Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Night Empire

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys guys, it's practically a narrative law that after a cliffhanger like that he's alive. We just need to decide if he's worth saving or not. I doubt the explosion could have taken out all his bodyguards, so either he's fine or he's dead (because a sabbat war party was watching and pounced on his flaming ass) or kidnapped him into a van somewhere. Nothing much we can do about that except follow if he was taken and even that would probably take supernatural tracking abilities (though the burning flesh smell might be a hint for vampires).

Basically while following the likely rabble that attacked the club would probably be easier, if our dear college was kidnapped, i expect a higher class of vampire pack to do it so it might lead to a juicier target or might 'just' be a 'touch target' stuff.

Don't send Cripps out to do 2 jobs. Fuck why did Vogler have to fucking disappear now, he's a fucking gangrel he can probably track dust. He probably already knows where the pack is.

Esquilax

Arcane
This is what I think we should do:

I - Phone Cripps and tell him to scout Tucov's residence, then the Taurien Club. Send Eddie to gather the team and head for a meeting place on the outskirts of London (not Witanhurst, not the Palace, not any place known to the Sabbat). Ask Grocyn if the Tremere can spare any firepower to add to your team (some mages or shit). Then head for the meeting place, link up with Eddie and wait for Cripps's report.

Then we decide what to do next.

That's the same thing as B + (P) Cripps, which is what we've currently got. The meeting place you describe is Sussex Airfield. Cripps can't be everywhere at once, so in my mind it's either follow the Sabbat attacking the Taurien club back to their hiding place or scout out Turcov's penthouse. By the time Cripps gets to the Taurien Club after Turcov's penthouse, the Barons will all be dead/captured and the Sabbat will be gone. Likewise, you can't exactly go to Turcov's penthouse after the Taurien Club because finding out where the Sabbat pack that staged the attack resides is going will take a lot of time and it might be close to sunrise at that point.

Point is, you can't have both. The question is what's more important you: scouting out a target tonight and potentially saving the Ventrue Barons if they're captured, or saving Turcov and using the ghouls another day?

That's why I proposed nabbing Turcov and then heading to Sussex once we have him, either tonight if there's time or tomorrow. That way we get Turcov and we get info on the situation at the Taurien Club. Turcov will be a good boy and follow our lead once we get to Sussex because we have our ghoul squad there and everyone in town thinks that he is dead, so he would be at our mercy. Sure, we lose some initiative on briefing the ghoul squad tomorrow, but this at least guarantees that we stabilize the situation and have someone to work with. It also makes finding a target likelier. It's better in the long-term.

I'd be down for fighting at the Taurien Club directly if it weren't so dangerous. If there were Eddie, Cripps and Vogler, I would vote for it, but since it's only our two bodyguards against probably a very fucking tough Sabbat pack, I'd say the chances are slim. Since Turcov is only one Baron, I would expect there to be less hostiles coming after him. Turcov's penthouse is also in the heart of Camarilla territory IIRC, so Turcov is probably better defended than the Barons at the Taurien Club.

Edit: Remember that Connaught gave all Camarilla vampires in London a time limit of 48 hours to leave the city. That gives us two nights to push back the Sabbat. In my mind that means using tonight just to plan our next move, find info, stabilize the situation by rescuing Turcov, etc. and tomorrow night to prepare a brutal counterattack on the Sabbat with all the info we've obtained.

Still, I guess I'm OK with the current B + (P) Cripps to recon the Taurien Club + tell Grocyn to have Shaul Artzi contact us and coordinate a plan of attack tomorrow, though I would of course prefer G + (P) Cripps. I really want to see what happens next. Honestly, I would rather get to the next update with the plan that we currently have in place, which I think is adequate. Don't want to scheme any more.

Esquilax

Arcane
I wanted a place closer to Camarilla territory, somewhere in the actual city. But anyway, we need to save Turcov. Let's do this, people!

Depends on what you want to do. If you vote B, saving Turcov is a bad idea because then we still don't have a Sabbat target for the ghouls to assault come morning, so going to Sussex is pointless. Getting Cripps to scout out the Taurien Club is the smart thing to do if you vote B.* If you vote G, you can get both Turcov and a lead on a Sabbat target hopefully, but you have to postpone attacking the Sabbat until the next night, 24 hours before the Archbishop's offer of clemency to the Camarilla is rescinded.

* Not to mention, getting Cripps to rescue Turcov might be unrealistic. Where would he take him? What would he do once he found Turcov?

Anyways, I'd rather just continue with the B + (P) Cripps to recon the Taurien Club that we've already got and get to the action. At this point, B is a lock anyways so any debates/wacky scheming we do is just mental masturbation strictly academic.

Gondolin

Arcane
I don't want Cripps to save Turcov. I want him to give us info on the situation at Turcov's place and we'll decide what to do next. But I also want Tony, Eddie and the strike team to be in London, ready to intervene and to contact any Kindred we might run into. Preferably personally. I know that Tony is not the fighting type, but I like to lead from the front. Plus, I can see in my head Tony stepping brave and dignified through what used to be door and over the remains of Sabbat fighters, with his ghoul squad fanning to cover the room and Eddie covering his back, like a boss. And it's awesome.
:yeah:

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
meh, got bored, close enough to a gadfly with cliche eyes and a bush, id hit it
8wSpG.jpg
(NSFW)

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
storyfaggot said:
Come to think of it, the mosquito lady is most intriguing. Normally, the only Vampires with bug affinity would be Baali, but that would rule out her cooperation with Connaught (who seemed pleased when he heard the buzz of her mosquitos in the previous update).

Baali usually pose as upstanding members of either the Camarilla, Sabbat, or both, depending on who controls the city. Contrary to popular belief, they do not pose as Caitiff -- Caitiff are distrusted enough on general principle alone. Instead, they are far more devious, hiding behind a mask of blood passed down through millennia: they pose as Tremere.

:rpgcodex:

Whatever sect they belong to, however, the Baali are united in their cause. Their eventual goal is to turn both the Camarilla and the Sabbat to their infernal masters -- and if that doesn't work, to destroy them. Indeed, many Sabbat-Camarilla conflicts can be attributed to the machinations of Baali on both sides, destroying those who oppose them while garnering greater influence and power. After all, power is the name of the game.

grotsnik

Arcane
Hopefully I'll get the meat of it done tomorrow. Been busy succumbing to dubious national pride and sitting in the sun madly cheering on athletes participating in sports I don't understand and other such similar shit.

grotsnik

Arcane
Almost there. So close. It has car crashes and everything. It turns out it's really fucking hard to write car crashes.

And then...sleep.

grotsnik

Arcane
Right! Sorry about that. Here we go.

With Stout Hearts

The Archon of the Camarilla known as Iacomo has managed to stay alive, frequently in the face of those who would much rather he died, for - when he comes to think of it - quite a considerable length of time.

And so, as he barrels back down the darkened motorway towards London in the rather pleasant car acquired from Baron Turcov, he instantly takes note of the Range Rover that pulls out of the lay-by, lights dimmed, and begins to tail him at a discreet distance.

In fact, it’s really all too simple to wait until the tail has crept up to him, press his foot against the accelerator, as if spooked by the pursuer, building the car’s speed to eighty, ninety miles an hour, the tall floodlights and fields flashing by, watching the Range Rover accelerate to come level with him, a single figure in the passenger window raising a shotgun, before turning, full-speed, off onto the hidden turning, as his pursuer skids helplessly on down the motorway.

It’s a shame, then, that he doesn’t spot the second car waiting for him in the turning, that pulls out just in time for him to ram into it, ninety miles an hour, sending his car tumbling out over the crash barrier and down into darkness.

Rolling, perilously fast, over and over; hedgerow and scrub thrashes against the windscreen - the glass cracks.
And then the car lands, rocking, once, twice, on its wheels.

Iacomo coughs, and blinks. The airbag, late and useless, explodes in his face and he has to burst it with his nails before he can force his seatbelt loose, scrabble for the handgun in his glove compartment, and, kicking the battered door open, stumbles out.
Ahead, across soggy, darkened fields, ghostly white wind-turbines are spinning.

Iacomo glances once behind him, up to the curve of the road. Headlights; the slam of a car door. Laughter. And, for an instant, a silhouette crosses the dazzling, blinding beam of light.
He aims his handgun up towards the shadow, fires twice, and runs.

Behind him, someone cries out; shots crack out after him.

Iacomo makes it to the hedgerow, plunges through it into the field on the other side, and ducks down to get a better look at his pursuers.

As his eyes accustom themselves to the brightness of the headlights, he begins to make the figures out; one, two, three. One of them, stood on the edge of the road, calls out, hands cupped to their mouth,

‘Camarilla! Hey, Camarilla!’

Iacomo, quite calmly, turns away from the speaker to try and get a better view of his surroundings.

The field’s long, and wide; plenty of open ground to cover. Beyond the tall wind-turbines on the rise of the far slope, there’s a copse of some kind, and a low building that might be a farm or storage facility. It’s a long way to run.

‘Camarilla, c’mon! You know we’ll sniff you out! Come out and talk to us!’

Calling for help from inside London would, Iacomo estimates, be a waste of time; it’d take them far too long to reach him. It might, just might be worth contacting the Prince of Oxford, if only he can make it to the farm and hold them off for long enough...
Iacomo reaches for his phone - the screen is cracked but, miraculously, it still appears to be working - and begins to type with his one free hand.

‘Camar- fuck it. Anton, bring out the Mouth!’
Iacomo stops typing.

The Range Rover boot slams. One of the Sabbat emerges, stumbling, being dragged along behind the leash of something snarling and monstrous.

The enormous Nosferatu pads along on all fours, its face hideously extended and contorted to fit its yawning, colossal maw of fangs. The sinewy muscles of its arms and legs glisten and balloon as it sniffs the air, and tenses.

‘This,’ Iacomo murmurs, to nobody in particular, ‘could complicate matters.’

The Mouth shrieks, to the open air, braying spittle upwards, and darts forward; its handler slips in the mud, its hands caught around the Kindred’s chain, dragged helplessly after it.

Iacomo pushes himself up onto his feet, and dashes onwards across the field. Moments later, a thrash of foliage, patter of legs, and yelp of pain indicates that the Nosferatu and its unwilling passenger have cleared the hedgerow.

The wind-turbines are approaching, fast; their steady hum has become a roar.

The Archon, dropping his phone, reaches inside his pocket for the small flashing device retrieved from the hunters’ treasure trove. It is, he estimates, filled to the brim with shards of mistletoe bark, rose-laurel, and most likely something highly inflammable. What’s inside will have been designed to kill or incapacitate any Kindred, regardless of their powers of fortitude.
Still, he reasons, there’s a time for everything.

The pounding of the Mouth’s feet is almost upon him.

Iacomo turns, throwing his own weight backwards, and tosses the device towards the slavering Nosferatu at the very moment it leaps, tossing its handler high up into the air behind it.

The Archon braces.

And it’s the blast of impossibly bright light, rather than the intense heat of the explosion, or the countless splinters of wood that spear deep into his flesh, his body and blood straining to hold them back, that sends him flying backwards, down into the mud, as the Mouth, howling in agony as the hissing, sizzling-hot liquid ignites against its flesh and fur, goes tumbling over him, crunching into the ground, limbs askew.

Iacomo moans, softly, from the mud. The little Hod splinters are gently popping back out, like rising hairs, from the flesh of his chest, a bubble of precious vitae frothing up behind each one.
'Affanculo...'
A length of broken chain rattles and bounces against the soil somewhere near his left shoulder. It’s followed momentarily by the trailing remains of a former member of the Sabbat, which land with a rather nasty splat of guts.

Iacomo attempts, his fingers straining feebly through the earth, to get to his feet.
Somebody says,
‘Uh-uh-uh.’
The barrel of a shotgun is pressed against the side of his head. He freezes.

‘Fucking hell,’ the Sabbat says, from somewhere above Iacomo’s ear, struggling to make himself heard over the noise of the turbines, ‘Fucking hell, he’s a tough one. What was that? Napalm?’

The second Sabbat, a bearded Brujah clutching what appears to be a flamethrower, steps into view. He gives Iacomo a vaguely frightened look, and shrugs.

‘Charlie,’ the first Sabbat shouts, ‘See if the Mouth’s still with us.’
The Brujah nods, and strolls past Iacomo.
‘Mouth’s gone, Sammy,’ he calls back, after a moment.

‘Fuck’s sake. All right, tell Tara to bring the car down. We’ll stake this cunt and take him back to Connaught.’

There’s strength left in me, Iacomo thinks. A little strength. Let’s hope it’s enough. And I can be damned sure I will not let them take me.

Charlie turns, and waves up towards the distant roadside. The Range Rover flashes its headlights, once, and begins to trundle down the hill towards them.

‘What the hell’s she doing?’ the Sabbat snaps. ‘Fucking idiot, she’s going to go straight through the hedgerow - there’s a gate around to the right, moron!’

The Range Rover’s speed picks up. It’s driving hard now, accelerating directly towards them, and it smashes a path through the hedgerow without so much as a pause.

Charlie’s mouth goes slightly open.
‘I’m not so sure,’ he says, indistinctly, ‘that’s Tara driving after all.’

The jeep careens up the side of the hill, horn blaring, surging up towards Charlie, who lets off a single, terrified blast of flame in its direction for turning and dashing towards the spinning turbines.
‘Wait,’ Sammy’s yelling, ‘hold on, what-’

Iacomo throws his arms up, knocking the shotgun up out of his hands; it goes off, spraying buckshot into the air, and the Archon launches himself at his enemy, thudding punches down on the antitribu’s face, trying to keep him confused, trying to stop him from gaining the advantage, and as the Sabbat begins to panic his mind weakens and the blood loses a little of its power and Iacomo says,
‘Stop.’

Sammy stops, his face filling with sudden confusion, and it’s just long enough for Iacomo to fall back down onto his back in the mud, snatch up the discarded shotgun, and blow his opponent’s head very nearly cleanly off.

Charlie screams; the Range Rover hits him at full-speed, dragging him along beneath its front wheels, and crashes into the nearest turbine. The colossal structure groans, blades spinning slowly to a halt, and begins to creak perilously backwards.

Iacomo watches, rather unsteadily, as a figure steps out from the driver’s seat, crosses to the fallen vampire, who’s trying without success to extricate his mangled leg from beneath the car’s front wheel, and begins to pummel him, repeating enthusiastically, like a sort of grim mantra,

‘Fucking cunt - fucking cunt - fucking cunt-’

Eventually, apparently tiring of this, it removes a wooden stake from beneath its trailing leather jacket and thrusts it deep into Charlie’s chest.

Iacomo, tossing the shotgun to one side, tries to get up, and slips back into the mud. The figure turns; he catches a slight, bleary glimpse of a hideously scarred face and an unpleasant scowl.

‘Fucking alive, are you?’ she asks.

Iacomo manages,
‘Are you...are you...are you with us?’

The vampire shrugs, as if that isn't particular important.

‘I’m with the Gangrel,’ she says. ‘We’ve been keeping an eye on these Sabbat cunts for a while now - think they’ve taken in a certain antitribu we’re very interested in getting our hands on. Thought this might be her showing her face tonight, no such luck. Just a sewer rat on steroids and a couple of dumb pricks playing with fire.’

She kicks the unconscious Sabbat hard in the crotch, to no apparent purpose than her own satisfaction.

Iacomo shakes his head, trying to clear it.
‘We need to contact London,’ he murmurs. ‘They’re...the city will be under attack. We have to warn Turcov...or Sommers, or somebody...’

The Gangrel raises her head and gives him what can only be described as a funny look.
‘Sommers?’ she asks, incredulously. ‘That scheming little prick still alive?’

Iacomo begins to laugh. Slowly, the remnants of his life’s vitae screaming at him all the while, he lifts himself to his feet.

‘Ah,’ he says. ‘You’ve met him, then.’

Cripps is, it’s fair to say, not a conversationalist.

‘Where are you?’
‘Hidden.’
‘Is this line secure?’
‘Mmm.’
‘What can you tell me about the movements of the Sabbat in the city?’
‘Pack near Witanhurst. More underground. Warrens battened down.’ A snort of phlegm. ‘Sorley sent out broadcasts - said Nosferatu should stay off the airwaves.’

‘Sorley thinks the Sabbat are listening in on our official communications,’ Fellowes says, glancing nervously at you. ‘But unless there’s a spy within the Camarilla-’

‘Or more than one,’ you murmur, finger upon your chin. ‘We’re hardly advocates of the free and open society. It’d be damned hard for more than one mole to engineer all of this. Cripps - are you still there? Scout out the Taurien Club, but don’t get too close. They may still be there, and waiting. If there are any survivors...well, do what you can.’

He hangs up, with a grunt of acknowledgement.

You contact Grocyn from one of the computers set up in the abandoned air-base; you can be almost sure, at least, that the Sabbat won’t be monitoring you from here.
His response comes back promptly.

Successful contact with Artzi. Lambeth chantry apparently under surveillance, possibly surrounded, not yet assaulted. Claims route underground to Greenwich chantry unmonitored, potential escape route/opportunity for a counter attack. Has heard of attacks on Elysium in Soho, Toreadors pleading for assistance, assistance sensibly not given. No word from other Barons. Will wait to hear more from your end. Malory & Gargoyles of Oxford need time to assemble but we are prepared to give what help we can without leaving our city undefended. G.

‘Right,’ you whisper, chewing nervously at your lip. ‘Right.’

You spread the map out across the table.

‘So,’ you begin, ‘We know the Sabbat have struck in Mayfair - at the Taurien Club - and now we’re hearing they may have targeted The Pleasure ‘N’ Pain. They’re cutting off our communications, attacking our usual meeting places, preventing us from effectively co-ordinating between the clans. Cripps says they’re underground, that they’ve managed to keep the Nosferatu locked down and wary of using their own technology. However, even if the sewer rats can’t talk to us, they’ll still know better than anyone what the Sabbat are up to - they have the surveillance. So perhaps we ought to begin by making our way to them?’

Fellowes shakes his head.
‘Patrician,’ he says, ‘the only absolute certainty we have right now is that the sewers will be swarming with Sabbat. They’ll attack from below, target one institution above-ground, and retreat - it’d take hours to find them again. If we send Wistman underground, their entire advantage will be lost.’

‘And if we send them in to the Pleasure ‘N’ Pain and they find nothing there but a dance-floor filled with innocent Kine and explosives rigged to blow them all to kingdom come,’ you snap back, ‘their advantage will be permanently lost. We need to make an impression, and for that we need to know where the Sabbat are. We need the Nosferatu.’

You glance up.

Captain Kaleni is standing in the doorway, dressed in a kevlar jacket; he stands to attention, and salutes.
‘Ready to go, sir,’ he tells you.

You need a plan of attack.

A) Co-ordinate your team with the Tremere to meet at Greenwich; they’ll have to pass through the entire south of the city, teeming with Sabbat, but if you can reach them, you’ll significantly strengthen your forces.

B) Send the team into the sewers in search of the Nosferatu.

C) Take it slow; establish a base in Wistanhurst/Knightsbridge/delete as appropriate, eradicating any Sabbat presence, and go from there. You'll gain a foothold, but in the meantime the Sabbat will almost certainly gain valuable ground.

D) The Toreador are clearly in trouble, and if the Sabbat can establish a permanent beachhead on the north side of the river in the old Elysium, they’ll be in a far stronger position. Send the team into Soho, quickly.

E) There’s only one way to draw the Sabbat out for certain; make a target of yourself. Head into the city personally and set the team up to ambush the Sabbat who’ll come after you. Like they say, no risk...

F) Why, surely Connaught will keep his promise about giving the Camarilla time to leave the city! Wait it out here for 24 hours to allow the Oxford reinforcements to catch up to you, then choose another option as appropriate.

laclongquan

Arcane
finally! FINALLY!!!

We are in a position to choose target. Better choose wisely.

A. Join force with local Tremere. It's not a bad idea but, risk of moving too far and inviting attacks aside, we will make their hands too strong, and raise their position in the race for Princedom. And I predict that they will delay counterattack to wait for Oxford reinforcement.

B. Sewer search. Too dangerous and it negate most of the squad's strength.

C. Consolidate our base. This is a bit predictable for a Ventrue. Low gain. But. it might be invite an ambush on the way we get in, due to its very predictablity.

E. Too risky. True, expose ourselves will certainly invite an attack. But what purpose does it serve? Think like True Camarilla here.

F. Naivete.

D. Rescue the Toreador. This is pretty risky, considering they are under heavy siege. But the strategic importance of Old Elysium cannot be understated. Out of rescue the barons at the Club, this is the second most importance ground in the city. We need to hit them now, to reduce loss, to regain momentum. PLUS, our action-man advise us to do so. It's foolish to ignore an expert's advice. *RECOMMENDED*

Also, I recommend we and Eddie also accompany the squad there. This move must not fail!

Esquilax

Arcane
A bunch of options, all of them kinda shitty, to be honest. Picking up the ghouls wasn't a great idea since we don't know what to do with them now.

Going with the Tremere is tempting, but the problem is that they likely know as much as we do - nothing. I could see the possibility of hooking up with them, then sending a team of mages + ghoul squad to fight our way through the sewers toward the Nosferatu. Considering that we don't know where the Nosferatu are, or even where the Sabbat are hanging around, it could be a bloodbath.

I'm going to tentatively suggest heading to Witanhurst to take out the pack near our home that Cripps mentioned:

‘Pack near Witanhurst. More underground. Warrens battened down.’ A snort of phlegm. ‘Sorley sent out broadcasts - said Nosferatu should stay off the airwaves.’

We get our guys to ambush the pack near our home and attempt to take a few of them alive. From there, we set up at Witanhurst and interrogate a few of them - these guys are hopefully going to have more useful info than the last couple of shovelheads we captured.

This idea isn't particularly great either. Even if we take a few of them, there's no guarantee that they're going to talk. I dunno, I'll see what the rest of you bros think. Using ourselves as bait could work since they have no idea about our ghouls.

C for now.
(P) Archon Iacomo to rendezvous with us at Witanhurst after we've cleared the ghoul squad.

Flopped to D
(P) Horn for intel and CCTV footage and satellite footage near the Pleasure 'n' Pain

grotsnik: If we were to send the ghoul team into the sewers, it would be right now, at night, correct? What kind of weaponry do they have? Way back in the old thread you mentioned XM-25 rifles, but do they also have stuff like flamethrowers available?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
D

phone the archon and get him and erika to join your attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom