Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Let's Play: The X-COM Files 0.8.7 Alpha!

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Mar 20, 2018.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    The X-COM Files

“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.”
    H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds

“Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.”
    H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds

Extraterrestrials are real... or so it seems. What do they want is as mysterious as their existence.
    They hide in shadows, abduct people, behind masks and cloaks, human proxies and puppets. Perhaps they came for peace. Most doubt it. Perhaps vast shadow conspiracies work together against mankind, and no one knows who they are. They can be anyone, they can be anywhere, terror can happen anytime. All nations of the world are vulnerable to possible attack.

Together, they formed X-COM: Global Investigation Bureau to fight uncover this possible threat. X-COM is under-funded, under-appreciated and overwhelmed. Yet, The Bureau marches on - for we are the only ones able to investigate the mystery We shall clothe ourselves in a shroud of darkness to hide from the unknowing world and become the shadows. Through darkness we will bring light and save humanity from the invader.

We are X-COM. We protect humanity while staying in the shadows, and bring truth to light. One day, all falsehoods will fall, and the world shall wake.

What is this: The X-COM Files is a Open X-COM mod. Made by Solarius Scorch, built upon the mechanical improvements of the Open X-COM Extended and the fantastic community mod effort of the Final Mod Pack, not to mention the cumulative efforts of a lot of X-COM modders. The X-COM Files expands the game back, going years before the alien invasion, showing the roots of X-COM and its origins as investigative agents. Before X-COM became the worldwide alien-fighting organization we know, they were but a small and disbelieved investigation group for the United Nations, seeking evidence to prompt action by the World's Leaders. They investigate the weird, the strange and the impossible, seeking answers to the strange phenoms going on in the world:

- Are we alone in the universe?
    - Who are they?
    - What do they want?
    - What are they doing?
    - Can we defeat them?

Investigate strange events!
    Elucidate mysteries!
    Uncover the Veil that hid the real world from you!
    Discover mysteries!
    Fight some conspiracies!
    Purge horrors untold!
    Unmask sinister cults!
    Interrogate suspects for their info!
    Dissect things that are not of this world!
    Kill traitors to humanity!
    Research alien technology!
    Awake the sleeping world!
    Strategize your investigation and war against aliens!

Can a few underfunded, badly-armed agents uncover the great mysteries, discover the truth and save the world from a incoming alien invasion by superior alien intelligences?

The Truth is out there...

LP Index:

December 1996:
    Intro. The X-COM Files.
    Right here.
    Episode I. Introduction to the X-COM Files.

January 1997:
    Episode II. Homicidal Maniac
    Episode III. Chupacabra
    Episode IV.
    Unidentified Flying Object
    Episode V. The Church of Dagon
    Episode VI. The Birds
    Episode VII. EXALT and Black Lotus

February 1997:
    March 1997:
    April 1997:
    May 1997:
    June 1997:
    July 1997:
    August 1997:
    September 1997:
    October 1997:
    November 1997:
    December 1997:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    RESERVED BY GOVERNMENT ORDER

^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]

Sign me up.

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Wait a moment, you did it once in the past, I remember!

But I want in, as Eastern European slav alien baton basher!

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MZeta Educated

MZeta
    MZeta reporting for duty, once again... :salute:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Round 2, begins! Watch out for Sectoids, they're stronger than ever! Personally though, I would wait a little because the zombie plot arc is almost finished and will likely feature sexy mummies, but we'll see if you ever get there.

In any case, some advice from my last playthrough: rush for Logistics and remember to "accidentally" knock out some civvies during misisons to recover their stuff for some extra money, the penalty is so little it is worth it.

Also, have you considered lping Piratez instead? That one demands a lp if only to work as a tutorial due the complexity of the mod.

In any case...

Agent Light reporting for duty!

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Was gonna do the extended intro yesterday, but too much sleep. Will do it at night.

That is [CLASSIFIED]
    Wait for the black car that will pull into your drive-way in a few hours.

Fine then, you get the honor of Stun Baton duty! Have fun running at the aliens!

Let's hope the Government Conspiracies don't take down my image host, AGAIN! Put on your trenchcoat and get in the car, we're going to fight some conspiracies!

I heard! They got a big buff, didn't they? Personally hoping to run into them so I can try the insanely suicidal feat of trying to storm a UFO with sidearms and trenchcoats.

I think there will be time for sure, I will try to update at least once or twice per week.

Wait, sexy mummies?

Lol that just sounds so dickish, I will try at least once.
    Stealing from civvies to get their money, that just sounds dickish, but hey, X-COM.

Too big even for me, and it requires a better sense of humor than mine, heh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oh, I am so much following this LP! :salute:

^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    "The plan is useless, but planning is essential.”
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Episode I. Introduction to the X-COM Files

Show Spoiler
    Extraterrestrials are real... or so it seems. What do they want is as mysterious as their existence. They hide in shadows, abduct people, behind masks and cloaks, human proxies and puppets. Perhaps they came for peace. Most doubt it. Perhaps vast shadow conspiracies work together against mankind, and no one knows who they are. They can be anyone, they can be anywhere, terror can happen anytime. All nations of the world are vulnerable to possible attack.

Together, they formed X-COM: Global Investigation Bureau to fight uncover this possible threat. X-COM is under-funded, under-appreciated and overwhelmed. Yet, The Bureau marches on - for we are the only ones able to investigate the mystery We shall clothe ourselves in a shroud of darkness to hide from the unknowing world and become the shadows. Through darkness we will bring light and save humanity from the invader.

We are X-COM. We protect humanity while staying in the shadows, and bring truth to light. One day, all falsehoods will fall, and the world shall wake.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello gentlemen, welcome to my second LP of the X-COM Files Mod!
    Get your trenchcoats, my good men. We're going to fight some conspiracies.

I, your commander from the distant, exotic lands of Northern Brazil, am ready to save humanity from aliens. Are you?
    Before we start, let me show you the ropes, rookie. Some of you veterans may not be as interested in a intro, but there are new articles, and possibly new concepts.

Note: I've noticed a lot of empty black space on screen, possibly because of a setting I got that doesn't maximize everything out of the Battlescape. I would like opinions of my fellow codexers wherever this looks ok or not, next update will be different, for comparison.

Note 2: Yes, I'm writing in all-bold, to make the text harder to notice amid over hundred images.

[​IMG]

There is only a single choice here. Real Men play Superhuman.

[​IMG]

(Re)Build the Wall, and make the Sectoids pay for it! (with their lives and loot!).
    As much as I would rather build a base in the Glorious Brazilian Empire (I hear y'all foreigners rather enjoy anal probing anyway), the Project needs cash and the USA and Canada simply give more than my glorious homeland. Rest assured, covering South America will be done once we have the means to. There will be nowhere for the alien scum to hide.

The base may seem weirdly north, but this is due to my concerns re: radar coverage. The plan is that the NA base shall cover part of the Artic as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the base of the X-COM Bureau. Installations are as basic and spartan as one can imagine, yet functional to our current needs. A Bureau dedicated to fighting aliens (which may or may not exist) and is barely taken seriously. We're lucky we have an actual roof over our heads, only because our allies in the council convinced them that tents were too much penny-pinching.

Currently, our installations are made to host a small investigation effort, not to run a war effort against the alien menace. That may come later, once we prove ourselves.

Let's take a tour, shall we?

[​IMG]
    Yup, there ins't even barely anybody, and with this, we shall have to start the effort against a possible alien invasion, by an ultra-advanced race that may hold itself in control of most of the world's governments already. Theoretically. If they exist, I mean.

[​IMG]
    I take stock of our invetory.
    I carry more things in my backpack everyday. Not as much lethality on those, through.

[​IMG]
    These are our expenses and income. I suspect costs will mount up soon.

[​IMG]
    On my tour of our facilities, I enter our hangar/car pool and find... a single car. Sadly, not much of a cool car.

[​IMG]
    This is what we can build right now, in base facilities. Not much, but some new facilities which we shall see soon, in this tour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One wonders why X-COM ins't being given Seal Team-6 types, but that would be like sending the army to kill cockroaches, I guess?

[​IMG]
    How many of our enemies consider us waste of budget, and how many consider us a real obstacle to the plans of their true paymasters? We shall see.

[​IMG]

Strange, powerful cults and sects wielding power inside society. Secret Societies doing strange things, talking in strange code and worshipping strange beings. For years they have been tolerated as the weirdos they are, and many of their members are well-placed enough to influence governments to look the other way. No more, they must and shall be investigated.

[​IMG]

My Intelligence Officer has absolutely no leads.
    She is right - we need living, talking people.
    Althrough I wonder if those strange cults know Raise Spirit. That would be a way to solve the "dead people don't talk' problem.

[​IMG]
    The Bureau's number one problem: Being taken seriously.
    To most people in the know, we're a joke.
    Let them laugh, they will sing a different tune in time.

Cults, criminals and monsters. These are the only things we know might lead us to the aliens so far.

[​IMG]
    Not just shootings. Also stabbings, bittings, bludgeonings, throwings, punchings, burnings, etc etc.

Please give me a bigger gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something tells me we will be doing a lot of this in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When dealing with the unknown, deploy the strange.

[​IMG]

No taking anything without getting it looked at. What looks harmless may be dangerous, folks! we are a disciplined unit.
    Chaos with a big C?! That certainly explains all the concerns about researching axes.

[​IMG]

For those who never played this mod, or PirateZ, Camouflage is like poor man's invisibility - its armor that makes harder to be seen. Very useful if used right, especially at night. Skilled use of camouflage might allow one to get dangerously close to an otherwise heavily-armed target.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No need to hunt down the last straggler, sometimes.

Now let's check our arsenal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Boy, our list of friends looks short and sad.
    That redhead does help one cheer up, however.

[​IMG]

Unlike the previous version, keeping the car around is worth it. Its faster, and unlike vanilla, missions can go away with time, even if a vehicle is already heading towards them.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about running a Car/Van/Mudranger, or a Car/Van/Van set-up for now.

Let us look through our base facilities:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gym allows us to train our soldiers to increase their stats. If you have ever played X-COM Apocalypse, you have seen this before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pretty much no protection, but we look cool on this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For underwater missions. Possibly for use between missions as R&D.

[​IMG]

Seems lame, but look at that TU cost + damage. I have done well with a knife before.

[​IMG]

Possibly our most important weapon so far, this is what will get us prisioners. To wield the holy Stun Batton is a great honor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lacks the power of the baton, but it compensates with ranged attack.

[​IMG]

I don't remember the extended clip, that's very nice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Codex knwos how much I love this little gun... Zom-B-Gone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Our tour nearly finished, we take time to check up on the soldiery:

[​IMG]

Darth Roxor is a rather talented agent that will be good for carrying heavy weaponry... once we have any. IF, he lasts that long.

[​IMG]

Zdzsiu is not that good, but has better reactions and has been given Stun Baton Duty, the most honoured job in X-COM.

[​IMG]

Both our soldiers shall train when off duty.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Research begins, we let every scientist research a thing, due to diminishing returns.

[​IMG]

We have no engineering capabilities at the moment.

[​IMG]

General Stores and a Hangar built. Slow, but steady base expansion. We cannot afford nor need anything else.

[​IMG]

Our shopping list.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Something is happening in North America...

[​IMG]

Roxor on the wheels...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our only soldiers' current equipment.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We decide to check up Holyweird, you never know.

[​IMG]

Patrolling the Mojave makes one wish for Nuclear Winter...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hell yeah, we got some more gear.

[​IMG]

Wait, what? Game begins on the 31th? That seems weirdly pointless.
    Why are they satistified? I did almost nothing.

[​IMG]

Mission! For the police to send this upwards and be called, things are tough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monsters in Sri Lanka! Perhaps space monsters?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attention, men! Its time to choose! We have two missions in our sights, but we might not be able to undertake both.
    As I said before, missions disappear with time even if selected and vehicle sent. That includes UFOs. I shall give our soldiers a choice:

a) Should we engage the closer situation of the Homicidal Maniac?

b) Should we ignore that Madman and go to Sri Lanka and obtain samples of possible alien life-forms?

Your choice, RPGCodex!

Next: The Action begins!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Homicidal maniac in Minsk? Its probably just a drunk gopnik, not worth the plane tickets.

Go for the strange and exotic alien visitors in Sri Lanka. I bet they are sexy looking space vixens!

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    makes u think

Also, we must save our brotherly nation of Belarus from kapitalist infiltration.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Yeah, think about undead queens of allmighty powers rather than bandaged corpses.

I got this after a burst of inspiration from Piratez. It works better with Doctors and Policemen/women, since they always carry valuable stuff. Even better, while they're KO they won't be targeted by enemies.
    Amusingly this tactic doesn't work too well in Piratez.

Yep, I lost interest in August of the first year due the sheer number opf options, but I'll give it another go some time. A lp of this would require to cover only the first or second year to make it fun.

Sadly the Mudranger is useless, only worth IMO to do an "enemy base" mission by setting up a small xcom base of yours close to its spawning location. Otherwise skip it.

This actually makes it a fun stunning tool by shooting enemies once or twice and wait for them to bleed until they pass out, then heal them. Works everytime.
    Watch out with aliens and monsters though. Actually, the surrendering mechanics is a must to survive in higher difficulties, you must break the morale of the enemy so that they give up. Monsters don't surrender though, so you'll have to kill these. Lastly, KO'ed enemies count as surrendered even if they wake up later.

Lastly, did you know that you can actually throw the flashlight for greater coverage? IT actually works.

Somthing about the manual about the events starting at this date.

Finally, I vote for:
    a) Should we engage the closer situation of the Homicidal Maniac? YES.

Don't forget to "recover" material from willing (and unwilling) citizens.

^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Check up on the madman.

^ Top  
  14. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Got some time to play.

A Wins!

Wish me luck!

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Episode II. Homicidal Maniac

"The individual is handcapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists."
    -
    J. Edgar Hoover, first director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation

Show Spoiler

Attention, agents! Time to deploy!
    President Lukashenko of Belarus has been kind enough to allow our agents entrance to his country. I think our men being fellow eastern europeans may have smoothened the process.
    I do hear there has been some problems lately there, but we're here to fight aliens not deal with local politics (unless aliens are involved).

Police is trying to control the situation as this Madman goes on a rampage, but thankfully they have heard our request and did not charge in and kill the maniac.

[​IMG]

Considering how much in the dark we are, I think this guy knows more than us at this point.

[​IMG]

Zdzsiu is packing a stun baton and shotgun, and carrying some of Roxor's spare ammo.
    Nice beard and mustache bro, btw :obviously:

[​IMG]

Roxor is on glock duty, with a flashlight and first-aid kit. His higher strength allows him to hold more objects which we will need in the coming operation.

I must say, Agent Roxor rocks a quite nice beard, too.

I'm not a beard type myself, but I gotta respect a good beard when I see it.
    Gotta dress sharp and professional on the job. :obviously:

[​IMG]

We start in almost pitch-black conditions. Would be very grisly if we were dealing with alien beings capable of sight superior to the human eye, but fighting a human, that puts on equal terms. As we do outside battle, we do inside battle: We hide in the shadows and wait the time to strike.

Note to newbies: X-COM Extended (a modded .exe of Open X-COM with additional features) is built with its own, peculiar lightning system meant to cope with the... inaquedacies of the original game's one.
    The original game didn't put much separation between sight and illumination. X-COM Extended allows to do so, but its still running on a engine meant to imitate the original game.
    In practice, what this means is that darkness is darker and day is brighter.

Sight range is also higher than the original game, which means you can see A LOT MORE at daylight, and nights are pretty much pitch-black. Not to worry through, your character can still see, but you (the player) can't. But there is a solution to this, see bellow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Night-Vision Mode activated. This allows us to see what our character sees in the darkness. X-PirateZ has a similar mode, but here it looks like night-vision glasses, while PirateZ's looks more like orange-tinted Predator vision.

Another difference here is that in X-PirateZ, your Pirate Gals are mutants (aka Ubers) who are physically superior to humans, including better vision at night (but worse than the Aliens'). Night Missions in PirateZ are often useful, as one can use the night and camouflage to hide from normal homo sapiens. In The X-COM Files, we're just humans, so we're playing on "fairer terms".

Also I think I acidentally pressed on empty all TUs, so Zdzsiu can't do shit on this turn.

[​IMG]
    Darth Roxor finds some civilian hiding in a shack.

[​IMG]
    Suspense.

[​IMG]

Despite the shady-looking knife, that gang-looking guy is not a homicidal maniac. Probably still homicidal, I bet. Shady fuck. No signs of any maniac.

Zdzsiu is given orders to stun the suspect and uh, check his belongings.

[​IMG]
    Darth Roxor engages in some, uh, inspection of another civvie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fucking poorfags. This is what happens when you try to, uh, inspect poor eastern euros in the 90s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More useless civies. Let's hope that if the Maniac shows up, they get shot first. Hey, better them than us, I'm thinking of all the other civvies here. Really.

[​IMG]
    Z tries to ask the kind gent with the blade for "contributions" to the project. Sadly, he appears not to be interested in contributing. Zdzsiu fears that he may have angered the man with the knife point-blank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Darth Roxor finds another civvie walking besides him, but sadly once again he cannot contribute to donations for our investigations.

Meanwhile, on the other side, guess who just showed up and ran up to Zdzsiu?

[​IMG]

What a nice, helpful guy! He wants to help by giving us a colt and a knife. Also some bullets, probably. We take up on his offer.
    I'm sure he's not really homicidal, just misunderstood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bagged and tagged.

[​IMG]

Our agent reads snippets for us, of what he can discern anyway, not being a native:

Show Spoiler
    Dear Diary:

"Today I find out aliens real. Strange light, then sleep like hangover. My butt still hurts. I is not of gay, so I don't even enjoy hurtings. They do bad things to me, strange shapes."

"Is of why glorious soviet union dissolved? Is President alien? I needs of doing something."

"I miss commanism."

"I think they watch me."

"Buy more vodka."

"The shapes, the shapes... they small... those eyes..."

"Cousin Pavil don't believe me. Is crazy, he says. Need doctor. But is no doctor, no more potato to pay doctor. Psycology is capitalist western pig-dog lies anyway."

"Drink more vodka, nightmares getting worse."

"God is? Old teacher say God is dumb, only Revolution matters. New teacher says God is good, Revolution dumb. Not know, not sure. Can God or Revolution save from aliens?"

"Sometimes I of losings control of body. Hear strange shrieking sound, then lose control of body. Body move by itself, feels like just looking at me doing stuff. Is aliens, or drink?"

"The vodka doesn't help anymore."

"I hate capitalist pig-dogs, but like their guns. Brought colt forty-five, makings of big boom."

"I have decided to bring fight to alien capitalist pig-dogs. They hear me when I kill. I think they all infected. Surrounded by sheep."

[​IMG]

Case closed, mission accomplished!

(I think that score is A LOT for such an easy mission!)

[​IMG]
    Our men didn't do much, so not much room for stat improvements. Zdzsiu did get some work-out in the field.

[​IMG]

Why is some random guy in Eastern Europe packing a better gun than my agents' starting gear?

[​IMG]
    PROMOTIONS! Zdzsiu is the first Sergeant of X-COM! Let us hope more promotions follow!

[​IMG]
    Just for the curious, homicidal maniacs are quite cheap on... wherever people go when we sell them. From what I remember, a farmer fetches ten times more. Are we selling people into slavery, here? I think we are just giving them to human traffic.
    *shudders*

[​IMG]

Our Eastern European agents go back to base, after a sucessful mission.

Then...

[​IMG]

IS THAT A FUCKING, GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT?! I NEED THIS AT ONCE!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The UFO lands somewhere in Alaska, but sadly we only have one vehicle now and our agents are still travelling back home with a gagged, dopped, bound wannabe serial killer from Belarus and his things.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ANOTHER UFO!

[​IMG]

The Sri Lanka Strange Animal mission is still around (but it may vanish at any moment), and our UFO is currently near the Caribbean.

Time to choose your destiny again, CodeX-COM:

a) Deploy to Sri Lanka and hope the situation has not finished until we get there.

b) Drop everything and rush at that UFO. We may get our first genuine alien bodies and tech early on.

c) Stay home. Too late for Sri Lanka and the UFO is too far.

Remember:
    Missions and UFOs in The X-COM Files don't wait for you forever as long as you have a vehicle going there, unlike in vanilla.

In other questions, our car is still unnamed. Suggestions?
    And lastly - X-COM NEEDS YOU! ENLIST TODAY!

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    chase dat UFO, duh

Fiat 126p

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    UFO, 'course. :obviously:

^ Top  
  18. MZeta Educated

MZeta
    +1 for UFO
    Also, I was going to put an suggestion for a name for the car, but Roxors Fiat 126p is fitting.

^ Top  
  19. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    Sign me up, my man.
    Go for the UFO.

^ Top  
  20. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Go for the UFO, maybe I will get a chance for more baton probing!

Also, call the car "Black Volga". We are already kidnapping people with it.

^ Top  
  21. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Yes and no. Some items are so easy to research that they're done automatically even with 0 scientists invested. In the case of logistics, having more manpower is so important that rushing this particular tech is a must IMO.
    Prop-tip: You can throw your flashlights as I mentioned. You also can change your night-vision color at will, as well as it's particular details in the options menu.

Told you that only doctors, cops, gangs and sometimes soldiers carry up important stuff to "recover".

Speaking of: Watch out with gang wars and "sky resorts" missions. They're pure rape in lower difficulties IIRC, no idea how much butthurt will superhuman generate.

Fun fact: Madman's diary is a thing you can research and is pretty much similar to what you wrote.

Lastly:

b) Drop everything and rush at that UFO. We may get our first genuine alien bodies and tech early on.

You cannot capture them alive, so bring shotguns and shoot to kill.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. BrotherFrank Arbiter

BrotherFrank
    By the time i got around to checking out the previous lp,all the images were borked, so booking my place nice and early here.

Whilst im at it: sign me up among the future recruits.

^ Top  
  23. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Sounds kinda hot...

Stopped playing PirateZ when my previous computer had problems, did it change a lot since then?

Don't one soon gets a better Mudranger? But yeah otherwise useless.

In my previous LP I kinda phased out the glock early on because I was hurting for more firepower. I shall not commit the same mistake this time.

Surrender already saved my ass a few times in PirateZ, I once won a nearly-lost Mutant Purge against Supremacists by killing fuckloads of anti-mutant dudes until most of them got scared and surrendered.

Did X-COM Files do anything with the fear mechanics? PirateZ has interesting mechanics they incentive taking charge and going on the offense, because your morale goes down with time and hiding, and up with killing, so you have to choose between the careful approach and going all MAXIMUM FUCK at the enemies and tallying up a bunch of kills early on - break the enemy with shock attacks, if you will.

It also kind of "soft-balances" stun-based gameplay, because PirateZ rewards you a lot for stunning peple for their things, their knowledge and once that's spent, their ransoms. Stunning doesn't raise your morale, so you have to balance your stunning with some killing or your entire team might pannick at the wrong time.

Scripting?

Oh yeah, CQC! I remember it was adopted after my first game, how does that even work?

Some researches are not worth extra scientists on it.

^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I know that.

(I love how X-COM allows you to thrown pretty much everything. That good ol' Gollop simulationism. In PirateZ I threw the guns of stunned enemy on roofs all the time, lulz)

Alright, disregarding civvies from now on.

lulz. Once I get a spot I need to grill that dude and his diary, gotta get all dat info.

I'm not even gonna try, Procedure is to hide and cower, find a single, lonely alien, proceed to rain bullets and shot upon it and then hide 'n cower, repeat popamole until sucess, cautiously approach its body, take its body and its gear, then run back to the car immediatly. With two-agent teams and total peashooters, I would be lucky if I managed to take down a single, lonely floater or sectoid.

Reminds me of the original LP when I ran into a mission against a single Silacoid. That shit was like a terror movie.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    A lot! No idea which version you stopped, but now there's exclusive research paths that forces you to play multiple times to see everything, new auxiliaries, new and easier to get guns, better explained mechanics, bows got good again, etc. Actually, the latest update has been launched recently and it includes the possibility of hiring console peasants! Aka cheap meatshields/X-Com agents-style units that are available since the very start before you get your own slaves. Also, doggies!

The airborne one doesn't get barely any improvement in range, requires time and space spent in the workshop and not worth it IMO, except for that Magma mission. You'll know which one I mean if the lp gets far enough. That's only one of the few instances in which you need as much of everything as possible.

Yes and no. Regular X-Com agents don't randomly lose their nerves unlike pirate gals, but stunning enemies doesn't reduce THEIR morale either. Having civvies and allied units die does reduce your agents' morale, especially the higher the rank of the victim was, so watch out.

Also, in Piratez you're recommended to get Gals of Bravery 80+, as by that point they become immune to the Leroy Jenkins! fear mechanic.
    More like the manual stated that UFOs were seen by that date and thus XCOM was formed. It also gives you extra time to prepare for the anal rape.

Easy: Don't use guns except pistols in melee range (aka face-to-face) or chances are that your agent will fail to hit anything. That makes monsters more dangerous but also lets you use it against enemies as well.

Also, one mechanic that it's probably not explained in-game is that now shots done at enemies not in visual range of the particular unit suffer a penalty of -50% that's not seen in the accuracy number. So watch out.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)