Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Let''s Play: The X-COM Files 0.5.2b Alpha! BLIND! ITS BAAAACK!!

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Nov 21, 2016.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    This LP is set to return after November 19- I have a civil service exam then. I got a update in the pipe, and will slowly repost the old ones once I can.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Also I actually meant February 19 not November.

I'm a busy bee currently, web design course. Its quite bigly. Update once I can.

^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I'm going to post the last update, then I will have to re-post all the old ones.

• incline incline x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    It lives! Maybe. Newest patches addes tons of stuff and balances to the early game's weaponry. Should be fun to watch.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Freddie Savant

Freddie
    Looking forward for updates.

^ Top  
  6. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    What will come first, update here or Grimoire on steam, the race is on!

^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Behold, secret agents and alien cultists alike! The CodeX-COM Files are back!
    I have found a new image host. imgbox is great and allows me to update entire updates in pretty much seconds, really. Nothing says love like a huge, copiable list of img links that takes only a few seconds between pressing the button and switching tab then pasting on Codex.

Query: Does anyone have an archive of the first update? Its the one that I cannot find in my backups.

This is the last update with old 0.5.2b. Turned out to be a good thing to stop, too - I'm going to leap straight to 0.6.2 and enjoy early-game I might have lost on this playthrough. I guess. Weapon balance changed, so better get ready soon. Now I'm going to re-upload the old updates (with imgbox, looks like this will be fast), then once I finish it, I will post new ones. Now, on towards the update!

Episode XXXVII. Outnumbered

Show Spoiler

Previously, on The X-COM Files...

Extraterrestrials are real, they are here and not for peace. They hide in shadows, behind masks and cloaks, the traitorous and unaware, human proxies and puppets. Vast shadow conspiracies work together against mankind, and no one knows who they are. They can be anyone, they can be anywhere, the horror can happen anytime. All nations of the world are vulnerable to attack.

Together, they formed the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit to fight this threat. X-COM is under-funded, under-appreciated and overwhelmed. Yet, X-COM marches on - for we are the only ones able to fight them. We shall clothe ourselves in a shroud of darkness to hide from the unknowing world and become the shadows. Through darkness we will bring light and save humanity from the invader.

We are X-COM. We protect humanity while staying in the shadows, and bring truth to light. One day, all falsehoods will fall, and the world shall wake...

[​IMG]
    The Wall, between which the hordes of evil and the people of good lie.
    This is the center of the investigation of the conspiracy. Military and civilian leaders convene, plan and strategize. Agents train, heal, and swap stories with their fellows. Enemy captives are interrogated, alien bodies are studied, technology is created and bureocratic red tape is cut.

Aliens, their patsies and their pets threaten the human race. So much blood has been spilled to keep the sleeping world slumbering in peace. It has been almost six months, and the war is far from over. In fact, it is just beginning.[​IMG]
    Remember we were running out of well, pretty much everything? This month we had some extra money, partly thanks to a certain Sinhalese cop.
    [​IMG]
    In the interests of our organization, we must hold more prisioners. As we need space in our main base for future endeavours, we build this facility in the secondary one. In case The Wall is taken down, Cretan Grinder can resume the war with minimal efficiency lost.[​IMG]
    Four days pass by, and nothing happens.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I guess the aliens figured our superiority and l-
    [​IMG]
    Uh-roh! I wonder who this is![​IMG]
    Britain? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the Dagonites. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Strange creatures in African jungle![​IMG]
    Squads One and Two dispatched to the ongoing situations.
    [​IMG]
    The bigger cult missions usually include a lot of cultists goons. Something tells me I will start surrounded by goons on all sides.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Still better than that time I started surrounded by like ten EXALT gangers in all directions except up and down.
    [​IMG]
    Horus decides its action time![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full TUs at start - the bane of the X-COM agent.[​IMG]
    Luckly we got kevlar, they got peashooters and these guys can't shoot for shit.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One down![​IMG]
    Two down![​IMG]
    X-COM accuracy strikes again. We shall pay the price, soon...[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is this a shotgun or what?[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :salute: Hoverdog II, hovered to the heavens like a hero[​IMG]
    Zdzisiu II also fails to kill the cultist a few meters in front of him.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The cultist has a shotgun and doesn't fail[​IMG]
    :salute: Zdizisiu II, practice more shooting in your next life[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Three down thanks to profeshional!
    Nitro Express easily plugs cultist scum.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Horus avengers two of his comrades in arms with one shot![​IMG]
    The situation: We just lost half the team on the first turns, and there is a unknown but likely to be around dozens of enemy agents on-site. Despite this advantage, we choose to press on.[​IMG]
    There is no image here, but Horus stuns a cultist.[​IMG]
    Those cultists just keep appearing![​IMG]
    Manageable![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In a stunning display of incompetence, one of the cultists of Dagon shoots his comrade in the back, to hilariously-fatal results. :lol:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another down like a animal. profeshional is blowing gaping holes into people left and right.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fucking useless.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would love to take prisioners, but I have no idea who's important and who's useless, and I'm down to two agents, so I will just keep shooting until I get a chance. I want those points bad![​IMG]
    profeshional treats this like a safari, and teh cultists are the hunted animals.[​IMG]
    Oops cultist![​IMG]
    Walk back!
    [​IMG]
    Stupid fucks[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hard-Nogging Neil here doesn't want to be nailed.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    profeshional's ammo and the cultists are on a race to see who ends first. So far profeshinal has ammo for a dozen cultists to send to their "god".
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Enemies on a building![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This fucker was tough (possibly a vip?) but even he goes down.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    At this rate, Dagon Cultists will go extinct.[​IMG]
    profeshional keeps tight on his good sniping spot[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cultists near the building.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shit another cultist! Horus wants to go for capture![​IMG]
    Retreat time![​IMG]
    profeshinal gets out of cover and wants to be bolder[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Horus is shot and hurt![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another tough fucker[​IMG]
    Fucking X-COM accuracy. Do they practice to shoot this badly?[​IMG]
    S2 Kevlar[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finally, Horus blows this fucker out with MAGNUM FORCE![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Patchup time[​IMG] [​IMG]
    AAAAH CULTISTS FUCK KILL IT![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Turns out that was the guy we stunned. He was just some dumb, so who gives a fuck.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    WEAPON GET: SHOTGUN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That building has shooters![​IMG]
    We can't shoot, they can't either...[​IMG]
    Oh boy I'm so scared of two cultist mooks after I slaughtered like ten of those[​IMG]
    I'm scared at how my soldiers keep missing[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is that a crossbow?[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The ammo is running out...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Staying in near-melee range is not a good idea, especially because Dagon cultists are beefy.[​IMG]
    profeshinal hides[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BOOM[​IMG]
    Sadly this was Prof not Horus, who could've stunned the perp[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Crossbow confirmed![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    RIP[​IMG]
    14 cultists beaten by... 2 X-COM agents. Can you say WIN?
    Sadly no tech or captures, but at least points.[​IMG]
    Considering these two just killed a dozen cultists, I would say they should have gotten bigger boosts.[​IMG]
    Interesting loot, and what's boring will be sold.[​IMG]
    We don't exactly need more axes.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cattle Mutilations in India! Locals vexated! People fear losing the favour of the Gods, as the cow is holy to them![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cultists in Central Asia![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boy, is this going to be a busy month...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    This is what you get for slacking for 2 months!

^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Show Spoiler

You should use spoiler boxes. This new image site seems quite good, but the pics are enormous.

^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I always do. I just forgot for some reason.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

^ Top  
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I have found the first update! Took a lot of fidding to post it, because the two last images went in the wrong order during upload, which threw the whole thing into disarray.

Also fuck my original update scheme. It used to be like this:
    [words describing it]
    [image]

Then I later reversed it.

Ironically, it is faster and easier for me to post new updates than repost the old ones.

Consider this a countdown to the true new beginnings of this Let's Play. The first one is back up! A new beginning! Let's hope my imagehost doesn't get pushed out under me again!

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Sorry man, lack of time, studying webdesign. Will try to compensate once I can.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I finally decided to try this mod. It's quite a change compared with vanilla. However, not being able to see the stats of something common you can use because it hasn't been "researched" yet is annoying. Also, I had a bug where adding guns to my transport caused them to somehow fall down to a negative number, and refuse to accept any more ammo. Thankfully, loading solved it.

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Men

I cannot get to my old netbook's files right now. My old charger fucked up (its the cable wiring I guess). So, no old screenies and no savegames. What does it mean for the future of this LP:
    a) It will be months until I have the money to buy a new cable or a whole new charger. Yes, I am that poor. Hope for me to get a internship or a job.
    b) I can start a new game with the latest version. Which is sorta important because mod is nearly at 0.7 already. Many changes and bugfixes, biggest one was prob CQC, which seems to be a wonky mechanic right now from what I heard and will get subsequent change. Prolly gonna wait until it hits 0.7.x, AKA "new feature introduced and bug ironned out".

Thoughts?

Indeed it is. I think the biggest change is getting used to doing more with less - going from 14 soldiers to 2, and using pea-shooters. X-COM's vanilla gear looks a lot better once you play this.
    The way absolutely mundane things have to be researched are indeed weird. So far this has not been addressed appropriately. Like, having to research AKs and axes.

If you want BIG change, try PirateZ. The meta is quite different from vanilla X-COM. Vanilla X-COM generally rewards careful gameplay, while PirateZ rewards aggressive or careful gameplay, depending on the scenario and what is being done.

• decline decline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    the prospect of following two guys with water guns in a car again for months doesn't sound very appealing to be frank

^ Top  
  17. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I was going to talk about the mod at some point, but I wasn't sure where to write this, as it's not really well-known in the codex (I believe it doesn't even have youtube videos). In any case...

You don't even know what you don't know. I played far further than your LP shows and you sure learn to appreciate how good "earthly" weapons can be in specific situations, and you'll love the day you complete the research topic that gives you access to explosives, at fucking last.

Unfortunately, I'll delay playing for a while until the next update is made, as right now I neutralized 3/4 of the "main cults" and it is becoming increasingly apparent that the mod is unfinished (for example, due a bit of the game's original code leaking somehow, I was able to acquire access to gear I shouldn't have been able to acquire yet).

I think it's a limitation of the game, which the mod tries to address by mentioning how you have to "catalogue everything". On the plus side, most of the common human tech/guns can be researched in a single day with just one scientist, so it balances out. The problem comes when you get high-profile weaponry that is beyond your current "promotion level", giving you trouble ti acquire ammo for it, or even be unable to research it at all.

However, so far the worst problem is that I confirmed the mod IS NOT balanced for higher difficulties. I used to play at Veteran (I don't have to prove anything to anyone and waste my time in Superhuman mode), but it is obvious it was designed for xcom vanilla gear in mind. While most faction maps can be completed more or less fine, special scenarios pits you against over 40+ dudes or even more. Have fun fighting against half hundred zombies which are improved and armored compared to the "standard variety". Piratez is even worse, as some missions can have up to hundreds of enemies. Hence why I switched to Experienced, even if in exchange most missions seem easy. I also helped Solarius Scorch by reporting bugs and exploits I found and the like.

Speaking of Piratez, one thing I liked to do during these "homicidal soldier" maps is to stun doctors, thugs and policemen/women as many as they can: They're rendered K.O. and thus safe from enemy attacks, but it allows you to "recover" their inventory for some money. :lol::lol: Of course, the Council gets a bit annoyed at your "recovery practices", but the score loss is worth it.

I tried it, but I think I'll pass for now. It has some questionable choices as a rather difficult to read letter font (due to the combination of colors it uses) and the standard "battle theme" is BAD. REALLY BAD, think "Dead State-grating" of bad, and not even fitting with the game's usually cheery tone.

As for the LP, do what you think best, I dunno if I'll follow it though, as I have said I'm done with the main threats and right now busy with other factions while I wait for the aliens to arrive.

Lastly, I recommend you to go for logistics ASAP and any research subject that lets you carry more agents (moreover, the best transport until the Skyranger arrives is locked behind Promotion 2, so it will take a while). I warn you that getting the Skyranger will take a long time to do so.

EDIT: As for the LP, I recommend you play until you reach Promotion 2, then start from here, treating the thing as a fast-forward.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    ^ Top  
  18. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think X-PirateZ is not just a great mod, it's one of the best games I've ever played. Never a dull moment. Although newbies suggest you mod to make it a bit shorter, because playtime can be in the hundreds of hours (at least it was as of v.97 or so). Makes Long War seem like Mario with warp whistles.

^ Top  
  19. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    If you can give examples how to mod to do so, it would be good, as I'm not sure how you can shorten it except by adding more money or something. Also, is there a way to change the terrible font text and the music? The combat music is terrible. These are my only complaints about the otherwise hilarious mod.

^ Top  
  20. Solarius Scorch Literate

Solarius Scorch
    You cannot have both! Either bugfixes or new features... since new features always mean more bugs.

*ekhm*

[​IMG]

If this is not addressing enough, then please enlighten me. :)

Well, to be honest it is as designed... I wanted to tone down some maps like Cult HQs, but Dioxine begged me not to. :) Well, if he enjoys these big battles, then maybe I shouldn't deprive everyone of them.

You can turn the music off and just play some YouTube. :)

As for the font in Piratez, what exactly is wrong with it? I've heard some complaints, but I just can't see how it's illegible.

^ Top  
  21. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    There should be something in between "few enemies" in lowest difficulty levels and "ALL OF THEM" in the Veteran and above difficulty levels though.

That's a shame then. Are there multiple "battle songs" or just the default one? Perhaps I'll install a mod or two to replace the music.

Early versions had a font color that was fine, but in recent ones the new color doesn't contrast enough with the background, which means you have to strain your eyes a little to read that purple text sometimes. I was exaggerating a bit before.

^ Top  
  22. Solarius Scorch Literate

Solarius Scorch
    Duly noted.
    Does the problem only concern HQs, or cult bases too?

Modding music is trivial. Just remember to not use mp3s, as OXC hates them. Oggs are a fail-safe solution.

I think it's a personal thing, but yeah, I can imagine it can be jarring.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Depends, cult bases are generally okay despite having 30+ guys because sooner or later at least a quarter of them end up surrendering when your guys are slaughtering them non-stop, but HQ bases tend to have labyrinthine layouts, monster-like enemies immune to Morale or even both. I still have to do the Black Lotus one though.
    I dunno how will the rest of the missions fare, as I stopped playing the point where hybrids and more supernatural creatures show up, although the MAGMA Lab mission is a nightmare in higher difficulties, as there are too many zombies and your guns usually aren't shooty enough to be up for the task.

Another thing to note is that since enemies are way more aggressive in Veteran and above, rare weapons/missions/gear have an higher chance of appearing, but it is compensated by the higher number of dudes to shoot at. It would be good to have a way to increase the chance of rare gear showing up in Experienced (ie: The Wildey pistol).

For now I'll wait until next version is uploaded before continuing the game, probably the same for Piratez.

Okay, I'll have that in mind.

Yeah, it is. Is there a way to manually alter the font size, or at least the color? It would help a lot IMO.

^ Top  
  24. Solarius Scorch Literate

Solarius Scorch
    No, sorry but the font is automatic. But AFAIK there is a mod to bring back the old font... somewhere.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)