Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Prelude to Darkness (Finished)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
No. :P

This LP just keeps getting better and better. I want to see this through to the end, if possible.

Fezzik

Cipher
We now know that Marta killed Corin and Nills and that Masseque is therefore innocent. Not only that, but Marta apparently isn't exactly human. But at this point we have no evidence for this, just a story about a mystic conjuring up the image of a dead man. So our first task is to find some evidence. Since Corin's ghost mentioned that they delivered a letter to Nina from Marta, that's our first stop.

Where is Marta's threatening letter?

How do you . . . I thought it must be her. There is something extremely unsettling about that woman. But please, don't tell anyone. Without any evidence no one will believe me. And I know she'll kill me if the Guardians become involved.

What about the threatening letter?

Well the letter is unsigned so I don't see what good it will do, but take it. If you're serious about getting Marta I could certainly use the help. The Goddess knows I'm tired of living in fear. Just be careful.

Goodbye.

If we sneak into Marta's house, we can find a hand-written business document that we can use for purposes of handwriting comparison. But we'll also try a different route to illustrate how there are multiple ways of getting the evidence together.

We head over to Alec, hoping for some information.

Yes.

Well then, I'd imagine you're here to see Lena. I'm afraid she's not in right now. Who shall I tell her stopped by?

Just a visitor.

You might want to try back in the evening. In the meantime, is there anything I can do for you?

I'm from out of town, what can you tell me about the Barrier?

To begin with, the Barrier is divided into two neighborhoods, southside and northside. We're in the southside now, and the northside is, well, let's just say that it's not a place for the likes of you or me. It's a good thing that you talked to me, people who venture to the wrong side of town unprepared are in for a nasty surprise.

Tell me about the southside.

All of the reputable people in the Barrier live south of the marketplace. Most are officials, landowners and such, the wealthier and more enlightened class.

Go on.

Most of the officials and landowners are out during the day. Like most of my friends, I stay home and take care of the kids when they're not at school.

Who are the landowners?

There are three main landowners in the city, Nader, Marta, and Linton. The three of them own all the land in the marketplace and rent it out at exorbitant rates to the vendors.

Tell me about Marta.

She was in a ten year relationship with Aurens, but they separated a couple of years back, and she's never married. For a single elderly woman, she lives a rather extravagant lifestyle. Other than that, she's a nice enough old lady. Though she proved that she has a lot of spark left in her when Nina changed the tax policy.

Who is Aurens?

He's an estate owner. He lives right outside the city, but he spends most of his waking hours at the pub next to the weapon shop. I don't think he's been the same since Marta left him.

Goodbye.

Let's go see Aurens at Tarsh's Tavern. He ought to have or know something to do with Marta.

Hello.

Joining an old man for a drink? Awfully kind of you, the company is welcome.

I've heard you were involved with Marta.

You could say that. We were practically married for twenty years. Practically, not actually. No sir, Marta was always a little too independent minded for that. I suppose in the end you might say she was too independent for us, for me.

When did Marta leave?

About a year and a half ago her sister was killed in an accident in Land's End. Marta was ruined. She spent several months in her house just weeping. It seemed that she might never get over it. Then one day, she was better, all better. As if she'd just decided to be over it, and then just was. As if it had never happened. A couple of months later she was out the door, as if we'd never happened. We don't talk much these days. But that's alright. I've got my memories. Not to mention a good stack of letters.

Letters are what we want.

Could I see those letters you mentioned?

What? You want to read my old love letters? Why would you want to do that? You're young, you should be writing your own letters, not reading mine.

At this point, we have several options about what to say, each leading to a different skill check.

I'm writing a book on the history of romance.

Ah a scholar, eh? I used to be quite a student of Valley history myself. So tell me what you know about Tius' role in the war against the Vangesh . . .

Aurens begins a discussion of Valley history with you. He seems to be impressed by your knowledge. You even manage to teach him a thing or two. You've obiously done your reading. I don't see any harm in letting you read my letters if you think it might help your research. They're in my estate, which is just outside the Barrier walls. Look in the cabinet in my bedroom. I'll send word to my guard Scelus to let you in.

That was a successful Lore and Literacy check.

We head to his place and the guards let us in.

In the cabinet, we find the love letter.

Now that we have documents with Marta's handwriting and her signature for comparison to the unsigned note to Nina, we can bring the evidence to the Guardians.

I have information on a crime.

What is it you wish to report?

Marta hired thugs to trash Nina's home.

Well that's the most ridiculous theory I've heard in quite some time. Might you have any evidence to back that nonsense up?

Show her the threat letter and document.

This handwriting matches perfectly. It looks like we'd better go have some words with Marta. I'll round up some Guardians. Since you've made all of the accusations, you'll have the honor of joining us. Come along.

We all head to Marta's.

Marta grins. I'm afraid I would mind dear.

Let me handle this boss. Miss, I'm afraid you're going to have to come with us . . .

Marta strikes down Tia when she approaches.

What the?!? Shit! What the flame did she do to Tia?!?

And we have another one of these dark creatures.

The transformed Marta is tough but we bring her down.

We return to Vortia, the southside Guardian leader, to see what she has to say about this whole affair.

What are you working on now?

Well there's not much to do right now but regroup. It's a good thing because we're all a bit shaken. Tia was a fine soldier, and a good friend. I don't know if we'll ever quite recover. We haven't had a Guardian killed in over fifty years. And to have it happen to a friend, on my watch, it's almost beyond bearing. What I saw in there . . . I try not to think about it. It's the only way to keep going.

Goodbye.

We stop by the Kaliyan Inn for a second and run into that wordy orator from the center of town.

Hello.

And hello to you as well.

I've heard you are a great speaker.

Calling myself great, while in this case accurate, would be arrogant and unseemly. It is true, however, that I have devoted my life to studying and teaching the art of rhetoric.

Could you teach me oration?

Unfortunately for me, erudition itself does not pay, so I am forced to charge for my services. Lessons cost 50 drachs. It is your decision, take the first step towards mastery of the spoken word or be content to stay the stammering fool you are now. Which will it be? Shall I begin my instruction?

Yes.

After an hour of lesson in the art of impassioned speech and rhetoric, you are a substantially more competent speaker. Use your new skills wisely. Aufinius returns to his drink.

Next, we head by Gram's place to find out where he is, but he's been given the all clear sign and moved back home out of hiding.

Corin's spirit asked us to talk to Krista, so we go to her.

Yes.

By the Goddess, you have heard something? Where is Corin? Is he alright?

He told me he left you for another woman, and that he never loved you.

He said what? Why that little bastard. You tell him that he'd better not show his face around here again.

I suppose that's probably for the best.

Now that Gram has returned and it is clear to everyone that Marta in fact killed Nills, we talk to a newly free Masseque.

No.

I am saddened by your decision, but will respect it. I suppose I shall head back to my homeland. Still, I would like to reward you for your efforts with all I own. May your load be light and your journeys swift. Farewell.

If we had taken him on board, he would have made an excellent archer. As it is, he's given us a very good bow.

Now that the murder mystery is solved, why don't we look into that uncut gem business. We see Zito walking around at night.

We succeed our stealth check and are able to follow him.

So Rolo is behind this gem business. This all seems pretty shady, so it's likely a smuggling business. We talk to Rolo about it.

Excuse me.

Rolo glances up from his desk only momentarily before returning to his work. If you want something, talk to the hostess out front. I'm busy.

I saw Zito bring you the gems.

Look neither of us want any trouble. Maybe we can reach some kind of agreement, so that we can forget this ever happened?

I think we can reach that sort of agreement.

It's settled then. Take 150 drachs and never let me see or hear of you again.

Sounds fair.

Take the money and get out of here.

I don't really like the guy. So why don't we turn him in now that we've gotten 150 drachs out of him?

Report Rolo and Zito for gem smuggling.

I've always had my suspicions about those two, especially Zito. We've seen a couple cases of gem smuggling into the Barrier recently. They're always uncut gems, and some of the cheapest stones available. I don't get it, for stones like that, it hardly seems worth the risk. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'd better go look into it.

After that, however, Zito and Rolo are still free.

Why haven't you arrested Rolo yet?

There just wasn't enough evidence, I guess. I've been instructed to let it drop so that's what I'm going to do. Thakns for the help anyway.

Goodbye.

I guess Rolo can't be touched since Derrack's higher-ups told him not to pursue.

The next item on the agenda is to get to the bottom of what's causing the fever in the Barrier. Once we figure that out, we should also know what's causing Lucien's fever of House Char. So we go to see Darien and Saspina.

We talk to their doctor, Crallius.

What's wrong with your patient?

I wish I knew. They're calling it "the fever" for lack of a better name. It's a process of rapid mental deterioration, but in terms of the cause, or how much longer Darien has, I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine. I've consulted with countless colleagues, even many of the river healers, and nobody knows what to make of it.

Have there been other cases of the fever?

Unfortunately, yes. There have been a few very similar cases scattered around the valley, but far more in the Barrier than anywhere else. And it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. There's a landowner named Linton who lives not far from here suffering from what appears to be the same affliction. His condition is far worse, beyond hope, I'm afraid.

What do you know about the fever?

Well, it starts off slow, causing headaches, loss of appetite, and nausea. Within a couple of weeks the victim begins to fall prey to frequent blackouts and dizzy spells. A period of extreme disorientation and confusion then sets in, and in a short time the victim becomes totally unable to function. In the later stages, they quite frequently become very violent, unable to recognize even those who are closest to them. Ultimately the stress upon the brain is too much and the patient dies. Interestingly the victims of the disease have been almost entirely confined to the wealthy classes.

Goodbye.

We talk to Saspina, the wife of the ill Darien.

Yes, I'm an old friend of his.

Well it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Darien's wife, Saspina. Welcome to our home. I'm afraid you have come at a bad time for us.

What's wrong?

My husband Darien is very ill. A few weeks ago he started complaining about headaches. But things have become much worse recently.

How have things become worse?

Last week he began experiencing blackouts, and just a few days later he became completely incoherent. He'll spend whole days staring at the ceiling and mumbling. Occasionally he snaps out of it, and when he does, he is usually rather violent.

How is he violent?

He hasn't hurt anyone . . . yet. But he just starts lashing out wildly. It's as if he doesn't know who we are, like he's a frightened animal. The doctor doesn't know what to make of any of it.

Who's your doctor?

His name is Dr. Crallius. I hired him when Darien started blacking out. He has a reputation for being one of the finest doctors in the Valley, but so far he hasn't been able to come up with anything. The doctor recommended that I take some time off my work to stay around here and look after Darien and spend more time with the children.

Where are your children?

Oh, they're at the local school right now. It's run by a wonderful young woman named Erynne. All of the people from the southside send their children to her. She is quite a beautiful and talented young woman.

What is your job?

I'm in charge of external security of the Barrier. Not an incredibly taxing job these days, but it can be time consuming nonetheless. I work a lot of evenings, so when Darien was well he looked after the children. I spend most of my time negotiating local policies with the other council representatives. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer not to talk about work right now.

Goodbye.

We stop by Mendos Inn.

Hello.

Welcome to Mendos Inn. We have a history of providing the highest quality room and board n the Valley. Our rates are high but reasonable, given the alternatives. We also have what many consider to be the finest cuisine in the entire Valley right next door. What can I help you with?

Tell me about the restaurant.

It's always been a fabulous resaurant, but it wasn't until the new chef came in that it gained the unrivaled status that it enjoys today.

Who is the chef?

His name is Akwasi. He's become quite famous around here for his exotic and spicy dishes. Ever since he moved here the lines have been out of control. You should try to get in some time. I guarantee you it's like nothing you've ever had before. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Where is he from?

All I know is that he was born in the east. When our last chef retired, we held a contest to see who could make the best dish. The best cooks from all around the Valley all came and prepared their finest food. But Akwasi's dish was far above and beyond anything else.

Can you get me into the restaurant?

Well, yes, I could do that if I had a very good reason to.

What kind of reason?

About a week ago, while I was here alone some thugs came in, vandalized two fo the rooms and took some of my personal belongings. There was nothing I could do. I desperately want them back as they've been in my family for generations. If you bring me back my belongings, I'll get you into the restaurant if that's what you like.

Goodbye.

While we walk away from the Inn, we meet a man named Nurens.

Hello.

Oh hello, my name is Nurens. I don't believe that we have met, what's your name?

My name is Kalisco.

Well it is a pleasure to meet you Kalisco. I'm meeting so many wonderful people here. This is my first visit to the Barrier.

Where are you from?

I was born and bred in the Citadel. An impressive city, just as the Barrier is a symbol of strength, the Citadel is a testament to the power of the one true Flame. Neither drought nor the crop failure can tarnish its splendor. It's full of inquisitive minds, which is perfect for me. I am an instructor of literature and language.

What are you in town for?

I'm here for a much needed vacation. My wife has always wanted to make it down to see the Barrier, to see its sights and sample its delicacies. I thought it was about time I indulged her.

Perhaps you could give us a lesson?

Perhaps I could, but my services won't come free. I think 50 drachs is fair.

Yes please.

He takes your drachs and begins the lesson. Very good.

That concludes my lesson. You were quite a quick learner, and I hope you enjoyed the class.

Goodbye.

We can always use a little more Literacy and Lore skill.

We stop by the school and say hello to the teacher, Erynne.

Can I help?

Erynne smiles at Kalisco in near disbelief. That is very nice of you, it is great to meet someone who will do someone a favor without asking for anything in return. I ran out of juice for snack time around here and if the kids don't get it they will be cranky all day. If I give you the drachs, will you run and get me some milk?

Sure.

Here is five drachs, just enough to get some milk from Alersa's stand. Thanks so much! I can't get over how nice you are.

Goodbye.

We buy some milk from the stand.

And we give it to the teacher.

Yes.

Thanks. You saved my hide, the kids were about to attack me they were so hungry.

No problem.

I just can't get over how kind you are, doing all of this for me without asking for anything. It was great to meet you.

Goodbye.

Now we stop by Alec's place for gossip.

Where is the school?

Quite a prestigious place, I can assure you. The teacher, Erynne, lives around here. She is an absolutely fantastic teacher, and beautiful as well. It's hardly surprising that som many young men have crushes on her.

Who has a crush on her?

She is an adorable young woman, I'm sure many men in the Barrier have an eye on her. I doubt that anyone is more infatuated with her than Tristian, however.

Who is Tristian?

Tristian is the host of the restaurant attached to the Mendos Inn. He can be a real snot, but he has a soft spot for Erynne.

Goodbye.

Well since we've gotten on Erynne's good side, maybe we can be on Tristian's good side as well and get into the restaurant. Note that there are two ways to get into the restaurant, through Erynne and through Sarenti.

We head to the restaurant and talk to Tristian.

Excuse me.

Hello, how can I help you?

I'm a friend of Erynne's

Ah yes, you were the one who fetched the milk for her. She mentioned you. I suppose I could let a friend of the lovely Erynne to the front of the line. Would you like to go in now?

Yes.

Wonderful, follow me.

So we're in. The waitress comes by to take our order.

Ask about Akwasi's Special.

Ig . . . i'm sorry, Akwasi's Special is most definitely the most renowned dish on our menu. The special is a mixture of eastern vegetables and meats with a variety of exotic seasonings.

What was that slip about?

Oh it's nothing really. When Akwasi is prepping hi special he refers to it as "Igboi," but he absolutely insists that we don't refer to it in its native tongue to customers. I suppose he wants to keep the nature of the dish as quiet as possible so he doesn't end up with imitators. Now, are you ready to order?

Akwasi's Special.

Ah, yes. A very wise choice. It's my personal favorite, absolutely scrumptious. Will there be anything else?

No.

Very well Ma'am.

Once we have the food, we leave and speak to one of the Vangorii street vendors, hoping for information.

Have you ever heard of Igboi?

I see no reason I should talk to you, wetlander. But some spices or leave me alone.

Offer bribe.

I suppose 22 drachs might loosen my tongue.

Okay.

Mayaa reaches out and snatches the drachs. Thank you. Now what did you want to know?

Tell me about Igboi.

My people do not eat that dish. It is only made in a remote place in the far east called "Fon'ash".

Tell me more about Fon'ash.

I know little. I have never been there. If you are that interested, I have heard that someone from Fon'ash recently began working at the whorehouse.

Do you know her name?

No, I do not. I tire of your questions, buy something or leave.

Goodbye.

We head to the Lusty Strumpet and talk to the only Vangorii prostitute there, Roh.

Have you ever heard of Fon'ash?

Heard of it? Yes, it is my homeland. It is the farthest east of the established settlements, and home to the most gifted artisans and chefs in the east. I miss it very much. If I had my way I'd still be there.

What do you know about Igboi?

Igboi is a very special spiced meat dish that is native to Fon'ash. I'm surprised you would have heard of it. It is delicious, but it has not been served for many years, even in Fon'ash.

Why not?

It is unfortunate, but one of the spices used to give it its unique flavor can be quite poisonous if used in excess. It drives people mad.

What happens to them?

I watched a close friend die from it. He was having headaches and stomach aches, we thought nothing of it, but within several days he was bedridden and incoherent. He became crazed and violent. He had to be restrained to prevent him attacking loved ones. He stayed like that until he died. If we had recognized the symptoms earlier we might have been able to save him, but by the time we realized, it was too late. The chef fled before he could be dealt with.

Bingo.

Dealt with how?

You must understand, it is not an easy mistake to make. The chef must coat the meat with ten times the necessary spice to make it deadly. So it was strongly suspected that he . . . that it was not an accident. The chef will never be able to return to Fon'ash if he wishes to keep his head.

How can it be cured?

I know little of such matters. I simply know that remedies can be made.

Goodbye.

Now that we know what almost certainly is the cause of the fever, we need to tell the doctor, Crallius.

The fever is caused by poison.

It's certainly not like any poison I've ever seen before, but I suppose that it is possible. What makes you say that?

Explain about Akwasi's Special.

Fascinating. I never would have expected poison, but that makes sense. It would explain why only the wealthy citizens have fallen prey to this condition. I ate there myself, fortunately for me I didn't try the special. I am going to need a sample to analyze and attempt to make an antidote. Do you have some for me to look at?

Yes.

Wonderful. Hopefully this will yield some answers. Let's see . . . Crallius takes the food and begins mixing it with some odd colored liquids.

After about an hour he has come up with what he thinks is a viable antidote. He administers his concoction to Darien. The results are miraculous. Minutes after tasting the liquid Darien begins to stir.

It works. Perhaps there is still time to save Linton as well. I probably will not see you again before leaving the Barrier. Bless you for your assistance. I'll leave it to you to speak to the authorities about Akwasi. Farewell.

We talk to the rejuvinated Darien.

How are you feeling?

Better that's for sure, but I'm still pretty weak. Crallius says that I should rest, and that I should be fully recovered in a week or so. From what I hear, you strangers discovered the cause of my illness. I am sorry that I have nothing to offer you in return but my thanks. It is all so bizarre and horrible, like a bad dream. I cannot fathom what Akwasi could have had against me. I never even met the man.

Goodbye.

Next we head to the Temple of the Flame, since we haven't visited it yet.

Tell me about the Temple.

Certainly, my child. This temple has existed since the birth of the Barrier. Its undying flame has bounced for nigh 1000 years. But please, I do not wish to talk of history. It only serves to remind me of the great indignity we have both recently endured at the hands of savages. This is the thanks we receive for letting them live within our hallowed walls?

What indignity?

Have you not heard? The spear of Tius has been stolen from the statue in the town square. It is a great insult to all followers of the Flame.

Perhaps we can help.

My, this is unexpected. You honor your blood, child. Women with such spirit and vigor have been sadly lacking from our ranks, Kalisco. There is no greater service you could grant the Flame than the return of the spear. Such defilement must be remedied swiftly to avoid a sort of cancer of the spirit.

We are at your bidding, you have but to ask.

Wonderful. Please return as soon as you retrieve the spear. Such insults cannot be long endured.

Before we get to finding the spear, we go to the Inn and see Dinali sitting with his wife.

We'd like you to teach us Deirnash.

Dinali is a masterful trainer. After only a few hours of intense work, party members who had initially been skilled in unarmed combat have improved noticeably. Not bad for your first lesson. Not bad at all. I am afraid that is all I can teach you now. Perhaps another time. Farewell friends.

Goodbye.

Our next stop is to take a look around the sewers here in the Barrier.

There are lots of baddies distributed throughout.

After a while, we come upon some bandits encamped down here.

We fight but when it's all said and done they don't have much on them worth taking.

We continue through the sewer fighting more non-humanoids.

Lots of squashed enemies.

More squashed enemies.

When we make our way down one pathway, we find a dead body with a ring. It turns out it's Corin.

Finally after making our way deeper into the sewers, we come across a dead end with some brigands with Tius' spear.

There's a big fight where we have to move quickly to keep from being stuck on a single-file walkway. With them dead, we take the spear.

To the surface.

We head back to the Flame Temple to return the spear.

Well . . . it's early morning, the time when the hunter at Barrier Arms said he'd go hunting with us. We take him up on his offer.

We save their butts and get back to Barrier Arms.

Don't think we owe you anything just 'cause you helped us out with those Pennigers. We would have been just fine on our own.

Just the same, I'd like to offer you something on the house. What would you like?

We take some free armor.

With the Barrier stuff done (though I did forget to tell the authorities about the poisoned meals at the restaurant . . . oops) we head to the Citadel to see if we can finish up business there. First up is House Flam.

Hello.

Hello again Kalisco. What news of my box?

Here's the box.

Fezzik

Cipher
Continued . . .

Excellent. What I have here is the voting rod for House Flam. Before I give it to you I think it is important that you understand why House Flam is best suited to govern the Valley. As you may know the Valley is experiencing trying times. Farms are dying, bandits roam the countryside, and the safety of the people is threatened. To be blunt, I have never known a problem that drachs could not solve. Only House Flam has the resources to solve the Valley's problems, to hire enough Guardians, to build irrigation channels, to fill bellies and make people safe again. I look forward to our victory over the other houses. She hands you the House Flam voting rod, a metal rod which has been warmed by her touch.

Goodbye.

Next, House Char. After all, we did solve the fever problem in the Barrier.

Hello.

Have you found a cure?

Yes.

She listens intently as you recount how you helped solve the poisonings in the Barrier. Yes, yes, this sounds the same. I would wager that Lucien ate tat that restaurant while he was visiting the Barrier. I must speak to Doctor Wiles at once! Lucien shall be cured! You have done House Char and the entire Valley a great service. I cannot thank you enough. Now Lucien will be able to battle the other Houses and win the council election. House Char pays its debts, however. Here are 100 drachs for your efforts.

We'd like the House voting rod.

You have saved my husband, and although it is a great price I will give you our voting rod. But before I do so, it is vital to the future of the Valley that you understand the need for Lucien to lead the Council. There are dark times ahead, and a healthy Lucien will be the strong arm that the Valley needs. If you vote for Flam or Leit, you are condemning the Valley. She hands you a thin metal rod, bearing a mark in the language of the ancient Children of the Flame.

We head to the Temple and as we arrive, we're greeted by Actaia.

Hello.

Welcome to the Temple of the Flame. Your reputation precedes you. If only all the Valley's children were so noble in these troubling times.

We'd like to see the Priestess.

I'm sure she would be happy to receive you, but currently there is a matter which demands her full attention.

I see that now that we're more reputable, Actaia is much nicer.

Is there anything we can do to help?

Perhaps. A student at the Seminary named Numitor has put down his books and taken up arms against the Goddess. He claims that the Goddess seeks to extinguish the Flame. He now slaughters her Sylkies as part of his crusade. The Priestess is understandably concerned that such actions might reflect badly upon the Temple, and wishes the matter to be resolved without our direct involvement.

If we help in this matter, will the Priestess receive us?

I believe she would have time to receive you if you were able to help in this matter.

Do you know where to find him?

I do not. All I know is that he left the Citadel. I would suggest inquiring at the Seminary. I know he was under the tutelage of an instructor named Tonis. You may wish to speak with him.

We'll find him for you.

Your nobility shines through like a beacon. Good luck, and may the Flame light your way.

Goodbye.

Well that's it for this time. We're going to do the Temple quest before the election, but does anyone have any thoughts on which House to support in the election?

Fezzik

Cipher
So the party is in the Citadel and has received voting rods from all of the Houses. For the hell of it, we're going to get the Temple voting rod as well. Actaia has told us that if we want to see the Priestess, then we have to figure out we're Numitor the sylkie-killing rogue member of the Seminary is. He was under the Tutelage of Tonis in the Seminary. So we stop by to ask some questions.

Hello.

Welcome back. How may I be of assistance?

Who are you?

I'm a teacher at the Seminary. In fact I'm currently teaching the most popular introductory course here.

What introductory course?

He smiles in appreciation of your interest. Introduction to the Flame Texts of Antiquity. It's an overview of all major Flame works from 'The Kindling' by Brojius, to more recent works like 'Exposition on Ash' by Glacius. My course is a requirement for all seminary students, and I can proudly say I've taught this material for over twelve years.

Tell me about your student Numitor.

Terrible business he's gotten involved in. The last time I spoke with Numitor it was to assign him the translation of a minor text for my course. Now I'm told he's gone mad, rants against the Goddess, and is butchering Sylkies. Didn't learn that in my course, I'll tell you that.

There was a speech check here, where Tonis will only answer questions about Numitor if the leader of the party has high enough speech skill.

What minor text?

Lucius' 'Meditations on Steam: A Flame Perspective of the Goddess'. There should be a copy in the Library if you think it's important.

Why sylkies?

It's certainly a logical way to strike at the Goddess isn't it? To destroy her favorite creatures, and remain guilty of nothing in the eyes of Flame law. It is almost admirable in its simplicity. I must say, I'm a bit surprised the Goddess hasn't smote, or at least blinded him. Perhaps the rumors of her waning power are to be believed after all.

Where can we find Numitor?

I don't know. I haven't seen Numitor since he started this foolish crusade, and he hasn't been back to his room in the Dormitory.

Where is Numitor's room?

The Dormitory is just across the street. Numitor's room is on the first floor.

Tell me about the Seminary.

The Seminary is the true center of learning for matters both religious and secular in The Valley. It is the training ground for the great minds of tomorrow. A majority, but not all of our students, are members of House Leit.

Goodbye.

Once inside Numitor's room, there is an intelligence check and Kalisco discovers where Numitor's hunting blinds are.

Since Numitor was using a particular book with his tutor Tonis, we stop by the library to take a look at a copy.

Hello.

Hello, and welcome to the Library of Leit.

I'd like to read a book.

What subject are you interested in?

Philosophy & Religion.

Let's see . . . here's a list of Philosophy & Religion titles we currently have available. Which would you like? She hands you a slate listing the available titles in chalk.

'Meditations on Steam: A Flame Perspective of the Goddess' by Lucius.

You search the text, looking for a clue to Numitor's crusade against the Goddess. You are about to give up when you find a small piece of parchment containing a translated passage from the book. Scanning the passage you find that it has been mistranslated. Instead of reading "Assuage the Flame" it has been translated to read "Extinguish the Flame." This could easily explain Numitor's behavior.

There was a Literacy and Lore check for Kalisco to see that.

So, armed with information and the location of Numitor's hunting blinds, the party makes a trip. On arriving, Jacob sees Numitor.

We have the option of attacking him outright, but instead choose to talk first.

You've mistranslated the Lucius text.

The light of understanding dawns in Numitor's eyes, which widen in growing horror. By the Flame! What have I done!?! What have I done!?! Numitor looks down at the bloody skinning knife in his hand and presses the tip to his stomach.

Successful speech check.

Convince him not to kill himself.

Yes, please, tell me how I can repent for what I've done. Numitor looks at you with growing hope.

Successful charisma check.

Return to the Priestess.

Yes, the Priestess will know what I can do. Thank you for illuminating my path. Numitor gathers his belongings and heads north.

Goodbye.

Having stopped him both from killing sylkies and killing himself, we head back to the Temple to tell Actaia the good news.

Hello.

Numitor has told us how you guided him back to the Flame. He asked the Priestess for atonement, and she has given him penance. You have done a great service for the Flame. Please take this as a token of the Temple's appreciation for your efforts. The Priestess asked me to direct you to her as soon as this matter was resolved.

Goodbye.

Actaia gave us a flame gem, I believe.

Now for a conversation with the Priestess.

You sent for us?

Yes, We did. There is a matter of grave importance for which We need your help.

How can we help?

The body of a Child of the Flame has disappeared from the Crematorium. We need your help to find out what has happened, and return the body if possible.

Who's body is it?

The identity of the corpse is not important. What is important is that a Child of the Flame has died, and has not been Rekindled.

What do you think happened to the body?

We do not know how or why the body has disappeared, only that it is important that the Child be returned and properly sent on to the Flame. The reputation of the Temple would be damaged if the Children began to doubt the ability of the Temple to send them to the Flame after death.

What is the Crematorium?

The Crematorium is where Children are Rekindled and sent to be with the Flame for all eternity. It is located in the Upper West Quarter. Mersius is the acolyte responsible for the Crematorium.

Goodbye.

The party visits the Crematorium and speaks with Mersius.

What is this place?

This is the Crematorium. All Children of the Flame are brought here when their flame is extinguished so that they may be Rekindled and sent to be with the Flame for all eternity.

Are only Flamebloods cremated here?

Yes, only the Children of the Flame are rekindled and sent on to The Flame. The People of the River have their own customs.

Can you tell us about the River customs?

From what I know, many Riverbloods choose to Walk the Stairs, or have their bodies sent down the River. Others actually practice burial. There is a cemetery in the Grove just outside of the Citadel. Bodies have a way of disappearing from there with some frequency. But no one seems to mind.

Who are you?

I am Mersius, a Priest of the Flame. Is there something you need?

The Priestess sent us to investigate the missing body.

Ah, yes. it's very alarming and quite inexplicable. When I last saw the corpse it was lying in the Rekindling Chamber. As you can see, there is only the one entrance, and it is under constant guard. This isn't the cemetery, you know.

Have the guards been questioned?

Yes, they've been interviewed at great length, and we're all satisfied that they aren't involved.

We'd like to take a look around.

You're welcome to. But I don't think you'll find much of interest.

Goodbye.

In the back of the Crematorium, there are some grates. The party tries to open it, opting to have Diviana try.

The grate is too small for more than one person to help lift it. Diviana, the strongest, bends over and attempts to lift the grating. With some effort the grate moves, exposing a drain which leads, if the smell is any indication, to the sewers.

Roaming around the sewers, there is a man named Vectrix and several zombies. They aren't hostile outright.

We talk to Vectrix to see just what's going on here.

We're listening.

These subjects are part of my research. It is for the good of the Valley, I assure you. I am re-animating these corpses to gain a better understanding of how the body functions. My objective is to learn how to overcome illness and disease. If you do not believe me review my journals.

Examine his journals.

From what Nylis gleans from the journals, Vectrix has indeed learned much which is beyond the scope of even the best healers of the Valley.

That was successful check of Medical skill and Literacy and Lore skill. If our skill was not high enough, our party would get the impression that his research is simply misguided. We have the option of turning him in or killing him, not terrible options, but instead choose to let him continue.

Return the Flame corpse to us and continue your work.

I am grateful for your understanding. The corpse you require is on my examining table. I only needed it to confirm my suspicion that Flame and Riverbloods share a common physiology. I can assure you that I will be more circumspect and avoid the Crematorium in the future. Please take a copy of my work, I think you will find it most edifying. Vectrix hands you a copy of his journal.

The body needs to be returned to the Priestess.

We've returned with the missing corpse, and it won't happen again.

The demeanor of the Priestess lightens. Good.

That was a successful speech check. If Kalisco's speech skill hadn't been high enough, the Priestess would have guessed that she was lying by leaving out important information.

We grant you drachs from our treasury, and given the current state of affairs, it seems appropriate that you take charge of our Voting Rod. Choose wisely. May the Flame light your way.

Goodbye.

With all of the voting rods, the party can decide the leadership of the Citadel. Fastoflex is the man to see about that.

Hello.

What matter has brought you back to me?

I have voting rods.

Please show me all the voting rods in your possession.

Present you rods.

Do you wish to call an election for the leadership of the Council?

Call the election.

Perhaps the election stalemate will end today.

And so the election ceremony begins.

The Keeper opens a large tome and prepares to record the votes.

How does House Char vote.

We vote for House Flam.

I record that House Char has voted for House Flam.

Frowning Lucien slowly shakes his head.

Fastoflex records the vote in a large tome. How does House Flam vote?

We vote for House Flam.

I record that House Flam has voted for itself.

Nacippe smiles at you.

Fastoflex records the vote in a large tome. How does House Leit vote?

We vote for House Flam.

I record that House Leit has voted for House Flam.

Otarian looks at you in astonishment.

Fastoflex records the vote in a large tome. How does the Temple of the Flame vote?

We vote for House Flam.

I record that the Temple has voted for House Flam.

The Priestess' calm demeanor doesn't change as you place the vote.

Fastoflex records the vote in a large tome. Based on votes cast this day, in accordance with the sacred laws of the Children of the Flame, I declare that House Flam wins the position of Council leader, which they will fill for the next two years. I shall send criers to announce the news to the entire Valley. The keeper takes the voting rods.

With House Flam elected, we head to the Bank to see the top man in House Flam, Fadicus.

Hello.

Yes, the Vangesh emissaries. The trade agreement is about to expire, and they refuse to extend it. The friction between Flam and Vangesh makes further negotiation attempts unproductive. Perhaps as an independent third party you can rekindle the fires of communication. Find out why they aren't willing to talk, and convince them to sign the agreement. Speak with Yezeed at the embassy, he is their Ambassador.

Are the terms of the agreement fair?

They are as fair as they have always been.

Goodbye.

With a gem and our previously gained knowledge of the Vangesh in hand, we speak with Zobeida.

I wish to speak with the ambassador.

You wish to speak with the ambassador, do you? And what business brings you?

I bear a gift, and by the law of the sand he cannot turn me away.

You have studied our ways. The law of which you speak says the gift must come from fire vine or cave or be a flock of thirty banaidwe. Since I hear no baying and none have seen a benaidwe since the night when Mutamin departed with the herds for the Falel Ghul some thousand years past, I do not think that you have a thirsty flock at your diposal. Do you bring gifts from fire vine or cave?

I bear gems.

A gift from a cave, and one which I know Yezeed will be especially pleased with. How thoughtful of you. We would be hard pressed to break the law of the sand. You have my blessing to speak to the ambassador.

Goodbye.

We step into Yezeed's office.

I bring gifts.

I am honored. What have you brought?

I brought you a gem.

Ah, a gem. See how it catches the light? A very fine and touching gift. The truth can be like a gem.

He who holds the most gems can make the truth.

Eh? Only the old men of my village would say such things! Ah to hear their words in your voice, but it is a good thing. The spirits have coaxed the answers of the past from you. You speak words that bring back fond memories. I would not have expected such from a person of the Valley. You have shown great respect for me, and for Vangesh customs. Tell me, Kalisco, what can I do for you? There's something in Yezeed's manner that suggests that he will listen to things you have to say now.

In regards to the Trade Agreement.

Ah yes, the venerable Trade Agreement between the Vangesh and the people of the Valley as represented by the honorable House Flam. What do you wish to know?

Why won't you sign the new agreement?

An excellent question, which deserves an answer that is its equal. The Vangesh wish two concessions, but honorable Flame refuses to listen to any discussion of change. You have proven that you are mutable like the sands, but that you honor gleams like a gem, so I will tell you what we wish in hopes that you shall return to honorable Flam and they will listen. We wish to procure more gems, their value in the desert is . . . unexplainable to outsiders. Also we wish to sell our own wares rather than distribute through the Valley merchants. We will gladly offer a commission of all things sold.

We will speak to Fadicus.

Excellent! Go and speak to him, and return to me with news of our good forune.

Goodbye.

Back to Fadicus to talk about concessions.

Hello.

Kalisco, how are negotiations with the Vangesh going?

The Vangesh have some requests.

They do, do they? Sounds like you're making progress at least. What have you learned? He sits back as you detail your discussion with Yezeed.

Hmmm . . . I'm afraid there are many reasons we canno offer more payment in gems. In general gem pices fluctuate too greatly for us to ensure good profit margins. Additionally I'm afraid we can't trust the Vangesh merchants to correctly report what they sell. You've been witness to the troubles we have with our own craftspeople. But most importantly the flow of gems form Jerrok has all but slowed to a halt. I don't know if this is due to internal problems they are experiencing or an actual lack of gems, but either way gems are becoming scarce. We have to hold on to the ones we have.

However, we do need to get this agreement taken care of before it expires and the other Houses interfere. We can do nothing about the gems, but perhaps we can make some concessions on the other front. You can tell Yezeed that if they wish to sell their wares themselves, House Flam will arrange that. But we will not take a commission. Instead they will be taxed on all imports to the Valley. House Flam will set up a waypoint at the Barrier Fortress and collect taxes based on our established values of Vangorii goods. I think he will be amenable to this. Return to Yezeed and get his signature on the new agreement.

Goodbye.

So it's back to Yezeed.

We have spoken to Fadicus about your requests.

He listens intently as you describe your conversation with Fadicus. We would have preferred the gems, I think. But your efforts are appreciated. We will sign, and when the time comes we will have this discussion with House Flam again. He brings forth the new trade agreement, and a pen from a brightly colored feather. He carefully signs the agreement, and hands it to you with a smile. Now we must drink to celebrate!

We would be happy to share your wine.

The wine is strong, and the bottle empties quickly.

Goodbye.

Good news for Fadicus.

Hello.

Has Yezeed agreed to the new terms?

Yezeed has agreed to sign.

You hand him the signed agreement, which he reviews, a smile growing on his face. Excellent work. You have been instrumental in the success of House Flam. Now for your reward. As I am sure you are aware, House Flam is known for its material wealth. You'll have to forgive me for not thinking of something more creative, but I imagine that a mountain of drachs will prove useful in your travels. Enjoy. He offers you a chest filled with drachs. I shall share the good news with the rest of the House.

Goodbye.

The party takes a walk to the library to see if there's any useful information to be had that they haven't seen already.

Hello.

Hello, and welcome to the Library of Leit.

I'd like to read a book.

What subject are you interested in?

The Arts, Literature & Rhetoric.

We have several Arts, Literature & Rhetoric titles currently available. Which are you interested in? She hands you a slate listing the available titles in chalk.

'Folk Songs of the Valley' by Ittura.

This book features words to more than 100 of the greatest folk songs of the Valley, from "All The Good Times Are Past And Gone" through "Walk the Stairs." The song "The Smithy's Dream" is the one that is similar to the plight of Arens the Smith. You take note on the lyrics, and how the song should be performed.

That should be helpful. Arens is our next stop then.

Hello.

Hello again.

We have the option of either reciting it as a poem or singing it as a song. Our Music skill isn't particularly good, so we choose to recite the poem.

Recite poem.

I haven't heard 'The Smithy's Dream' since I was a boy, and my mother was never able to recite it nearly as well as you just did. 'The Smithy's Dream' was what made me want to be a smith in the first place. I can see now that retiring was pretty silly, though I suppose that was your purpose. Yes, Alves' technical skills are greater than mine, but that doesn't mean I can't expand my own styles. Thank you for this gift. How can I ever repay you?

I'd appreciate an example of your work.

It would make me happy to know that you were using something crafted in my forge. I have many fine weapons and suits of armor. What would you like?

We have four options: chainmail, throwing weapons, barbed hunting arrows, and a morningstar.

A finely woven suit of chainmail.

Arens goes to work and returns with a well crafted and strong looking suit of chainmail. He hands it to you with a smile. Here you are, take it with my blessing and thanks. I think I'll go warm the forge. I have an idea for a new piece.

Goodbye.

With Arens inspired again, our work in the Citadel is wrapped up.

Before we get on with making our way to the Goddess, let's look into this stolen dagger business since we've put it off for so long. We head to the Academy and talk to Maetius.

Hello.

Yes?

Echemnon said that you were studying the dagger which was stolen from the museum.

Yes I was. It was one of the most interesting pieces I've ever seen. I still can't quite believe it's gone.

Do you have any idea who might have stole it?

No idea. But whoever took it wanted it badly. The museum was well guarded and the dagger was the only thing taken. I suppose it might be valuable to a private collector. There is one person you could talk to, a man by the name of Selarian. He deals antiquities from his shop in the Citadel and strikes me as a sharp fellow. If that dagger is being bought or sold anywhere in the Valley, he would know about it.

Where did you find the dagger?

I stumbled upon it. I was going through some of our collection and found it in a box with junk which no one had bothered to catalogue. A rather colossal oversight I would say.

What was so interesting about the dagger?

There are few things about this piece which aren't fascinating. The first things which caught my eye were its unique design and exquisite craftsmanship. It's most unusual, the blade and haft are forged from a single metal. Both its sheen and hardness are inconsistent with any metal I'd ever encountered. But after the tests I performed, the metal became the least intriguing thing about it.

What were the results of the tests?

According to the results of Nacippe's archeochronography ritual the blade is well over 1500 years old, making its creation predate the Children's arrival in the Valley by centuries. Now it's construction clearly denotes the work of a master Flame smith, rather than the Ancients. Meaning that this blade was most likely forged in The Pinnacle before the Exodus.

Who is Nacippe?

Nacippe is probably the most celebrated Thaumaturgist in the Valley's history. She died about 200 years ago, but many of the rituals she developed are still in use today. Paphos is trying to get one of her more obscure rituals to work, if you as me, it's a fools errand.

Tell me about The Pinnacle and the Exodus.

The Pinnacle was the massive city of the Children of the Flame on their home world. They fled the Pinnacle after losing a war to something called "The Darkness." Apparently the defeat was largely due to the treachery of a Thaumaturgist, Nyflan the Betrayer. If you ask me they should have seen it coming with a name like "the Betrayer." Kidding, of course. The Exodus is teh period after the Children left the Pinnacle and before the Arrival in the Valley.

Tell me about the Ancients.

"The Ancients" is our name for the race which inhabited the Valley long before even the River People. The little we have gleaned about their civilization is from studying the ruins and relics they left behind. Personally I believe we have barely scratched the surface in discovering, much less unraveling, the mysteries they have left for us.

Do you know what the dagger was used for?

Its design seems to indicate that it may have filled a cermonial role, but I can't say with any certainty.

Goodbye.

We head to the Citadel to ask Selarian about the dagger.

Hello.

Greetings children, how may I be of service?

An ancient dagger was stolen from the Academy, a scholar there thought you might know of its whereabouts.

I don't know whether to be flattered my reputation has spread so far or insulted anyone would think I might have anything to do with stolen property. I think Ill choose flattered. Go to the Library of Leit. I've heard that Ciarius, the librarian there has been commissioned to study a dagger from a private collection. It sounds like a most interesting item. I'd love to get my hands on it. Just to examine it, you understand.

Goodbye.

In the back of the library, we find Ciarius dead.

His assistant is there.

What happened here?

My master Ciarius was murdered. Were you here to see him?

Yes, I wanted to talk to him about a dagger which was stolen from the Academy.

So it was stolen. I should have known. It was the men who brought him the dagger who killed him. I was in the study fetching him a book when they arrived. I heard everything through the door. He lied and said he was alone. He saved my life.

What are those burned papers?

There were some texts Ciarius dug up in the library about the dagger. He was working on translating them. He was very excited this morning about some sort of breakthrough. That's why he was meeting the men today. When the showed up he gave them the documents, and they proceeded to burn them in front of him. Then they stabbed him with the dagger and performed some kind of ritual to shatter the blade. However, he did have copies of the documents made if you wanted to see them. Here you are. You can keep them if you like. They're worthless to me, I can't read a word of them.

Is there anyone who could translate the documents?

Doubtful. Ciarius was peerless in the field of archaic languages, and he was struggling with these texts. He believed they were written in The Old Tongue which hasn't been used since the Exodus. I'd venture to say that the only place where you could possibly find a translator would be the Monastery of the Charred Ones. It's rumored that the monks possess a knowledge of history which surpasses even that of House Leit. Of course it would be heresy to suggest such a thing and I'm not. But there are rumors.

Tell me about the Monastery of the Charred Ones.

The Charred Ones are a group of self-proclaimed monks who eschew the element fo abstraction in our faith and believe that to worship the flame you must aggressively subject yourself to it, literally, physically. To this end they burn and brand themselves as part of their regular worship. Officially the church Hierarchy considers them heretics, and they are rarely spoken of in public.

Where is the Monastery?

It's west of here, in the northwest corner of the Valley perched over High Lake, the source of the Anar. But it's not a trip that one should undertake lightly. To travel there you must traverse The Dark Path, a famously treacherous cavern system. For pilgrims, undertaking the journey is thought to be a testament of their faith. Personally I think it's madness.

Did you ever see what the men looked like?

No, they only ever met with Ciarius. They brought him the dagger and paid him handsomely to research it. He dropped everything and spent all of his time on it, and not because of the drachs. It was a fascinating piece. He said it was like nothing he'd ever seen before. I can't understand why they'd want to destroy something like that.

Goodbye.

The Monastery of the Charred Ones is where we'll go when we need to find out more about the dagger, then. But for now, we go to Crossing East, to find some way to get to the Goddess.

Uva is the Watcher's agent in the area.

We're from the Watcher.

I was beginning to think you'd never come. Nothing has caused me to believe there are members of the Rebellion in Crossing East, but I'm troubled nonetheless. The darkening times have not left this small town untouched.

Can you mark Crossing East locations on our map?

Of course. That should do it.

What's troubling you?

Well, the pilgrims have stopped coming altogether. Crops are withering. And farmers are going crazy. What's not to be troubled by?

Tell me about the crazy farmers.

Something's awry at Sau's house. Sau won't tell me much and I don't pry. You might be able to help if you feel som inclined.

Tell me about the crops.

The farmers have to work very hard to squeeze what they can from the earth. And as a reward for their hard work, prices for their corps remain low. It's been particularly hard on Kieno. He's getting older and has no children to help him.

Tell me about the pilgrims.

There was a time when you'd have to wait half a day in line to buy raft building equipment from Grawln. People of the river cam from all about to pay homage to the Goddess. I suppose they feel that the Goddess has forsaken them, for it has been decades since we saw our last pilgrim.

Goodbye.

We speak to a fellow who looks like he might be able to tell us hwo to do what we need done.

We're looking to build a raft.

I can spot a pilgrim a mile away. Though I must say you're the first one in a while. Now if I remember right the last one that thought about making the pilgrimage was old Jebedus. Or was it Jedebus? No matter. Anyway, he was a hoot of an old . . .

Excuse me, but is this going anywhere?

Oh, wha? Yes, yes of course. Well, actually no, not really. Not at all I suppose. I like telling stories, but people rarely stick around to listen to them. Dej looks at the party hopefully. It's clear he would like you to chat with him. It's a shame though. I have so much valuable information.

Can you tell me how to build the raft?

Surely. First you need to get some softened Ironwood. Once you have that, you must build the raft with your own hands. You have to build it yourself, but if you need help Grawln the carpenter will probably give you a hand, for a price. Finally of course, you need the Goddess' permission to let you across. But I assume you have that already. Else you wouldn't be asking. Unless you're daft. You don't look daft though, not a bit.

Where could we find some Ironwood?

Fezzik

Cipher
Continued . . .

The only Ironwood tree that grows in Crossing East is in the grove of the druid Falesin. I wouldn't advise you trying to take it from him without asking either. He's a powerful one he is. You can also buy it from Grawln at the town shop. Won't come cheap though.

What can you tell me about Crossing East?

Things aren't what they used to be around here. The crop plague has hit the farms hard, and it's hurting the whole economy. Taking its toll on the people too. You know how it is, problems beget problems. Once you have one they start sprouting up everywhere. Unfortunately for us there aren't more people like you all going around straightening things up.

From what I hear there's some kind of madness going on at Sau's home. Then there's poor Uva, her husband Avir had disappeared. Things go not well, my friend. If you do make it to the Goddess tell her that all of her people are counting on her.

Goodbye.

Next up is Grawln the carpenter.

We're looking to build a raft.

You're on a pilgrimage to the Goddess, aren't you? There haven't been any pilgrims in decades. I'm honored to have you in my store. Not that I wouldn't be happy to have any customer in my store these days. But enough of my jabber, do you know what's needed to make the pilgrimage to the Goddess?

Yes.

Good. I can help you with obtaining the Ironwood and I can help you with building the raft. Getting the Goddess' permission to let you across the river is an entirely separate issue. Ironwood you can get at the local store, but it will cost a heavy drach.

Could we find Ironwood elsewhere?

Well there's only one Ironwood tree I know of in Crossing East, and that's watched over by the druid Falesin. It's in the forest to the west.

Goodbye.

Falesin's standing by his tree.

Who are you?

A companion of nature, and a devoted servant of the Goddess.

I've heard you have an Ironwood tree.

Falesin looks at you suspiciously. Yes, I do. What of it?

We are on a holy pilgrimage and need to make a raft of Ironwood.

Falesin looks at the party intently for what seems to be several moments before speaking. Though I know not what your purpose is, I sense its importance. You may have my Ironwood, but first you must bring me a replacement.

Replacement?

Bring me an Ironwood sapling to plant in its place.

Where can I get an Ironwood sapling?

I would imagine that they are available in Ironwood.

Goodbye.

We'll be heading to Ironwood, then, but first why don't we look into this "crazy farmers" business.

At Sau's home, there are several women acting very strangely.

Let me in! In, in, in!

I'm coming my love!

We speak to Sau.

Hello.

Leave me alone.

What's wrong with the women around your house?

It isn't my fault! Why don't you ask that fool Aijo, it was his idea!

What was his idea?

I'm not going to talk about it. If you want to know you can ask him. His farm is to the east.

Goodbye.

To Aijo, then.

What's going on at Sau's farm?

It was all his idea. The man's got a head harder than Ironwood!

But . . . he said it was your fault.

My fault?!? He was the one who . . . Get away from me! I'll not answer your questions on Sau's behalf. Go bother him. I have lots of drinking to do and you're wasting precious time.

Goodbye.

Back to Sau.

Hello.

What do you want now?

Aijo said it was your fault.

My fault, eh? Why don't you ask him about the love potion? Then we'll see whose fault it is.

Goodbye.

And Aijo again.

What is it?!?

Sau mentioned something about a love potion.

Well perhaps if the man's son wasn't so ugly, we wouldn't have needed a love potion!

What love potion?

Just leave me alone, I've drinking to do.

Goodbye.

Sau again.

Hello.

Sau is clearly agitated. What is it now?!?

Aijo said you needed the love potion because your son is so ugly.

Of course my son is ugly! But I wasn't the one who fouled up the love potion. That Aijo is a bright one, to get a potion recipe from a sand eater and not get an antidote. Now, unless you have anything else disparaging to say about my family, I'd appreciate it if you would leave me alone.

Goodbye.

And Aijo once more.

Please . . . please! Won't you just let me drink in peace?!?

Sau says that you fouled up the love potion and don't have an antidote.

Aijo breaks down. You can hardly make out what he's saying beneath the tears. By the Goddess it's all my fault! It thought I was supposed to mix the red one with the green one and . . . it's no use, I"m lucky the Goddess doesn't send me into the rocky rivers!

Please tell us what happened.

I just wanted my daughter to live a decent life, and I thought that Sau's son Rarmer could provide it for her. His family does have the means. It's just that Rarmer is . . . is . . .

Ugly?

By the Goddess, he's the ugliest boy you've ever seen. My lovely daughter Eevi would rather marry a wild bingo than court that boy. What was I to do? Making a love potion was the only solution.

So what happened?

A Vangorii woman named Mayna or something came through not so long ago. She said that she had a love potion that would solve all of my problems. She gave me all of the ingredients and a recipe telling me how to mix it. But I spilled water on the recipe and I think I mixed up how much of what was supposed to go into the potion.

You 'think'?

Well . . . I'm sure of it. That's not the worst of it though. It got into the family soup. So now everyone is madly in love with that ugly boy. Even my wife. Aijo takes a swig of ale and begins sobbing even harder.

Perhaps we can help.

Spare me your pity. The woman who sold me the potion is long gone, and I've no idea how to put together an antidote.

Do you have any idea where she might be?

Probably in the Barrier, that's where most savages live.

Goodbye.

So our next stop is the Barrier. But first, Here's what would happen if we had our thief unlock the door that the women are trying to claw through.

The women enter the room.

Here I am lover. Nothing will part us again.

He doesn't want you, you old prune. He loves me, right sweety?

No! He's mine and I will not share him!

Easy now ladies. No need to fight, there's enough Rarmer for all . . .

I will not share you my love!

Let go of him you whore!

So instead of that, let's visit the Barrier and talk to the Vangorii woman who sold them the recipe.

Were you in Crossing East recently?

Mayaa looks at you suspiciously. Yes, what of it?

I understand that you sold a love recipe to Aijo.

I told him when I sold him the recipe that there were no refunds. Get away from my stand.

Do you have an antidote?

I have just the thing. It will cost you 100 drachs, no less.

Pay.

You must mix Doir Fruit with Cave Fungus. You can probably find some Fungus in the cave right outside the Barrier. If you can't do it on your own, come back to me, and I'll do it for you, for a price.

Goodbye.

On the way to the cave, some travellers are being attacked. So we help them out.

Afterwards, we but a Vangesh Bow from them, which we can give to Verugi later.

In the cave, we kill some fungus creatures and take the cave fungus.

We talk to Mayaa to get the antidote.

About that recipe.

What of it?

We have the ingredients.

Very well then. Give me another 100 drachs and I will mix it for you.

Yes.

Very well. Now then . . .

Here is your antidote. If you have no more business with me, please leave.

Goodbye.

So we head back to Sau to give him the antidote.

Hello.

What now?

We mixed the antidote.

Quick, give it to me.

Give Sau the antidote.

Sau administers the potion to the three women. They seem a bit groggy, but are no longer clawing at the door.It worked! Thank you so much, I don't know what I would have done without your help.

With that problem fixed, we leave Crossing East. First, we'll stop by Verugi's house.

Yes.

Verugi takes the bow and runs it through his fingers. Ah yes, this will do nicely. Now fetch me a fresh bannane. And it had better be ripe Footlicker!

We happen to have a bannane with us.

Greetings Footlicker, did you bring me what I asked?

How is a bannane going to help you make the ultimate power source?

Oh, so maybe now you're the expert on making the Ultimate Power Sources, eh Footlicker? Perhaps you'd like to tell me how to make one? Ha! I didn't think so, now did you bring me a bannane or not?

Yes.

Verugi snatches the bannane. He stuffs the fruit into his mouth and throws the peel over his shoulder. After he finishes chewing and swallowing, he blinks and a confused look spreads across his face. Well, where is it?

You just ate it.

Sure I did, Footlicker. Forgive me for saying so, but I think I would probably remember doing something like that, don't you think? Now enough of your jokes, don't come back here without a bannane. A nice big fresh one. Ahh I can almost taste it now.

Looks like we have another.

Greetings slave, do you have the bannane?

Yes.

Verugi takes the bannane and smells it before setting it down. Yes, yes this will do nicely. I have nearly all the components I need. Fetch me a black gem from the Barrier, adn quickly you rotter, quickly!

Goodbye.

I get the impression that Verugi's quests are just mockeries of fetch quests in most RPGs

With that, we head to Ironwood.

We'll get the sapling and see what's going on around Ironwood next time.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Nice, but it's actually even better to talk to the in-town doctor at the Barrier and agree to help him find the cure. He gets all the credit, but he teaches you a fairly useful Thaumaturgical ritual in return. Just another nice alternative way of doing things.

Fezzik

Cipher
Real life is approaching very quickly and I don't want to leave this LP unfinished. So instead making sure to do every doable quest in the game, we'll do a couple of things in Ironwood and Crossing East and then go full steam ahead with the main quest. I estimate two or three updates in the next week or two.

Fezzik

Cipher
Our destination is Ironwood, to pick up an ironwood sapling for Falesin. We stop by The Trusty Saw, the local Inn, to ask about what's going on in town.

Inside we find Marjo, the Watcher's agent in Ironwood.

Hello.

Yes, what can I do for you?

We're from the Watcher.

Oh you are, are you? Let me guess, Kalisco, right? I should have recognized you. I heard you might be coming around here. Welcome to The Trusty Saw. Now what can I do for you?

Doesn't your sign say "The Rusty Saw?"

Marjo sighs heavily. Yes, yes it does. The "T" was stolen a few years back, someone's idea of a joke I'd imagine. Anyway, I've yet to recover it. Keep an eye out for it while you're in town.

Can you mark Ironwood locations on our map?

Oh, of course. There you go.

Do you know where we can find some work?

Well I don't suppose you'd much enjoy working at the mill, and anyway, I don't think they're hiring. If you're looking for some drachs I'd talk to Brolund, the head of the Hunstmen. He's a little short on men, and is hiring fighting men and women to escort logging parties.

Why do loggers need armend escorts?

The mad bingos. No one dares venture far into Ironwood without someone who's good with a bow or axe.

How are things in Ironwood?

I'm afraid things have been better. You see, the town is pretty much run by Menorac, the owner of the Ironwood Mill and the hotel. I always though him a good man, but I have to say I don't like the direction he's been taking this town. He and this new bodyguard of his have been getting greedy. I've started to see a side of Menorac I don't like, and it's only gotten worse since his wife Rolucia fell ill.

What is wrong with Rolucia?

No one knows what it is. She's fallen into a deep slumber, and can't wake up.

Who is his bodyguard?

He's a man by the name of Blaen. He showed up out of nowhere. He managed to prevent a bizarre attempt on Menorac's life by some crazed member of the Rebellion. Ever since then he's been Menorac's most trusted friend and advisor.

How has Menorac been getting greedy?

In the past year of so, he's made all sorts of changes. He's hiked up the prices at the company store, and opened a casino in the hotel, all to take more money from his employees. It's idiotic from a business perspective. Poor employees rarely make happy or productive workers. Of course at this point everyone is having too much fun gambling to notice that they're losing their savings. Talk to the families of the workers, in the southwest of the city. They can tell you how bad it's getting.

I'd like to ask about something else.

Sure enough. What'll it be?

Anything strange happening around town?

Depends what you consider strange. Aldir's daughter Hilmi is missing. He's offering a large reward for her return.

Who's Aldir?

He's affectionately known as "The Mayor." He's a member of the council. A very wealthy fellow, his family's been here for generations.

Any idea what happened to Hilmi?

There was some speculation that she ran away with a Huntsmen named Jaanas, who hasn't been around in awhile. Besides that I don't know. You may want to talk to Aldir about it.

Anything else going on around town?

We had quite a celebration for the Feast of Issarti this year. Actually had some unexpected visitors for that.

What is the Feast of Issarti?

The Feast of Issarti is when we celebrate the first Calling. Legend has it that Issarti was the first of the River People to be called by the Goddess.

Tell me about the visitors you mentioned.

Well we had some folks from Crossing East in town for the festival, that's al. We don't get many tourists around Ironwood. They were a striking couple. The man was a short and stout River Person. The woman must have been a mixed blood. She had River features but she had bright red hair.

Goodbye.

Here's another fellow at The Trusty Saw.

Hello.

Hello to you as well.

What do you do here?

I'm a member of the Huntsmen. I've been one ever since I was old enough to draw back a bow. It's in my family, my half-brother Brolund started the group.

Tell me about Brolund.

He's a good leader, negotiates well for the group. You might want to talk to him if you're looking for work. We're caught a little short-handed at the moment.

Tell me about the Huntsmen.

We're a loose knit group of hunters. Brolund founded the group about twenty years ago. as soon as the bingo attacks started. With the mad bingos out there it's too dangerous for logging parties to venture into the woods without protection. The huntsmen provide that protection for a small fee.

Tell me about the bingo attacks.

I was a child when they started. I remember when I was real little people actually kept bingos as pets. They used to be harmless little critters, then out of nowhere about two decades ago, they went crazy. Just a couple at first, and people just assumed they were rabid, but in time they all went mad and would attack a person on sight. The attacks have gotten worse and worse. Don't underestimate the critters. Alone they're not so bad, but they tend to travel in packs.

Goodbye.

So there are bingo attacks all over the place.

We're here for a tree sapling, so let's head to the shop.

Aren't these prices a little high?

Don't blame me, I just sell the goods. This is the Ironwood Mill Company Store. Menorac, the owner of the Mill, sets all the prices in the store.

Barter

We purchase the sapling. It does cost a pretty penny, but thankfully we're rolling in the dough at this point.

Lots of talk so far about this Menorac guy. Let's go see him.

Hello.

Menorac is looking at a picture of a woman. Beautiful isn't she? I look in on her every morning. And every morning I think, "This time it will be different. Today she will awake. Today things will be as they were." I keep hoping and praying for this nightmare to end, but it never does.

What's wrong with her?

I don't know. One night she went to sleep and she's never woken up. Countless doctors and healers have seen her. They all say the same thing, she's perfectly healthy. She's asleep. She just can't wake up.

How long has she been like this?

Months. It happened right after our wedding anniversary. That necklace she's wearing was my gift to her. My last.

Where did you find the necklace?

To be honest my taste in such matters leaves something to be desired. Embarrassing as it is I didn't purchase it myself.

Who bought the necklace?

I had Blaen, my bodyguard and assistant, pick it out for me. Rolucia loved the necklace, but I'm sure she would have been furious to know that Blaen had chosen it. She never liked Blaen.

Shere did Blaen buy the necklace?

I don't actually know that he ever actually mentioned where he bought it. I always assumed he bought it from Ternia, here in town, but I can't say for certain.

Why didn't Rolucia like Blaen?

I think she resented his growing influence with me. I never quite understood it to be honest. Blaen has yet to disappoint me in any way. But somehow, she just didn't trust him.

Why do you need a bodyguard?

About a year ago while I was on a stroll I was attacked by an assassin from the Rebellion. Blaen, then an aspiring huntsman, happened to be near and fought off and dispatched my assailant. This incident both made me aware of the need for a bodyguard and presented me with the perfect candidate for the position. I hired him on the spot. He has served me loyally ever since.

Tell me about Blaen.

Blaen is a most remarkable man. I hired him as a bodyguard, but through time he has become an advisor and friend. Over the past year he's helped me through some of my biggest challenges, buying the hotel, opening the casino, negotiating with laborers. He's proved quite resourceful.

Could we see her?

Of course.

Goodbye.

So we take a look at Rolucia, lying in bed asleep.

Examine the necklace.

You notice a faint inscription on the necklace. Close examination reveals it to be a sleeping enchantment. You realize that removing the necklace would kill her, but think that applying a mixture of the herb ferrin and spring water might dispel the enchantment.

That's Kalisco's Thaumaturgy skill kicking in. If she didn't have much skill, we'd either get a sense that something about the necklace isn't right or just think it's a pretty necklace, with no warning that its removal equals death for Rolucia.

We talk to Blaen.

Hello.

Yes? What is it?

Did you purchase Rolucia's necklace?

As a matter of fact I did. Now what of it?

Where did you buy it?

I bought it from a vendor in the Barrier, when I was on a trip there. You think he's lying.

Noticing that he's lying is a stat-check, I think.

You're lying.

I don't much care what you believe so long as you leave me be.

We head to the local jeweler to ask about getting some Ferrin and whether she made the necklace.

Hello.

Greetings. Can I interest you in some fine jewelry?

Did you craft Rolucia's necklace?

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. A shame too, it's a beautiful piece.

Are there other jewelers in the area?

There's only one other jeweler around these parts, a man by the name of Ancus. Strange little fellow, a bit of a hermit. He lives west of town in a little cabin. He only works on a commission basis, special pieces and the like. He's not just a jeweler either. He's some sort of magician. Puts enchantments on some of his jewelry.

This is the lead we'd follow if we didn't have a thaumaturgist in our party.

What kind of enchantments?

I think mild protections, things like that. Can't say I know much about it myself.

Do you sell ferrin?

Ferrin flakes? I have some, but I've never sold any before, that's for sure. So you're an amateur jeweler, eh? Well I suppose long as you don't start undercutting my prices I'd be willing to part with some, don't use it much myself. Ain't cheap though. Cost you 50 drachs for a jar.

I'll take it.

Here you are.

Do you know where I can find some spring water?

No, I'm sorry. Try asking Kaira, she knows about those sorts of things. Her shop is just northeast of here.

Goodbye.

To Kaira.

Hello.

Hello friend.

Do you know where I can find some springwater?

Indeed I do. There is a spring located in the woods to the north of Ironwood. Be on your guard though, the forest is treacherous.

Goodbye.

North of town, we find the spring and take some of its water.

We take it back to Menorac's home to try to safely remove the necklace. We mix the ferrin and the springwater and approach Rolucia.

Apply the ferrin and springwater to the necklace.

As you apply the solution the necklace begins to shimmer and hum. After a moment it shatters and falls from Rolucia's neck. Rolucia shudders, coughs, and opens her eyes.

Menorac? Is this real? Am I awake?

Yes, my dear.

It was Blaen, he did this to me.

He-- how? What do you mean?

I don't know how. But I know it was him.

I will do everything in my power to find out, have no doubt of that. Allow me to have a word with our friends here.

We dispelled the sleeping enchantment from the necklace.

Then perhaps we'd better have a word with Blaen.

Why don't we have your guard accompany us?

That is not a bad idea. Let us do that.

That is wonderful news indeed.

Her sleep was caused by the necklace you procured.

What? By the flame! The dealer I bought it from must have . . . oh, never mind. I was tired of listening to that bitch prattle. Are you satisfied, cinder?

Blaen, what are you saying?

I'm saying that I'm tired of the lies. I'm tired of having to skulk in the shadows like some pathetic animal. Tired of playing servant to a puffed up whelp. I'm tired of it all. It's time you know me as I am, and know your fate.

With that, he transforms and combat begins.

After we take the creature down, Menorac speaks.

No.

Regardless we'd best not speak about it. There's no point in throwing the whole town into a panic. Whatever he was, let us hope he was the only one. Please accept some drachs as a small token for your efforts here. Here, take this as well. I'm sure you can make better use of the blade than I.

Here's the dagger he gave us. Not bad if we had someone who practiced flame magic.

Next, we stop by Brolund's home. Brolund is the leader of the huntsmen.

Hello.

Welcome friends, what can I, or the Huntsmen, do for you?

Do you think Jaanas ran off with Hilmi?

No I don't. Jaanas was certainly in love with the girl, but it wouldn't be like him to run off like that. He had responsibilities here.

Where do you think Jaanas went?

Don't know, wish I did. The Ironwood forest is not without its dangers. As sad as it is to say it, my guess is that something in the woods killed him.

We're looking for work.

Then you're in luck. I happen to be caught a little short-handed right now. I'm looking for a squad to serve as an armed escort for a logging party. They'd be ready to leave whenever you are. Pays 60 drachs. What do you say?

We're ready to go now.

Good. Be careful.

So we escort the group. And bingos attack.

We mop up the situation and head back to Brolund to see about another job.

So we go to the cabin in the woods and it's surrounded by bingos.

When we get close, the bingos notice us. Combat begins.

After killing the animals, the men in the cabin are safe to leave.

So we head back to Brolund once more.

Hello.

I'm told that you managed to rescue the loggers. Excellent work. There's one last thing you could do for the Huntsmen. There is a beast roaming Ironwood forest which has proved the death of several huntsmen. So far the creature has eluded me. It now looks like it has struck again, and this time close to home. I just received word that my half brother Aisos' body was found torn to shreds in the forest. If you could find the beast, kill it, and bring me it's pelt I would be willing to offer you a great reward. I would start looking where it killed Aisos. You can find his corpse to the south.

On the way to the body, there's this giant tree that was chopped down to make the bridge over the river.

Once we're at Aisos' body, Jacob's nature skill kicks in. He notices some tracks and we follow them. Without sufficient nature skill, we would have to find the creature by simply wandering around looking for it.

The tracks lead to a cave.

Inside we find the beast.

It dies and its pelt is ours.

We take the pelt back to Brolund.

Hello.

Welcome friends, what can I, or the Huntsmen, do for you?

We killed the beast.

You did? Do you have its pelt?

Show him the pelt.

By the Goddess, it's huge! Must have put up quite a fight, I imagine. Here is your reward, Heartswood. Heartswood was carved by the master fletcher Seijo more than two centuries ago from the heart of what was believed to be the oldest tree in the forest. It is the finest bow I have ever laid eyes upon. Its last owner, Arjal was the first of our numbers to be slain by the beast. I think it is only right that you should have it.

Goodbye.

Here's a look at the bow. It's certainly the best bow in the game.

Next up, we talk to Aldir, the man with the missing daughter.

What offer?

My daughter Hilmi is missing. I am offering a 150 drach reward to whoever returns her to me.

Do you have any idea where she might be?

None. I know people are saying she probably ran away with Jaanas, but I will never believe that. It's true that we argued about their relationship, but we were far to close for her to just run off.

Who is Jaanas?

He's a young Huntsman, a well meaning young man, just a little headstrong. I didn't disapprove of him per se, I was just worried that he and Hilmi were growing a little too close. Just a father's concern, nothing more. I cannot believe that my mild objections would have forced them to flee the city. Where would they have gone?

How long has she been gone?

The last I saw her was at the Feast of Issarti. She seemed so happy that night. The next morning I looked for her in her room, and she was gone. I keep expecting her to just walk in through the front door.

Goodbye.

So she was last seen at the Feast of Issarti, eh? That's a useful piece of information.

Since we have the ironwood sapling and there were some visitors to the Feast of Issarti from Crossing East, that's where we should be.

We speak to Dej to get the scoop.

Describe the couple Marjo said visited Ironwood.

Sounds to me like you're talking about Kirtto and Hrosta. Can't fathom why they'd be in Ironwood though. Strange little couple. Never been the same since their son died a couple of years ago. Anyway their farm is a little outside of town. If you're looking to go there you'll want to cross the Uilir south and then head east past Kieno's farm.

How did their son die?

Disease. He was feverish for weeks, and in the end his body just couldn't hold out. Awful shame, the poor boy was only six.

Goodbye.

So we head to Kirtto and Hrosta's home.

Hello.

You believe this was the man that Marjo mentioned was in Ironwood for the Feast of Issarti. Hello stranger.

Were you in Ironwood for the Feast of Issarti?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I was.

Did you know Aldir's daughter Hilmi disappeared around that time?

I can't say that I did.

Goodbye.

They don't seem to want to give up info, even though it's fairly clear they have something to do with it. There's a trap door leading down in their home, so we try to open it.

Kirtto frowns.

Please don't go down there.

We choose to go down anyway.

We warned you.

And combat begins. We defend ourselves and head down to the basement.

Hilmi is down there.

We take her back to Ironwood. She and her father are reunited.

Yes father.

Here is the promised reward, take it and with it my kindest thanks.

Friends, as grateful as I am to you I hope you don't think me unkind when I ask some time alone with my father.

Yes perhaps that would be best. But friends I do wish to speak with you more. Please come back and see me tomorrow. Come here darling.

You notice a very strange look in Hilmi's eyes. Something strange and savage.

That's an intelligence check.

Aldir, step away from her.

What is the meaning of this?

Hilmi laughs.

Darling what is going on?

They're just worried about your safety father. They're worried that I might hurt you.

Why that's absurd.

Isn't it? A young girl like me? Why you'd scarcely imagine I could tear my own lover apart limb from limb. But there was so much more I wished to do. But they were worried I'd make our presence known. They had to drag me away and hide me, with so much left undone.

Darling what are you saying?

Silence father! I'll deal with you in a moment. First I must entertain our guests.

Aldir darts to the other side of the room.

And she attacks. She's quite tough but she's killed. Afterward Aldir is grief struck.

Aldir trails off into a sob.

Well . . . back to Crossing East.

There we find a man wandering around some old ruins and stones.

Excuse me.

Geris looks up at you and sputters in irritation. What do you want? Can't you see I'm occupied? Begone! Geris recommences his examination of the runes. After a moment something occurs to him. He looks up at you with an ingratiating smile. Perhaps I was too harsh. You may be useful to me. Tell me, what do you know of history, specifically Ancient history?

Explain what you know.

Geris nods and smiles at you. Always a pleasure to meet another student of history. Perhaps, if you could spare a moment, you might be interested in learning about my research.

That was a literacy and lore check.

Sure.

I've come from the Academy to study the works of the Ancients. I believe that I'm on the cusp of a great discovery. However, in order to complete the final part of my study I require some assistance. As usual the locals have proved both useless and uncooperative.

What do you want us to do?

The bridge over the Uilir to the south of here was, as I am sure you are aware, constructed by the Ancients. There is a spot in the center of the bridge which I have come to believe was used to "mystically," for lack of a better word, transport objects from one place to another. I believe I can trigger this device by manipulating the runes on the far side of the bridge. Now, I can't very well be at the center and the and of the bridge at the same time. So I was hoping that you would stand on the bridge while I attempt to activate it. If all goes well you will be transported to some sort of Ancient complex. There you can make observations and return to me.

Where do you think the bridge would take us?

My suspicion is that the bridge was used to transport . . . uncontrollable creatures to some other location. That is all I know.

How would we get back?

I don't know, you would have to figure that out on your own. Though, given what I know of the Ancients, I'm fairly certain there would be a way to return.

Alright, we'll do it.

Wonderful. Let us make our way to the bridge.

Good luck. The moment Geris pulls the lever you fell as if you've been turned inside out. Only seconds later you arrive in the Ancient colony.

So here we are in the ancient colony. We can try to activate that big golem standing there by putting gems into three slots in his head.

If we don't use the right gems, however, he attacks. And he's essentially invincible, so that's not a good idea.

As we explore the area, finding gems and artifacts, we run into a lot of mutant creatures.

And more.

Inside chests and scattered across the floors, there are ancient weapons and gems, including black gems which can be used in thaumaturgical rituals to make golems.

Once we've found the appropriate materials, we return to the big golem to activate it.

We put the Grey Gem, the Magenta Gem, and the Rust Gem into the golem and it begins to move. It moves across the way and sends us back to the Valley.

Geris is there when we return.

Explain what happened.

With Geris frequently stopping you with questions, it takes nearly an hour to explain your travels through the prison colony of the Ancients.

Marvelous, absolutely marvelous! As a token of my appreciation, I will teach you how to create and control creatures made from the living earth.

Geris spends the next hour teaching you how to make Golems.

Now that you've cleared the way, I simply must see it for myself. Will you trigger the device for me?

Yes.

I'm prepared. You may pull the lever now.

With the pull of the lever Geris disappears to the cavern of the Ancients.

Here's the spell he gave us.

Next time we'll continue with the main quest, assembling our raft and floating down the river to see the Goddess.

Fezzik

Cipher
It's an update extravaganza!

Now begins our race to finish the main quest. A trade of an ironwood sapling for ironwood is our first step.

Yes.

Good. It will not be easy for me to part with my old friend, but I know it is for the greater good. Let us go.

He magically knocks down the tree and gives us the Ironwood. But the conversation doesn't stop there.

There, the body of the tree is yours. However to craft it, it must first be softened.

Do you know how we can soften the Ironwood?

Yes, pilgrim, I can perform such magic. But I was hoping for a favor first.

Gonna milk me for everything he can.

Of course.

My glade has become overrun with foul creatures. I would like you to rid my sanctuary of these beasts. It's a bit to the west of Crossing East.

Goodbye.

So we make our way to his glade and find a whole bunch of nasty forest creatures.

They, of course, are eliminated.

On our way back to Falesin, a traveler crosses our path.

What quest to cleanse the Valley?

You are wise to obfuscate your true purpose, but she has shown me in a vision that yours is the destiny of the entire Valley. You must let me join you!

Tell me about yourself.

Very well. I was born and raised in the Barrier, but I didn't want to become a whore like my mother. After she died I have traveled the Valley, living in caves and under trees, relying on my wits and the generosity of the Goddess. You must let me join you! I travel light. All I have is my spear and a pack with a few dry provisions. But I need little, and the Goddess is generous with her gifts. You must let me joing you! Together we will cleanse the Valley!

No thanks.

Tauna looks furiousYou dare defy the Goddess? She will . . . She stops mid-sentence. A wry smile spreads across her face. Ah. I understand. You wish to wait for reasons you cannot tell me. I will be patient. But you must hurry! Time is running out!

Before you leave, I want to share with you a gift the Goddess has bestowed upon me. Tauna teaches you Growth. We'll meet again. The Goddess will make sure of it.

We're full up on party members. I probably wouldn't want a woman with serious issues in the party anyway.

With no further interruptions, we arrive.

Yes, your sanctuary is safe, now can you soften the wood?

I can perform such magic. Give me the Ironwood.

Give Falesin the Ironwood.

The wood that Falesin returns to you is far more malleable, but seems just as strong. With this you should be able to make a raft that will take you to the Goddess. I wish you luck in your travels. I sense a dangerous road ahead.

Goodbye.

Having obtained the ironwood, we stop by the carpenter's shop.

Can you help us build the raft?

I can help you build your raft, but it'll cost 100 drachs. Otherwise you can try to build it yourself if you'd like. Sorry to ask for so much, but times being what they are . . .

Why not try it ourselves?

We'll try to build it ourselves.

After a few hours, Sally puts together the raft. Grawln looks impressed, if not a bit disappointed. Well, it looks like you didn't need my help after all. Have a fond voyage, and send the Goddess my regards. Perhaps she'll send some more customers my way.

Goodbye.

The raft is complete. We set off.

Just inland, the Goddess waits for us by her altar.

You did well to destroy Bargilof. He was a good man once, but he had been twisted by a force known as the darkness. This darkness spreads across the Valley, corrupting and consuming my people. Its very presence withers the earth. A thousand years ago I would have eradicated the darkness without a second thought. But now, I can do nothing. The Goddess sighs.

I was not meant to be here so long. My power grows dim. Its source is depleted. You must find a way to restore me. Only then can I drive this darkness from the Valley, only then can we be safe once again. I sense the possibility of great power in the Flame of the Children, perhaps the answer lies there.

You feel your pocket grow heavier. I cannot say exactly what your future holds. But I fear your quest to aid me will require both strength at arms and content of character. Here, these petals will improve your wit and charm, but only for a day. Use them wisely. Now go! I must protect my people. You must help me.

As the man at the murder scene in the library told us, if we want information about either the ancient dagger or the Flame, the Monastery of the Charred Ones is the place to go. We make our way to the Dark Path.

The Dark Path is an underground passage separating the Monastery from the rest of the Valley. Once inside, we're greeted by the bodies of fallen would-be pilgrims or warriors and a slough of hostile cave dwellers.

After making our way through the passage -- which can be confusing due to the lack of an automap -- the exit to the other side is right ahead of us.

And finally, we have the Monastery.

Standing at the end of a walkway along with several monk-like figures, a heavily scarred man sees us and speaks with us.

I'm looking for someone to translate this document.

Here we're tallking about the document found at the library about the dagger.

After a cursory glance he hands the document back to you. It is in the Old Tongue, interesting. It seems to concern a blade of some kind. You had best speak with Bazir, he studies such matters. His study is west of here, on the south side of the path.

How does one join your order?

A Child who has been called by the Flame must make his way down the Dark Path to us. When an initiate arrives he is stripped of his clothes and beaten by all of the Singed. Once the initiate collapses they are picked up and submerged in scalding and then freezing water. They are left outside for the night. Those who die are buried. Those who survive until dawn are fed and washed by all of the Singed. They are dressed in a simple robe and lead to the oldest monk of the order. There they receive three brands, one on their face for vanity, on the left palm for joy, and one on the right palm for lies. Lastly the newly Singed is presented with his new name.

What do you mean "of the Burned?"

The Burned are the second rank of our order. To advance to this rank one must complete their training as one of the Singed, and then give part of themselves to the Flame. As you can see I chose to sacrifice my eye to the Great Warmth. The Burned are responsible for the instruction of Singed and running the monastery.

Tell me about the ranks of your order.

The four ranks of the order are the Singed, the Burned, the Charred, and the Consumed.

Tell me about the Singed.

The Singed are the lowest ranking members of our order. They are our intiates who come to us seeking the way.

Tell me about the Charred.

When one of the Burned is called, he walks down the Way of the Flame through the Hall of Memory and hurls himself into the pyre. He endures the Flame as long as he can before falling flaming into High Lake. He then is dragged from the lake. If he survives he is cleaned and placed in the Chamber of the Charred for a life of constant meditation. Sharag is the only living monk of this rank.

Tell me about the Consumed.

Before one of the Charred expires he will hear the final call of the Flame. He summons members of the Burned and tells them that it is time. They carry him down the Way of the Flame and throw him into the Pyre where he becomes one with the Flame forever.

Where is the Chamber of the Charred?

It is carved into the mountain on the northern end of the Way of the Flame.

I would like to request an audience with Sharag.

One does not ask to speak with Sharag. Sharag knows necessity. If there is need that you speak with him, you will be summoned. Rangard smiles.

What do you do here?

I am the trainer. I oversee the training of the Singed in matters physical and spiritual.

That explains the anti-social hood-wearers crowded around him.

Do many people make pilgrimages here?

I can not say how many set out on the Dark Path, but few make it here.

What kind of people come here?

They are of three types, Children who come to join our order, Children who come to sacrifice themselves to the pyre, and People of the River who come to ride down the falls from High Lake. There is such a river person here now. He lives in a hut by the lake, to the southwest. If you wish to see him, I would make haste. He looks to be almost finished with his barrel.

I wish to join your order.

Rangard looks you up and down. Only those who have heard the call of the Flame may join us. You have not.

Goodbye.

He mentioned that Bazir would likely know how to translate the dagger text. So that's our next stop.

Show him the dagger scroll.

Bazir examines the document. Fascinating. It details the construction of a mystical blade known as the Novacula Sanguineus, which seems to have been commonly used in Flame rituals before the Exodus. However this is a flawed and incomplete copy, a fraction of a much larger text, the Sanguineus Codex. In its incomplete form it is useless.

Where could we find the complete text?

I have little doubt that there is a complete copy in our archives. However getting to it would prove most difficult.

Why is that?

Our archives consist of a system of underground tunnels, which have become overwhelmed with aggressive and unfriendly cavern dwellers. No one has dared set foot in them in decades.

Could we be let into the archives?

Yes, if you wish to take the risk. The archives are beneath the Hall of Memory. Speak to Virmorn, and he will open the way. The text you seek should bear the name "Sanguineus Codex." If you were able to recover it, I could translate it.

Goodbye.

And we find the Hall of Memory with Virmorn milling around.

Bazir said you could let me into the archives.

Virmorn sighs. I suppose I can. While you are down there, if you were to eliminate the dweller infestation, I would be most grateful, and would handsomely reward you for your efforts. Come, I will show you the way.

In the middle of the room, there's an opening downward that he motions toward. We drop in and find a labrynth of buildings and passages with many locked doors. Many of the doors have outrageously high tinker checks. Luckily, our thief has outrageously high tinker skill.

Inside this particular room, which requires tinker skill over 60 to get into, we find three very powerful magical items.

After wandering around the halls for a bit, we happen upon the Sanguineus Codex.

There are a lot of creepy-crawlies down here, but for the sake of time, we ignore them.

Time to get it translated.

Give him the dagger text.

You were successful? Most impressive. This will take some time to translate. You'd best leave.

Our departure is interrupted by one of the Monatery denizens delivering a request.

You have been summoned by Sharag of the Charred. Come with me.

We arrive in the Chamber of the Charred.

Sharag sits on a pedastal with flames all around him.

Silence! You've said enough Sharag.

Infidel!!! You dare threaten Sharag of the Charred? Taste the Flame, darkling!

Flame erupts from Sharag and Khal collapses into a smoldering pile.

Forgive me. That was . . . unpleasant. A pity. Even I did not imagine that the darkness had stretched so far. Time is shorter than I thought. What we are facing has been known as the Caligo, The Tenebrae, or simply the darkness. It is a force which preys upon the angry and desperate. With promises of power or relief it seduces its victim and convinces him to allow it entry.

The darkness lives in the soul of the host, and begins to bend their will to its own. In time the possessed's transformation is complete. The man is gone, leaving only a servant of the dark. The darkness is an ancient evil, and it has followed us to the Valley. Allow me to explain. Before the fall of the Pinnacle the Children of the Flame did not pride themselves on benevolence. They had one word for those not of Flame stock, "ancilla," slave.

The peasants they ruled over called them tyrants, and the Children bore that name as a badge of honor. Like our order, the Children of old understood that the true power of the Flame could only be harnessed through the sacrifice of flesh and blood. They, however, eschewed the unsightly practice of self immolation.

They sent Guardians down to the villages below the Pinnacle to obtain victims to be burned alive in the great priests' rituals. For the Children there was little reason for concern. The plainsmen were bound by their fear, the Pinnacle was impregnable, and no force of men could withstand the fiery onslaught the high priests could rain down upon them.

But then they came . . . Like a tide, the dark swept over the plainsmen, feeding on and magnifying their fear and hatred of the Flame. Soon there were hordes of dark-possessed throwing themselves against the gates of the Pinnacle. The Children would have remained there, trapped but safe in their city stronghold, if it weren't for the treachery of the thaumaturgis, Nyflan.

Nyflan struck a deal with the dark, and at the peak of the possessed army's surge he threw open the gates. The teeming mass of the dark-infested stormed the city. Within hours the Pinnacle was lost. In desperation the high priest Zoralla gave himself to the Flame and opened a gateway, through which the surviving houses fled. The survivors traveled through such portals from world to world for several generations, with the darkness close on their heels.

Finally they arrived at the Nexus, a world between worlds, ruled by the Beast. The Beast agreed to allow passage for the Children to a safe world, and to seal the gate behind them. In return the Children had to leave House Fiersturm behind in service of the Beast. The price was high, but they consented. And so the Children arrived in the Valley.

Twelve centuries have passed since the Arrival, and with them our memories of the dark. But time forgets nothing. This darkness is the shadow of old deeds, and it has followed us even here. If it is not stopped it will devour the Valley whole. If there is any hope, it lies with the Goddess. Only she may have the power to cleanse the Valley of this taint, yet thus far she has done nothing.

Tell Sharag the words of the Goddess.

The Goddess growss weak? That is troubling indeed. However, there may be a way. It is time you learned the power of blood.

Sharag teaches you the incantation of blood magic. The shedding of blood greatly magnifies the power of the Flame magics. However only the Novacula Sanguineus can unlock the full power of the blood. If you were to use this blade to shed you blood on the Goddess' source of power, it could renew her enough to cleanse the Valley. Speak to Bazir. he is finished with the text, and will tell you the means by which the blade must be constructed.

You must construct the blade and restore the Goddess. Go to Crossing East to reach Goddess Isle. All the Valley lies in your hands. May the Flame guide your way.

You get all that?

Bazir's at his place, waiting for us.

How could we forge the Novacula Sanguineus?

Crafting the dagger will not be easy. Here is a set of plans I abstracted form the text. The blade must be forged from a rare metal known as caldus, and given the complexity of the plans, it would take an extraordinary smith to forge such a weapon. After the dagger is forged, to be complete, it must be blessed in the Flame. Bazir hands you a set of plans.

How can I withstand the power of the possessed?

I cannot offer much help, but take these potions. They may be of some use. Use your potions sparingly. They are the last I have to give.

How would I bless the dagger?

Any priest of the Flame should be able to provide such a service.

Where can I find such a smith?

I do not know. You might ask other smiths who would be capable.

Where can I obtain caldus ore?

If it is anywhere in the Valley it will be in Jerrock.

Goodbye.

We run back to Jerrock. It's a walled mining city with guards at the main entrance. If you remember, Jerrock is the town in which a warehouse was burned down, sparking the original rumors that a real rebellion was at work.

We speak with the guard at the main entrance.

I'd like to enter Jerrock.

That's too bad. Jerrock's closed under the authority of House Baern, and I wasn't informed of any visitors. The only person who gets in here is Gaston the courier.

Why are the gates closed?

Kheiron shrugs. Arson. Some of the miners went and burned down a warehouse in town. Until House Baern sorts out who was responsible, no one is allowed in or out of the city.

Jerrock is a city. House Baern can't simply close the gates.

They can, and they did. Shows what you know. Kheiron smiles menacingly.

Goodbye.

So we can't enter the city directly. The most obvious way to get in, which also gives the most skill points, is to go talk to that courier at the Academy so that we can figure out how to pretend we're couriers.

That takes time, however, so why don't we try one of the quicker ways. The first possibility is to swing in by this tree. That takes a rope and very high dexterity, though, neither of which we have.

The next option is to break into the city by removing a loose panel in the wall. But that takes more strength than any of the characters have.

And the final way is to sneak though the front at night.

It looks like Sally's stealth ability was high enough.

It looks like some of the people here are doing so hot.

We stop by the home where the Watcher's agent is supposed to be.

Isn't Irken supposed to live here?

He's dead. Zephyros executed him soon after the warehouse burnt down.

Goodbye.

Here's a child who's at home with his mother.

Get out of my home!

I think this town has seen better days.

Way back at the beginning of the game, we met a woman named Hyric at the Inn in Kellen who had a friend in Jerrock. So we stop by the friend's place.

We're not going to take you anywhere.

Tell me who you are before I kill the lot of you. I'm crazy enough to do it! Tell them Brasmir.

Right Louisa.

That's right!

I'm a friend of Hyric, she sends her regards.

Louisa hesitantly lowers her crossbow. A friend of Hyric, eh?

Yes.

Louisa drops her weapon. You must tell me how she's doing.

Tell Louisa how Hyric is doing.

You sit at length with Louisa, taking time to answer all her questions about Hyric to the best of your ability.

Louisa takes a deep, reflective breath before speaking. I used to see her regularly you know. Before the lockdown. We haven't seen her in ages, have we Brasmir?

No dear.

I miss her. I suspect I'll never see her again.

What makes you say that?

Come now child, Zephyros won't let a miner out if he doesn't have to. Let alone me and Brasmir here. Zephyros hates the two of us even more than most miners. I'm quite surprised we haven't ended up in the underground camp. Goddess be damned if I didn't think you were here to take us there.

Who's Zephyros?

Why you are really new to Jerrock. He's the cinder tyrant in charge of this hole.

Why is Zephyros upset with you?

The lockdown started after a fire was set to one of the warehouses. They accused Jano and we just knew he didn't do it, didn't we Brasmir?

Of course dear.

To set an example Zephyros sent him from his family to the underground workcamp.

Pleas continue.

Most were afraid of what would happen to them if they said something to Zephyros. I'm too old to give a hopper's ass, so I said my peace. I didn't think he would send an old lady into the mines, but now I'm not sure. Since Jano he's put a bunch of "trouble makers" down there. Good Goddess, everyone's falling to pieces around here. Somthing's gonna have to give sooner or later.

What do you mean something's gonna give?

People can only take so much dear.

Tell me about the community.

Ain't much of a community left dear, Zephyros has taken what little we had. After a hard day's work, we could forget our troubles at Prali's tavern. Zephyros even killed old Lio's bakki, as if we weren't eating poorly enough. You would think he would be more concerned with the Cave Dwellers than torturing an old man.

Perhaps we can help.

Louisa gently grasps your hand. That's a kind offer good lady, your mother raised you well. But I couldn't possibly ask someone to help me when I have no reason to trust them. Prove to me that you're a friend of the miners and I would like nothing more than to speak with you on certain matters. But until then . . . I'm afraid I just have to be sure.

Goodbye.

Note that since we sneaked into town, there's always a chance that we'll be caught while we're walking around town. That won't really come up here, but it's worth mentioning.

The party decides to look inside the mines.

A little ways inside, Jano is working away. Something of note here is that he won't talk to Kalisco because she's a flameblood and he is therefore afraid of her.

I heard how Zephyros sent you here, I'm sorry.

I appreciate the sentiment brother, but there is nothing that you can do about it. Actually, maybe there is something . . . It has been so long since I've seen my lovely wife Tilda. Perhaps you could give her something for me?

Of course I will.

I found this ring in an abandoned shaft rarely traversed by those who value their life. Though buried deep in a wall it sparkled in a way unlike any gem or jewels I'd ever seen. It has been my only solace during these darkest of times. When I wear it somehow beatings hurt less and my feet seem less weary. With much hesitation Jano hands you the ring. I will take great comfort in knowing that I have given my beautiful wife and son the endurance to pull through this. Let them know that I love them very much.

Goodbye.

Farther into the mines, we see a worker receiving a thrashing.

We walk up to the guard to have a talk with him. There are, of course, several ways to deal with the situation.

Try to convince him to leave the miner alone.

You give a compelling argument as to why Peleus is only hurting himself when he beats others. Maybe you're right. Fine, I'll leave him alone. Just get out of here before I change my mind. And don't tell anyone about this, I have a reputation to uphold.

Coming out of the mines, we sneak across town to Tilda's home to give her Jano's ring. Hopefully doing this nice stuff will ingratiate the community to us.

Jano asked me to give you this ring.

You hand Jano's ring to Tilda.

He sends it with his love.

Tilda begins weeping softly. I never could have imagined that such kindness could come from a cinder, here in Jerrock.

Goodbye.

With the hope that she trusts us now, we speak with Louisa again.

Eh? Oh, yes. Of course.

In fact I was hoping you'd come have a chat with me. We have a rather unique situation that you might be able to help resolve.

What kind of situation?

Well, you see, ou mines probe deeper into the mountains than most natural caves in the Valley. We've found there to be creature there which are not fond of our presence. They appear out of nowhere in the mines killing whoever is in their path, I'm afraid we just lost a man recently to the beasts. Goddess willing we will not lose another by the same cause.

What do you mean?

Ah, it just that the boy who was killed, he had a brother, Llerwm. Now the foolish boy has sworn to retrieve his brother's body and slay the creatures who killed his brother. I'm afraid he doesn't stand a chance. Perhaps there's something you can say that we haven't. It is our only hope to save his young life.

Goodbye.

So we head to see Llerwm.

What's the matter?

Don't feel sorry for me friend, I will have my vengeance.

What are you talking about?

The vile cave dwellers have killed my brother, but I will go back and kill each last one of them and retrieve my brother's body.

I'm sorry about what happened to your brother.

Don't be sorry for me friend, I will have my vengeance.

Try to convince Llerwm not to go.

Llerwm doesn't seem to trust you. He cuts you off mid-sentence. Look, I appreciate your caring and all, but I'm still going.

We failed the speech check. That's to be expected, though. To make this particular speech check, you pretty much have to be the smoothest motherfucker in the Valley.

Maybe we can help.

At first Llerwm seems hopeful, then he looks down and shakes his head. I'm grateful for the offer, but you have no reason to involve yourself in my personal vendetta. You have no score to settle. Besides these dirty creatures aren't going to go down without a fight. I might not make it.

All the more reason for us to help.

Alright then, there is strength in numbers, perhaps I will be able to avenge my brother after all. I'm leaving at 20, if you're not here I'll leave without you.

At 20 . . .

You actually showed up. Well, let's go!

Follow Llerwm.

This part here is why it's valid for that speech check to be so high. There is a lot of successive combat.

We kill the cavern dwellers in the first encounter and follow Llerwm to farther on.

We take these mammoths down and Llerwm pushes us farther into the cavern.

Kalisco thinks the only logical conclusion is that they are doing some sort of mining.

Again we take down the cave dwellers and follow Llewrm. This time, we're ambushed.

Nevertheless, we succeed once more and make it to the brother's body, guarded by cave dweller leaders.

We kill the creatures in the final battle.

Finally you can have a decent burial. Llerwm weeps.

Words cannot repay what you have done for me. Char or not, I will always look upon you as a sister Kalisco. Here, take this. It was my brother's.

Finally, Jeda approaches us.

I snuck into Jerrock in search of caldus ore.

That must've taken an incredible amount of skill, especially during these times. So you came for caldus? I cannot say whether I can help you with that, but I need to ask you to share your skills with those who need them desperately.

What do you need of me?

Meet me here at 4 and I will take you to a meeting where we can explain.

I will see you at 4.

The next update will likely be the final one.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
It is an amazing game that unfortunately was marred by too many bugs. Very nice LP.

I don't think I've ever gone with House Flam, at least not without reloading. The reward is probably the worst since drachs aren't that hard to come by and the quest itself isn't so interesting. House Leit lets you explore an ancient library full with nice stuff and House Char is without the best if you have a sword user since you get the Guardian Blade, easily the best sword in the game.

The end game is quite linear though with few options, which is a shame.

Fezzik

Cipher
This is the final update.

Now that we're inside Jerrock and have helped out the stuggling locals a bit, they've invited us to a meeting. We stop by Jeda's shack at 4 and she leads us.

Follow Jeda.

The party follows Jeda to the backroom of Prali's Tavern.

Friends indeed! We know nothing about these people. You are young and foolish Jeda, and I fear we will all have to pay for your naivete with our lives.

What he says could in fact be true if we were still working for the Rebellion.

Hush Lutian. What's done is done. We have no choice but to trust Jeda's judgement now. So let's waste no more time bickering and move on to the business at hand.

Agreed. Much to do and little time to prepare. Our friends here may prove to be our only hope in helping us with what must be done.

I assure you we will do whatever we can to help.

I knew that I could trust you. Zephyros must be destroyed. We must rob his armory so that we can have a fair chance of defeating House Baern.

Isn't that a bit extreme?

Quite so. But only the most dire of circumstances have pushed us to this extreme. Forceful actions must be taken soon or River Folk will have no choice but to live as slaves in Jerrock. So, are you or aren't you with us?

We're with you.

See Lutian? I was right. We can trust them.

That remains to be seen youngin'

Enough. We must work out your role in the heist. We will need two groups to pull this off the right way. One to take care of the guards watching the armory, the other to sneak inside and procure the weapons.

Taking care of the guards must be done as quickly as possible. These guards have seen action in their day and will not go down without a fight. If you think you are up to the challenge.

Procuring the weapons will require more finesse. The door will probably be locked, and inside the armory there will undoubtedly be traps to disarm. So, what would you prefer to do?

We will get the weapons.

Very well. Meet me at 23 tomorrow evening and we will set forth.

We come back at hour 23 to break into the armory.

Remember, I estimate that we have 2 hours at the most to get in and out before Baern reinforcements will arrive. So you must hurry. Meet us back at Prali's Tavern when you are done.

The mission begins.

Our first task is to break into the armory. We choose to pick the lock since our thief's tinker skill is very dependable.

Once the door is unlocked, we see where the weapons are locked up. It's a cabinet in the far corner of the room.

Inside the armory it's probably a good idea to have the thief at the head of the group. There are many traps set up in the room and it's easy to set one off. Once a trap goes off, it alerts the guards and the groups is surrounded, so that's not a good idea.

So we carefully tip-toe to the cabinet and unlock it.

We make it back to home base and deliver the weapons.

Now that you have proven your loyalty to our cause beyond the shadow of any doubt, the leader of our humble rebellion requests your presence. Come with me.

Follow Jeda.

And finally the leader of this rag-tag resistance group.

Kalisco, at last we meet. I must admit that I am surprised that a cinder . . . I apologize. It is surprising that a Child of the Flame would go to such lengths to help the helpless. But after all you have done, I have no choice but to trust you.

Still, I cannot imagine that you came to Jerrock with the sole intention of saving a group of poor miners. So, tell me, why did you come here?

We came for caldus ore.

There is obviously something very special about this caldus ore. I think that it is somehow behind everything that has happened in Jerrock recently.

What do you mean?

Caldus ore is exceptionally rare and has always been considered essentially useless, not as hard as iron, not as pretty or malleable as gold. Then one day, about a year ago, without explanation they had us start mining for it. Forcing us to dig through miles of rock to find the elusive veins. House Baern has never been kind to the miners of Jerrock, but after that things took a dramatic turn for the worse.

Our hours were increased dramatically and our wages were reduced to a pittance. Those who complained were beaten, or worse. Then, six months ago, House Baern burned down one of its own warehouses and blamed it on a mythical miner's rebellion. They used the fire as an excuse to close the city gates and declare martial law. All the River shopkeepers were forced to close their doors. They, along with every other able bodied man or woman of the Goddess, were forced to work the mines.

Again our hours lengthened. Our wages were reduced, this time to water and scraps of bread. And our instructions were changed. We were now to comletely abandon the mining of iron, gold and gems and focus entirely on caldus. Many have died since that day, worked to death. And with every miner who was killed our hours increased and my resolve grew. As you can see, the mythical miner's revold didn't remain mythical for long.

Now with your help we have arms for our people. Now is the time to strike. But one thing stands between us, and any chance of victory and freedom. The leader of House Baern, Zephyros. He is an extraordinarily cunning leader, and is rumored to be some kind of dark magician. While Zephyros lives to lead his men against us, all hope is dead.

I need you to kill Zephyros. If he falls, then with luck, the others will as well. Do this and I will get you the caldus ore you seek.

Zephyros deserves death, and I will kill him.

Good. Take this. It was given to me by my father. It should help you with your task. Subei places his hand on your shoulder. You have proven the words of many River folk wrong, Kalisco. You are truly a hero who transcends race, a hero to humanity. May your Flame guide you well.

Now go, we have little time to spare. I will find you when the task is done.

I might be missing something, but Zephyros' building is barred shut and I couldn't find a way in. So instead, we'll let ourselves get captured, talk to Zephyros in person and then come back to kill him if he lets us go.

The man himself.

What sort of problem?

As the head of House Baern it is my responsibility to ensure the steady flow of ore from our mines. I now have reason to believe that that flow, and indeed all of Jerrock is in jeopardy. I have received information that the miners are in the midst of planning an all out revolt. Most miners know their place, but there is someone, an instigator, inciting them to violent revolution. Their first action was to burn down a warehouse. I can only imagine what's next. I need you to befriend the miners and find their leader, the source of this insurgency, and report back to me.

We'll help you in exchange for caldus ore.

At the mention of caldus ore Zephyros' eyes light up. Very well. If you succeed I am sure I can find you a scrap of caldus. Return to me when you have any information about the insurrection. And watch yourselves, I'll be keeping a close eye on you.

Goodbye.

And we return.

We've learned that you've ruined this village, and that you are to pay your debt in blood.

Zephyros laughs mockingly. You cannot defeat me.

I thought these welps might cause trouble. I'll wash my hands in their blood.

This can actually be a fairly difficult fight. But this time around it doesn't take too long to wrap it up.

When we get outside, Subei thanks us.

He escorts us out of town and speaks to us once more.

Subei is holding a small box. Jerrock is about to become a very ugly place. I cannot say whether we will win this conflict. He pauses and holds out the box. Inside this box is all the caldus ore that I've managed to steal from the storeroom. I know that this ore is somehow instrumental to House Baern's plans. It must not fall back into their hands. I need you to take it and leave Jerrock. Perhaps that will be victory enough. Perhaps it will have to be.

He hands you the box of caldus ore. To help you along your travels, I would like to share gifts bestowed upon me by the Goddess. Listen carefully for there's little time.

Subei improves your skill with river magic and teaches you Cycle of Life. May you take these small rewards as symbols of our undying friendship.

Now that we have the ore, we need a blacksmith. As we were told in the Citadel, the best blacksmith in the Valley is Alves in Kellen, so we head there.

Upon arrival, the party finds that the darkness has accelerated greatly. Kellen is entirely overrun by creatures twisted by the darkness.

There's a big battle as every one of them notices the party's arrival.

Antius and Vauni appear to have transformed and are still together. Isn't that sweet.

Finally, we reach Alves' shop, where he had been riding out the attacks.

What happened here?

They arrived two nights ago. By the time I awoke, grabbed my hammer, and ran outside, they'd killed half the town. I tried to get some of the others into my shop, but I couldn't get to anyone, they were everywhere. I fought them as long as I could, even managed to kill a couple of them. But I was no match for their numbers, all I could do was barricade myself in my shop and wait.

We need you to forge a dagger.

You fought through those creatures to have a dagger made?

Tell him about the darkness and the power of the dagger.

Alves takes a look at the dagger plans and the ore. Sounds like I'd better take a look. This ore is like nothing I've ever seen before. But I think I'll be able to work with it. Let's find out.

Alves heats the ore and begins hammering it out. In a few hours he finished the blade. Here you are. Though I'm sure I'd be safest with you, I see that your party is full.

Very well then. Since you've cleared a path, I'm going to head for the Cup and Candle. If the Citadel can't protect itself from those things nothing can. Perhaps we will meet again. Goddess protect you friends.

Goodbye.

Taking Alves on as a party member isn't a bad idea since he's an excellent fighter and there are plenty of fights ahead. But we don't really need him.

Now we need the dagger to be blessed by the Flame, so it's the Priestess' turn to do us a favor.

We seek the blessing of the Flame to create a Sanguineous blade.

She closes her eyes and nods. I will bring forth the Flame and fill this vessel.

Bless the Novacula.

A bright light fills the air as the Priestess calls forth the Flame upon the blade.

Use it wisely.

With the blade consecrated, the final stage of the game begins. The Goddess urges us onward.

Auto-travel is now disengaged, so we walk to Crossing East to take the raft. On the road just outside the Citadel, a pack of dark figures attack.

They're not too tough, but they're also not the end.

The next encounter has much more bite. A quartet of major possessed who hit like a hammer. In this fight, we have some Guardians to help us, but they're mostly just punching bags.

We have to summon a golem to take some of the beating for us, but we finally take this group down.

There are a couple more encounters along the way, some more difficult than others. In the interest of time, we sneak past them.

When we finally reach Crossing East, there is one last fight at the dock, this one probably the most difficult of the game.

There to fight alongside us is Vectrix, the necromancer from the Citadel who we chose not to turn in.

Now that I've found you, let us make waste of these vile creatures. Minions, attack!

And so the fight begins. The zombies manage to hold off many of the possessed for a while.

Our plan in this fight is to summon a couple of golems to act as damage absorbers if necessary and try to slow down the approach of the possessed by using our thief's cripple attack with her bow.

Finally, they're defeated and Vectrix speaks.

The raft is boarded.

We arrive at Goddess Isle, step atop the alter, and begin the blood ritual.

With that, the game is over.

And the credits.

I hope you guys enjoyed this. Thanks for watching and thanks for the supportive comments along the way.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
:salute:

Very nice LP. If I hadn't just played through the game myself, I would have gone for another round.

It's too bad that they never did the expansions or sequel they were considering, seeing how they had a good system and a pretty well thought out world.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The dialogue options I've seen from this are very disapointing. They seem extremely basic and completely lacking in personality. I'm confused - wasn't C&C supposed to be one of this game's high-points? Well I guess technically you can still have it, but it is pretty much meaningless to me without that human element.

Fezzik

Cipher
If you'd like to see a defense of the game's dialogues or what they do for the game, I won't be able to give much until at least Wednesday because I'm very busy until then. Suffice it to say for now that I would agree that the game didn't try to make characters that really got your attention through dialogue the way games like Torment or Bloodlines did. However, I quite enjoyed the interactions while playing the game because the characters tended not to seem like caricatures if memory serves. Plus, I found that the skill-checks and the like were well-implemented.

But if you'd like to hear more than that from me, you'll have to wait. Maybe someone else who's played the game can chime in.

Also, if you're looking for discussion on this topic, you might make another topic in General RPG Discussion bringing up the question of the importance of personality in dialogue over things like skill-checks and the like. I doubt many people will visit this topic because there are so many pictures on this page.

mondblut

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
The dialogue options I've seen from this are very disapointing. They seem extremely basic and completely lacking in personality. I'm confused - wasn't C&C supposed to be one of this game's high-points? Well I guess technically you can still have it, but it is pretty much meaningless to me without that human element.

Go play some LucasArts adventures, please.

vazha

Arcane
Even though 80 % of pictures are missing, this is an astonishingly good LP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom