Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

Xi

Arcane
Clutter.jpg

clutter2.jpg

I actually collected all that shit, played through pretty much everything with that char, and enjoyed it while it lasted. However, it's difficult to go back to it. Haven't even attempted to play it in a few years.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/ this is a wonderful guide to getting Morrowind up-to-date without changing the core game too much. There's a lot to it, but I really recommend it; I've just gotten obsessed with the game all over again over the last month, and this helped me get up to speed with everything I've forgotten or missed over the last while.
Ignore the distant land advice on that rag. Morrowind looks as best as it can with distant land turned on. With Distant land(MGE) turned off, you may as well just not bother with MGE...

[EDIT]
If you have a crappy ancient computer(pre-2006, or integrated teh grafix shit), don't even bother with MGE int he first place...

DraQ

Arcane
Xi said:
However, it's difficult to go back to it. Haven't even attempted to play it in a few years.
Different build + no trainers + no exploits = win.

But you certainly do know that.

Pure* spellcasting build, for example, is always fun.

*)backup weapon permited in a pinch, same with bounds, but that's that.

DraQ

Arcane
JudasIscariot said:
Has anyone here tried out that Muffinwind Morrowind mod?? How is it? And is it good?

No, but I did play Hagge Island, and it's official-expansion grade, few bloopers like thoroughly broken reputation system, learn-by-dying puzzles and some shoddy 3D models, notwithstanding.

If you have PL version of MW, download it ASAP.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
DraQ said:
JudasIscariot said:
Has anyone here tried out that Muffinwind Morrowind mod?? How is it? And is it good?

No, but I did play Hagge Island, and it's official-expansion grade, few bloopers like thoroughly broken reputation system, learn-by-dying puzzles and some shoddy 3D models, notwithstanding.

If you have PL version of MW, download it ASAP.

I had the US version before I moved to Poland. Why should I have the PL one? Is Hagge Island only in Polish and won't work with the US version ??

Depends, really. I've made all the necessary changes - dialogue overhauls, cell redesigns, decoration, bugfixing etc - apart from remaking the dungeons, but I was planning on expanding it a lot beyond that - new quests, new areas, fleshed-out backstory and characters. But while I'm not doing this for attention, the complete lack of interest is a bit discouraging (guess it doesn't have enough anime characters or Balmora houses), so I might just give it a bit more work and release the fixed version as it is.

Once I got this Havish mod, but never went there. A city south of Seyda Neen, I believe. People say it's well done and lore friendly (it's like a small village, so it doesn't matter much), and you can gamble there.

There's also another one that creates a 100-floor dungeon. P good right? Well, it's inside a trapdoor in Arrile's store, in Seyda Neen :lol: . If you can ignore the retarded placement, it's fun.

DraQ

Arcane
JudasIscariot said:
I had the US version before I moved to Poland. Why should I have the PL one? Is Hagge Island only in Polish and won't work with the US version ??
Polish version isn't fully compatible, and this is a complex mod - might not work.

As for now, there is no English version, and, while an improved version doing away with all the bad stuff I've mentioned, is under way, no release date has been specified.

Admiral jimbob said:
You're thinking Haldenshore. Havish is a huge island to the south of Solstheim, way more ambitious. Both by the same author, great mods.

I've always had a soft spot for Haldenshore. Melds almost perfectly with Sedya Neen, and makes both more interesting for it. The parrying bracers and the new Thieves Guild alone were enough reason to install it.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Admiral jimbob said:
Depends, really. I've made all the necessary changes - dialogue overhauls, cell redesigns, decoration, bugfixing etc - apart from remaking the dungeons, but I was planning on expanding it a lot beyond that - new quests, new areas, fleshed-out backstory and characters. But while I'm not doing this for attention, the complete lack of interest is a bit discouraging (guess it doesn't have enough anime characters or Balmora houses), so I might just give it a bit more work and release the fixed version as it is.

Any chance of seeing Cakes of Wrath for Morrowind?? I know you said on your site that you wouldn't do it because of Oblivion but can it be done for MW??

Not a chance, I'm afraid. The Muffinwind storyline is wrapped up pretty well, and while I'd have loved to expand it in a sequel... eh. There's not enough interest in Muffinwind Enhanced to motivate me to do much time-consuming stuff, I'm not about about to start a Total Conversion. Either way, though, as I said, the Muffinwind storyline is well wrapped-up; I'll almost certainly venture into modding again one day, and while it might be a sequel or spiritual sequel, it's more likely to be something totally new. Muffinwind Enhanced Edition will probably be my farewell to the Morrowind community and that little chapter of my life, though one I'll look back on with unashamed fondness.

Xi

Arcane
DraQ said:

That actually sounds entertaining. I would dread the beginning though. Finding spell effects, getting money to make the spells, and being able to kill multiple foes would be difficult at least. ;P

Pure spell-casting builds are absolute hell for the first while in Morrowind.

One of the few spells you'll start with, if you're lucky, is a dinky fire spell. And the nearby bandit cave (one of the opportunities for experience and money pointed out to you) is filled with Dark Elves...who are all highly resistant to fire.

I suggest stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and then buying a couple Summon Skeleton scrolls to do all the combat for you in that cave. Just bury them in undead minions.

Edit: Unless one of your background choices landed you Ancestor Guardian. Then you might be able to use that summon to distract them while you chip away with the fire spell.

DraQ

Arcane
Xi said:
DraQ said:

That actually sounds entertaining. I would dread the beginning though. Finding spell effects, getting money to make the spells, and being able to kill multiple foes would be difficult at least. ;P
Well, you don't use much gear, so you can make money rather quickly.
Finding spell effects can actually be pain in the ass, same with early magicka restoration if you use Atronach sign (which happens to give you enough magicka for comfortable spellcasting regardless of race), you can, however, absorb shrine blessings early on (join a religious faction if you want them cheaper/free), then get mace of Molag Bal and/or make about 15s spells that summon a spellcasting being using effects you're most resistant to (for example, I play an Argonian, so Daedroth is a natural choice), then annoy it.
As for multiple enemies, that's what AoE spells are for.
Making spells is actually pretty thrilling, as there are many non-obvious combinations yielding interesting effects, and it's a magely thing to do your own research, isn't it?
Just don't rely on premade spells past early game, sure - some, like lightning or God's fire are viable even later on, especially given that premade spells are cheaper, but most premade spells are only useful to hybrid spellcasters and none are as versatile as things you can do yourself.
Some say that the magicka pool in MW is just too shallow to allow effective spellcasting, but it's their fault not game's that they attempt brute force approach, throwing multiple elemental effects 100-100 for *many* s together 'till they stick, then wonder why their new "uber spell" takes several times their max magicka to cast and, even if they had enough magicka, would have about -60% chance of success.

Making good custom spells takes some knowledge of the mechanics - what stat influences what, how are individual effects applied, etc. - as well as some thought and finese.

Good mage knows what resists what.
Good mage can reliably paralyse charging Orc with 100 willpower, stopping them in their tracks.
Good mage can permanently pin about any enemy in place.
Good mage can permanently destroy magic capability of other mages.
Good mage can knock the wind out of people/creatures/gods with his mind leaving them sprawled around, gasping helplessly like a fish out of the water.
Good mage can instantly kill large group of people before any of them can alert the guards.
Good mage has no use for Boots of Blinding Speed or Scrolls of Windwalker.
Good mage is so badass that he can incinerate a fire atronach.
Good mage swamps the multiple resistant/reflective enemies with endless waves of daedra and undead.
Good mage, if he wishes to get his hands dirty, can personally enchant a chitin weapon with a soul of a rat so that it surpasses it's daedric counterpart.
Good mage detects the creatures in the dungeons so that he can blast them right through the walls.

And that's without restoration, which I never majored in, but which seems to allow for short-term exponential increase of one's spellcasting prowess, as well as making a mage potentially the best warrior AND thief in the game.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Pure spell-casting builds are absolute hell for the first while in Morrowind.

One of the few spells you'll start with, if you're lucky, is a dinky fire spell. And the nearby bandit cave (one of the opportunities for experience and money pointed out to you) is filled with Dark Elves...who are all highly resistant to fire.
Luckily enough, the trader in Seyda-Neen where you get off the boat, is an Altmer who can teach you spells like frostbite, spark and fireball for below 200 septims total.
Spark spam makes it even easier to take down the smugglers in this cave than playing heavily armoured Orc warrior with a big ass axe would (though, of course, spark is a very weak spell and should be replaced ASAP).

I suggest stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and then buying a couple Summon Skeleton scrolls to do all the combat for you in that cave. Just bury them in undead minions.
Meh. Stealing everything is boring and cheap, scrolls are useful as backup, but a bad investment overall and Skeletons are hardly the cannon fodder of choice when it comes to fighting low-level NPCs.
Ancestral ghosts (that you can summon right off the boat if you major in conjuration, and that you should still be able to summon reliably after buying the spell if it's merely your minor skill) are much better choice, being cheaper, easier to summon and incorporeal, which means that unenchanted chitin/iron/steel weapons can't hit them - and what weapons do low-level smugglers and other ruffians use?

Facing a big Nord several levels above you with a huge unenchanted steel warhammer he could crush your skull with like an egg even if you were a warrior and worn a decent helm plus suit of armour?
Block him with an ancestral ghost and just sit there watching the show and re-casting if the summoning expires.

Luckily enough, the trader in Seyda-Neen where you get off the boat, is an Altmer who can teach you spells like frostbite, spark and fireball for below 200 septims total.
Spark spam makes it even easier to take down the smugglers in this cave than playing heavily armoured Orc warrior with a big ass axe would (though, of course, spark is a very weak spell and should be replaced ASAP).

I think if you choose Destruction as a major skill, you start with a frost touch spell.

But it was pretty interesting to be attacked by the Tribunal assassin as I selpt outside the cave, spamming the fire spell on him, panicking when it had no almost effect... then noticing he had blue skin ( I was using a mod that changed their armor to a classic ninja one that shows the eyes), and freezing his ass off.

Had a similar problem with vampires in Oblivion (at least, I think they take more damage from fire, they're considered undead right?), when I went casual for a minute and said out loud "Oh wait, they're undead" and then started using fire.

I don't steal anything, I just buy a cheapass bow from arrile and shoot them. When they reach you, they'll be at half hp, even if you suck at archery (I think the guys in that cave are weaker than every other bandit in the game, like the bandits at the first dungeon in Oblivion). One of them even drops stars, I think.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I think if you choose Destruction as a major skill, you start with a frost touch spell.
Nope. Firebite.

But it was pretty interesting to be attacked by the Tribunal assassin as I selpt outside the cave, spamming the fire spell on him, panicking when it had no almost effect... then noticing he had blue skin ( I was using a mod that changed their armor to a classic ninja one that shows the eyes), and freezing his ass off.
Given that I play with maxed out difficulty and AAC (which introduces skill-based crit chance among other things - once I got almost lethally critted by a kwama forager after finishing MQ when it bit me in my unarmoured butt - "greaves" are fairly heavy and don't contribute much to the average armour class), early encounters with DB end very quickly when I make any mistake, including going toe-to-toe with the assassin with some builds rather than being desperately creative*.

Had a similar problem with vampires in Oblivion (at least, I think they take more damage from fire, they're considered undead right?), when I went casual for a minute and said out loud "Oh wait, they're undead" and then started using fire.
Vampires in general tend to burn nicely.

One of them even drops stars, I think.
Correction: she throws stars. Given the engine's willingness to proclaim critical hits when you're hit from afar, ranged weapons are absolutely deadly in Morrowind and their wielders should be approached with utmost care, even if those weapons are as laughable as chitin shuriken. Still, there is some moonsugar, skooma and random loot in the cave, so it's a worthwhile endeavour.

DraQ said:
Clockwork Knight said:
One of them even drops stars, I think.
Correction: she throws stars. Given the engine's willingness to proclaim critical hits when you're hit from afar, ranged weapons are absolutely deadly in Morrowind and their wielders should be approached with utmost care, even if those weapons are as laughable as chitin shuriken.

No kidding. When I got warned about the dart bandits in Tribunal, I shrugged it off like many of the other threats that were exaggerated.

Until they started sniping me from way far off with mega-damaging darts that killed me in one or two hits.

DraQ

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
No kidding. When I got warned about the dart bandits in Tribunal, I shrugged it off like many of the other threats that were exaggerated.

Until they started sniping me from way far off with mega-damaging darts that killed me in one or two hits.
Well, those darts were absolutely, positively evil - 100 physical damage x strength multiplier (likely high, as most opponents in TR are high level) x4 for likely "surprise!" critical hit multiplier, while accounting for the fact that armour works poorly against single powerful strikes in MW and that you're likely have your difficulty slider up = OUCH. Enough OUCH for a single hit to make you piss kidneys and shit liver. Good thing you can drown all but one of the faggots.

also, forgotten annotation to my previous post:

*) My low (1-3) level Argonian sorcerer, Pelagiad, Halfway tavern gets awakened by some noise - DB assassin. Assassins may not be straight out fighters but they do know their trade - sorcerers, on the other hand, aren't most able physical combatants and sitting in a small room on the end of a narrow corridor doesn't exactly help the situation, nor improve the chance of any outcome other than getting promptly stabbed to death by a ninja-wannabe. Luckily, my sorcerer has learned two useful spells earlier on: paralyse and (true to his Argonian heritage) bound spear, allowing him to deal with situation in following manner:
First, he summoned the spear, then, simultaneously, opened the door and cast paralysis at what he found beyond (DB Assassin). Then he proceeded to stab the guts out of the 'professional', almost losing as basic paralysis is a short lasting spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom