Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Thea 2: The Shattering

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If the elf chick wipes the floor with our party in that philosophical debate about light, darkness and shiet, it's a game over

See, that's what I'm talking about. Struggle. Fun.

I'm sure Azira wouldn't be asking for our opinions if there was just one viable choice.

Citizen

If the elf chick wipes the floor with our party in that philosophical debate about light, darkness and shiet, it's a game over

I'm sure Azira wouldn't be asking for our opinions if there was just one viable choice.
His option is to savescum a bit and prepare for this fight :M
If no, then I'll leave this place for later (saved just before entering), and come back when we are equipped to win the mental fight.

I'd say attack right now and see what happens (probably gameover, but what if not?)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

His option is to savescum a bit and prepare for this fight :M
If no, then I'll leave this place for later (saved just before entering), and come back when we are equipped to win the mental fight.

I'd say attack right now and see what happens (probably gameover, but what if not?)
Not quite savescum. I'd just not enter the cave yet, but wait until the party is stronger.

It seems like there's a consensus that we shouldn't go along with this elf's plans though, and people want to see a game-over. Might just do that, THEN reload the save as Storyfag mentions.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Another choice. Is this the end of the LP? Or should I reload before the fight, not do it, but return later?

You chose to face the elven party. So be it.
V0Izauo.png

I'll screenshot the opposition, so you can see their stats.
sdU5Kfv.png

d1u6kS3.png

pUoxsxj.png

h0hmyrW.png

BTN6n8S.png

7SuqGlI.png

jtAyJ5N.png

vts0Un4.png

The thing about elves... They get boosts to perception and wits, and access to a pretty good skill called "Ancestor's voice".
CmH9H31.png

It's a three-target attack. With quite decent damage, and low delay.
Results are predictory. Autoresolve doesn't leave us any chances.
nfhV1kR.png

So let's try to manual battle this thing...
Here's the lineup.
EhoCHxu.png

We're still on the first round of combat...
MlRhpOH.png

Extra attacks go directly to the cards not played yet.
6J8fGpT.png

w0ykDcm.png

Ouch.
hScZdom.png

We leave, badly beaten. The next turn, two of our group has lost their will to live.
j2GtYEa.png

Undeterred, I go for the nearest event, as I remember it from the first game, it's without conflict. Nice tip of the hat to Monty Python. Should've chosen the third option to the final question.
J0lftgf.png

oC3qQcc.png

oGh0h1U.png

anFeMqp.png

eT12jbT.png

qSddnHM.png

The very next turn, another expedition member leaves us.
UwUoo3P.png

Exploring, we hear something interesting and mark it.
imsKOLw.png

JFTAhnF.png

We went balls deep with the elves. Will do nothing less against undead.
zEBTC2c.png

Ig5SH6B.png

iayz4N1.png

8g1nDrm.png

Fypjk6y.png

Vy2fLBK.png

85bUB8b.png

We're not about to be left off easy though, as on the end turn event, a random encounter attacks, dealing even more damage to us.
3vF5uYs.png

Finally, we get an encounter with a reasonable peaceful solution. Or not.
2JOqr1z.png

CoQ0Mkr.png

Not unexpected, another one bites the dust. Our strongest (in terms of physical strength).
Then, on the same turn, our Chosen One.
I could kill off two other team members to keep her alive, or use the cosmic seed, but with the current setback, I'm more comfortable with simply ending it here.
HjPAD3E.png

uOJP1DA.png

KizWYK4.png

The end? Your choice.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Hurr, that whole sanity mechanic doesn't sit well with me. In the first game the whole "avoid combat by any means possible" concept felt quite good and innovative. By choosing a non-combat approach (like social, sneaky, tactical, etc) you could avoid losing people, even if failure resulted in other unpleasant consequences. This time around choosing between "talk to them" and "kill them all" has no real difference, you will lose people either way. Not happy with this design decision.

Do you want me to return to the save from before trying to take on the elves, or do we leave the LP as it is now? :M

I, for one, would love to see more pain. More suffering.

Citizen

void combat by any means possible" concept felt quite good and innovative. By choosing a non-combat approach (like social, sneaky, tactical, etc) you could avoid losing people, even if failure resulted in other unpleasant consequences. This time around choosing between "talk to them" and "kill them all" has no real difference, you will lose people either way. Not happy with this design decision.

It's still the same. There're just 3 types of challenges now (physical/mental/spiritual) and each of them can be either lethal (you lose healt/sanity/faith) or non-lethal (other consequences). SO nothing really changed in that department

Reinhardt

Arcane
And our strongest character is some random dude...

Reload and revenge!
Or, at least, rename "Guard" into "Reinhardt". Because why not.

Citizen

It was just a vodka-fueled nightmare, a short glimpse in the future-that-could-be

Now it's time to wake up, get some beer and aspirin, and do it the right way

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, a reload it will be. One thing I take from this though, is the premature game-over meant that I unlocked another god. One of the special ones. Triglav.
He seems to be Serious Business.
So I've made another, not-LP game, for when I feel like playing without having to do alot of screenshots.

Going to put that on the back burner though, as I want to finish my LP and not get derailed.

But no new update coming today, as I'm feeling slightly ill with a sore throat, and am going to watch Witcher instead. :salute:

Reinhardt

Arcane
One thing I take from this though, is the premature game-over meant that I unlocked another god. One of the special ones. Triglav.
I think it's same as in first game. You grind more cumulative game score - you unlock more gods. Iirc it's even possible to just start new game>sit in starting village>wait until someone come and finish you off>repeat.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Waitaminute. Wasn't Nicebrain's character male? His male magic user trial backfired, turning him undead (btw, is he still a magic user, making him technically a lich?). Thea is indeed a magical place.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Arighty. Let's pretend this didn't happen:
uOJP1DA.png

We do NOT enter the "lightbringer" hex which marks the next step in the main quest.
pzmmzrv.png

Instead, we bypass it and do the Monty Python reference, this time remembering to take the trollish option in the last question, and we're rewarded with some stat increases for baud
cMt5Ckt.png

I forgot to show you this earlier. But the higher tier resources? You can make these by combining lower-tier ones and burning coal. "Alchemy".
You can only make resources you have unlocked with advancement points though, so these are the ones currently available to me:
aEyBbVZ.png

glNjQnL.png

I make a bit of Ancient wood back in the village, while our explorers go on, well, exploring. They happen upon a demon contemplating the inherent unfairness of the universe.
7i67Dsw.png

gfwsHR4.png

8cGpw2b.png

kOXY6WA.png

8kJoESW.png

FCkC2rg.png

bE7gVYA.png

G3w5Lj3.png

z7BRCWE.png

Well. That was ... fun?
Anyways, we passed the bridge by besting the bridgekeeper. Time to get our reward.
d4Vhzs2.png

rbbceuk.png

4XChEpV.png

szj7kfw.png

DfNlpp0.png

I don't know if I could've gotten a better reward if I hadn't asked about the boons, but frankly, I don't care. This reward is pretty sweet! Some quite rare resources, and decent armor upgrades. It'll come in handy when I face the elf again.
Our Zerca levels up.
3RSY3dX.png

And the child we've been hauling around also levels up. I decide on a gatherer, as I need more resources more than fighters. In Thea 2, you cannot have more than 7 cards on hand for challenges, so I'll need to drop off the extra gatherer at some point.
vg5KkGo.png

N9xzIW6.png

On the green island, there are other smaller isles around. I sail to one of them and find a village of elves. I decide to try my hand at the mental challenge, so I can interact with the village in a non-violent manner, and I win!
The health hit is no problem here, because I can pay to have the damage healed immediately (all villages have this option so far).
1Voz8lH.png

vSAdaU8.png

This also means I can now grind elf reputation. I do so on this small island, as every quest I can pick up here is quite close by, making the grinding less of a chore. Also, experience. Need more experience together with better equipment for a certain encounter..
Even though we're on a small island near woodland folk, there's also regular bandits around. Not that they pose any real threat anymore.
Sc6OilZ.png

Remember, that we're doing quests for peace-loving elves, so we choose the paladin option for dealing with the wood demons.
6UzFkut.png

EyTIP6O.png

layNJnz.png

And here I show off the healing they provide.
FRcmVge.png

nVAJMlS.png

Grinding reputation and xp means levelups. baud improves on her gathering skills.
4DE07hc.png

Grinding elven reputation, the peaceful and somewhat dangerous way.
ryo5DGh.png

OXgqLAX.png

NOIZ1ML.png

G6V9u4f.png

MbZy2Fh.png

UQAqemf.png

RWpUOGa.png

nfKFpzT.png

B1e6Lke.png

tEHZqba.png

6W2Jyi5.png

I like the flavour, that the elves appreciate the peaceful solution, the orcs resent it. But I'd wager the orcs would be more annoyed if I killed their kin.
More levelups. Here we also take a closer look at the luck stat.
ypoiH3b.png

KKiZwzE.png

While grinding some more, we get ambushed. Since these are bloodsucking beasts, and they are NOT the ones I was asked by the elves to deal with, I kill them instead of letting them suck our blood.
Who knows, if I'd let them, someone of our crew might turn into a striga, but I choose not to risk it.
4NSJkBw.png

ikSoT3c.png

SzOz94X.png

6f2kiTW.png

Also, it seems there are both wood elves, and shadow elves. This encounter has me dealing with the latter on behalf of the former.
vgc8MZW.png

kUn56Ky.png

6CKzTrc.png

h1mNZLG.png

ihoqm3k.png

Our new gatherer levels up, I choose the gathering proficiency option.
9Yv7HUl.png

Welp, that quest was the last for now, that we could get here.
it31WH0.png

Our explorers are close to being penalized for carrying too much weight, so it's about this time I decide to head back to the village.
Speaking of which, back in the village, Nicebrain levels up and gets a damage-skill for physical challenges.
PtbSxJI.png

Before setting out on ship again, I stumble upon a random encounter with some orc skeletons.
3Jm90uW.png

tI9fYtD.png

Apparently, that is not the orcish custom, as the adventure continues.
oKkks9o.png

OLP9EDz.png

xXV1TPE.png

No rep increase, but no decrease either.
Citizen and our Zerca level up. A turn later, so does our witch.
HYdRfT9.png

hpMiSG9.png

On a second small island near the elf lands, I find a lightbringer village. I decide on ethnic cleansing, magically. Faith damage is easy to heal you see. There is a ritual for it.
Tl54iND.png

yREghOM.png

Ritual not depicted. But it's cheap and easy and regenerates quite a lot of faith, so if you get to choose between different challenges, it pays to pick the purple (magic/faith) one. If you have the resources for the ritual..
Also, Storyfag levels up. I chose the second skill, which lets him deal retaliation damage every time he's hit, and he applies a debuff when he's placed on the board, slowing enemies. Quite useful.
fbLVUiy.png

More lightbringers, this time a wandering group.
xjs3K8L.png

TZf5yPN.png

I take a small lightbringer reputation hit whenever I kill one of those groups, so I don't actively seek them out. I might want to try and improve that reputation later. Perhaps.
Another random encounter. This time we take advantage of having a healer with us, for better results.
Qjq11hb.png

UIB7g1y.png

cbtx4ug.png

ezZCtFv.png

i2aT66g.png

Yet another random adventure. I think this was a reward for a previous encounter..
gNpKSt4.png

lTWsKkM.png

20Ojy9H.png

Our newest gatherer levels up again. It pays to travel with the explorers. The Guard doesn't level nearly as quickly.
vlonfhF.png

KoAOa0v.png

We found another terrain artefact and researched it. Researching these is good for acquiring advancement points.
XAAeAyM.png

Just outside the village, we stumble upon another Monty Python reference..
cco5CaQ.png

lLtbHeq.png

nJa6ILz.png

Qi5IRy3.png

aN4S30c.png

I kind of wanted to shove their faces in, but decided to tell them off instead. Nice loot, and a slight improvement to our rep with the orcs. I'll take that.
Our village demon appreciates it too, as he levels up. And our chosen one just keeps on improving.
q1NCeVh.png

CYbAEty.png

Here's a random encounter where I am tempted into taking a less good option. Game trolls me though, and doesn't let me actually take control of the undead.
wE0uSV9.png

FYBHAwW.png

IYsNuUV.png

kQfgjyZ.png

And then! Grimwulf and Nicebrain have an intimate moment, and the Stork approves!
5nQ2gJ3.png

FOdCxiZ.png

Isn't he cute?
VHQSAId.png

I'll leave this update with yet another round of levelups.
T1aoheT.png

Anyone know how far away the village can help with encounters? I want to make a second group of explorers for one purpose; harvesting rare resources on the main island. But it'd be great if the village and explorer team #2 could support eachother...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Waitaminute. Wasn't Nicebrain's character male? His male magic user trial backfired, turning him undead (btw, is he still a magic user, making him technically a lich?). Thea is indeed a magical place.
He is indeed male, but not a magic user.
Seems the Stork doesn't discriminate. +M

Nicebrain

Educated
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hmm do that rat count as child? If it do, what will it "grow up" into?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom