Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

Mackerel

Augur
That reminds me, I was looking around on the ESF the other day in the Morrowind Mods section to see what's new and I actually saw a WIP topic for an Aspergers mod, including which characters in the game were "Aspergians" and what their in game traits should be. I had a good chuckle about it.

I'm a newfag

goddamn.

<s>aaand you ruined it</s> :cool:

here, have some shitty webcomics so you too can bask in Atom's glow

00008.gif

20040901.gif

Filibirdsters_00.jpg

Mackerel said:
That reminds me, I was looking around on the ESF the other day in the Morrowind Mods section to see what's new and I actually saw a WIP topic for an Aspergers mod, including which characters in the game were "Aspergians" and what their in game traits should be. I had a good chuckle about it.

oh my god I saw that
They're making literally every character with any personality an Assburger, because obviously everyone who isn't Aspie IRL is an evil sheeple
Poor Divayth :(

piydek

Cipher
Now for those into graphics whoring in morrowind (and graphics whoring is quite important in any atmospheric hiking simulator).

I highly recommend using these shaders in MGE:

- http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7548
- http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7324

Using these with darker morrowind retexture and all the best weapons/armor/clothes/bodies/faces and a bit of AA if your graphics card can take it is really orgasmic and i don't mean that in technical sense...it's truly artistic.

When an appropriate atmospheric sound effects are added and all the default morrowind music is deleted and replaced by some slower and more atmospheric black metal tunes (i recommend bands like blut aus nord, spektr, striborg, ruhr hunter) plus when a lighting mod such as "lights 300/w icons" is added - you have a truly dark and artistic atmosphere in which one can exist for days....if sufficient brew accompanies you.

Now, along with that there's quite a few gameplay mods that can even contribute some passable content(!!) to this game. With this - bliss. I'm drinking myself to death while playing morrowind and i have no clue what time it is or even which day in the week is today.

Check these things out.

piydek

Cipher
Oh yeah, one more thing - these graphics enhances have nearly managed to bring my computer to knees (older athlon64 x2 - 4600+) 2GB ram and gf6800GS) and my CPU fan with stock cooler is going nuts, so beware.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Mogar said:
You could try Contact Hits (http://badcompany.eastz0r.net/ch.rar) along with Combat Enhanced (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=2164). Combat Enhanced adds all sorts of cool combos and Contact Hits makes it so all those swings you make with your sword actually hits the target. Its a pretty unbalanced mod but it does change things up quite a bit.
I skipped the CE because combos aren't really important for me... CH on the other hand is something that I will install ASAP.

Oh, my thought on Morrowind: "Holy shit! What atmospheric game."

Double Ogre

Scholar
Mogar said:
Contact Hits makes it so all those swings you make with your sword actually hits the target.
WhiskeyWolf said:
CH on the other hand is something that I will install ASAP.
You should try Oblvion, it has this feature by default.

Mogar

Scholar
OgreOgre said:
Mogar said:
Contact Hits makes it so all those swings you make with your sword actually hits the target.
WhiskeyWolf said:
CH on the other hand is something that I will install ASAP.

Combat in Morrowind is atrocious. As boring as Oblivion's combat was, it's still more fun then Morrowind's.

I skipped the CE because combos aren't really important for me... CH on the other hand is something that I will install ASAP.

Well, I'd go on and try CE too. It's a small download, and if you don't want it you can always disable it. It adds quite a bit of depth to an otherwise boring system.

piydek

Cipher
You all do seem like FPS players - "my weapon is visually missing the target". "i need a dodge animation so i can believe i missed" blah blah. Is that really important?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
piydek said:
You all do seem like FPS players - "my weapon is visually missing the target". "i need a dodge animation so i can believe i missed" blah blah. Is that really important?
Yes, it helps a lot.

OgreOgre said:
Yes, noticed that it's actually a cheat. Till now I fought the combat is broken in "this way", not that the enemy dodges animation is missing.

Mogar

Scholar
piydek said:

Actually, I'd find the dodging annoying even there was an animation. I wouldn't mind dodging, but everyone seems too adept at it and it ends up artificially extending battles to annoying lengths as you and your enemy swing at each other over and over again to no effect. I know it was all in the name of balancing agile characters against other types, but this is one of the rare cases where it detracted from the gameplay, rather then added.

piydek said:

It's weird to see your weapon go through the other guy 6 times without doing anything, and on the 7th time it causes damage for no other reason than you getting lucky with the rolls.

It's not a problem if the combat's like this

poolrad-007.png

because you imagine the whole fight, you're okay with basically just praying something happens. But Morrowind makes you walk around while fighting, so you expect the hits to be shown too. It's a weird mix. It's like playing on a slot machine but instead of sitting there, you have to jump around at the same time.

DraQ

Arcane
Mogar said:
OgreOgre said:

Combat in Morrowind is atrocious. As boring as Oblivion's combat was, it's still more fun then Morrowind's.
Disagreed. MW's combat was bland, crude graft of RPG mechanics onto an FPS engine, but it was still mostly an RPG combat. OB's combat is some frankenstein monster - as visceral as what you might find in old RPGs and involving as much character skill as your generic FPS, rather than the other way around.

"upon reaching 100points in blunt you learn how to stab people with maces, doing slightly more damage (they now only take about 10 hits to their heads, assuming no armour) and giving you a slight chance of *randomly picks status effect* paralyzing your target. (Exact mechanics, animations and status effects are the same for all weapons. You'll paralyze-stab people with daggers too, once you reach 100pts in blade)"

Add the removal of random elements from the mechanics (with the AI unable to produce any kind of unexpected behaviour that would make hostile encounter differ at least a little bit), count in oversimplification of underlying mechanics (compare how AC and locational AC is handled in MW and OB), and you have a horrible yawnfest in a game consisting mostly of combat. Fuck, repeatedly clicking on monsters in first Diablo was orgasmic in comparison.

I'll always prefer bare essentials RPG combat, than some malformed offspring of it and an arcade one, that fails horribly on both fronts.

Yes, I admit, OB's combat did look somewhat promising when I was swinging at one-hit rats in chargen dungeon - the whooshing sound my sword made was particularly appealing.

Nah, but it would be a nice addition. Worked well even in TB Wizardry 8.

piydek

Cipher
Dodge animation works in context of non-"shooter" combat - stuff like "i attack, my character swings, dice roll says 'miss' and dodge animation occurs". In FPS combat like morrowind, it just wouldn't work/isn't important. Yes, it's just a bit clumsy the way it is, but it just doesn't matter at all. I couldn't care less.

In shooters, you're usually keeping a certain distance between you and the enemy. In Morrowind, if you're a melee user you get very close to the enemy, so it's really jarring. And for archers and magic users, the enemy doesn't react to an arrow/fireball to the face, it's like fighting the Terminator.

But meh,guess it's just down to opinion, then. It doesn't ruin the game, anyway

btw, I liked Oblivion's combat. Crank up the difficulty setting and you'll have fun. It's gonna be boring if you leave it on the default Normal.

I find my hits connect more often than not if I have over 35-40 skill, as long as I keep my fatigue at max. That's an incredibly important factor, enough that I saved up and bought a Constant Effect Restore Fatigue 10 points enchantment as soon as possible.

DraQ

Arcane
piydek said:
Dodge animation works in context of non-"shooter" combat - stuff like "i attack, my character swings, dice roll says 'miss' and dodge animation occurs". In FPS combat like morrowind, it just wouldn't work/isn't important. Yes, it's just a bit clumsy the way it is, but it just doesn't matter at all. I couldn't care less.
I don't really care much about the issue either, but there is a lot of room for improvement - even Daggerfall handled this better, if only because it used special sound for parry/glancing blow. If Morrowind had block animations, it could as well have dodge/parry ones.

The fact that marriage of de-abstracted movement and swinging, with abstract mechanics is inherently clumsy is another issue. There is a lot of interesting things that could be made with good AI, smart, context-sensitive interface, physical engine and skill system designed to operate within the context of actual, physical combat, rather than abstract to-hit rolls and overall hit points.

Mogar

Scholar
DraQ said:
There is a lot of interesting things that could be made with good AI, smart, context-sensitive interface, physical engine and skill system designed to operate within the context of actual, physical combat, rather than abstract to-hit rolls and overall hit points.

You mean, kinda like Mount and Blade's combat?

TrustNo1

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
I find my hits connect more often than not if I have over 35-40 skill, as long as I keep my fatigue at max. That's an incredibly important factor, enough that I saved up and bought a Constant Effect Restore Fatigue 10 points enchantment as soon as possible.

Gee, I wonder how many of the complainers became frustrated because they never realized this, thus allways missing with their hits. Together with the "couldn't find Caius Cosades" thing you become kind of suspicious.

sabishii

Arbiter
I found MW's combat to be pretty fun if I turned off "always use best attack." Not that I would really use the weaker attacks more, but that I had to move a certain way to execute the attack.

TrustNo1 said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Gee, I wonder how many of the complainers became frustrated because they never realized this, thus allways missing with their hits. Together with the "couldn't find Caius Cosades" thing you become kind of suspicious.

Kinda hard not to notice since it says so in the tutorial (I think...or was it in the manual).Problem is, your non major skills are shit to raise. And from what I've seen, people like to put hard to raise skills as majors (like enchanting), since combat skills raise fairly quickly....but are still shit to raise until the 50's.

btw, as said, the "lights 300" od makes caves 1000 times better, you have to use torches instead of just squinting your eyes.

Mackerel

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
piydek said:

It's weird to see your weapon go through the other guy 6 times without doing anything, and on the 7th time it causes damage for no other reason than you getting lucky with the rolls.

It's not a problem if the combat's like this

poolrad-007.png

because you imagine the whole fight, you're okay with basically just praying something happens. But Morrowind makes you walk around while fighting, so you expect the hits to be shown too. It's a weird mix. It's like playing on a slot machine but instead of sitting there, you have to jump around at the same time.
You do know that's just the screen before an encounter starts right? You don't have to imagine the whole fight with PoR.

poolofradiance.png

I always liked "Herbalism for Purists". Instead of harvesting consisting of you opening a plant's inventory, you simply click and a script decides whether you succeed in getting anything, and how much. Also, it changes the plant's appearance, signifying the interaction. Mushrooms lose their cap, their instance.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=2212

And having a large list of mods can be great if you've played everything the game has to offer, and simply want to see new content. 250+ have given me about 25 new factions (some more involved than others), businesses to own, run and profit from (mines, plantations, etc), thousands of new things in loot lists, small landmasses all around the island that have lore-grounded stuff, new towns and communities, expanded conversations and more.

It's allowed me to get more enjoyment out of a game I normally could have said 'seen everything' about years ago.

I have an equal amount in my Oblivion file...and Morrowind is still just a better, more atmospheric game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom