Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Towns, or I want to be a Human Fortress!

:kfc:

Urist McLurker

Learned

Cairon Journal 3

IktcU.jpg

I, while hospital bound, have started thinking up plans to combat the female menace, while more womenmeatshields have been sent to combat(with a man to make sure they preform correctly)
n7HXP.jpg

Progress is slow but full of winning, even the females aren't failing us.
5jiVh.jpg

Pah, broken nail. Women gonna women.
YbyoG.jpg

More progress is made, Alice seems to be the best meatshield, I equiped her with looted iron leggings as a reward for her service
yExXE.jpg

Clearly the minx is trying to convince me that not all of her kind is evil, but I shall not be bewitched by her!
Though she has convinced me that not all of them are useless plotters.
Of course, she's just a solidier, every army needs grunts and she might not plot, but she does kill!
I shall keep my wise eyes on her.

Watching her..heroic? Maybe that's too far..But it still gave me the idea, what does this town need?
People to clear the dungeon..
kqOjO.jpg

And how do you attract moronic dungeon crawlers and adventurers to your town?
Shops, an Inn, a save point, a quest hub and quest items
This is such a brilliant idea that immigrants showed up! Wonderful.
tq2LE.jpg

Hahah what a numpty. Still, he shall do for now.
mVdvu.jpg

While we do still have an active force down here..
5UHXK.jpg

The 'hero' comes down to 'show the npcs how it's done'
:hmmm: Pray, good sir, teach us your wisdom.
Qw6DP.jpg

Haha what a pansy.
PDaYY.jpg

Damn another one already?
And a third!
vrhzG.jpg

AN AGENT OF THE CONSPIRCY, SHE'S HOT, A ROGUE, HAS A BOW AND IS ATTEMPTING TO TEMPT ME!
SHE SHALL NOT WIN THIS BATTLE
DBHyK.jpg

ANOTHER ONE!
FRcPq.jpg

I return to active duty, clearly being stuck in the hospital surrounded by women was a bad idea; they have their ways..
leEnH.jpg

It's just a small nip. I shall carry on. I demanded another floor to the dungeon dug.
KwROD.jpg

And after Ivarr dealt with some spiders
qTBmx.jpg

She ran past me "Hey foureyes you coming! Heah, of course not! I'll bring you back that quest item in no time"
Apprently I want some goblinite ore, even though I still dennae hae any iron. The evil witch, next thing you know she'll want me to pay her for it!

P52ty.jpg

"YOUR HEAD SHALL BE MINE!" I heard her cry as I left to write this in my journal.
I'm afraid bad news has just reached me
GCDku.jpg

Foul spiders have learnt thine art of war I see. No matter! I shall depart for combat ontop of the hill between them and the settlement!
3iwaM.jpg

Victory, my name is Gregory!
rLOb6.jpg

The air was cool on their faces as they marched up the hill
They could see the horde coming towards them, their leaders' voice echoed across the land..
PwDjT.jpg

MR2pz.jpg
: My friends and meatshields, we may only be five, for half our military is asleep, and the rest unprepared, so we must do against such a horde! I am not scared, and nor should any of you for..
27R3p.jpg

MR2pz.jpg
: here we battle, if we do not, the settlement shall fall. The settlement SHALL NOT FALL!
b0fhk.jpg

MR2pz.jpg
: FOR OUR HOMES, OUR LIVES, FOR OUR TOWN, FOR....SHIT I FORGOT TO NAME THE TOWN!!! Raraggggh!
Though no proper warrior, Gregory Cairon led from the front, and died on the front..
c6gtg.jpg

For they were too many and swarmed him, with nothing to stop the spiders, they knew victory was won when they descented onto the settlement.
OnBNW.jpg

The remaining townfolk fought back, but against such numbers..they stood no chance
tdMB8.jpg

Breaking into the houses of the sleeping townfolk, they made short work of them, many ran for the mines, seeking safety.
ZVCSG.jpg

The heroes tried to stop them, but failed one by one..as the spiders marched onwards..
c91l7.jpg
And followed the townfolk into the mines..
99Nej.jpg

With no where left to run, the townfolk cowarded against the walls, praying to Nux, the God King..
He didn't listen.

But one townfolk, didn't run for the mines..she tried to arm herself..
xCoaR.jpg

C5hF0.jpg

But the spiders were returning, and all was lost..
92Axq.jpg
The spider army reached the ladder, only to find no way up.
"Haha fuck you spiders" they heard from above..
FG561.jpg

For Alianor removed the ladder up before they could return, trapping them in the dungeons..

Diary of Alianor 4/2/1
Oh nux oh nux oh nux I did it!!
Praise be to you!
3ZIb6.jpg

I hid in the bounty forests and returned for equipment to follow the spiders down to the mines, only to hear the cries of my friends as they died...I removed the only way back up.
I don't know why you saved me and not them. Maybe it's punishment, maybe it's for a greater purpose than myself.
2ZsCI.jpg

CoFhf.jpg

S99bK.jpg

There's a lot of food here for just me so at least I won't starve
As well as many cows
qLoQf.jpg

I might be alone.. .. apart from all the bloody cows...but I'll survive.

Soo...
Yeah, that went well. Half of the military, in typical fashion went and fucked off, so I didn't bother putting them as soldiers, one of them that I did make into the military also fucked off to bed, so it was just 4 of them on the hill.
Somehow one of the townfolk survived, I have no idea how, I suspect the Spiders targeted the nearest next target, who then led them down into the dungeons, while Alianor went to harvest in the forest, and then the nearest targets were the rest of the townfolk in the dungeons.

It was a massive fluke to be sure. But there's a choice to be made.
What now? I could either end the town like it should have been in that siege, or keep playing with a single townfolk and see what happens.
SO CODEX, DECIDE:

Get Alianor killed in a blaze of glory like how she should have died but was somehow saved from such a fate, thereby ending the LP.
OR
Keep surviving with just Alianor and see if I can carry on the town and the LP from what remains.

AND ANOTHER CHOICE IF YOU DECIDE ALIANOR SHALL SURVIVE
As you might as noticed, I can add or remove fluids at my whimsy, we can flood the dungeons with water or lava if you so desire, but I don't know what long term harm that might cause, as we will eventually return to the dungeon levels and we might then only discover it to be completely fucking flooded with lava.

FLOOD THE DUNGEON
OR
DON'T FLOOD THE DUNGEON

I'll leave it a day or two for you bunch o' folk to vote before carrying on(or not carrying on)

m4davis

Scholar
Keep going and there is only one right choice drown every spider down there with water so they may die slowly and painfully and also so we can loot there corpse after we clean it up

dextermorgan

Arcane
As a lone survivor it is your duty to bury your brothers and sisters first, then do your best to survive as long as possible on your own.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Since it looks like the town'll be carrying on, what should it be named? I literally only noticed I forgot to name the damn place when I was writing the battle of the hill bit.

See something you fancy naming for some inane reason? DO SO AND IT SHALL BE NAMED AS SUCH. Don't wanna name something? DON'T NAME IT AND IT SHALL BE SO. Being able to refer to places by their names will be easier for me than just 'that hill where that battle happened', or having to come up with the names myself.

Named places: Carrion Hill, Bounty Forest and Town Fakedwarf.

Unnamed places: The dungeon mines, the hill where the fight took place, the lake area above the settlement, the river, and the lands on the other side of the river.

Urist McLurker

Learned
TL;DR: :rpgcodex:
You'll be seeing that a lot in this update.

E5bHn.jpg

When we last left our hero, shit had gone down.
Diary of Alianor 5/2/1
I guess I better bury the dead.
TKjS3.jpg

Good thing there's a hill for the graves, I put some signs down to remind me where to put them.
uo3m1.jpg

The remains have already started causing ghosts to appear.
DFH2U.jpg

( :incline: This is the awesome thing about getting fucked over in this game, not only have you just lost most of your population, the remains constantly cause ghosts to spawn, making it difficult for your now-really-struggling people to bury the dead to stop more ghosts from spawning.
That's right, it's not one ghost per dead body, they just keep on spawning IIRC.)
EX0XG.jpg

(Oh what. :decline: It's barely been a fucking day and we already have immigrants!?)
Thankfully some kind people come to help the settlement rebuild.
TJKCJ.jpg

One of them dies in a fight with the ghost..
qdUAO.jpg

I decide that everyone needs some armour to survive the ghosts, which there are quite a few of..

Diary of Alianor 6/2/1
I take a look at how many ghosts there actually are in the town itself.
kPUkv.jpg

GbXGI.jpg

Three of them in the actual houses..
dD71r.jpg

Forthwind gets into a fight with one of them but because of his armour and weapons
sL3FG.jpg

Survives! Looks like I'm not so bad at this after all. Maybe losing the other townfolk is a good thing, starting again with the town prepared and with a strong leader? Hehe, me a leader.
IvCSr.jpg

Work has gotten started on making bone armour, you can see Forthwind there in his new bone armour, and we're starting on my set.

Diary of Alianor 7/2/1
6I0LX.jpg

The first grave is put up. :salute:
I make a ladder to get down to the lower floor right above the spiders, I was worried that they could climb up but it looks they can't
btxzT.jpg

Not without a ladder, so it's safe to get the stone here for the rest of the graves.
Wp0rw.jpg

I get started on the next grave and have to fight past a ghost, you can see some of my armour is bone, but most of it isn't yet.

Diary of Alianor 8/2/1
BfRel.jpg

I nearly die after fighting the second ghost to get more remains to bury..
vCkMz.jpg

I head for the hospital to heal up, Forthwind can manage without me.
ZBgPw.jpg

Later that day, the rest of the graves are finished, the only ones left to bury are past the spiders in the mines.
giTQZ.jpg

Forthwind comes up with the idea of flooding them.
91ovq.jpg

(... ... ... ... ... ... ...:rpgcodex:I swear the water flooded like classic minecraft water, spreading constantly to fill everything up, making it a huge-ass fucking danger. This is seriously all of the flooding that happened. What the fuck, I mean, it makes sense, but it's lame as fucking fuck.)
Bthiw.jpg

(See all of that water? I had to put half of it in manually, it killed the spiders instantly. :rpgcodex:So. Wait. I can place lava or water as I please which insta-kills whatever it hits, and I can remove it as I please without it doing any harm whatsoever to my town unless I place it _everywhere_?
What. That's like giving you the ability to put and take away lava as you please in DF, since this game is about combat in the dungeons and using the loot from the past levels to take on the next level like a dungeon crawler, having the ability to insta-win any combat is just so overpowered making sure you can't really fuck something up. I hope this is like an alpha thing, it has to be.
At least when the water spreaded, you couldn't use it to save the day as it would fuck your shit up too)
It works swimmingly(hehehe) and the spiders are removed, and the water is drained.
ewu2I.jpg

I'm back to full health and it looks like everything will be okay.
(I'm sorry, but didn't it say she was mortally wounded? And he's back to full health in the same day she took the wounds? :rpgcodex: Just remember..alpha gonna alpha..If it was like, a bruise I'd get ya, but mortally fucking wounded not even keeping a townfolk down for a day? The fuck are these people)

Diary of Alianor 10/2/1
56Zxv.jpg

More immigrants came!
a0QH3.jpg

One of them died though..
YZw9V.jpg

Forthwind finishes off the ghost with some difficulty.
sOvqB.jpg

Food production is going very well, and we've got enough armor to go around.
Diary of Alianor 11/2/1
Frr1n.jpg

Gosh! More immigrants, and not a single one dies this time.

(I'd just like to point out that it's been six days since the whole town got murdered, and we're already back at more than half of the towns' number back then, and we've _lost_ two of the immgrants, and that hasn't stopped them. :decline: Where's my pantsshitting worry about being cluster fucked over? Shit, if it takes a couple weeks to get back to full numbers where you barely even notice the loss of any townfolk in the meantime, where's the danger come from? If there were loads of townfolk and they all shitted out ghosts when they got murdered it might turn into a cluster fuck, but you can handle a ghost in 1v1 as long as you have wood armour, by the time you'd have enough townfolk to make losing them all a threat, you'd have the armour and gear to deal with any and all ghosts. I hate to bitch on an indie at the alpha stage for little shit like this but still, it's pretty stupid.)
Diary of Alianor 18/2/1
SL5cH.jpg

f7taw.jpg

Gosh I must be really good at this. Nux be praised the town is stronger than ever! Food production is working for once, most of us are in bone armour with weapons, we've got fully built houses, a massive forest of food, and ontop a heroes!
p1RIw.jpg

This leads me to opening the way back down to the mines!
QrDyA.jpg

frdXg.jpg

Another hero! I decide to try and expand the wheat farms.
gmXuW.jpg

It starts off slowly of course!
Diary of Alianor 19/2/1
MjL9w.jpg

A hero dies to a ghost which is a shame, but we get a new one!
ufbk8.jpg

He's a dwarf so he wants to live underground but thankfully we have a room down there for him!
( :incline: A dwarf? Fuck yeah.)
PSyJe.jpg

He makes himself right at home!
Qz2Ky.jpg

A ghost is slain by Terryn
I0tKm.jpg

And the first wheat is planted in the new farm.
0a0Dl.jpg

Some of the heroes adventure together, but the dwarf goes off on his own
9A07C.jpg

Exploring the goblin level, maybe he has some kind of vendetta against goblins?
lD9Fw.jpg

Gosh he even wins against a red slime!
SZQ0W.jpg

Remember the farm? We've done a lot more work on it over the course of the day since I wrote that!
But..
OK8lS.jpg

Oh Nux why!?
(Okay, so I decide to test out my theory about the dangers of water here, since this siege came so soon, I decided that I could most likely get away with doing some testing
Since the game is paused, I get to work
qvUmC.jpg

And put water around the spiders.
d5afs.jpg

And then put some water on the square they're on.
oGzUY.jpg

:hmmm: This is what happens. The whole siege is defeated as soon as I unpause. and this is how much damage the water deals to my town. :rpgcodex:)
Praise be to Nux! He saved us! We are his blessed children!
1VJCK.jpg

The heroes keep working on the dungeons and everything is going well!

Diary of Alianor 20/2/1
mQWch.jpg

P9Uh7.jpg

2KAeq.jpg

More ground is made against the dungeons, one of our own gets into a fight with a ghost but survives
Dsr3d.jpg

zcz9U.jpg

One of the heroes took on two ghosts at once, but decided he was hungry instead!
VduRh.jpg

And led the ghosts back up to us!!
9Z9jA.jpg

OMNPk.jpg

RfCGo.jpg

Me and Leofrick handle the ghosts.
2blau.jpg

But there's a lot more ghosts to go..
wfAmz.jpg

But in honor of the fallen, I planted a tree of life. I think we're going to be okay.

(Okay, so. It felt like losing the _entire town_ par from _one townfolk_ was completely and utterly meaningless, nothing on long-term damage remotely happened, if anything it made the town stronger and easier to run while the immigrants slowly came, it didn't feel like I lost my town horribly, it felt like I lost a load of dead weight so I could focus my efforts more on what needed to be done.

Just. I mean, shit, in the DF bloodline game I took the year where shit went down horribly, and I had to do everything in my power to survive, changing the entire gameplay of the fortress just to not die. Here I did fuck all but unpause. It felt so empty, and meaningless.)

Urist McLurker

Learned
It's been named Fakedwarf, which while not as fitting for the moment as Tumbleweed, well, you'll see in about 10 minutes when I finish the update.

m4davis

Scholar
wow it was the exact opposite of what I was worried about we need to put some self imposed restrictions on randomly flooding everything

Urist McLurker

Learned
Alright, all three backups for the saves of Towns have somehow managed to fail, and I've basically lost the saves as well as everything else I've backed up.

If you guys want me to, I can start another town up and go from there on this same thread(We didn't really get to do some proper dungeonin' and I've got a better idea of wtf I'm doing if I start a new town), if not I'll count this LP as abandoned before page 3(though only just!).

I'll most likely start another LP of some random shit if this one is abandoned.

Urist McLurker

Learned
The recovery time felt like a punch in the gut, after all of the effort I went through to keep the damn townfolk alive and not starving, and if they die this is all that happens? I wait a week and I've got even more than I started with? Shit, it would be more productive to let them starve then spend all that time on food production.

It's an alpha thing I'm sure, but still.

m4davis

Scholar
Please do another one also sadly towns hasn't figured out that you should give them huge migrant waves when they have everything set up and to give them tiny ones when theres only one survivor.

Urist McLurker

Learned
:M Due to a massive and impressive cock up by me, I've managed to lose the saves again, as such I shall be restarting once more. Oh and there's been an update which could have done it anyway. That's my excuse.

Urist McLurker

Learned
When I started Towns up and was on the screen to pick which locale to choose, I attempted to move the window into a more pleasing place, and somehow hit one of the maps to choose, which turned out to be Jungle. So we're living in the jungle.

Quick update to cover a few things, I'll be giving a few choices at the end so prepare yourselves.
k7exc.png

Before I even managed to pause, some of the townfolk were already about to face off with a froggy.
XGZBk.png

Looks like this is the froggies home.
vn9Yf.png

Oh and then there's these Brownies folk. There's a lot of them near the froggy camp.
This is a very dangerous jungle indeed.
uLKbX.png

There's a lot of coal, but that's useless without any iron. And there isn't any iron on level directly under us. Might be some two levels down from us though, but we'd have to do a lot of mining to try and uncover it.
t8vi0.png

There's Bananas, Blue Radish, Skootenbeeten and Green Mushrooms as food sources in the jungle. There's no wheat from what I could find.
Banana and Blue Radishes both take the same time to eat and fill the same.
JBzbo.png

However, both can be mixed into creating a jungle salad.
56n9Q.png

The mushrooms can be made into mushroom soup, but we need iron for that.
8auiS.png

We can bake the bananas, but for that to be a longterm food source we will need iron, but it's possible without iron, of course there would be the non-baked bananas in the meantime.

Reason I'm informing you lot about this is because there seems to be a very few clear different things we can do here, on the mountain map it was very limiting, and the one before it I had no idea what I could give at choices, but here I can.

So, choices, (forgive me for how many there are given that no one few will vote, but there's a lot of things we can aim for):

First thing, the possible living area of the townfolk:
1. Start building underground, it's defensible, it's quick, it's cheap.
2. Focus on a defensible town above ground, we're humans damnnit, not dwarves.
3. Build a normal town above ground, this'll be a less restricting than both other options, but more dangerous.

Second thing, long-term goals:
1. Focus on finding iron, we need it to expand properly, to defend ourselves, and feed ourselves properly.
2. Murdering the hostiles. We're going to do what we humans do best; genocide against the locals. Victory at all costs!
3. Happiness of the townfolk, getting into battles and fights will lower the happiness of our population and it won't expand if we all get murdered. We'll defend ourselves, but focus on the well-fare of the townfolk.
4. Megaproject! What kind of megaproject? I've got no goddamn idea, but give a suggestion if you've got one.
Of note about this choice: We might not find any iron at all. Happiness of the townfolk is kinda subjective, but the merrier we are, the more we get. Deaths and lack of food make people upset.

Third thing, military:
1. Some kind of Militia? Attempt to give everyone armour and weapons; we're surrounded by threats and we need every man and woman to fight.
2. Arm the townfolk, but focus on a select nonfull-time military with the armour and the best weapons.
3. Have a very select full-time military of the best warriors with the best of the best gear to face all threats.
Of note about this choice: Armour is expensive to create, we'll need a lot of bones or wood to arm everyone.

Finally, food production:
1. Pour our efforts into quantity, not quality, the banana groves shall spread across the jungle! And once we have the means to bake them, we'll have quality too! Ontop of that, they can be cut down for wood when we need it!
2. Quality over quantity, salads for everyone!
3. Do whatever until we have iron, then we can have the best of the best, the Skootenbeeten shall be roasted and the mushrooms shall be souped!
4. Attempt to have our cake and eat it too! Banana, blue radishes, salads, baked bananas, meat and soup shall be ours to munch upon.

Some of the choices mix well with eachother, others not so much. I'll put in a LARP reason for the choices and the first proper update, as well as introducing the characters/townfolk. I'll be attempting to focus much more on the characters, I have learnt that the world shall not give us our storyline, the characters must do so.

m4davis

Scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom