Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Cassidy

Arcane
I'll count the results and post the update later:

Option 1: Just crush them enough for them to agree with an Uti possidetis peace treaty. (1 vote)
Option 2: Force Miriam to unconditional surrender so they will embrace the U.N. charter and the Believers will end under control. ( 7 votes )
Option 3: Crush the Believers, their Medieval lunacy and fanatical tyranny, and punish Miriam for her crimes. ( 10 votes )

Cassidy

Arcane
"Enduring peace cannot be bought at the cost of other people's freedom."

--Franklin D. Roosevelt, Datalinks.

First Planet War

Signals I

DvLMqu2.jpg

Population growth, expansion. War. War never changes. It destroyed Earth, it brought mankind to near-extinction, and despite the awareness of what the wars did to their homeworld, now a barren, irradiated wasteland, driven by megalomania and intolerance, new would-be conquerors began new wars, new wars that could escalate into the first equivalent of the World Wars on Planet..

3Lyxnfy.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I find this Ψ operation and its results most disturbing, Secretary. A symbiotic link? UN citizens with innate psychic talents may gain control over mindworms? Let it be very clear: I am authorizing further research, and I hope this will not be a great mistake, but it is strictly, absolutely forbidden to use these worms in any form against human beings. They are biological weapons far more cruel than the worst chemical and biological weapons ever devised by men, and I am only not demanding the immediate termination of such specimens because they may be needed against hostile mindworms.

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Commissioner Lal, with all due respect, I consider such ethical limitations an enormous waste of potential. Ψ has trained and capable operatives, we have full control of the mindworms and we would never overdo their capabilities to a level of unnecessary cruelty.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I will consider your request, but remember the rules of engagement, Secretary Bester: you are only authorized to use mindworms against mindworms.

hoNGEFI.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: The Gaians are broadcasting now a telepathic message to all faction leaders! They must have created a very through, organized psychic organization for that, and maybe found ways to awaken ESP on some of their people who were born without it.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: What does this telepathic message say?

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Nothing really important, but they traced all commlinks through such psychic project and are broadcasting everyone's commlinks to everyone.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: This will mark either the beginning of our best chance for peace, or...

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: the beginning of the first World War outside Earth.

UJNrP3q.jpg

9eFtyws.png
: Now that we are all together, on behalf of the ideals of the Unity, I am sponsoring elections for Planetary Governor. All peoples will have their voices heard, and the most voted shall win.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Lady Deirdre Skye, I suggest that people under Police States and other forms of government that make their ability to freely express their own thoughts impossible are ignored in these "elections", for evidently they will be too afraid to not vote for the leaders of their factions.

XdYYjjs.jpg
: As the second-in-command of the Unity, nobody has a greater right to assume leadership of this colonization than I. Let's cut the pleasantries and the rhetoric: We all have ruled our factions for over one hundred years, that speaks volumes about the commitment of those still pushing themselves to the misguided and faulty ideals of democracy, or would you, Commissioner Lal, resign if for a change, you lost the elections of the "Peacekeepers", the same ones you rig every four years to ensure you'll never lose?

4LL94XQ.jpg
: The people of the United Nations are the most educated, conscious and free people in this Planet. If I won every election since Planetfall, that is because I am doing a so good job I am yet to lose an election in the U.N. I wonder what your people would think about you, if they were free to express it, Chairman Yang.

XdYYjjs.jpg
: They all love me, for I tend to all their needs, and this is not really the time to trade stories about our societies. I am sure there will be a proper time for a deeper conversation among us. I see most abstained on their thoughts about how the Planetary Governor should be chosen, and so shall I. Only the Gaian lunatics and your ivory tower intellectuals care about these elections. How can you consider the winner legit considering such a low turnout?

jwUy1zm.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: The charter of the UN does not makes exceptions because of low turnout, Chairman of the Hive. I am disappointed only the Gaians and the Peacekeepers have put their votes, but that does not change anything. I am surprised however, Chairman Yang, that you have not voted for the Gaians only to prevent me from becoming the Planetary Governor.

ztPVXzX.jpg

XdYYjjs.jpg
: I stand for my principles. I do not believe in such folly of elections, democracy, and I will not participate of it. Besides, my opinion about the Gaians is equal at best to my opinion about your Peacekeepers, it does not matter who among you two wins, and in the future, this pointless election, and the very artificial, pointless office of Planetary Governor will be completely forgotten. However, I abide by laws and rules, and thus, for the time being, I reluctantly accept the results.

14DDN.png
: You may fancy yourself Planetary Governor, Pravin Lal, but your godless elections will not save you from Hell. Repent while there is time. I still pray for your soul.

yp8uIKv.jpg

1gcyW.jpg
: Governor Lal, Morgan Industries is greatly interested in the exchange of technologies and researches, and on a separate deal, 50 energy credits in exchange for all my information about the Believers' bases. We are offering you the following, provided you have enough of worth to purchase them:

[...]

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Your terms are acceptable. Deal.

TWf2cl9.jpg

Many of the United Nations bases are coastal. The sea of the Planet is a new frontier. Somewhat different needs are involved in the engineering of vessels for these oceans than the ones for Earth ships, and the waters have the same fungus issue of the surface, and probably other alien life forms besides mindworms.

nrdsz4h.jpg

Morgan Industries had a plethora of computer programs capable of rewriting themselves based on user input of every kind. For example: Morgan Electronic Arts' videogames with randomly generated achievements, level scaling and dynamic auto-aim for inferior user interfaces that involve massive changes in their code rather than something merely superficial and "cooperative fiction", a new concept of E-books which content is dynamically altered by interaction with fanfic writers, of course too lowbrow for the average Peacekeeper talent, but still, there were better uses to this technology, much better uses.

There was a limit to the "creativity" of Morgan Electronic Arts in how they employed Polymorphic Software in computer games. A very big one, actually.

:popamole: :kingcomrade:

5SpQCaa.jpg

Another profession long rendered obsolete not mentioned there: games "journalist"

:incline:

Unfortunately it is too late to pursue the Planetary Transit System. As for Supply Crawlers: they extract one of the three resources from tiles outside the range of the base where they were constructed and transfer them to them. On Transcend the harder limit to max number of bases before extra drones in every base makes them even more useful. Hab Complexes allow for larger populations, Size 16 cities in the case of the Peacekeepers.

EYnFGiq.jpg

With Environmental Economics, the full economic potential of the Planet can be finally tapped. Furthermore, tree farms provide an alternate terraforming paradigm: with tree farms, forests become a desirable option for most areas except moist or rainy high altitude ones where solar collectors will still provide more energy gains.

YfgZm88.jpg

For Morgan, peace means unlimited exports, which means profit. Naturally, he offers a pact of friendship, and the Peacekeepers accept it because of a very different motivation: a dying hope for peace in this 23rd Century.

2ID8rwV.jpg

Contact with the Gains was also established, in the hopes of valuable technological deals and a pact of friendship that might eventually become something greater.

MCnPQXh.jpg

Since Agenda 23 began, the UN Peacekeepers shared something in common with the Gaians, except the motivations of the UN for its Green economy were very different.

gJWBADI.jpg

Rovers would make much difference in the still long conflict against the Believers, but there was another reason to finally gain access to such long neglected technologies, for they were stepping stones to something greater, something that could finally turn the tide of the war, now threatened to become a stalemate, decisively in favor of the Peacekeepers.

PwyU6HV.jpg

Mobility, Flexibility... there was one more concept to pursue in tangible means, but it would be their own research rather than a trade.

jpLltgD.jpg

Democracies have problems in supporting as large armies as tyrannical States. Formers in an environment as volatile as the sea would better be able to defend themselves, while plasma steel is a long needed upgrade, but while successful in offense, the Believers were about to upgrade their offensive capabilities with particle impactors.

oLF8bk9.jpg

The United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition would gain its own naval assets as well, extending considerably their reach and mission capabilities to fight against fundamentalists, dictators, terrorists and all enemies of Democracy.

bhPgIr9.jpg

To provide further support to the Peacekeeper forces, the first self-propelled artillery standardized model of the UN is created: the Peacemaker Artillery will be upgraded whenever necessary, like the Republican Guard already is going through in their transition to plasma steel.

x0W3cI8.jpg

Because of the threats that could exist over the seas and of the high support costs a large enough navy to guarantee naval supremacy would ensue, all naval supply extractors will be fitted with defensive armaments and have armored hulls.

wD6eQnu.jpg

Unarmored vs. Armored ships in Alpha Centauri
Which is better and why?

DISCUSS!!!

In any case, the Andhra Class Combat Foil(Andhra, not Andhaira) was designed to be a versatile combat vessel for the United Nations, and her crew had specialized training from Secretary Bester of the relatively recent U.N. Psychic Research Agency (AKA Psi-Corps or simply Ψ ) to allow them better chances when attacking a possible sea equivalent of the mindworms.

EEi8eUR.jpg

Speaking of mindworms, Bester's pet project may be utterly necessary to ensure the safety of a colony pod heading towards a region with two abundant energy resources for establishment of a new base.

9AySe4i.jpg

"Life is merely an orderly decay of energy states, and survival
requires the continual discovery of new energy to pump into the
system. He who controls the sources of energy controls the means
of survival."

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"

The exchange from fiat currency to real energy as currency was perhaps one of the most interesting socioeconomic developments in the colonization of Alpha Centauri's Planet.

LRq1qhK.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Human casualties: Zero. Are you sure you want to retain such an arbitrary prohibition on the use of such assets against the enemies of the United Nations, Commissioner. We could be saving countless lives of our citizens!

4LL94XQ.jpg
: "Our" citizens are not more human than those forced to fight against us. You know how cruel and horrific a mindworm attack is, why it is an affront to every possible human right. That rule of engagement will continue!

0w2sDKh.jpg

The war dragged on, but again the Peacekeepers would have the upper hand in technology, another stepping stone towards the skies. None of the electric engines can match the capabilities of fossil fuels in propulsion, torque or acceleration. The new fossil fuels were of the highest octane content, and with them new developments emerged, including missile based weaponry and the prototype for the first turbojet engine designed for planet, where soon a new era of warfare would begin.

EfSIA0t.jpg

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines Mobility, Flexibility, and Initiative.

-- Spartan Battle Manual

dyrsVFi.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Again, zero human casualties, and there are reports a greater mass of the annelids is now under control by our psi-tamers, which means they will become even more capable, perhaps enough to put a definite end to the war against the Believers. We both know, commissioner, how many lives this war has already taken, and building specialized labs to breed such psi-worms would minimize the final death tolls, make this war end sooner.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Mindworms are worse than death, Secretary Bester, much, much worse than death. Don't you have any empathy of the humane kind? Why do you insist with your project? Again and the next and next time you suggest it: mindworms are only authorized against other mindworms and use of them against human beings is a direct violation of the U.N. Charter of human rights. Period.

XMk5aCJ.jpg

Mindworms, mindworms, it's always about them. At least they served as a crude replacement for Command Centers during the first century of U.N. colonization, turning Green units into very experienced ones.

wHDJRVO.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: A second boil of annelids is firmly under our control, Commissioner. We could raise an army of them. Even one day living under the conditions some of the factions impose on their populace is worse than this unconventional weapon. I am proposing pragmatism, utilitarianism, and Historians will commend the end of such restrictions, I tell you. In fact, mindworm attacks are not, technically, an atrocity.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: And again, they will be used only against other mindworms, no matter how many times you attempt to convince me otherwise.

WbI25VT.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: You are lucky, Secretary Bester, on how you are not the one who has to explain to the crew of a colony pod why they should trust the mindworms protecting them.

UTCysPt.jpg

A new offensive started. Thanks to the deal with Morgan, the Peacekeepers now had the knowledge of where every Believer base was located, and they acted on it.

k0NBwm8.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Just for your information, Commissioner, Mindworms would not cause more noncombatant casualties than conventional forces during the liberation of a base. And I am not disregarding psych damage in this comparison. If anything, there would be a lot less human casualties, if you change your mind about my project's viability in this war.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I said before: no.

LvTlLPb.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: "Sister" Miriam. Your crimes are many, from homicidal witch hunts to firing people on the spot because a sky fairy hates certain sexual choices as much as Democracy and everything that is humane and advanced. Your people are imprisoned in a Dark Age of your own making, and they are as much of slaves as the drones of the Human Hive. You give me no choice but to commit the United Nations to the active defense of their freedom. *shuts down*

9aMJTm7.jpg

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: There is no need of recruiting conventional forces. My Psi-Corps and their mindworms can defend the U.N. Health Authority on their own.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I am not giving you a pretext to use them against human beings and come up with "I didn't have a choice!" should a sneak attack from the Believers, or from Yang, happen against Health Authority.

x3zKwjp.jpg

The chief aim of their constitution and government is that, whenever public needs permit, all citizens should be free, so far as possible, to withdraw their time and energy from the service of the body, and devote themselves to the freedom and culture of the mind. For that, they think, is the real happiness of life.

-- Sir Thomas More, "Utopia", Datalinks

bXyXwJR.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Colonel Santiago, think very carefully of what you are going to do in this meeting.

sPyyO7j.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: My commitment is to peace. The United Nations never start wars. Unfortunately that is not enough sometimes.

YydZw7G.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Do you take me for a fool?

jZqKOpJ.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Congratulations! You are contributing for the same tragedy of Earth to repeat itself here!

zFtzURw.jpg

Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

-- Spartan Battle Manual

Humanity Base will be the primary recruitment and support center for the Peacekeeping Forces.

Ttl2Jdb.jpg

The sustainable exploration of the natural resources from the forests grown on Planet gains a new boost with the first Tree Farm of the Peacekeepers. Many farms and solar collectors previously built around Information Agency will be demolished, because forests now are better than both in providing food, minerals and energy.

ylwZUM0.jpg

To speed up the liberation of more bases, all Believer bases under occupation were being converted into colony pods, while one of them was left undefended, the Peacekeeper forces limited by the strain they put on support costs.

hxNXMAJ.jpg

Then the Believers began to advance, to strike back. One of the liberated bases was defended only by UNATCO operatives, and thus, some unorthodox strategies had to be employed to ensure it will not be retaken by the fanatics before it is fully converted into a colony pod.

PBlSIgq.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: ...speaking of the devil.

UKmNhed.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: And how do you imagine your needlejets will cross an entire ocean?

N2QcObs.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I am no fool, Chairman Yang. The only reason you would ever bother calling me is...

UCMNFby.jpg

In the year of 1942, the Earth was engulfed in the second most devastating conflict of its entire History.

HlWaiTn.jpg

In the year of 2242, the conflicts on Planet finally escalated to a level akin to that of the Second World War, and thus, the First Planet War began, while on the ongoing conflict against the Believers, tragedy struck as a vicious counter offensive almost obliterated the Liberators advanced onto the next Believers base. Outnumbered, the Peacekeepers finally were revealed the full extent of the threat they faced after their early conquests. The slaughter of Liberator troops was far from the greatest disaster the Peacekeepers went through in that fateful year. Undefended, the Valley of the Faithfuls was attacked by mindworms. Nobody survived.

4LL94XQ.jpg
: As much as it pains me, I had to show you these pictures of the ruins of that Believer base. Do you understand now why I am so reluctant to employ those mindworms your crew captured in this conflict?

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: Why do you mourn for those religious nutjobs?

4LL94XQ.jpg
: Don't you ever forget, Secretary Bester, that our goal in this conflict is not to ban their religion, if we do that we will be no better than them. Our goal is to end their persecutions and curbing of every possible liberty in the name of their god.

Qtu8UUp.jpg
: That changes nothing, Commissioner. Like it or not, their religion will die without the oppressive and anti-secular environment it thrives upon. There will be no more Believers, even as a religious organization.

bgGnkMo.jpg

The tragedy that caused the loss of three Liberator units was a valuable lesson. The Peacekeepers cannot afford the luxury of having separate defensive and offensive units. The Believers can. Thus, the Liberators are drastically upgraded. First, the new Liberators will be fitted with missile launchers, boosting their offensive capabilities in 50% compared to the previous particle impactors. Second, they will be fitted with plasma steel armor to ensure they have a chance of surviving if attacked first, instead of depending upon Republican Guards transferred to the front lines.

JRR2MhP.jpg

4LL94XQ.jpg
: I do not understand why those nutty Spartans declared vendetta upon us.

5YVF99A.jpg

Fortunately, while the threat of the Human Hive is massive, the formation of the United Nations Air Force is very, very close. Furthermore, these new technologies will be fundamental to put a decisive end to this war where many of those who started their conflicts against the Peacekeepers are separated from them by an ocean. Some designs will have to be replaced as well.

VHMY0Mf.jpg

This could be the decisive advance to finish the Lord Believers for once and all.

ErVULvk.jpg

For a while, other factions advanced in the key researches first, and have beaten the Peacekeepers in secret projects. The Maritime Control Center will ensure the United Nations will have the best Navy on Planet, having the same effect as if every UN base had a naval yard, ensuring superiorly trained crews, and also allowing all UN ships to move faster through its advanced navigation algorithms.

ltzqS7d.jpg

To buy time for the endangered Liberator units after the Believers counter offensive, UNATCO agents used a special technique, known as D.I.S.C.U.S.S. , to convince Believers forces of how wrong they are using the internal, sketchy logic of their own belief system against what they are doing. Realizing how wrong they were, such Believer forces with the long outdated laser weapons charged in a mostly suicidal attack. The Believers already had access to particle impactors, which was why they were not simply deployed defensively instead.

x0Jrs61.jpg

Many UNATCO operatives died already, and most UN forces were concentrated on the southwest front, leaving their southeastern borders with the Believers relatively undefended. Believer terrorists exploded the Recycling Tanks of High Commission by making their pressure controls fail, and that was really, really shitty from them.

EoMW7x0.jpg

While unpleasant, the sabotage of the Recycling Tanks was not a disaster. The true disaster was a work of random change, as a power overload caused the deaths of too many patients and doctors inside the research hospital of the Commerce Committee, showing again that no matter how much humanity advances, death will always be waiting next door.

After the tragedy, it was time for Lal to listen to his people's opinion on several very serious matters.

1) Relations with the Gaians

A) Sign a treaty of friendship for the extra commerce, and leave it at that.

B) Approach the Gaians and seek friendly relations until a Pact of Brotherhood can be signed, hopefully as a sign peace may yet prevail in this tragic 23rd Century that taints the approaching 300th anniversary of the UN with the first world war outside Earth.

2) General war strategy

A) UNAF will win this war. Keep only a land force large enough to advance, and focus mostly on an air force that will rule the skies, rain missiles on the ground and put an end to the Believers for once an all. Of course, there is no practical way of building Aircraft Carriers... yet.

B) The Liberators must be counted upon. Armies win wars, in the end. Air support will be available, but not at the expense of maintaining the largest possible ground force the UN can afford.

C) Revoke the rules of engagement that forbid use of mindworms against humans, build labs to breed them and let Secretary Bester and his Psi-Corps do their job. Human lives will be spared this way, at least among the citizens of the UN, and the disregard of the Believers for the Planet will make such attacks even more effective.

3) The war against the Spartans

A) They have no means of launching an amphibious operation and are in another continent, at war with the very powerful and dangerous Human Hive. Just insist enough, and eventually they will have to agree with a white peace.

Bi) After the Believers are dealt with, begin a campaign of liberation against these gun nuts, and crush them until they surrender and accept unconditionally the UN Charter.

Bii) Same as above, but only after the Hive is also dealt with

Ci) After the Believers are dealt with, begin a campaign of liberation against these gun nuts until their faction is completely eradicated, for the fundamental values of their dysfunctional society alone are a threat to any enduring peace in this Planet.

Cii) Same as above, but only after the Hive is also dealt with.

4) The war against the Hive.

A) They have no means of launching an amphibious operation and are in another continent, at war with the Spartans. Just insist enough, and eventually they will have to agree with a white peace.

B) The Human Hive is an affront to everything the Peacekeepers stand for: Democracy, liberty and the rule of law. It is a totalitarian hell, a Dystopia made real, the worst possible faction to be born into of the entire Planet, if not of mankind(whether it is worse than Stalin's Soviet Union or Kim Jong's North Korea is not known). A faction like them cannot be allowed to exist, for its mere existence is a crime against mankind, a spit on the faces of Justice and Liberty, another darkest taint in mankind's history, the threat of a future of a boot stomping a human face, forever. Eradicate the Human Hive, give freedom to their people and put Yang on trial for his unforgivable atrocities.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
B(you can always go all Brutus on them later),B,A,B. God speed on your endeavors to spread democracy at the tip of a sword.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
1) Relations with the Gaians

81187380.jpg

B. They're the least agressive faction unless they know they can blob and kill you. With your Green economy, you will be able to at least hold a treaty with them for a time.

2) General war strategy
A. You must rule the skies and the sea to defend yourself from invaders and then bring democracy swiftly across the sea to other landmasses. Focus on creating most powerful navy and AF in the world.

3) The war against the Spartans
A. They're fightning Yang who has chaos AF? They're already fucked.

4) The war against the Hive.
A. Seek allies and intelligence on their bases and forces first.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cassidy said:
The true disaster was a work of random change, as a power overload caused the deaths of too many patients and doctors inside the research hospital of the Commerce Committee, showing again that no matter how much humanity advances, death will always be waiting next door.
Random change? Someone might want to watch their energy reserves. :)

B C Bi B

Peace!

Cassidy

Arcane
1-B, seek a pact of Brotherhood with the Gaians, 2-A, build a mighty air force(and possibly a navy too), 3-A, seek peace with the Spartans and 4-B, there can be no peace with as long as the totalitarian Human Hive exists, have won.

=============================

"The United Nations was our last, best hope for peace. It failed.
In the years of the Planet's Great War it became something greater:
Our last, best hope for victory."

-- Commander Prateek Sinclair, Mission Year 2260, UN Headquarters.

Tribute to Shiva

Hbu3MFR.jpg

Unfortunately attempts to acquire closer relations with the Gaians ended in unfounded paranoia, probably from Hive propaganda.

nFAZzIO.jpg

Fundamentalist terrorists have been eliminated by the Republican Guard, saving countless lives in one of the frontlines. Xenofungus has made this a long, drawn out conflict, but the Believers very ignorance and close-minded attitude shall become their downfall, as the technological gap will only increase, and soon victory will be but a certainty.

vuW0WD4.jpg

The first UNATCO boat locates some valuable supplies floating on the inner sea of the continent the Peacekeepers settled.

LeGEeBz.jpg

Something truly hideous and frightening was located, a floating horror, vastly more massive than any known cluster of annelids, wriggling, an "island" made of biological matter, and it was believed to contain within its innards legions of mind worms.

L6bDsfy.jpg

The Spartans were doomed, to put it simply. They were losing base after base, their superior training and weaponry not enough against the waves of "expendable" soldiers of the Human Hive. They were getting close to their doom.

8oqUr0O.jpg

The new prototype of Liberators capable in both attack and defense was now close to completion. Missile launchers would certainly give to the Peacekeepers the edge needed to finally proceed with the offensive and end the stalemate after the fall of three smaller Believer bases.

4zcDnIh.jpg

The University was in a very bad shape, according to scant intelligence reports, on the verge of total defeat to the Hive. However, all their research would not die in vain.

xxAFocN.jpg

The old transistor based computing technology was a relic of the 21st century, and this new technology is a stepping stone towards many other important ones, even if it lacks immediate applications by itself. Practically instant download of "EARTH'S INTERNET PORN COLLECTION" at the speed of light is only one of the countless benefits of these new computers.

3caXOHD.jpg

Unfortunately at this point it may be too late for the Peacekeepers to invent the Internets Planetary Datalinks, but on such principles of Cyberethics, a new ideal could yet be sought that would boost efficiency and research, although it would be a dangerous one considering their closest enemies, because of the security vulnerabilities embracing Knowledge and even freer flow of information would cause, vulnerabilities the Believers would definitively attempt to exploit. Furthermore, considering the state of total war on Planet, Power may be a more useful ideal, specially because of how taxing the not so large Peacekeeper forces are already being in their maintenance costs.

ZPAs1Ur.jpg

A doctrine that when taken to its logical extreme would be against everything the Peacekeepers stands for, it nevertheless will be useful, and considering the Peacekeepers are an all-volunteer military, there is no incompatibility with the Democratic principles of the United Nations.

bMkkuEr.jpg

A pact of Friendship was also signed, but it would become pointless, unless the University survives the Hive's hordes by a miracle.

R7T5tJl.jpg

The Planetary Trust will also have its productivity sacrificed to support a significant military force, starting with the first mobile unit of the Peacekeepers not gained through UNATCO operations: an Indus Armored Car.

Z23rcfG.jpg

Things are going from bad to worse for the Spartans, who lost yet another base.

nJqtf8q.jpg

Finally, an important step towards regaining the momentum, one of the liberated Believer bases will be completely abandoned, their inhabitants resettled in a better location that will ensure a more prosperous base. A coastal location with the inner sea to its north and access to an underwater geothermal energy source.

sq32UVH.jpg

A very interesting location is revealed, for a floating base. It seems there are many rich sources of energy, and even minerals, in the sea.

HBjk5Xu.jpg

Fortunately, this time they are the ones too late to catch up, and the Maritime Control Center will definitively be established by the UN first.

J3SOLNH.jpg

Mission Year 2253 was a dark year. Regardless of their ethical problems, the University was still a mostly free society. Another one crushed under the boot of the Human Hive.

YSm9ml6.jpg

Zakharov's fate was worse than death, and the fate of his people even worse. There is no worse torture than to be condemned to live under the totalitarian hell of the Human Hive. They will never want peace. This is a war to the end, and it seems clear that whoever wins this Planet's Great War shall rule over the fate of mankind.

dy8e2ce.jpg

You are orphans, earthdeirdre, your homeworld already buried so young among the aeons. Yet now you fill the skies where we watched a million sunsets with flame and contrails, paying no heed to the hard lessons the universe has tried to teach you. Are you a breath of life to invigorate a complacent world, you earthhumans, or an insidious cancer which must be excised?

-- Lady Deirdre Skye, "Conversations With Planet"

WtxTJeY.jpg

Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?

-- Col. Corazon Santiago, "Planet: A Survivalist's Guide"

hoRa178.jpg

The first military aircraft of the Peacekeepers is developed, the UNAF-1 Ramayana, specifically designed for the purpose of putting a definite end to the threat of the Believers and allowing a quick, decisive victory.

moCOr5E.jpg

The UN forces are rallying, preparing for the next, hopefully final offensive advance. Some Believers forces are crushed on the southwest front, and the more they futilely send, the closer their end will arrive.

St6Xljl.jpg

The Obsolete Liberators will be upgraded first, then reinforced with new units and continue the advance once such Believer base is also converted into another colony pod.

LCrtNMR.jpg

The development of air power brings a change in the plans for the long war ahead. Planetary Trust will become the primary logistical support center for the UN Air Force, and UNAF will gain priority now.

tlRJyGe.jpg

UNATCO operatives are on the way to infiltrate the Human Hive. This will be a dangerous, but important mission.

Y3GorzK.jpg

The Gaians win the race in another Project, the Citizens' Defense Force. Fortunately, there are ways to make up for it, such as pushing the offensive, such as what the Peacekeepers are doing in their conflict against the fundies.

vJM9uZI.jpg

Technologically, the Peacekeepers are not very advanced because other factions have expanded vastly more. The good news is that the gap is getting smaller every decade. The bad news is that others will likely achieve most Secret Projects first.

c6Yo7LC.jpg

It seems the Spartans are doomed to the same fate of the University, and soon only two factions will have any chance against the mindless slave armies of the Inhuman Hive.

WWeY5Eq.jpg

While another enemy force was crushed, in surprising news, in spite of their differences, the Gaians and Morganites have combined forces against the totalitarian legions of Yang.

QXBVuwZ.jpg

How obnoxious, to call a base "Throne of God". *tips fedora*

w2n2sX5.jpg

While the loss of half of the original force of Liberators was tragic, in 2256, it became evident that while the Hive would be the greatest threat to Democracy and freedom in all of mankind's history, the Believers were losing this war. It was only a matter of time now.

ypuDziB.jpg

Humanity base was an example of the cost of maintaining the military needed to quickly defeat the Believers. It was undeveloped, but now that would be changed with a new batch of formers.

WPY5JAA.jpg

Victory after victory, the Peacekeepers were preparing for the next push. Let them come first, let them die.

Gc30KJo.jpg

Meanwhile, contact was again established with the Gaians, and this time they were more willing to listen.

WMRY6TI.jpg

A new alliance was formed, one that may overcome the seemingly endless hordes of the Inhuman Hive. The third objective of Agenda 23 was thus achieved, to hopefully restore the original mission and its ideals.

2XoPQX0.jpg

Vital information was gained immediately, information that made it clear how close to obliteration the Spartans were.

f9wtmYH.jpg

From the "Believers" rescued from the tyrannical reign of terror of the fanatics, the Pillar of Rights was established, emphasis on the right of religious freedom, to worship any god, gods or nothing at all. It would serve as a forward base, and now the final push will commence.

49m2Str.jpg

This was merely a symbolic gesture, and a sign of how delusional and arrogant Santiago was in her last years. Almost resembled a certain insane tyrant of the 20th century, and considering what Yang did to Zakharov, she has a good reason to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger.

XdsxARZ.jpg

Sparta Command was about to fall.

jM9jz9z.jpg

This was definitively Santiago's final year.

oewnlLi.jpg

It was also the year a gambit was pulled.

J7aPrxn.jpg

The year Pravin Lal lost the elections to Planetary Governor.

rfYvPfD.jpg

The UNATCO overseas mission became a tragedy. Many capable agents died in the airstrike, and this made it evident a long war lies ahead, and there is only one acceptable outcome now for the Peacekeepers: the complete eradication of Yang's Dystopia.

A52qmiz.jpg

Apparently Colonel Santiago was with a gun pointed to her head when the Hive captured her. Why she did not kill herself is a question without answers, because what they did to her was neither tasteful, merciful or short-lasted.

QbzxjMU.jpg

UNAF will be established now, to give the final push against the Believers. Air superiority fighters will be dismissed for now, because the chaos guns of the Hive make it evident further advance in armaments is desirable before the Peacekeepers can fight for air supremacy and push the battle forward against their nemesis. Fittingly, the farthest Believer base is in a isthmus connecting the continent settled by them and the UN with the one dominated by the Human Hive.

Everything is almost ready, and soon a renewed offensive will happen to liberate more critical Believer bases. The Believers lost battle after battle in these years, but on the other hand the Inhuman Hive has completely subjugated the Spartans and the University, and their threat, despite separated by a continent, is very serious and dangerous.

C6bipm3.jpg

Meanwhile, there are other problems as well.

nd4u4gI.jpg

Xenofungus exploded near one of the UN bases, and Lal had a seriously bad dream. Whether it was his mind playing tricks or an actual attempt of an strange alien sentience to communicate is unknown, but there is a certain matter to deal with.

What should be the value the Peacekeepers shall strive for?

1) Power (+2 Morale, +2 Support, -2 Industry). The entire Planet is at war, and a powerful, well trained military will be essential for the Peacekeepers to overcome the masses of the Inhuman Hive, once their inevitable meet happens. Unfortunately it will also slow down production of facilities and new units.

2) Knowledge (+1 Efficiency, +2 Research, -2 Probe). As the manboons so painfully not learned in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. But it will also allow probe teams from foreign tyrants an easier time stealing technology and causing mayhem, and severely weaken UNATCO.

3) Wealth (+1 Industry, +1 Economy, -2 Morale). Wealth is an ideal that will lead to greater prosperity, more energy income, faster construction of units and facilities, but also to more decadent hedonism and librul sodomites, harming the morale of all military forces.

4) Keep mere Survival as the value of the Peacekeepers, for now.

3) Wealth is Power. As it is, the insidious forces of the Hive have a entire continent for themselves, protected by vast air wings and who knows what sort of sea fleet they have. It is clear that this war would be a economic defeat for the Peacekeepers while the Hive would grow and grow, until it archieves critical size and takes over the world. What is needed is to create a stronger economy and colonize more while harassing the Hive with air attacks and probe teams.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pick one to keep pact with Deirdre

I dunno, hard choice, that is what I hate about game when player doesn't play as Hive - it always the goddamn Hive in the end, no exceptions

I would probably want to close the gap in Tech first, so I would pick 2), and use armored probe teams as police for cities.

1. Librulism must never sink it's Lumpyan claws into the Peacekeepers. UNATCO must also remain strong.

Even though industry will suffer, you'll be able to afford more and better units.

Also, was ever explained what happens to interrogated leaders?

Modron

Arcane
3) Expand and outproduce and work to achieve air/naval superiority before building a D-day incursion force. Also wait until they start invading Gaians, those liberals need to be taken down a peg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom