Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Wasteland: Complete

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Frau Bishop said:
Sweet LP. But would you mind giving us also some screenshots about the individual skills and levelups from time to time?

Yeah, got a bit sidetracked from doing that with the amount of leveling I was doing per update, particularly in the Quartz one. I'll do a character rundown in the next one, which should be up in a day or two.

edit: and here's our page

Needles has a nice arms cache hidden away as well, but the guardian is...difficult at your level, and care is needed to extract the goods without...destroying them.

You don't mean the rather ineffectual pit ghoul thing that stood in one place and growled at me until killed, do you?

You don't mean the rather ineffectual pit ghoul thing that stood in one place and growled at me until killed, do you?

Ok...that confirms it. There must be something wrong with the PC version.

I initally thought to myself that things seemed...a little easy for you, but not impossible. The starting enemies are not all that difficult. The ease of Harry's demise was the first thing I thought was a touch odd, followed by the Ugly confrontation, that again seemed way too easy. Both of them seemed a lot more robust when I played through it last, but I put it down to a faulty memory. You are one of the smarter cookies I have come across after all.

This is too much however.

Didn't it immediately rush towards the party? Didn't it have god knows how many hitpoints? Wipe out characters with one swipe? If not, the PC version is clearly watered down from the original versions (C64 and Apple 2).

At least let me know there were killer amounts of radiation down there....

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Hm, that's definitely odd, and a little disappointing if true. A few people who posted in my other thread mentioned having played several of the versions, can anyone shed light on this?

I have a backup save I've been keeping at the end of each update in case anything goes wrong, I'll test the ghoul fight again, if only to see if it still doesn't approach and how much damage it does. Certainly bears investigation. The area was full of radiation, at least, that I can confirm.

EDIT:
Well, it ran at me at this time, and did take down my party - they weren't well-armed, though, mostly using fists and pistols. It did about 20-28 damage per hit. When I killed it playing normally, I was using an SMG and an AK on full auto for a good few rounds, for up to 90-odd damage a shot; HP seems right by this page, though I'm not sure which version it goes by. Still seems a bit easier than you recall.

Can't find anything online about difficulty discrepancies, most seem to insist that the version differences are minor. Huh.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Ranger L. Mazzei said:
...the C=64 version was based on the Apple // version (the original) and the PC version was built from the ground up.
That could very well include some balancing differences I suppose. But, cool. Never (edit:really) played the PC version, let's see what happens.

I was using an SMG and an AK

This could be part of the reason, especially the AK. Where did you get hold of an AK before the pit? The reason I always headed for the pit was because I was sick of having an Uzi (Ugly's weapon if memory serves), some melee weapons, and a couple of M17's and M19's. When I first discovered the treasure trove of armour and assault rifles, I was incredibly pleased with myself.

I also remember most of the shots, including from the Uzi, doing hardly any damage (or none at all) on the pit ghoul.

Ah well, we shall see what happens further in.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
To be honest, if there has been, it's likely only been on the "boss" monsters; I've mentioned in a few updates that I spend a fair amount of time running away to heal while clearing an area, and it can sometimes get pretty touch and go as to whether I'm going to make it. By comparison, bosses seem to go down fairly painlessly, which did always seem odd. I think I do a pretty good deal of damage between my characters, and the bosses do usually near-kill any of my bros when they do get a couple of hits in, so I guess I might just be lucky so far.

Ah well. Onward! Update today, probably.

Where did you get hold of an AK before the pit?

Stumbled across it in Needles, thorough exploration pays off. All will be revealed. And yeah, the AK was doing 90+ damage by itself, so...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland001.png

Wasteland002.png

That's a good start to our quest.

Wasteland003.png

...need it. Excellent. To be honest, the thing doesn't seem to have much use anyway; the world map is small and the creatures on it don't seem to vary in difficulty by region.

Wasteland004.png

And Quartz appears to be full of... ghoul equivalents? Zombies? Cannon fodder. However, when we venture into the town itself, the encounter difficulty ramps up considerably.

Wasteland005.png

Wasteland006.png

Downtown is a hip and happening place. Someone on a corner stand sells "hobo dogs", presumably made with real hobos.

Wasteland007.png

We take a few serious wounds following a brief fight with some generic thugs, but Alex saves the day. Our medics are becoming an increasingly vital part of the team...

Wasteland008.png

Tempted as we are, the desert rangers have a reputation of purity to uphold, and we are forced to decline.

Wasteland009.png

Nice to see that the tradition of burst shots being absurdly overpowered has been a mainstay through the (spiritual) series.

Wasteland010.png

Vampires? Wacky cults? How Bethesdea- I'll stop.

Wasteland011.png

In the library, we can put our gained skill points (through IQ increases) to use by buying points in many of the skills we could pick at startup. Grunker takes a brawling level of 2; good as he is at being a karate master, he's going to need to pack a bit more punch in future. This will also give him two attacks per round.

Wasteland012.png

A creepy waste pit on the outskirts of town.

Wasteland013.png

HanoverF penis monsters attack. They are... absurdly pathetic, giving about 1 experience per kill. Will a more dangerous foe appear to pose a real threat?

Wasteland014.png

Wasteland015.png

Sharpened by long years wandering the wastes and the lack of opposition so far as we're funneled down into the depths of the earth, our rangers' danger senses are going haywire. Time to back off for now.

Wasteland016.png

A train! EXcellent. It takes us across the reasonably large town map, bypassing minor mobs for no cost.

Wasteland017.png

The sand dunes provide free boosts to the climb skill, with the only enemy around being rather weak lost souls. We may abuse this through the macro function, mapping F2 to climb up and down one dune and mashing it for a while. Hey, the function is there. Apparently, this can be abused until you're at the top possible level, but frankly I don't have the patience and it doesn't sound like it'll make the rest of the game very entertaining. We settle on getting chzr's climb up to 3 or 4.

Wasteland018.png

:salute:

Wasteland019.png

Wasteland020.png

Wasteland021.png

Wasteland022.png

Wasteland023.png

An ammo bunker near the library. Blood is becoming a bit of a common theme around here...

Wasteland024.png

As I was saying. The corpse carries a ruby ring and a "bloodstaff". We'll see what this is all about soon.

Wasteland025.png

A booby trap! Hopefully our demolitions skill is sufficie-

Wasteland026.png

We dust ourselves off, picking up some decent explosives, ammo and... a howitzer shell! Nice.

Wasteland027.png

We enter the police station, hoping to discover a bit more about what's going on in town.

This detective reminds you of Humphrey Bogart. As you approach, he
snicks a match with his thumbnail and lights a cigarette. An overflowing
ashtray sits on his desk beside an open bottle of Scotch. His eyes are cold
and hard as he watches you. You note the lump of a roscoe in a shoulder
holster under his gray suit coat. He introduces himself as Spare Shade and
points out that he will not play the sap for you or anybody else. That
settled, he asks what you want.

"Where'd you get that ring?" the detective demands. I think his
Holiness is looking for that thing."

Wasteland028.png

Just the thing!

Going back to his work, Sam says, "I suppose you wanna know about
the Bloodstaff." He wipes his hands on a greasy rag and sighs. "Don't mind
telling you the murders have lots of folks worried. People just up and
vanish. Then, when we find them again, they've been drained of blood --
every drop." He squints at you and his voice drops to a tense whisper. "I
seen one of the bodies and it had a cut in the neck, just like a scar my
grandmother had on her neck. She said once, when she was little, a priest
used the Bloodstaff on her after she got snake bit. I think the Blood staff
is involved, and that means trouble."

This it the item we hold in our hands? Hmm... seems a bit too easy. Wonder what we should do with it?

Wasteland029.png

We do not beware them.

Wasteland030.png

We probably should have. Bloody things pack quite a punch, as you can tell.

Wasteland031.png

Wasteland032.png

Wasteland034.png

Thankfully, our main medics (chzr and Alex) are well, and quickly heal our team back to stability. And then we move on to do it some more. While the game is mostly blob-combat style, positioning and control of space play a surprisingly large role; we manoever around the corner of the room to break up the enemy blobs and engage them one at a time. It's no JA2, but hey.

Wasteland035.png

Wasteland036.png

Wasteland037.png

The block gets my attention. Normally, I'd probably have moved on, but when a game points out that something is blocked... well, when a good game does... it means it wants you to find a way past. chzr clears the first square with her mighty strength, and we blow the next with a stick of TNT.

Wasteland038.png

Here we go. This better be worth it.

Wasteland039.png

The gang is armed, and pack quite a punch. I'm really starting to want better weaponry now; the shop in Quartz sold rifles, but I jewed out since we were doing fight up to that point.

Wasteland040.png

:fap:
Alex pretty much carries this fight for us. You go, soldier.

Wasteland041.png

We back off as more jerks pour into the alley from somewhere ahead, Alex desperately healing our wounded before they go critical. Alex, may I remind you, being the only ranger with a decent weapon. chzr tries, but just doesn't have the ability.

Wasteland042.png

The enemy leader makes the mistake of getting within chzr's reach. There's more, but we grab an AK-47 off the leader's corpse, and the remainder quickly fall apart before us.

Taking a quick detour back to Quartz, we head down to the hideout to pick up some 9mm ammo for Alex's somewhat depleted Uzi. While there - and I swear this was coincidental - we pass by the map in Ugly's office again, and...

Wasteland043.png

Hum. Remember when we first made our way through here, and killed off the Duck Squad or whatever they're called?

You unceremoniously rip the bracelet from Dewey's limp wrist.
Rubbing it against your chest several times to remove the blood, you see
"16" engraved on it.

They all had these on, one two-digit number each. Not sure what order they're meant to go in, so I just try a few until I get lucky...

Wasteland044.png

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wasteland045.png

Better armed, leveled and prepared, we descend once more into the pit. What could await us there? You already know, because of the discussion above, but pretend you don't. It's all sinister and such.

Wasteland046.png

Gasp!

Wasteland047.png

The fiendish pit ghoul takes some damage, running towards the party... once.

Wasteland048.png

After that, it just kind of... ran into a corner and sat there. Nervously, we approached, gunning at it for four or five rounds. But even when we were near-reaching, it did nothing. I'm as confused as you are, and this didn't repeat itself when I loaded an earlier save to test.

Wasteland049.png

Oh well.

Wasteland050.png

Wasteland051.png

One of the cabinets contains more rad suits, the other several assault rifles. Oh yes. The whole party is now equipped in kevlar vests or better. Except Felicia, who is rubbish and is getting nothing.

Wasteland052.png

We kill our way into a gang hideout. They don't pose much of a threat to our well-armed heroes.

Wasteland053.png

Traps, as ever, do a bit. However, we're sufficiently armored that it doesn't do much.

Wasteland054.png

Bloodstaff verification? Hum...
Ours is - surprise - a fake! What the hell is going on in sleepy little Needles? I think we need to find this Temple of the Mushroom Cloud sooner rather than later...

Wasteland055.png

A howitzer! :bounce:

Wasteland057.png

We aim it in a south-westerly direction and fire recklessly. Heading in that direction to see what we hit, we discover the smoking remains of... the hobo dog stand?

Wasteland058.png

There has got to be an awful one-liner about blowing up a fast food joint with a Howitzer, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone?

Wasteland059.png

Here we are, south-east of the Downtown area.

Wasteland060.png

The Mushroom Bishop explains to you, "I sent out my second-in-command to look into a series of murders." You notice the bishop nervously
twisting a ruby ring around his finger.
A ruby ring? Hm. Ulminati rummages in his inventory, producing it and showing it to the old man.

Wasteland061.png

Er, after a few missteps, anyway.

"Where did you find that? Oh my god, he must be dead. The
Bloodstaff was stolen from here and I'll generously reward you if you find
it and bring it back. Last I knew he was going back to downtown Needles."

Well, er... yeah. I found his body there. The one you just acknowledged I took this from? Or do you mean the thief? Speak clearly, man!

Wasteland062.png

On the north-west of town, there's a "temple of blood" that I passed entering once. Now, I know the name is totally innocuous, but I just have this faint idea that it might be connected to this bizarre scenario. We venture in to find out.

Wasteland063.png

I think my hunch might have been right.
NEXT EPISODE: We venture into the foul depths of the temple of blood, and discover the dark secrets at the heart of the sleepy town of Needles!

Brilliant. You are certainly doing very well so far.

You know, you don't really need the Mayor and his wife anymore...I usually dropped them off after Quartz, but if you like to have a bureaucrat working for a living, who am I to disagree?

Ace remains a fairly useful fellow. There is a woman in Needles, Christine (I think that is her name) who you can bring on board. She is south of the main street. It requires an 'encounter' to get her to join. Fairly decent fighter and has an Uzi I believe.

Or you could wait for Covenant...

Edit: Amusing. There is a song called 'Wasteland' from the 90's, that was written by someone who calls themselves 'Covenant', a joinable character from this Wasteland. Coincidence?

Anyway, carry on!

Johannes

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Blackadder said:
Oh, and if you are going to stick with melee, brawl is always a good option to have.

Yeah, I picked up a couple of points of brawling for Grunker when we got to Needles. Incidentally, how does the game decide combat skills increasing through use? I've yet to see anyone get a boost to any of them for fighting, but apparently it should happen.

It happens quite slowly during the initial stages for weapon skills. Later on, when you are beating down on mutants, ripping clips on robots, etc, you will see the jumps start to happen quite quickly. Don't expect giant numbers though. If any skills get above 4/5 they are starting to really get up there.
Iirc every enemy has a maximum skill level that your skill can be raised to when fighting it. When early enemies have the threshold at 1, or 2 for some probably, you won't see your skills raising off them.

Johannes said:
Blackadder said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Blackadder said:
Oh, and if you are going to stick with melee, brawl is always a good option to have.

Yeah, I picked up a couple of points of brawling for Grunker when we got to Needles. Incidentally, how does the game decide combat skills increasing through use? I've yet to see anyone get a boost to any of them for fighting, but apparently it should happen.

It happens quite slowly during the initial stages for weapon skills. Later on, when you are beating down on mutants, ripping clips on robots, etc, you will see the jumps start to happen quite quickly. Don't expect giant numbers though. If any skills get above 4/5 they are starting to really get up there.
Iirc every enemy has a maximum skill level that your skill can be raised to when fighting it. When early enemies have the threshold at 1, or 2 for some probably, you won't see your skills raising off them.

This is possible, but not really something important. I never really got into the technical side of Wasteland, as it seems to kill the fun factor for me. All he needs to know is that the weapon skills will rise, so don't bother grinding. Thankfully, it isn't that kind of game.

I was just thinking: You cannot really do this game justice without playing it. The graphic whores probably took one look and fled the scene, screaming in terror. I am glad you took the plunge Admiral.

Better than saying 'bump'

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I've only played this game once, but loved it, and this LP has inspired me to re-download and give it another go at some point in the near future. Kudos.

torpid said:
This game is pretty lulzy. It's apparent now that Fallout 2 was the better adaptation :smug:

Not really. Plotwise, Fallout is basically a massively cut down version of Wasteland.

Gameplay wise, totally different.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
torpid said:
This game is pretty lulzy. It's apparent now that Fallout 2 was the better adaptation :smug:

It's kind of funny to see people screaming about how Fallout 2 (and onwards) were full of "lulzy" shit when Harry the Bunny Master was on the scene of the spiritual franchise from the very start, but it's worth keeping in mind that Wasteland was from the time where games didn't take themselves as seriously; think the self-aware geeky humour of Might and Magic. Fallout tries to be more coherent and serious, and that's why the daft things in Fallout 2 stand out.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not enough death, maybe You should play it solo/insane?

Seriously, though: good update. The howitzer part cracked me up.

Also: moar!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
/

Before we begin, I must placate the good Mrs Bishop so she refrains from telling her husband who fathered the child she is carrying. As such, here's a rundown of our main team now, to show where the points from their promotions were distributed. I'd post the original stats for comparison, but this update has enough images as it is. They're on the first page. Get.

Wasteland001.png

With chzr, I've mostly been focusing on making her a raw tank and prime damage-dealer, focusing on Strength with an IQ/Dexterity point here and there to give her some gun effectiveness and make the most of her potential skills - the game allows you to take skills later on which require high IQs and aren't available on startup, such as doctor, energy weapons and... toaster repair? I guess there's a broken toaster back at the rail nomad camp, but I remain unconvinced as to the usefulness of that one. Anyway.

Wasteland002.png

With Ulminati, I've been focusing on dexterity and IQ. He's not a great character, to be totally honest, but I'm hoping to shape him into a premier marksman.

Wasteland003.png

Here's Grunker. Grunker has been evenly balancing his strength and dexterity, since I'm not totally sure which I want him to focus on as of yet. I should probably make my mind up on that front.

Wasteland004.png

With his pitiful strength, Alex is definitely cut out to be a marksman. With his decent IQ, I'm thinking of making him our first and foremost energy weapons user.

Skills-wise, there's not much to show. Everyone's initial skills have improved, and the only new ones I've picked up have been assault rifles for a couple of people (they seem like they'll be the major weapon for most of the game, and definitely outclass everything else so far except chzr... being chzr) and Brawling for Grunker to make him actually worth using in melee.

Wasteland006.png

Back to the Temple of Blood. Slightly creepy here.

Wasteland030.png

I think there's a motif here. It's not one I can really put my finger on, though.

Wasteland007.png

I can't interact with the Priest in any way. I wanted to get his side of events! No moral ambiguity! :decline:

Wasteland008.png

These aptly-named robots are the main guards of the Temple and present my main obstacle. And they are dicks. Damaging them is a feat in of itself. Grunker's fists are rapidly becoming more and more useless. I want a chainsaw :(

Wasteland009.png

As you can see, I quickly gave up on chzr's melee and Ulminati's one-shot rifle, and they exchange them both for the assault rifles I picked up from the waste pit. Remember that thing I was asking Blackadder about when combat skills start to increase? The answer is now, and damn quickly.

Wasteland010.png

124 You see written here: "The launch code is MOTEKIM."

Hmm. Worth noting down. Obviously.

Wasteland011.png

The darkened cell reeks of decay. You take a step inside and feel
something slick on the cell's floor. You stoop and touch it, then recoil as
if burned. The empty cell is full of blood!

Charming. What the hell is going on in this place? It certainly lives up to its name.

Wasteland012.png

Wasteland013.png

These fucking things. We heal up quickly enough, but character death isn't seeming too distant a prospect now.

Wasteland014.png

:salute: Points go into IQ and Dexterity.

Wasteland015.png

I... just might heed that advice, actually.

Wasteland016.png

The glowing torchlight flickers across a horrific scene. Men in
torn and blood spattered robes struggle against the ropes binding them to
massive steel tables. The tables slope down at the head and a catch basin at
the lowest corner is used to collect the dark flow of blood dripping from
the small wounds cut into each writhing victim.
Priests rush from one table to another, gathering buckets the way a
dairy farmer gathers the bucket of milk from his cows. They pour the smaller
quantities of blood into a hole in the floor, but you cannot tell where the
dark fluid drains away to in this dim chamber of horrors.

For a game that's very concise in its writing - or perhaps because of it - what we do see is very well done; to the point, atmospheric and scene-setting in a way that makes up for the primitive graphics. I'll definitely take this over yet another dingy Dragon Age dungeon with plastic bloom emanating from torches to illuminate copy-and-pasted generic torture devices. Please play this game instead of having a third run of DA to reinforce your opinion of how shitty it is, people.

Wasteland017.png

If only this match with their names was a recurring theme in the game. It would make those Jerk encounters a lot more pleasant.

Wasteland018.png

Wasteland019.png

James?

Wasteland020.png

Wasteland021.png

That's not James Bond. It's a hobo. Well, fuck.

Wasteland022.png

Nope

Wasteland024.png

The Silicon Snipers, despite their impressive name, are... rubbish. They barely pierce even the bullet-proof vests some of our bros are still sporting. The only irritating aspect of them is the way they tend to pop up a few squares away, forcing a laborious turn-by-turn crawl towards them if we want to beat them down and save ammo.

Wasteland025.png

Good stuff. We pick up another assault rifle and some grenades.

Wasteland026.png

:bounce:

Wasteland027.png

I may have mentioned these things being a bit rubbish.

Wasteland028.png

Still, they whittle us down, little by little...

Wasteland029.png

A pair of Blood Guardians flank a complex control panel, the like
of which you've not seen before in the wasteland. One of the guards looks at
you and you hear him mutter "infidels" under his breath. Beyond them you see
a large area of painted floor that looks very much like a giant chessboard,
but you can't begin to guess at what it might be for, or what it's doing in
the middle of a temple.

What?

Wasteland031.png

Proof that even in the apocalyptic future, there will still be a brave few who do not consider turn-based combat to be outdated.

Wasteland033.png

Disposing of them with a minimum of fuss, we move on. Seeing no other way forward but taking part, we agree.

Wasteland034.png

You appear on what seems to be the lower half of a large
chessboard. A booming voice echoes through the game grid. "Do not stray from
the path if you value your health." Spectators fill the dark galleries to
hoot derisive jeers at you and wager against your success.

Wasteland035.png

Wasteland036.png

I have... no idea how to go about this. I don't think I missed anything explaining this game to me. Shrugging, I decide to go with trial and error.

Wasteland037.png

It's painful, but never does anything worse than knock us out.

Wasteland038.png

Over, up, over, down one, across one, then up... and so on. It doesn't follow any discernable pattern I can work out. Sigh.

Wasteland040.png

And then I had to do it again because, funnily enough, I had no idea it would ask me this. At least it's still not as annoying as that fucking Enclave fucking floor puzzle in the fucking oil rig fuck shit I take science just so I can avoid that fucking thing

Wasteland041.png

Wasteland042.png

A lake of blood! I've always wanted one of these. chzr uses her swimming ability, and we explore the moat, being bitten by fish that do little damage through most of our armour.

Wasteland044.png

Wasteland045.png

Slimes! Just like my Japanese Dragon Quests :love:

Wasteland046.png

There's a few groups of these, and they give fair experience for little trouble.

Wasteland048.png

Nothing like corroboration, I guess. Still not sure what this is for, but anything that involves launch codes is probably something we want to get right first go.

Wasteland049.png

Not my HEAD!

Wasteland050.png

HEADS! intact, we finish our tour and heal up on the island. There are no random encounters in this area, so we're free to rest unmolested.

Wasteland051.png

Now, let's find those snipers. You can enter combat mode to do stuff like reload, unjam and... probably some other stuff in the same way that you can enter "encounter" mode to hire/talk to someone.

Wasteland053.png

They're not quite as clever up close. Loot loot loot.

Wasteland054.png

Poppin moles. Alex's SMG is coming to the end of its usefulness, but it's still pretty good for razing minor mooks.

Wasteland055.png

The gate is locked. Alex picks it for us, as ever, and the game unexpectedly compliments us.

Wasteland056.png

Though that was probably just so we would let our guard down. Not sure if this was an automatic detection or through chzr (or someone)'s perception. We jump over the plate, and brilliantly enough, it immediately offers us the chance to jump straight back over. I do this backwards and forwards for a while, because I am easily amused.

Wasteland057.png

Bloodbeasts! They're dogs, by the way.

Wasteland058.png

They're pretty tough, but no match for our assault rifles on full auto. I try to let Grunker get a few kills in too; want to level him up so we can give him the IQ points to start using rifles himself.

Wasteland059.png

Wasteland060.png

We chase down the remaining cultists. We must be nearing this group's twisted leader... time for answers. Or murder. Both are considered roughly equal and indeed interchangeable in the world of Wasteland.

Wasteland061.png

Wasteland062.png

The bumfacebeasts give excellent experience. This leads to the strange scenario of a group of AK-wielding nutcases chasing down some cowering dogs so that a Chinese ninja can beat them to death with his puny yellow arms.

Wasteland063.png

:salute: IQ it is.

Wasteland064.png

Wasteland065.png

As you might expect from his surroundings, the demon-priest is an
utterly corrupt individual. A flowing blue robe covers his diseased body..
and a foul smirk twists his face askew. He smiles and teeth blacker than
ebony glint in the half-light. Palsey's wracked hands grasp the Bloodstaff
tightly and threaten you with it. '"You will not have it," he whispers
harshly. "You cannot take my life!"

Is his name Palsey or does he have palsy? Am I supposed to know his name? Does it matter? No.

Wasteland066.png

There are a lot of mooks here. Every funny little blob-monster up there represents one group, as in this group of nine. This could take some time... at least the blobertbeasts can't do much to hurt us, but every little counts.

Wasteland067.png

Wasteland068.png

There he comes. Time to clear up the rest of this mob, and quickly. Grunker equips and throws a grenade into the mob.

Wasteland071.png

Wasteland072.png

Not bad... the creatures are pretty resilient, though, and might take something a bit more heavy-duty. Grunker grins and prepares a plastic explosive.

Wasteland073.png

Wasteland074.png

Felicia is down, and chzr and Alex try to revive her between them. Grunker throws his explosive, to slightly better effect this time.

Wasteland075.png

Wasteland076.png

Three instant kills. :bounce:
Wasteland077.png

Felicia still teeters on the brink of going critical, while the rest of us mop up the remaining bloodbeasts. And then the man himself comes in...

Wasteland078.png

Wasteland079.png

Felicia is finally healed. Our attacks do little to scratch the Priest, while he misses us consistently in return. Our Chinese demolitions-expert ninja, his mind filled with the sheer, primal joy of exploding things, whips out a rocket launcher and brings the cleansing.

Wasteland080.png

Good night, sweet prince. The Bloodstaff - presumably, this time, the real thing - miraculously survives the rocket hit intact, and we retrieve our prize. Time to get out of here.

Wasteland081.png

The stairs lead us into a strange garage or... something. Sometimes the primitive graphics make it a bit hard to tell what the hell we're seeing.

Wasteland083.png

Although you do not recognize it at first, the object before you is
massive and sends shivers up your spines. You study it, splitting up to
explore both sides at the same time. From the other side someone yells,
"It's a missile -- but the insides have been removed!"

Oh, okay. How this fits in with anything else in Needles will have to remain a mystery. As will, er, most of Needles.

Wasteland085.png

Don't we just. :Smug:

Wait, should we really be telling him the-

Wasteland086.png

...what?

Wasteland087.png

Puzzled and not slightly disconcerted, we approach a... teleporter... in the upper right. We materialise outside of the Temple, and in our relief, we walk straight into a blob of radiation and receive radiation poisoning for our trouble. To the doctor!

Wasteland088.png

Yes, yes, just get on with it.

Wasteland089.png

We are Desert Rangers, sir! No reward is nece-

Wasteland090.png

We now, of course, have more assault rifles than we know what to do with. No reason not to give one to pretty much everyone... though I was hoping Felicia would've been killed off by now. Ah well, a packrat's a packrat.

Wasteland091.png

Engine in hand, we return to the garage where our useless jeep is stored.

Wasteland092.png

Wasteland093.png

They were strange indeed, sir. I'd say "fortunately, we solved them", but we didn't. I still don't understand what the hell that was all about. The mushroom cultists don't seem very nice themselves. Ah well, we killed some bad people and got our just rewards. And that, bros, is what real RPGing is about.

Wasteland094.png

Oh, what a shame. Now we have to walk half a screen or so if we want to return.

Well, we're now in Las Vegas. A city that survived the nuclear war mostly intact, because the house bet against the missiles hitting Vegas, and nobody wins against the house.
Sound familiar? Could we be meeting a certain calculating, sheltered genius in the casinos of Vegas? A great philanthroper, an intellectual giant and man of great wisdom who seeks nothing but the betterment of humanity, yet one often rejected and harshly misunderstood for his trouble? We will... but perhaps not the one you might be thinking of.

Next update: THE BSET UPDATE YOU WIL L EVER SEE BROS

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's reading LPs like this one that helps me understand, again, just why I became addicted to cRPGs back when I was a wee one.

And you say the next update will be even better? We'll see. :roll:

lightbane

Arcane
Wasteland080.png

This is like Fallout on crack :D :D

I like it so far, for some reason the wackiness reminds me of Earthbound (the ridiculously insane and strange cult, for example).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom