Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

Eldritch said:
Thanks, "Better Heads" it is then. I couldn't find a lot of screenshots sampling the graphical changes but some of the links to the portrait bundles I followed from here sure gave me a bad impression.
Since I haven't tried any other head replacer and jimbob said that BH is out of date, you might want to try all other mods for yourself. Personally, I'm quite happy with BH and I'm too lazy to try something else.

baronjohn

Cipher
The only Morrowind mod worth bothering with is Galsiah's Character Development. -> http://uk.geocities.com/galsiah/

To avoid frustration you might also like a house mod that you can teleport into and out of. I recommend the Ashlander's Tent. -> http://www.xs4all.nl/~dleijen/ashlandertent.html

readme said:
# Removes limits on all skills and attributes.
# Slows down skill gain by making skills exponentially harder to increase once they pass a certain threshold. This threshold is based on initial score in a skill, so that major skills slow down at higher values than minor / misc. skills.
# Attribute gain is based directly on skill gain. Each skill influences from three to five attributes by varying amounts. Skills with higher starting values have a higher influence on attribute gain. Speed of attribute gain is also proportional to the amount of initial skill points in relevant skills.
# Levels are effectively removed - you will never see the level up screen. [though not totally removed, since levelled lists need to work]
# Health is calculated directly from skills and endurance (so fortify endurance spells etc. will increase your health). Health is independent of the order of increase of skills / attributes.
# Magicka regenerates at a rate governed by your initial magic skills, your current magic skills and your willpower. (this can be turned off, but is recommended for anyone wanting to be a pure mage, since mages will no longer end up as good fighters). Maximum Magicka increases based on both your magic skills and your intelligence. (this too can be disabled)

I wouldn't bother with graphics mods. Morrowind's default graphics feel very complete. Mods just make a mess of it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The only Morrowind mod worth bothering with is Galsiah's Character Development. -> http://uk.geocities.com/galsiah/
Have that.
To avoid frustration you might also like a house mod that you can teleport into and out of. I recommend the Ashlander's Tent. -> http://www.xs4all.nl/~dleijen/ashlandertent.html
I will add that.
http://www.sabregirl.com/mods/creature.html
Take this one.

Just started playing...

Question: I just exited the ports office and got attacker by 3 elfs, is this normal/scripted?

Question: I just exited the ports office and got attacker by 3 elfs, is this normal/scripted?

If the bodies are still there, open up the console (tilde key), click one of them and type ORI. Should display the name of the mod they came from.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you want to run faster, train your Speed and Athletics...

Bah, people these days.

Only mods I use these days when I replay are "Realistic Lighting" and "Darker , Hi-Res Textures".

Mods I used before I stopped caring about its gameplay was Adventurers 3.0 (balancing) and Adventurer NPCs (adds tons of NPCs that say nothing, but their presence adds flavor.)

Chefe

Erudite
Mackerel said:
I would agree about the plastic look of the MGE water as well, but I think it's worth it for all the extras MGE gives you, and if you use Phal's water shader it doesn't look half bad.
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/696/water1.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5017/water2.jpg

What other settings do you use? I've tried that water shader, and several others (along with different water textures) that I could find, and I could not get it to look like the screenshots. While the "flow" was a bit better, the water still had this really blue look to it.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Chefe said:
Mackerel said:
I would agree about the plastic look of the MGE water as well, but I think it's worth it for all the extras MGE gives you, and if you use Phal's water shader it doesn't look half bad.
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/696/water1.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5017/water2.jpg

What other settings do you use? I've tried that water shader, and several others (along with different water textures) that I could find, and I could not get it to look like the screenshots. While the "flow" was a bit better, the water still had this really blue look to it.
I installed the latest MGE and the water looks exactly like in that screenshot.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's a long time ago I played MW, but two mods I used all the time were Srikandis Alchemy and Camping Gear mod.

Inziladun

Magister
Eldritch said:
Thanks, "Better Heads" it is then. I couldn't find a lot of screenshots sampling the graphical changes but some of the links to the portrait bundles I followed from here sure gave me a bad impression.

"Better Heads" is definitely worth it. For the most part the upgraded heads are the same mood and style as the old ones, with only a couple exceptions *cough* Morgan Freeman *cough*

But assuming you can ignore the familiar looking Redguard on the starting boat, you should get it.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Need help.

I playing as a dark elf. I'm in Balmo-something and my character is hungry. My question - how the fuck do I feed him... it's says I need to go hunting.

Giving him bread or other stuff says "it doesn't have any effect", the hell?

Talonfire

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
Need help.

I playing as a dark elf. I'm in Balmo-something and my character is hungry. My question - how the fuck do I feed him... it's says I need to go hunting.

Giving him bread or other stuff says "it doesn't have any effect", the hell?

If you're using a realism mod than check the readme, usually only certain foods and drinks will satiate hunger and thirst. If you're using "necessities" most towns will have wells you can drink out of, and I believe you have to cook your food.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Don't know.

capture1y.jpg

capture2iue.jpg

capture3s.jpg

capture4.jpg

capture5a.jpg

capture6a.jpg

What version of Morrowind Comes Alive is that? Anything later than 4.1 is... stupid, as I recall.

Also, open up LGNPC Pax Redoran in the toolset and save it, then do the same with LGNPC Indarys Manor. This pushes them both to the end of the loading list and solves a couple of dialogue conflicts; there might be a couple more, it wasn't entirely smooth sailing for me, sadly. I'm enough of an old hand to get around them, so let me know if you need any help.

Find and download LGNPC Nerevarine, LGNPC Tribunal and LGNPC Bloodmoon as well. They're not "official" LGNPC mods yet, because the team are lazy and/or have a backlog to get through, but they're made by the team members and work fine.

Anyway, I, uh... really can't see which of those would cause you to start getting hungry. What's AEV_TCA.esp?

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Admiral jimbob said:
Anyway, I, uh... really can't see which of those would cause you to start getting hungry. What's AEV_TCA.esp?
Telvannis Comes Alive (3.0) is an addon for the popular Morrowind Comes Alive mod. It implements many non-hostile NPCs in the settlements in Telvannis, also known as Tamriel Rebuilt Map 1 & 2.

TR_Data.esm is required for this file to be loaded, and it has changed since this file was last saved. You might experience problems with the game.

TR_Map2.esm is required for this file to be loaded, and it has changed since this file was last saved. You might experience problems with the game.

MCA.esm is required for this file to be loaded, and it has changed since this file was last saved. You might experience problems with the game.
Ok, I found it.
captureish.jpg

Mackerel

Augur
That's from the Ecology of Morrowind mod. You really need to read those readme files. EDIT: ok, looks like you found it.

This plugin comes in three "flavors" of esps AND esm
You'll need to pick ONE esm AND corresponding esp of the following:

1. SG-MW-ecology-BM.esp/esm
This plugin "balances" Morrowind wildlife according to ecological rules. This is what most people will want to use.
2. SG-MW-ecology-carnivore.esp/esm
This plugin does the same as the standard morrowind ecology AND forces the player to become carnivorous and must hunt creatures to live. It does this by adding meat items to all of the creatures. This carnivore version of this plugin is a stand alone "eating mod" and so shouldn't be used with other "Eating mods" such as necessities of morrowind or other versions of the carnivore mod. This plugin was originally intended to be used with the Pharlan race as they are carnivorous but it could conceivably be used with any beast race that would like to "get back to nature"
3. SG-MW-ecology-WW.esp/esm
This plugin does the same thing as the MW ecology mod but adds the ability for bloodmoon werewolf characters to "feed" on the new creatures. Adds a script to all the creatures.

I'd suggest you download mlox since you're a beginner, it can check your load order and notify you of some conflicts. Also you might want to get Wrye Mash, and make a Mashed list esp as several of those mods affect the leveled lists. It's also good for sorting your plugins and cleaning save files.

DraQ

Arcane
Why so many mods?

It's not Oblivion - it's perfectly playable as vanilla - patches, fixes and maybe some scant graphical upgrades are all you need on your first playthrough.

You can install some lore-correct content mods too if you want*.

*) translation: Make some use of your natural language and get Hagge.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Why so many mods?
Yeah, I started to have doubts myself today.

I will reinstall the game and try to use less mods.

This thing is actually pretty useful.

What version of Morrowind Comes Alive is that? Anything later than 4.1 is... stupid, as I recall.
Now you tell me. What do you mean by stupid?
Will see, it should work on the eng version of the game.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Now you tell me. What do you mean by stupid?

Adds too many classes/types that don't really fit in well, and there are a lot of bandits who use uber/unbalancing loot from low levels.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Seriously, if you need to use so many fucking mods to make a game better, you should just quit and move on to something else.

Obviously shitty game, is shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom