Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Silent Storm!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've picked up a certain prototype. :smug: Got all the screenshots ready for the next two updates. Just gotta find the time to write them up.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes. I don't do many explosions, it's true. The next update will, however, feature a spectacular failure where I manage to blow up the entire building we're trying to infiltrate, by mistake. :smug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Seriously though, those grenade flinging renegades are a real pain. I got lucky that most of them were triggered at a safeish distance, so their attacks either missed or did little damage. The katana guy though, he was really annoying with his too-good-to-be-spotted hide skill. I was lucky I could tag him with a 'nade. :M

More likely one of mods you are using interfered with AI, and you probably received less experienced enemies, and I didn't use mod for faster skill improvement. That man with katana CAN kill panzerklain, so it's funny when he takes a MG on the ground and run away and tries just use ranged weapons...

BTW that group in Russia, you threw grenade at, when I arrived in they were much more active and it was tree side brawl for majority of the mission. And yes one of that bastard hid with MG42 and prepared himself for reaction shot, so I was forced to flank him around the whole building.

I've picked up a certain prototype. :smug: Got all the screenshots ready for the next two updates. Just gotta find the time to write them up.
That's the same map where I and Medic kiled panzerklain with a combat dagger. Medic used machete.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The only "mod" that I'm using is the skill one, and that's a script not a mod. It shouldn't interfere with the AI at all.
Indeed, I remember playing this game unmodded where I also did the katana mission at level 5. It is very much doable, if you're cautious and bring lots of grenades.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What version of game do you have? I found I have patch 1.2 installed, and the size of exe is: 8,956,928 bytes.

Throwing grenades meant activating all enemies, and subsequent merciless slaughter.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I believe it to be the latest version, as I bought it off gog.com, and they're usually updated. Not at the computer right now where the game's installed, but can probably check later.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, it's Thor's Hammer update time!
tumblr_m6jbxsWUPp1qcpo7bo1_250.gif

scNov.jpg

iLUCt.jpg

Our first stop is this russian military factory. Remember we found some documents detailing someone who had defected from Thor's Hammer? Apparently said scientist was traced to this facility.
Since we got some PKs last time, I figured we'd take them for a test-drive.
Immediately upon entry, we spot russian troops bearing down on us.

Mpzcx.jpg

Kodex starts taking pot-shots at the nearest ones while the PKs get into position. Panzerkleins are nasty pieces of work, can take and deal horrendous amounts of damage, but they're really slow. There's no running option for them. You can walk and crouch and that's it.
Once they do get into position though, the pain starts.

3IlYC.jpg

yaBBj.jpg

bH5O9.jpg

jEtmj.jpg

SPYLM.jpg

This is still in the positioning phase, though we do see Cappen dealing 130 damage to a soldier with a single shot, making the poor soldier go airborne.. :roll:
Note also the many red barrels and oxygen/hydrogen tanks standing around. A stray shot could set these off, and we might not want this to ha-

9WE7G.jpg

pYP69.jpg

Never mind. Just happened. Twice. The first explosion I didn't mind at all. It didn't take out any of the structure and indeed it helped kill two hostiles. The second explosion however, made a mess of the stairways leading to the two upper floors.. That will make clearing this level harder. :rpgcodex:
We'll get to that thoug, for now, revel in how this SMG toting hostile fails to make even the slightest dent in one of our PKs:

7scQT.jpg

Two times zero damage to the suit, and a paper-cut of 4 damage to the pilot. :smug: Pretty good, considering three bullets hit.
Due to us bringing massive and overwhelming firepower, clearing the entrance is pretty trivial. I've shot a short video of WetWo using his PK MG against a russian soldier, for your viewing pleasure.

2CEJC.jpg

F8YY8.jpg

1MMfA.jpg

GCMJx.jpg

The rest of this map is made trickier by virtue of the stairwell leading to the two upper floors being wrecked by the explosion. It's possible to climb to the first floor through a hole in the stairwell, and Kodex spots a single russian through a window.

7ZehW.jpg

For some reason, he cannot enter through said window, and the floor in front of the door has collapsed, so we can't enter in the conventionel manner either.
Instead, Kodex picks up an MG dropped by the russians and makes his own entrance. :smug:

M1wyE.jpg

IT94C.jpg

It isn't pretty, but it works. Soon we find our target, and he seems strangely unwilling to go peacefully with the force attacking the factory (us), so some persuasion is in order.

kk46h.jpg

z4Js4.jpg

This nets Kodex another levelup. Amusingly, the ragdoll physics saw our target thrown against a chair inside that room, so it looks like he's kneeling in front of Kodex in this screenshot:

cId0l.jpg

The increased sight angle is useful for not getting flanked.
With that skill picked, Kodex clears the first floor.

Wj4kb.jpg

rfs70.jpg

Rye7R.jpg

WgZur.jpg

Apparently one soldier had hidden behind the door in the room with our target. Too bad it didn't save him from our attention. :troll:
Back on the ground floor, the Panzerkleins are stuck with nothing to do, so I set WetWo to try and blow a hole through a large door in the back of the facility. For some odd reason, the game depicts the hole as if someone used a blowtorch to cut their way through.

AqQEw.jpg

L1rYI.jpg

All of Kodex' killings let dexte continue his training towards Second Skin.
Meanwhile, Kodex was faced with a problem. There were more hostiles remaining, supposedly on the second floor, but the stairway was out of commission, so he couldn't readily reach them. Unless he used the MG to shoot through the roof from the first to the second floor..

BkxOt.jpg

tJzCL.jpg

SB2Sr.jpg

FAPUK.jpg

This let him finish off the last hostiles. Now, I could have simply picked up our target and hit the "leave" button, but I decided to larp and carry him out. This presented me with an interesting problem. You cannot crouch nor crawl when carrying someone unconscious, so I had to enlargen the hole Kodex had made to carry the engineer out. Then, to get him to the ground floor, I had to stand near the edge of the metal walkway and drop the unconscious body so it dropped down. Then I could crawl down, pick him up and make our way to the edge of the map..
I took screenshots of none of this for some reason. Don't ask me why. A brainfart most likely.
On the plus side, two more levelups were gained.

0wMo2.jpg

DdWOO.jpg

Loti continues down the melee powerhouse track, and WetWo just needs three more levels for Second Skin.
With that wrapped up, we make to leave.

a7FRZ.jpg

v8F0u.jpg

ULjrB.jpg

7Doqu.jpg

Our target was another of the redundancies built in, to make certain we found our next target, the "Unknown complex". After restocking back at base, that's where we go next.

lrwqA.jpg

YC2ey.jpg

This is the first direct confrontation with Thor's Hammer at their own turf (if we don't count the storehouse in britain), it's also the strongest place we've assaulted yet. Add to this, no less than 5 objectives. :smug:
First we take a quick look at the map. There's a guardhouse close to where we start, on a higher elevation. There's a road/path leading to the front doors of the factory, that road is flanked by two flak cannons. Then there are watchtowers manned by snipser and in the back is a train, no less..

bmCS5.jpg

ljN4F.jpg

ZDdkk.jpg

btHRr.jpg

We start out by eliminating the enemies closest to our position, in the hopes that we stay undiscovered for as long as possible.

kc4P4.jpg

jvD9H.jpg

lJhOW.jpg

Pf1fo.jpg

It starts out well, but these two soldiers seem to know where the shots are fired from, even though we used silenced weaponry. Maybe they're scripted to run for this corner?
In any case, one of them gets close enough to spot our PKs, and this short and amusing intermission occurs (it's 12 screenshots with nothing but a bit of dialogue, so I've hidden it beneath a second spoiler tag):
MkZ6J.jpg

dATDY.jpg

TkJoc.jpg

UeMBJ.jpg

tmLaC.jpg

rASIk.jpg

tFjmD.jpg

me00f.jpg

NQjhe.jpg

eX6u3.jpg

tW6kY.jpg

ZLhEt.jpg
:roll: Nice to see the evildoers have competent henchmen.
These two are quite quickly dealt with though.

lyGtT.jpg

lKgrN.jpg

uAW6c.jpg

Once it seems clear no more hostiles are creeping up on us, I send Kodex ahead to scout out the larger structures. On the roof of the factory complex, he spots a soldier carrying a peculiar weapon.

eifF2.jpg

Not liking the looks of that peculiar weapon, we make it a priority to take soldiers carrying these down. This particular soldier is outside of our weapons range for now though, so he gets to live. For now.
Another problem is soon spotted, an odd looking PK.

vSpsS.jpg

Panzerkleins in this game are divided up into three distinct categories. Axis panzerkleins, like those we're currently piloting, Allied panzerkleins, of which we have seen none (you'll have to wait for my allied playthrough), and the Thor's Hammer panzerkleins. This is part of the last category.
What weapons the panzerkleins can equip is entirely dependent on which category they belong to, and indeed, the Thor's Hammer ones come with weapons preinstalled, weapons which cannot be changed.. This one seems to have a machinegun type weapon.
Kodex ignores this tincan for the moment and focuses on taking out infantry instead.

SdWZE.jpg

k2j6K.jpg

eC0Do.jpg

u24DF.jpg

ma5Cp.jpg

There's a patrol consisting of an officer and two soldiers carrying the odd-looking weapons patrolling in front of the factory, and Kodex manages to quickly and silently snipe one of the soldiers, meaning we could potentially pick up and examine the weapon now.
Loti interrupts our reverie, as another soldier tried to surprise her and the PK driving foursome in the corner.

RUgEl.jpg

That soldier actually ran almost straight up to Loti without noticing her. She repaid that courtesy with a belly full of lead. :salute:
Kodex picks off the last couple of Thor's Hammer soldiers outside the factory, and makes his way over to one of the peculiar weapons.

35gUq.jpg

uwISx.jpg

iAxOU.jpg

6UprF.jpg

jHXxc.jpg

Only one shot in the chamber, but beastly damage, and it's "Ray Weapon" type of damage. This makes these weapons ideal for dealing with Panzerkleins.. They're not our only option though. Kodex deals a bleeding headwound to a sniper, picks up some raygun ammo, then proceeds to show us why the silenced sniper isn't the ultimate weapon.

Bg3u7.jpg

cb1TT.jpg

ukEsk.jpg

It makes a pitiful "ping" against the PK armor, but does no damage to neither PK nor pilot. You need something with a bit more oomph. That's where the Sea Devil comes in (you could also make do with the top-tier sniper rifles available at the armory or other high-damage dealing guns, but the Sea Devil seems particularly well suited for this job).

One shot, 60 damage to the pilot and it causes a bleeding wound. :smug: Once that is done, you can just go hide and wait for the sucker to bleed to death.
Or you can put a few more rounds into him and hasten the defeat.

A85k3.jpg

Meanwhile, Loti has snuck up around the guardhouse and is dealing with infantry.

txhXb.jpg

Even without the melee crit skill, that katana will make short work of most enemies.
Kodex sneaks past the large door leading into the factory and spots some engineers milling about.

l6dal.jpg

XXjw3.jpg

dexte is being snarky. Kodex missed which is what he comments on. The round penetrated an explosive barrel behind the engineer though killing him anyway.
Near the back of the factory building, Kodex now spots our main quarry in a differently coloured PK.

GgqvQ.jpg

He's just one out of several objectives though, so we do not poke him yet. The longer he remains inactive inside the factory, the more time we have to scour it for the other objectives. So Kodex sneaks past the door into the factory and helps clear the last vermin out of the guardhouse, and picks off the laser ray wielding dude on the top of the factory.

JzHvt.jpg

DKqj6.jpg

After this, the PK pilot piloting the odd looking Thor's Hammer PK with the glowing green arms decided to bleed out, and Cappen levels up.

NBtB4.jpg

I'm not quite sure why I took rifle spec for him though. Brainfart?
Anyway, that PK with the green arms looks like it might be brandishing the same type of energy weaponry as the large ray gun. Cappen ditches his Axis PK for a ride in this snazzy red painted thing.

cTgQm.jpg

HWjkn.jpg

G5Mau.jpg

Not only does it pack ray guns, it is also silent enough that you can sneak while piloting it! Truly Thor's Hammer kept the best toys to themselves. I decide to appropriate any other ray-gun wielding PKs I see. These are much better than our own tech. On the last pic you can also see that the sniping damage also incurred a slight damage to the PK itself, but relatively minor at that.
With Cappen overwatching the factory entrance, Kodex sneaks inside to look for the other objectives, and he's soon met with succes.

fhn17.jpg

RMGei.jpg

Hel seems annoyed. :troll: Back at the factory ground floor, Kodex snipes a few more engineers, while the leader of the facility sits snug inside his PK, seemingly oblivious to what's transpiring directly in front of him..

KG7vy.jpg

kQvg7.jpg

NUrZe.jpg

2dUnH.jpg

There's a good deal of XP being made on this map. The game recommended this map as the next logical step, but even then, it's an xp cow for us. :bro:
Those engineers represented the last live infantry on the map, so Kodex takes his time to find the last mission clues.

qdthx.jpg

RP0WO.jpg

asrgJ.jpg

ikyqQ.jpg

While Kodex has been going through the cabinets in the factory, Loti has been sneaking around the complex to take a closer look at the train. There, she spots another ray-gun PK..
She decides to be brave and assault it with her katana! :yeah:

7bcpi.jpg

yNLNB.jpg

Amazingly, it pays off! Piloting a PK seriously hampers your spot skill, allowing her to get right up next to it and initiate combat without being spotted. Targetting the head improves the chance of causing a blinding critical. On the enemy turn, the PK manages to miss Loti with its dual ray gun, so she finishes it off on the following turn.
I have Tind disembark her Axis PK and make her way towards this one. Meanwhile, Loti tries to flank the main mission objective and spots a third ray-gun PK! Not willing to risk her luck too much, this time she does hit and run attacks. Run up, slice the PK twice, then run and hide. It works beautifully.

3TFei.jpg

In three rounds, the third ray-gun PK is devoid a pilot. :salute: Loti starts picking locks the only way she knows how. In a nearby chest, she finds a sniper cannon for axis PKs.

ro5Z7.jpg

Now, when she tries to open the next chest with a short burst from her SMG, this happens:

I had saved a couple of minutes prior to this, so I didn't have to redo the whole mission. :roll:
This also lets us know that the facility is rigged to blow. Knocking our main objective out will start a silent countdown and if you're still on the map when the factory blows, it's a gameover. That's why ignoring the white PK is a good idea, at least as long as it's not bearing down on you. M:
Just out of curiosity, we man one of the flak cannons, just to see what kind of damage they could have done to our PKs.

xg61J.jpg

:what: Ohkay.. Didn't remember them being that scary..
Anyways, only one thing left to do. Kodex snipes dear mister Orlov in his PK, and we finish the mission.

ODgo0.jpg

dZH2A.jpg

QECgQ.jpg

TLvgi.jpg

WSgna.jpg

All you need to do is pick up Orlov and click the "leave" button. It's green now that all enemies are defeated, so you don't need to make your way to the edge of a map. And this is a good thing, as it'd be difficult to make it in time. So, I click leave, and we get a bunch of debriefing.

OFUb5.jpg

l9nR5.jpg

cubsh.jpg

JFQcf.jpg

vhfp1.jpg

fIacm.jpg

4ZpS7.jpg

tBV3Q.jpg

Thor's Hammer wishes to deploy something into the earths orbit and hold the whole world ransom? :incline: Guess we'll have to stop them first though. :roll:
Back at base, we take a moment to admire our newly acquired PKs, that have now replaced our primitive Axis type PKs.

Mdjc5.jpg

No character sheets in this update. You'll have to wait for the short bonus update for those. I hope to produce said update soon, maybe even tonight, but seeing as my wife's working and I'm alone with our two children, I will prioritise them above my LP.. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Get ready for a special bonus update where the developers of Stilent Storm tip their hats to the fan favourite turn-based strategy title out there, UFO: Enemy Unknown. :salute:
Actually finding this homage isn't easy though. Or it possibly can be. You see, it's in a random encounter, one that spawns quite rarely. For the WoW-heads out there, imagine you're waiting for Broken Tooth to spawn in the badlands, before the patch that nerfed the Beastmaster Spirit Bond skill. You wanted Broken Tooth, as that was the only cat you could tame, that had an attack speed of 1.0, and the Spirit Bond skill triggered for each attack.
Well, back then, I spent I think 3 whole days before the kitty finally spawned and was so excited that I almost jumped off my chair. I did manage to tame her and ruled the battlegrounds for a couple of months until they nerfed pets so that all pets of a certain type had the same attack speed. No more 1.0 attack speed for my beloved cat, it had been raised to the 1.3 average for kitties.
Well, enough of that. :codexisfor: Back to the business at hand!
The random encounter we're trawling for is only available on the Switzerland map. There are two possible random encounters there. You won't get the generic hostile patrol here, as Switzerland is supposed to be neutral. So the two possible random encounters are the Sea Devil mansion you've already seen, and the encounter I'm looking for.
The latter spawns very rarely as I've already mentioned. The good thing is, you can see which encounter it is before actually triggering it (walking into the red icon), by virtue of what half of the Switzerland map it is on.
If it's on the right hand side, it's the Sea Devil map:

GGkXc.jpg

I do a single run of the Sea Devil map, just to confirm that the Sea Devil is a one-off weapon. It is, the map does not contain a second copy of the rifle, but the same soldiers (allied and axis) and some more ammo for the rifle. Which doesn't matter, as it automatically spawns in the armory when you hit the "sort" button.
It's not a waste to enter the map though, as we get a couple of levelups.

kQ3jM.jpg

QG4td.jpg

sncvC.jpg

xXKPU.jpg

Kodex improves his spotting abilities, Loti is just one levelup away from the melee crit skill, and dexte and WetWo close in on the Second Skin skill.
This map also allows me to demonstrate the power of the Panzerklein mounted MG against infantry.

Watch that trooper fly backwards. :smug: WetWo poses for the camera afterwards, revelling in his bloody glory.

71DsB.jpg

We also get some medals for this simple encounter. Amazing what killing a few allied soldiers will do for your reputation in the Wehrmacht. :smug:

Iavp6.jpg

THBU5.jpg

WYuhn.jpg

AyQNx.jpg

Then I am back to staring at the Switzerland map, waiting for the right red icon to appear. After about 30 minutes (I'm not kidding here, I sat reading a magazine while occasionally glancing at the screen), this appears!

NWj97.jpg

It's on the left hand side of the map, excitedly I click on it and we reach it before it disappears. Holding my fingers, I stare at the mission loading screen and when that finally dissipates I'm rewarded with this:

zMcTC.jpg

rnvKV.jpg

MxqpN.jpg

It's a wilderness map with a UFO in the middle, guarded by several Thor's Hammer PKs, so I know I'm in the right spot. Supposedly, this could also explain how and why they got access to laser weaponry and power armour. :roll:
The real treat on this level though, you reach on the other side of the UFO. Getting there without getting shot at is nigh impossible, even with our very good hide skill. There are 7 or 8 PKs on this rather narrow map, placed so there are no obvious gaps to exploit. I do manage to get quite close to them before Kodex is spotted, and his AP pool allows him to run to the other side of the UFO and go into hiding again. Searching the bushes behind the UFO, you can find this little baby:

fF2ff.jpg

ar6Ix.jpg

Aw :yeah:
Yep. They modeled it after the Enemy Unknown laser rifle. This one does require reloading though, but the clip holds enough juice for 50 shots, so it isn't much of an issue. It deals horrendous amounts of damage, even to PKs, but that doesn't mean you're invincible. It isn't silent, so using it will get you spotted by the enemy. Kodex does his best and starts the party.

The burst fire mode makes killing PKs easy. You just need to get close enough for most shots to hit, and then you won't get interrupted. On this particular map though, wounds are unavoidable if you're stupid enough to solo it as I did with Kodex. :roll:

7aSUs.jpg

Brew0.jpg

xuIRH.jpg

xnHBf.jpg

WJvwy.jpg

It's good xp though, so levelups will happen.

HxwMo.jpg

2o0EV.jpg

rFm39.jpg

CDfMo.jpg

xvbHg.jpg

4djl0.jpg

3PyIX.jpg

Kodex improves on his assassination skills, Tind hadn't gotten her proper skillup last mission, she improves her shooting skills, Cappen learns how to move silently in a PK (!?), WetWo and dexte are almost in their Second Skin, and Loti is finally the melee monster she wanted to be! :bro:
With those skillups done and meted out, all that remains is the careful mop up of the map.

lo6ut.jpg

a9e0j.jpg

ouvfI.jpg

mReNx.jpg

Aw9x5.jpg

rvPEW.jpg

We bring along the specially painted PK, just because it looks mean. :smug:
Back at base, we finally take the time to look at the character- and medal sheets. Also, apparently both Tind and Cappen got another levelup, so we deal with those first, then the sheets.

Zm2Vv.jpg

Because going solo is a scary prospect for an engineer, even one driving a silent, ray-gun toting PK, Cappen tags the Team Spirit skill.

alWgi.jpg

Tind improves further on her usefulness in combat. :salute:

EcWhg.jpg

rWWmJ.jpg

WgO0B.jpg

0sxHl.jpg

r7c3c.jpg

3OaXQ.jpg

Djmm4.jpg

JurNR.jpg

jvUdd.jpg

LEZwz.jpg

uGc3g.jpg

Gc9or.jpg

Truly a crack team of experts. The days of being knocked unconscious by stray shots behind us, due in high degree to the new PK armour and also to the excellent hiding and spot skills displayed, I realize that Silent Storm isn't as amusing an LP to watch such as the old UFO: Enemy Unknown or TFTD. It might also be due to my cautious playstyle. Whatever it is, I hope you still enjoy watching this LP. If not, well, I'm still going to finish it. :troll:
Just one more update for the final two missions. I intend to play those now, but I most likely won't have time to actually write the update today, so you have time to bump this if you want the next update on a new page.. M:

lightbane

Arcane
The average enemy soldier's reaction when they see your Panzerkleins:

Also, bump.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Finished the game. :smug: Have to leave for work in about half an hour, so there's no way I'd be able to do the writeup today. I guess that gives all of you more time to post on this thread what, 12 times? So we reach page 7. The final update will feature several movies, as there's quite a bit of chatting and a dramatic showdown with Hel. :salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
And a third bump to complete the mystic pattern. Hail updates, hail progress, hail Lucifer!

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wunderbar.
Might want to go for Vanguard for your scout as well perhaps, the other I win button the scout has to offer. Not really necessary depending on enemy interrupt skills, though, most likely. Also very neat that you're already lvl13, I never got farther than lvl13 for my soldiers in the game.

btw is it possible to play SS in 1920*1080?

as an aside, I think this is the maximum amount of panzerkleins one can get in SS, as Allied. /OCD
MpgwG.jpg
Did anyone ever manage to get the regenerating panzerklein (black with a heart) in Sentinels btw? Seemed to me like the pilot couldn't be one shot killed and took so little damage that the panzerklein died before he would.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Did anyone ever manage to get the regenerating panzerklein (black with a heart) in Sentinels btw? Seemed to me like the pilot couldn't be one shot killed and took so little damage that the panzerklein died before he would.
It's been a while but I think I managed that by using a normal sniper and scoring a critical. Not sure though.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tomorrow I plan on writing the update with the conclusion to the axis campaign. I find it strangely fitting to finish the game on update #13 in any case, though I do plan on also doing an allies run. That will feature fewer updates, as I will not be dwelling on the mehcanics anymore or all the dead bodies left behind us, but only on differences, the occasional unconscious group member, and the briefings between missions, just to see if there's any differences there.

By giving you this heads up, we also might even get to page 7 before the update arrives. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom