Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Read: Fate/Stay Night

Random

Arcane
Patron
awOzz.jpg

tvE14.jpg

A spearhead thrust to pierce my heart.
Trying to dodge it would be useless.
Being lightning, invisible to the human eye.
But...
The lightning that tries to pierce me...
...is repelled by the moonlight that tries to save me.

Clang, a beautiful sound.
No, the sound before me is heavier than steel.
The armor she is wearing is not beautiful at all and as unrefined as the cold night.
The sound wasn't beautiful at all.
It was actually the sound of steel.
It's just that the knight is beautiful enough to turn it into a charming sound like a bell.

IDwRZ.jpg

"I have come forth in response to your summons.
From this time forward, my sword shall be with you and your fate shall be with me. Now, our contract is complete."

Yes, the contract has been completed.
When she chose me as her Master…
I'm sure I swore to help her too.

The moonlight still lights up the darkness.
As if following the knight's example, the shed again falls silent.

Time has stopped.
The scene lasts less than a second.
But…
I'm sure I'll remember this scene vividly even when I've gone to hell.

The face slightly turned.
The quiet green eyes.
The instant becomes an eternity.
The blue outfit symbolizing her sways in the wind.

--------A faint blue light filters in.
The golden hair shines in the moonlight.

iTZZV.jpg

~~~

Alright, bros, rather than showing you the worst that the visual novel industry has to offer, I'm gonna show you a visual novel that Japan widely considers to be very good. It's quite popular, if nothing else. It supposedly possesses a (translated) word count in excess of that of Lord of the Rings. This will surely be a trial of my stamina and perseverance. If you have questions about certain terms, like foods, objects, and customs, ask away and I'll do my best to answer you. Otherwise, sit down, prepare for great amounts of tl;dr, and enjoy.

Conventions:

Occasionally, I'll post some links to music from the actual VN itself to help set the mood. These links will be titled whatever the track is titled. Basically, if you see a link, click it and listen to it while you read.

My personal commentary will be in italics, but since this VN is supposed to be able to carry itself, I'll keep my commentary to a minimum and just let you all enjoy it for yourselves.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Prologue: Day One

aDip2.jpg

6Vsa6.jpg

…I'm watching someone I know very well.
A tall man with a deep-featured face, who to my knowledge has never told a joke, is patting my head.
No, that's not quite right.
I guess he doesn't know how much strength to use. So to be more accurate, he's grabbing my head and mashing it around.

I guess that's only to be expected.
After all, that's the first time he's ever patted my head.

gjnl4.jpg

I answer the deep voice with a polite "yes".
The man patting my head nods once, lets go, and stands up.…So, that was it.
If I'd known then that it was our final moment together, I would have made him laugh with my best jokes.
I had practiced telling jokes a lot, in hope that I could bring a smile to his grave face.
I guess you could say I was sad that I couldn't tell him any of them.

IROsQ.jpg

Even though he said such things, I guess he was still worried.
He told me about the heirloom jewels, the jewels inherited from the master, and how to manage the basement.
As he was telling me all the things I didn't yet know, I realized even as a child.
---------That most likely…
He wouldn't be coming back.

kuVu8.jpg

The man standing before me was one of them.
He too was in a position to kill or be killed.
He must have known more keenly than I did that his time was near.

"Rin, the Holy Grail will appear eventually. It is our duty as the Tohsaka family to win it. More importantly, if you want to be a magus, you can't avoid it."

Once more,
he patted my head, and left.
That was the end.
That was the last time I saw the man, who entered the Holy Grail war as a master and died. The man who was my teacher as well as my father.

"Take care, father."

I see him off politely.
I knew I was on the verge of crying, but I shed no tears.

I loved him.
He was a great father and a great magus.
Among magi, there are only obstinate people.
In the whole world, I don't think anyone had a better character than his.
He taught me as a teacher and loved me as a father.

That's why I decided…
To choose my path according to what he left me in the end.

'-------Rin, the Holy Grail will appear eventually. It is our duty as the Tohsaka family to win it. More importantly, if you want to be a magus, you can't avoid it-------'

In the end, he left me those words as a magus and not as a father.
That is why at that moment, my path was determined.
"-------All right. I'll do my best to be a proper magus-------"
It's only natural for a student to follow the words of their teacher.
Since then, through many twists and turns… I, Tohsaka Rin, have matured.

It has been ten years since the winter day on which my father went to war.
I haven't exactly been waiting for this moment, but I am excited.
That's only natural.
The event I have never forgotten about is about to start-------

aDip2.jpg

ytpp7.jpg

bjOwd.jpg

"…What? Come on, I was up late last night, so…"
It should let me sleep in a bit longer.
No, it has to let me sleep in.
I was deciphering my father's will until early this morning, and I've used up too much magical energy.
In other words, my mind and body are dead tired.

"Ah, geez-------you're really stubborn."
Brring. Brring. Brring. Brring.
The alarm clock doesn't speak my language.
So why does the ringing sound like it's telling me "You're going to be late"?

"…Late… Being late is bad…"
Though that depends on the situation.
I'm a good student, but maybe I can get to school at the last moment just for today.

"…That's right… I set the alarm thirty minutes early, so I should be able to sleep for thirty minutes more…"
-------Huh?
Isn't that strange?

"…Set it thirty minutes early…?"
I look at the alarm clock drowsily.
The clock is pointing exactly at seven.
I usually get up at six thirty, so the spare thirty minutes have already been used up.
…Oh, why can't I think when I wake up.

"…Hm."
I stare at the alarm clock for several seconds.
Shutting it off, I decide to get out of bed.

In Sunlight

yWCCO.jpg

"Heater, heater…"
Turning on the heater, I head to the bathroom.
At times like this, living on your own is inconvenient.
If there were someone to wake up before me, the living room would be warm by now.

nsNFg.jpg

I tie my ribbon and I'm all ready.
All I have to do is eat breakfast and head out.
Looking at the clock, it's only a bit past seven, and I'm a bit disappointed.

"Man, I guess I don't have to run after all."
Then again, I would never do anything as clumsy as running to school anyway.
It is the custom of the Tohsaka family to act with composure and elegance at all times.

sJAF4.jpg

"…Well, it's not something I can brag about."
Actually, I can't speak openly about it at all.
--------Oh, by the way. I, Tohsaka Rin, am a magus--------
Who on earth can I brag to like that?

I can't tell if you're classy or just paranoid for saying that.

Magic is just what it sounds like… magic.
I don't care if you get ideas like abracadabra or whatever.
You can just think of us as people who do strange things by casting spells.

Alright, then I will.

--------Oh, though it's not like we fly around on brooms or make stars appear with a wave of a wand.
…Well, we could do that, but we don't bother as it's kind of meaningless.
We're basically heretics who hide ourselves from the world.
We're prohibited from standing out and even if we weren't, we would rather be at home studying magic.

On top of that, the word sorcerer is completely inaccurate.
To be precise, there are only five sorcerers in the world.
Things no one can do, things beyond the ability of modern science… The ones who can make such "miracles" are the ones we call sorcerers.

Miracles that can never be achieved, regardless of time or effort… those we call sorcery.
Those things that are mysterious, but achievable with time and effort… those we call magic.
That's why what I do is called magic rather than sorcery.
It's complicated, but that's how it is, so just accept it.

Well, to be honest, the modern world doesn't recognize the existence of magi.
As we believe, control, and learn things that are immeasurable, our existence is incompatible with the modern world.
Because it's kind of meaningless.
Going to a normal school and becoming a normal adult will bring you far more happiness than studying magic.

Human technology is great.
In the past few hundred years, it has been leading the way ahead of magic.
Nothing is impossible for humans.
The miracles once only possible through magic are now "tools" and not miraculous at all.

--------Still, magic has its good points.
Just as there are things possible only through science,
there are also things possible only through magic.
It was the master of the Tohsaka family who said that if science is moving toward the future, magic is moving toward the past.
Something about the past and the future ending up at the same place, everything always running toward the zero point.
Let's put off all these difficult discussions. They should wait until we're old.

Still with me? Good. Personally, I'd like to hear more about those sorcerers she mentioned earlier.

wLfPx.jpg

lWNCh.jpg

We, the magi of Tohsaka, are skilled at the transformation of power. We put our magical energy into jewels whenever we have free time.
To put it simply, the jewels are bullets and we are the gun.
The only other thing I can say I received from my father is the Magic Crest of the Tohsaka family engraved on my left arm.
In essence, this is the proof of the successor, and it's like a tattoo that condenses all the inherited magic of the Tohsaka family.

"…It hasn't started yet, but I guess it doesn't hurt to be careful."
I put the pendant, which can now be said to be my father's memento, into my pocket.

"This is the last resort. Pretty much anything is possible with the magical energy contained in this."
It's seven thirty.
I should get going or I'll be late for school.

Random

Arcane
Patron
xotot.jpg

"…Well, I don't really care. But not even a stray cat? What's up with that?"

I look up at the mansion I've grown so accustomed to over the years. Fuyuki is certainly a strange city with many Western-styled houses on this side of town and an area full of Japanese-styled houses just beyond the intersection.

I guess it's because many foreign families came to live here a long time ago, but even so, I don't see many foreigners around here now.
There's a foreigners' cemetery in the new city across the river, but it only has the graves of the first generation of families.

"Maybe the soil of Japan didn't suit them."
I'll go to the church and ask the priest sometime.
He knows about lots of boring things.

Wait, why do you have regular conversations with a priest? Are you asking to be violated?

Sst2n.jpg

"What's up? It's quieter than usual…"
It's especially quiet with no sense of the morning's noisiness.
At seven thirty, the street should be filled with students going to school and people going to work.

"…Well, I guess there are days like this."
Perhaps everyone slept in today.
It's unusually cold, so I bet everyone's still wrapped up in their warm beds.

BFU70.jpg

Every Day is Calm

UdYhG.jpg

od6pY.jpg

"Good morning, Mitsuzuri-san. Please excuse the abrupt question, but do you know what time it is?"

uoRiR.jpg
: "Huh? It's almost seven. Are you still asleep?"

She waves her hand in front of me, wondering if I'm alright.
She is one of the few friends who know I am not a morning person.
…In other words, she thinks I'm not fully awake yet.

"I guess the clocks at my house were an hour fast. All of them.
Not just my alarm clock, but the wall clocks as well."
Really, just what's going on here?
Did Father arrange for all the clocks to go mad when the pendant was removed from the basement?

ncRyE.jpg
: "Tohsaka?"

"Don't worry, it's nothing. Anyways, are you off to morning practice as usual?"

8D38E.jpg
: "Yeah. The archery club has lots of problem students and one good member quit. So I have to get them to look good to attract the new freshmen in April."

"I see. There's always something to worry about, isn't there?"

uoRiR.jpg
: "You can say that since it's none of your concern. Oh, do you wanna come? The guys will love it if you come and watch."

"--------Archery club, huh?"

I have three acquaintances in the archery club.
One is Ayako, the person before me right now, and the other two are people I barely talk to.
And for one of those two, the word acquaintance doesn't really suffice.
I became friends with Ayako because I had been watching the archery club from afar.

"All right. I'll go if all I have to do is watch. I have nothing else to do this early anyways."

fpWxp.jpg
: "Great, let's go right now then."

QG57S.jpg

fpWxp.jpg
: "Come on, there's still time before practice, so let's go in and have some tea."
Happy about something, Ayako drags me in by the hand.
It's a bad habit of hers. She talks like a guy when she's expressing her true feelings.

That talking like a guy thing that our fearless hero mentioned is referring to how, in Japanese, there are different ways for each gender to say a lot of the same stuff.

qHnNu.jpg

RL8qx.jpg

"…Huh, that's a really direct way of asking.
Judging from your tone of voice, you've already found yours?"

uoRiR.jpg
: "No comment. I'm going to keep it a secret until you tell me. So what's going on? Looking at your tired face, I feel like I'm right."

"Another no comment… but, you'd probably see through my lies. Unfortunately, not yet on my part.
How about you? I assume you don't have time to take it easy either."

8D38E.jpg
: "True, but things aren't looking good for me. I could get one right away, but it's not that kind of matter, you know? Our future depends on this, so I can't just compromise."

"I see. So you don't want to choose hastily and lose to me?"

aoTYY.jpg
: "Of course not. The important part is making you lose. What I get comes second."
She laughs boldly.

This is my kind of girl.

"--------Geez. We really are alike."

fpWxp.jpg
: "Yeah. When we first met, I warned you we'd have this kind of relationship."
Yes, she did indeed.

I was certainly surprised when at our first meeting, she said "We'll probably end up with a 'kill or be killed' relationship".

Or in other words, "Unless we go all out against each other, we'll never really be friends".

I agreed with her on that, and that's why we've had a friend-or-foe relationship for two years.

Women.

"By the way, why are we talking about this?"

uoRiR.jpg
: "Why? You're the one who started it, Tohsaka.
You said there's something wrong with a woman never having a boyfriend, so we decided to see which of us could get a boyfriend before the third year."

"…Oh yeah. Just tit for tat, I suppose. And did we say the loser would obey the winner for a day?"

I like where this is going.

fpWxp.jpg
: "Right. Even kids don't make promises like that nowadays, but it's not like we're sore losers.
Whatever the result, the loser will obediently follow the winner's orders. Just thinking about it gets me excited."

Oh my...

Ayako laughs.
Honestly.
She's so serious about this. Mitsuzuri Ayako is such a difficult person to deal with.

…Though, I can't wait to beat Ayako either, so neither of us are people you want to deal with.

"I see. But, Mitsuzuri-san? It's fine to enjoy yourself, but you should take care not to get your objectives wrong. You know that's not the only point of the contest, don't you?"

8D38E.jpg
: "I know. I can't call it a complete victory unless I beat you with a relationship you would really be jealous of. Well, that's the biggest problem for us. No matter how good a guy it is, there's no point if we can't bring ourselves to love him."

Ayako sighs heavily.
To my knowledge, Mitsuzuri Ayako is said to hate men.

Rumors are never to be trusted, however. As she suggested this match, rather than hating men, I think she just didn't have a chance.
--------But, that aside.

"Hold it. What do you mean, 'us'?
I'll say it right now, but I'm not cold-hearted like you. I'd have no problem loving a guy."

uoRiR.jpg
: "Oh, that's a lie. Or you're fooling yourself. There's no way you'd ever be concerned about a guy. You've never given one good response to any of the confessions made to you. If you had even the slightest interest, you'd think of going out with them. But you keep declining, so it must mean you're not interested in men."

"You're not thinking enough. Couldn't we say I'm declining because I already have someone I like?"

"Wow, that's a good answer. I like that, it's romantic."

Ayako nods seriously, not making fun of me.
Her sigh says, "wouldn't it be nice if that was the case."
…Geez.
I really can't keep anything from her.

"You're right, I think so too."
Well, it's exactly as she says.
I know myself how cold I am.

"I admit it. I know nothing when it comes to love and relationships."

Oh boy, here we go. I liked it better when she was talking about magic.

fpWxp.jpg
: "Exactly. You're the one who said we're alike. …Oh, it's almost seven. Let's leave the secret talk there. You never know when someone might walk in on us, and we should act like proper students."

"Well, I never knew you had social manners like that. It was worth getting up early just to hear that."

uoRiR.jpg
: "Heh, not so much as you. My social manners are nothing compared to yours. You hide yourself so much it almost seems like you're a different person."

Ayako gives an exaggerated sigh.
Both of the teas she made are now empty, and it's my turn to make it.

Tender Scenery

uoRiR.jpg
: "So why don't you join a club, Tohsaka? I won't listen to any lies about not having the athletic ability. I'm still bitter that I lost to you in all aspects in last year's physical testing."

"Oh? But you beat me in lung capacity. And also in weight."

Ice buuuuuurn!

fpWxp.jpg
: "Ahahaha! All right, I'm three kilograms heavier than you!

ncRyE.jpg
: …Hey, being heavier isn't something to be happy about, you fox!"
Ayako slams on the table.

"Be careful, you might spill the tea, Mitsuzuri-san. You're the captain, so you should treat this place with care."
"Shut up. I'm your rival first and captain of this place second.
Naturally, if there are no members around, I'll go after you."

Ayako looks at me with narrowed eyes.
This girl has her own sense of beauty and she always says,
"Beautiful people have to do some kind of martial arts."

She's a bold person experienced in most martial arts.
She joined the archery club with no experience and is now the captain as if it were only natural.
She's probably one of the top three people in the school you should never disobey, regardless of gender.

"Oh, isn't it a problem to claim you're not the captain if there are no members around?"

ncRyE.jpg
: "Of course not. I'm the captain in name only, so all I can do is keep an eye on the problem members.
There are people better than me, so it's not a very dignified captaincy."

"Really? But Fujimura-Sensei says that your skills are outstanding."

UZqnv.jpg
: "Ugh… Well, if she says so, that gives me some confidence. Yeah, I guess it's no good to think about people who don't come here any more. Yeah, if Fujimura-Sensei said that, I guess I should take being captain more seriously."

"That's right. Speaking of which, it's almost time for the club members to arrive, right? I'll get going but you stay and be a good captain."

uoRiR.jpg
: "What, you're not going to stay and watch?"
"I wouldn't understand. Watching from a distance is fine, but outsiders shouldn't be in the range, should they?"

Just as I rise, someone enters the range.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Never played this. The art compared to the anime. :O

Random

Arcane
Patron
eLTcN.jpg

"Well, I'll be going. See you later, Mitsuzuri-san."

aoTYY.jpg
: "Yeah, see you later, Tohsaka."
4hTua.jpg
: "...Thank you for coming, Tohsaka-senpai."

"Thanks. You take care too, Sakura."

Okay, so we've officially met three women so far and no other characters. Is this some kind of visual novel for womyn? The lesbo vibes are strong... Losing... energy... can't go on... need... emergency... testosterone...

Ld6k0.jpg

kBCpB.jpg

Halle-freaking-lujah.

"Good morning, Matou-kun. You're early today."

0brSE.jpg
: "Of course. As the captain, I have to come early as an example to others."

This smiling guy is Matou Shinji, of class 2-C.
He's the vice-captain of the archery club and owner of the hearts of half the girls in this school.

Kind of an idol, good looking, good grades, sociable, and kind to girls.

Amazing. So he's everything a nerd who would play this game isn't.

I'm not too well-informed in such areas, so I've only heard all this from my classmates.

Well then you should shut your whore mouth. Whore. Can I call you Ho? Short for Ho-saka.

"Really? I'm sorry to interrupt your good mood, but you're missing a word, Matou-kun. It's an important word, so I don't think you should forget it."

eVVrN.jpg
: "Hm? What do you mean missing a word?"

"You're missing the 'vice-' part, vice-captain. You should watch out. It makes no difference whether you're the captain or the vice-captain, but if you put a lot of weight on it, people might think you're concerned about it, right?"

DGBrv.jpg
: "…You're right. I'll be careful from now on. Thank you, Tohsaka."

"I've done nothing to earn your thanks, but I guess it doesn't matter if you think otherwise."
Bidding him goodbye, I leave the range.

eVVrN.jpg
: "Hold on. You came to watch, right? Then you should stay and watch. You're very welcome here."

"I'd rather not. I don't want to interrupt the morning practice."

4nMQ7.jpg
: "Don't worry about that. If anyone's bothering you, I'll just kick them out, so come in for a while."

My god, that greasy-as-fuck grin. You should abort, Ho-saka. Get the hell out of there.

"Besides, it's not like I'm interested in archery.
I don't like watching people I don't know practicing."

0brSE.jpg
: "What? You didn't have any interest in archery?
…Oh, so that's why you were watching us after school."
……
I don't know what he thinks the reason was, but he's undoubtedly making a big misunderstanding.

UJFlv.jpg

B8JzR.jpg

His smile carries a sense of superiority.

0brSE.jpg
: "I guess I misunderstood. I thought you liked archery, but you actually have no interest in it, right? So why were you watching the range?"

"-----------------------"
Oh, I see now.
Yes, the conversation could certainly have been taken that way.

Damn it, you dumb broad. Crush the bastard's heart and move on, you've got plenty of experience doing it, right?

GKl7v.jpg

"Honestly, it seems you still don't understand.
…It's not my style, but I'll put it in terms even you can understand.
Matou-kun, I'm saying that I have even less interest in you than in archery. Frankly, I never even knew you were in the range, and I'm not about to start looking out for you now either."

"--------W-What…!"
As if I've angered him, he reaches out for me violently.
I easily avoid it and turn my back on him.

Atta girl.

"Goodbye, Matou-kun. It's good to have some ego, but you shouldn't let it grow too large."

"Tohsaka, you...!" He sounds like he wants to say more, but it doesn't seem like he's going to scream or come after me.

…Geez, he really is all show.
If he was just a little bit more mature, he wouldn't be so much trouble for the people around him.

OYmkE.jpg

Every Day is Calm

Tcrtn.jpg

av29h.jpg

The strange woman seems to be crying of happiness.
…It's hard to believe, but this person of surpassing friendliness and cheerfulness is a teacher at this school.

"Uh, Sensei… is there a way to greet you improperly?"

Clxpt.jpg
: "Of course there is. First years always greet me properly, but the older ones never greet me by my last name. You shouldn't copy their rudeness, okay?"

"…I don't really understand, but I won't be rude to you, Sensei."

hnFUL.jpg
: "Good girl. Oh, I wish everyone was as good as you, Tohsaka-san."

Fujimura-Sensei waves goodbye and leaves.
Fortunately, she isn't my homeroom teacher.
Fujimura-Sensei teaches English.
She has such a kind face, but she also has a black belt in kendo, and I hear she was respected as the "Tiger of Fuyuki" in her student days.

…Though, that's a bit strange.
Wouldn't a tiger normally be feared, not respected?
Apparently in a good mood, Fujimura-Sensei heads for the archery range.
For some reason, she's in charge of the archery club and not the kendo club.

Archery this, archery that... Is every character a part of the archery club?

It's almost seven thirty.

I can see a few students doing club activities outside, but there's no sign of anyone in the school building.
But still…

BhMBS.jpg

H7yJw.jpg
: "-------Gah, Tohsaka."
I bump into someone who greets me rudely.

"Oh, Student President. Are you patrolling the school building this early in the morning? Or perhaps taking care of the club rooms? Not that I care, but you're certainly diligent."

188iK.jpg
: ""Huh! What are you planning? What are you doing here? You're not in any clubs."

"I just felt like it. I don't get up early like your family does, Ryudou-kun."

JX7JC.jpg
: "……"
The Student President makes an unhappy face.
For some reason, I seem to be his enemy.
I really don't know why.
…Perhaps it's just because I said "skip the temples, they're boring" in a meeting to plan for the field trip.

Or maybe you're just a bitch. Ever thought of that possibility?

eDTS2.jpg
: "Of course. This is my job, so naturally I know about everyone."

"I see. So you don't even have to ask, right? I don't know why you're asking, but isn't it bad to force student council jobs onto outsiders?
You should collect information on your own. Don't rely on outsiders like me."

b0CmW.jpg
: "Idiot, how are you an outsider!?
Don't think I don't know how you worked your evil deeds on our Treasurer, you fox!"

"Oh, you misunderstand. I was merely working out how much each club should receive because Mitsuzuri-san asked me to.
I think it's only right for students to take an interest in where their money is going."

S8Bu7.jpg
: "…H-How can damaging our Treasurer's psyche enough to keep him off school for a week be 'only right' for any student? As always, I'm amazed by your way of thinking."

"The same to you. You should keep a watch on those under you.
It's not fair to favor the non-sporting clubs."

188iK.jpg
: "I know that. That's why I had intended to deal with the matter myself-----------"

Yv2BY.jpg

WU2YQ.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, our protagonist. Hold your applause, we have canned studio audience applause for just such an occasion.

S8Bu7.jpg
: "Ah, sorry Emiya. I'm the one who asked for help, but it seems like you're doing all the work. Forgive me."

l6vEK.jpg
: "Don't worry about it. So, where next? There's not much time left."

eDTS2.jpg
: "Yeah, the AV room is next. It seems it's been working badly for a while, but it finally died."

l6vEK.jpg
: "It can't be fixed if it's dead. It would be quicker to just buy a new one."

S8Bu7.jpg
: "…True, but it'd help if you could take a look at it. It might be dead to my eyes, but only faking it to yours."

l6vEK.jpg
: "I see. Well, let's take a look."

The Student President leaves with the male student.
"-----------------"
My thoughts have stopped at this sudden event.

EvIlK.jpg

YmLj3.jpg

…Was that supposed to be a greeting?
The student whom the president called "Emiya" leaves quickly.
Emiya… that would be Emiya Shirou, from class 2-C.

"…That's fine, but…"
How can I put it?
I just think it's hard to tell whether a guy who looks at home holding a wrench is useful or scary.

tU7cy.jpg

Fourth period ends and the noisy lunch break begins. Our school has a cafeteria, but half the students stay in the classroom.

iYK5b.jpg

"Thank you, Saegusa-san, but I'm afraid I'm eating at the cafeteria today. I slept in this morning and didn't have time to make lunch."

pdPQn.jpg
: "Oh, I see… I'm sorry to invite you without realizing that. I guess I'm being a bother."

Saegusa-san looks downcast as if apologizing.
She's one of the calmest in a class full of calm students, and a kind person who cares about me for some reason.

"I don't think so. It just happened that way today, so don't worry about it. Please ask me again tomorrow."
I smile at her from the bottom of my heart.

8x14u.jpg
: "Oh, yes. I guess even you sleep in from time to time."
My smile must have relaxed her as she returns it with her own.

"----------------------------"
Her smile is cute.
Saegusa Yukika-san isn't the most beautiful person, but her smile warms the hearts of everyone around her.

"Yes, that's right. I try not to let it show, but I actually sleep in quite often. I'm not in any clubs because I can't get up in the mornings."

Saegusa-san's expression reveals her surprise.
Her presence really relaxes me, but I can't just have fun talking.
If I keep talking to people like this, I'm bound to reveal my true self.

"Well, I'm off to the cafeteria. Enjoy your lunch, Saegusa-san."

8x14u.jpg
: "Yes. You too, Tohsaka-san."
We exchange a warm goodbye and she returns to her group of girls.

It seems she's eating with Makidera-san and Himuro-san.

Oh yeah, Saegusa-san is the manager of the track team.
Makidera and Himuro-san are the track team's hopefuls.
Makidera is a friend I sometimes go window-shopping with, but I don't know Himuro-san that well.

lceYT.jpg
: "Oh, you were rejected, Yukicchi? Didn't I tell you Tohsaka wouldn't bring lunch? If you want to eat with her, you'll have to make her lunch too."

gSfiK.jpg
: "…Maki, can't we just go to the cafeteria too, then?"

Dear lord, the female characters are multiplying. How the hell am I supposed to keep track of all these names?!

XMF1c.jpg

lceYT.jpg
: "Like last vacation! We went to hang out together, but she's the only one who got any attention. Don't you just hate people who have to show off their beauty like that?"

Makidera speaks without thinking as the girls surround Saegusa-san's desk.
In contrast to her nasty mouth, she's a Japanese beauty who looks wonderful in a kimono.

gSfiK.jpg
: "…Um, I think that Tohsaka-sama can hear you."
In contrast to Makidera's loudness, Himuro is the cool, steady type.

jtVhF.jpg
: "Ack, crap, Tohsaka heard that? Ugh, she's really glaring at me…!"

pdPQn.jpg
: "Uh, I-I don't think she's glaring at you, really…"

jtVhF.jpg
: "She is. She's scariest when she's smiling. Come on, take it easy Tohsaka. It's us we're talking about, right? I bought you taiyaki, remember?"

She waves her chopsticks, puffing out her cheeks.
The knowledge that this girl's hobby is collecting wind chimes just shows that the world is far too complex.

…Anyways, it's not good for Saegusa-san to keep watching this.
She's panicking, seeing Makidera continually talking bad about me.

"Don't worry, Saegusa-san.
And Makidera-san? I'm the one who paid, and it was crepes, not taiyaki. You should fix that habit of yours of changing the facts you remember, or I might have to reconsider things next time, okay?"

jtVhF.jpg
: "Ugh. That smile is really scary."

Makidera hides behind the lid of her lunch box.
Saying goodbye to the three of them, I leave the classroom.

gDiU4.jpg

yYWEf.jpg

"...Why am I getting mad about this?"
I guess I'm still tired from last night.
The cafeteria would be too much effort, so I'll just get a drink and some bread and eat on the roof.

UtQer.jpg

"Well, lunch comes first."
I start on my tomato sandwich and hot lemon drink.
It's a simple lunch, but the taste is much improved in this peace and quiet.

"-------------------Phew."
I finish my sandwich and my hot lemon drink.
…I'm a bit tired.
It's a difficult balance, being a good student while trying not to be too social.

It's my vanity… no, my conviction, that I must be number-one both academically and physically.
If I am to be a student, I want to be the best, and it's unthinkable for me to dishonor the Tohsaka name.
So that's why I'm a perfect student, flawless in all aspects.

But at the same time, I also have a dangerous job as a magus, so I shouldn't associate with normal people.
Normally, any magus whose identity is discovered has no choice but to eliminate the witness.
…I don't want to do that.
So inevitably, my social life has become a shallow one.

I only hang out with Makidera on weekends, and I try to refuse invitations from friendly people like Saegusa-san.
Even though I'm the best honor student in the school, I live trying not to become too important to anyone.
Though, sometimes when I'm tired like this, it makes me think that this life is rather boring.

"Oh, it's time already?"
I finish my hot lemon drink and stand up.
I should stop drowning in sentimentality and go back to being the usual Tohsaka Rin once I go down the stairs-----------

gHkPb.jpg

x0AB7.jpg

4Zqr4.jpg

"I see, that's good. Well, I'll make up for it some other time."

fpWxp.jpg
: "All right. Don't be put off and come by again!"

qzR8N.jpg

imHu7.jpg

"It's me. I'm sure you know, but tomorrow is the deadline, Rin.
It's a problem for me if you take it easy. There are only two remaining seats.
I must ensure all the Masters are arranged quickly."
This priest shows no mercy as he gets right to the point.

"If you wish to abandon your right to become a Master, contact me today. It takes some time to dispatch a substitute magus."
Liar. Someone like you would be able to arrange a substitute in no time.

"You already show signs of the Command Spell. Quickly, summon your Servant and open the Command Spell.
Unless, of course, you're not planning to be a part of this Holy Grail War. If you value your life, you should run to the church quickly."

The message ends there.
…His words are concise.
He's telling me that if I am to fight, I should get ready by today and if I'm not going to fight, I'm an eyesore and should just retire quickly.

"…Heh, you don't have to tell me that."
Well, it can't be helped.
Today is as late as the deadline can be extended.
Fortunately, I was able to decode Father's will last night.
My preparations are ready.
All that remains is-----------yes, obtaining the qualification to enter this fight…

Oh? Fight? My interest is finally piqued.

"The Holy Grail War... a fight to the death for the one and only Holy Grail. A ritual of the Holy Grail passed down for hundreds of years, huh?"

What

The magi who participate in the Holy Grail War are called Masters.
This is not so much a rank, rather it indicates "one who is in control."

The requirement to enter the Holy Grail War.
That is to summon a familiar called a Servant, and to form a contract with it.
No matter how great a magus a person is, one is not considered a Master until he has a Servant under him.

Servants are beings very different from normal familiars.
The methods of summoning and controlling them are different as well.
A magus planning to enter the Holy Grail War usually prepares a catalyst to summon a Servant, but…

"…Really, I wish Father could have left me something with a connection to Saber."
I don't have anything with any "connection".
I can summon a Servant.
If I wanted to, I could summon one right now and form a contract with it.
The town's sacred ground is under our jurisdiction.
As the daughter of the Tohsaka family which has protected this town through the generations, I will not lose to magi from elsewhere.

But that said… I guess you can't go out to sea without a compass. Or perhaps I should say things are completely unplanned?

"…Servants are attracted to symbols.
If you want to summon a strong Servant, you need something that has a connection to that Servant."
In other words, a sword, armor, talisman, bone of that Servant, or something like that… something valuable beyond belief.

"…I was hoping there'd be something like that in Father's will, but… No, this is a great trump card too. But still…"
The pendant I found last night in the basement is one of the best Artifacts in its class.
It's great in its own way.
It's great, but it won't help me to summon my servant.

"…Huh! It's fine. I can do it without help from that sort of thing. After all, there can't exist any Masters capable of handling Saber other than myself."

----------All right, I've decided.
I don't want to make Kirei complain any more by postponing it any longer, and it's not like me to wait until the last second.
It'll come down to just trying it.
I'll face the summoning tonight with full power and obtain Saber by force…!
~~~

End of update, this is a lot of stuff that I had to type out and even more for y'all to read.

Erebus

Arcane
Please tell me the intro is now over and you're going to be able to make a choice. Even a really dumb one.

The way japanese games/mangas mistreat the english language (especially in their titles) is always hilarious. What does "Fate/Stay Night" even mean ?

I actually watched the F/SN anime quite a while ago. I don't remember the details, but I found it rather uneven : some parts were entertaining, others were meh.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Please tell me the intro is now over and you're going to be able to make a choice. Even a really dumb one.

The way japanese games/mangas mistreat the english language (especially in their titles) is always hilarious. What does "Fate/Stay Night" even mean ?

I actually watched the F/SN anime quite a while ago. I don't remember the details, but I found it rather uneven : some parts were entertaining, others were meh.

Hate to break it to ya, but the prologue has no choices to make in it, and there's a few days left before it's over. The first day is the most info-dense one, though, and we're nearly through that.

And yeah, the title makes no sense. Just getting that out of the way right now. It's just what some Japanese guy thought would sound cool.

I'll continue updating soon.

Tsukasa Buddha

Liturgist
Are the torsos too short on the males, or is it just me?

I remember seeing the anime. It was standard harem crap.

Random

Arcane
Patron
DOLQT.jpg

The clock is about to strike two.
This is the best timeframe for my magical energy.
The peak of my magical energy is at exactly two in the morning.
Since this will be my first and last chance, I can't afford any mistakes.

"--------Withdrawal within elimination, engrave four areas and surround with the summoning circle… right."

Gx6Y1.jpg

OA4n8.jpg

Still, I continue with the greatest concentration.
I draw the magic circle, normally written in blood, with my melted jewels.
…I'm using half the jewels I've saved up, so I can't fail for financial reasons too.

SzhW3.jpg

…It's almost two in the morning.
Completing the magic circle passed down through the Tohsaka family, I face it with all my power.

"Anfang."

I flip the formless switch inside me.
I feel a sensation as if the contents of my body are being exchanged.
The usual nerves invert into circuits transmitting magical energy.
From this point, Tohsaka Rin is not human.
I shall become a part of the tool to attain mystic power.

ZEDdy.jpg

Being filled is the same as being destroyed? What?

"----------------------------------------------------"
The power that fills me is pure magical energy from the air.
It is absorbed by my body, which has become a circuit, and transformed into a different form of magical energy.
The body of a magus is nothing more than a circuit.
A circuit to connect the spiritual and the real.
We call the result of this, the many mystic occurrences it has made real, magic.

…My body is burning hot.
An illusion of myself growing horns.
An illusion of wings growing out of my back.
An illusion of scales forming on my hands.
A sensation of being in water.
…I start to sweat.
Stab, stab. Swords are driven into my body.

This is the pain caused by my human body rejecting itself as the Magic Circuit.
No matter how great a magus you are, a human is human.
This pain will result as long as people use magic in a human body.

4b0Jr.jpg

The harvested mana in my blood.
If that is burning iron, then the Magic Crest itself is like a nerve made of thorns.
It runs through my body like a centipede with fangs----------

"------------------------------------------------"
I lose myself within that pain.

And at the same time, I feel that I have reached my goal.
My overly sensitive hearing keeps recognizing the sound of the clock in the living room.
Ten more seconds until two in the morning.
The power within me is perfect and flawless.

"--------------------------------------I announce."
Let's start.
I take the mana I've absorbed and turn it into "fixed" magical energy.
And now…
I have only to empty out the mana within me to move the engine called the summoning circle…

"---------------------I announce.
Thy body shall be under my command, my fate shall be determined by thy sword.
Follow the call of the Holy Grail. If thou wouldst obey this mind and this reason, then answer my call."

dFRf5.jpg

"Make an oath here.
I am the one who shall become the virtue of all afterworld.
I am the one who shall lay out the evil of all afterworld.
Thou art Seven Heavens clad in the Three Great Words.
Emerge from the ring of control, guardian of balance…!"

gozCR.jpg

"------Perfect...! I've drawn the strongest card for sure...!"

Geez, I can't wait for my vision to return. My vision should recover in a matter of seconds and there will be the summoned Servant right in front of me...

fooEw.jpg

"Huh…?"
Nothing is nothing.
There is no change.
I've raged out that much ether and nothing has formed.
And on top of that…
I hear an explosion from the living room.

Wb2xO.jpg

"…The door's broken!?"
The living room door is crooked.
There's no point in turning the handle.
The door doesn't open, even as I push and pull it.
"…Geez, you're in my way…!"
With a crash, I kick through the door into the living room.

"..."
And, the instant I walk into the living room, I understand everything.

huzsE.jpg

RDmLV.jpg

Well, this guy looks classy as fuck. Maybe things are looking up?

"……"
But there's one thing more important than that.
The wall clock is still ticking away time, having escaped destruction.
…That reminds me.
Yes, that's right. Come to think of it, every clock in my house was an hour early today for some reason.
In other words, it's one in the morning right now.
There's actually one more hour until my magical energy is at its peak.

"…I did it again."
I can do most things just like everyone else, but I have one hereditary curse.
That is, to make the biggest mistakes at the most important times…

"…Well, what's done is done. I should reflect on my actions."
I am mad at my own stupidity.
Still irritated, I glare at the man sitting there like he's important.

"So. What are you?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "Those are your first words? I guess I've been called to a terrible Master."

The man in red gives an exaggerated shrug.

AEN5y.jpg
: "Maybe I'm the most unlucky of all," he adds.

...I do declare.
This guy has a twisted personality.

"------------------------"
But this would be the Servant?
Since they call it a familiar, I thought it was something shapeless, but this is human-like.

…No, that's wrong.
Just standing here, I can tell this thing has outrageous amounts of magical energy.
Don't be fooled by its appearance.
This is certainly an existence far beyond human, a "ghost" that has reached the level of spirits as a human.

"---------------------------------------"
I can't be overwhelmed forever.
That thing is mine.
So, I'll have to change my thinking from now on.

"----------Just to check, but you are my Servant, right?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "That's what I'd like to ask. Are you my Master? This is the first time I've been summoned so roughly, so to be honest, I still can't grasp the situation."

"This is the first time for me as well. I'll have to refuse that kind of a question."

AEN5y.jpg
: "I see. But when I was summoned, you were not in front of me. Explain to me what's going on."

"Really? Don't joke around and tell me you're like a newborn chick who can only determine your Master when you open your eyes."

The unknown Servant frowns.
It's a rather vague response, and I cannot tell if he's angry at my complaint or impressed at how correct I am.

"Well, anyway, what I'm asking is. You're my servant and not anyone else's, right?
Until we clarify this, I have no obligations to answer any other questions."

AEN5y.jpg
: "…That's what you say after failing your summoning? In this case, I think there are other things you should say."

"There's nothing else. We have to clearly determine who's the master first."

AEN5y.jpg
: "--------Hm."
The Servant raises his brow.
Perhaps because it was an imperfect summoning, this guy isn't even trying to hide his dissatisfaction with me.

AEN5y.jpg
: "So, we have to define who's master, huh? Your actions are full of mistakes, but it seems your mouth is rather better.
-------Yes, I certainly agree with that opinion. Unless we make it clear who is the stronger and who is the weaker, it'll be hard to handle each other."

The Servant looks at me meaningfully as he lays on the rubble.

"Who's the weaker…?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "Yeah. I am a Servant, so I'll accept this Master-Servant relationship. But that's only according to the contract, right?
Who's superior and if the other is worthy to fight alongside with. That's a different story.
------------Well? Are you a magus worthy to be my Master, young lady?"

The Servant grins.
He smashes my house and that attitude like he's king makes me angry enough, but now he asks me if I'm worthy to be a Master…!?

"--------------I'm not asking for your opinions.
All I'm asking is if you are my Servant or not."
I glare at him.
I will not lose to someone who looks down on me this frankly.

AEN5y.jpg
: "Hm, I see, I see. So you're saying such an obvious question isn't even worth answering? How courageous. Your spirit is that of a splendid Master, but…"

"I s-a-i-d, don't get the order wrong…!
It's the duty of the summoner to confirm first. Now answer me. You are my Servant, right…!?"
I step forward, ready to attack depending on his answer.

AEN5y.jpg
: "-------------Geez. You are a stubborn young lady. We're not getting anywhere this way.
…I guess it can't be helped. Let's say I am your Servant. In that case, would you be my Master? Just hypothetically."

"O-Of course…! If you're my Servant summoned by me, who else but me would be your Master…!?"
I somehow cool my boiling head and glare at this rude guy.

AEN5y.jpg
: "Oh, I see. Well, let's suppose that's true.
Then, where's the proof that you are my Master?"
The Servant talks nonsense, grinning.
He must think I'll panic about this proof of Master thing.

"Here. This is proof that I'm your Master, right?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "Hm?"

I show him the Command Spell on the back of my right hand.
Heh, don't think I don't know anything.
My father talked a lot about Masters, so I know about the Command Spell.

"Are you satisfied? Are you still going to complain?"
I thrust before him the proof that I'm a Master.
The Servant in the rubble looks confused, then…

AEN5y.jpg
: "…Man. Are you serious, young lady?"
His face clouds with discontent.

"Wha… what do you mean, am I serious?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "I mean, that way of thinking. So you're a Master if you have a Command Spell? A Command Spell is only a tool that governs the Servant.
Geez, you act like a Master just because of that?
What I wanted to see was, are you worthy for me to pledge my loyalty to?"

"Ah… uh."
T-That's true, but… you'd normally think of the Command Spell when talking about the proof that one's a Master.

"…So, what? I'm not fit to be a Master then?"

AEN5y.jpg
: "I'd like that, but no go. Since you have the Command Spell, it seems you are my summoner. It's unbelievable, but it seems you really are my Master."
He gives an exaggerated shrug of his shoulders.

"……"

---------This is bad.
My boiling point is so low, it seems I won't be able to cool down in time.

AEN5y.jpg
: "I'm not happy, but I'll accept it.
You're my Master for now. But I have conditions as well. From now on, I will ignore your opinions. I will decide how to fight, and you will follow my plans.
This is the best I'll compromise on. You don't mind that, right, young lady?"

"-------------------"

Uh, I think this is it, Father.
I'm almost at my limit.

"…I see. You accept unhappily, but what do you mean about ignoring my opinions? You're my Servant, right?"
I ask him in a trembling voice, just in case.
There's the issue of the Command Spell too, so this is my last warning, the biggest compromise I can make.

And to that…
AEN5y.jpg
: "Yeah, in name only. So, formally I'll obey you. But I'm the one doing the fighting. You can hide in the basement here and stay there until the Holy Grail War ends.
That way, even an inexperienced person like you should make it out alive."
He tells me he has no hope for me with eyes full of disdain.

"…!!"
AEN5y.jpg
: "Hm, are you angry? No, I will respect your position, of course. I am called to help my Master win after all.
My victory is yours, and I shall give you everything that I earn in this fight. You shouldn't have any complaints about that, right?"
"---------------------I…"

AEN5y.jpg
: "You wouldn't be able to use the command spell anyway.
Well, you can leave the rest to me. You just worry about your own safe...ty...?!"

"I'm pissed-------!
Fine, if you say that, I'll use it!"

PaD44.jpg

AEN5y.jpg
: "Wha… you're not…!?"

"Exactly what you're thinking, you rude scum!
"Vertrag…! Ein neuer Nagel Ein neues Gesetz Ein neues Verbrechen---------!"
(I announce to the Command Spell! By the order of the Holy Grail, give the law of obedience to this one, my Servant!)

AEN5y.jpg
: "You idi...! Wait, are you insane, Master?! Who would use the Command Spell for something like this...!"

"Shut up!
Look, you're my Servant! You have to obey every single one of my orders, okay?!"

AEN5y.jpg
: "W-What?!"

Epk3Q.jpg

AEN5y.jpg
: "A-Are you not even thinking…! Using the Command Spell for such a general thing…!"

Huh, it's too late now.
…First of all, I wasn't expecting this either.
I hate myself so much, I want to die.
To go ahead and use the important Command Spell for something like this…!

Tender Scenery

chh72.jpg

uyX1l.jpg

fz2Kv.jpg
: "Just to make sure… do you understand how important the Command Spell is, Master?"

"I-I know. It's the right to give your Servant three orders, right? What about it?"

dCFID.jpg
: "…Geez. Look, the Command Spell forces the Servant to act according to an order.
It doesn't merely stop their actions, it strengthens their actions as well.
For example, I can't instantly teleport to somewhere far away. But if you command me to 'go' using your Command Spell, then assuming we have enough magical energy, such things become possible.
This is what is meant by unconditional obedience. It is the three crystallizations of a great magic that allows a Servant to surpass limits on their ability even they can't control. Well, only two now."

"I-I know that. It's fine, we still have two and that order I gave you isn't useless, either."

fz2Kv.jpg
: "…Man. This was certainly a miscalculation on my part.
The Command Spell works poorly on broad orders.
For broad and long-lasting orders like 'protect me through this' or 'win this battle', the power of the Command Spell weakens. The force will last a long time, but since the associated pain is weak, some Servants will be able to disobey.

O95n0.jpg
: In contrast, a single, simple order like 'deliver the next blow with all your power', or 'don't break that glass' is absolute, and even the most powerful Servants will find it hard to disobey.
…So, I think you can guess what I'd like to say next, Master."

"…I get the idea. So you're saying a broad, long-lasting order is meaningless, right?
If the effect is weak, Servants can act against it. It's better to make a single absolute order than to give weak ones, right?"

vUjE1.jpg
: "Right. Basically, the Command Spell is a way to bring about miracles beyond our abilities. Stupidly using it for orders that can be achieved by other means is unforgivable.
The Command Spell you just used is exactly that. Whether or not I'll obey you is something that we could have solved by discussion. Even with the command, something like 'obey my every order completely' is beyond even a hundred Command Spells."

"Ugh… so the Command Spell I just used was meaningless…?"

d9Mtt.jpg
: "…Normally, the answer would be yes. But it seems that your abilities as a magus are on a completely different level."
"…?"
Is he happy or unhappy?
The Servant has a smile on his face as he sighs.

"On a completely different level… you mean…
Hey, you. Tell me honestly your condition right now."
I have a gut feeling, so I ask him boldly.

dCFID.jpg
: "Yeah, that's what I mean by miscalculation.
That Command Spell should have only changed my attitude to 'well, I'll respect Master's opinions slightly'.
But right now, I feel a strong bind from your words. If I disagree with you, let's see… it seems like I drop a rank.
In other words, it's like my body feels heavy when I go against your will."
The Servant shrugs his shoulders as if to say it's a pain.

"---------So…"
…That means the Command Spell wasn't meaningless, and it worked in my favor?
But this guy speaks as sarcastically as always, and it doesn't seem like he's any weaker at all.
Though, even if he is weakened when going against me, I doubt even ten of me could take him on…

O95n0.jpg
: "Let me take back what I said before, Master.
You are young, but you are an outstanding magus.
It was my mistake to patronize you and try to keep you out of the battle. I apologize for my rudeness."
He adjusts his stance and bows his head politely.

"Uh----------hey, stop it. We argued a lot, but they say both sides are usually at fault in this sort of thing…"

2FX5v.jpg
: "I see. I'm glad you understand."

"…You changed your tune quickly."

2yddP.jpg
: "Well, it was a miscalculation, but not an unwelcome one. If you're this talented, I have no objections to your involvement in the battle."

"Huh…?"
Uh… he seems to be saying he's found a powerful Master, so…
"So you accept me as Master even without the Command Spell?"

O95n0.jpg
: "Of course. I wasn't clear back then as I was just summoned, but we are completely connected now. If you're really a magus, you should be able to feel the connection from the contract."

"Contract…?"
Hm, now that he mentions it, my body does feel strange.
It feels like the nerves, once closed within me, are now pointing outwards.
…And on top of that, part of my magical energy is flowing into the man in front of me.

"I see. Servants are called by the Holy Grail, but what keeps them in this world is…"

O95n0.jpg
: "Right, the power of the Master. Servants stay in this world by receiving magical energy from their Masters."

O95n0.jpg
: "The magical energy you supply is sufficient. There might be problems with your experience, but your ability is outstanding.
A normal magus would pass out after summoning a Servant, but you're still full of energy.
The Command Spell earlier, and this amount of magical energy… you're definitely a first class Master."

"…! H-Heh! Praising me now won't do you any good."
A bit embarrassed, I avert my gaze.

…I wasn't really expecting this.
I'm forcing him to obey with the Command Spell, but for a Servant, a being superior to humans, to honestly accept that I am his Master…

"…So? Which Servant are you?"
I collect myself and finally get to the point.

2FX5v.jpg
: You can't tell from my appearance, huh? Ah, excellent."
……
No, I was just mistaken before.
This guy is certainly making fun of me.

"…All right, this is a question from your Master.
You're not Saber, are you?"

d9Mtt.jpg
: "I'm sorry, but I don't have a sword."

…As I suspected.
This is natural, though. I mistook the time, the summoning circle didn't work, and I even summoned the Servant to the wrong place.
It was all too clumsy to call Saber, the strongest Servant.

"…What a blunder. Using that many jewels and not calling Saber… it's too appalling to face."

O95n0.jpg
: "…Hmph. Well, I'm sorry I'm not Saber."

"Huh? Uh, well, it was a big mistake and I regret it, but it's my fault, so…"

Toi9Q.jpg
: "Yeah, Archer isn't too flashy, I know.
All right, I'll make you regret your abuse later on. And I won't accept any apologies when that time comes."

"…Huh?"
…This is unexpected.
The unknown Servant seems disappointed by my fixation on Saber.

K5zj0.jpg

Archer protests with narrow eyes.
The air he carries is offensive, but his behavior seems childlike and pure.
…You know…
He might be a pretty good guy.

"All right. Then be sure you make me regret it later on, Archer.
If you do, I'll honestly apologize."

d9Mtt.jpg
: "Yeah, and don't you forget it, Master. Know how great the one you summoned is and be grateful.
Though, even if you do apologize then, I probably won't be satisfied."
Archer grins again.
Huh, maybe he does have a twisted personality after all.

"Well, fine. Leaving that aside, which heroic spirit are you?"

d9Mtt.jpg
: "---------------"
Archer doesn't answer.
His sarcastic tone disappears, and he frowns seriously.

"Archer? Your Master is asking you a question."
"That's… a secret."
"Huh…?"
"I can't answer the question of who I am, because------------"
"Hold on. If it's for a stupid reason, I'll be pissed."

j4mF4.jpg
: "----------------------It's…"
Oh, that face again.
Archer must be really troubled as he opens his mouth like he'd rather not say anything.

O95n0.jpg
: "----------It's because I don't know myself."
…Wait, what was that..?

"Whaaaaaaat!? Are you making fun of me!?"

O95n0.jpg
: "…I didn't mean to insult you, Master.
But this is what you get for your failed summoning. It seems my memory is confused. I know who I am, but things like my name and origin are a bit vague… Well, they're trivial things to be missing, so we shouldn't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it? Of course I'm worried about it!
If I don't know which heroic spirit you are, I can't tell how strong you are!"

2yddP.jpg
: "Oh, that's no problem. It's a trivial matter."

"Trivial, you say? How can I make a plan when I don't know how strong my partner is!? There's no way we can fight like this!"

Qu9sy.jpg

Straightforwardly.
The knight in red looks at me with absolute confidence and trust.

I call bullshit on him not knowing who he is. That kind of smugness...

"Wha…"
My thoughts freeze.
There's no dishonesty in Archer's words.
He thinks more highly of my power than I do, even though we've only just met.

"---------------------------"
…My face is burning.
Geez, I'm definitely blushing.
Why am I so weak against unexpected things?

Surrounded by Smiling Faces

"…Well, fine. It'll make no difference that no one will know your true identity. They do say that to fool your enemies, you must first fool your allies…"
I say this to hide my embarrassment, looking away from Archer.
Well, I can find out later how good a Servant he is.
For now, I have a higher priority.

"All right. I shall not question you about your true identity for now.
So Archer, here's your first task."

kQJl1.jpg
: "Already? You are aggressive.
So, who's our enemy--------"
As he's asking, I throw a dustpan and broom in front of him.

lKDqL.jpg

O95n0.jpg
: "Hold on. Just what do you think a Servant is?"

"A familiar, right? He's a bit insolent, so he's difficult to control."

tUa8V.jpg
: "------------------------"
Archer swallows his words.
I don't intend to take back my words, and I do have a trump card.

fz2Kv.jpg
: "Objection. I refuse such an ord--------"

"Really? This is an order as a Master. Doesn't your body feel heavy when you go against your Master's wishes?"

VdsZ4.jpg
: "Ugh."

"Well, I'm sure it's nothing to you, but the penalty would continue until you clean up the living room. Won't it be dangerous to fight in such a condition from tomorrow?"

"Ugh."
He groans for a few seconds, clenching the broom.

The Servant in the red coat, Archer, closes his eyes in dismay.

d9Mtt.jpg
: "Understood. Damn you, Master."
He acknowledges my request gracefully.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Well.
It's getting late, so I should rest for tonight.
I can decide about how to treat him after I wake up.

r0MxO.jpg

ZcQhK.jpg

FJRsJ.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
Archer is kind of a dick. Also, he really doesn't look much like himself.

I'll be curious to see how it goes. From what I've read, three main paths are possible in the game. I have no clue as to how you find yourself on one of them, though.

Mephion

Novice
A great visual novel ( only read a couple of them but this is the best one ). How are you going to play it ? Only the first path ? All 3 of them ? Any bad endings ?

No matter what you do it is going to be a lot of work, hope you manage to finish it as I love the last path ( the second one was also nice )

And congratulations, you made me write my first post here :)

Random

Arcane
Patron
A great visual novel ( only read a couple of them but this is the best one ). How are you going to play it ? Only the first path ? All 3 of them ? Any bad endings ?

No matter what you do it is going to be a lot of work, hope you manage to finish it as I love the last path ( the second one was also nice )

And congratulations, you made me write my first post here :)

I'm gonna try to do all three routes, my stamina be damned. As for bad endings, if you guys make a decision that causes a game over, its your own damn fault. I'll just reload back to the decision and we'll try again.

I suppose congratulations are in order for finally exiting lurkerdom. It's an honor to pull someone as venerable as yourself into posting.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Let's continue.

~~~
XtPvA.jpg

iBF2J.jpg

WF1VA.jpg

It is said that the Holy Grail is in the land of Fuyuki, and that many magi have fought each other here in the past.
They only had one purpose... to obtain the Noble Phantasm called the Holy Grail.

s6U2L.jpg

It is said that the Holy Grail can grant any wish.

iet7J.jpg

NqrtZ.jpg

Only one magus will obtain the Holy Grail.
And so, each of them treated the other six, once allies, now as enemies, and a gruesome fight began.
This is the ritual called the Holy Grail War, a competition between magi for the Holy Grail.

The magi chosen by the Holy Grail are called Masters, and each Master receives a powerful familiar called a Servant by the grace of the Holy Grail.

--------------There are two proofs that one is a Master.
Summoning a Servant and making it obey.
And obtaining the three Command Spells that can order the Servant.

The first goes without saying.
Yesterday… no, a few hours ago to be exact… I summoned Archer to be my Servant.
That leaves only the second.
I must protect to the end this Command Spell that binds the Servant.
For a Master, this is probably the most important thing of all.

The pattern inscribed on my right hand after summoning Archer... this is the Command Spell.
This holy sign, granted by the Holy Grail, is the proof of a Master who summoned a Servant.

This mark with concentrated magical energy is an instantaneous thing, not an eternal one.
It is consumed by use, and as the appearance suggests, it has one use for each strike.
In other words, only three times.
A master who loses all three of their Command Spells will be unable to control their Servant and faces death.

…So.
The Command Spell must be guarded as closely as one's life.
It hurts my head to think that I've used one right at the start, but it wasn't completely meaningless, so I'll call it good.
Because it's not unusual for Servants to go against their Masters.
I'm fortunate to have been able to chain him using one Command Spell.

...Well, that's the gist of it.

The Holy Grail War will start when the seven Servants are summoned.
I can't just sleep in.
I don't know when the last Master will appear, but it should be soon------

d12cb.jpg

"…It's past nine… I don't think it's a question of being late any more…"
Glancing at the clock, I confirm to myself that I'll be skipping school today.

"…My body's so heavy… It feels like he's taken over half my body."
I sit up in bed and take a deep breath.
…I'm not tired just because I'm not a morning person.
Like Archer said, a Master who has just summoned their Servant cannot function satisfactorily.

"-------------------That's right.
I summoned Archer, not Saber."
I can remember clearly.
Well, it's not something I want to remember… but even if I don't like it, there's no second chance.

"About a day until my magical energy returns, huh? Then I guess today will just be a test drive."
I slowly climb out of bed.
…I fight a bit against the unseasonably warm air and my desire to stay wrapped up in my blanket.
I knock out the desire to go back to sleep in the third second of the match and check myself in the mirror.
Nothing's obviously wrong. Except for the fact that I have only about half the usual magical energy in my body, everything's up to par.

"-----------Well, there shouldn't be any problems."
For now, I want to check the situation.
The Servant I summoned is Archer.
He's a rude guy with no manners to spare for his summoner and Master.
And on top of that, he doesn't know who he is.
…Oh, I'm getting a headache already.

9LtPn.jpg

"----------Well, it's partly my fault, so we'll have to make do."

That's right. As this is how things ended up, we're both on the same boat.
I hope he sorts out his memories soon, but with the way he's acting right now… who knows when that'll be.
…Honestly.
Looks like we've got a load of problems ahead--------------

Every Day is Calm

"...Wow. Maybe I should have a better opinion of him."
The living room is just the way it was.
I only expected him to clean up the rubble, so I'm moved that he went this far.

He must have felt bad about making such a mess of the living room or he wouldn't have done this.
I should call him admirable or maybe just a nice guy-------------

fz2Kv.jpg
: "The sun's already up. You're pretty loose."

"……"
I take it back.
This shameless attitude… he doesn't deserve any praise at all.

"---------Morning. You seem pretty relaxed. I see you've made yourself at home here."

O95n0.jpg
: "Well, it's the room I spent the night in. I've pretty much figured out where everything is. Oh, since I was cleaning anyway, I cleaned up the kitchen too. I was expecting more mess, but it was rather clean. That's quite impressive considering that you live in a Western-style house by yourself."

"……"
I'm getting a headache.
Why is my Servant checking my cleanliness?
They say Servants think only of battles, so maybe this guy's broken somehow…

O95n0.jpg
: "I see, you're not doing well, are you? You seemed well last night, but sleep must have brought up your fatigue.
-----------Hm, I'll get you a drink, if tea's okay."
So at home in a stranger's house.
Archer stands, takes out a new teacup without a moment's confusion, and pours a fine rose-colored tea.

"--------------------------"
There are all sorts of things I want to say, but I surprisingly don't feel like interrupting him.
Every aspect of his motion is refined, and you could even say he is being considerate.

"…Oh well. It's true that I'm tired, so I guess I'll have a drink."
I take a seat.
He hands me the teacup silently, and I take a sip.
-----------Oh, it's good.

Of course, it's an exotic Chinese tea. It's the best part of my favorite leaf, so I'd get mad if it tasted bad.
In fact, I get mad when someone uses one of my favorites without permission.
…Yes.
I would get mad, but when it's brewed so wonderfully, I'm too happy to complain.
QtOZS.jpg
: "Hmm. Hm-Hm."

"…Hold on. What are you laughing about?"

QtOZS.jpg
: "Well, I was going to ask what you thought of it, but when you make a face like that, there's no point in asking."

"--------------!"
I slam the cup down onto the table.

vUjE1.jpg
: "Don't waste it. You should enjoy it while it's hot. If I'm distracting you, I'll go."

"Thanks but no thanks. I didn't become a Master just so someone could brew me tea. Besides, there's no need for you to do things without orders."

vUjE1.jpg
: "I see. Certainly, I did not form a contract with you to brew tea or clean up after you. If that's how you want it, I'll be careful from now on."

"Right. What I need is a powerful familiar.
I've never heard of a Servant who does things around the house, and I've no need of one either."

You sure about that, Ho-saka? Having an otherworldly being serving you would be pretty sweet.

O95n0.jpg
: "Hm? What do you mean, no need?"

"Nothing. Interpret it however you want.
More importantly, do you remember who you are now?"

Archer shakes his head.
…Just as I thought, it's bad.
If he can't remember it after one night, it's not going to come back easily. Even if we test various things today, this is still…

"All right. I'll work out what to do about your memory.
Well, get ready, Archer. Since you were just summoned, you don't know your way around yet, right? I'll show you around town."

vUjE1.jpg
: "Get ready? There's no need. If you want to go, we can go right now."

"Hey, you're going to walk around in that? It hardly looks normal, and besides, other Masters would be able to tell you're a Servant right away.
I don't intend to go announcing to everyone that I'm a Master, you know."

O95n0.jpg
: "Oh, so that's what you meant.
It's not a problem. Certainly I will need to change, but only when I take form.
Servants are spirits after all. We become spirits when not in battle to reduce the burden on our Masters."

"Oh yeah. You are still a heroic spirit even if you're summoned already. Since it's the Master's magical energy that gives the spirit form, if I cut off that magical energy…"

O95n0.jpg
: "Naturally, we would return to spirit form.
A Servant in that state is like a guardian spirit. We cannot be observed by anyone except the Master we are connected to by the leyline.
We can still talk though, so it's no problem if we're going scouting."

"Wow, that's really convenient. In that case, it must be hard to search for other Masters."

O95n0.jpg
: "Yes. But magi can sense other magi, right? In the same way, Servants can sense other Servants.
If a Servant knows powerful magic, they would be able to sense Servants even from a distance."

…Just as Archer says.
A Master is usually a great magus.
A magus with strong magical energy is sensitive to other magical energy.
But as far as I know, no one in this town has magical energy that strong.

"Hmm… So, what about you? Can you tell where the other Servants are?"

vUjE1.jpg
: "Master, have you forgotten my class? Sensing distant enemies isn't a job for a knight."

…Well, I guess not.
Archer's magical energy isn't that strong.
I expect only the Servant Caster would have enough magical energy to locate enemies from a distance.

yctWR.jpg

"The most important exchange----------?"
Equivalent exchange?
No, fundamentally, the reward for the Servant is to participate in the Holy Grail War.
There shouldn't be any more exchanges necessary---------------

dCFID.jpg
: "…You're really not a morning person, are you?"
Archer says so in surprise.
Listening to his sarcastic comment, I realize something.
Come to think of it…
He hasn't addressed me by name yet.

"-------------Ah. Crap… names."

Toi9Q.jpg
: "I guess you've realized. Well, it's not too late. So Master, what is your name? How should I address you from now on?"
Archer asks sulkily.

------------Dammit. He is a good person.
Yes, there's no mistake.
After all, there's no meaning to exchanging names.
Servant and Master have a relationship forced upon them by the Command Spell.
For a contract with a normal familiar, the exchange of names has a great deal of meaning, but no such bond is needed between the Master and the Servant.

But still, Archer calls it important.
It's a proof of trust that we shall be fighting alongside each other, even without the Command Spell.

"…I'm Tohsaka Rin. You can call me whatever you like."
I answer bluntly, unable to be true to my feelings.

…Well, actually, it would probably be easier for me to be addressed in a reserved manner like "you" or "Master", and he'll probably call me that.
But that said…

Archer mutters my name to himself.

2yddP.jpg
: "I shall call you Rin. …Yes, the name suits you well,"
He says something outrageous.

"--------------------"

For those of you who don't understand why it's outrageous, in Japan it is considered very rude to call someone by their first name unless you know them really, really well. Also, remember that names are given in reverse order in Japan, so John Smith would be Smith John - in case you were wondering why Rin was her first name.

O95n0.jpg
: "Rin? What's wrong? You don't look normal."

"---------S-Shut up! Let's just go! W-We don't have time to relax…!"

I turn away and start walking.
I'm vexed. I don't know why, but I am.
Did Archer say that just to make me feel this way?

"…It's possible. He'll certainly do that sort of a thing…"
Yes, that must be it.
So my face getting hot and my heart pounding, they're all part of his plan.
Be careful, Rin.
You're going to have to work with this crooked guy from now on.

Looks like Rin has the hots for assholes.

7Zugc.jpg

Miyama City is broadly separated into two sections as well.
This is one of the sections, the Western-style houses, where immigrants from foreign countries live.
And on the other side is the area of old Japanese-style houses, with a mountain behind it.
Both sections are on top of hills, so you could say both are suburbs.
The houses in between these two sections are relatively ordinary.
As a demonstration…

7bJso.jpg

30Vys.jpg

SmRHm.jpg

hcea8.jpg

9dF1t.jpg

The city's name, "Fuyuki", or "Winter Tree", supposedly comes from the fact that winters are long here.
Thinking about it, this place certainly has a long winter.
In contrast, though, it's quite warm here and February here is about as warm as December everywhere else.
I bet a few hot springs would turn up if you went digging around.

Then again, this half-hearted cold would make the city a poor hot springs resort.
Fuyuki City has a friendly winter and a strange climate that enters spring in April with no changes.

icW3m.jpg

7ajDF.jpg

XXd0T.jpg

Whirlpool of Fate 2

----And.
This is the center of it.

"This is Shinto's park. Now that we've seen all the important locations, what are your thoughts?"
I ask Archer who is standing next to me.
I can't see him, of course.

"It's a big park. But is there some reason there's no one here?"

"So it shows, huh? Well, that's because there's a history to this place."

I look around the park.
A park this big and organized should be a playground for kids, even on weekdays.
But there are only a few people here and a desolate feeling runs though the place.

"It was about ten years ago. They say there was a huge fire in this area. It burned for a day until it went out just as it began to rain.
Afterwards, the town was rebuilt, but this place was left as it was.
It was burned to ashes, so they made it into a park."

"-----------------------"
Archer says nothing.
But even though I can't see him, I can tell that he is feeling something special.

"…You seem to have noticed. That's right, this is where the last Holy Grail War ended. I don't know the details, but the last war ended here, and the place has been like this ever since."

"-------------I see. That must be why this place is full of so many grudges."

"Hmm. You can sense those kinds of things?"

"Servants are spirits. We are beings similar to grudges and formed obsessions. Therefore, we are sensitive to such 'remnants' like us. There were places in town with strong regrets, but this place is on a completely different level. To us, this place is more like a Reality Marble."
Archer brings up an unusual term in a motionless voice.

A Reality what-now?

L6hZU.jpg

A boundary field is something applied to an existing area or building to protect oneself from outside enemies.
But it is merely a transformation applied to what already exists.

But a Reality Marble is different.
A Reality Marble is an image that erodes reality.
The imagined world of a magus--------a boundary field that paints over reality by letting a magus's heart take form -----------That is what we call a Reality Marble.
In other words, it's a large-ranged magic that distorts, no, remakes the world as the magus wishes----------

"Rin? What are you thinking?"

"Eh? No, I was just surprised.
I just thought 'Reality Marble' seemed an uncommon term for an Archer."

"What, is it strange for me to know it?"

"Of course. Reality Marble is the taboo of taboos, the secret principle's secret principle. It doesn't make any sense for an Archer to know about it."

"Isn't that right", I ask with my expression.
And then, I sense him sighing heavily next to me.

"Rin, a hero is someone who excels with both magic and weaponry.
It's fine if you want to think that an Archer can only use bows, but please don't take such an optimistic view of the other Servants."
…Ugh.
Come to think of it, he's right.

"I-I understand. That was a careless thing to say. I'll be careful from now on, so it's okay, right?"

"…Rin, I'm going to be honest. You are excellent, but because of that, you have a habit of underestimating others. You should reform that habit before you grow up."

"…! Y-You're being rather rude…!"
R-Reform, that's like training bad habits out of a horse…!

"Oh, excuse me. I didn't mean to make it sound like you're a disobedient horse, I just used the word because it suited your image."

"Hey, that's even worse------------ouch!?"

Sfnqz.jpg

My right arm suddenly hurts.

"------------Rin?"

"…Be quiet for a second, Archer."
The Command Spell engraved on my right hand is hurting.
A small warning as if to get my attention.

"--------------Someone's watching us."
"Hm."

PRJZG.jpg

"I can't find him.
What about you, Archer?"

"------------It's difficult. I can't even feel the stare."

"…Then, it must be a Master watching."

I don't know who it is, but if Archer can't sense it, it has to be a Master.
There aren't seven of us yet, but if we wanted to, we could start the fight at any time.
It seems the one watching us wants to battle, but…

"…The Command Spell reacts to other Command Spells. So that must mean that if you are a Master, you should be able to recognize other Masters when you see them. Then wouldn't that mean you should be able to identify the other Master too?"

"Yes. But a superior magus can conceal their magical energy. Even though Command Spells react to each other, they operate on magical energy. If the Master has closed his Magic Circuit, it will be hard to find him."

"…That's troubling. That means we are showing them our location."

"That's right. Well, if I search around my house, I should be able to find something that kills my magical energy, but…"

"You don't need it?"

"Right. Because if I don't hide it, they'll come to us, right? It saves us the trouble of going to find them."
"-------------"
Archer takes a deep breath and goes quiet as if he's shocked.

"…What? You want to say I shouldn't be overconfident?"
I ask, remembering our previous conversation.
But Archer just says, "That's impossible".
"You're strongest like this.
Yeah, you can let those weaklings follow us about."
He says, trying to hold back his laughter.

Well, it's not like I like his response, but we decide to continue walking around town.

vqq3F.jpg

afwAz.jpg

7fDlh.jpg

3DcE6.jpg

"What do you think? This place has a great view, Archer."

"…Geez. I pity whoever you go out with someday. You dragged me around all day."

"Hm? Did you say something, Archer?"

"Just an honest opinion. …Oh, this is certainly a nice place. If we had came here to begin with, we wouldn't have had to walk around like we have been."

"What are you talking about? Certainly it's a nice view, but all you can tell from here is the overview of the town. You have to go to the places themselves to know the layout."

"---------That's not true. My class isn't Archer for nothing. You can't be an archer unless you have good eyesight."

"Is that so? So can you see my house from here, Archer?"

"No, I can't see the neighboring town from here. At most, I can see as far as the bridge. At that range, I can count the number of tiles."

"No way, the tiles on the bridge…!?"
That's not just good. His eyesight could match the telescopes you find on these rooftops.

"I'm surprised. You really are Archer."

"…Rin. I don't like to think so, but, are you making fun of me?"

"Of course not. I just misunderstood because even though you're called Archer, you don't seem like one."
"That's a troubling claim. I shall question you further on this matter when we get home."

It seems Archer has taken a liking to the view as he falls silent.
He's probably working out the town's layout.
…I can't interrupt while he's surveying the battlefield.
I leave Archer's side and move to the edge of the building.

Kx2uR.jpg

I can't tell what kinds of cars or what kinds of people they are.

I can see them, but still not see them.
Just like noticing someone is watching me before, but not being able to see the watcher.

"----------At the very least, there's one person that has his base in Shinto."
I strain my eyes and stare below me.
…There are seven Masters in all.
I still don't know who the Masters are nor which Servants they command.
Right now, I assume all the Masters are walking around town collecting information on other Masters.

"------------?"
Suddenly, I feel someone's eyes on me.
There's no reaction from my Command Spell.
I just feel someone's eyes on me.

jdo6Z.jpg

"……"
I can't tell for sure who it is.
I can't tell for sure, but I still know who it is.
…It's surprising.
What's he doing at this kind of a time?

"Rin. Have you found an enemy?"
Archer calls out to me as if sensing my excitement.

"--------Nothing. I just saw someone I knew. Just an ordinary person, nothing to do with us."
I answer, unable to hide my irritation, and leave the place where I was standing.
There's no way he could have seen me from the ground.
He must have been looking up at the building by coincidence.
So it doesn't mean I was noticed.

…But still.
I'm angry that I let him see me acting as a magus.

4byp2.jpg

"So that's pretty much it. Do you have a good idea of the town?"

"…Hm? Yeah, I get it. I'll figure out the rest as we go along."

"Then we're done for the day. I'm not up to par either, so let's go home and rest."

kMvvU.jpg

"Rin? Why are we hiding?"
"Shut up! Oh, that person is someone I know. I skipped school today, so I don't want to see her."
As I speak, I look at the figure ahead of us.

On the road…

k1irV.jpg

There's the well-known first-year student, and a foreigner I don't know.

They are talking about something.
…No, it seems the foreigner is talking to Sakura against her wishes.

"Rin? Is the person you know the foreigner?"

"No, I don't know him. There are lots of Western-style houses around here, so he might be visiting one of them."
I say that much, then scold myself for being too soft where that girl is involved.

"…Archer, is he human?"

"I don't know. He has form, so he should be human. At the very least, he is not a Servant."

"Right. He's not a Master either, so I guess it's just a minor quarrel."
…Still, I know she's not the kind of girl to get into trouble with a guy…

"They're going. The girl is walking up the hill.
The man is…"

The blond guy goes down the road we came up.

B8Vpj.jpg

TSiVa.jpg

"Phone, phone…"
I dial the number.
And soon, the fake priest picks up.

"Kirei? It's me. I formed a contract with a Servant just yesterday, so register me officially as a Master."
"……"
A brief silence.
Kirei's silence has enough pressure to stress you out even over the phone.

"…Understood. Now what? You should come and see me at least once. I have something to give you that I received from your parents. They said to give it to you only if you become a Master before you become an adult."

"Oh, you mean Father's will? I already deciphered it and got the item, so it's fine. I'll come and see you if I feel like it. Goodbye."
"Wait, Rin. If you are a Master now-----------"
I hang up, not hearing him out.
Listening to Kirei's lecture while I'm tired won't help me recover my magical energy.

"--------Right, all preparations are done now..."

All that's left is to sleep. When I wake up next, it should be a completely different morning.

...Ten years ago.
The Holy Grail War, in which my father competed as a Master and was defeated.
Now, I'm entering that same battle...

Random

Arcane
Patron
Yo bros, this next update is ready but it's very long and I don't want to clog this page with too many pictures. Bump to the next page.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Fuck it, I'll just post the update and turn the first page into loading hell. No worries.

~~~
H4kkP.jpg

LnPvt.jpg

In Sunlight

O95n0.jpg
: "What? You're going to school?"

"Yes. Do you have a problem with that, Archer?"

"…No problems, it's just…"

Archer hesitates, but does not object.
He must have realized yesterday that I'm not the type to take back my decisions.
I can kind of tell without him saying so. Archer is sarcastic, but he has an honest side to him. So it seems he won't complain about something he's accepted.

Yes, in other words, he's faithful in an awkward way.
This is my conclusion… no, more of an intuition after watching Archer for all of yesterday.

VdsZ4.jpg
: "Rin. As you are a Master now, you must always be cautious of other Masters. School is a place where it's hard to remain prepared against sudden attacks."

"That's not true. Look, Archer, even though I am a Master now, I don't intend to change my lifestyle. Besides, a battle between Masters is something that should be done out of public view, right? So, if we are at school where there are lots of people, I don't think we'll see any kind of surprise attacks."

vUjE1.jpg
: "…I see. If that's what you've decided, I can only obey.
But I can guard you in spirit form, right? You don't intend for me to stay here while you go to school?"

"Of course not. Not just at school, but I will want you by my side whenever I go outside. It is the Servant's role to protect the Master, so I'll be counting on you."

d9Mtt.jpg
: "I'm relieved to hear that. It is the duty of a knight to answer trust placed on us. I shall do my best to meet your expectations."

O95n0.jpg
: "But Rin, just hypothetically, what would you do if there were an enemy in that safe place?"

"Hm? What, are you suggesting there might be a Master at school?"

O95n0.jpg
: "That's right. It's certainly hard for anyone who isn't a teacher or student to get in, but wouldn't it be a problem if someone already there is a Master?"

"I don't think that's possible. In this town, there's only one family of magi other than the Tohsaka. That other family has declined, and they don't even have a Master."

vUjE1.jpg
: "How do you know there isn't a Master?"

"Hey, it's only natural to investigate another family of magi in the same town.
He isn't a Master and his successor doesn't have enough magical energy to become a Master, so we can just ignore them."

vUjE1.jpg
: "I see. So, there is another magus at the school you go to. But you say that magus doesn't have sufficient magical energy to become a Master, is that correct?"

"Exactly. So most Masters will probably be coming from elsewhere. I don't think such people would come to the school."

fz2Kv.jpg
: "…Well, for now, at least.
But Rin, there are always exceptions. What if there is a magus at your school that you don't know about?"

"Like I said, there aren't any. Magi are sensitive to other magi. If we were at the same school for a year, I should be able to sense other magi no matter how well they hide it.
I will state with confidence that there are only two magi at our school. One of them is me, and the other is only an apprentice who doesn't have enough power to become a Master.
Do you understand? Your caution is just needless worrying. It's completely impossible."

QtOZS.jpg
: "That's why this is only a hypothetical scenario. There's always another side to things.
It's only natural for unexpected things to occur.
I'm saying that when it does happen, do not blame me."

Archer smiles dryly.
…Just that action makes me want to take it out on him, but if I did, I would be late for school.

"That won't happen. A hypothetical is a hypothetical because it won't happen. If it does, it just means my analysis was too shallow."

2FX5v.jpg
: "All right, I'll remember that. Let's go then, Rin.
It should take thirty minutes to get to the school, so we won't make it unless we leave soon."

YvQkh.jpg

GPUqb.jpg

As soon as we pass the school's main gate, we joke around like that.
Around us are students heading to classrooms and it's almost time for homeroom.
In the crowd of people rushing into the school building, we stand dumbfounded.

"This isn't just the air stagnating. Isn't there a boundary field set up already?"
"It's not complete, but the preparation seems to have already started.
If he's doing this so openly, he must be a real big shot…"

"Or a complete amateur. A boundary field that lets others notice the abnormality is only third class. To be first class, it has to be hidden until it's activated."
"----------So. Which do you think it is, Rin?"

"Who knows? I don't care if he's third class or first class.
I'm just going to beat him mercilessly for setting up such an indecent thing in my territory."

I walk angrily through the schoolyard.
As a magus, I'm not about to mince words, but I can't be satisfied until I properly punish the creator of this boundary field.

WS2Br.jpg

owOIo.jpg

"What, handouts? World history… that'll be my homeroom teacher. That Kuzuki, what's he thinking making a girl do this? Here, give me half of it."

vXFHP.jpg
: "Oh… Yes. Thank you, Senpai."

"It's fine. So, we're taking these to your classroom?"

m8Arv.jpg
: "…No, we're taking them to Kuzuki-Sensei. He said he's recalling them because there was a misspelling."

"…I understand. Kuzuki's really stubborn. He's the guy who cancelled a whole test just because there was one misspelling in it."

PqLjt.jpg
: "…Huh? You mean the school's exam?"

"Right. I think it was last year's midterm. He came in while everyone was filling in their names and said in his usual tone that the midterm has a misspelling in it. He said that the question was not correct, so the midterm was to be cancelled and retaken at a later date. We were surprised, but so were the teachers, and they still talk about it today."

dw8wo.jpg
: "That's just like Kuzuki-Sensei. He doesn't think teachers should make any mistakes."

"He goes too far, though. You'll realize soon, too. Kuzuki is as stubborn as a rock or a mountain."

dw8wo.jpg
: "Heehee. Tohsaka-Senpai, you must like Kuzuki-Sensei. It's rare for you to talk about someone like that."

"Really? …Well, I do think he should be more flexible, but…"
I think that, but I also think he's not bad this way.

At our school, there's a teacher liked by all students and a teacher feared by all students.
The balance between the two works so well that I think Kuzuki-Sensei is a good disciplinarian. He's the stick in the carrot and stick approach.

"Well, you'll get to see more of him once you reach second year. He teaches ethics too.
…More importantly, Sakura, is it all right if I ask you something?"

dw8wo.jpg
: "Huh? What is it, Senpai?"

"It's about yesterday. Were you talking to a strange foreigner?"

qDis3.jpg
: "Oh… y-you were watching, Senpai?"

"Just by chance. So, what was it? Do you know him?"

qDis3.jpg
: "…No. Well, he was a strange person and he seemed to be lost. He asked me lots of things, but I couldn't make out what he was saying, so, um…"

Ah, so she ran away.

"I see. Sorry, I was just a bit curious."

GsS8K.jpg
: "No, it's all right… Um, here is fine, Senpai. I only have to hand these to him now."

"Okay. See you later then."
I pass the handouts back to Sakura.
As I start to head back to my classroom, I pause.

"Sakura, how are things?"

m8Arv.jpg
: "Ah… yes, it's okay. I'm doing fine."

"…I see. Well, if Shinji does something again, tell me. He doesn't know when to stop, so it will only get worse if you don't say anything."

GsS8K.jpg
: "It's fine. You don't need to worry, Senpai. Nii-san has been kind recently."
…If she says that with such a smile, I can't say anything else.
I bid her goodbye once more and turn my back on the familiar junior.

fyBcg.jpg

n7mn0.jpg

A boundary field is something that protects the caster.
You could call it a geographical magic in which one knits a line of magic across the land to change the interior.

dN6aN.jpg

The boundary field laid out over our school is of that kind.
It is not yet complete, but once it is, everyone in the school should fall unconscious.

munBY.jpg

So this boundary field has a different intention.
I don't know what kind of person set up this boundary field, but his intention is not to defeat a Master.
It's hard to believe, but his target is everyone in this school.
…There's only one reason to do something like that.
Unbelievably, this guy is----------

aMbhs.jpg

"------------So, this makes seven. Well, it looks like this is the origin."
A seven-stroke mark is openly drawn on the rooftop.
This purplish-red character only visible to magi is something I have never seen before, engraved with something unknown.

"…Dammit. This isn't something I can handle."
The person who set up this boundary field didn't think about anything.
He didn't think, but the boundary field is bound with amazing skill.
I can temporarily drain magical energy from this boundary field, but I cannot eliminate the boundary field itself.
The boundary field can be reactivated just by having the caster put more magical energy into it again.

pm2b4.jpg

CifkO.jpg

Since ancient times, souls have been hard to handle.
Even though they're believed to exist and are necessary for magic, only one magus has ever understood the soul.

Souls are only "things to be investigated", or "things to be moved into containers".
It's incomprehensible not merely to suck them out but also to collect them in a single place.
It's because a magus has no use for them even if one were to collect this unconvertible energy.
So if there's a reason, it must be…

"Archer. Are you Servants… this kind of creature?"
I ask coldly.

"…It is as you suspect. I told you we are basically spirits. Therefore, our meals consist of souls and mental constituents.
As you subsist on meat, we subsist on souls and minds.
Our basic abilities do not change from such nourishment, but we do become tougher. In other words, our magical energy capacity increases."

…Yes.
To strengthen your Servant, you must attack people indiscriminately.

"So the magical energy the Master provides isn't enough?"

"It's not that, but it doesn't hurt to have more. In war, if you lack strength, you make up for it with supplies, right?
It's a basic tactic for a Master to steal energy from the people around them. In that regard, this boundary field is very efficient."

"-------------------------"
Archer is saying that if I want to win, I should kill people and steal their strength.
How simple.
I already knew that.
That's why I think I know which path I am going to choose.

"That annoys me. Don't ever mention it again, Archer."
I say so while staring at the mark on the ground.
For some reason, Archer sounds happy as he confidently answers,
"I feel the same way. I do not intend to do so either."

"…Well, let's erase this. It's meaningless, but it should hinder them a bit."
I approach the mark engraved on the ground and extend my left arm.
The Magic Crest on my left arm is the "book of magic" passed down the Tohsaka family.

hc0MW.jpg

wygnm.jpg

1oUa1.jpg

5Jyrg.jpg

Deep ultramarine that melts into the night.
His grin is wild and a bestial smell carries on the wind.
…The stare of the beast is a cool one.
The man in blue looks at me like an old friend, even in this situation---------------

"-------------------Is this your doing?"

"No. Petty tricks are the magi's job. We only fight as we are commanded to. Isn't that right, you over there?"

"---------------------!"
Casual, but his voice is filled with murderous intent.
This guy can see Archer…!

"As I thought, a Servant…!"
"That's right. Since you can tell, I can consider you as my enemy, right?"
"-------------------"
My spine freezes.
A normal, light tone of voice.
And it's colder than anything I've ever heard, scary enough to make me vomit…

zJQX9.jpg

lOTvV.jpg

"…Wow. That's pretty good. You seem like you don't know anything, but you grasp the important points.
Man, I messed up. I shouldn't have called out to you just for fun."
The man raises his arm.

Nightmare

It happens in an instant.
The arm that held nothing until now…

mS16F.jpg

xVJbn.jpg

LeRcO.jpg

Now holds a red weapon, two meters long.

xcuAv.jpg

iDdDW.jpg

9hkdG.jpg

YlD0e.jpg

------------Barely made it.
He rushed me in an eyeblink and mercilessly slashed at the space I just occupied.

"Hah, you've got some good legs, young lady…!"
----------The blue whirlwind pursues me.

There are no escapes.
The fence is behind me. To my sides… no, I won't make it…!

hjyBe.jpg

"Rin…!"
"I know, let me handle it…!"
I jump over the fence and fall from the rooftop.

FtpHB.jpg

Ptvgy.jpg

"Vox, gott es Atlas--------!
Archer, take care of the landing…!"

SCl4l.jpg

DQDNK.jpg

rXPPf.jpg

bsOSj.jpg

jOBh9.jpg

"--------Wow."
The man crooks his mouth.
"…That's good. That's the way to go. I don't mind people who are quick on the uptake."
A large whirlwind.
…That's the weapon swung at me on the rooftop… the blood red crimson lance that tried to mercilessly slaughter me-----------
lxvnJ.jpg

…The distance between the two is about five meters.
The weapon in Lancer's hand is about two meters.
For that man with the bestial smell, I feel like the remaining three meters are meaningless.

HXAoR.jpg
: "…Heh. You're not the type to engage in one-on-one combat. So you must be Archer."
Archer doesn't respond to the sneering voice either.
Confronting each other, strangely, are red and blue.
The two counterfeit colored knights are already watching for the other's clinching blow.

HXAoR.jpg
: "…All right. I don't like it, but now we've met, we'll just have to fight. Come on, take out your bow, Archer.
I have some manners, so I'll at least wait for that."

"----------------------------------"
Archer does not respond.
There's nothing to say to an enemy he must defeat.
That steel back of his seems to declare so.

"---------------------"
That makes me realize.
…I'm being stupid. Archer is just waiting for my word, my command.

"Archer."
I talk to his back without approaching him.
"I won't help you. Show me your powers here."
"-----------------Heh."
Was that a laugh?
He grins as if to answer my words, and the red knight dashes forward.

Clashing Souls

Twirling gusts of wind.

TtrKs.jpg

Shortsword in hand, the red bullet launches.

nnKxl.jpg

"-----------You fool!"
What meets him is a blue spear-thrust.
If the dashing Archer is a raging wind, the responding spearhead is a divine wind.

The sword is swung, a swing to deflect the thrust.
Archer parries the thrust of the high speed lance with his shortsword.

"……!"
The one in red stops.
The enemy did not permit Archer's rush.
The enemy doesn't even let him get within two meters, the range of the spear.
For a long weapon, distance is always preferred.
As Lancer has a weapon almost two meters long, he only needs to attack when the enemy comes into his range.
Thrusting at an approaching enemy is easier than moving out yourself.

But even so.
Lancer closes the distance himself and doesn't even allow Archer to move forward.

CwT7n.jpg

ehlP6.jpg

With a long weapon, it's suicidal to close in to an enemy.
The spearman's tactic is to use their long range to defeat the enemy and win the battle.
So, as Lancer is just advancing unchecked, he doesn't have a chance of winning.

"-----------No way."
But that's just by the book.
Lancer's lance shows no vulnerabilities as it strikes for the throat, shoulders, forehead, and heart.

Thrusts so fast even the afterimages are blurred.
As each strike of his lance repels, rebuffs, and pushes back Archer, any one of his thrusts could be called a final blow.
But even as a bowman, Archer is a Servant.
No ordinary attack can be a final blow…!

"Ha--------------!"
Having repelled the lance aimed at his forehead, Archer closes in with speed superior to Lancer's lance.

fRyIo.jpg

A partial retreat does not allow escape, and an attempt to counterattack will only result in a slashed stomach.
But simply going forward will end up in a smashed rib from the long shaft of the lance.
Archer and Lancer are similarly built.
On top of that, it's hard for Archer with no heavy armor to step into range of a lance swung like a whirlwind.

-------------But, thrusts are a different story.
A blazing fast thrust certain to strike you is certainly scary.
But as long as the attack targets a point, there are many ways to avoid it once you see it.
As Archer did just then, hitting the shaft of the approaching lance to redirect it slightly creates an opening.

It must be because he underestimated a bowman.
The advantage of the weapon is in the length and freedom of its range. Once Lancer has discarded these advantages himself, his defeat is---------

"Huh----------!?"
The one in red stops.
-----------A nightmare like time is reversing.
The thrust is faster than the previous ones…!

ypIYw.jpg

"--------------"
We were the ones that underestimated him.
For that Servant-------for Lancer's weapon, there are no general rules about lances.

Who could ever parry continuous attacks without even space to breathe between them?
Archer manages to retreat a bit and parries. And as a result, the distance between them opens a little.
That distance.
Lancer uses that distance as a runway to launch an even more powerful attack.

i4K84.jpg

…It's not fast, but it's just skill.
It thrusts like a waterfall, with no change in speed.
What can Archer do as he's now on the defensive?
With such a short sword, he can only parry the lance.
He has no way to close on Lancer, and he continues to retreat.

A vacuum of steel unfolds.
Support… I have to back Archer up, but my throat won't respond.
My magic has poor aim.
Unless Archer gets far away from Lancer, I will hit him with my magic as well.
Such an opening would only increase Lancer's advantage.

…And besides.
Frankly, I'm captivated.
This is a battle between Servants.
This is the Holy Grail War itself, where we use heroic spirits--------
The highest rank of familiar, whom we would never otherwise obtain.

Servants.
Familiars of different classes that obey the seven Masters.
These are the highest-ranked familiars, called heroic spirits, that the Holy Grail summons.

KX47X.jpg

Or a cute white bird.
Or a black dog that doesn't obey its master, or something like that.

Familiars that a mere magus can summon are of that level.
Familiars are just familiars.
They are only mascots that run errands for their masters, so they cannot be beings stronger than their masters.
But Servants are different.
They are the most powerful beings.
Even for sorcerers, of which there are only five in this world, it would probably be impossible to form a contract with them.

Tohsaka, girl, you need to be paying attention to the fight. You're a goddamn magus, do something. Stop making excuses.

It's not that the summoning is hard or even that the ability of the Servant surpasses that of the Magus.

Servants themselves are beings above magic.

fBJhw.jpg

A hero that becomes eternal in people's minds is no longer human after their death, and is promoted to another form of existence.
Humans who bring about miracles, save people, and achieve great deeds, are called heroes even after their death.
After being so called, they are promoted to heroic spirits after their death and become guardians of humanity.

It doesn't matter whether these people existed in reality or only in stories.
It is people's minds that create a hero.
People's wishes that "this is how things should be" give them form and set them up as real.
Authenticity does not matter.
They can have form as long as they have fame as a legend and people have faith.

The ultimate ideal humans have created, the greatest human people have created.
These are the heroes, the heroic spirits.
And of course, since they are beyond human, they cannot be controlled by humans.
A magus usually borrows their power only to mimic them.
They can't summon the heroic spirits themselves.

But the Holy Grail made that impossibility into reality.
It summons the heroic spirit, beyond human control, and turns it into a familiar obedient to the Master.
That nonsense is proof that the Holy Grail is almighty.

And with the passing of years ignored, the heroic spirits are summoned. The most recent from a hundred years ago, the oldest from the ancient days.
The seven heroic spirits obey each of the seven Masters, protect them, and eliminate the Masters of the enemy.
Heroes from every age and country are revived into the present day, to kill one another for supremacy.
That is why this ritual is called the Holy Grail War.

Seriously, woman. Exposition is nice and all, but you're daydreaming during the fight between two horrifically powerful entities.

...But it seems like the Holy Grail has its limits, too.
Even the Holy Grail cannot indiscriminately call unto the spirit-like beings.
Just as a form invented by humans is required for the imaginary sixth element, known as the devil, to take form, the heroic spirits also need a form to live in this world.

PC1ZB.jpg

If there are seven Masters chosen by the Holy Grail, there are also seven Servants obeying those Masters.

There are seven furnished classes.

2lQ1E.jpg

Knight of the sword, Saber.

Zo7YC.jpg

Knight of the lance, Lancer.

dyXMY.jpg

Knight of the bow, Archer.

U3r8o.jpg

Mounted soldier, Rider.

3Oag8.jpg

Magus, Caster.

ZFXw2.jpg

Silent killer, Assassin.

0ZDwV.jpg

Mad warrior, Berserker.

Only the heroic spirits with attributes of these classes are summoned to the present to obey the Master----------and become a Servant.

That is the Servant System-------------
A summoning and contract with a heroic spirit beyond human control, to win the "miracle" beyond human grasp.
The ultimate competition, held only on this ground, the one and the only Holy Grail War-----------!

pWNVj.jpg

There is no effective way of parrying a lance with a sword.
A strong rebuff only results in a stronger counterattack, and a weak rebuff does not create any openings.
The important aspect of the battle between a sword and a lance lies in defeating the enemy when he is at the wrong range--------------

wQOJ8.jpg

In that instant.
The lance is thrust just like a flash of light.
It can't even be seen.

Forehead, neck, and heart.

Three shots are launched, any one a fatal blow--------!!

e8Afm.jpg

But.

The flash too fast to see is repelled by a shining blade…!

"-----------!?"
In Archer's hand is the shortsword again.
A sword like before, a Chinese sword like a hatchet.
But the biggest difference is----------

Pepat.jpg

"Crap, two swords…!"
A pair of swords.
In his hands are matched swords, mirror images of each other.

"Heh, a bowman trying to be a swordsman---------!"

Lancer's lance flies.

Y1KcY.jpg

As if to finish Archer off, the lance moves faster and faster.
"----------------"

adv3B.jpg

The clashing sounds are like a well orchestrated music.

Two steels clanging against each other.
The sparking clashes increase in rhythm without pause.

The battle of the two is like a vacuum.
It sucks in the air around them, and it seems like anything approaching them would be cut to pieces.
"-----------------------------"
In reality, it only lasts an instant.
But for me looking on, it seems to take an infinitely long time.

xDEEn.jpg

But it's only for a moment as Archer has a sword in his hand in the next instant, forcing Lancer back a little each time.
Lancer finally admits his carelessness.
That even though he doesn't know who is before him, he will be the loser if he dismisses him as a mere bowman.

h4txQ.jpg

Premonition of a Storm

B3wWm.jpg

…I feel the same way.
According to Father, a Servant carries only one weapon.
Their weapon is filled with magical energy, so it's not something that can be created one after another, like Archer was just doing.

sXubz.jpg

A Noble Phantasm is a weapon or armor the Servant used when they were a hero, and it's treated as a last resort.
The Noble Phantasm is the one and only weapon for a Servant.
This is because the Noble Phantasm is an ultimate weapon without equal.

…The lance that Lancer is using will show its power as a Noble Phantasm when Lancer deems it necessary.
A Noble Phantasm is an impressive weapon by itself, but its true ability is to release all its power using its "true name".

Heroes' weapons which rule over all others, and which have killed dragons and gods.
Servants activate their Noble Phantasms using their magical energy.
It's much like magic.
Servants recreate the destructions in legend using their weapon as a catalyst.

Those weapons are never disposable.
The swords that Archer brought out must be excellent, but they cannot be his Noble Phantasm.
He is the Servant Archer.
So the Noble Phantasm he conceals must be a bow.

uThAv.jpg

2FX5v.jpg
: "What's wrong, Lancer? It's not like you to just stand there and watch. Where's the energy you had just now?"

hzPvT.jpg
: "…You're talking crap, you cheater."

Lancer's irritation is understandable.
Even though Lancer fought as a spearman, Archer fended him off as a swordsman.
Which means, Archer hasn't shown any of his abilities yet.
So it's natural for Lancer to feel ghastly.

hzPvT.jpg
: "…All right then, I'll ask you. What hero are you?
I've never heard of a bowman using two swords."'

2FX5v.jpg
: "On the other hand, it's easy to tell who you are. It's said that only the fastest heroes are chosen as the lancer, but you surpass even that.
There aren't three lancers in this world at your level. And on top of that, there's only one with such beast-like agility."

0UPQD.jpg
: "--------Oh. Well said, Archer."
At that instant.
His vast murderous intent makes me forget to breathe.

Lancer's arm moves.

sW0SS.jpg

This is different from before. A stance free from contempt.
The spearhead is lowered as if to strike the ground, and only his stare pierces Archer------
"----------In that case, you shall face my finishing blow."

VdsZ4.jpg
: "I won't stop you. You're an enemy I will have to defeat sooner or later."

Lancer's body sinks down.
At the same time.
A chill like thorns fills the schoolyard.

...The air freezes.
Not a metaphor, it literally freezes.
All the mana in the air is frozen.
The only person allowed to breath here is Lancer.

The lance in Lancer's hands is unmistakably a demonic one.
And now, it is waiting to take its true form in the moment it strikes-----

XWpkG.jpg

"--------Oh."
Archer will be defeated.
Archer will die when Lancer pierces his heart.

--------And yet.
Even though I know what's going to happen, I can't even help him.
Because if I move even a finger, that will trigger the attack.

...So, if anything can stop this battle and stop Archer's defeat, it would be-----

"------------Who's there?!"

It would be the chance appearance of a stranger we have all overlooked.

"…Huh?"
The ghastly air coming from Lancer disappears.
The sound of fleeing footsteps.
…That figure is definitely wearing a school uniform.

"A student…!? Someone was still here!?"

O95n0.jpg
: "It seems so. He did save our lives, though."

Archer says calmly.
Well we were certainly saved, but…

yx6s2.jpg

"…Follow him, Archer! I'll catch up right away…!"

"------------"
Archer goes after Lancer immediately.

"…Damn, how stupid of me…!"
I curse my carelessness.
It's the rule of magi to eliminate any witnesses.
…Which is why, if one didn't want to do that, one just had to allow no witnesses. I've done that until now, so why do I have to make a mistake today of all days…!?

Whirlpool of Fate 2

HfxIN.jpg

tzRuW.jpg

"…Follow him, Archer. Lancer will probably go back to his Master. This won't be worth it unless we at least find out what his Master looks like."

"------------"
Archer goes after Lancer.
I'm left alone with the student lying on the floor.

"……"

ZxkQL.jpg

"...."
I can't look straight at him.
But I must.
This is my fault.
This is my fault.
This is my fault.

G3RyZ.jpg

"One shot from Lancer's lance, huh? You can't be saved with your heart pierced."
I don't know how long it's been since Lancer killed him.
Was he lucky or was he unlucky to be pierced through the heart?
I guess Lancer's attack isn't a simple external wound as the flow of blood from the rupture isn't too severe.

It's not too severe, but it's all over when the brain doesn't get any more blood.
No, basically, if his heart were pierced, he should have died instantly.

"…But it's amazing he isn't dead yet."
…Yes.
He's still breathing faintly as if to give his last scream.
But that will only last a few more seconds.
He can't heal his own wounds, and I don't have enough power to save him either.

"I have to look at his face. I should at least do that."
I try to touch the head, facing the ground, and realize my fingertips won't move.
…They're trembling.
I wonder why.
I'm used to such things.
I've had to make these kinds of choices many times before.

I've lost many things due to my mistakes and my selfishness.
That's why… I'm ready for a day like this.
So why… why am I so angry at myself?

"...Sorry. I'll see you off, at least."
I control my trembling fingers and my failing knees with my will, and look at the face of the student.
"-------------"

XWPHx.jpg

Ever-Present Feeling

"------------------"
Sakura's face flashes in my mind.
She will definitely cry.
And I recall one red-tinted day after school, a long time ago.
...A distant sunset.
Someone always running alone.
And a boring girl, staring at that from far away.

----------And before me, the corpse of someone who happened to get involved.

"---------------------------------"
…There is a way.
I might fail and lose my last resort in the process, but there is still a way.
No, I'll lose my last resort whether I succeed or fail, so the result for me won't change.

"--------------------------------"
It's a mistake.
The fact of his death is already determined.
It's my fault for not noticing the things around me.
It's his fault for unluckily staying late.

3tyFS.jpg

"-----------So what, idiot?"
I shake the feeling off and kneel in front of the one who will become a corpse in another second.

"...Man, I've done it."
The pendant in my hand becomes lighter.
My father's memento drained almost to emptiness,
and falls on what used to be a dying body.

"---------------Well, it can't be helped."
Yes, it can't be helped.
I didn't have the power or skills to revive someone with a damaged heart, damaged blood vessels, and on the verge of brain death on top of that.
That's why I had to make up for my lack of skill with this powerful object.

"It's lucky he was still breathing. If he was completely dead, no amount of magical energy could have revived him."
But since he was still alive…
I just did what I could, and ended up saving his life.

"…It would have been awful if I failed, but since I succeeded, I guess it's all right. Yeah, I feel fulfilled to be honest, so this wasn't such a bad experience."
I'm just bluffing.

"…Let's go. What's done is done. I have to head back before he wakes up."
Yeah, there's no need for me to stay here any longer.
Archer should be following Lancer, so I should go home by myself.

7QgHY.jpg

"Oh well."
I've no more use for that pendant.
Sure, it might have a bit of magical energy left in it, but surely less than the ten jewels I have.
What my father intended to leave for me was enough magical energy to win the Holy Grail War.
So now, without magical energy, that thing is meaningless.

pQTet.jpg

"-----------Huh, I have to switch gears.
What am I doing, daydreaming after a battle like that?"

I jump up and brew some tea.
There are so many things to think about.
Most importantly, the Servants.
I have just witnessed a battle between Servants I had previously only understood intellectually.

"Lancer, huh…? I panicked when he almost used his Noble Phantasm, but I would have found out his identity if he had used it…"

The easiest way to beat an enemy Servant is to learn their identity.
Ignoring for the moment the idiot who doesn't even know his own identity, the biggest weak point of a Servant is their "true name".
Discovering the Servant's true name… in other words, figuring out their identity… should let you take a guess at what kind of Noble Phantasm they might have.

EsQyb.jpg

A heroic spirit that becomes a Servant never gives out their true identity.
The only ones that know the Servants' identities are the Masters.
There's even a tacit understanding that the Masters hide their Servants' identities while trying to discover the identities of the others.

…This is the fifth Holy Grail War.
The qualities of the Servants are determined by the ranks of the summoned heroic spirits.
It goes without saying that the more famous heroes and the heroes with better weapons are stronger.

But it's difficult to summon such heroic spirits.
To summon a heroic spirit, one must have a connection with them such as a weapon they used during their lives.
Even the Magic Association has a few of such things.
So generally, one will summon a heroic spirit that suits them, like I did.

A Servant's strength is determined by the rank of the heroic spirit.
But it's not that simple as even the most powerful heroic spirits may have a hard time depending on the class they are assigned to.
That is because of the special abilities assigned to each class, the possibility of the weak defeating the strong.

The seven classes each have a different additional ability, and one even has a chance of defeating an opponent of higher rank depending on the ability's affinity.
To take an example, an infamous hero has defeated a great hero four times in the past.
As far as I know, the most powerful Servant is Saber.

dZfZx.jpg

It's because they are fighters who fought through the age of myths, when magics were used widely.
Magics that magi use now would probably dissipate just by touching them.
…Anyways, that's why these three classes are considered the basics and the best.

WVSL6.jpg

However, the more powerful a Servant becomes, the greater the burden it imposes on the Master.
In the past, Masters who summoned Berserker couldn't control their rampaging Servants, and destroyed themselves by running out of magical energy.
No exceptions.

wpZ1A.jpg

Tender Scenery

kW8eV.jpg

"Welcome back. How did it go?"

d9Mtt.jpg
: "…I'm sorry. I failed. It must be one cautious Master. At the very least, Lancer's Master is not on this side of town."

As I expected.
Lancer was alone and it seems his Master isn't the type to show up for battles personally.

"I see. Well, I guess it won't be that easy."
Yes, there's no way everything will go as I might hope.
So it can't be helped.
Let's consider what happened tonight as a tuition fee for the lessons learned.

vUjE1.jpg
: "You seem down, Master. Where are your high spirits? Don't tell me you got scared by that one fight. If you so order, I am ready to go battle Lancer again right now."

Archer protests silently that we should do so.
…I see.
I guess I look depressed.

"Of course not. I'm staying in only because I don't want to do anything pointless."

fz2Kv.jpg
: "Hm? Anything pointless…?"

"Well, all the Masters aren't present yet, right? Tonight couldn't be helped, but I wouldn't start fighting before we get the signal. My father told me this is one of the rules of the Holy Grail War."

"…I see, so your father was also a Master."
Archer nods, understanding.
--------Then.

Archer makes a troubled face and starts to ponder something.

"What? Do you have something you want to say?"

O95n0.jpg
: "Yeah, there's something I forgot to ask.
Rin, you've been raised since you were small to be a Master and you've accepted that, right? So you've expected to be a Master since the beginning."

"Of course. Well, there certainly are Masters that are suddenly appointed, but I'm different. For the Tohsaka family, the Holy Grail has been our earnest desire for many generations."

O95n0.jpg
: "I thought so. So having been raised to become a Master, you must have a purpose.
I forgot to ask about that. I cannot swear my sword to you unless I know my Master's wish.
---------So Rin, what is your wish?"

"Wish? I don't really have one."

tUa8V.jpg
: "------What?"
Oh, Archer's making a funny face.

"T-That can't be true! The Holy Grail is an almighty grail that grants wishes. Becoming a Master means obtaining the Holy Grail, so how can you say you have no wish to grant…!?"
"-----------------"
Archer is asking with a serious expression.

…Oh, I see.
The Master's wish after obtaining the Holy Grail isn't irrelevant to the Servant.
But it's strange. Father said that Servants have wishes as well, but that is only their wish.
I don't think Archer should be concerned because I don't have any wishes.

kQJl1.jpg
: "All right, if you don't have a specific wish, why not wish for something ambiguous? Like ruling the world?"

"Why? The world is already mine."

tUa8V.jpg
: "----------------------"

"Hey now, Archer. The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

"-----------"
Archer looks at me with a troubled expression.
I'm amazed. The guy really is hard-headed.

O95n0.jpg
: "Ridiculous. The Holy Grail is a power to grant wishes, a power to obtain the world. Are you saying you're seeking it, yet you have no wish?"

"But ruling the world would be so troublesome and there's no point in wishing for something so pointless. You seem to lack imagination."

O95n0.jpg
: "…I don't understand. For what then, do you fight?"

"I fight because there's a battle, Archer. And I'll take whatever I can get. I don't know about this Holy Grail thing, but I can just use it when I find something I want, right? As a human, there are infinite things I might want in life."

fz2Kv.jpg
: "---------So, you're saying…"

"Yes. I'm fighting to win, Archer."

dCFID.jpg
: "------------------"
Archer's shoulders slump.
Maybe he's disappointed in my opinions, but it seems he's finally relaxed.

dCFID.jpg
: "…I give up. You're certainly a worthy Master for me."
---------Ugh.
…I find it hard to deal with that kind of comment, so I wish he'd stop saying such things…

"…Huh. A Servant has no right to choose their Master, but I'll ask for the heck of it. Why am I a worthy Master for you?"

kQJl1.jpg
: "It goes without saying. You're unmistakably the strongest Master.
No one would be a better Master to serve than you."

"Oh, thanks. It doesn't sound like flattery when you say it."
…I look away because I'm embarrassed.

I find it hard to deal with Archer because he speaks frankly like this even though he's so cynical.
...But, well, I'm honestly happy that he trusts me.
I trust Archer and he trusts me.
I don't think this sense of solidarity is a bad thing.

O95n0.jpg
: "Well then, let's take a break. Even if the seventh Master is going to appear, it won't be right now---------wait a minute, Rin. What happened to that jewelry of yours?"

"You mean my pendant? Oh, I forgot it. It's out of power, so there's no use for it, right?"

"That's true, but… well, if you say so."

"Yes, it's a memento of my father, but it's not like it's my only memory of him--------------"

VdsZ4.jpg
: "---------That's no good. You don't have to be that strong, Rin."
So saying,
Archer takes out the pendant I left at school.

"Oh… you went and picked it up for me."

Toi9Q.jpg
: "…Don't forget it again. It only looks right on you, Rin."
As if he's embarrassed, Archer looks away as he hands me the pendant.

"-----------I see. Thanks."
I accept it.
To be honest, I don't know if I should be embarrassed or cool about it.

The pendant is as it was.
…As expected, there's no magical energy left in it.
Empty of magical energy, it's just an expensive but ordinary jewel, and it doesn't hold any power.

But, as Archer would put it.
Even if there's no power left in this pendant, it still has meaning as something my father specifically left for me.
Then… maybe I can just laugh off the fact that I helped that guy by sacrificing my trump card.

"----------Hey, wait a sec."

Nightmare

Something clicks in my head.
I wasn't thinking straight back then because of my regret, but thinking about it calmly, I missed something.

He saw us, so it'll be dangerous unless we adjust his memory.
Basically, Lancer prioritized eliminating the witness over his battle with us.
Lancer's thinking probably matches his Master's.
So… if such a Master finds out the guy they killed didn't die, what would he do?

"-----------He wouldn't let the guy keep on living---------"
I get up from my sofa.
…It's been three hours since then.
I might not make it, but…
After all I did, I have to make it on time-----------!

Xkina.jpg

"…Honestly, you're just taking on unwanted troubles."
Archer has no interest in cooperating.
He was against saving the guy when he was dying, and he's against me going to help him right now.

----------It's midnight.
Under the cloudy sky, we reach the Japanese-styled house.

There's no sight of anyone in this house on the edge of the residential district.
There aren't many houses around it, and there's no one to come and help if something happens here.

UuL7k.jpg

Even if Fuyuki City is considered warm, it's still cold on the hill.

The air around here is frozen.
I strain my ears in the cold atmosphere.
In the frozen feeling, I feel a small sense of an enemy.

"…He's here. The Servant from before…!"
I bite my lip.
His presence is perceptible on the other side of this wall.
Lancer is in the house already and about to kill the same guy again, who has just come home without a clue as to what happened.

"…I'll just have to jump in and beat him. I'll worry about what comes next when it happens------------!"
Just as I'm about to command Archer to go in.

A bright white light, like a fallen sun, comes from within the house.

xmrPd.jpg

"No way…"
I can only mutter.
But it's true.
To prove it----------Lancer jumps over the wall and leaps away as if fleeing from this place.

"…Hey, Archer. Is this another one of your hypothetical scenarios?"
"I don't know. But this makes seven. All the Masters are here now, Rin."
Archer answers calmly.
I've lost my normal judgment.
That's why I didn't even consider the obvious event that would follow.

Footsteps of Destruction

The wind blows strongly.
Clouds cover the sky like an umbrella.
The unlit suburbs are enclosed by darkness.
And the Servant jumps over the wall, coming down like a demonic bird------

NkiAP.jpg

KpCJn.jpg

why41.jpg

…Now there's only one remaining.
But this is for the best.
Rather than having Archer die, I would prefer to lose one or two Command Spells…

BPsAy.jpg

wPZlZ.jpg

08ozM.jpg

PbIPN.jpg

80n0R.jpg

"-----------Wha…"
The wind blows.
In between the dark clouds in the spiral sky, the moon shines.
The falling moonlight and the beautiful face…
This is the Servant that drove off Lancer,
defeated my Archer in one strike,
and annulled my magic with no trouble.

2gq5l.jpg

The girl's voice is like a bell.
Yes, this voice is like a nightmare right now.
It's only natural.
The more beautiful my enemy is, the more of a nightmare it is as I cannot believe the difference in our strength.

"But this is your end, Master of Archer."

The point of the sword shines brilliantly.

----------On the verge of death, I understand.
With just one look, without proof…

This is the card I wanted.
The one said to be the strongest of all Servants, the hero of the sword.

"----------------------------"
I look up at the moon, accepting my death.
There's no time for me to flee or plead for my life.
I will die here and Tohsaka Rin's Holy Grail War will end on the third day.
There is only disgrace and regret, and I will probably vanish bearing a grudge against my enemy.

------------But still, I don't feel anything.
Something must really be wrong with me.
Even though I'm going to be killed in an instant, I adore her again.
That's right.
If you ask for regrets, that's it.

But I guess it can't be helped.
----------Because she's the most powerful Servant.
Because her figure is just so heartless, so infinitely valiant, and so beautiful-----

TXaLR.jpg
~~~

...And so ends the Prologue. Next update, we begin the actual game.

Random

Arcane
Patron
But srsly guise, I can't update again until we hit a new page. This page is already approaching critical mass. Would you kindly bump?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am the bone of my proxy
Shit is my body and piss is my blood
I have created over a thousand alts
Unaware of loss, Nor aware of gain
Withstood pain to bypass bans, waiting for one’s arrival
I have no regrets. This is the only path
My whole life was unlimited troll works
P.S. - You could use spoiler tags.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I shall kindly bump sir :salute:

EDIT: It appears you're now clear for posting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom