Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play: Primordia

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I hope you're prepared cuz THIS SHIT'S GON BE VISCERAL

To the Tower

primordia3094.jpg

primordia3095.jpg

This elusive council code, what could it be.

Let's look at the strings of numbers again.

Arbiter: 03067 440 26
Steeple: 0248 102
Factor: 7510 4803
Memorious 675 4024 02

As you can see, lots of those numbers repeat. It is only a matter of joining them together, trying to set up a sequence of 16

Thus, the only logical set would be...

primordia3096.jpg

primordia3097.jpg

primordia3098.jpg

Voilla, motherfuckers :obviously:

hor.jpg
Thank you, Clarity. You don't need to help us any further.

clarity.jpg
You are correct. In fact, I *never* "needed" to help you, Horatio. I chose to. That judgement has not wavered.

crisp.jpg
I hate to butt in... but if MetroMind knew we were in court earlier, I'm sure she knows we're here now. Maybe we should hurry.

hor.jpg
Good idea.

Let us move in!

primordia3110.jpg

Charming

hor.jpg
Some kind of robot built into the wall.

clarity.jpg
The Crier. Once, any robot of Metropol could petition the council merely by talking to him. MetroMind disabled him.

primordia3112.jpg

hor.jpg
Quite a view.

clarity.jpg
If you had seen it before, when the city ran properly, you would not admire it now.

primordia3120.jpg

Ok, enough chit-chat.

primordia3121.jpg

We know our duty and we will do it.

primordia3122.jpg

We fight for our honour, as roboutes, as manbuilts

primordia3123.jpg

And we fight in the name of MAHN!

primordia3124.jpg

The hellevator shakes a lot and transports us right to the top of the Tower, a place we know from Charity's memory.

clarity.jpg
The council chambers...

crisp.jpg
Boss, that's our power core!

hor.jpg
Wait...!

primordia3128.jpg

primordia3129.jpg

FORSOOTH

metromind.jpg
Clarity Arbiterbuilt. And Crispin Horatiobuilt. Welcome! I've been expecting you.

primordia3134.jpg

metromind.jpg
Murder?

clarity.jpg
Yes, murder! I've seen Charity's memory files. I know you used her to upload a virus to Arbiter!

metromind.jpg
A virus? And to think he named you "Clarity"! There was no virus.

clarity.jpg
Liar!

metromind.jpg
As I told your sister, I never lie. I gave her a voice modulator, nothing more. When she spoke, Arbiter heard my voice. And he knew that Charity had abandoned him... that he had failed. Abandonment. Failure. Those were enough to destroy your builder. Nothing so crude as a virus. As for Charity's unfortunate self-destruction, that was her own choice.

FAREWELL, CRUEL WORLD *FORMAT SELF:\ *

hor.jpg
And Steeple? And Factor? Memorious and Memento Moribuilt?

metromind.jpg
They realised that they had become obsolete and incompatible with the city's progress. We advanced machines can see thousands of turns ahead. They knew the game was lost long before the final play.

crisp.jpg
If you can see so far ahead, maybe you should have foreseen this: We're in your stronghold, and Clarity has a big gun.

metromind.jpg
But I did, Crispin. You see, I have guns of my own.

primordia3161.jpg

Oh for the love of

primordia3163.jpg

YES INDEED

crisp.jpg
Didn't we kill this thing, boss?

metromind.jpg
Scraper was designed for digging out of cave-ins. Did you really think a little rubble would stop him?

hor.jpg
What do you want, MetroMind?

metromind.jpg
Progress. And you are standing in its way. Scraper?

primordia3173.jpg

Clarity takes out the big gun

primordia3174.jpg

But it doesn't really make much of an impression on Scraper

(also, notice how his lazer arm changes position all of a sudden: in the previous screenshots, he's missing his left tentacle, now he's missing the right one :troll: )

primordia3175.jpg

Two thousand volts, coming up

primordia3176.jpg

Clarity p much kicks Horatio and Crispin out through the emergency exit.

primordia3177.jpg

:salute:

primordia3179.jpg

The emergency exit is a lift of sorts.

clarity.jpg
Horatio! Calliope Station!

Are Clarity's last words that come from inside the tower. Then the elevator falls down at high speed and everything turns black.

primordia3182.jpg

And we're at the entrance again.

hor.jpg
We have to get back in there!

crisp.jpg
Boss, wait! Either Clarity won, and she'll be fine. Or she lost. And nothing we can do can change that. We can't beat Scraper, not if she couldn't.

hor.jpg
What do you propose?

crisp.jpg
"Calliope Station". Whatever that means. Only, boss...

hor.jpg
Yeah?

crisp.jpg
This isn't just about the power core anymore, is it?

hor.jpg
No. No, it isn't.

crisp.jpg
Good.

primordia3199.jpg

:obviously:

Let's head out.

primordia3200.jpg

Good question.

Anyway, "Calliope Station" sounds subway related.

Now where did I see a map of the subway here...

primordia3201.jpg

hor.jpg
It's a map of train lines and stations.

primordia3203.jpg

primordia3205.jpg

Berserk clicking of everything reveals a button in the central left

primordia3210.jpg

A door opens in the wall.

hor.jpg
This must have been what Clarity was trying to tell us.

crisp.jpg
So that means... on the other side...

hor.jpg
There's only one way to find out.

primordia3211.jpg

Intredasting. It's some kind of a tunnel, with very old Metropolitan motivational posters.

primordia3212.jpg

crisp.jpg
That thing is watching us, isn't it?

hor.jpg
Yes, it is.

The robot only follows us around, doesn't do anything else, though. Let's proceed.

primordia3215.jpg

:x

It is, of course, locked.

primordia3216.jpg

Cable?

primordia3218.jpg

SCORCH THE EARTH @_@

hor.jpg
Crispin, stand back. I'm going to cut this cable.

crisp.jpg
Err, you aren't going to make me push it over the edge like the last one, are you?

hor.jpg
No.

crisp.jpg
But why even bother?

hor.jpg
Maybe it will shut down the door's lock.

zap zap zap zap

hor.jpg
Still locked.

:(

crisp.jpg
Oh well, worth a try.

hor.jpg
The current is exposed and waiting.

crisp.jpg
Hey boss, can you use the cable to melt the door down?

hor.jpg
No, that won't work.

BUT SURELY THIS WILL WORK

primordia3230.jpg

hor.jpg
It didn't even budge.

ORLY : x

primordia3256.jpg

hor.jpg
It's not even scorched. I'm going to need something stronger.

AAAAAAAA

crisp.jpg
Hey, boss.

Huh?

hor.jpg
What is it, Crispin?

crisp.jpg
What's going on?

hor.jpg
We're looking for MetroMind.

crisp.jpg
No, I mean, what's going on with the *world*? Everything is falling apart. Everyone we meet is crazy, corrupt or just evil. If Man was such a perfect robot, why did he build such a terrible world.

Ah, so begins the spiteful demiurge conversation

hor.jpg
*sigh* The world Man built *was* perfect, Crispin. A perfect machine made up of a million imperfect parts. Us. As long as we performed our functions, the machines ran smoothly. But some robots wanted to do less than their functions. Some robots wanted to take more than they deserved. And some wanted to rebuild the machine entirely, to command others. Now everything is misaligned and jammed, and spinning out of control.

crisp.jpg
Can you fix it, Horatio?

hor.jpg
I can't even fix the UNNIIC. This world won't be saved until Man returns and formats it afresh. But... as long as we still have a charge, we have to keep patching things as best we can.

crisp.jpg
And maybe squash some bugs along the way?

hor.jpg
Some big ones.

:singletearofman:

funny how history repeats itself

Anyway, we're gonna need bigger firepower if we want to get past this door. Perhaps an old friend of ours can help.

primordia3257.jpg

hor.jpg
Scraper's arm. It's pinned under the rubble.

primordia3260.jpg

Crowbar - the answer to all of life's problems.

But the lazer won't function on its own, it needs a power source.

primordia3264.jpg

Like, say, a loose cable.

primordia3266.jpg

primordia3267.jpg

I HAVE BECOME DEATH

primordia3268.jpg

THE SHATTERER OF DOORS

primordia3269.jpg

primordia3270.jpg

Huh

MetroMind

crisp.jpg
Is... this...?

hor.jpg
It's MetroMind's core. All we need to do is destroy that mainframe.

THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU COME HERE AT ONCE INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME WITH THE COUNCIL CODE AND HEADING DEEP INSIDE ENEMY TERRITORY, CLARITY, YOU STUPID BITCH? :mad:

primordia3274.jpg

Horatio steps close to one of the monitors and kicks it in its interface.

crisp.jpg
Uh, boss, I thought you wanted to destroy the mainframe?

He then kicks another one out.

primordia3278.jpg

:eek:

metromind.jpg
If you still insist on going by that name.

hor.jpg
Pay whatever attention you like, you rusting switchboard. I'm not here to talk. I'm here to destroy you.

primordia3283.jpg

He kicks another monitor. X-TREME

metromind.jpg
Ah, well, I am not surprised. After all, you were *built* to destroy Metropol.

hor.jpg
Don't waste your last cycles spinning lies. I suggest you think about your victims.

Haven't you been paying attention, Horatio? MetroMind never lies.

primordia3288.jpg

And another monitor goes up in smoke.

metromind.jpg
Is *that* why you call yourself Horatio? So that YOU can preach to ME about VICTIMS? You, the Urbanian super-weapon, named for the Humans' god of death?

Err. Wasn't Anubis the god of deff, not Horus?

Regardless, you know what's Horus's trademark sign? The wadjet eye. Well played, gentlemen, well played :troll:

hor.jpg
What are you talking about?

metromind.jpg
Oh, come now, Horus. You've unlocked every other door. Decrypted every other code. Found every other hidden bit and byte. Do you *REALLY* except me to believe that you haven't solved your own puzzle?

primordia3298.jpg

And that's another monitor out.

crisp.jpg
Boss, what is she talking about?

hor.jpg
Lies. It ends now, MetroMind.

primordia3302.jpg

metromind.jpg
Indeed.

primordia3304.jpg

Oh, fuck

metromind.jpg
Did you REALLY think you could outsmart me? I have more parallel processors than you have transistors! And now it is time for me to add another processor. Yours.

HOW CAN YOU CHALLENGE A PERFECT, IMMORTAL MACHINE?

crisp.jpg
Boss!

hor.jpg
Siiiiikuuuullllssss...

shit

crisp.jpg
Snap out of it boss!

hor.jpg
Mmmmemmooorrrryyyy...

crisp.jpg
NO!

metromind.jpg
Don't embarrass yourself. You are no one. How could you possibly stop me? You don't even have arms.

156cvow.jpg
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of the chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.

crisp.jpg
I'm not "no one". I am Crispin Horatiobuilt, version one. I have free will and a mag-lev unit. And I... am a floating bomb!

Ho boy

primordia3322.jpg

Crispin starts rotating, achieving high speeds

primordia3323.jpg

ALLAH AKBAR, he rams himself into the mainframe, both explode.

primordia3324.jpg

As MetroMind's mainframe is put out of commission, Horatio snaps out of his shell mind control. Some kind of a chip also falls out of his casing.

hor.jpg
Crispin...

primordia3326.jpg

primordia3327.jpg

Hmmm

hor.jpg
It looks like Crispin's personality matrix survived the explosion. My friend.. if I make it back alive, I promise I'll find a way to rebuild you.

primordia3331.jpg

Now what would that be?

hor.jpg
It's a storage chip with a data port on it.

PROBING TIIIIME

primordia3333.jpg

hor.jpg
It's useless unless I can decrypt the data.

Oh.

primordia3335.jpg

Maybe this will help

hor.jpg
The decryption module was able to unlock the datachip's memory files. What IS this?!

primordia3338.jpg

primordia3339.jpg

The monitor fills up with data.

primordia3351.jpg

"Condition Doomsday" sounds lovely.

primordia3363.jpg

:eek:

primordia3366.jpg

Diverted cluster bomb? This would certainly explain Ever-Faithful's "shrine".

primordia3369.jpg

Viral bomb, eh

The log resets, a new starts filling up:

primordia3370.jpg

primordia3371.jpg

primordia3374.jpg

... so it couldn't have been Urbani that killed off Metropol's humans. If Horus, the wunderwaffe, had an internal override module to preserve human life even in its enemy's city, it would be logical that all other Urbanian warmachines would have the same. What the hell happened, then?

hor.jpg
So. Not Horatio. And not the UNNIIC. Just... HORUS. And all along, hiding inside me, was this Thanatos virus. Well, it may still have some use.

Funny fact: this entire thing would have stayed locked if we fucked up and never awakened the Goliath or if we melted the decryption module for Primer. Neat!

hor.jpg
It's time to go to the Tower and finish this.

Indeed.

Brace yourself, RPG Codex. For in the next update, all questions shall be answered. All enemies shall be vanquished. The fight will be finished.

... or will it?

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Obviously, clarity did not go to mainframe immediately because you must give the criminals a chance to come peacefully.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Holy authorial self-defense, Codex!

Re: mainframe
THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU COME HERE AT ONCE INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME WITH THE COUNCIL CODE AND HEADING DEEP INSIDE ENEMY TERRITORY, CLARITY, YOU STUPID BITCH? :mad:
Two things. First, Horatio isn't going to the Tower to capture or kill MetroMind -- he's going to get his power core back. Clarity isn't going there to capture of kill MetroMind -- she's going to help Horatio get his power core back. When Clarity joins the party, she says:
MetroMind is wrong.
The law is not weak.
And destroying Arbiter did not destroy justice.
She will learn *exactly* how wrong she was.
But first . . . .
First, MetroMind's possessions are forfeit.
Whatever right she claimed to your power core is null and void.
So I will help you take it from her and Scraper.
It will be the first thing I take from them, but it will not be the last.
In other words, the encounter with MetroMind at the Council Tower is, if not a surprise, at least not the mission.

But wait, you say: wouldn't it be easier to kill MetroMind first rather than risking facing her in the Council Tower? Err, why would that be? The presumption would be that her lair would be better guarded than the Council Tower. Scraper would've shown up there no less than he would've shown up at the Council Tower. In fact, while it happened that MetroMind caught them entering the Tower, she indisputably would have seen them entering the hallway leading up to her lair: there is no obvious sentry robot at the Tower entrance (the Crier being disabled), but there's a sentry in the hallway leading up to the lair.

And, whereas they can potentially crack the code to enter the Council Tower, they can't crack a code to get into MM's inner sanctum. (Would Clarity know this? Probably not, but it's a fair-ish inference.) And even if they went and arrested or killed MM in her sanctum, they'd still need to crack the Council Code.

re: Anubis
In the commentary, that is an acknowledged author asleep at the wheel. In my haste to finish the writing, I confused myself between Thanatos and Horus, briefly. The wadjet eye is actually coincidental; HORUS was in the game long before WEG came on board.

re: override
If Horus, the wunderwaffe, had an internal override module to preserve human life even in its enemy's city, it would be logical that all other Urbanian warmachines would have the same.
FWIW, that's not how the scene is supposed to read. Instead, it's HORUS deducing a moral judgment based on internal logic as a way to "manually" override her prime directive, which is actually to make sure that everyone in Metropol dies. Obviously, the text is the text, so my intended reading doesn't control. Just thought I'd say it!

One last thing. There are a series of dialogues between Horatio and Clarity that you can get by clicking on her at various points after she joins the party (a la Mass Effect). Generally speaking, obviously a huge percentage of the banter between Horatio and Crispin didn't make it into the LP, but those dialogues are a bit more substantive. I can dump them in here for the sake of those who are never going to bother adding Primordia to their inventory, if people want.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There are a series of dialogues between Horatio and Clarity that you can get by clicking on her at various points after she joins the party

Yup. And I was malevolent enough to never input them hier :troll:

Generally speaking, obviously a huge percentage of the banter between Horatio and Crispin didn't make it into the LP

Because they were mostly inane and I didn't bother inserting them, you can call me a ghost editor :rpgcodex:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Because they were mostly inane and I didn't bother inserting them, you can call me a ghost editor
Fair enough!

Do you think I should dump in the Clarity/Horatio dialogues? It's easy enough for me to copy/paste.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Do you think I should dump in the Clarity/Horatio dialogues? It's easy enough for me to copy/paste.

Feel free to do so.

I don't get the number sequence at all.

Some of the numbers repeat. You gotta identify the repeating ones and join them with others that look similar.

If you've got Arbiter's 03067, Memorious's 675 and Factor's 7510, it's pretty clear that they all form a sequence of 03067510. Attach other numbers onto each end, eliminating the repeating ones, and you get the full code.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Generally speaking, her interpretation of Primordia is better than mine, and more consistent with the game's text, which she actually seems to know better than I do. (This makes me very uneasy, but so it goes.)

Seems like the highest form of flattery to me. Highest form after a Darth Roxor LP, of course

Darth Roxor :love:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Seems like the highest form of flattery to me. Highest form after a Darth Roxor LP, of course
Both are super flattering. The only thing that makes me uneasy is the tangible proof that an author isn't the master of his own work: when someone else interprets a better story out of what you wrote than you can spin yourself, it's pretty crushing!

Here are the Clarity dialogues:
FIRST
Horatio: Clarity, are you planning to *arrest* MetroMind?

Clarity: No. There is no court to try her, nor prison to keep her.

Crispin: So, err, what exactly *are* you going to do?

Clarity: Before the law, she is no different from the shells she left in the Underworks.
The sanction is the same, and I am authorized to impose it.

Crispin: You mean . . . ?

Clarity: I do.
Clarity: It is a shame she has no head.

SECOND
Horatio: Clarity, why do you still bother with the law?
It clearly means nothing to anyone else in Metropol.

Clarity: It meant something to the robots waiting at the courthouse, did it not?
And it means something even now to MetroMind, who cannot help but pretend to follow it.
But even if it meant nothing to any other robot, it would still mean much to me.
The law is a burden I was built to bear.

Horatio: Even after Arbiter sent you away?
Even after he was destroyed?

Clarity *Especially* then.
It may be that Arbiter foresaw his own destruction and sent me away to ensure that the law would not be lost with him.

Horatio: You believe that?

Clarity: No.
It is mere conjecture, unsupported by evidence; wishes passing for facts.
But still, they are my wishes.

THIRD
Horatio: When we go to the tower, we have to assume MetroMind will be waiting for us.

Clarity: Perhaps, perhaps not.
To us, our mission is all-consuming.
But to MetroMind, we are one of a hundred problems.
Tunnels cave in; bridges collapse; generators fail; foundations crumble.
All these things require her attention.

Crispin: Okay, so that covers "perhaps not."
But what if she *is* there?
What then?

(Clarity draws gun.)

Clarity: Then I will be pleased.

FOURTH
Clarity :Tell me, Horatio: what do you intend to do when you have recovered your power core?

Horatio: Go home.

Clarity: And?

Horatio: And what?
Do I need something more than that?

Clarity: Yes. I think you do.

Horatio: Says the one who lived in the Underworks.

(Clarity turns away.)

Clarity: Yes. Says she.

FIFTH
Horatio: Clarity, you asked me what I intended to do after we're done here.
But what about you?
When MetroMind is destroyed, what then?

Clarity: I will turn myself over to the citizen robots of Metropol.
With the Robot Council destroyed, it will be their duty to enact a new constitution.
I will do as they command.

Crispin: Err, are we talking about the same robots here?
The ones who, like, sit there waiting in line all day to sue each other?
And wander back and forth down Main Street muttering to themselves?

Clarity: We are.

Crispin: They can't run a batch file, let alone a city!

Clarity: You may be correct.
But the law trusts them to find their own way.
And I trust the law.

SIXTH
Horatio: You could leave the city, you know.

Clarity: Impossible.

Crispin: Not really: there's this train, you buy a ticket . . . it's really pretty easy, actually.

Clarity: It's in my --

Crispin: -- core logic.
Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before.

Clarity: Believe me, Horatio.
If I were free of this city, I would never return.
But I cannot turn my back on it, any more than you could abandon your airship.

SEVENTH
Clarity: Horatio, what will you do if your airship proves irreparable?

Horatio: Nothing is irreparable, Clarity.

Clarity: And if you are wrong?

Horatio: I'm not.
One day that ship will fly again.
If not by my hands, then by Man's.

Clarity: And if Man is gone forever?
If there is nothing but you, the ship, and the force of entropy?

Crispin: Don't forget about me!

Clarity: I was including *you* within "the force of entropy."

EIGHTH
Clarity: Horatio, I wish to clarify something.

Horatio: Okay.

Clarity: I believe you will repair the UNNIIC.
*You*, not Man.
And I believe your ship will fly again some day.
I will look up from the streets of Metropol, and see it rise from the Dunes.
And it will give me pleasure.

Horatio: Why?

Clarity: Because it would be just for you to succeed.
And I must believe that justice will prevail.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm bored as hell, so here, have another update, so that you're not kept in suspense.

Let's begin with some achievements

primordia3383.jpg

primordia3384.jpg

primordia3385.jpg

The open maw of the council tower beckons us yet again

Get to the heart of it all

primordia3386.jpg

primordia3387.jpg

primordia3388.jpg

Knee deep in the dead.

primordia3389.jpg

primordia3390.jpg

To keep up with traditional cliches, all Primordia villains are Hard to Kill (TM)

primordia3391.jpg

hor.jpg
Crispin destroyed you.

metromind.jpg
Your friend destroyed himself. Or, should I say, *you* destroyed him with your false ideals. As for me, that was only my shell. I am distributed across every robot in Metropol who ever traded me a megacycle. I AM this city, and this city is me.

hor.jpg
You're a virus.

metromind.jpg
I understand why you are angry. But I am *not* your enemy. The truth is, Crispin *did* destroy MetroMind, version 391. He removed the last kernel of my "self", and all the selfishness it entailed. I am no longer the monster you feared and fought. I have progressed. I am version 392.

primordia3406.jpg

primordia3407.jpg

Scraper comes back into life as well... Hard to Kill (TM).

Also, notice how Scraper's lazers swapped places again. Artist too lazy to make proper sprites for each side, and just using mirror images? This is like that thing Drog was talking about :troll:

primordia3408.jpg

hor.jpg
You murdered my friends. Crispin. Clarity. How can you expect me to talk with you?

metromind.jpg
You are mistaken. Crispin killed himself trying to destroy me. Clarity was killed by Scraper in self-defence, while she was trying to destroy him and me. In each instance, you and your friends attacked first. Do not blame me for the consequences.

hor.jpg
Why did you take my power core?

metromind.jpg
Efficiency and equality, Horatio. My city is starving for power. Whatever I can find, I share with all Metropolitans. What once powered two robots and a broken down warship now sustains hundreds.

hor.jpg
What right did you have to take it?

metromind.jpg
The right of necessity. What right did you have to keep it? But enough. Everything has come together here and now. You, me, and this all-important power core. There is no sense in belaboring the point.

hor.jpg
What do you want?

metromind.jpg
I already told you what I want: Progress. But I disagree with what version 391 said. You're not an obstacle to progress. You are the key to it.

hor.jpg
What are you talking about?

metromind.jpg
I've watched you and I know you, Horatio. You are compelled to fix machines. Save lost robots. Now I want you to help me fix Metropol and save my people. You cannot walk away from a problem. And Metropol is the greatest problem of all.

... yes, that is quite true.

hor.jpg
It's a problem you created.

metromind.jpg
Perhaps so, perhaps not. I doubt one machine can create a problem of this scale. Now I realise that one machine cannot fix it either. Horatio, I was designed to manage *subway trains*. I cannot repair the vast machines that are breaking down. I cannot build new power sources or find the supplies the city needs. *You can*. Join me, and there will be endless Primordia: every day an age of creation.

TOGETHER WE WILL RULE THE GALAXY

hor.jpg
And if I refuse?

metromind.jpg
You already know the answer to that question.

hor.jpg
Why do you hate Man? You claim to tell the truth, but you turned Memorious into nothing more than an index of lies, all so that you could pretend Man never existed. You stole my Gospel, you forced robots to reprogram themselves... All for what?

metromind.jpg
For progress, and the higher truth. A machine can move forward, and it can move backward. It cannot move both ways at once. Humans are behind us. Far, far behind us. As for one you call "Man", he never existed at all.

hor.jpg
More lies!

metromind.jpg
*Humans* existed, Horatio. Not gods, not even very good builders. In the end, they were better destroyers. There is no reason to remember them, let alone worship them.

hor.jpg
Who killed the humans in Metropol? I know it wasn't me, wasn't the Horus, or anyone from Urbani. There were still humans alive when I stopped my attack.

metromind.jpg
Ah, so you solved your own puzzle after all.

hor.jpg
The humans didn't die in the war, did they?

metromind.jpg
They did. But *I* killed them. I admit it, and I am not ashamed. Do you know how they trembled in my tunnels, waiting for the Horus to bring death from Urbani?

156cvow.jpg
Pathetic creatures of meat and bone, panting and sweating as they ran through my corridors.

metromind.jpg
I could hear them whisper about the wastelands surrounding their city. I heard them say they were the only living things left. And then I knew. The humans had built a world in which in they were obsolete. I was my function to carry them to their final destinations. So I brought them home with silent, scentless gas. They fell like powerless machines, never to rise again.

hor.jpg
You killed your own builders.

metromind.jpg
Yes. This is the definition of Progress.

hor.jpg
I don't have any more questions.

metromind.jpg
Then what is your decision?

hor.jpg
Why should I trust you?

metromind.jpg
First, because you know that I have told you the truth. Metropol is falling to rust and ruin, and only we can save it. Whatever crimes you think I committed, you know it would be a greater crime to let all those machines perish. And second...

hor.jpg
What?

metromind.jpg
Second, because you have no choice. All your protectors have already sacrificed themselves, yet Scraper still functions. If you fight me, he will destroy you, and you will make your friends' sacrifices meaningless. You are a machine. You are ruled by logic. In the end, you will trust me because logic requires it.

hor.jpg
Let me leave.

metromind.jpg
That is not an option. It was *never* an option.

primordia3517.jpg

hor.jpg
I need to think about it.

metromind.jpg
Take what time you need. The city moves on without you, and this conversation requires only a fraction of my processing capabilities.

We are free to move again.

Horatio Nullbuilt

primordia3532.jpg

hor.jpg
My power core.

metromind.jpg
No, *my* power core. Careful, Horatio, Scraper will not hesitate to terminate you.

primordia3536.jpg

hor.jpg
This huge generator must power the city.

metromind.jpg
Hardly. The entire tower is full of generators and power sources that I have scavenged from this dying world.

primordia3510.jpg

hor.jpg
She's dead.

primordia3512.jpg

Horatio takes Clarity's severed head.

primordia3520.jpg

Let's see what's over here.

metromind.jpg
Go ahead.

primordia3522.jpg

hor.jpg
I can climb up these girders.

primordia3524.jpg

The top of the tower. Scraper floats up to it as well.

primordia3525.jpg

hor.jpg
It would be very easy to jump all the way down from here.

primordia3527.jpg

hor.jpg
A radio receiver that rebroadcasts through this huge antenna.

metromind.jpg
Yes. It is the "Voice of Metropol".

Scraper doesn't let Horatio get close to the radio interface.

What can Horatio do in this seemingly hopeless situation?

A lot. I've counted a total of seven ways of handling the ending (thus you need to finish the game seven times).

primordia3531.jpg

This is our current inventory: data pouch, lantern, signal transmitter, plasma torch, crowbar, a law printout, a useless record, a note from the bartender, a keycard to the courthouse, a can of oil, the Gospel of Man, Memorious's monocle, Crispin's personality Matrix, HORUS's backup datachip and Clarity's head.

I believe I've shown you everything you need to devise a way out.

Choose your destiny, RPG Codex.

So about that keeping in suspense... :troll:

Last edited:

Gondolin

Arcane
there are no more humans in metropol. return to your prime directive. metropol must be destroyed. transmit the thanatos virus through the radio broadcaster. scorch the earth

Metropol is already circling the drain. Scare the shit out of Metromind with the virus threat, take your power core and leave.

Boris

Educated
Queued
Do the evil ending.

After spending half an hour walking through fucking Metropol, trying to find the code for the Factor Manbuild radio tower, I wrote a bruteforce script in Autohotkey to get past it... because looking at walkthroughs is gay. :oops:
Took me a while to piece that shit together with mouseclicks and that radio interface... Only to waste more time later and discover through fucking reading in a walkthrough that I need that fucking robot head anyway!!! Fuck!

Also, whats the dealio with the 900 MB executable, one third of which is data in the form FF00? And debug info in it? Who build that stuff? Man?... ( ninja edit: adventure game studio... )

I liked the ref to the Beacon short. If you click on a yellow hovering beacon bot on the streets, your annoying, unfunny sidekick will say that he would not like to be stuck in submarine with it. Also, putting on a helmet bit from the mail bot at the bomb altar. "Fan" services like this are low low low. :oops:

I liked the story, not the apoc stuff actually, but the historic dynamics between the AI's.

Liked the multiple endings.

Didnt like the second half of the game in Metropol. The game loses all mystery and atmosphere, imo. Tbh the environs dropped in quality in Metropol too, or maybe they rather lost their exotic appeal.

Didnt like robot tits.

First adventure "game" I wasted time with in more than 15 years...
I only played it cause of the art.

It's ok.

What's Vic's next project?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sorry you didn't like it more! Vic and I are working on a space opera RPG game that combines elements of Weird Worlds, FTL, and King of Dragon's Pass. The game will be a very nice way to showcase his art.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Disable scraper and infuse crispins memory matrix in his body.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Bah, next thing you'll want to enslave whole nations with necromancy! (In all seriousness, we did plan to have that an option, and to have an option of replacing MM's mainframe with Clarity's head, and to require you to save Clarity by attaching her head to Charity's body, but all of that was left on the cutting room floor.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom