Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Towns, or I want to be a Human Fortress!

Ashery

Prophet

Urist McLurker

Learned
Managed to knee and crash my PC while I was playing for the next update, fucking over my Towns LP seems to becoming a tradition of mine.
I'll be playing again tomorrow/later today, and it's 2131 for the voting, iron, bananas, dedicated military, and a proper town that isn't begging to be destroyed. Which will be easier to do 'cause there's now traps in Towns.

Urist McLurker

Learned
RLKSa.png

"Bryce my boy, don't let Catty die damnnit." Several of the townfolk rush to deal with the Frogman, led by Duke Halacre
gRcJg.png

Though the old Duke attempted to avoid the combat, leading from the back, it sometimes couldn't be avoided. Frogmen are everywhere.
FnGZX.png

Peter Le Cordier, Juliana Sept, and Leonie have been commanded to become the military to fight the hordes of frogmen, being the most powerful, strongest, and skillful fighters.
YVyfC.png

Duke Halacre and his son Bryce command over the new hamlet. Catherine de Baileul the aide, or should that be the late aide to the Duke came here with those two..
l0FwH.png

The three of them recruited us, the Duke was tired of others failing, he's always been known for being..hands on. I wish I had gotten to know him better.
The first day, it was a flurry of activity, but one we all know well. Chop the trees and plant the food, same as everywhere else. The next day, I remember how he stood, he didn't cry. I thought they were married until then, the young woman and the old rich man. I never did ask about Bryce.
GxmLN.png

But the Duke didn't come here just for the land, spreading into the lands of the frogmen and brownies, merely so he could? No, he always wanted what the jungle could offer. Bananas weren't cheap, and the birds, they sold for a lot.
I like to think he didn't trust anyone else to do this job. The prices on those animals and fruit were just too high.
cxozw.png

I spent most of the first couple of days planting banana trees, picking up roots, and cutting trees down. He made us till land for just barely one blue radish and green mushroom. He said he wanted to make sure they survived in the jungle. Why I could never work out.
pQPuU.png

Leonie died and another person was moved to the military. We spent the rest of the day underground, searching for flint. The old Duke watched us work all day. He didn't do anything after Catherine died.
s3sGV.png

Not until he got a new aide. Why Bryce didn't do it, I don't know. We needed the flint for cooking. Cooking those bananas. We were there to gather them, to create a trading town, just for the bananas. But we could still have them. There was no rush to get the town up and running. Bryce shouted about cooking the bananas constantly, baking them. Just like how his mother used to.
gpqvC.png

The graves were set and dug for Catherine and Leonie. We should have all been there, gathering around them in respect.
Maybe, not for them, but for all the ones that would die, when we wouldn't have the chance to give any respect.
ZTLx9.png

Fires were sparked into life, and food production was already going. How long the fires would last, we didn't know. But we had a lot of flint to use.
150ES.png

And the birds were fenced and bred very quickly. The banana groves are expanding rapidly, surprisingly quickly. The Duke knew what he was doing.
GYViT.png

The military already started making demands, bone armor. I tried to convince them it wouldn't work, and it didn't. The birds couldn't be harvested for bones, they needed to be killed specially, something no one wasn't sure how to do.
0f66M.png

It made the kitchen look impressive, and it allowed some of the birds to be killed and cooked, but the Duke loved his birds.
YVvLz.png

Only one was cooked.
j6DsS.png

More fighting, always fighting, the Duke was wounded, and a hospital was designated by Bryce.
m6Oot.png

He rambled all day long, the new military was earning its keep.
res3K.png

He was up and about as soon as possible, limping to the birds, he stared. All night.
joGa0.png

It took until morning until they were convinced about the bones.
vjlRF.png

The spears were gathered from the frogmen, the bushes were gathered for the farms, the jungle trees were being farmed for dedicated wood.
zEtFA.png

Baked Bananas. We had them by day four and we would never run out of them.

Surprisingly quick on everything, I don't think this is the patch, more that I know what the fuck I'm doing. Searching for iron is next, I skipped most of the basic gathering stuff for this update since we've been over it before. Gotta make the town more defensible too.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I've got about 3-5 updates lined up for this, but for some reason I just haven't been able to go get up and actually update it, had them done before I even did this last update and I don't know what it is, I just haven't dragged myself to update it.

When I've finally done the final update for the worms reloaded thing(update attempt 6 currently ongoing! Woo! Go me.), I'll make sure to update Towns.

Urist McLurker

Learned

10.png

The mining started, the Duke told us that we'd mine the width, the breadth! Of the area. Until the river.
To say we were excited about this.. Hrm. It seemed crazy to us.
11.png

Yet again Halacre got stuck into the work personally.
12.png

Coal was uncovered and the series of tunnels grew and grew, eventually to criss-cross the local area.
13.png

The frogmen..They aren't smart in groups or on their own. A few of started to enter our lands, we were getting worried, but the Duke announced calmly and clearly that they wouldn't mount a proper attack on us.
14.png

Juliana was sent to deal with any Frogmen that got into our encampment, but we were still worried, again the Duke announced that there wasn't anything to worry about. We didn't believe him, only Bryce did.
15.png

Things were expanding rapidly, we might not have been sure on our directly, but we all knew wherever the minecart was taking us, it was taking there as fast as it could.
16.png

Copper was found and I remember wanting to stop mining because copper was good enough for tools and weapons, The Duke laughed and told us all it was for magic.
Magic?
17.png

Magic's not something any of us knew about. We knew we had the bananas baked, the trees farmed, and the birds bred.
And that we needed to mine. A lot of mining.
18.png

18.png

19.png

The Duke finally agreed that perhaps there was too many Skootenbeetens about, that we could spare a few.
They were to be cooked, to supplement the bananas. We were up and cooking earlier than even the Duke expected, so we convinced him that expanding the food choice slightly was a good idea
20.png

We weren't going to starve, that's for sure.
21.png

Slowly the Skootens were to be thinned for now, there were a lot of them and without the ability to deport them, it was pointless to have them getting in the way needlessly.
22.png

Areas for rooms were set out, and the masonry was expanded do cope with the wall workload that was to come later; the mines gave us all the stone we needed.
23.png

The wood was farmed easily, the tree farm gave us a lot of wood.
24.png

Fires had to be relit after a while, I was surprised that they lasted so long. Bryce seemed concerned that didn't last longer..
25.png

More tree farmland was set up...
26.png

...the jungle was too dangerous still to be the source of wood.
27.png

The Duke Halacre Hospital saw a lot of use in those early days.
28.png

Immigrants came.
Immigrants here? So soon? The Duke announced it to us one afternoon, a letter had came, informing us that they were coming. After he read it out, he looked directly at me "Lad, dig some graves."
29.png

They walked right into the Brownie encampments, without the Duke to guide them around such pitfalls, it was a slaughter.
30.png

I've been through many horrible experiences here, but I'll never forget the first time I heard screams piece through the jungle. Juliana ran out of the camp towards them, none of us could stop her.
31.png

The screams would stop suddenly.. and start again later.
32.png

33.png

Alianor chased after Juliana and died in the jungle. It would be a very long time until we recovered the body.
34.png

Juliana made it there, that much we know. She didn't make it in time.
35.png

She was on her way back, I know she was.
36.png

She must have killed at least 5 of them frogmen on her own
37.png

All she had was one spear.
38.png

Juliana wanted to save lives but she died needlessly and Alianor died because of her. Was it heroic, what they did? Stupid? There's no difference between bravery and stupidity here.
39.png

It was decided that we'd all be given a mace, we lost the small military and the Duke wasn't going to risk lives needlessly.
40.png

Only the Duke managed to sleep that night. We made maces all night long.
41.png

The Duke kept talking about how the Brownies had magic, wands of fire. He told us all we needed magic to fight them.
We didn't even have iron and he wanted to do the impossible? Ha..
42.png

The people weren't armed in time, another one died.
43.png

44.png

We all knew what we needed to do.
More Bananas. Maybe the old man was eating his sorrows away, a lot of deaths so quickly must have done him no good.
45.png

Weapons and Bananas.
And the mining. That was life then.
46.png

Bryce was the first to test out the new weaponry, and it worked. Very well.
47.png

The party we had afterwards, after his victory, made a small change away from the endless mining. We were going to find iron one way or another.
48.png

After the Duke saw one of the skootens sitting on his baked banana breakfast meal after looking away for a moment, it was finally decided to cut down on the animals.
49.png

Iron, iron was found. Not enough though, but it was believed that more would be on the next level, enough to handle a mine.
50.png

Suddenly, everyone wanted to pick up the pickaxe and mine, all of the other mining orders were unnecessary, only the iron mattered. It was an iron rush.
51.png

We had enough iron for a few mineshafts.
52.png

Torches had to be made for it, though.
53.png

Even with the focus on mining, the bananas, just kept on coming. The Duke ordered even more of them to be baked, we had so many and only 6 to feed as it was.
54.png

We checked the area around the iron just to be safe. We had to go down.
55.png

Because we had enough for two mineshafts, the first one was decided to be coal for more torches.
56.png

Area was set apart for stone, we still needed more. The Skootenbeetens started spreading, as well.
57.png

The Mineshaft was impressive to look at once it was done.
58.png

The next layer was breached, and there was enough space for an iron mine there.
59.png

On top of that, the first of the walls were made, and a stone spear was discovered, local frogman legend was later discovered. The spear had been used in the froggy-tiger wars; stabbed through the eye of the last tiger to ensure their a frogman victory.
60.png

Peter Le Cordier took the spear as his own.
61.png

The first coal had been mined, a sign of great things to come.
63.png

Ghosts, I never thought they were real. Seems like a silly thing not to believe in, those corpses were a gateway into the other realm, and the ghosts, they started to flood through...
64.png

The ladder was set up and it was time.
65.png

Food was never going to be a worry again; there wasn't a single thing holding us back.
66.png

Juliana Sept was the first down. I knew spiders grew big underground, but until you see them up close..You simply don't get what they mean by 'giant'.
67.png

Peter 'The Tiger' Le Cordier fought the spiders while we set up shop.
68.png

Helmet made from dragon bone? Aw man, aw yeah :balance:
69.png

Slimes, I'll always hate slimes with a passion and it started here.
70.png

71.png

72.png

The site was set up and finished in due course.
73.png

Bryce was assuring us that the iron mine would give us as much iron as the coal mine gave. Him and the Duke worked on them both personally, but it was Bryce's baby.
74.png

It only took 16 days to secure iron and perfect the food production.
75.png

Peter took the spoils of war, it was a good thing too.
76.png

The dungeon was discovered, the spiders would be angry.
77.png

Area was set aside for the iron we would be hopefully getting.
78.png

79.png

More of the Dungeon was being uncovered, and Peter charged right in there, I heard him yelling about how he was simply the best around; the dungeon couldn't harm him.
80.png

The dungeon had different ideas.
81.png

Somehow he survived. Barely survived.
82.png

The first iron was collected from the mine.

Things are going too well for my liking to be honest. Not a struggle so much as it just waiting, despite some hiccups.
Gave up on updating my other LP after it dun goofed again and switched to Photobucket(? I think) for doing this update. Hopefully that won't be shitty for me.

We've got food, we've got iron, just got to make the town defensible, and you might notice the start of that in the last screenshot. :smug:

After that, we need to start killing enemies, if immigrants keep running right into them I don't see how we're going to get anywhere..

Urist McLurker

Learned
001.png

As the supply of iron starts to trickle in, the question of what to do with the leftover iron arose quickly.
002.png

The Duke pointed towards the copper, claiming it was the key to magic. I remember hearing someone complaining at the time, after spending so much time getting iron, he claims that it was copper that's the key?
003.png

For now, however, the iron was required for an anvil to start a forge.
004.png

A good thing too, the basic salvaged armour wasn't doing its job in keeping Peter safe. With a forge, we knew we could improve what little army we had left at that time..
005.png

The Duke decided that the area around the iron mine needed to be kept clear, and in sight from the ladder.
006.png

Holes were dug into the ground near the iron mine, Bryce came up with the idea. He believed that, like the copper, the iron would not open into a cave, but rather the walls of a cave, from which another safe mineshaft could be constructed.
007.png

008.png

009.png

The required items and iron were gained, and the anvil was constructed.
010.png

Anastas started to complain about the banana production; it was really taking off.
012.png

The plan of Bryce started to pay off, not only did the Duke believe in his plan, the rest of us did
013.png

Now a stove could be constructed with ease, then armour for Peter..But then? Heh, I remember all the ideas we had. Paving the roads with iron was one that was suggestion.
We didn't even have roads.
014.png

But what we did have was a bridge, and a moat of water. One way in and out of the town, and it was that bridge.
015.png

It was clear that there was enough room there to create at least another mine without disturbing the dungeon level below.
016.png

The first trap was made, spikes on the ground made out of simple wood. Some of the skootenbeeten came across it and a strange thing happened: It did not harm the skooten, but rather, slowed it for a time.
We wondered what effects the other traps would have..
017.png

But the time for experimenting wasn't now, a stove had to be built to streamline the kitchen.
018.png

Though the iron had ran out for the time, it was only a matter of time until more was unearthed.
019.png

020.png

The iron came at the same time the hospital was completed, a blue roof to signal out the medical nature of the place.
021.png

022.png

With the stoves complete, banana production truly exploded...
023.png

And so did the population.
024.png

Unsurprisingly they came from enemy lands.
025.png

Peter was sent to help them straight away.
026.png

But it looked like, for once, an immigrants would live.
027.png

And luckily for us, Donald had knowledge of magic and with Bryce and the Duke, constructed an ITE smithy.
028.png

A new jungle tree farm was created, we needed the wood for more wooden traps.
029.png

A side effect of the new moat was uncovered. The Skootens could not wander out of the town anymore, but were instead trapped within the town..
030.png

Peter came up with the idea, I remember that. Using the skootens as test dummies for the new traps that were going to be made. It did a lot more than that for us in the longrun though.
031.png

The first harvest from the tree farm proved to be bountiful, though it wouldn't last for more than a week..
032.png

The first red roofs were popping up, the rooms were being completed slowly. The Duke was concerned about how much space was required for just one person, I argued that we needed more space, more than one room, proper housing. He didn't speak to me for a week. Bryce didn't speak to me again until Halacre's death.
033.png

The first Bear Trap, made purely from Iron, was built.
034.png

By the next day? Hah, we had two more. It wasn't much, but it was a start.
035.png

Soon the full extent of the bear trap's ability was found by the skootens. A small stun and bleeding, combined with the spikes made for a reasonable stun.
036.png

More immigrants. More deaths.
The early days were very dark, and the ghosts were very bright..
036.png

None of them survived.
But history repeated itself, sadly..
038.png

Before we knew what had happened, Peter was already halfway to the site.
039.png

Into the very heart of Froggy controlled land he charged. Recklessly, without any support..
040.png

041.png

Surprisingly, he managed to escape them.
We knew he went to the dead immigrants.
042.png

And he started to return home.
043.png

Bones were mysteriously found by the traps, we were too worried about Peter to notice what this meant for us at the time.
044.png

When we finally reached it, we found out where his body was left. Halfway back home, he stumbled onto a Froggy, nearly dead, Peter attempted to fight.
045.png

When he didn't return back that night, we knew what had happened to him.
046.png

We named the ITE smithy in his honour, once it was complete.
047.png

With this, new, better armour, could be made.
048.png

There wasn't enough skootens to test the traps, so more were caged and bred nearby the traps.
It was the beginning of our defensive knowledge, something Peter didn't live to see..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom