Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
...for the first time. What mods/unofficial patches do I need?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Make sure to get that mod that removes the ugly shrink wrap effect on enchanted items. Think it was called the No Glow patch or something similar.

http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/ this is a wonderful guide to getting Morrowind up-to-date without changing the core game too much. There's a lot to it, but I really recommend it; I've just gotten obsessed with the game all over again over the last month, and this helped me get up to speed with everything I've forgotten or missed over the last while.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Awesome site you've found Jimbob, I too have wish to reinstall Morrowind now :)
All that fuss with plugins did put me off replaying Morrowind quite some times, there always were some two mods which crashed game when together :?

thepickler

Novice
Since Morrowind was released, I've - on three occasions - devoted a week to simply gathering the mods required to make playing the game worthwhile, and then tweaking them all to work together.
I'm sorely tempted to give it one more try now that I've got my projector set up to play on - but, fuck, a whole week of evenings after work devoted to that kind of hassle, for a game that's not that great... I just can't.

That site you linked to has a lot of good links to mods - but what would be the best is if someone just compiled the 200 or so modifications required to make Morrowind enjoyable into one super, mega, all-in-one mod, for easy download.

Has anyone done anything remotely like that which you could link me to? Even just, say, 30 at a time? It would make it so much more appealing.

Morrowind. What a shame. So very close to being an interesting game, but it ends up just being a toy, really: a fantastic hiking simulator, with dress-up.

Chefe

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/ this is a wonderful guide to getting Morrowind up-to-date without changing the core game too much. There's a lot to it, but I really recommend it; I've just gotten obsessed with the game all over again over the last month, and this helped me get up to speed with everything I've forgotten or missed over the last while.

Bleh. Just follow it up to step 8.
Don't install any grass mods. They are hideous.
Don't use the morrowind graphics extender unless you're prepared to mess with the HDR shaders. Don't use distant land, as it makes the world seem tiny (like Oblivion!) and it makes the water look incredibly ugly (default Morrowind water is beautiful - be sure to turn on the pixel shader!) along with playing hacky sack with your framerate.
Install galsiah's character development along with morrowind advanced.
Play. Enjoy.

thepickler said:
That site you linked to has a lot of good links to mods - but what would be the best is if someone just compiled the 200 or so modifications required to make Morrowind enjoyable into one super, mega, all-in-one mod, for easy download.
Select your mods yourself, instead of relying on someone else's taste.

edit:
Chefe said:
Don't use the morrowind graphics extender unless you're prepared to mess with the HDR shaders. Don't use distant land, as it makes the world seem tiny (like Oblivion!) and it makes the water look incredibly ugly (default Morrowind water is beautiful - be sure to turn on the pixel shader!) along with playing hacky sack with your framerate.
Your opinion. I'd suggest to at least try distant land and MGE water.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

Yeah, uh, check out the more recent versions. It solves all of those complaints.

If I install point from 2 to 5 will the game work?

Yeah, they're all essentials, covered in the Morrowind 2009 guide. However, Better Heads is slightly outdated; go for a newer replacer like Leeloo's Changing Faces or Beryl's Head Replacer.

thepickler

Novice
Morrowind Combat Enhancer: Yay or Nay? Does it make it more arcadey like Oblivion?

Combat Enhanced is kind of fun. It adds bullet time, and five different combos you can perform for each weapon type depending on your skill level. The combos are cool and liven up the combat considerably; you can slash a mage's throat to silence them and stop them casting spells, gouge eyes to blind them, knock them down to get a bit of breathing space, disarm them, and once they're low enough on health, pull off moves like beheading and chopping off arms.

It doesn't exactly improve it in the RPG stakes, but it's fun and makes the combat a bit more tolerable sometimes.

Also, forgot, another vote for Galsiah's Character Development. It's my first time playing with it, and I'm wondering why I waited so long.

Chefe

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:

Yeah, uh, check out the more recent versions. It solves all of those complaints.

Nope. You can download water replacers to make it look slightly better, but the water is still this incredibly solid blue and is no replacement for the default water. The distant land is more of my personal opinion, because originally Vivec and Balmora seemed to be so far away from Seyda Neen, but with distant land turned on, you can see them like they're right in front of you, and the world goes down several sizes. You still have to mess with the HDR shaders to get the right look for your computer, but there is benefit there (I do recomment MGE for the lighting improvements, and was merely giving a warning that you have to spend some time playing with those settings).

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
So I will try to make heads and tails out of this:

1. We go from point #1 to #8 ( http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/ )
2. Install - pluginless glow remover ( http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20872 )
3. Install - MGE 3.80 ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/files/ )
4. Install - Better Bodies 2.2 ( http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3880 )
5. Install - Leeloo's Changing Faces or Beryl's Head Replaer which is better and why?
6. Install - Combat Enhanced ( http://aerelorn.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=553 ). Do I need "Morrowind Enchanced 1.21" with it?

Galsiah's Character Development - what is this again?

Chefe

Erudite
Yea. I forgot there was a newer version than the one on PES.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just listening to the main theme makes me want to replay the game ...

Ah well, still have to play Arena and then Daggerfall before that.

Chefe said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Nope. You can download water replacers to make it look slightly better, but the water is still this incredibly solid blue and is no replacement for the default water.

It looks as good as or better than the default water for me, I'll take screenshots if I can be bothered (I can't)

I do agree about it making the world seem too small, though, so on reflection I'd probably advise against it for a first playthrough.

Data4

Arcane
thepickler said:
... but what would be the best is if someone just compiled the 200 or so modifications required to make Morrowind enjoyable into one super, mega, all-in-one mod, for easy download.

Has anyone done anything remotely like that which you could link me to? Even just, say, 30 at a time? It would make it so much more appealing.

You'd think such a thing would be welcomed, but the Morrowind modding community is made up of people who release their work to the internet at large, but get extremely butthurt at the notion of anyone modifying their work without their blessing. I can easily see thread after thread of BAAAWWW about how this or that person included someone's piss and shit animations in a ZOMGREALIZM bundle without the modder's permission.

Bunch of attention whores...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom