Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat

anus_pounder

Arcane
Now for Dark Omen. :troll:

But seriously, good LP. Was a great read from start to finish. :bro: :love: :oops:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What, over already?

:( :( :(

dio.jpg

:salute:

Thanks everyone for reading, I was sure I won't be able to finish this game, and I probably wouldn't if not making this LP. I would probably just stopped playing at March to Zhufbar mission with Shaman flying on wyvern. This mission was very frustrating. You start in range of enemy artillery and you have to deal with super-fast unit that scares your regiments AND casts magic. I played this game before but never got too far, to be honest I was playing blind since we left Zhufbar and any on-line guide or walkthrough was completely useless for me since we get Flock of Doom quite late in the game and every guide I read was talking about "teleporting" and using "flock of doom" with amber wizard, while all I got was hunting spear. But our crossbows/archers were very experienced so we used them to our advantage instead. And artillery, of course. I think that imperial great cannon completely broke difficulty of the endgame missions. And I got a feeling that developers were aware of how OP cannons are, so they added feature of them destroying themselves when misfire to artifically increase difficulty. And it just made very random game even more random. Look at the anus_pounder post about 4 goblin archers routing his grudgebringer infantry, such bullshit happens alot in SotHR. I don't mind SOME randomness in game but it sometimes looked like the game is just flipping coin to see who will win without taking statistics and number into account. But still, SotHR is great game, even though it seems that it wasn't playtested much because difficulty ranges from "absolutely impossible if not very lucky" to "piss easy". Dark Omen is superior game in pretty much every aspect but plot/cutscenes (Dark Omen 3D stuff is fugly compared to SotHR hand-drawn stuff) and non-linearity - Rat has a lot of side-missions and quite a few ways to go-on with campaign that actually changes stuff. For example, we could ignore Sven Carlsson completely and go to Zhufbar via Underway so we wouldn't have to deal with "flying shaman ambush" and "sacrifice dwarves to go through the gate" missions. Also we could go to Loren from Nuln straight away without killing bandit and Emperor would give us regiment of Reikland Knights. Also, we would be constantly getting ambushed on our way to Loren if we didn't done "Extermination" mission. There is some similar stuff to this in Dark Omen but not this many. And I also enjoyed horrible voice acting, seriously it seemed like ONE guys is voicing all characters (Azguz, Galed and Emperor being exception) at first I was writing down briefing by listening to WAV files in game folder, but I never was entirely sure who's talking. Anyway, if you haven't play this game, you should. It's really great Chinese torture adventure!

To play it on modern system download installer from here -http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat/download/2425/ It's a "RIP" though, so you will have to download ISO from somewhere to get cut-scenes and voice overs. Or just copy the files from your game cd-rom, if someone hated your guts and bought you this game...

But we already have Dark Omen Let's Play and Jarema needs some rest. So I decided to do LP of game without cavalry so we can't include Jarema (we can't make him mere infantry men like some chudopachołek). Also I recently finished DO so making another LP in-between will give me time to completely forget how to play Dark Omen because I have memory of gold fish.

asongforsimeon

Educated
But we already have Dark Omen Let's Play and Jarema needs some rest. So I decided to do LP of game without cavalry so we can't include Jarema (we can't make him mere infantry men like some chudopachołek). Also I recently finished DO so making another LP in-between will give me time to completely forget how to play Dark Omen because I have memory of gold fish.

How about Mark of Chaos? I kwow Codex hates the poor thing, but at least the opening cinematic is awesome.

How about Mark of Chaos? I kwow Codex hates the poor thing, but at least the opening cinematic is awesome.

I played Mark of Chaos, it's shit compared to SotHR and DO but I played and enjoyed much worse games to be honest. But I can barely run it on my main computer on lowest settings, and now I'm at my parents house with my secondary PC which had problems running Gothic 2 so Mark of Chaos is out of the question.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Fucking brilliant all the way through. Never got very far with this one when it came out, despite being a rampant WFB nerd at the time.

Great LP, man! Though I kinda hoped the rats will at least summon a Vermin Lord for the last battle.

Your names will go down in history, as true sons of Potato

Nobody will be able to pronounce them or even write them down correctly, though.

Speak for yourself :troll:

Actually, after reading Thanquol speech to rats my initial plan was to NOT destroy menhir because I thought that destroying it will summon Horned Rat and he will rape us. But then I have read Thanquol speech again and noticed that he said to destroy menhir with warpstone. And then I thought that if we destroy it with runic hammer we should be fine. And I was actually so keen to piss off Ceridan that I could even risk summoning ultimate evil to do that.

Also, I found a way to do Dark Omen LP while not being dick at the same time (because we already have LP of DO by Jasede). We will use mods, and DO mod campaign are basically SAME campaign on the SAME maps with SAME map order and SAME plot but different units. My initial thought about DO mods was "what a piece of lazy shit" but then I realized that Dark Omen has Electronic Art and Gamesworkshop logos slapped on it, so if modders would find a way to hack the campaign their reward would surely be a fucking law suit. So I forgive them. But we will have to LARP our own plot.

EDIT: What the fuck have I done with this post. I cannot into forums.

MrTickle

Barely Literate
Despite 10-15 yrs passing since playing this game, for some reason, I've been thinking about it alot recently. Many weeks of my prime youth were frustrated with this adventure... a 300 MB ram computer was also martyred in the process. But your great blog here has now helped me itch this scratch without messing with silly dos emulators and likely weeks of unsociable behavior. :D
maybe I can finally even give DO a go, now that my computer tech has caught up!
thanks again. :)

txyq6DP.jpg

Woah!! Didn't know that in some ways Dark Omen was downgrade even visually. Maybe I really should try the Rat some time finally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom