Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Shadowrun (SNES) - At part 2

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Table of Contents
  1. Introduction / Part 1 - A Shitty Day, or, Must've Had Fun Yesterday
  2. Part 2 - Let the Grindfest Commence

Introduction

Ok. So I decided to start a LP of Shadowrun for SNES, a game I count among my favorites. (I'm a console gamer since the NES days, in addition to loving good RPGs.)

First off, Shadowrun isn't really an RPG. It actually derives a lot of its gameplay from old-school adventure games, in which you collect items and information, which in turn need to be utilized the correct way in order to advance the storyline. It's more open than the traditional adventure game, however, in that you can approach some problems in a number of different ways. There's also some optional things to do in the game. The other RPGish aspect of Shadowrun is the character system, which is a dumbed down version of the Shadowrun PnP one. Combat is realtime, and tactics consist of deciding which target to kill first. Ok, you can also hire runners to order around, and you get a couple of really useful spells, but it's still not much more than "my stats/equipment vs your stats/equipment" and "spam the best spell". Also, expect no C&C.

If you love the Shadowrun PnP RPG, and want this game to be a simulation of that, you will be disappointed. You'd be better off playing the Genesis version. But as a stand-alone adventure/RPG light, it's a gem. What you'll find is a moderately interesting storyline, a sense of exploration, adventure game-like problem solving, strangely addictive leveling, and a superb atmopshere backed by great music. Oh, and it features furries.

With that out of the way, let's fire it up!

ShadowrunUSA_00000.png

Getting excited...

ShadowrunUSA_00001.png

Yeah, yeah, start already.

ShadowrunUSA_00002.png

Ok. Backstory. Short and sweet, like it was back then. Read it and soak it in.

Screen fades to a panning view of a cityscape:

ShadowrunUSA_00003.png

It stops by a building, and starts scrolling down. Faster. Faster. A shadow flashing a few times.

ShadowrunUSA_00007.png

ShadowrunUSA_00009.png

ShadowrunUSA_00008.png

ShadowrunUSA_00010.png

ShadowrunUSA_00012.png

Screen fades to black, and BAM:

ShadowrunUSA_00016.png

Man, I love that logo. So much better than the shitty new one. :)decline:)

Waiting a few moments at the title screen gives us a very short introduction to the actual storyline. A writeup follows the screenshots. (Sorry, forgot to resize those before uploading.)

ShadowrunUSA_00001-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00003-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00005-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00009-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00010-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00012-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00017-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00022-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00025-1.png

ShadowrunUSA_00026-1.png

A gang of thugs approach a lone person. He tries to escape, they open fire. He eats bullets for a few seconds before falling down (tough son o a b). A dog or fox enters and approaches the fallen man. It's apparently a shape shifter, because it turns into a probably hot woman (must be a fox, then). She casts a spell on the man, then leaves. Now some morgue guys enter the scene and we're treated to a black screen. If you couldn't follow, watch it on youtube. It's better with music, anyway.

Ok. Let's start a new game, then.

Part 1 - A Shitty Day, or, Must've Had Fun Yesterday

(This first part is very screenshot dense, in order to explain the mechanics a bit, and perhaps communicate the flow of the game. Any following parts will be more condensed, because it's a pain in the ass to do this, apparently.)

So, we're in a morgue. The morgue guys are chatting over our head.

ShadowrunUSA_00018.png

ShadowrunUSA_00020.png

ShadowrunUSA_00022.png

Uh.. Ok. Anyway, the slab starts to move, slides out, and we fall down on the floor.

ShadowrunUSA_00024.png

ShadowrunUSA_00026.png

Ah. The good old amnesia plot. Ok, let's explore the room. We start with the slab:

ShadowrunUSA_00032.png

So, for each object in the game, you get a menu like that with different options. Examine is almost always available.

ShadowrunUSA_00033.png

So our last name is Armitage. Let's check out that paper.

ShadowrunUSA_00030.png

ShadowrunUSA_00031.png

Interesting... We pick the paper up and take the opportunity to check out our character screen.

ShadowrunUSA_00035.png

HP derives from Body, MP derives from Magic. Strength is a weapon requirement, and high Charisma is good for hiring mercs (known as runners in this game). Simple stuff. So let's check out our items. In addition to the torn piece of paper we just picked up, we've also got a matchbox. Let's examine it:

ShadowrunUSA_00040.png

The plot thickens...

We examine the rest of the room. On the table there's a scalpel, "a very sharp instrument", and in one of the fridges there's a slap patch. I bet that'll come in handy. Let's leave through the only viable exit.

ShadowrunUSA_00046.png

ShadowrunUSA_00047.png

They got scared and hid. Oh, well. The cabinets are both locked, so let's get the hell out of here.

ShadowrunUSA_00052.png

ShadowrunUSA_00053.png

The door across is locked. Heading down the corridor, we reach the exit.

ShadowrunUSA_00055.png

Some dude immediately approaches us. Enter the conversation system of Shadowrun.

ShadowrunUSA_00056.png

It's keyword based. Think Morrowind. Only here it seems to make more sense. The game, the world, is about information. You collect knowledge. And use it to draw more knowledge out of people. The bolded words in conversations are new keywords. So here we learn about the hitmen that tried to kill us. In addition to asking about keywords, you have the option to just "Talk". This gives you a set standard phrase for each character. So there are no real back and forth conversations. So, let's "talk":

ShadowrunUSA_00057.png

Ok, another keyword. We ask him about hitmen, then firearms.

Hitmen -> "They want you DEAD. If I were you, I'd watch myself."

Firearms -> "I ain't got time to talk to a corpse. If those guys find out I was with you, I'll be creamed too!"

Fuck you, too. We say goodbye. The guy runs along down the street. Let's follow him!

ShadowrunUSA_00061.png

ShadowrunUSA_00064.png

ShadowrunUSA_00065.png

Ok. We ended up in some dark alley.

ShadowrunUSA_00066.png

*Gunshots are heard* Oops. Someone got killed. Was it by the "hitmen"? I keep going. Why? Because I'm fucking stupid.

ShadowrunUSA_00067.png

ShadowrunUSA_00068.png

A goddamned orc is firing at us. We seem safe behind the container, though. Oh, look over there. Our friend, dead, and he dropped his weapon. Let's make a run for it:

ShadowrunUSA_00069.png

ShadowrunUSA_00071.png

ShadowrunUSA_00072.png

A beretta. Not bad. I start trading shots with the orc.

ShadowrunUSA_00075.png

ShadowrunUSA_00076.png

I win. I examine his corpse and find a "worn leather jacket". I wear it and feel like Terminator. Let's check out the rest of the alley.

ShadowrunUSA_00081.png

ShadowrunUSA_00083.png

A dog approaches from within the darkness. A talking dog.

ShadowrunUSA_00086.png

ShadowrunUSA_00087.png

A talking dog. Ok, so we have some other crazy dog to seek out and give stuff. Trying to get any other information out of it proves futile. It just answers with "Grr". Let's check out the billboard before leaving the alley.

ShadowrunUSA_00091.png

Ah, I love those little tidbits. Ok, heading back now. Once back on the street, I follow it back to the morgue, then turn right and keep walking until the street turns left again. I find an entrance. Why did I go this way? Because I played the game before and I feel like saving my game, already. One thing at the time, though...

ShadowrunUSA_00109.png

ShadowrunUSA_00110.png

I enter the room on my left, and find a man on the floor. He "seems familiar". Instead of trying to help him, I steal the key he has in his pocket. There's also a memo on the table:

ShadowrunUSA_00117.png

ShadowrunUSA_00114.png

So I'm involved in some sort of run (job) that went wrong? I don't like the sound of this. Time to leave, but first, let's check out the other room.

ShadowrunUSA_00121.png

ShadowrunUSA_00125.png

It turns out to contain a guy in a white suit firing at me. A mage, apparently. This is what makes Shadowrun so great. When you expect a mage to cast a spell on you, instead he pulls a fucking desert eagle and starts unloading. If this is a white mage, I can't wait to see what a black mage looks like. I kill him.

ShadowrunUSA_00127.png

The currency is Nuyen. I grab it and head out. I turn left upon exiting.

ShadowrunUSA_00134.png

Ok. Turning left again. Along a new street.

ShadowrunUSA_00139.png

A hitman is taking shots at me from a window in the building ahead. When will this shit end? A firefight follows. Our battle cries are drowned out by the din of a passing train. Finally he dies. I don't have much HP left. I enter the building to lick my wounds.

ShadowrunUSA_00146.png

I'm in a corridor of doors. Apartment doors. The one on my right is number 8. Now look at this, the key I found on the dead or dying man:

ShadowrunUSA_00144.png

I head to apartment 6, and...

ShadowrunUSA_00150.png

ShadowrunUSA_00151.png

Voila! Yes. It takes a lot of looking and poking around to find this the first time playing. Most likely dying a few times and restarting because you can't save, until...

ShadowrunUSA_00161.png

Now! Let's check this place out. First off, the video phone thing on the wall is beeping. I examine.

ShadowrunUSA_00172.png

ShadowrunUSA_00174.png

So J is for Jake... And someone named Drake is out to kill me. And, wait, this is my apartment? Why did the other guy have my key? Oh, well. I need to sleep on this. But first let's check out the room.

I find three things:
  • A pair of sunglasses on the little table by the bed.
  • A ripped note with a phone number to someone named "Sassie", and
  • a little money in the cabinet.

Putting on the sunglasses:

ShadowrunUSA_00181.png

ShadowrunUSA_00182.png

Looking... good? Let's try to call this Sassie.

ShadowrunUSA_00179.png

Oh. I guess I don't have a CredStick, so I can't call any numbers yet. Maybe it's back at the morgue? First, let's get some sleep and heal up.

ShadowrunUSA_00184.png

ShadowrunUSA_00185.png

So yes, this is where you save the game, and "use karma". When you kill mean people, you gain karma, which is then used to level up your character. What I like about this leveling system is how straight forward it is; upgrading any stat, skill or magic spell all costs karma, and the cost is always equal to the current level of the stat/skill/spell. We don't have any karma yet, but let's check out our options:

ShadowrunUSA_00187.png

ShadowrunUSA_00188.png

ShadowrunUSA_00189.png

Worth mentioning is, new skills can be learned. By asking people about the right things, they can teach you new skills that can then be upgraded in the same fashion. There aren't many of them, but they're all optional, and pretty useful. Pretty cool, in my opinion.

If I can muster to continue this LP (I didn't anticipate the amount of time is takes to put together), the next step will be to kill some bad guys and increase my firearms skill, before I explore the area further and look into how to access the locked cabinets in the morgue. Until then!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I love this one just because of the atmosphere and music even if the game does require stupid grinding and is quite simplistic.

Also,
I hope you are trying to keep your saviour alive to the end - it's the only way to play even if it is devilishly difficult!
Good luck!

nihil

Augur
Part 2 - Let the Grindfest Commence!

:salute:

I'm so flattered I'm doing the second part before I probably give up. Next time I should pick a game I haven't already played to the end at least three times.

So, where were we?

Part 2 - Let the Grindfest Commence!

ShadowrunUSA_00001.png

ShadowrunUSA_00002.png

ShadowrunUSA_00003.png

Right. Our new apartment. Before going back outside, what would be a better time to check in on our neighbours?

ShadowrunUSA_00010.png

Most door are locked, but not apartment 7. Let's enter.

ShadowrunUSA_00011.png

ShadowrunUSA_00014.png

This is odd. The doors for apartment 7 and 8 apparently lead to the same room, which looks more like an office than an apartment. And as if that wasn't enough, another one of those white mages, as well as a "heavy dude" is opening fire as soon as I enter. And I tought yesterday was a bad day. I kill them.

ShadowrunUSA_00018.png

There was actually a third mage hiding outside my view. And killing him gave me my first karma! Killing got fun, all of a sudden. I feel an urge to repeatedly leave and enter this room, each time killing anything that respawns inside it. Let's do it!

10 minutes later...

ShadowrunUSA_00028.png

There. Back in my apartment. I've now upgraded both my firearms skill and body attribute to level 4, which means I'm 10 HP richer, and my accuracy is dramatically better. I also managed to collect over 500 Nuyen from the dead bodies. Good times! Now, back to the streets. I turn right upon exiting, and end up back at the fountain in front of the morgue. Being on a spree, I decide to free the dog trapped by the fountain.

ShadowrunUSA_00029.png

ShadowrunUSA_00035.png

ShadowrunUSA_00038.png

ShadowrunUSA_00040.png

It dropped a dog collar. Could this be one of the items dog likes? Examining it makes a shimmering sound, if a sound can shimmer. Anyway, let's check out the morgue.

ShadowrunUSA_00034.png

Seems the guys aren't scared of me anymore...

ShadowrunUSA_00032.png

Ah, of course. I ask both of them about everything I know, namely firearms, hitmen and dog. I can't get anything useful out of them. Oh well, let's return later. I head down the street, the same way I went when chasing the punk in part 1, and enter the corner building.

ShadowrunUSA_00041.png

ShadowrunUSA_00042.png

Two doors. Let's check them in order.

ShadowrunUSA_00043.png

ShadowrunUSA_00044.png

A meteoric paperweight. Can't hurt to bring. Nothing else of interest. Second door:

ShadowrunUSA_00046.png

An office of some sort. And a secretary. Let's charm her.

ShadowrunUSA_00047.png

Even better... Unfortunately, she seems strangely unattracted by my incoherent mumbling about firearms, hitmen and a dog. I check out the rest of the office.

ShadowrunUSA_00048.png

ShadowrunUSA_00049.png

ShadowrunUSA_00050.png

ShadowrunUSA_00051.png

Now we're talking! A computer, and a brand new cyberdeck right next to it. (A cyberdeck is used to connect your brain with computers.) I grab it and use it on the computer.

ShadowrunUSA_00053.png

A cracking sound is heard, and sparks shoot from the computer. What the hell?

ShadowrunUSA_00054.png

ShadowrunUSA_00055.png

Crap. My hardware is damaged. It seems I'll have to repair my datajack, or find someone else to hack this computer for me. But that's a story for another time!

lightbane

Arcane
Hey, someone is doing a lp of one of my favorite cyberpunk games! :love:

I'm so flattered I'm doing the second part before I probably give up. Next time I should pick a game I haven't already played to the end at least three times.

Bullshit, you're supposed to finish the game 7 times before complaining or you have not played it enough :M .

nihil

Augur
lightbane said:
Bullshit, you're supposed to finish the game 7 times before complaining or you have not played it enough :M .

I'm just saying making a LP of a game I know in and out turned out to be a bit frustrating, because it takes a lot of time to do and I always know what's coming.

But yeah, you're right. :) The total time I've played this game probably amounts to 10 playthroughs, only I haven't always played to the end. (And one time I decided to max out the character, but didn't quite do it before I gave up.)

spekkio

Arcane
OLOLO stupid simplistic console games: big eyes, fluffy bunnies, singing flowers etc.

:decline:

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Being a Mega Driver, It's my duty to point out that the Sega version of Shadowrun is much superior to this one, with better combat and story, improved graphics and something rare for console RPGs: non-linear content. :obviously:

But do proceed, never got too far in the snes Shadowrun.

nihil

Augur
Excidium said:
Being a Mega Driver, It's my duty to point out that the Sega version of Shadowrun is much superior to this one, with better combat and story, improved graphics and something rare for console RPGs: non-linear content. :obviously:

But do proceed, never got too far in the snes Shadowrun.

The Genesis version may be the superior RPG, but the SNES version is the superior game. :obviously:

And better graphics in the Genesis version? I honestly don't think so. At least they convey much less atmosphere, for me. And in any case that should be vastly outweighed by how much better the music is in the SNES game.

But really, they're two very different games, in what they're trying to achieve.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Indeed, both games are good, I just prefer the Mega drive. ;)

Anyway, It's just sad the PC never got a proper Shadowrun game...

They say that the shooter one (for the 360, I think), is actually a fun game, only it got shitastic reviews because fans were very upset about their favorite RPG being turned into a FPS. I have this feeling that I've seen this kind of reaction before, but it's probably just my imagination.

By the way, I stopped playing this one during the thunderdome cage fight against that crime boss. I think the game required you to grind before that part, because it's past a point of no return and there are no random battles nearby.

nihil

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
They say that the shooter one (for the 360, I think), is actually a fun game, only it got shitastic reviews because fans were very upset about their favorite RPG being turned into a FPS. I have this feeling that I've seen this kind of reaction before, but it's probably just my imagination.

I think they also messed up the universe quite a bit, and since it doesn't resemble an RPG either, I don't understand why they even wanted to use the name "Shadowrun". It's not like it draws a lot of people like "Batman" or whatever would. Anyway, I haven't played it, so maybe it is fun.

Clockwork Knight said:
By the way, I stopped playing this one during the thunderdome cage fight against that crime boss. I think the game required you to grind before that part, because it's past a point of no return and there are no random battles nearby.

It does require grinding, but there actually is a room with respawning enemies right there (bottom right of the area). So you should fire it up again and keep playing ASAP. ;)

Jocund

Novice
Clockwork Knight said:

This sounds familiar and I think it's where I got to in the game as well before giving up.

nihil said:
It does require grinding, but there actually is a room with respawning enemies right there (bottom right of the area). So you should fire it up again and keep playing ASAP.

I don't remember this. Updates needed as proof!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great ! I love this game but never actually finished it.

Update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom