Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Rip Off Something Awful - Dark Omen or No Love For 56K

puppyonastik

Augur
Thanks for the update Jasede. Was quite a boring mission, but your experiments kept it amusing. :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hated it. Oh, it's fun to play, but there's only so many times killing a troll is entertaining. Stay tuned for the next one, it's hilariously harsh. Not as bad as the serpentine slops before the trolls, but -FOUR MOTHERFUCKING ARCHER UNITS- all aimed at the advancing troops.

But I like to think I found a rather cute way to deal with it. >_>

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Use the missile invincibility shield you picked up a couple of missions ago? Blind firing mortars? Teleport wizard and burninate the countryside?

Nael

Arcane
I have to say I'm enjoying the hell out of this thread. it's a great read for a slow day at work. Keep up the great work Jasede.

For those having trouble getting this to work in XP has anyone tried using Dosbox (i'm just assuming this is a DOS based game due to it's release date)? Another solution might be to try running it in Win95 mode from the shortcut option available in the "Options" menu for the shortcut. I have never had too much success with the latter option but Dosbox works well for most old games if you know how to tweak the settings. Funny story while i'm on the subject... I always had problems with my nVidia 7800GT running old DOS/Win95 games, Dosbox or no but when I recently upgraded to an 8800GT all my old games run without flaw and WITHOUT any kind of hacking tomfoolery. Guess y'all just need to upgrade yer shit to play ancient video games :D

Anyways, thanks again Jasede for helping pass such an agonizingly boring day. :cool:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chapter 12-2 - Vae Victis

Welcome back to Let's Play Dark Omen! We got some exciting missions ahead... well, I lie: one exciting mission. While I have more done and uploaded, I can not really find the time to write the reports to them just yet, so let's continue watching Commander Bernhardt on his important task: getting to the Hand of Nagash before the undead manage to free it, thus empowering the Dread King.

Last time we watched him and his men fight some trolls with his old friend Ragnar, who decided to join our cause out of gratitude. The men are weary from all the fighting, but we can not rest just yet. We must make haste to reach the Hand of Nagash in time! Days pass as our forces travel through the abandoned, frozen north, too harsh for anyone but the hardiest of men and monsters to settle there. Suddenly...

:x Undead hordes on the road ahead!
:evil: Hack... them... to... PIECES!

Battle 18 - Porcupine

A fun battle. We're up against the undead who want to stop our march onto the glacier. They have a well-defended defensive position, but more on that later.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-44-05-42.jpg

Remember how Vladimir said he'd join us? There he is, Vladimir, Ice Mage extraordinare with a Rooshen accent. He's about as powerful as Luther, except that most undead have a weakness against fire and will take more damage from Bright Magic than ice magic. Nonetheless he's useful even though you will see I tend to neglect him. His presence is crucial this battle. Why?

031.jpg

030.jpg

Those two spells! The first is a (relatively) long range cold attack spell that tends to hurt a lot, the second is... that's right, a castable shield of Ptolos!

032.jpg

Here's the situation from what we can see upon deployment: undead archers defending a skull screamer catapult, nestled atop some hills. Not good, for us. Now you will say: but Jasede, why not teleport your wizards there and kill the catapult? And I answer: because none of them got their respective teleport spell this battle! Or the last battles, for that matter...

029.jpg

We deploy the troops in a visually appealing semi-circle. I like it. The AI tends to go for the biggest threat first: the cannon, the mortar and the archer. Should they attack us we can easily charge into the undead's flanks.

Now all we need to do is to actually make them attack us!

028.jpg

First, our wizards get a chance to shine. The ice mage casts his protection from missiles spell on Luther.

027.jpg

Who, unafraid and unharmed, walks through a hail of arrows, close enough to cast a firestorm on an archer unit, wreaking havoc!

026.jpg

This pisses off a whole bunch of undead... but wait, what's that? Undead chariot?

025.jpg

emot-gonk.gif

024.jpg

Archers! Mortar! Wizards! Cannon! Magic weapons & banners! All fire! The undead chariot is a horrible enemy. He's like a troll, except non-regenerating, tougher, stronger and horribly fast. Take them down as soon as you can or pay the price.

023.jpg

They seem quite weak against the ice spells of Vladimir though, for some reason, and hence we dispatch this one before it comes too close for comfort. There's still a huge undead horde advancing, though.

022.jpg

Some undead horsemen managed to break through and engage Fletcher and his crossbowmen in melee. I don't mind. Why would I? This allows my cavalry to charge into their backs, killing them quite a bit faster than they would have if they had needed to fight them head-on.

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

Now it's just a matter of mopping up the few survivors. Nothing exciting happening, except in the last shot: the necromancer tries to kill our flagellants. Too bad they are protected by dispel magic! Ragnar's men blow the Horn of Urgok and the necromancer flees from the map. At least one of the foes finally has some sense! Please notice that the three ogres killed a whole regiment of skeletons without losing a guy. All alone.

018.jpg

Intelligence reports we still have a few archers and the catapult left. Please remember that this catapult can annihilate whole regiments if it scores a direct hit. The only disadvantage? It can't aim worth shit on moving targets. What we need in this situation are brave elite commando troops.

017.jpg

Fletcher and his men fit the bill! Protected with both the shield of Ptolos AND the ice magic that protects from missiles, they set out on their dangerous task. It's 12 men against about eighty skeleton archers and a catapult.

016.jpg

Success! The brave men do not get hit by the catapult and manage to destroy the skeletons who manned it.

015.jpg

Let's kill the other archers the same way.... OH SHIT! RETREAT RETREAT~

014.jpg

Faster! I click "charge" like crazy so the wizard and the crossbowmen move a tiny bit faster south.

013.jpg

Whew! We make it just in time!

012.jpg

Oh boy.

011.jpg

The tornado-storm thingy spell is surprisingly good against wraiths too! Weakening them helps loads since even though not too powereful, wraiths can sustain lots of punishment.

010.jpg

Impressions from the melee.

009.jpg

This might very well be the only magic weapon in the game that isn't hidden- some skeletons carry it. We'll check it out later.

008.jpg

The rest is easy. Shield of Ptolos alone might not be enough, but combined with the protective ice magic, the crossbowmen just rape those archers. Those two regiments of four are going down.

007.jpg

Three of four.

006.jpg

And the last are killed by some massive assault the melee troops can gather experience. Misison complete!

005.jpg

Not bad.

004.jpg

Not bad at all!

I don't want to hear any comment about elven archers being better than Fletcher's men. I want to see those pointy-eared fags pull this off, fearlessly slaying archers while a dozen of arrows are just barely being repelled by some flaky shield and an ice mage's spell that flickers weirdly.

002.jpg

Here's the sword we found. Sweet! It's like another banner of wrath, but even better: it makes the wielder ignore enemy armor. Yes, that's right. Enemies with 5 shields? We fight them as if they had none. Now I want you to remember that the flagellants do a TON of damage IF they manage to pierce armor...

001.jpg

Bright wizard close to level 2, Morgan close to level 3 (the final level), Fletcher too, and Ragnar and the ogres about to make their first level soonish too. We're pretty well off. Also, loads of cash. I hope the game actually will offer something to spend it on soon. :/

To be continued! Stay tuned: next time we finally see the Hand of Nagash!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You know, you may be boastful of your manliness for picking manly crossbowmen over faggity elves, but you're still leaning on two friggin' wizards to win your battles for you. Seriously, how poofed up is that?

Just kidding, good fight. Your flagellants should be extremely amusing to watch from now on.

You prefer the shield of Ptolos with your crossbowmen over the flagellants? Crossbowmen can duke it out with stationary archers once the battle is finished, true, but flagellants could charge and wipe 'em out right quick.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I am abandoning this since apparently I am just here for the attention. If someone wants the savegame, tell me.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
You can't abandon this LP. It would look like you are trying to get attention by causing drama. :(

Shannow

Waster of Time
You were? And here I was you were trying to entertain us with something interesting because the rest of the Codex seems to consist of right-wing faggots and and drama queens. :(
Seriously though, there has been little of interest for me on the codex lately. If you abandon this thread "little" might diminish to hardly anything...

Your choice but I ask you to reconsider.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Goddamnit Jasede, put up a bestiary shot of the Undead Chariot.

Oh, and stop letting these assholes get to you.

If you see me tell you to tone down, I'm being honest. A lot of these guys are here because they are miserable, and want to share that with everyone else. You are one of the few people who tries to provide some amount of value. Never forget that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Fine, I'll finish the campaign. There's only six or so missions left, anyway.

Also, no bestiary shot of the chariot: it does not exist in the game. I could draw one for you, though, but I warn you, my drawings of circles look exactly like my drawings of squares.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Jasede said:
I could draw one for you, though

I demand this and an appropriate description of danger levels and inherent bonuses

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
chariot.jpg

emot-laffo.gif

Rofl! I am speechless. This is going in the first thread post. I like the SA vibe this thread has. B-) I owe you one, Sovy~

Stats of the chariot, at least those that matter:

Strength 5
Toughness 5
Wound 3

This basically means: ouch.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jasede, have you considered banning yourself? Or you could just post in this thread and Strategy Games and not post in other parts of the site.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Jasede said:
Also, no bestiary shot of the chariot: it does not exist in the game.

What's this, then, eh? (I prefer Sovy Kurosei's version, tho')
Description from the EXE file:

"These horrifying contraptions are constructed from bone and sinew and are pulled by Skeleton steeds. They inflict tremendous damage when charging enemy troops and will never flee from hand-to-hand combat. Undead Chariots are evil and unnatural machines which cause fear and are immune to this type of psychology themselves."

So I'd think it's in there somewhere. Check the multiplayer army creator thingy, perhaps?

Anyhow. Keep up the posting, it'd be a shame to see an awesome Let's Play of an awesome game get cut in half.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Chariot!
emot-neckbeard.gif

Great work, Sovy.

Good stats on it, too, damn.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
We should hook you up with a custom title for your hard work.

And... other... rewards. (>_>)

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I only drew one picture.

When is the next installment going to be posted? The people want moar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom