear no baying and none have seen a benaidwe since the night when Mutamin departed with the herds of the Falel Ghul some thousand years past, I do not think that you have a thirst flock at your disposal. Do you bring gifts from fire vine or cave?

No.

acloakrhesos.jpg
Then you bear no gift.

Goodbye.

Fire vine or cave, eh? Maybe we can find something to use as a gift later, along with something that the Vangesh will be useful for.

Now, why don't we go back to the main quest for a bit, since it was two updates ago that we saw it last. To the Barrier, to pick up the necklace that Deba asked us to return to Genwen.

Here's the map of the Barrier.

The spot in the Southeast is Nader's home. He's the Watcher's agent in the area.

We're from the Watcher.

Jacob is it? Good to meet you. I'm afraid I have little information regarding the Rebellion. Quite honestly I've had little time to give it thought with all that's been happening in the Barrier. At best I may be able to offer you some advice.

Can you mark Barrier locations on our map?

Certainly. There you go.

What's your advice?

First and foremost, stay away from the northside. You'll find nothing but morons and hooligans there. You'll also want to make sure to dress properly. I know you serve the greater good, but no unsuspecting citizen with a modicum of repute will speak to you unless you have the right attire.

What do I need?

Most importantly you need to wear a Head Piece. They're fabulous. You can purchase one at Barrier Wears. Once you get yourself dressed properly you may want to speak with Alec. He hasn't much to do but make sure his house is in order when his wife comes home, so has plenty of time to gossip. Pick his brain for all it's worth.

What's going on in the Barrier.

Many of the locals are sick and the doctors are clueless as to why. The famed doctor Crallius himself came from the citadel to help Darien. His wife Saspina is obiously very worried. Linton is in even worse shape.
Nina's house was vandalized recently. I was mortified to find that nearly all of her belongings were destroyed. Luckily neither Nina or her husband were home at the time, or her possessions probably wouldn't have been the only things broken.
I was not fond of Nina. I have made my opinion on that matter abundantly clear. With a stroke of a pen she nearly doubled the taxes of all serious landowners. Still I don't think I know anyone who would go to such an extent for revenge.

Goodbye.

So the rich people in the Barrier have had their taxes raised by Nina. Nina's home was then ransacked. And it would seem there's some class issues in the Barrier, what with the north-south division and the suggestion that hooligans live in the north while those in the south prefer not to speak with one whose hat is inappropriate.

Outside of Nader's home there is a fountain and a woman standing beside it.

We talk.

Hello.

Kaliso looks you up and down. Clearly she is not impressed by your physique. She shakes her head and sighs. No no no . . . you won't do at all.

What?

Oh nothing, don't mind me.

Goodbye.

You mean chicks don't dig nerdy nature-lovers? Maybe they like big jocks.

Hello.

Kalisco examines you closely. She smiles in approval. My, you are a strong one. Just what I am looking for.

What are you talking about?

Oh dear, that didn't sound good. It's nothing like that. Ah, well perhaps I should start again. My name is Kalisco, I'm a scholar from the Academy. My research brought me down here. Since leaving the Academy I've been stalked by wild beasts and robbed by bandits, many times. I was even robbed and assaulted twice within the Barrier walls. I still have much to see and learn in the Valley though, but I dare not go alone. So essentially if you have room for me, I'm asking for an escort.

What are your skills?

Obviously I'm not much of a fighter. I know a couple of rituals as taught by the academy, but my intellect and ability to get on with others are my greatest assets.

Sure come with us.

She won't be very useful in combat, and I'm kicking myself for investing any skill points into literacy and lore with my druid since Kalisco can handle that skill. But she could come in handy because she's a Thaumaturgist. So going back to the academy with her sounds like a good idea.

But first, we need to go to the Gem shop to pick up that necklace for Genwen.

The owner is inside.

Hello.

Good day, sir. What can I help you with today?

I am here to collect the necklace.

You know . . . THE necklace.

Deba said she would send payment but none has appeared. That'll be 50 drachs please.

This Rebellion organization better accept my receipts and reimburse me. Just who's running this thing?

Pay 50 Drachs.

Thank you. Here's the necklace.

Goodbye.

My leader doesn't have the appropriate high-class hat, so this is how the people in the gem shop speak to him:

Anyway, back to Land's End.

We talk to Genwen.

Hello.

What can I do for you?

I want to talk about Deba's letter.

Have you spoken with Deba yet?

She sent me to the Barrier to pick up this necklace. She said you would want it.

Indeed I do, thank you. We may have need of you for another service, are you interested?

What is it?

The Guardians of Land's End relay orders by means of their courier Lykomedes. We have fabricated a set of false orders that you are to swap with the real orders Lykomedes is now carrying. Once you have the genuine orders, you should destroy them. Subtlety is of paramount importance for success in this endeavor. Genwen hands you some papers.
Try the Treefort inn. From what I here, he enjoys his beer.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this?

Well you could just kill him and switch the documents, but if there was no obvious reason why he was killed that would probably look suspicious. You're resourceful, I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard for you to figure something out.

Goodbye.

We head to the Treefort inn. This dude is sitting at one of the tables.

What do you do here?

I'm a scholar. I am working on a project for the Academy library. Something that will have lasting literary importance. My partner Sirian and I were cataloguing the legends of the People of the River. We were working as a team. Sirian refuses to acknowledge my work and has taken the book for herself. If you want to help me, get the completed book away from here and give it to me. I can submit it and ensure my efforts are rewarded.

Goodbye.

Maybe we'll try to find her later. But we see Lykomedes at a table. We buy some beers and start talking.

Hello.

Oh hello. It's good to have a bit of time to rest my weary feet. too bad I'm running short on cash. Yep. I sure could use a cold beer right about now. Lykomedes looks at you.

How about a drink on me?

Lykomedes takes a swig of the beer. Ah. That's much better.

Would you like another?

Ahhh . . . delicious. Lykomedes seems a bit more at ease, less on edge, less perceptive . . .

Would you like another?

Why is it that the third always tastes better than the second? Lykomedes hiccups and burps.

Would you like another?

You're too kind friend. Lykomedes seems a tiny bit more at ease, less on edge, less perceptive . . .

Would you like another?

He drinks the last one and passes out. My thief, with her adequate pickpocket skill, switches the documents. We head back to Genwen to report.

Hello.

What can I do for you?

I want to talk about the false orders.

What about them?

I performed the switch.

Excellent. Let us hope that the Guardians are none the wiser. You have accomplished much in the Rebellion's name. Your next task will be to fight fire with fire.

What is it?

We wish to strike the most potent symbol of Cinder domination. We wish to strike at the Temple of the Flame. Unfortunately the Temple itself is made of stone and it would be too difficult to destroy. The altar, however, is another story. Genwen picks up a small paper packet and hands it to you. This packet is filled with a mixture of explosive powder. Use it to destroy the altar.

Was this what you were eluding to when you said the warehouse burning would pale by comparison?

No . . . the desecration and destruction of the altar is but a stepping stone on our path.

Goodbye.

Stay tuned to see a temple get bombed.

Fezzik

Cipher
When I finish this thing up, would anyone be interested in being able to download the savegames from various points in the game? I ask because I imagine there might be some who got to some point in the game in the past and would like to finish it, but don't want to go all the way through the game and the crashes again to get to whatever point they'd like to start at.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
This is awesome, keep up the good work! Someone should post this at SA and all the other loser-forums since nobody in those places has the patience of LP'ng this gold mine. GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

Fezzik

Cipher
We've been given orders to incinerate the altar at the Land's End temple. We head there to case it.

We speak to the priestess.

No.

acloakrhesos.jpg
Oh good, I'm starving. Just place it on the table, thanks.

Goodbye.

Yes, that's right. If you remember, we met a man at the Treefort Inn earlier who was going to deliver food to the temple but couldn't because he was hurt and limping. And not only that, but we purchased banderwillow from the ironwood sisters, which is a potent sleeping agent. Since it turns out that the priestess Kalliope will not leave the temple for anything short of being told that we're from the Watcher, which is awfully confidential information, drugging her is the best option.

This particular quest aggravated some people. In particular, the fact that the quest to deliver food to the temple was given to the player first, so most players had done it already. Note, however, that having already completed the food delivery quest does not stop progress in the game. The player simply has to choose, do they bomb the temple with the priestess inside, killing her in the process, or tell her you're from the Watcher, exposing yourself to the Rebellion.

Here's a link to an ITS thread involving this quest.

We head back to the Treefort Inn and talk to Mairo.

Hello.

Can I get you something? You notice Mairo walks with a bit of a limp.

I noticed you were limping and grimacing in pain.

Yeah, I twisted my ankle and have been trying to let it heal. It's proving problematic because I need to deliver some food over to the Temple. We deliver meals to the Priestess, Kalliope.

I can deliver the food.

That's awfully kind of you. We can arrange for a free meal in return for your services. The food should be delivered to Kalliope at the Temple.

Goodbye.

With the food and the banderwillow in hand, we are able to put them together.

So we head back to the Temple to get business done.

No.

acloakrhesos.jpg
Oh good, I'm starving. Just place it on the table thanks.

Here you are.

acloakrhesos.jpg
Who would have believed I was so hungry?

With the food in her system, the drugs take effect.

With the priestess out like a light, the party drags her out of harms way.

With everything in place, we bomb the Temple.

We head back to report our success to Genwen.

Hello.

What can I do for you?

The altar has been destroyed.

So I heard. You've done well. Destroying their altar should show the Children that we aren't to be taken lightly. Your actions have impressed quite a few people in our organization. If you wish to continue on your path, you're to go see Bargilof. Good luck.

Where can I find Bargilof?

During the day he'll be in the Glade. But I doubt it will be possible to converse with him discretely under the nose of Ciwdwr, the druid he serves. You could try him in the evening at his house. It's in Land's End West, southwest of the town square, overlooking the Stairs.

Goodbye.

So, once evening comes, we make our way south to Bargilof's home.

Hello.

Hello, friend.

Genwen sent me.

Through various means the Rebellion has managed to make a number of important officials sympathetic to our needs, but Aslof, the Mayor of Land's End has proven uncooperative. Neither coercion nor promises of wealth have managed to sway him. Consequently we need for him to vacate his position so his replacement, who is more sympathetic to our cause, can come to power. Aslof's office is in the Meeting House in the center of town.

Is this part of the plan that Genwen alluded to?

No, but this thorn has been sticking in my side for some time now, and I wish for you to pluck it.

So I can kill him?

You can, but the Guardians will track you down and you'll hang. We can't shelter you from their wrath. However, if you could do it and make it look like an accident . . .

Isn't Aslof a river person?

Don't bother me with trivialities.

Goodbye.

Awfully suspicious business, this. A high-ranking member of the Riverfolk Rebellion is asking us to kill, or at least remove, a Riverblood.

The Meeting House is across town. We converse with Aslof, the mayor.

Hello.

Hello there.

What is your job?

Ha! Not from these parts, eh? Your talking to the Mayor of Land's End. I'm a very busy man I'm afraid.

You say that with sadness.

Oh, I love my work, but I'm an old man and have served a long term. I'd like to step down and spend more time with my family, but I cannot. I have an outstanding debt that needs to be reconciled.

Who do you owe money to?

A man named Broemas. He's from Land's End West and lives northwest of the Treefort Inn. I can't really say much about it, the details embarrass me.

Tell me about the Animal Trophies.

I do at times enjoy the hunt. Although my wife has forbidden me to go as of late.

Here one solution to this "removing the mayor" business would be to invite Aslof to go hunting with the party and then let him have an unfortunate "hunting accident." We'll choose not to do that, though.

Goodbye.

Recalling that Nacippe of House Flam told us to pick up a box from Ianassa at the Rest House in Land's End, we ought to take care of that.

Nacippe sent me to pick up the box.

Thank the Flame. Every day that it remained with me, I grew more worried. She hands you a metal box which is covered in ornate gilding. The lock looks very impressive.

What's in the box?

I have no idea, and you would do well to curb your curiosity. Nacippe has given strict instructions to not, under any circumstances, try to open the box. Now hurry back, the old woman is no doubt anxious to have her precious box.

Goodbye.

Mysterious box with important stuff inside. We'll probably just give it to Nacippe, but if you want to see what's inside, I can arrange it. Not in this update, though.

Let's talk to Broemas, the man who is owed money by the mayor Aslof.

Hello.

Broemas is looking mournfully at a picture of a pretty young woman. He looks up at you. Did you want something?

That's a very nice picture.

Yes, it is a portrait of my wife. It was commissioned shortly before she left. She was a beautiful, but unhappy woman. She ran away to the Barrier and took our son with her. I've tried to find them there for years, but to no avail. The boy must be twenty now. It's been so long.

I want to talk about Aslof's debt.

Yes?

Is there anyway to settle his debt?

Yes you can pay the 5000 drachs.

We don't have that kind of money.

Goodbye.

Since solving Aslof's money problems to get him to retire is at an impasse, why don't we check out the Thaumaturgical studies at the academy. Note that from now on, Kalisco will be the party's speaker.

We enter Glauke's home to talk about learning from the Academy.

I'm looking for training.

Are you a practitioner of the thaumaturgical arts?

Yes.

The Academy can only teach to those who have enrolled. The price of enlightenment is 50 drachs.

Is there no other way?

If you believe yourself to be exceptional, you can try the Guantley of Riddles.

What is the Gauntlet of Riddles?

I shall ask you a series of riddles. Each riddle that I give you will be progressively harder.

Let's begin.

It ate everything that came and everything that will and still it never gets its fill.

A grave.

A house and room full, yet couldn't catch a spoonful.

Smoke.

Who do I see coming through the sea
But the toy of the sun
A man with a blue cloak
And a red thread in his tunic

I don't know.

I guess Kalisco isn't smart enough.

The gauntlet was established to help find the exceptional. I'm afraid you will need to pay the tuition.

Pay 50 drachs to enroll.

Glauke gladly accepts the drachs. First I will teach you one of our most basic rituals.
It takes Glauke an hour to teach you the Sharpen Weapon ritual.

He then sends us off to the top Thaumaturgist, Girian.

What do you do here?

Do? I school students in the art of ritual magic.

Glauke sent me to you.

Ah, a new student, and eager to learn new rituals I suppose? I think we should begin with a simple ritual that's quite effective in altering the properties of armor pieces to make them harder and more durable. But before we go on I must ask you. Which is harder, the stone or the paper?

The stone.

Good. I was worried about you for a second. You'd be surprised how many people get that one wrong. The ritual requires an oil which is to be extracted from a neblii-mantis carapace. Bring me a carapace and we should have enough oil for you to learn the ritual.

If you answer "The paper" instead of "The stone," Girian will refuse to teach you.

Tell me about the neblii-mantis.

I know they have a nest to the southwest of the Academy. Besides that, I don't know much about them. I haven't exactly dedicated my time to the study of bugs. I'd imagine Kleio knows a fair amount about them, though. She's our local fauna expert. If you wish to speak to her you can find her in her quarters.

Goodbye.

We go into the nest, squish a few bugs, and get the carapace.

We return to Girian.

In regards to the harden armor ritual.

Yes?

I have the carapace.

Then let us begin.
You and Girian spend the next hour extracting the oil from the shells. When you have the oil he teacher you the incantation for performing the hardening ritual and improves your thaumaturgical skill.
Very good. As you can see the extraction of the oil is a difficult and laborious process. If you wish to attempt this ritual in the future, you should purchase mantis oil from Sallio. He can be found right at the entrance to the campus on the road from Land's End. come speak with me again when you're ready to learn your next ritual.

Eager to learn, we talk to him again.

You had mentioned another ritual?

The next thing I will teach you is a celerity ritual. It can be very powerful, especially when used on a weapon. Ludenius, another of my pupils, is working on collecting components. Help him and return. You can try finding him in the courtyard.

Goodbye.

Ludenius is standing by a statue in the courtyard.

We talk.

Girian sent me to assist.

I'm in trouble. I was practicing an incantation and it erased my memory. I have been able to figure out that I am a student, but not much more than that. You can't tell the teachers, I'm no good to them if I have fogotten my lessons.

How can I help?

I need things that will help me remember who I am, maybe some stuff from my room?

Where is your room?

I don't remember.

Stay here, I'll see what I can do.

Ok.

Goodbye.

We head to the dormitory. In Ludenius' room we find a recipe book . . .

A letter from his father in the Barrier . . .

And his diary is locked away in his cabinet, which my thief manages to unlock.

We find a particular recipe inside the recipe book.

Here's what we find in his diary.

We'd like to make the food from the recipe book, so we swing by Sallio's store to pick up some ingredients.

And we head to the oven for the dorms, cooking the cake.

We head back to Ludenius hoping to stimulate his memory.

Would your journal help?

Thank you.

Do you remember anything now?

Hmmm . . . This is my journal . . . No, nothing is clear yet.

Cake from your recipe book?

Oh sure, thank you. He takes the cake and takes an experimental bite. This is really good. He obviously likes the first bite, and quickly devours the remaining cake.

Do you remember anything now?

Hmmm . . . That's my favorite cake . . . This is my journal . . . Wait!

Yes?

It's all coming back to me. I remember now. Thank you very much. Now I'm sure you didn't come into the caves just to help me with my memory problems. What can I do for you?

Girian said you were collecting components for a celerity incantation?

Oh yes. The spore from the Elwin mushroom. I collected a box full of them. I stashed the box in my secret hiding place nearby. You can have the box with the spores. I'm not ready to try that spell just yet.

Goodbye.

If we hadn't had a thief in the party to get Ludenius' diary out of the cabinet, we still could have completed this quest by tracking down his father. That is, there are three things you use to jog his memory and any two will cure his amnesia.

We take the spores from Ludenius' secret hiding place and return to Girian for some thaumaturgical training.

In regards to the Swift Weapon Ritual.

Yes?

I have the spore.

Excellent. First we must convert the spore into elwin powder, which also can be purchased from Sallio. Let us begin. Now the elwin mushroom has the fastest growth rate of any fungi found in the Valley . . .
You suffer through a long lecture about fungus, but in the end are rewarded with the knowledge of how to perform the celerity ritual. Your thaumaturgical skill improves.
Come speak with me again when you're ready to learn your next ritual.

The eager students return.

There was another ritual?

The spines of the river dragon release a venom that causes short-term paralysis in its prey. There is a ritual that we have that duplicates the effect. The last time Kleio was collecting fallen spines, she noticed that the dragon was laying eggs. We have decided to breed our own dragons to better study them. Bring me back the dragon eggs, and I will teach you the ritual.

Tell me about river dragons.

I don't know much beyond the fact that the nest with the eggs is somewhere in Land's End. If you wish to learn more, Kleio is our fauna expert.

Goodbye.

Off to the River Dragon Lair.

Once inside, there are several dragons. When they decide to eat us, we show them why we're on the top of the food chain.

And then we steal their young.

We return to Girian with the eggs.

In regards to the Paralyze Weapon ritual.

Yes?

I have the dragon eggs.

Kleio will be very pleased. The spines are boiled in water with other key ingredients to create a broth. The broth is distilled and thickened to create ink which is used to scribe the rune of paralysis on the weapon. The ink can be purchased from Sallio.
Now let us discuss the variable toxicity levels found in nature and juxtapose that discussion with the Xanthipe Lectures on states of paralysis . . .
By the end of the long lecture you feel confident in your ability to apply the paralyzation enchantment to weapons. Your thaumaturgy skill also increases.

That's all of the thaumaturgy there is to learn at the Academy: Sharpen weapon, harden armor, swift weapon, and paralyze weapon.

We go to Sallio's shop to pick up some ingredients so that we can use what we've learned when the occasion arises.

And now that we're done with the thaumaturgy shop, why don't we talk to Tinema, the Watcher's agent in Land's East. Earlier Lond told us that he didn't trust her and we haven't looked into it yet.

Here she is.

Hello.

Hello.

The Watcher sent me.

You came at an opportune time. I need your help to find someone. He is a dangerous man named Mirilich. He stole materials that are sensitive to the Watcher's cause, and murdered an innocent man. Because of what he stole, going to the Guardians isn't an option. Mirilich has threatened to kill me, and I fear that he is soon going to make good on that promise.

Do you know where he is.

When last my people followed him, we was going into the caves beneath the area north of Land's End. I'll mark it on your Valley Map. My network is not large enough to scour the underground in its entirety, but now that you're here you can take over the exploration. If you think you can kill him do so. Otherwise report his location to me and I will be able to send people to deal with him. If you need help find someone with a red cap. They work for me.
The other agent in Land's End West remains anonymous to me. He is in great danger from this assassin. I am on my way across the river as I have business to attend to at the Treefort Inn. Since I'm going to be there, I can just go speak with him. But in order to do that I must know who he is. Do you know his identity?

I don't know actually.

Yeah, I don't trust her yet.

Well if I find out, I'll point him out to you. I'm sure that you are going to need all the help you can get.

I'll see what I can do about Mirilich.

Be careful, Mirilich has a silver tongue, and if you let him speak, he will try to sway you with falsehoods.

Goodbye.

We head up to some caverns in Land's End. But on our way, we have a random encounter with a thaumaturgist and his golem.

And we reach the cavern.

Next time we'll see about finding Mirilich, and see about doing some stuff in the Barrier.

Fezzik

Cipher
The first two installments are now using imageshack instead of photobucket, so they're viewable. I'll try to get to the other two some time during the week.

Fezzik

Cipher
Last time, Tinema told us that a man named Mirilich was looking to assassinate agents of the Watcher and that he had last been spotted heading underground. We made our way to the caverns of Land's End and are now exploring.

As the party pulls further into the cave, they begin to hear sounds ahead.

It's someone moving around in the shadows.

Finally, we come upon the man.

With him cornered, we talk to him.

What exactly are you talking about?

Let's just say the only discourse the last couple of visitors have offered were cries of "Here's how we deal with those that steal from the Rebellion" or "Taste my blade, traitor!" Or similar blather. Very cliche stuff actually. I've come to expect better from assassins. But as banal as these battle cries are, they were informative. They let me know that those sent to kill me don't actually know why the Rebellion is trying to kill me. Which makes sense because I don't either.

What's your involvement with the Rebellion?

I was hired by the Rebellion to steal something from the Academy, and the only payment I received for my services was a knife in my partner's back and a terrifying pursuit through the night. So if you're here to avenge against wrongs performed against the Rebellion, you're killing me for the wrong reasons.

But you did threaten to kill an agent of the Watcher.

What? I don't know any blasted Watcher's agents. And the only people I've threatened to kill were the cloaked figures who butchered my partner. So if one of them was a damned agent of the Watcher you can give them my sincerest fucking apologies.

Sounds like you have a story that needs telling from the start.

Mirilich takes a deep breath and sizes you up. His hand wanders to his dagger, touching it briefly. Eventually he sighs and begins his tale. I was hired to steal a particular dagger from the Academy. When my partner and I went to the rendezvous point to drop off and collect our drachs we were beset by a number of people in red caps. I was able to escape into the night. Teemis made it as far as the cave entrance before he succumbed to his wounds.

How were you able to get into the Academy?

Mirilich smiles. I have my ways.

What are your plans now?

I was planning on hiding here in the caves, but if you can find me here, then they can find me here. I need to get out of Lands End. If I can get on the road to Kellen I should be safe. All the roads near Land's End are being watched though.

Stay here, I'll see what I can do.

I'm not really afforded much choice in the matter.

Goodbye.

If what he's saying is true, then Tinema is lying and likely works with the Rebellion. We need to get to the bottom of this. And to do that we have to get Mirilich out of here. First, let's send Kalisco off to wait for us in the Citadel.

Then bring Mirilich into the fold.

Invite Mirilich to join.

He smiles. So you're my very own Nexus beast, eh? Here to shepherd me down the path to safety. I'm grateful.

On our way out of the cavern, we're surrounded by assailents.

After they're dispatched, on the head of one of their corpses there's a red hat. In other words, these men worked for Tinema.

So the group takes it to her doorstep.

Him! You brought him here?!?

He is under my protection Tinema.

Then his corpse will grow cold next to yours. Tinema's skin begins to fall away . . .

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Tinema changes into something else, something strong and inhuman.

The group tears her a new asshole and Mirilich says he'd like to stick around.

We have other plans, however. There is already a thief that suits our needs, so we'll dump him and pick Kalisco up.

Before reaching the Citadel, however, we make a couple of stops. First up, why don't we check-in with the Watcher?

We've made contact with the Rebellion.

Wonderful. You've done quite well so far. I understand you discovered and confronted Jactus's killer. I was glad to hear that my friend had been avenged. But on to the business at hand. Has the Rebellion given you any tasks to perform.

Tell him about the plot to remove the mayor.

Perhaps you could convince Aslof to step down. The alternative is obviously unacceptable, so see what you can do.

We've learned that an ancient dagger was stolen from the Academy.

That is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebellion is involved. You should definitely continue looking into this. What have you managed to learn about it so far?

Explain.

You explain what you've learned about the dagger. The Watcher thinks for a moment and then speaks. Go to the Academy and see what you can learn about it. It may provide us with some connection to the Rebellion.

I'd like to talk about something else.

Very well. What was it you wanted to talk about?

Tinema attacked us and we were forced to kill her.

The Watcher shakes his head. She must have been a part of the Rebellion all along. I thought I knew her better than that. I suppose it's better that we found out about her sooner rather than later. I'm sure you only did what you had to.

Goodbye.

Our next stop on the way to the Citadel is Kellen. Verugi imperiously commanded us to bring him milk from Land's End last time. Why don't we see if we can deal with that?

We go to the local baker and buy some milk.

And we visit Verugi . . .

Yes, here it is.

Verugi snatches the milk, takes a sip, and let's out a massive belch. He looks at you suspiciously. Where is this milk from?

Land's End.

Hmm . . . it certainly doesn't taste like it. Are you certain this milk is from Land's End?

Yes.

So would it be untrue to say that this milk is not from someplace other than Land's End?

No.

Verugi takes another sip of the milk and wrinkles his nose in thought. Well, what if I told you that this milk is definitely not from Land's End?

That makes no sense, you'd be wrong which is impossible.

That's a passed intelligence check, by the way.

Good work, Footlicker. Now that that's out of the way, I will require a Vangesh bow. I'd imagine The Barrier is the best place to look. Well, what are you standing here for? Go!

So with that done, we stop by the Citadel to pick up Kalisco.

On our way out of the Citadel, we stop by a blacksmith's shop.

Hello.

Hello there.

Who are you?

I am . . . was . . . the greatest blacksmith in the Citadel. Who pray-tell are you?

A little conceited there, are we?

Why are you no longer the greatest blacksmith?

I have retired.

Why have you retired?

I'm no longer inspired by my work. I realized that I've reached the zenith of my skill, and that my work is far inferior to that of my mentor. Alves of Kellen is the Valley's greatest living blacksmith. I can never match skill with him or his cold steel, so I've stopped trying.

Cold steel?

From iron ore he can produce the most wonderful steel weapons in the Valley. He calls it 'Cold Steel'.

Is there anything we can do?

No, I don't see that there is anything to be done. I appreciate the offer, however.

Have you considered changing professions?

At my age? You know what they say about old lupins . . . No, I'm comfortable financially, so I'll just quietly fade into retirement. Not sure what I'll do with myself though. Probably wait until I get bored and then walk the Stairs.

Goodbye.

Maybe we'll see what we can do towards giving him "inspiration" later.

In the streets outside, we see an old woman.

Hello.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really in the mood to receive guests. Janasta sighs, looking old and weary. There is, however, a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

What's the matter?

If you really want to know, I'm dying and it is my last wish to Walk the Stairs. My problem is that the Valley has become so dangeous I don't think I could make it on my own. I don't have any living family to help me make the journey, and my friends are as old as I am.

In case you were wondering what these references to "walking the Stairs" are about . . .

Why do you want to Walk the Stairs?

You are either having a laugh at an old woman's expense, or your parents have seriously neglected you studies. Many People of the River, when they near the end of their lives, return to the Goddess by walking down the Endless Stairs. Normally your family escorts you, and sees you off, but I have no surviving family, and none of my friends are capable of the trip.

Goodbye.

Our next stop is the Barrier, since a lot of stuff seems to be going on there and we have yet to explore it much.

Once inside the Barrier, Barrier Wears gets some of our business: we need a hat to look fashionable to the plutocrats.

We talk to a passer-by.

Hello.

Meila looks impatient. I'm waiting for my fiancee, we're visiting from out of town, and he was supposed to meet me here. I hate to be a bother, but if you see Dinali, could you tell him that I'm waiting for him?

Sure.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

We'll keep our eyes peeled.

Standing beside a statue, a man gives a lecture.

Aufinius appears to be in the middle of a speech. Occasionally, in the rare instance that someone does not know who I am, I am asked who I am. Not surprisingly I always answer the same way, I say I am Aufinius. A statement that, in and of itself, is essentially meaningless. What is Aufinius? Does anyone here know what the word Aufinius means? It means boar slayer. Now I have never killed boar, nor do I ever plan on killing a boar. I rather like boars actually . . .

The word Aufinius is merely a string of sounds that was assigned to me by my parents to distinguish me from all the other runts. So the word Aufinius is then merely a signifier that signifies me. Hardly an answer to the question "who am I?" Who am I? is the matter that I mean to discuss. Who are we, and what is it that makes us the way that we are? What makes a man? What determines who we are . . .

What is the essence of the self? Is it the flameblood that rushes through my veins that determines my temperament, my character, my very nature? My visage is sculpted in the image of my father and his father before him. Is this visage who I am, or is it merely a mask, covering the self? This mask is how others see me, so is who I am shaped by how they, how you, see me?

Is the only self the ones the others see and hear? Am I a rash and impetuous person, because people see me as that way? To put it another way, do we only exist in reflection? Or do we exist at all, or are we merely characters in some play, with every action we take preordained, every word we speak scripted? All crafted by some outside hand, some master force. What would that force be, the Flame, the Void, or something beyond even them . . .

Blah blah blah . . . I want to give you the full Prelude to Darkness experience including the pretentious philosophers.

Moving on, There is a man standing by a statue with a gloomy look on his face. Here is how he responds to a flameblood in my party:

Hello.

Laaro looks at you with contempt. Leave me alone.

If we speak to him with a Riverblood, however . . .

Hello.

Every time that I see this statue I find something else to be disgusted about. Don't you understand the message behind it?

Yes.

It's good to see someone understands. This thing is an insult. It's a constant reminder that we are not as important. We're supposed to bow down to the flame because Tius drove out the Vangesh, thousands of years ago? It's nonsense. Things have changed since then, and I think it's about time we stopped celebrating this butcher. I'm glad someone had the courage to steal his spear. I wish I'd thought of it.

Do you know who might have taken it?

No I wish I did. I'd like to give them a medal or something.

Goodbye.

Here's one of the busier areas of the Barrier. It's an expensive restaurant with a long waiting list to get in.

Sally the thief is running low on arrows, so we stop by Barrier Arms. While there, we meet a hunter.

Excuse me.

Borus sounds agitated. Hunter?

Yes, I like to hunt every now and then.

Borus looks you up and down and smirks. Clearly he is not impressed by your physique. Aren't you a little small to be hunting, darling?

I can hold my own.

Mmm . . . feisty. I like your spirit woman, you should come hunting with us sometime.

When?

We leave here at six or so in the morning everyday. So if you show up, you can join us. Unless of course that's too early for you.

I'll see you at six.

Good. See you then.

In the courtyard for a high-class neighborhood, we meet a woman.

Hello.

I cannot believe I ran out of money so quickly. There are so many wonderful things to buy around here that I just couldn't help myself. I came here to assist Crallius. Hopefully he'll lend me some money. If he doesn't give me any, I don't know what I'll do. Say you're no interested in hiring my servicest are you?

No, I'm not that kind of person.

Una blushes. Oh my, I didn't . . . I think we've had a little misunderstanding. I didin't mean that at all. I meant that I might offer some medical training to your group for a fee.

What's the fee?

I really couldn't be bothered to do it for less than 25 drachs. Is that alright with you?

Sure.

After only an hour of intense work, party members who had initially been medically trained have improved a bit. That was productive! But I'm afraid that's all I can teach you. May your travels be pleasant.

Goodbye.

That means Nylis' medical skill is better than it was, i.e. not that great but no longer downright pitiful.

Next stop, we see a friendly old lady standing by her home.

Hello madam.

Marta holds a freshly baked pie. It smells delicious. Ah, visitors! Greetings children, you're new to the Barrier aren't you? I'm Marta, and welcome to my home. I've just baked some delicious berry pie, would you like some?

No thank you.

Ah well, perhaps later then.

What do you do here Marta?

I'm essentially retired at this point but I still own a large piece of land in the market. The vendors rent the land from me to set up their booths. You should stop by there when you get the chance. You can get some fine bargains on some very nice things.
I wonder if you travelers might be willing to do me a tiny little favor?

What kind of favor?

Aren't we suspicious little goslings? It's just that a friend of mine has gone missing. Now, he's not the most reliable fellow and he's been known to disappear now and again, but it's been so long since I've heard from him that, well, I can't help but worry. I am a wealthy woman and my peace of mind is worth a great deal to me, so you could expect a most handsome reward. What do you say? You can't put your finger on it, but there is something not quite right about this woman.

That last part is from an intelligence check, I think. As you can see, intelligence checks come up a lot in this game.

Yes.

Now don't go find him youself, he's very shy and doesn't respond to strangers well. Just find out where he is and come let me know. Please hurry, I fear he might have gotten himself into some kind of trouble and might need my help.

If you recall, Lucien of House Char became sick some time after visiting the Barrier and there is a wave of strange fevers spreading through the Barrier. Here's the wife of one of the victims of the illness.

Hello.

Syr is wearing around her neck an uncut gem crudely fashioned into a necklace. I am sorry. My husband Linton is very ill, it is probably not the best time for a visit.

That is a very nice necklace.

Thank you for noticing. Most people around here don't appreciate the beauty of an uncut gem.

Why did you leave the gem uncut?

Because it was a special gift from the River Goddess. On the day I had lost all hope for my husband, my son Dell was out playing and came back with this gem. He says that out of nowhere he saw it peeking up fom the ground. The Goddess delivered this symbol to us so that we might know that everything will be alright. You see?

Of course, where's Dell?

Oh he is at school right now. It's the wooden building south of here. His teacher Erynne is quite marvelous.

What's wrong with Linton?

The doctors call it "the fever," they don't know what it is. I would prefer not to talk about it. I am confident that our faith in the Goddess will carry us through these difficult times.

Please, jsut a bit more about the disease.

Syr begins to weep softly. Please . . . please, leave me.

Let's stop by the school to talk to her son, Dell.

Hello.

When I grow up, I'm going to be just like Adrius! The greatest swordsman in the entire land!

Did you give your mother that big gem?

Yeah I sure did. It's pretty isn't it?

Where did you find it?

I couldn't sleep much one day so I got up and was playing just outside the barrier gate. Near that big tree and stuff. I saw something shiny sticking out of the road. Zito, the street sweeper was right there so I waited until he turned his back and then I grabbed it.

Have your found more?

No, I just found that one. I tried sneaking out early a couple of times to look again, but Zito is always there. I wish I had some more though. I bet I could sell 'em for tons of money and stuff. I'd be rich.

Maybe we should talk to Zito or look around to see if we can find some gems. For what purpose at this point, though, I don't know.

While we're walking down the street, this young man grabs us.

What's the matter?

My parents are in trouble! When my dad was out he brought back fuzzy. And now my whole family is being . . . Please, we need to hurry!

Fine, we'll come with you.

Come on, we must hurry!! You dash after Eian.

We follow him back to his home, where there is a wild animal inside.

And here our druid's nature skill comes in handy.

And the Goddess is happy with our party's action, giving the druid a new spell.

This guy is walking around near a sewer entrance.

What's that pin for?

Oh, this stupid thing. You get this after being a public servant for a certain number of years. Me, I've been here for the long haul.

How long is that?

I have been living here for sixty-three years. Longer than anyone else I can think of. Most people have had the decency to move out or die, no such luck with me. The Barrier for all its faults is my home, and I can't see me finding another one.

What can you tell me about the Barrier?

A lot. I could talk for hours about the Barrier, so you just let me know if I'm boring you. A thousand or so years ago, The Valley was being invaded by the easterners. Things were looking pretty hopeless for the River Folk, until out of nowhere, well more precisely, from the underground caverns emerged a whole new race of people who called themselves the Children of the Flame.

Go on.

Where they came from, or how the blazes they ended up here, I have no stinking idea. But it's a good thing for the River Folk that they showed up when they did. You see the River Folk weren't naturally aggressive folks. They'd been living in the Valley for countless, in other words I have no idea how many, generations.

Go on.

A long time anyway, the Goddess knows how long. And they were a peaceful bunch, still are, but they were even more peaceful back then. Now the Vangesh were used to wandering the barren wastelands so when they found the lush and fertile Valley, they immediately wanted it for themselves. And the savages, due to tribal conflicts, were seasoned warriors.

Go on.

So the River Folk were pretty much down the Anar without a paddle before the Children of the Flame popped out of the Goddess knows where. The Children were a martial society. They had trained warriors, and priests who could harness the Flame to light their enemies on fire and stuff like that. So the Children agreed to help the River People in exchange for being allowed to live in the Valley.

Go on.

And help they did. Under the leadership of a brutally efficient warrior named Tius, the Children struck back against the savages. Fortunately for the Valley's rightful inhabitants, the Valley had the natural defense of its impassable cliffs. The army of the Children was able to force the savages out through the one entrance point to the Valley, and establish a stronghold to keep the interlopers out.

Go on.

That stronghold was called the Barrier Fortress, and it stands unaltered to this day. After several decades of attempting to storm the Barrier walls, the Vangesh surrendered and retreated. Many things changed in the centuries that followed, but the Barrier, the Barrier remained. For centuries any savage that dared approach the Barrier was shot full of arrows. It was about two centuries ago when we first let them in our walls, and began trade with them.

Go on.

About a hundred years ago, they were allowed to become citizens. My grandfather was alive to see that happen, and he railed against what he called "that dark day" until he died. Now I know that my grandfather's views would not be very popular in this day and age, but the man helped raise me, and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little of gramps here inside me.

Go on.

Now I don't have nothing against the Vangesh. I know that some of them aren't bad folks, but the fact is that the Barrier is going to the abyss, and no one but me seems to see it. The crime's getting worse and people are getting more desperate. We got what now, a couple of murders, some disappearances, a lot of anger between the north and the south, even some tension between the River folks and the Children.

Go on.

Now I'm not one to point fingers, but someone better figure out fast what's going on, and put an end to it. There now! I went and got myself all riled up there for a second. Ha! Nothing to get excited over. You've listened to me babble for quite long enough I suppose. I think I'll let you go now. Nice chatting with you. Although, I suppose I did most of the chatting, eh? Ha! Anyway goodbye now.

That concludes the history lesson for today. But we come back because we still want to ask about the sewers.

What's down there?

What's it smell like is down there, a bakery? It's the sewer. It's been smelling even worse than usual lately, didn't think it was possible. I wouldn't go down there if I were you, there are worse things down there than the smells . . .

What things?

Rats, vermin, some things that if they have a name I don't know what they are. Have a look for yourself if you like, but I gotta warn you, it's not pretty.

Goodbye.

We decide to head to a local tavern. Once we get through the door, there's some commotion with some dickweeds fucking with the waitress.

Here's how it happens:

Get me a drink wench.

That's right lady. Run your ugly little but over to the bar and get us some ale.

And be quick about it for Goddess sake.

I . . . I think you've all had enough. How about we settle your tab and call it a night?

The ruffian slaps the waitress Larna on the rear.

Olvo turns to his companions and they share a hearty laugh. Good one. Now enough joking, me and my friends want ale. Just for asking stupid questions, the next round's on the house.

We have some options with regard to how to handle this situation. It's clobberin' time.

I'll never back down from a match of fist to cuffs. Pick your best fighter.

We choose Diviana, since she's our unarmed expert.

The other party members step back as Diviana rolls up her sleeves and faces Olvo.

Take your best shot welp.

Diviana hits him squarely.

Olvo looks surprised.

Not bad. But let's see how you like this . . .

He hits her once, but . . .

What the?!?

She knocks the shit out of him.

Olvo staggers back.

Alright, enough already! I'll leave the waitress alone, alright? Just don't hit me anymore.

GIRL POWER!

Of course that wouldn't have worked if Diviana wasn't so skilled at unarmed combat.

Things settle down and the loudmouths leave.

Zito, the street cleaner, is in the corner of the room.

Watch it Zito!

Just kidding Dinea. Relax!

Have you noticed any gems in the road?

Nope, can't say that I have. Sorry I can't be more help.

But Dell told me that he found one.

Those kids are always fooling around there. Gems don't just grow out of the ground you know.

Do you know a man named Gram?

Nope can't say that I do.

Goodbye.

He's not especially helpful, is he?

At the bar, we spot Dinali, the man whose wife asked us to send him her way.

Hello.

Greetings stranger.

Meila is waiting for you.

Ah! I had forgotten. I had better leave now if I want to live until tomorrow. But I would hate for my drink to go to waste, so here! Enjoy! Thank you for the reminder. I am staying with Meila here at the Kaliyan. Do stop by and see us some time soon. I would like to repay you somehow.

We head to another bar and talk to a young man.

Hello.

Um . . . Hi . . .

You look depressed.

I lost my favorite locket. It has a picture of my mother. She died when I was very young. It fell down a well just outside of town. I thought I saw a cavern dweller down there. I didn't want to go and get it.

Goodbye.

We'll look into it.

Back at the other tavern, we talk to another denizen, hoping for some information. Note that we're using our druid because, being in the lower-class, doesn't like Kalisco's expensive hat.

Hello.

Hello yourself stranger. I don't think I've seen you here before. What are you, a southsider?

No.

Alright I guess you can stay then. What do you want?

Do you know a man named Gram?

Yeah, I knew him. Real tall and thin, with a lazy eye. Kind of strange fellow. He was always here with his two buddies, Nills and Corin. Haven't seen him around lately though. I think he still lives with his folks and his little sister somewhere east of the Kaliyan Inn.

Tell me about Nills.

You're new in town, huh? Nills wasn't the greatest guy, but I don't think he deserved what he got. They found him dead right outside this tavern. This mad Vangorii named Masseque who drank here all the time apparently sliced him up to pieces. He's in jail now, thank the goddess.

Who is Masseque?

Hey, I told everything I know to the Guards. I got nothin' more to say about him.

Tell me about Corin

Corin was a real quiet guy. He seemed to be spending less and less time with the other guys. There were rumors he had some girlfriend on the southside.

Who did people say was his girlfriend?

I don't know, you'll have to ask around. People say she has a brother who has a taste for Tarsh's ale. If you ask me it's all bakki crap. I seriously doubt one of those snobby wenches would be involved with someone like Corin.

What's your problem with southsiders?

Hah! You mean besides the fact that they're a bunch of snot nosed bastards who've never worked a day in their lives? They're too flaming busy looking down on everyone else to notice how worthless they are.

Fezzik

Cipher
Continued . . .

Why don't they work?

Inherited wealth. They don't work 'cause they don't have to. Makes 'em lazy and arrogant. They need someone to teach 'em a lesson.

Goodbye.

That gave us some leads on how to find Gram. But before any of that, we go to the old well outside the Barrier. There are indeed some cavern dwellers there. After they're dead, we get a locket from the well to take back to Vilmi.

Back at the tavern:

Hello.

Hello again.

In regards to your locket.

Yes?

I found it.

Bless you friend! My father gave my mother this locket when they got married. It didn't work out though, the marriage I mean. She ran away with me when I was just a child. She never said much about my father. Shorthly after we moved here, she grew very ill, and died. Anyway thanks for the locket back. Did I show you her picture? She really was quite striking.

So that means this is Broemas' kid.

Tell Vilmi about his father.

My father! You found him? I've been looking for him for years.

YOur father would love for you to visit him in Land's End.

Then I'll go see him at once.

And back in Land's End there's a heartfelt reunion.

Having done so much for Broemas, we talk to him again.

In regards to Aslof's debt.

Yes?

We reunited your family, can't you cancel the debt so Aslof can be with his?

Yes. I'm willing to do that. Consider it done.

And with our "everybody wins" outcome, the Goddess gives the druid another spell.

And with Aslof's debt annulled, we return hoping to coax him into retirement.

Hello.

Hello there.

In regards to your debt.

I said that I didn't want to speak of it.

Broemas has agreed to cancel your debt.

That is tremendous news. Thank you friend. I think I'll go home to begin enjoying a very relaxed life.

And so we may continue the main quest. When we rest for a while to get night to come, we're attacked by a sizeable force of bandits.

Since the two main fighters, Robert and Diviana, have made steady progress in their sword and unarmed skills, respectively, they have some new abilities.

Robert now has a spin attack with his sword, which is essentially a whirlwind attack that let's him strike every opponent around him.

And Diviana has the disarm attack, allowing her to take away her opponents weapon.

We head to Bargilof's home to report that Aslof is no longer the mayor.

Hello.

Hello, friend.

I want to talk to you about the Mayor.

Have you dealt with him?

He has abdicated.

Genwen had nothing but praise to speak of you. I can see why. You get results. If you are willing to undertake another endeavor I would have use of you.

What is it?

The Glade of the druid Ciwdwr is protected with a powerful enchantment. No weapon can enter the glade, but you are going to kill her, with my help of course. Although the magics that protect her prevent a weapon from being used. After months of experimentation and study I have determined that a weapon built from common, everyday items can pass the Glade's wards. Your task is to gather the weapon components.
The Ironwood Siter Ursto has one of the components, you can find her at her cottage. The local fisherman Senssi has another of them, he can usually be found at the docks. They have both been approached and are cognizant of their respective duties and needs for the Rebellion. Once you have collected the first two components meet me in the glade. I will provide you with the final piece, so that you can assemble the weapon and kill the druid.

This doesn't make any sense.

You don't have the luxury of understanding the grand scheme. Just know that killing Ciwdwr is instrumental to our success and stop asking questions.

Goodbye.

This is one of the big moments in the game. There's no way to pretend to kill Ciwdwr, or make Bargilof think she's dead, since he'll be there when the deed is done. So we have to choose, do we go through with it or not. Remember that there is no way in hell the Watcher would sanction killing Ciwdwr the druid.

Fezzik

Cipher
Blind Eye said:
Killer LP. Hope you can keep it going till the end. Very enjoyable read. Thanks.

I appreciate that.

I'll try to put up an update tomorrow. I'll be away on the weekend, so the next update after that will likely be early next week.

Fezzik

Cipher
Last time, Bargilof ordered us to kill the druid Ciwdwr in Land's End. To proceed with things, we need to pick up components for a weapon from a couple of people. The idea is that the glade in which Ciwdwr resides is magically warded to prevent weapons from entering. But if separate components for a weapon can be brought in, then a weapon could be assembled inside the glade.

The first component is in the possession of the Fisherman Senssi.

Let's see if he'll give it to us.

Hello.

Hello.

Bargilof sent me.

Ah yes. Rather strange this package with no name seems. Can't say I've ever built anything like it. Mind telling me what it's for?

We're constructing a bow to hunt Topi.

A grin of disbelief spreads across Senssi's face. Topi? You mean the helpless creatures that aren't a match for a child with rocks? I don't think so. I hope you'll understand if I just keep this package until I really find out what's going on. Too many strange things have been going on around here.

Please just give us the package.

Your words are less than convincing. No.

Failed speech check.

Goodbye.

When words fail, it's our thief's turn. We surreptitiously remove the component from his inventory and move on.

The second component belongs to the Ironwood sister Ursto.

Hello.

Hello little one.

Bargilof sent me.

Just remember, it is not what I give, but what you put in. Finer than gold is the metal you seek. That makes the poison, the metal, the vial, the magic. She gives you the second component for the crossbow.

Goodbye.

We make our way to the glade, Bargilof standing next to Ciwdwr.

Hello.

Did you obtain the necessary items?

Yes.

Take the necklace! Now finish the deed!

With all three components in hand, the crossbow is assembled.

And the moment of truth . . .

We get to choose who we will kill, Ciwdwr or Bargilof. For the purposes of the LP, we'll kill Bargilof.

Bargilof looks down at the bolt in his chest. Wha . . . It seems that the bolt's magic was created for a specific target, and it doesn't kill Bargilof. Instead Bargilof begins to transform.

And we have to kill the creature Bargilof has become, much like with Tinema.

Once he is dead, the Goddess contacts us.

And our druid Jacob is given new magic.

Here's what Ciwdwr has to say about this.

If, on the other hand, we had gone through with Ciwdwr's murder, here's what would have happened immediately following it.

The Goddess is none too happy with the slaying of her top druid.

And our druid suffers for it. Note that this is in fact redeemable -- our druid can regain his powers if he attempts to make up for his actions.

And Bargilof gives us new orders, thus beginning a branch in the plotline.

As a member of the Rebellion?

Yes, as a member of the Rebellion. Now go.

But Zephyros is a Child of the Flame.

Did I ask you to question my judgement?

Goodbye.

But, as I said, we're going to go with the "kill Bargilof, not Ciwdwr" choice. Before we get on with the main quest, let's go to the Barrier to do some things that we haven't gotten a chance to do.

When we arrive, it is very early. Remember that the last time we were in the Barrier, we were told by the boy Dell that he had found Uncut gems just outside the Barrier and that Zito was always around when he found them. Well here's Zito.

We try to be stealthy and follow him.

Unfortunately, we're not stealthy enough. Maybe later, then.

We travel around talking to some of the locals. Here's a significant one.

What are you talking about?

One voice calls for you . . . I feel it bubbling up inside me . . . bubble bubble . . . He wants to speak with you.

What voice?

One of the recently dead. He cries for justice. Vermin feast on his corpse, and his screams echo through the dark and damp. If you'd like I could summon him for you. 30 drachs. What do you say children?

Yes.

I'll need one of the man's possessions in order to bring him back. Come back when you have one, and 30 drachs, I must rest now . . .

We'll have to keep that in mind and figure out who this "recently dead" man is.

We next meet a fellow named Gavin.

Hello.

Gavin is kicking around teh dirt at his feet, apparently looking for something. Oh hi there. You didn't happen to see a lucky charm around here, did you?

Lucky charm?

I've really done it this time. You see my best, well, my former best friend Aldrich lent me a lucky talisman. Anyway, I lost it. I think that it's Vangorii. It's a little metal medallion on a chain. You haven't seen anything like that around have you?

When did you lose it?

I don't know. If I knew when I lost it, then I'd know where to look. I borrowed it from Aldrich for good luck. You see there was this girl at the Kaliyan that I had eyes for, and well let's just say the charm worked.

What makes you say that the charm worked?

Not the sharpest spear on the rack are you? We had a few drinks, went back to her place, etc, etc. Ergo, the charm worked. It was a couple of days after that when I realized I didn't have it anymore. I've looked everywhere, I even went back to Daphne's house but she said she hadn't seen it.

Perhaps we can help.

Please help me find my charm. Aldrich won't forgive me without it.

Goodbye.

Next, we meet a woman with marks on her.

Hello.

What brings you here? Have you come to see my bruises and pity me like the rest?

What happened to you?

You did not hear? I was attacked and robbed by a group of men. But soon Adrius will return, and all will be well.

Who are these men?

I neither know nor care. I will think of them as dead until my husband makes them so. Then I shall think of them no more.

Are you alright?

I will be, as soon as Adrius comes back to me.

Who is Adrius?

You have not heard of Adrius? He is my husband and the greatest warrion to walk these streets since Lord Tius himself. He is on a journey to the east now, but he will return soon. And the villains and thugs shall once again know fear.

Goodbye.

Let's see what Aldrich has to say about Gavin losing his charm.

Hello.

Aldrich looks very irritated. Listen, I'm in a foul mood right now, and I don't want to talk to anybody. No offense, but leave me alone.

Gavin seems sorry for what happened.

Good. I hope that idle headed hedge-pig takes his guilt to the grave!

It seems like that charm is awfully important to him.

We head to the north barracks to see what's going on there. A prisoner tries to speak to us.

Hey! No talking to the prisoners.

We speak to the prisoner's guard.

Who's the prisoner.

His name's Masseque. Always seemed like a harmless drunk to me. Shows what I know.

What did Masseque do?

He knifed a guy to death, and then passed out on top of him. Not the most clever escape I've ever seen.

May I speak with Masseque?

Sorry, but he's a dangerous criminal. It's for your own protection. If you want special permision you'll have to talk to Derrack, he's in charge.

Goodbye.

So, we talk to the man in charge about Masseque.

Sorry, he's a dangerous criminal and you'd have to get special authorization to speak to him.

Who would I get special authorization from?

Well you'd pretty much have to get it from me.

How could I get special authorization from you?

You can't.

Goodbye.

We'll see about that.

We talk to one of Derrack's men.

Hello Officer.

What can I do for you?

What did Masseque do?

It's the most open and shut case I've ever seen, we found him passed out still clutching a bloody knife on top of a still bleeding corpse. I've never seen so much blood. The victim was this thug named Nills.
Apparently it was a revenge thing. I guess Nills and two of his buddies had beaten up Masseque pretty bad a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to talk to Nills' buddies about the whole thing but they've vanished. Maybe Masseque got them too, I don't know.

I'm afraid you'd have to talk to Derrack about that, he's in charge here.

Tell me about the other Guards.

Well, not too many round here these days. Been cutting back over the years, now that the sandmen are supposed to be our friends. We got Derrack, he's our chief and then there's Senzo the patrol leader. Other than that, it's pretty much just the rookie. And then of course there are those southside Guardians, don't get me started on those snobs.

What's wrong with the southsiders?

What isn't wrong with the southsiders? A bunch of snotty, blue-blooded, incompetent wretches. Spend their lives eating from silver spoons and sipping on spice wine, it's no wonder they can hardly pick up their swords anymore. May the flame scorch the lot of 'em. If you go over there make sure and send them our regards.

Shouldn't you be working together?

No, thank the flame, we got totally different jurisdictions. They get the southside cases, we get the northside ones. Works out well for everybody.

Tell me about the rookie.

His name is Gareth. He's a buddy of mine.

Tell me about Senzo.

He's a good guy. Usually he has a very good sense of humor, but we have all had to be real careful not to say the wrong thing to him lately.

Why has Senzo been so sensitive recently?

A couple fo weeks ago he got engaged to this girl named Caenia from the Lusty Strumpet. She's a good girl, I mean for a . . . well you know. Anyway he can get pretty furious when people talk about her the wrong way.

Tell me about Derrack.

One of the last true warriors around here. Only has one true weakness far as I know. His father and grandfather were captains in their time too. His grandfather passed to his father who of course passed to him, a beautifully crafted axe. Derrack won't let anyone get near that thing.

What's his weakness?

He loves to go whoring. In his position it's strictly forbidden. If his boss Damrush were to find out about him visiting the Lusty, he'd be through

Goodbye.

Is that right? We'll just have to go to the Lusty Strumpet then.

Here's one of the women there.

But here's who we want to talk to: the woman at the front desk.

Who's the owner?

His name is Rolo. A lovely boy, I should know, I raised him mostly myself. If you need to talk to him, he is in his office right now.

What kind of visitors come here?

All sorts. Well course there are many community regulars, more southsiders than you might think, and a few that you might even find surprising. Can't help themselves, who can blame them. But people they come from miles all around. They've all heard of The Lusty Strumpet and every, everybody wants a taste. Some even come from the East.

Who might we find surprising?

Well now, I wouldn't want to tell on our good customers, and truth be told I'm not supposed to be givin' out any names and all, but you've been so nice, I suppose I can make a little exception. There is one fellow who comes by here, Derrack, the head of the northside guards, who isn't always so nice with the girls. Gets a little rough like, and I don't like it. I suppose he could get in trouble if certain folks found out he was coming here. And I don't suppose I would mind if he did.

I'd like to ask about something else.

Certainly dearie, what did you want to know?

Tell me about the women.

We have many delicious women of all glorious shapes and sizes just awaiting to be satisfying all of your wants and needs. What breed takes your fancy?

Tell me about the River women.

Who were you interested in, Caenia or Miia?

Tell me about Caenia.

She came here a few years ago from who knows where, she doesn't like to talk about it. Here boyfriend is one of those Guardians, so be extra respectful.

Are you talking about Senzo?

Yeah that's the one. He seems like a nice enough gentlemen, doesn't exactly approve of his lady's occupation. People can be so judgemental these days.

Goodbye.

So Derrack is indeed frequenting the whorehouse. This should give us some leverage.

Been to the whorehouse lately?

Alright listen. It's very important to me that no one finds out about that. Damrush, the head of Internal Security, forbade me from going there anymore, and if he found out I disobeyed him I'd be out of a job. I'm sure we can make an arrangement, but I'm not going to discuss this with everyone else in the other room. Talk to me when they're not around.

Goodbye.

The officers in the north barracks aren't interested in leaving, however. So why don't we head to their rivals in the south and see if we can stir up some trouble?

We talk to officer Estabon.

Hello sir.

Greetings stranger, how may I be of service?

Guidian called you incompetent wretches.

Did he now? Incompetent wretches are we? This coming from the moron who almost failed out of Gymnasium. Well I can hardly fault him for being a bitter fellow. I am sure it must be mortifying to have your patrol leader marry a common whore and you can tell them I said that. And I won't even mention their chief's behavior.

Goodbye.

All going according to plan. We head back to Senzo to tell him.

Estabon mentioned your girlfriend.

What did he say?

He called her a worthless whore.

That's it! I have had ENOUGH! That bastard is going to pay. C'mon guys, it's time to go teach those fance lads a lesson!

C'mon guys. Time to settle some business with those fancy boys on the southside.

Our pleasure boss.

And they take off.

With them gone, we can talk to Derrack alone.

Been to the whorehouse lately?

Alright, I guess it's safe to talk about it now. So what do you want for your silence?

Let us speak with Masseque.

We could have also asked for his family axe or some armor, a weapon, or drachs.

If that's all you want, fine. Talk to him as much as you want.

Goodbye.

So we talk to Masseque.

Go on.

I am being held for murder. But I am innocent, I swear by Keranis. I've been set up. I had reason to hate Nills, but I would never, I couldn't.

What happened the night of the murder?

I drank too much and I passed out. When I awoke I found myself on top of Nills' body surrounded by Guardians. I have no idea how I came to be there, but I am not capable of such a deplorable act. I am afraid I don't have much more to tell you. The Guardians have given up their search. They believe that they have found their killer. If you don't find who is responsible for this, I will hang. Will you help me?

Yes.

Talk to the people of the Kaliyan Inn, they will tell you that I am no murderer. I am counting on you please do not let--

And the guards come back from their little rumble.

We head to the Kaliyan Inn. The first person we talk to is Daphne, who if you recall is the woman that Gavin had a night with.

No.

Isn't that always the case? Sometimes I think there are no more good men anymore. All the men around here are either bores or scoundrels And I've had my fair share of both, believe me. I used to put up with them. But not anymore. Now they get what they deserve.

What do you mean?

What goes around comes around. That's all.

Goodbye.

I'll have to keep that in mind in my dealings with her.

Next we talk to Dinea.

Do you know Masseque?

Yeah, he was a regular. He could be a pain when he was drunk, but I can't say I figured him for a murderer. I guess some people are just full of surprises.

How often was he here?

Pretty much every weekend. Some weekdays too. The man liked to drink. And Jirahd's Special is hard to resist.

So do you think he was set up?

I hate to say it, but the evidence seems pretty clear.

What evidence?

Well for starters, he was found in the alley next door, passed out holding a knife and practically lying on top of Nill's corpse. It doesn't get much clearer than that. And if that wasn't enough, he was in a huge fight with Nills here the night before.

What was the fight about?

No offence lady, but I don't know you and I have been talked to death about this with the Guards. Why should I talk to you?

What if I did you a favor?

Well, I am kinda thirsty. Do you have any milk?

No.

Ok then, forget it.

Goodbye.

We go get some milk, come back, and try again.

Do you have any milk?

Yes.

Thanks. I guess Masseque was hitting on some girl Nills had his eye on. Nills started hassling him, calling him a sandeater and stuff. Masseque just laughed and called him a half-breed. And then Nills went berserk and started pounding on him. Masseque didn't have a chance. Nills was about twice his size and within seconds his two buddies jumped in. It took Taul a good minute or so to break things up. Masseque was furious when he left. Called them a bunch of "dishonorable mongrels" or something like that. Talk to Danton about it, he remembers more than I do.

Do you know where I can find Nills' friends?

No idea. I don't think I ever know their names. They only came in here a couple of times. Nills and his two lackeys. It was pretty clear by the way they acted who was in charge. If you're really interested the guys at the bar might know them.

So you think it was revenge?

I guess so. What else could it be? He didn't seem like that kind of guy to me, but what do I know. Those easterners have weird rules about honorable conduct. I certainly don't think he would have minded if Nills ended up dead. But that's a pretty common sentiment around here.

Goodbye.

She mentioned Danton knew more than here, so let's talk to him about it.

Hello.

You again?

Do you know the guys who Nills used to come here with?

Yeah, there were two of 'em. I haven't seen 'em since Nills got his. But they didn't come round here too often anyway. I think their names are Corin and Gram.

The same Gram that Marta was asking about.

Tell me about Gram.

Kind of weird guy. Real tall and thin, with a lazy eye. I think he still lives with his folks and his little sister somewhere next to the north barracks.

Where exactly?

Over to the east a bit, northwest of Barrier Wears.

Tell me about Corin.

Corin was a real quiet guy. He seemed to be spending less and less time with the other guys. There were rumors he had some girlfriend on the southside.

Who did people say was his girlfriend?

I don't know, you'll have to ask around. People say she has a brother who has a taste for Tarsh's ale. If you ask me it's all bakki crap. I seriously doubt one of those snobby wenches would be involved with someone like Corin.

Goodbye.

As long as we're here, why don't we have our druid talk to Daphne, since he's male. We offer to buy her a drink.

So we get her a Strawberry Daiquiris.

I love this drink. Daphne takes the drink and gulps it down.

That was quick.

Daphne winks. Yep. So what's your name?

Jacob.

Jacob huh? I like that. So . . . There is a gap in the conversation. Daphne looks at you expectantly.

From what she told Kalisco, we don't want to get on her bad side. So why don't we be smooth about things instead of forward.

Recite a poem.

You recite a brief poem by your favorite bard. I smell sweet as rose? That's so nice. Did you make that up?

We have the option here of saying we did, but if our speech skill isn't high enough she won't believe us. And we don't want to get on her bad side so . . .

No it was written by a bard I know.

Well it's beautiful. You're crazy, and I love it. So what do you think? Daphne signals to Jirahd for another beverage and looks into your eyes as you take it.

Whisper invite.

Daphne practically jumps out of her chair as she takes your hand and leads you back to her place. You motion to your compatriots to wait for you.

Maybe Gavin wasn't lucky afterall. Maybe she just wants to get with somebody.

We get back to her place.

I'm going to put on something special, just for you. Don't go anywhere, but maybe your friends could wait outside? I'll be back in a sec . . .

It's so hard having a love life when you're in a party, forever stuck in formation.

But anyway, this is our chance to search her room for the charm. We look in her Vase.

As you rummage through, you find the medallion Gavin described. You stuff it into your pack just as Daphne comes back into the room.

I'm back. Did you miss me?

8 hours later you awake to the sound of your party joining you. There remains no trace of your bedtime companion, but there is a note laying beside you.
The note reads: "Dear Jacob, Thank you for a lovely time. I had to leave the Barrier." You fold the note and meet up with your group.

Note that if we had just said "Hey, babe, let's go back to your place" we would still sleep with her, but we'd wake up with all of our money missing.

So we have the charm. That means the next stop is Gavin.

Yes.

Gavin stares at the charm in disbelief. I don't believe it. Where did you find it?

Daphne had it.

That little strumpet! And she had the gall to tell me she hadn't seen it. Look I can't explain this to Aldrich. The fact of the matter is, I never exactly asked him before I borrowed it. You're a nice lady, how about you talk to him for me?

Yes.

Great, let me know what he says.

To Aldrich.

Hello.

Aldrich looks very irritated. Listen, I'm in a foul mood right now, and I don't want to talk to anybody. No offense, but leave me alone.

Gavin didn't lose the charm, it was stolen.

That's just like the jolthead, to send someone else to lie for him.

I'm not lying. Daphne stole it and I got it back.

Well, where is it?

Here you go.

Aldrich reaches over, takes the talisman and smiles. I can't believe it. I was sure it was lost for good. Thank you. Oh and if you see Gavin around, you can tell the lout that I might be able to find it in my heart to forgive him.

So we tell Gavin.

Aldrich forgave you.

He did? How did you . . . never mind I don't care! That's wonderful. Bless you!

We go to Tarsh's Tavern because we heard the brother of Corin's girlfriend frequents the place.

So we start talking to people there.

Hello.

I used to be a Guardian you know. Back when it meant something. We conducted ourselves with dignity. You didn't see us drinking and whoring, no sir. I think the Guardians today are more concerned with fighting among themselves than keeping order in the Barrier. Every couple months something sets them off, the Flame knows it doesn't take much, and there will be a brawl between the northside and southside Guards. It's disgraceful, what kind of example is that for the community?
We didn't have any murders when I was a Guardian either. We didn't need to solve crimes, we stopped them from happening. Today's Guardians could have learned a lot from my old crew, no question about that.

Goodbye.

Then again, in your day we wouldn't have been able to talk to Masseque by getting the guards to leave. So it all works out, old man.

We find the brother.

Here's one on me.

Ardian salutes you and tips back the drink. He has a smile on his face. The last time I went to Akwasi's, I didn't even have enough money to pay for a meal. They threw me out of the restaurant, and in front of everyone. How dreadfully embarrassing. Now that his mug of ale is empty, Adrian seems much less inclined to talk.

So we come back to him with more.

If it isn't my new best friend! I don't suppose you've come to buy your old pal another drink?

Sure, have another on me.

Ardian grabs the drink and tosses it back. The smile on his face has gotten wider. Do you know how hard it is to be seen anywhere when you're a war with your tailor? I told him I'd pay him back, but he refuses to work until I get him his drachs. People can be so selfish. Now that his mug of ale is empty, Ardian seems much less inclined to talk.

Once again, we come back with more drinks.

If it sin't my new best friend! I don't suppose you've come to buy your old pal another drink?

Sure, have another on me.

Ardian looks very amused. Thank you friend. I'm in such a better mood now. Here I was, all cranky because Krista is in such a foul mood. She's been all bent out of shape since her lover disappeared.

Who's her lover?

His name's Corin. Oops! I wasn't supposed to tell anyone that. That was the drinks talking. She's been keeping the whole thing real quiet because he's a northsider, and kind of a thug. I never trusted the guy. I'm sure he just ran off with some other woman. But will she listen? No . . .

Goodbye.

With that little bit of information, we pay a visit to Corin's girlfriend.

Hello.

Krista tries to shield her eyes from you. It appears she's been crying. Please leave me. I wish to be alone.

I am looking for Corin.

Fezzik

Cipher
Continued . . .

You know my dear Corin? I-I wish I could help you, but I don't know where he is either. I'm afraid he may have gotten himself into some trouble. I haven'te seen him in so long. It's not like him. I have a key to his house, but I'm afraid to go up there myself. If you wanted to look up there I could give you his key. Do you want it?

Yes.

His shack is in the far northeast of the Barrier. Oh and you might want to stop into Barrier Arms as well, I know he used to spend a fair amount of time there. Please let me know if you find anything.

Goodbye.

We head to his shack and find it in disarray. There are signs that someone was dragged from the room. Inside, we find his handkerchief and some old coins.

We stop by Barrier Arms like Krista suggested.

Have you seen Corin around here?

Not recently, no. I remember the last time he was here, and it was a while ago. He used to be in here all the time. I'm actually starting to miss the bastard.

What happened the last time he was here?

He tried to unload a set of old coins on me. He claimed he'd been given them as a gift, but I don't think he had many friends who would give him something like that.

Where do you think he got the coins?

You're a real bright one. Let's just say I don't think they were a gift and I don't think he just found them, alright?

Why did he spend so much time here?

What? My delightful company isn't enough of a reason? Ha! He'd been in here eyeing this long sword for months. I think he was getting close to having enough for it. He'd mentioned picking up some odd jobs for extra income, the Flame knows what kind of jobs he was working.

Goodbye.

With Corin having disappeared and there being signs of a struggle back at his place, he may be dead. In which case, he may be the "recently dead" man that Chernan talked about, so we go back to see Chernan.

I'd like you to summon the man we spoke of.

Ah, he says you have the kerchief. I'll need to use that to summon him, and it will cost you 30 drachs. Shall I begin?

Yes.

The woman greedily snatches the drachs. She fondles the kerchief and begins to tremble, muttering an incantation. The image of a man appears before you. So you've me my beloved Krista . . . Beautiful isn't she . . . You need to protect her . . . you need to protect everyone . . . from Marta.

Why were you calling for us?

Because I think you might be able to help. Not me, it's far too late for that, but maybe others can be saved. Let me start at the beginning.

Marta, the old landowner, hired the three of us Nills, Gram, and me, to break into Nina's place an trash it. Marta was angry about the tax increase that Nina had started. She had me deliver a note to Nina saying that she should repeal the tax if she wanted to live. I-I thought it was just to scare her. I didn't think Mart would really . . .

A couple of days after we did the job, Nills got it into his head that we weren't getting paid enough. So we showed up at her place late at night. Nills took her into the other room and Gram and I waited in the entryway. Until the noises started.

At first I thought Nills had gotten carried away and was hurting the old lady, and then I realized it wasn't her shrieking, it was him. Me and Gram shot to the doorway to find her standing over him, with his knife in her hand, cutting and cutting. Blood was everywhere, flying through the air, dripping down her mouth and chin, and the look in her eyes . . . and her face.

She's not human. She's something else, something foul and unnatural. We stood there paralyzed and watched in horror as she made a massive slash across Nills' belly, reached inside, pulled out his innards, wrapped them around his neck and started to strangle him with them. She looked up at us with a smile and started to laugh.

So we turned and ran. Gram and I split up right away. And she followed me. I darted down every dark alley I could find, but she was always a few steps behind. I could hear her chuckling like it wasn't even a challenge for her, like it was sport. She cornered me, shoved me up against a wall, and whispered in my ear that I'd make a pretty trophy. I heard the knife tear through my neck and felt the warm blood flow.

I know she can't hurt me anymore, but I still tremble when I think of her. You must stop her. Or no one is safe. You must protect Krista. I have to go now. The woman grows weak. Please go to Krista, tell her that I ran away with someone, and that I never loved her. Please, it will be easier that way. Please . . . please . . . The image of Corin fades and disappears into the shadows, leaving you looking into the exhausted eyes of a mad woman.

Leave me. I must rest.

We'll pick up there next time.

Fezzik

Cipher
From how people talk about it, it seems like it varies a little from computer to computer. On my rig, the crashes haven't been terrible. I'd estimate that on average there's a crash every 30-60 minutes. Sometimes it's more frequent, but that seems like an aberration. So long as I steer clear of things that cause crashes, things seem fine.

The main things that cause crashes in this game for me are underground areas and the barter screen. The barter screen hasn't been too bad lately -- for me it typically just screws up when I start a new game. The idea is that if you try to trade several things at once it can increase the chance that the game to crash. And the underground crashes can be nasty. For instance when I was trying to leave the Land's End caverns with Mirilich, it crashed over and over.

But all in alll it's quite doable as long as you set the autosave to save every minute. Then the only thing that becomes really bothersome are the rare total freezes, where shutting down the computer is the only option. But those have been quite infrequent for me.

So I'd say try it. If you can get out of Kellen and it continues crashing to no end, you might be out of luck. But if at that point it becomes more reasonable, then you get to play a great game.

Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom