Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD - Part 71: Phex Temple 15 - WTF Ending

If a party member dies, we should:

• Total voters

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 47: TOTN 3 - Lady in Ice

meU1JGu.jpg

Not sure if this is supposed to be obscured by dust or fog.

fEOhVao.jpg

Hey, maybe we can drink this?

JSa5JYK.jpg

Oh look, a fountain called a well! They kinda had it backwards, didn't they?

Fx3yfaO.jpg

Well, another key we need.

ggJ2KaG.jpg

Thankfully, I've raised some obscure spells to positive levels in case they could prove useful. Still no opportunity to use that Speak with Dead spell.

qPYD47I.jpg

2a25nkU.jpg

Yeah, sure, after all, having Praiodan the undead monstrosity that feeds on suffering as our companion might not be the best idea and this is a good opportunity to get rid of him.

BmiETZo.jpg

Oh, I'm pretty sure you'll do fine, spawn of darkness!

A4ZXLVq.jpg

He's gonna suck her soul out or something, right?

KK2kE6L.jpg

Called it! :dance:

TkUgjxl.jpg

I guess she's seen weirder things down here. Everyone also seems to take this revelation rather well.

qCoIpht.jpg

The fountain is still called a well. And for whatever reason, we CAN'T refill our waterskins from it. :decline:

MgtJJ19.jpg

Well, atleast we have the second key.

NQgO4pN.jpg

If you accept, the character you choose instantly gets the Holy Smelting! spell bumped to 15, so that you can get the key even if you didn't put any points into that spell, since as fas as I know this is the only place where you need it.

NEAnJL6.jpg

They sure love their reading, but they should do something about that horrible brown fog.

jS2KjUU.jpg

Yes, we need one key to open the door and one other to open the chest inside.

But I have to question the logic of keys that can't be removed from the lock. How are they ever gonna lock that door again?

RwlAqEY.jpg

:baka:SHAMEFUR DISPRAY, GRIMGRAVY!

9HdXE4u.jpg

Well, since Grimgravy ran away screaming, we have to win this battle without him.

r48hW7o.jpg

After the ghouls are dealt with, the cowardly Grimgravy returns to us once again. He will have to work hard to redeem himself. SHAAAAAME!

96sGKoq.jpg

pdxcgfU.jpg

This spear is pretty sweet, but from my experience, it never really revealed any speacial anti-dragon properties. Maybe it needed to be identified or something...

The only one who could equip it was Morkar, who had skill ranks in spears (unlike Helly, who mastered them) and the one time he managed to hit, it did negligible damage like every other weapon.

29cFiw1.jpg

8KOdEWe.jpg

6aoh2L4.jpg

aZLmYql.jpg

I think we need this statue to open that secret wall that hides the other exit to level 2.

S6qmEBP.jpg

xbK3ZIC.jpg

Level 2!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wait, when was it established that Praiodan was some kind of munster?

Maybe I shouldn't have skipped all the tl;drs :lol:

Eriador

Arbiter
Wait, when was it established that Praiodan was some kind of munster?

Maybe I shouldn't have skipped all the tl;drs :lol:

It's implied by that dialogue that shows up everytime you rest inside Blood Pinnacle with him in the party and also the fact that he doesn't require any food or water. At first, I thought NPC companions just don't require food and water, but it seems only Praiodan doesn't need it for obvious reasons. Our new blonde warrior companion Helen actually does need to eat and drink.

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 48: TOTN 4 - Endless Cultist Waves

6i5Buig.jpg

Level 2!

f0RDe4S.jpg

yCZMpxR.jpg

Oh god, this is where it starts. :negative:

These two druids are actually easily dealt with, but later on, we get to fight whole swarms of these guys. It doesn't help that they love to spam Mad Dance, which incapacitates a character for a few rounds. And if all of your characters are incapacitated, you lose.

B1nEHcM.jpg

Mg1GSOm.jpg

In one of these shelves, there's a hidden key you need to go any further, but you won't find it on your first try unless you are the kind of person who double-checks everything.

R3R2xkB.jpg

This is the alchemy laboratory, but there's nothing interesting here, just some dried whirlweed. Not even a healing potion or something like that.

fNhbdmZ.jpg

As soon as we go through the passage, we trigger another combat. We will get lots of these filler encounter with cultists and evil druids and half the time, the get reinforcements. I'll be showing only some of them.

nHZzsdC.jpg

6OK2N3l.jpg

qm1SjuS.jpg

They are pretty tough and hard to hit for a bunch of spellcasters and we have to gang up on one to get him down. But mostly, we spam Chain and Manacle with Azira and Grimgravy. Later on, we face whole swarms of them, so eventually, in 50% of the battles I spam Chain and Manacle while everyone else just stands around passively "tanking" or I just flee from the other half of the fights, if they get ridiculous reinforcements. They don't drop anything worthwhile anyway and if the encounter isn't triggered again after you enter the spot once more, you didn't miss anything important. But sometimes, you get a really terrible battle arena, where retreat is not an option. Also, sometimes the actual battlefield is really tiny and I have to restart, since I can't get to the remaining enemies, because the "bound" enemies block them.

As you can probably guess, it's not very fun. Also, they are spellcasters, so they cast things like Lightning, Mad Dance, Ignifaxius and Horriphobus...

dsLEHvd.jpg

urO6Kxs.jpg

Past the door, we get another encounter when walking to the area on our left.

6KP8XjL.jpg

BhgJTF5.jpg

The Dormitories! There's three rooms here and two of them contain ridiculous, but totally pointless fights.

h97WiFf.jpg

Like this one. The druids spam Mad Dance.

IHX9yc6.jpg

They also get reinforcements. I win via Chain and Manacle spam, AKA "Straps and shackles surround you and force you into my ban!"

liyMz7l.jpg

KUoaqCo.jpg

Nothing interesting here, one of the beds has a normal fishing hook under the pillow which you can take, but it's pretty much pointless.

gHzrDQI.jpg

aUl66DL.jpg

Disarming these traps tests Dexterity.

GZOb5w0.jpg

zYm2zWv.jpg

This is the largest room in the dungeon and it contains several fights with tigers and cultists and 4 chests containing 100 ducats each. But you can pretty much ignore everything here and just go to that secret door on the other side.

ZvmjSsR.jpg

cMuSs5A.jpg

There's like 3 tigers inside that one tile. Strange, this never happened before or after. Also, I had to restart this fight several times, since these kitties take up so much space and I couldn't reach the other tigers that came with the reinforcements, since the wall of "banned tigers" wouldn't let me go past and killing them would take forever.

5hQS882.jpg

Yay! We are rich! We loot the other 3 chests, so we now have over 400 Ducats, but it's not like that matters much now.

pboJdU8.jpg

81vcLkp.jpg

This is where all those tigers sleep, I guess. Ingramosch has some really weird stuff in his cellar.

UXBiMmV.jpg

Well, we have to return for that bronze key...

CguJH4f.jpg

4cDVHKP.jpg

But first, we have to win another ridiculous cultist encounter via Chain and Manacle spam, I've pretty much skipped turn with everyone but Azira and Grimgravy. Escape is impossible, since the whole battle arena is walled off.

Oh, and they did get reinforcements.

uO79OSQ.jpg

As you can see, the loot pretty much sucks.

bC0fGX9.jpg

If you're wondering why the table is so large, it's because the game adjusts the view depending on the height of the party leader and since Rainhardt is a dwarf with the lowest possible height, we get her view of the human world.

zWLjg37.jpg

More tigers to ban.

R4RcHDo.jpg

rAmq1Sc.jpg

And cultists in the other dormitory.

S3haJQy.jpg

Here's that pointless fishing hook.

Y3b452T.jpg

u4AbjoW.jpg

These keys are in the most random of places.

CLkPbGf.jpg

Well, now we can continue onward to the next exciting section! :negative:

dYH3cHm.jpg

Seriously, they should tone down the number of fights in this dungeon. It was okay in the first level and the other dungeons, but here, I guess they went overboard while trying to be "epic".

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 49: TOTN 5 - Timed Amulet Collecting ADVENTURE!

83aZZaT.jpg

Here, we have to wander around, until we trigger fights with skeletons. There are 4 groups of them we have to defat for their amulet pieces and we have to do it in rapid succession, because if we take too long, we have to do it all over again.

AL6im9Z.jpg

This fight is ridiculous. The Skeletons are heavily resistant to thrust, piercing and slashing damage, so our axes, swords, arrows and spears do minimal damage to them. We mostly have to rely on Chain and Manacle, which works on undead by the way.

5cm8CuA.jpg

But the most annoying thing is that the game starts us out in this tiny 3-spaces wide corridor, while they spawn in that spacious room. And since they have ridiculous initiative (14 before rolls, while we have 5 or 7), they always go first and block the tunnel.

tz5lqdd.jpg

jbv7lAv.jpg

It takes several restarts and some clever positioning/escaping with superfluous party members to get through this. Also, I ban Helena with Chain and Manacle to keep her from rushing to the skeletons and blocking them. I wish they made NPC companions controlable, so I wouldn't have to resort to this.

mjMSGcy.jpg

Kzp5SoS.jpg

V7x2pUh.jpg

Anyway, we win the first fight.

8a5tbJY.jpg

PJB4E2p.jpg

Need 3 more. We can't really rest or meditate for very long, else this happens:

:obviously: "Wait!" Boreale exclaims, "didn't we find part of an amulett before? Where did it go?" No one can find it in the bags any more! Far off you hear the horrible clatter of bones again...

So I pretty much save after every fight, recharge some AE and then rush to the next fight as soon as possible.

oqsSZaa.jpg

5oqQcmM.jpg

The next one is a lot better, since we actually have some space to move around this time.

YWFrbAB.jpg

tq6JgcK.jpg

After we get 2 amulet pieces, this wall opens up, giving us access to the other 2 battles.

kzuSrO2.jpg

9AtRlGK.jpg

JS4IKdu.jpg

Both Grimgravy and Azira have mediocre Necrophobia, so they keep freezing in fear :negative:.

Ht5UvOc.jpg

wCpHrNt.jpg

KkWmUwM.jpg

zQyCgyi.jpg

Finally, we have them all!

1pSrMzF.jpg

We manage to find the door in time.

MLeOXGh.jpg

KhARr0a.jpg

Now that we are no longer under that time limit, we can make sure we don't lose Morkar. Yay, another "exciting" section awaits. This was probably the most annoying part in the whole dungeon :negative:.

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 50 - TOTN 6 - Prem Flounder Faces

rMtjgEZ.jpg

Before we get to the next level, we have to fight some cultists and their dogs, we can't escape from this fight because of these walls around the battlefield.

MVZPnjX.jpg

This is actually entrance to level 3, so the game is lying to us.

X7HpxJh.jpg

...you know what, I don't blame her. And it will probably be easier without her, since all she ever did was get in the way, forcing me to spend precious AE to ban her.

Q0CklJ6.jpg

SO WE LOSE THE SALAMANDER STONE FOR THE 3RD TIME????

:mob:

Seriously, at this point, is there any other reason for this then to annoy you?

EjrhEpD.jpg

We did bring it to Lowangen, but your minions stole it from us as soon as we've arrived. There was never an option to bring it to you, sir.

TrJyCnt.jpg

Anyway, there's this lock for which we need a combination.

jZvvTIo.jpg

As soon as we get to that altar, we are attacked...

SjHwYWl.jpg

...by a lone knight.

J3oJsMS.jpg

Ban for the win!

8OjtVzS.jpg

U3FgsXJ.jpg

This is one thing we need to get that code.

Also, Boreale can read now that I've improved that skill.

rw4LPCj.jpg

lMCIZ68.jpg

Nothing really interesting here, just average cult stuff.

gADFZuQ.jpg

Yeah, this is the second thing we need for that code.

It took me lots of tries, but eventually, I've solved it. The word CULT determines which letters we need and their order in the code. We are looking for the first appearance of each letter in this text and need to count their position from the start of the line. Therefore, C is 1, U is 3 (from your, 3rd place in the second line), L is 6 and T is 8.

qWUA0hL.jpg

If you get it wrong a couple times, the EHVUL guy himself will start offering you tips. Awfully nice of him! I know that he is supposed to be leading you into a trap, but leaving us locked out of the final level would be way easier.

And really, Prem flounder faces? What kind of an insult is that?

zT3ML1f.jpg

Anyway, this is the code.

CNoQkwN.jpg

PZbzFE6.jpg

Now we can go forward!

3qpDHVr.jpg

But first, we get attacked by skeletons.

cvmHxqt.jpg

And after we discover the fake wall we can finally go forward!

avBCRN7.jpg

Yes, here.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Although this is a dwarven city, the furniture is human sized and you can barely see the innkeeper behind the bar.

If you're wondering why the table is so large, it's because the game adjusts the view depending on the height of the party leader and since Rainhardt is a dwarf with the lowest possible height, we get her view of the human world.
IKIFEEL.jpg

Eriador

Arbiter
They actually fixed those Finsterkoppen bars and made dwarven versions of the taverns.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 51: TOTN 7 - Almost There!

1Ul3LM1.jpg

This thing is a teleporter. There's like 3 of them around here and they transport us between rooms on this floor. Not that they are actually neccessary, since you can get around just fine without them, it's just that a lot of passages here are hidden by illusory and sliding walls.

UxyiDTQ.jpg

m4b9k3n.jpg

There's lot's of random encounters on this floor, but none of them are mandatory to win, so we can just flee if needed.

If we did flee from a fight we needed to win, all we would have to do is return to that place which triggers it and we can try again. Thankfully, the filler fights won't trigger again if you manage to flee.

HUjrkGo.jpg

yTblTQd.jpg

This is the only important room in this area. It features a couple of unimportant cultist fights and a riddle we need to solve.

RZJOcDF.jpg

nFbJnsk.jpg

2swDRoL.jpg

Hy82Tpt.jpg

f1yahCV.jpg

eL3uDXO.jpg

All of these screenshots are from the same battle. :negative:

GB1OKqM.jpg

Well, I didn't find that riddle at first, so I've decided to explore further.

oe4KuLP.jpg

Behind this door, we got ambushed by skeletons.

VXh68mm.jpg

GGgbwdQ.jpg

And they got reinforcements...

XZFDh15.jpg

I've retried this battle a couple times, but in the end, I've decided to just flee. We did that a lot from this point on.

tjca9g9.jpg

Z0DIH5r.jpg

I've turned animation speed to 4x (the highest) at this point, since those zombies were painfully slow. It doesn't help that I had to remember which enemies were banned and which weren't, since there's no status indicator or even an enduring "web" effect.

8j6gYmh.jpg

bzdTBRX.jpg

This is some kind of library area. There's nothing here, except some optional cultist fights and some fluff text.

402zXd1.jpg

At first I thought we've triggered a battle with no enemies.

Z2FGFFv.jpg

But turns out, it was just a mage under an invisibility spell. There was ever only 1 of him, so we didn't have to use Exposami.

gq2ZYQg.jpg

This is about the only "interesting" thing here.

9Tqq2qe.jpg

Unless you really love undead and cultists.

4Tq3YjK.jpg

Or evil druids that cast Mad Dance. Everyone with the skull icon is affected by Mad Dance and thus incapacitated.

yvY3Oz1.jpg

HekIdUa.jpg

There's multiple of these pillars in this room and you have to read every one of them, otherwise the correct answer doesn't even show up.

UMhenYb.jpg

The last answer is the correct one, if you didn't read all the text from those pillars, only the first 4 show up and they are incorrect.

WtCreA5.jpg

x4UE6bI.jpg

This opens a hidden area to the north.

KOJoks3.jpg

Yay, dragon! This is gonna be fun. :negative:

mp3i1cY.jpg

How the hell does he know that. Is this common knowledge for Hunters in Aventuria? Or is it because he read the boss tactics on Wowpedia? No PHAT LEWT for you here, I'm afraid.

5bYJlNK.jpg

We need this to open a door out of this area. We give that helmet to Boreale.

ocVaXYI.jpg

Dammit Azira, don't be such a pussy! :argh: The first option sucks, since we want to conserve Life Energy, we don't have a meekness spell and we need Azira to ban people, so leaving her behind is not an option.

hsLj2j2.jpg

Maybe Grimgravy can convince her, after all, he too knows a thing or two about fear, because of his serious Claustrophobia and Ghoul phobia.

8aRsFWN.jpg

Or not.

zxZLQ0T.jpg

Well, it seems like we can just try again right away, so it doesn't matter that much.

YyzlcPC.jpg

Now that we have the dragon claw, these sliding doors open.

7B6Zpln.jpg

Strangely appropriate...

6qv0oTo.jpg

First, we have to get through some more cultists with reinforcements.

Cq0Z4CB.jpg

Now, this door leads to the final boss! Let's enter-

4Sb6kO1.jpg

Know what...

xAgU4xO.jpg

Let's just flee...

A6NJuA8.jpg

Now that we've fled from those cultists guarding the door, we can finally enter the door and face the final boss!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Riddle text box popping from the statue's crotch.

img]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's lot's of random encounters on this floor, but none of them are mandatory to win, so we can just flee if needed.

I've retried this battle a couple times, but in the end, I've decided to just flee.

Let's just flee...

The classic endgame dungeon marathon :russiastronk:

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 52: TOTN 8 - FULMINICTUS THE DRAGON!

BFl2GBI.jpg

Fine then, time to face him!

...we are most likely gonna die in this state.
BV2Y4CP.jpg

92TGwpI.jpg

i50drFW.jpg

Jdc3SNz.jpg

35Mzqix.jpg

kYwCQIv.jpg

SREopGr.jpg

You know, maybe they could give some kind of indication as to which line is spoken by the EHVUL guy and which one by the dragon, like in that wizard tower.

LSdlayh.jpg

This is Arkandor, the final boss. I've looked at the last battle in the original Star Trail and I think he actually looked better there.

TrZLj8l.jpg

He can attack in melee with his claws, but he mostly just spams Ignifaxius, which I guess symbolizes his dragon breath.

RCW9p6a.jpg

The Ignifaxius is random as always. Sometimes, it barely does any damage, other times it does a ton.

BlsYJWO.jpg

He is also immune to Chain and Manacle and other spells like that, which is a good thing I guess...

He is also immune to fire.

ZQzSRNR.jpg

Only Morkar could equip this thing and he sucks with spears.

5xFtP26.jpg

SZ8TPSc.jpg

I don't know how much AE he actually has, but it's enough to spam this. We also have trouble hitting him and if we actually hit him, he has 8 damage reduction, so often we do barely any damage.

SNKFZOx.jpg

After multiple tries, I've tried to reacharge Azira's and Grimgravy's Astral energy to full, so they could spam Fulminictus, but in the meantime Reinhardt and Helly starved to death, because Morkar got some crappy rolls on Treat Wounds :negative:. And it turns out that my memory was faulty, Grimgravy actually survived in spite of the Traumatic Fever.

xhLSi4d.jpg

Well, let's try it like this. I gave Boreale Reinhardt's axe, so he doesn't have to fight barehanded.

EUtxY9U.jpg

Fulminictus does work much better then melee attacks.

ZAdItMb.jpg

rhcSFSn.jpg

Boreale has high resistance to magic, but even that doesn't matter much if he rolls high enough to get 40 damage Ignifaxius.

GYAteI5.jpg

And Arkandor himself has high damage resistance. He also counts as a demon, so everyone has to pass a Courage check each round to act.

jktPIIs.jpg

vATqIjp.jpg

The battle goes on and on and on.

qczvQgx.jpg

Finally, Morkar manages to hit the dragon with the dragon slaying spear.

gmGJFNz.jpg

YMbZl0V.jpg

Some "power".

LTVV3U7.jpg

Fulminictus is actually way better dragonslaying method then that Dragon Slayer spear, but Grimgravy and Azira lack the combined AE pool to kill him.

tXumMn5.jpg

rn8QlVa.jpg

I guess it could've been because of our poor condition after these endless cultist waves, but they are precisely the reason why I no longer have patience for this.

EIeZKY2.jpg

We will use our newly aquired wealth to send everyone but Boreale to the nearest magical academy to master the secrets of Fulminictus.

JQEGdMQ.jpg

After years spent mastering the arcane and Fulminictus in particular, everyone rejoins Boreale and prepares to face the dragon.

KrtR7r5.jpg

Sadly, we can't just Fulminictus the EHVUL guy right now. :decline:

S8RFeGF.jpg

afJGKMG.jpg

First, I try this spell to make Boreale tank the dragon.

kW5b050.jpg

Sadly, it seems that the dragon's Ignifaxius doesn't actually count as a spell. That fire resistance spell might have worked better, but screw this.

1Oo0CfV.jpg

Let's just restart and spam Fulminictus!

rDA0lg0.jpg

FULMINICTUS THUNDER WEDGE! HIT AND KILL LIKE AN ARROW!

Qb93zqT.jpg

FULMINICTUS!

MFqvqD8.jpg

Boreale will tank, while everyone else provides Mage DPS.

Upt5p4p.jpg

rlOimsr.jpg

Yeah, let's FULMINICTUS this dragon to oblivion!

fcWDd47.jpg

Ok, it seems that Boreale doesn't make for a very good tank. Skeletons are far superior.

NIJrGj5.jpg

dDcYzLp.jpg

wT7iP9Q.jpg

a1ErzvQ.jpg

mktr4ha.jpg

yUEpx1A.jpg

And Helly takes the final Fulminictus!

Jesus, it took almost all of our AE to kill this dragon.

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 53: THE END!

JrpVnJl.jpg

ejfz0bd.jpg

Fq7S4wS.jpg

Bullshit, the dragon is dead, he even had his own dying animation and everything, even though it's hard to see it, since that victory screen blocks it.

So no, he is totally dead!

vmiC28x.jpg

qkpZwaI.jpg

Yay, we have the magical D20 back! Now, will some GMPC show up and steal it from us YET AGAIN?

eGsO7Gr.jpg

This door you can see leads back to the surface. It opened once we've defeated that dragon.

AkeYk9h.jpg

But first, we have to make sure Boreale and Reinhardt survive.

HF5JJVV.jpg

This is the map of the whole dungeon, map zoomed all the way out. It's a pretty big place. I didn't explore everywhere, but it should be the majority.

bvKULSb.jpg

As soon as we step outside, Elsurion Starlight from the very beginning suddenly shows up to rescue us! Yay?

ycQVS5V.jpg

8Misi60.jpg

gEG54JM.jpg

xR3z8fd.jpg

eFtdG4j.jpg

Vcdz7lh.jpg

EBNaa82.jpg

su4W9y0.jpg

yil06BV.jpg

What, no cutscene or anything? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME! :decline:

XinLeUq.jpg

After I click next, we get teleported to Kvirasim.

Hbb2I5N.jpg

Well, this is the end, I guess.

If I finish this I want a damn medal...

So, where's my damn medal? :rpgcodex:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
With all the "in the following days" in the outro, I totally expected it to end with "[ALL_NAMES] IS PARCHED! DO SOMETHING!"

:salute: for great perseverance

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wow...that's such a shit reward for doin all that.
Pop ups
Pop ups
More pop ups.
:lol:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Only four reinhardts died. Incline, i guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom