Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Resident Evil 4: No Mutants Allowed

dextermorgan

Arcane
Part 2: The Tolling of Some Great Bell

The path is now open, and with the truck out of the way we see a shack to our right.
6Tjz2.png

Inside we find a typewriter, which is our save point. Fortunately, not only are these fairly common, the game also saves "states" at certain unmarked points. This makes some areas of the game far less of a headache to beat, rather than if we had to rely on fixed saves.
ZY6Ok.png

In the shack we also find some ammo lying on the table, and some loot hidden in boxes. One of them contains a Green Herb. These items are vital to our progress - not only does the herb heal on its own, it can also be mixed with other herbs to improve its effectiveness.
O7REW.png

More crows are spotted further down the road. We show no mercy. Actually, I rather like crows due to their high intelligence.
JLrLL.png

One of them is carrying this. :retarded: Grenades in this game are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I tend to hoard them but use them only rarely because of how tricky it is to throw them. There is one exception but we'll discuss that later.
DYFb0.png

One of the crows was perching on what looks like a sign.
mLvFd.png

And indeed it is, as we'll soon to find out. A low whine can be heard.
reYxl.png

Naturally, we help the poor animal. Don't ask me if can kill it, I don't know and don't care to find out. There will be no killing of dogs in this LP! That's a total lie.
QD4fO.png

Liberated from the steel jaws that held it in place, the animal runs away with all the grace of an ME3 character. Meaning it looks as though it just shat its pants. The consequences of this choice will be seen later.
ViwHT.png

This must be what that sign was all about. The area is littered with these, cunningly hidden in grass.
POC2j.png

We could cause it to snap with a single bullet or a swing of our blade but instead we choose to step in one. Not only does it hurt, but it also roots us in place for a short while, which can be disastrous should an enemy appear nearby.
r4OtO.png

Close to where we freed the doggie we find a Red Herb. Red Herbs can't be used on their own, but combined with a green they produce a mixture that restores all health. Very useful.
6YIUE.png

Continuing our stroll through the lovely Spanish countryside, we spot some clotheslines strung between trees. Curious about the lack of drying clothes on said lines and some strange blinking lights at their ends, we call a local over to inquire further.
eoF0N.png

As he approaches we shift position so that he has to walk between trees to get to us.
tVPjk.png

Oops. I don't think those were clotheslines after all.
bz8I6.png

Another shack with some loot, nothing interesting here.
LH3zC.png

Or is there?
M7r3Y.png

KLsKv.png
Better find her fast!

Yes, we don't want Ashley adopting any feminazi ideas.

A couple of villagers try to prevent us from reaching the bridge and get kicked in the kidneys for their troubles.
jXuS0.png

Funnily enough, on your fist run you can see three villagers on the ledge above the path on the other side. When they see you they run off but nothing seems to come of it. I wonder why they're missing now?
XnDxk.png

One more shack before we enter village proper.
6YbCc.png

A villager was cleverly hiding just inside the doorway, no doubt waiting to give us a friendly hug us as we entered. Not clever enough :metaknowledgekick:
D1tWU.png

Hm, what a strange symbol... Better go in.
yZUQO.png

*buzz*

Oh hey, it's Hunnigan again. Perhaps she has some useful intel for us, or even news of backup?
MnCLy.png

KLsKv.png
Bad question, Hunningan.
EgqUr.png
Sorry to hear that...I'm sending you a Playing Manual. Hope you find it useful.
KLsKv.png
I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

Useful intel eh? Not only is it not useful, it's insultingly bad. This is a PC port we're playing and in the unmodded version they didn't even show you corresponding keyboard buttons. All you got was key 1,2,3 etc making QTE's nigh-impossible. Master race is not pleased.
DUsPT.png

Moving towards the village we're prompted to "look".
0Zxxl.png

A cut-scene plays with Leon ducking behind a tree...
UNOOD.png

... and whipping out some binoculars. This is the first and only time in the game you get to use those. Then again, an event will take place later on that sort of explains this.
Dmc0W.png

At first we see villagers milling around, doing their daily chores while a bonfire burns in the square. Then we zoom in.
aGsgr.png

Oh boy. I hated that guy's guts but this is a bit much. Where's our goddamn backup Hunnigan?
WTiFK.png

Judging direct route to be a tad risky, we head down a side path leading northeast (we were facing directly east).
srBTj.png

We come upon a lady moving some hay. We briefly consider surprise buttsecks but decide against it as there are way too many people within earshot.
AeN1a.png

Instead, we dive through a window directly behind her. Turns out the poor thing must be completely deaf, as she never reacts to the sound of shattering glass. It would be unethical to take advantage of a person with such severe disability.
g5nuE.png

We loot the place to find some ammo, money and this. It's an incendiary grenade, the most useless of the lot for me. It does some blast damage, it burns in place for a while setting whatever passes through it on fire. It sounds good on paper but in practice I hate it - blast radius is small and it burns for a short time only.
KZm64.png

Let's check the place out.
z0gB1.png

KLsKv.png
But no one has bothered to throw it away.

WpfOb.png

KLsKv.png
It sure doesn't smell like a refreshing drink to me.

Being a typical Kwan abroad, Leon not only doesn't appreciate Spanish hospitality, he also complains incessantly. And you people wonder why everyone hates you.

Qdh7L.png

Probably the head of the household you just burgled.

3rzGD.png

KLsKv.png
Nothing out of the ordinary here.

This house may seem like a good defensive position but it really isn't. You can't use the shelf to block the window and there's an unblockable door there as well. We don't want to get caught holed up in here. Instead, we head out to find a mini-secret at the end of the eastern passage.

And here it is. This nice fellow with a potato sack on his head and a chainsaw in his hands is a sort of a mini-boss. It takes a lot more shots to put him down, he doesn't stagger from a single shot to the head, and if he closes the distance...
TAVlC.png

... things turn ugly for Leon.
JQ1yG.png

I tried to capture Leon's head rolling off his shoulders but this was the best I could manage.
8OluC.png

After a reload, we come back and shoot his kneecaps out. This causes him to stumble and after some knifing and a few more shots...
Hb42P.png

... we get our reward. This gem is worth a whopping 10,000 pesetas. Well worth the risk. That is, if we weren't filthy rich already. This is a mini-secret because if you trigger the following event before you whack the potatoman he exits the area and you're left 10k short.
O1a6m.png

Deaf lady saw me passing and raised the alarm. We run past the advancing villagers and into the village square.
gMuHc.png

This is the house we're supposed to hope up in. But before we do...
qODVk.png

... we decide to check out the tower nearby.
bGRFx.png

Pretty tall. Leon seems to be gifted with adamantium bones because he forsakes the ladder on his way down. Anyway, seems like a good place to defend from, no?
Y06oj.png

No. Villagers will soon start lobbing Molotov's at you and it's impossible to draw a bead at them from here.
gXA5T.png

With the tower on fire, we jump down and duck in the doorway of the house previously shown.
DsSuZ.png

Another cut-scene plays. Villagers are gathering around the house.
DgqtL.png

KLsKv.png
Damn it!
KLsKv.png
Who are these people?
KLsKv.png
What are they planning?

I think that guy burning at the stake outside makes for a pretty good clue on that one Leon.
A chainsaw can be heard outside.

KLsKv.png
Great. A chainsaw.

That's what I just said.

Leon pushes a commode to block the doorway.
48aVJ.png

Back in control, we push a cupboard in front of the window, buying us time to loot downstairs.
amu7P.png

We head up the stairs...
d0GGN.png

Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about! We grab the gun...
pnUp1.png

...cross the room in order to knock down a ladder the villagers were using to climb up ...
8NSAd.png

...and clip through some invading villagers to find ourselves on the first storey roof.
5cCKz.png

Around the corner is the perfect defensive position. They can come at you from one side only, too close to fling their weapons at you (yes, they do that), and if we get in over our heads we can always hop down from the roof.
pxI3h.png

INCOMING!
pya1S.png

FUCK YEAH!
rqShD.png

Gotta love them shotguns. They knock those near on their asses and do nice damage to boot.
mtgyS.png

We whacked enough villagers for the second round to trigger.
dIDKP.png

Here comes Mr Potatohead. Actually, he's called Dr. Salvador, or Doctor Savior. If there's a joke there I don't get it.
pjLxg.png

He soon goes down dropping 10,000 Pesetas in cash. We proceed with our mop-up operation.
GI0zR.png

EXPLODING HEAD KICK
R4UX3.png

An MIB moment there. Heh heh heh.
G5a00.png

Suddenly, the tolling of some great bell is heard!
WIiu4.png

Heads turn.
uNbRD.png

UDEN7.png

The villagers are looking towards a church on a nearby hill. One murmurs "Lord Saddler".
AZA3U.png

They all pile into one of the buildings facing the square.
PHn3z.png

KLsKv.png
Where's everyone going? Bingo?

Killing machine that he is, Leon has no problem cracking jokes after killing twenty or so villagers.

He decides to call his LI.
sNlFt.png

KLsKv.png
Something's happened to the people here.
EgqUr.png
Leon, you need to get out of there. Look for a tower. Follow the trail neat it.
KLsKv.png
Got it.

And to wrap things up, we take a closer look at our friendly policeman.
nq69M.png

KLsKv.png
If only he'd come with me...

Yeah, no.

Next up: Life on the farm

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Is it totally impossible to avoid combat on that part? I remember playing the game and, much to my frustration, being unable to find a way through the lady and her deafness and the plaza without raising the alert. Since enemies respawn this just seemed to me like a fuckup on my part

lightbane

Arcane
Didn't you know? In bizarro-Spain, all Spaniards have a built-in radar that automatically detects anyone attempting to sneak. Or at least that's what Capcom thinks.

dextermorgan

Arcane
This game sure is brown.
Yeah, there's not much variety. I thought GC version was better in that respect but after watching jewtube videos it really isn't. The only thing that's different now is that lightening effects are a little better.

Speaking of which, did you know that PC port is a port of a port? And not just any port of a port, it's a port of the PS2 version, the absolute shittiest of the lot! In vanilla the textures are all low res, ditto for cut-scenes. Official patch added some lightening effects but the rest had to be solved by modders who extracted texture files from the original and ported them into PC version.

Vanilla is truly butt-ugly.
Is it totally impossible to avoid combat on that part? I remember playing the game and, much to my frustration, being unable to find a way through the lady and her deafness and the plaza without raising the alert. Since enemies respawn this just seemed to me like a fuckup on my part
As far as I know, triggering the zerg rush is necessary to advance the story. I think that all doors leading out of the village remain locked until you've had your share of genocide. It is kinda sorta possible to sneak around a bit more to loot items in peace (down the south side) but that's about it.
Didn't you know? In bizarro-Spain, all Spaniards have a built-in radar that automatically detects anyone attempting to sneak. Or at least that's what Capcom thinks.
Well, to be fair to developers, the village is awful small and there are people everywhere so sneaking isn't really a realistic option...

Erebus

Arcane
Bumping for more brown, exploding people and roundhouse kicks to the kidneys.

Keep the good fight against those nasty spamexicans! Andale pendejo Ole!

(When I played the game I was dissapointed by the lack of bullfighter-mariachi hibrids...)

dextermorgan

Arcane
Part 3: Life on the farm

With our task of ethnically cleansing the Pueblo completed (save for that one house we can't get in or set on fire yet), we can finish looting the place in peace before heading over to the farm.

Let's take a look at our map.
Byp8Z.png

The farm is located to the northeast. We'll head out to the house on the bottom right.

This was another good place to make a stand from. There is a commode there that you can push to block the outer door and halt villager advance for a while, as well as a second doorway where you can retreat in case of emergency. The problem is, there's no back door, and Mr Potatoehead and his 10,000 pesetas only spawns if you enter the house across the road.
rCp9V.png

KLsKv.png
An unplesant smell is emanating from it.

We find our first locked door. These are not terribly common in game, and fortunately there's no mini-game. We just whip out knife out...
bfLEf.png

...and slash it into oblivion. Bullets and explosives also work, as does kicking the door about half a dozen times or so.
Ms8I0.png

The bedroom has some additional loot and a grimy bed.
PWVWn.png

KLsKv.png
It appears that the stains are a person's blood.

Apparently one of the villagers you whacked was a newlywed who lost her virginity last night. How does it feel to murder a honeymooner Леон?

On our way out we find this hanging on a wall of a shack:
jPhJW.png

EScO1.png
Recently there has been information that a United States government agent is here investigating the village.
EScO1.png
Do not let this American agent get in contact with the prisoner.
EScO1.png
For those of you not yet informed, the prisoner is being held in an old house beyond the farm. We will transfer the prisoner to a more secure location in the valley when we are ready. The prisoner is to stay there until further notice. Meanwhile, do not let the American agent near the prisoner.
EScO1.png
We do not know how the American government found out about our village. But we are investigating.
EScO1.png
However, I feel that this intrusion at this particular time is not just a coincidence.
EScO1.png
I sense a third party other than the United States government involved here.
EScO1.png
My fellow men, stay alert!
EScO1.png
- Chief, Bitores Mendez

Fortunately for them, Leon doesn't speak a word of Spanish and all this useful information that flies right over his head. I wonder who this third party is...

Right, time to move on.
oujT8.png

Ah yes, life on the farm. It must be quite relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Raccoon City, eh?
WclAp.png

A villager is tending to cattle while another pitchforks hay. Idyllic. Leon almost feel sorry for what he's about to do. Almost.
DPukX.png

But first, let's hop over the fence and take a look at that blue sign there.
RrfOH.png

6tLpU.png

0EVTX.png
15 blue medallions...
0EVTX.png
7 in the farm... 8 in the cemetery...
0EVTX.png
For those of you who destroy 10 or more will be awarded...
0EVTX.png
(The rest is illegible.)

Spoiler: It's a gun. Not a great gun either.

Looking at our map, we can see that it's been updated with location of blue medallions. The counter at the bottom tells us how many we got so far.
4JSAU.png

We shoot a chicken for shits and giggles. Chickens you kill don't drop anything. Alive ones, on the other hand...
PJ7iG.png

...drop these!
cPbtt.png

It's a yummy egg! Unfortunately, it's only a white egg that heals very little health. Brown eggs heal a bit more, golden eggs heal you fully but are also very, very rare. I've only just discovered that I can also equip eggs and throw them at people. It's kinda funny, but useless.
8i9Pc.png

Disappointed at only getting a shitty white egg, Leon has to take it out on somebody...
PmB1i.png

Wetwork.
6IrYh.png

Crying won't help you now.
JAIQd.png

This cow was up next but our blood-frenzy ends just in time. Which is good as cows can take quite a few shots and don't drop anything.
ZUoyj.png

We find another dog, and a rather unfriendly one at that. If you approach it just yelps and runs away. Must have been abused by these disgusting subhumans. Don't worry doggie, Leon will KILL THEM ALL. We tried to kill him but he soaked up an amazing amount of bullets so we gave up.
g2oC8.png

We pling a medallion, the counter shows up on-screen.
Fxugw.png

Take a look in a shack at the animal pen.
qQYS8.png

City folk...

We find a pendant hanging above a vat of something...
WeIXi.png

We could shoot the pendant and let it drop in the muck, but that makes it "dirty" and halves its selling price. Instead, we shoot the stick that's propping the lid up first.
LBoPr.png

And get our reward. Good thing it's bullet-proof, or the price would have really bombed.
eCZ5N.png

Time to perp some home invasion. Silly peasant hippies should really learn to lock their shit up.
4CKck.png

We sneak up to the homeowner and murder him.
gtc2a.png

His brother hears the shot and comes running, allowing us to use one of our favorite tricks - perching on top of a ladder and knifing anything coming up across the face.
odmeZ.png

Don't you wish you were in a Bethpizda game, peasant?
Fo1zW.png

With the entire family dead, we can loot the place in peace. But what is this? A door blocked by a cupboard we can't push out of the way? Must be a secret!
btPse.png

We hop out the upper storey window...
19J4h.png

... and down into a small enclosure.
ZNSP6.png

TREASURE!
lcrXa.png

Oh. It's only a stein. Then, on closer inspection we discover it has slots for additional ornaments! Adding jewels will increase its price significantly.
WZ1FD.png

Back on the roof, we inspect a spinning windmill.
szZKD.png

One-man-holocaust machine complains about hospitality. Sigh.

Finally, we see a cattle pen with a large door leading northeast. It's locked for now. Above it we shot the last medallion in this area.
LVZZt.png

Let's see what we've picked up so far. So messy.
BELGk.png

Ah, now this is much better. Let's take a look at some of the new items.
D2MBO.png

This is an RGB herb mix, placed in a vial from Leon's portable chemistry set. It's the best healing item in the game, as it not only heals you fully but also increases your maximum health. On this run our health is already maxed.
21Pot.png

Red and green provide full heal, but no max health bonus.
Zc6dX.png

We also picked up a flash grenade back in the village. These things are very useful. You don't have to be very precise with them, they blind enemies for a good long while, allowing you to do your kicks and stuff, and on top of that they instagib certain annoying enemies later on.
PjggC.png

Time to move on.
Vn0lx.png

A path leads down a ravine.
78BTq.png

Traps? But we don't see any traps on the ground...
vYgRI.png

We look up to find a hanging bridge with some villagers on it. Shooting at them is a pointless waste of ammo however. Yes, genocidal maniacs can be rational about their resources. They're not all deranged you know. Let's continue.
ti3lG.png

A cutscene shows some villagers pushing a rather large rock. Oh boy.
NHDPi.png

OH SHI-
Wl89R.png

FUUUU-
Y69B6.png

*crunch*
oDFxy.png

I really wish they had more elaborate death scenes.

On our second try we hit the QTE and duck out of the way to see the rock smash against the mouth of a tunnel. We could go back up the path and exact revenge but it's still a pointless waste of ammo.
cHQXz.png

Into the tunnel we go. Those things glittering on the ceiling are gems. Of hatred.
J9YV0.png

So we shoot them, as one does with gems.
5NIYO.png

There's a light at the end of the tunnel. Could this be it? Go into the light Leon...
Jw6U7.png

Oh crap. What you see out there is a trap sign, a technologically advanced peasant who chucks dynamite sticks at you, another hiding in the house, and a dynamite trap blinking in the shack on the left. What you don't see are bear traps scattered all over the right hand side, which means that on your first run you'll probably make a run to the right to avoid the trap in the shack, get stuck in a bear trap and dynamited to a fine red mist as you struggle to free yourself.
Ncg7a.png

Instead we snipe the two villager outside the house (one was behind the shack on the right) and go lootin'. We find a big-ass spider. I don't think I saw another in the game. It does nothing, drops nothing.
AakeR.png

Another villager is waiting inside that broken door in hopes of fucking our shit up.
TmNXs.png

We shoot him until he drops and his own stick of dynamite blows him to smithereens.
wOfb8.png

I guess we better go around then.
dtFID.png

Another peasant techie.
k1rcT.png

He gets shot until he drops a well, blowing up an axeman that tried to blind-side us in the process.
sAGWw.png

We do some more looting. Leon isn't much of a reader apparently.
2njj8.png

No clues are found in a small commode in a ruined shack. Colour me surprised.
FROoo.png

I actually like "inspectables", they add some flavor to exploration. Unfortunately, as the game goes on there's less and less to be found.

Before we proceed into the house, we look up a tree on the right and shoot a birds nest.
sH6K8.png

This is a gem that can be socketed, adding fire damage increasing the value of a certain treasure object.
uViYC.png

Save point.
I4aUa.png

The house is trapped, but seems otherwise deserted.
QQtoa.png

We find some more loot, as well as a bookshelf blocking a doorway. Mysterious thumping noice can be heard.
8RchY.png

Seems to be coming out of that,
dWxag.png

As we approach a cut-scene begins.
jytVJ.png

And out homosexual love interest Luis Serra drops out, all gift-wrapped. Unfortunately, we're playing a straight Shepard so we don't take advantage.
edUCH.png

VcR8Y.png
A little rough, don't you think?

We untie him.
VrNHN.png

VcR8Y.png
You're...not like them?
KLsKv.png
No. You?
VcR8Y.png
Okay. I have only one, very important question. You got a
smoke?

I like this guy.

KLsKv.png
Got gum.

Leon you goddamn KWAAAN!

Some visitors crash our little party...
9Z5ex.png

Followed by this hulk of a man.
yyDma.png

VcR8Y.png
Perfect. The big cheese.
KLsKv.png
What?

Leon charges and plants a beautiful spinning back kick on Chief's chest. Unfortunately, he may as well have kicked a solid brick wall.
6vtZv.png

The chief grabs a hold of Leon's foot and sends him flying...
HGqFQ.png

... right on top of poor Luis. They're both knocked out.
VXH0B.png

And that concludes the first chapter of the game.
Ql3EK.png

Next up: I forgot what comes next It's a mystery!

spekkio

Arcane
You have to be a horse to like this POS of a game...

:roll:

Also: BUMP - I gave up after reaching the castle.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
BUMPing for giving the bad guy a roundhouse to the chest instead of a shotgun spray to the face.

Phelot

Arcane
So are the peasants mind controlled or something or is this just the usual Spaniard reaction? Also, I'm still lovin the genocide :lol:

"Why do these people get so crazy when I sneak into their house and kill their animals?"

lightbane

Arcane
Fun fact: Even though the villagers speak in Mexican Spanish, the important characters can flawlessly talk in English (accent included).

PS: Also, try to purposely fail the action scenes and show Leon's many, many death scenes.

dextermorgan

Arcane
So are the peasants mind controlled or something or is this just the usual Spaniard reaction?
You mean, other than the fact that Leon is a Kwan? Well, there will be some answers incoming in the next cutscene...
Also, try to purposely fail the action scenes and show Leon's many, many death scenes.
Why do you think my death-count stands at 5? Unfortunately, against regular enemies Leon tends to just go ahhh and die, nothing spectacular, although I have some screenies I forgot to post of what happens when they grab hold of him - a kind of a body-slam ensues, but not fatal unless you're very low on health.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, the spider should have been killed with the incendiary grenade. Fuck those things!

God dammit, I loved RE and RE3 back in the day and that's what it came to?
LP is pretty good though M:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jesus, good thing they don't get that big where I live. I'm not arachnophobic but that's some scary shit.

Phelot

Arcane
Your socialist multikult mentality extends to SPIDERS?! Leon is disappoint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom